General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 145
Default Chili sin carne con Fontignac

I celebrated a gift of a red-enamelled 5.2-liter Fontignac stew pot by
making a batch of my vegetarian chili.

Ingredients:

Half kg of barbunya (cranberry beans), a large onion, garlic, celery
stalks, 1 ea sweet green and red peppers, 3 chili peppers, parsley,
tomato paste, cumin seed, thyme, two bay leavs, 1 can tomatoes,
anchovy fillets, vinegar, Worcestershire, olive oil.

Method:

Parboil the beans but leave them in their liquor. Reserving the
parsley leaves, coarsely chop the other aromatics. Make a sofrito
using the oil, paste, anchovy, onion, celery, garlic, peppers. &
parsley stalks. Add the tomatoes, cumin, thyme, & bay and bring to a
boil. Add the drained beans & Worcestershire. Top up with boiling
water as needed. Simmer slowly an hour or so until the beans are
tender. Chop up the remaining parsley and fold in together with half a
wine glass of red vinegar.

Picture in alt.binaries.food.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranberry_bean
--
Bob, who didn't know they were called that...
The joint that time is out of
www.kanyak.com
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13,197
Default Chili sin carne con Fontignac

Opinicus wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I celebrated a gift of a red-enamelled 5.2-liter Fontignac stew pot by
> making a batch of my vegetarian chili.
>
> Ingredients:
>
> Half kg of barbunya (cranberry beans), a large onion, garlic, celery
> stalks, 1 ea sweet green and red peppers, 3 chili peppers, parsley,
> tomato paste, cumin seed, thyme, two bay leavs, 1 can tomatoes,
> anchovy fillets, vinegar, Worcestershire, olive oil.
>
> Method:
>
> Parboil the beans but leave them in their liquor. Reserving the
> parsley leaves, coarsely chop the other aromatics. Make a sofrito
> using the oil, paste, anchovy, onion, celery, garlic, peppers. &
> parsley stalks. Add the tomatoes, cumin, thyme, & bay and bring to a
> boil. Add the drained beans & Worcestershire. Top up with boiling
> water as needed. Simmer slowly an hour or so until the beans are
> tender. Chop up the remaining parsley and fold in together with half a
> wine glass of red vinegar.
>
> Picture in alt.binaries.food.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranberry_bean


Sounds good overall. Takes longer than an hour I suspect, for the
beans to be really ready.

Carol

--

  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 145
Default Chili sin carne con Fontignac

On Sun, 07 Feb 2016 13:59:27 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Sounds good overall. Takes longer than an hour I suspect, for the
>beans to be really ready


The beans are (were) fresh not dried. We bought several kilos of them
at the end of last summer when the market was overrun with them and we
froze them in half-kilo batches. They freeze really well.

That being so, you have to be careful not to overcook them. An hour is
plenty.

--
Bob
The joint that time is out of
www.kanyak.com
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13,197
Default Chili sin carne con Fontignac

Opinicus wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 07 Feb 2016 13:59:27 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Sounds good overall. Takes longer than an hour I suspect, for the
> > beans to be really ready

>
> The beans are (were) fresh not dried. We bought several kilos of them
> at the end of last summer when the market was overrun with them and we
> froze them in half-kilo batches. They freeze really well.
>
> That being so, you have to be careful not to overcook them. An hour is
> plenty.


Ah ok, that makes sense then. I didnt see fresh listed and assumed
dried.



--

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chunky chili con carne meh Recipes 1 18-11-2013 02:32 AM
Chili con carne Foodheaven General Cooking 8 16-08-2013 03:02 AM
Speaking of Chili, anybody got a Chili con Carne recipe featuring smoked brisket? Chef Juke Barbecue 3 18-08-2006 07:00 PM
Crockpot Chili Con Carne Michele Recipes (moderated) 0 03-06-2005 02:33 AM
chili-con-carne bodacious Mexican Cooking 4 03-11-2004 12:32 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"