Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 1934 - Christmas Dinner with Cary Grant

"...no over-elaborate dishes..." ;-)

http://moviemorlocks.com/2015/12/24/...nt/#more-88794

Happy Holidays! To celebrate the season Turner Classic Movies is airing a a batch of Christmas films tonight including The Bishop's Wife (1947) starring Cary Grant as a mischievous and debonair angel who brings some holiday cheer to a Bishop (David Niven) and his frustrated wife (Loretta Young).

To commemorate the occasion I thought I'd share an article I came across in a 1934 movie magazine titled "Cary's Christmas Dinner" where the actor and his wife at the time (actress Virginia Cherrill) share their Christmas dinner menu as well as some of Cherrill's personal recipes. It might inspire a few of you to make some changes or additions to your own Christmas dinner menu.

From New Movie Magazine:

"When a girl from Carthage, IL and a boy from Bristol, England get together to discuss Christmas dinner you would expect some differences of opinion, but when we heard Cary Grant and Virginia Cherrill discussing their ideas of the big feast there was almost perfect accord. Like most important Hollywood residents they much prefer a dinner at the home of intimate friends; and the dinner menu drawn up by the English cook calls for no over-elaborate dishes."

The Menu:

Oyster Cocktail Consommé
Bread Sticks
Celery
Olives
Salted Pecans
Roast Goose
Potato Stuffing
Apple Sauce
Duchess Potatoes
Creamed Lima Beans
Chicken Croquettes with Green Peas
English Plum Pudding
Brandy Sauce
Frozen Pudding
Assorted Cakes
Mincemeat Pie
Bon Bons
Crackers
Cheese
Cafe Noir

That, in seven courses, is precisely the sort of Christmas dinner Mr. Grant would have had back in old England. Christmas wouldn't be Christmas to an Englishman without roast goose and plum pudding.

But Christmas wouldn't be Christmas to Miss Cherrill without mince pie, so while Cary insists on pudding Virginia insists on good old American mince pie."
Virginia Cherrill's Recipe for Mince Pie:
1 & 1/2 cups dry mince meat
1 & 1/2 cups water
1 & 1/2 cups sweetened cranberries
Pie crust

"Add water to the mince meat, broken in small piece and stir over the fire (a hot oven) until the lumps are broken. Boil briskly for three minutes and cool then add the stewed cranberries sweetened as they would be for the table. Have ready an eight or nine inch pie plate lined with pastry and pour in the filling. Place the upper crust over the lower and pinch the edges together. Bake about 35 minutes in a hot oven (400° F)."

</>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 24, 2015 at 7:25:25 AM UTC-10, Gregory Morrow wrote:
> "...no over-elaborate dishes..." ;-)
>

> http://moviemorlocks.com/2015/12/24/...nt/#more-88794
>
> Happy Holidays! To celebrate the season Turner Classic Movies is airing a a batch of Christmas films tonight including The Bishop's Wife (1947) starring Cary Grant as a mischievous and debonair angel who brings some holiday cheer to a Bishop (David Niven) and his frustrated wife (Loretta Young).
>
> To commemorate the occasion I thought I'd share an article I came across in a 1934 movie magazine titled "Cary's Christmas Dinner" where the actor and his wife at the time (actress Virginia Cherrill) share their Christmas dinner menu as well as some of Cherrill's personal recipes. It might inspire a few of you to make some changes or additions to your own Christmas dinner menu.
>
> From New Movie Magazine:
>
> "When a girl from Carthage, IL and a boy from Bristol, England get together to discuss Christmas dinner you would expect some differences of opinion, but when we heard Cary Grant and Virginia Cherrill discussing their ideas of the big feast there was almost perfect accord. Like most important Hollywood residents they much prefer a dinner at the home of intimate friends; and the dinner menu drawn up by the English cook calls for no over-elaborate dishes."
>
> The Menu:
>
> Oyster Cocktail Consommé
> Bread Sticks
> Celery
> Olives
> Salted Pecans
> Roast Goose
> Potato Stuffing
> Apple Sauce
> Duchess Potatoes
> Creamed Lima Beans
> Chicken Croquettes with Green Peas
> English Plum Pudding
> Brandy Sauce
> Frozen Pudding
> Assorted Cakes
> Mincemeat Pie
> Bon Bons
> Crackers
> Cheese
> Cafe Noir
>
> That, in seven courses, is precisely the sort of Christmas dinner Mr. Grant would have had back in old England. Christmas wouldn't be Christmas to an Englishman without roast goose and plum pudding.
>
> But Christmas wouldn't be Christmas to Miss Cherrill without mince pie, so while Cary insists on pudding Virginia insists on good old American mince pie."

"Good old American(?) mince pie." How frightfully odd!

> Virginia Cherrill's Recipe for Mince Pie:
> 1 & 1/2 cups dry mince meat
> 1 & 1/2 cups water
> 1 & 1/2 cups sweetened cranberries
> Pie crust
>
> "Add water to the mince meat, broken in small piece and stir over the fire (a hot oven) until the lumps are broken. Boil briskly for three minutes and cool then add the stewed cranberries sweetened as they would be for the table. Have ready an eight or nine inch pie plate lined with pastry and pour in the filling. Place the upper crust over the lower and pinch the edges together. Bake about 35 minutes in a hot oven (400° F)."
>
> </>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 24, 2015 at 3:12:56 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > But Christmas wouldn't be Christmas to Miss Cherrill without mince pie, so while Cary insists on pudding Virginia insists on good old American mince pie."

> "Good old American(?) mince pie." How frightfully odd!
>
> > Virginia Cherrill's Recipe for Mince Pie:
> > 1 & 1/2 cups dry mince meat
> > 1 & 1/2 cups water
> > 1 & 1/2 cups sweetened cranberries
> > Pie crust
> >
> > "Add water to the mince meat, broken in small piece and stir over the fire (a hot oven) until the lumps are broken. Boil briskly for three minutes and cool then add the stewed cranberries sweetened as they would be for the table. Have ready an eight or nine inch pie plate lined with pastry and pour in the filling. Place the upper crust over the lower and pinch the edges together. Bake about 35 minutes in a hot oven (400° F)."

Most commewcially available mincemeat does not even contain meat! So is hardly authntic.

John Kuthe...

What Grant Achatz Saw at El Bulli Victor Sack[_1_] General Cooking 13 24-02-2010 01:56 AM
Bert Grant's Latosha Washington Beer 2 23-12-2005 03:54 AM
Amy Grant's Mud Puddles Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-06-2005 03:42 PM
1934 Dom Perignon MGM Wine 1 03-01-2004 08:17 PM