FoodBanter.com

-   -   Self-rising flour dumplings HELP (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/436159-self-rising-flour-dumplings.html)

Janet B 17-02-2016 06:18 PM

Self-rising flour dumplings HELP

I have a bag of frozen mixed berries. I want to make something in
ramekins. I also want to use up some self-rising flour that I have
that needs to be used.
Two questions:
Will there be enough juice in the ramekins from the berries to make
the dumplings rise as a topping?

Here's the recipe that I have for dumplings. Aside from changing out
the Herbes de Provence for something else, how would you change the
recipe for my cobbleresque dish? Add sugar? What spices/herbs

Dumplings:
2 1/4 cups (9 ounces) self-rising flour
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons or 2 ounces)butter
2 teaspoons Herbes de Provence
3/4 cup (6 ounces) buttermilk
1 large egg
work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse
bread crumbs. Stir in the herbs. Cover and refrigerate while you
make the filling.
To finish the dumplings, whisk the buttermilk and egg together and
stir into the dry dumpling mixture until just evenly moistened .
Scoop the batter, 1/4 cup at a time onto the simmering filling,
leaving space for the dumplings to double in size. Put the lid on the
pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 350F
NOTE: this recipe is originally for chicken and dumplings.

Janet US

Janet 17-02-2016 08:00 PM

Self-rising flour dumplings HELP

In article >,
says...

> I have a bag of frozen mixed berries. I want to make something in
> ramekins. I also want to use up some self-rising flour that I have
> that needs to be used.
> Two questions:
> Will there be enough juice in the ramekins from the berries to make
> the dumplings rise as a topping?
>
> Here's the recipe that I have for dumplings. Aside from changing out
> the Herbes de Provence for something else, how would you change the
> recipe for my cobbleresque dish? Add sugar? What spices/herbs
>
> Dumplings:
> 2 1/4 cups (9 ounces) self-rising flour
> 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons or 2 ounces)butter
> 2 teaspoons Herbes de Provence
> 3/4 cup (6 ounces) buttermilk
> 1 large egg
> work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse
> bread crumbs. Stir in the herbs. Cover and refrigerate while you
> make the filling.
> To finish the dumplings, whisk the buttermilk and egg together and
> stir into the dry dumpling mixture until just evenly moistened .
> Scoop the batter, 1/4 cup at a time onto the simmering filling,
> leaving space for the dumplings to double in size. Put the lid on the
> pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 350F
> NOTE: this recipe is originally for chicken and dumplings.
>
> Janet US

Dumplings need a generous amount of liquid (enough to float in) to
cook in and expand.

Your berries won't give off nearly enough liquid too cook dumplings in,
IMO. I'd just make a crumble topping for the ramekins instead.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-
dish/desserts/crumble/raspberry-crumble.html

Janet UK

Janet B 17-02-2016 09:42 PM

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 19:00:20 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> I have a bag of frozen mixed berries. I want to make something in
>> ramekins. I also want to use up some self-rising flour that I have
>> that needs to be used.
>> Two questions:
>> Will there be enough juice in the ramekins from the berries to make
>> the dumplings rise as a topping?
>>
>> Here's the recipe that I have for dumplings. Aside from changing out
>> the Herbes de Provence for something else, how would you change the
>> recipe for my cobbleresque dish? Add sugar? What spices/herbs
>>
>> Dumplings:
>> 2 1/4 cups (9 ounces) self-rising flour
>> 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons or 2 ounces)butter
>> 2 teaspoons Herbes de Provence
>> 3/4 cup (6 ounces) buttermilk
>> 1 large egg
>> work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse
>> bread crumbs. Stir in the herbs. Cover and refrigerate while you
>> make the filling.
>> To finish the dumplings, whisk the buttermilk and egg together and
>> stir into the dry dumpling mixture until just evenly moistened .
>> Scoop the batter, 1/4 cup at a time onto the simmering filling,
>> leaving space for the dumplings to double in size. Put the lid on the
>> pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 350F
>> NOTE: this recipe is originally for chicken and dumplings.
>>
>> Janet US

> Dumplings need a generous amount of liquid (enough to float in) to
>cook in and expand.
>
> Your berries won't give off nearly enough liquid too cook dumplings in,
>IMO. I'd just make a crumble topping for the ramekins instead.
>

>dish/desserts/crumble/raspberry-crumble.html
>
> Janet UK

I was afraid of that. I'll make beef and dumplings instead and do a
fruit crumble. thanks for the recipe, I appreciate it.
Janet US