Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tried the real wild rice.

Does not taste nutty to me and doesn't have a firm texture. If anything it
seems overcooked. I attempted to follow the enclosed directions which said
to simmer for 30 min., but it smelled done to me at 22 min. and in fact it
was rather mushy.

It's okay. But I can't say that it's any better than the dark, cultivated
kind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Does not taste nutty to me and doesn't have a firm texture. If anything it
> seems overcooked. I attempted to follow the enclosed directions which said
> to simmer for 30 min., but it smelled done to me at 22 min. and in fact it
> was rather mushy.
>
> It's okay. But I can't say that it's any better than the dark, cultivated
> kind.

Haven't had it in years but I liked it and did consider it "nutty."
The kind I bought was mostly various shades of brown but also included
the black. I just cooked it in water and ate it as a side. I really
liked it. I'll have to look for some again. Or maybe order from that
Moose Lake company.

How did yours compare to that canned stuff you bought?
Member

I just go straight to the source... Minnesota Wild Rice https://www.wildrice.com