Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cats on cats

the past interest on mountain lions. Oh, we got 'em.

<http://www.sfgate.com/outdoors/article/Study-finds-mountain-lions-are-feasting-on-house-6829205.php>

Plus, CBS did a Sunday Morning segment on how there are so many
mountain lions prowling the hills surrounding the LA basin. Best make
yer tabby a house cat, tout de suite!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15 Feb 2016 15:48:24 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> the past interest on mountain lions. Oh, we got 'em.
>
><http://www.sfgate.com/outdoors/article/Study-finds-mountain-lions-are-feasting-on-house-6829205.php>
>
>Plus, CBS did a Sunday Morning segment on how there are so many
>mountain lions prowling the hills surrounding the LA basin. Best make
>yer tabby a house cat, tout de suite!
>
>nb

I'm not in CA but my neighbor called to tell me she had a lynx perched
on the fence in her backyard. We hear reports of bobcats, mountain
lions all the time. I won't walk at night.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Many of the large cats seen are really shape shifters.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-02-15 12:14 PM, Janet B wrote:
> On 15 Feb 2016 15:48:24 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> the past interest on mountain lions. Oh, we got 'em.
>>
>> <http://www.sfgate.com/outdoors/article/Study-finds-mountain-lions-are-feasting-on-house-6829205.php>
>>
>> Plus, CBS did a Sunday Morning segment on how there are so many
>> mountain lions prowling the hills surrounding the LA basin. Best make
>> yer tabby a house cat, tout de suite!
>>
>> nb

> I'm not in CA but my neighbor called to tell me she had a lynx perched
> on the fence in her backyard. We hear reports of bobcats, mountain
> lions all the time. I won't walk at night.

We had used to have a neigbhour who was a retired vet, more accurately
man who used to be a vet but drank himself into a non career. He was
such a **** tank that when he had a cataract operation on his good eye
he fell down drunk and wrecked that eye. He told me he had seen a lynx
in our yard. I tried to tell him it was our cat. But... he was a vet
and he knew his animals. He had a huge tawny tom cat that lost its tail
in the fan belt of my pickup truck. The end of the short tail turned
black.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 15:06:43 -0700, Janet B >
wrote:

>Wolves were a natural part of the ecosystem until we decided to kill
>them all off in the early 1900s. As a result the elk population began
>to grow out of bounds. Over -grazing resulted, causing soil
>destruction and erosion problems . Food was less available for other
>species in the Yellowstone area. The area is a complex ecosystem

No doubt about what you say wolves, but I'd just like to point out
that the 'ecosystem' concept is a myth. 'Nature' is NOT a true
self-regulating system. There is no true 'balance' in nature. There
has never been any evidence that supports the concept, indeed, there
is plenty of evidence that disproves it. (Sorry, its just one of those
things I get on my soapbox about occasionally).

>that
>provides food for all the animals; it isn't a managed zoo or nature
>park.
>Certainly it is natural for some of the wolves to establish packs
>outside of the Yellowstone area and they get in conflict with ranchers
>stock. Ranchers are allowed to kill any wolf that is preying on his
>stock.
>Ranchers also have a problem with the bison that roam outside the park
>because they can infect cattle with brucellosis. Infected cattle must
>be killed lest they infect other cattle.
>The relationship between ranchers and Yellowstone is an uneasy one.
>The area in question is open range, allowing animals to travel freely.
>I sympathize with the ranchers , however. . .
>Yellowstone National Park was established in 1872. Exploration of the
>area began just 10 years earlier. It can be argued that if you are
>going to establish yourself in an area, that you accept the conditions
>around you. It's my view that ranchers must accept predation as a
>part of living and ranching where they do.

I tend to agree, particularly given the history of Yellowstone.

>Big cats, wolves and bears are a part of our wilderness areas. They
>are needed to keep things in balance. When man encroaches on their
>home ground there are bound to be conflicts.

Top predators play a very valuable role.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 09:34:40 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 15:06:43 -0700, Janet B >
>wrote:
>
>>Wolves were a natural part of the ecosystem until we decided to kill
>>them all off in the early 1900s. As a result the elk population began
>>to grow out of bounds. Over -grazing resulted, causing soil
>>destruction and erosion problems . Food was less available for other
>>species in the Yellowstone area. The area is a complex ecosystem

>No doubt about what you say wolves, but I'd just like to point out
>that the 'ecosystem' concept is a myth. 'Nature' is NOT a true
>self-regulating system. There is no true 'balance' in nature. There
>has never been any evidence that supports the concept, indeed, there
>is plenty of evidence that disproves it. (Sorry, its just one of those
>things I get on my soapbox about occasionally).
>

>>that
>>provides food for all the animals; it isn't a managed zoo or nature
>>park.
>>Certainly it is natural for some of the wolves to establish packs
>>outside of the Yellowstone area and they get in conflict with ranchers
>>stock. Ranchers are allowed to kill any wolf that is preying on his
>>stock.
>>Ranchers also have a problem with the bison that roam outside the park
>>because they can infect cattle with brucellosis. Infected cattle must
>>be killed lest they infect other cattle.
>>The relationship between ranchers and Yellowstone is an uneasy one.
>>The area in question is open range, allowing animals to travel freely.
>>I sympathize with the ranchers , however. . .
>>Yellowstone National Park was established in 1872. Exploration of the
>>area began just 10 years earlier. It can be argued that if you are
>>going to establish yourself in an area, that you accept the conditions
>>around you. It's my view that ranchers must accept predation as a
>>part of living and ranching where they do.

>I tend to agree, particularly given the history of Yellowstone.
>
>>Big cats, wolves and bears are a part of our wilderness areas. They
>>are needed to keep things in balance. When man encroaches on their
>>home ground there are bound to be conflicts.

>Top predators play a very valuable role.

I was watching an item on eagles tonight - DDT nearly eliminated them
but they have really rebounded now but there is a difference. Although
they hunt, they also habituate landfills which is not great for them,
broken legs, undigested plastic etc. More and more they tend to nest
on power pylons, a risky business.

I know a chicken farm an hour or so from here where they congregate to
take advantage of the chicken guts etc the farmer tosses out daily. I
was there one day and there were nearly 80 eagles sitting on one tree,
it almost looked like a chestnut tree in bloom. Really odd.

It's like I used to say to my kids, for every action there is a
reaction.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 19:23:58 -0400, wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 09:34:40 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 15:06:43 -0700, Janet B >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Wolves were a natural part of the ecosystem until we decided to kill
>>>them all off in the early 1900s. As a result the elk population began
>>>to grow out of bounds. Over -grazing resulted, causing soil
>>>destruction and erosion problems . Food was less available for other
>>>species in the Yellowstone area. The area is a complex ecosystem

>>No doubt about what you say wolves, but I'd just like to point out
>>that the 'ecosystem' concept is a myth. 'Nature' is NOT a true
>>self-regulating system. There is no true 'balance' in nature. There
>>has never been any evidence that supports the concept, indeed, there
>>is plenty of evidence that disproves it. (Sorry, its just one of those
>>things I get on my soapbox about occasionally).
>>

>>>that
>>>provides food for all the animals; it isn't a managed zoo or nature
>>>park.
>>>Certainly it is natural for some of the wolves to establish packs
>>>outside of the Yellowstone area and they get in conflict with ranchers
>>>stock. Ranchers are allowed to kill any wolf that is preying on his
>>>stock.
>>>Ranchers also have a problem with the bison that roam outside the park
>>>because they can infect cattle with brucellosis. Infected cattle must
>>>be killed lest they infect other cattle.
>>>The relationship between ranchers and Yellowstone is an uneasy one.
>>>The area in question is open range, allowing animals to travel freely.
>>>I sympathize with the ranchers , however. . .
>>>Yellowstone National Park was established in 1872. Exploration of the
>>>area began just 10 years earlier. It can be argued that if you are
>>>going to establish yourself in an area, that you accept the conditions
>>>around you. It's my view that ranchers must accept predation as a
>>>part of living and ranching where they do.

>>I tend to agree, particularly given the history of Yellowstone.
>>
>>>Big cats, wolves and bears are a part of our wilderness areas. They
>>>are needed to keep things in balance. When man encroaches on their
>>>home ground there are bound to be conflicts.

>>Top predators play a very valuable role.

>I was watching an item on eagles tonight - DDT nearly eliminated them
>but they have really rebounded now but there is a difference. Although
>they hunt, they also habituate landfills which is not great for them,
>broken legs, undigested plastic etc. More and more they tend to nest
>on power pylons, a risky business.
>
>I know a chicken farm an hour or so from here where they congregate to
>take advantage of the chicken guts etc the farmer tosses out daily. I
>was there one day and there were nearly 80 eagles sitting on one tree,
>it almost looked like a chestnut tree in bloom. Really odd.
>
>It's like I used to say to my kids, for every action there is a
>reaction.

Although not totally widespread, around here boxes are put up on the
telephone/power lines for hawks and eagles. There's one box next to
the street that has a new family in it every year. Even the monstrous
power towers in the countryside have some boxes. We have to make at
least some effort to live together.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 16:55:13 -0700, Janet B >
wrote:

>Although not totally widespread, around here boxes are put up on the
>telephone/power lines for hawks and eagles. There's one box next to
>the street that has a new family in it every year. Even the monstrous
>power towers in the countryside have some boxes. We have to make at
>least some effort to live together.
>Janet US

True but unfortunately the eagles are frequently electrocuted. The
power company endeavours to relocate them, building platforms nearby
and putting the nest there, that works but there are way too many for
them to do all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 19:40:17 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2016-02-15 7:27 PM, wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 19:15:59 -0500, Dave Smith

>>> I have seen lots of eagles on both coasts of Canada but none here in
>>> southern Ontario until a couple years ago. Now we often see them on our
>>> kayaking ventures.
>>>

>> We have lots of osprey here - where I lived before there were three
>> nesting pairs and feeding those babes became a frenzy. One evening I
>> was sitting out in my dory fishing when one dived into the water about
>> ten foot astern of me. Thought I would have a heart attack, you
>> really understand the force with which they hit the water when that
>> happens, it was like an explosion.
>>

> We are starting to see a lot of Ospreys too.... and Peregrine Falcons
>too. It has taken a while for those top of the food chain birds to make
>a come back. Meanwhile. we are have been seeing increasing numbers of
>some birds species that have become invasive, like Swans and Cormorants.

We've always had comorants here but now that you mention it, the only
swans are in the public gardens and carefully removed to a shelter for
the winter. Odd because my desk calendar from Scotland has a swan
swimming in a very frosted lake - I wouldn`t think your winters are
more mild than ours, so why don`t we have wild swans --- maybe it`s a
plot lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 19:15:59 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I have seen lots of eagles on both coasts of Canada but none here in
>southern Ontario until a couple years ago. Now we often see them on our
>kayaking ventures.

We have plenty of wedge tailed eagles here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedge-tailed_eagle
- absolutely stunningly beautiful creatures. I've had two close calls
with them when driving as they like road kill. Because of their size,
they take a long time to get airborne and one time I had one glance
off the top of my windscreen. I stopped to check him out and had a
chat with him (alright, I talked to him, he didn't answer back). He
landed in a tree nearby and was okay. He seemed to understand the
situation and wasn't threatened by my proximity. I would have been
very upset had he/she been hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 9:48:31 AM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
> the past interest on mountain lions. Oh, we got 'em.
>
> <http://www.sfgate.com/outdoors/article/Study-finds-mountain-lions-are-feasting-on-house-6829205.php>
>
> Plus, CBS did a Sunday Morning segment on how there are so many
> mountain lions prowling the hills surrounding the LA basin. Best make
> yer tabby a house cat, tout de suite!
>
> nb

We are occasionally visited by big cats. Not too long ago, a Bobcat was seen in the neighborhood. The most recent sighting of a big cat was a mountain lion, they hang for awhile , probably because we have more deer than normal, also a herd of feral goats.