Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe directions

I love it when authors or chefs use terms like "stir until fragrant"
when writing books or recipes. It is very clear just when to move on to
the next step.

I'm making some broccoli cheddar soup and the recipe starts like this:

"In a medium pot, melt the 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat.
Add the onions, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and cook, stirring, until soft,
3 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme cook, stirring, until fragrant, for
20 seconds. Add the flour and cook, stirring until the mixture is well
blended and smells fragrant, 2 minutes"

Oh I can't wait for this to finish but it's usually better the next day.
I usually use dried herbs but I happened to still have some fresh in the
fridge that has kept surprisingly well once I learned how to use the
humidity control for the vegetable drawers. Still have some parsley
after a month, too.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 19:31:14 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

>I love it when authors or chefs use terms like "stir until fragrant"
>when writing books or recipes. It is very clear just when to move on to
>the next step.
>
>I'm making some broccoli cheddar soup and the recipe starts like this:
>
>"In a medium pot, melt the 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat.
>Add the onions, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and cook, stirring, until soft,
>3 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme cook, stirring, until fragrant, for
>20 seconds. Add the flour and cook, stirring until the mixture is well
>blended and smells fragrant, 2 minutes"
>
>Oh I can't wait for this to finish but it's usually better the next day.
>I usually use dried herbs but I happened to still have some fresh in the
>fridge that has kept surprisingly well once I learned how to use the
>humidity control for the vegetable drawers. Still have some parsley
>after a month, too.

Love to know what you learned about the humidity control - always
meant to read the instruction manual, but never did
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/01/2016 5:31 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> I love it when authors or chefs use terms like "stir until fragrant"
> when writing books or recipes. It is very clear just when to move on to
> the next step.
>
> I'm making some broccoli cheddar soup and the recipe starts like this:
>
> "In a medium pot, melt the 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat.
> Add the onions, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and cook, stirring, until soft,
> 3 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme cook, stirring, until fragrant, for
> 20 seconds. Add the flour and cook, stirring until the mixture is well
> blended and smells fragrant, 2 minutes"
>
> Oh I can't wait for this to finish but it's usually better the next day.
> I usually use dried herbs but I happened to still have some fresh in the
> fridge that has kept surprisingly well once I learned how to use the
> humidity control for the vegetable drawers. Still have some parsley
> after a month, too.

Cookery writers have watches from Salvador Dali's estate. Whenever they
say 2-3 minutes, you can easily double or triple that time, even when
they say they have confirmed the recipes on domestic equipment.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 9:17:21 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:

> Cookery writers have watches from Salvador Dali's estate. Whenever they
> say 2-3 minutes, you can easily double or triple that time, even when
> they say they have confirmed the recipes on domestic equipment.
> Graham

So true. Unfortunately there's no replacement for experience.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/27/2016 11:21 AM, Helpful person wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 9:17:21 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:
>
>> Cookery writers have watches from Salvador Dali's estate. Whenever they
>> say 2-3 minutes, you can easily double or triple that time, even when
>> they say they have confirmed the recipes on domestic equipment.
>> Graham

> So true. Unfortunately there's no replacement for experience.

True! That's why I like recipes that make you use your senses rather
than time. Graham's comment made me laugh because on Christmas morning I
made baked French toast and the recipe said to bake for 25 minutes so I
was basing my timing on that. I don't know if I used a different kind of
bread, too many liquids or what, but it took about an hour and a half to
bake, and one of them was still underdone. So, I was late for our
Christmas brunch.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
b.com...
> On 1/27/2016 11:21 AM, Helpful person wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 9:17:21 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:
>>
>>> Cookery writers have watches from Salvador Dali's estate. Whenever they
>>> say 2-3 minutes, you can easily double or triple that time, even when
>>> they say they have confirmed the recipes on domestic equipment.
>>> Graham

>> So true. Unfortunately there's no replacement for experience.
>>

> True! That's why I like recipes that make you use your senses rather than
> time. Graham's comment made me laugh because on Christmas morning I made
> baked French toast and the recipe said to bake for 25 minutes so I was
> basing my timing on that. I don't know if I used a different kind of
> bread, too many liquids or what, but it took about an hour and a half to
> bake, and one of them was still underdone. So, I was late for our
> Christmas brunch.

best to experiment ahead of time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/27/2016 6:41 PM, taxed and spent wrote:

> best to experiment ahead of time.

I learned my lesson on that one and have been experimenting with dishes
for the upcoming Superbowl. I don't plan on hosting, but I'll bring some
dishes to share.

--
Cheryl