Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Which kitchenaid mixer to buy?

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 "Ophelia" wrote:
>"Cheri" wrote:
>"Ophelia" wrote:
>> "Cheri" wrote:

>>> Mine is always out, because if I had to drag it out of storage - I
>>> wouldn't.
>>> I don't use it everyday, but it does get used at least 2 or 3 times a
>>> week, sometimes more.

>> I'm with you there, if I had to get it out, I wouldn't either.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I have to lift mine about 1 foot

>1 foot too much for me.
>
>Cheri
>
>==
>
>LOL I just looked, more like 6 inches ;p

Good for toning your bust line.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news > "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> Mine is always out, because if I had to drag it out of storage - I
>>> wouldn't.
>>> I don't use it everyday, but it does get used at least 2 or 3 times a
>>> week, sometimes more.

>> I'm with you there, if I had to get it out, I wouldn't either.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I have to lift mine about 1 foot

> 1 foot too much for me.
>
> Cheri
> ==
>
> LOL I just looked, more like 6 inches ;p

I don't want to have to lift it at all, they aren't light.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news > "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> Mine is always out, because if I had to drag it out of storage - I
>>> wouldn't.
>>> I don't use it everyday, but it does get used at least 2 or 3 times a
>>> week, sometimes more.

>> I'm with you there, if I had to get it out, I wouldn't either.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I have to lift mine about 1 foot

> 1 foot too much for me.
>
> Cheri
> ==
>
> LOL I just looked, more like 6 inches ;p

I don't want to have to lift it at all, they aren't light.

Cheri

==

True, and mine is a very old Kenwood Chef )) Still, it give the arms a
bit of exercise <g>

Not too much mind .... ;p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2018 11:18 AM, Cheri wrote:

> I don't want to have to lift it at all, they aren't light.

My son and his wife are re-doing their kitchen - one of the cabinets
will be for storing the KitchenAid and attachments. The machine sits on
a pop-up-and-out sort of shelf, so no heavy lifting required. I'd love
something like that!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 12/14/2018 11:18 AM, Cheri wrote:
>
>> I don't want to have to lift it at all, they aren't light.
>>

> My son and his wife are re-doing their kitchen - one of the cabinets will
> be for storing the KitchenAid and attachments. The machine sits on a
> pop-up-and-out sort of shelf, so no heavy lifting required. I'd love
> something like that!

Oh yes, me too. I do have several cupboards with pull out shelves which I
love, but nothing like that.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 12/14/2018 11:18 AM, Cheri wrote:

> I don't want to have to lift it at all, they aren't light.

My son and his wife are re-doing their kitchen - one of the cabinets
will be for storing the KitchenAid and attachments. The machine sits on
a pop-up-and-out sort of shelf, so no heavy lifting required. I'd love
something like that!

==

Oh yes!!! That sounds wonderful)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister > wrote:
> On 12/14/2018 11:18 AM, Cheri wrote:
>
>> I don't want to have to lift it at all, they aren't light.
>>

> My son and his wife are re-doing their kitchen - one of the cabinets
> will be for storing the KitchenAid and attachments. The machine sits on
> a pop-up-and-out sort of shelf, so no heavy lifting required. I'd love
> something like that!

The house we just bought a few months ago had that installed as well.
Unfortunately, the distance was a smidge too short for her bowl lift model!
My bowl lift model now has to sit on the counter, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2018 12:21 PM, Jinx the Minx wrote:
> S Viemeister > wrote:
>> On 12/14/2018 11:18 AM, Cheri wrote:
>>> I don't want to have to lift it at all, they aren't light.

>> My son and his wife are re-doing their kitchen - one of the cabinets
>> will be for storing the KitchenAid and attachments. The machine sits on
>> a pop-up-and-out sort of shelf, so no heavy lifting required. I'd love
>> something like that!

> The house we just bought a few months ago had that installed as well.
> Unfortunately, the distance was a smidge too short for her bowl lift model!
> My bowl lift model now has to sit on the counter, too.

Unfortunate.
Daughter-in-law's is a tilt model. I gave it to her at her wedding
shower - seemed appropriate, as mine came from _my_ mother-in-law.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister > wrote:
> On 12/14/2018 12:21 PM, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>> S Viemeister > wrote:
>>> My son and his wife are re-doing their kitchen - one of the cabinets
>>> will be for storing the KitchenAid and attachments. The machine sits on
>>> a pop-up-and-out sort of shelf, so no heavy lifting required. I'd love
>>> something like that!

>> The house we just bought a few months ago had that installed as well.
>> Unfortunately, the distance was a smidge too short for her bowl lift model!
>> My bowl lift model now has to sit on the counter, too.
>>

> Unfortunate.
> Daughter-in-law's is a tilt model. I gave it to her at her wedding
> shower - seemed appropriate, as mine came from _my_ mother-in-law.

What an awesome gift! I love the intent of legacy. Im sentimental that
way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2018 12:04 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message
>> On 12/14/2018 11:18 AM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>>> I don't want to have to lift it at all, they aren't light.
>>>

>> My son and his wife are re-doing their kitchen - one of the cabinets
>> will be for storing the KitchenAid and attachments. The machine sits
>> on a pop-up-and-out sort of shelf, so no heavy lifting required. I'd
>> love something like that!

> Oh yes, me too. I do have several cupboards with pull out shelves which
> I love, but nothing like that.

You can have that installed, if you have a spare cabinet to
dedicate to your mixer. It would be nice to have a mixer lift,
for sure.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 09:06:35 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> Mine is always out, but seldom used.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Mine sits under the counter next to the basket that holds the toaster
>>> etc Easy to lift out if I need it but .... )
>>>
>>> What I keep on my counter changes occasionally. Just now it is a small
>>> rotisserie oven, a yoghurt maker and a air fryer; on the other side, my
>>> microwave and kettle )

>> On mine is small toaster oven, cuisinart fp, can opener, and Nutri-Bullet.
>> On the other side is KA, large toaster oven, halogen oven, MW (on separate
>> stand) and Power Grill.
>>
>> Cheri

> On one side is a bread box, not for bread, for hiding stuff from the
> cats... also a knife block, and an electric water kettle. On the
> other side is the compost pail, a microwave, a cannister for wooden
> spoons, the coffee maker, a bread toaster, and a wine bottle filled
> with olive oil.

Popeye, no crystal palace jug?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 16:49:22 -0500, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>On 12/14/2018 12:04 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> My son and his wife are re-doing their kitchen - one of the cabinets
>>> will be for storing the KitchenAid and attachments. The machine sits
>>> on a pop-up-and-out sort of shelf, so no heavy lifting required. I'd
>>> love something like that!

>> Oh yes, me too. I do have several cupboards with pull out shelves which
>> I love, but nothing like that.

>You can have that installed, if you have a spare cabinet to
>dedicate to your mixer. It would be nice to have a mixer lift,
>for sure.
>
>nancy

I think if one is too decrepit to lift their mixer onto the counter
then they are too decrepit to use it safely... who's going to lift the
5 qt bowl full of cake batter with one hand and scrape it into a
couple of pans? That bowl full of batter is going to weigh half as
much as the mixer and it's very awkward to hold with one hand, tip it
and scrape with the other. I think if a stand mixer is too heavy for
one to lift onto their counter then they really need to consider a
hand mixer. I gave up my stand mixer ten years ago because I no
longer mixed large amounts. And if I want bread dough I use my ABM.
I believe that the majority of older people like to display their
stand mixer just to make a statement but rarely use it if ever.
My R2D2 works great for yeast dough:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/2roq2s1zw/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2018 4:23 PM, Jinx the Minx wrote:
> S Viemeister > wrote:
>>>
>>> The house we just bought a few months ago had that installed as well.
>>> Unfortunately, the distance was a smidge too short for her bowl lift model!
>>> My bowl lift model now has to sit on the counter, too.
>>>

>> Unfortunate.
>> Daughter-in-law's is a tilt model. I gave it to her at her wedding
>> shower - seemed appropriate, as mine came from _my_ mother-in-law.
>>

> What an awesome gift! I love the intent of legacy. Im sentimental that
> way.

Me, too.
She does a lot of baking, so the machine gets frequent use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
news
> On 12/14/2018 12:04 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> My son and his wife are re-doing their kitchen - one of the cabinets
>>> will be for storing the KitchenAid and attachments. The machine sits on
>>> a pop-up-and-out sort of shelf, so no heavy lifting required. I'd love
>>> something like that!

>> Oh yes, me too. I do have several cupboards with pull out shelves which I
>> love, but nothing like that.

> You can have that installed, if you have a spare cabinet to
> dedicate to your mixer. It would be nice to have a mixer lift,
> for sure.
>
> nancy

I am fine with mine on the counter since I am not re-doing my kitchen.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 16:49:22 -0500, Nancy Young >
> wrote:

>>> Oh yes, me too. I do have several cupboards with pull out shelves which
>>> I love, but nothing like that.

>>You can have that installed, if you have a spare cabinet to
>>dedicate to your mixer. It would be nice to have a mixer lift,
>>for sure.
>>
>>nancy

> I think if one is too decrepit to lift their mixer onto the counter
> then they are too decrepit to use it safely... who's going to lift the
> 5 qt bowl full of cake batter with one hand and scrape it into a
> couple of pans? That bowl full of batter is going to weigh half as
> much as the mixer and it's very awkward to hold with one hand, tip it
> and scrape with the other. I think if a stand mixer is too heavy for
> one to lift onto their counter then they really need to consider a
> hand mixer. I gave up my stand mixer ten years ago because I no
> longer mixed large amounts. And if I want bread dough I use my ABM.
> I believe that the majority of older people like to display their
> stand mixer just to make a statement but rarely use it if ever.
> My R2D2 works great for yeast dough:
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/2roq2s1zw/

I have both, I'm keeping both, and I'm not lifting my KA when I want to use
it. I have no problem with holding the bowl and scraping it either.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
news
> On 12/14/2018 12:04 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> My son and his wife are re-doing their kitchen - one of the cabinets
>>> will be for storing the KitchenAid and attachments. The machine sits on
>>> a pop-up-and-out sort of shelf, so no heavy lifting required. I'd love
>>> something like that!

>> Oh yes, me too. I do have several cupboards with pull out shelves which I
>> love, but nothing like that.

> You can have that installed, if you have a spare cabinet to
> dedicate to your mixer. It would be nice to have a mixer lift,
> for sure.
>
> nancy

I am fine with mine on the counter since I am not re-doing my kitchen.

Cheri

==

It sounds as though you have more space than I do

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I personally have Breville BHM800SIL Handy Mixer. Very happy with my Breville (I have the model reviewed by https://www.cookwared.com/reviews/best-hand-mixer/ ). I bake a fair bit of bread/pizza dough (couple of times a month) so the more powerful engine is really good. I know some people have found the kitchen aid is not powerful enough for dough kneading.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 3:25:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> I personally have Breville BHM800SIL Handy Mixer. Very happy with my Breville (I have the model reviewed by https://www.cookwared.com/reviews/best-hand-mixer/ ). I bake a fair bit of bread/pizza dough (couple of times a month) so the more powerful engine is really good. I know some people have found the kitchen aid is not powerful enough for dough kneading.

Gee, Ashley, you're not a real cook if you don't have one of these:

<https://www.webstaurantstore.com/hobart-legacy-hl600-1std-60-qt-commercial-planetary-floor-mixer-with-standard-accessories-200-240v-2-7-10-hp/425HL6001STD.html>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 5:05:58 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 3:25:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
>
> > I personally have Breville BHM800SIL Handy Mixer. Very happy with my Breville (I have the model reviewed by https://www.cookwared.com/reviews/best-hand-mixer/ ). I bake a fair bit of bread/pizza dough (couple of times a month) so the more powerful engine is really good. I know some people have found the kitchen aid is not powerful enough for dough kneading.

I can't believe that little hand mixer is powerful enough to do mashed potatoes
or instant pudding. She's not fooling anybody when she says she's doing pizza
dough with a hand mixer.

But it is nice she awoke from her coma almost 6 month from the last post to this
thread and 3 years after it the subject was first discussed.

> Gee, Ashley, you're not a real cook if you don't have one of these:
>
> <https://www.webstaurantstore.com/hobart-legacy-hl600-1std-60-qt-commercial-planetary-floor-mixer-with-standard-accessories-200-240v-2-7-10-hp/425HL6001STD.html>
>
> Cindy Hamilton

The cafeteria at work had one of those Hobarts but it was even larger than
this one and bolted to the floor. It stopped me in my tracks when I first
laid eyes on it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 9:47:19 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 5:05:58 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 3:25:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> >
> > > I personally have Breville BHM800SIL Handy Mixer. Very happy with my Breville (I have the model reviewed by https://www.cookwared.com/reviews/best-hand-mixer/ ). I bake a fair bit of bread/pizza dough (couple of times a month) so the more powerful engine is really good. I know some people have found the kitchen aid is not powerful enough for dough kneading.

> I can't believe that little hand mixer is powerful enough to do mashed potatoes
> or instant pudding. She's not fooling anybody when she says she's doing pizza
> dough with a hand mixer.
>
> But it is nice she awoke from her coma almost 6 month from the last post to this
> thread and 3 years after it the subject was first discussed.
> >
> > Gee, Ashley, you're not a real cook if you don't have one of these:
> >
> > <https://www.webstaurantstore.com/hobart-legacy-hl600-1std-60-qt-commercial-planetary-floor-mixer-with-standard-accessories-200-240v-2-7-10-hp/425HL6001STD.html>
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> The cafeteria at work had one of those Hobarts but it was even larger than
> this one and bolted to the floor. It stopped me in my tracks when I first
> laid eyes on it.

I confess that was the biggest one that a quick Google turned up. I
wasn't inclined to spend a bunch of time on it.

My husband uses a hand mixer for mashed potatoes, but since we're only
making them for 2 people (and maybe one round of leftovers), it's not
arduous. We hardly ever make mashed, anyway. We prefer GBD (golden-brown
and delicious) potatoes, so we mostly roast, home-fry, or grill 'em.

For pizza dough, I just use my hands and a nice overnight rise in the
refrigerator.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2019 10:11 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> My husband uses a hand mixer for mashed potatoes, but since we're only
> making them for 2 people (and maybe one round of leftovers), it's not
> arduous. We hardly ever make mashed, anyway. We prefer GBD (golden-brown
> and delicious) potatoes, so we mostly roast, home-fry, or grill 'em.
> Cindy Hamilton

I don't recall the last time I made mashed. Growing up, we had them
frequently. They are a must with pot roast. I like potatoes in any
form though.

With mashed, I use plenty of butter, warm the milk, often add sour cream
or heavy cream if on hand.
I usually use a hand masher though. I tend to overdo using a mixer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 12:18:52 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I don't recall the last time I made mashed.
>
> With mashed, I use plenty of butter, warm the milk, often add sour cream
> or heavy cream if on hand.
> I usually use a hand masher though. I tend to overdo using a mixer.

It's those whirring, spinning beaters that are mesmerizing you. Hahahahaaa
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 May 2019 13:18:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 5/21/2019 10:11 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>

>> My husband uses a hand mixer for mashed potatoes, but since we're only
>> making them for 2 people (and maybe one round of leftovers), it's not
>> arduous. We hardly ever make mashed, anyway. We prefer GBD (golden-brown
>> and delicious) potatoes, so we mostly roast, home-fry, or grill 'em.
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>I don't recall the last time I made mashed. Growing up, we had them
>frequently. They are a must with pot roast. I like potatoes in any
>form though.
>
>With mashed, I use plenty of butter, warm the milk, often add sour cream
>or heavy cream if on hand.
>I usually use a hand masher though. I tend to overdo using a mixer.

I use a hand masher too, mashed potatoes are supposed to have lumps.
With a mixer they are whipped potatoes and a few seconds too long they
become library paste. When its mashed potatoes for just the two of us
we mash our own in our plate with a fork. then we can each have as
many or as few lumps as we like. We only add a little salt, adding
herbs/gravy smothers the potato flavor. The only thing I like to add
to mashed potatoes are onions caramelized in chicken schmaltz, makes
it taste like a potato k'nish, but I no longer do chicken schmaltz,
way too many calories and my wife won't eat the onions anyway. I also
like mashed potatoes with plain yogurt. Actually it's been years
since we had mashed potatoes, we usually have baked with a roast as
the oven is on anyway, but mostly we have a potato omelet, good with
bell peppers or asparaguys added.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 3:25:40 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> I use a hand masher too, mashed potatoes are supposed to have lumps.

Only if you prefer lumping mashed potatoes. I don't, thus the hand mixer.

> With a mixer they are whipped potatoes and a few seconds too long they
> become library paste.

Eyes, eyes. Use your eyes; no need to act like you are having a seizure and
can't turn off/let go of that mixer. When they are smooth and lump-free,
stop. But I've never encountered mashed potatoes turning into library paste
when using a hand mixer. A food processor will quickly produce that paste
if that is your goal.