Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Habanero Pepper Flakes

My fave spice shop just informed me that they carry habanero pepper flakes. I placed an order for a pound of red pepper flakes and in my confusion of precisely what I was ordering their rep Eric told me they have habanero pepper flakes too, which at first I said "OK those" but then Eric emailed me back and said habanero pepper flakes were like $26/lb! Ouch! I reverted my order to a pound of the old standby, red pepper flakes.

Anyone ever use habanero pepper flakes before? Maybe I should get a lb, dunno. One could certainbly kick stuff up a few notches with those puppies! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 09:20:54 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>My fave spice shop just informed me that they carry habanero pepper flakes. I placed an order for a pound of red pepper flakes and in my confusion of precisely what I was ordering their rep Eric told me they have habanero pepper flakes too, which at first I said "OK those" but then Eric emailed me back and said habanero pepper flakes were like $26/lb! Ouch! I reverted my order to a pound of the old standby, red pepper flakes.
>
>Anyone ever use habanero pepper flakes before? Maybe I should get a lb, dunno. One could certainbly kick stuff up a few notches with those puppies! :-)
>
>John Kuthe...

I've had ground Hatch peppers. The pungency and interesting taste
didn't last very long. I'd assume the flakes would last longer than
the powder. I'd get a small amount first to try.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 11, 2016 at 12:25:51 PM UTC-6, Janet B wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 09:20:54 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
> >My fave spice shop just informed me that they carry habanero pepper flakes. I placed an order for a pound of red pepper flakes and in my confusion of precisely what I was ordering their rep Eric told me they have habanero pepper flakes too, which at first I said "OK those" but then Eric emailed me back and said habanero pepper flakes were like $26/lb! Ouch! I reverted my order to a pound of the old standby, red pepper flakes.
> >
> >Anyone ever use habanero pepper flakes before? Maybe I should get a lb, dunno. One could certainbly kick stuff up a few notches with those puppies! :-)
> >
> >John Kuthe...

> I've had ground Hatch peppers. The pungency and interesting taste
> didn't last very long. I'd assume the flakes would last longer than
> the powder. I'd get a small amount first to try.
> Janet US

I've got an order placed already for the red pepper flakes. I may see if I can get a small sample of the habanero pepper flakes when I go to pick up and pay for my order.

John Kuthe...