Old 18-12-2015, 12:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Evaporated milk vs. regular?

I thought I'd make an onion pie. The recipe calls for 1/3 can of evaporated milk. Aside from the nuisance of finding something else to do with the leftover part, I wondered - what IS the benefit of using that instead of regular milk? (I always use skim for most things, but if a recipe calls for whole milk, I can always add some powdered milk.)

Lenona.

Old 18-12-2015, 06:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 2:11:56 PM UTC-10, wrote:
I thought I'd make an onion pie. The recipe calls for 1/3 can of evaporated milk. Aside from the nuisance of finding something else to do with the leftover part, I wondered - what IS the benefit of using that instead of regular milk? (I always use skim for most things, but if a recipe calls for whole milk, I can always add some powdered milk.)

Lenona.

Cream would seem appropriate for onion pie - powdered milk, not so much.
Old 18-12-2015, 11:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2015 5:36 PM, l not -l wrote:
When I recently made onion pie, i used half-and-half instead of evap. milk -
I was very pleased with the result.

Half & half is really handy stuff.

Jill
Old 19-12-2015, 07:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 4:11:56 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I thought I'd make an onion pie. The recipe calls for 1/3 can of evaporated milk. Aside from the nuisance of finding something else to do with the leftover part, I wondered - what IS the benefit of using that instead of regular milk? (I always use skim for most things, but if a recipe calls for whole milk, I can always add some powdered milk.)

Evaporated milk is less watery than even half and half. I love it for
quiches. You can freeze the rest -- I have two ice cube trays for
freezing broth, yogurt, etc.
Old 19-12-2015, 08:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 18:03:05 -0500, jmcquown
wrote:

On 12/18/2015 5:36 PM, l not -l wrote:
When I recently made onion pie, i used half-and-half instead of evap. milk -
I was very pleased with the result.

Half & half is really handy stuff.

I've started buying whipping cream even though it's used mainly in my
coffee, but for some reason I picked up half & half last time and
regretted my decision last night when I made a creamy pesto sauce.
Don't get me wrong, it was terrific - but heavy cream would have been
even better.

--

sf

Old 19-12-2015, 09:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 18, 2015 at 9:15:04 PM UTC-10, wrote:
On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 4:11:56 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I thought I'd make an onion pie. The recipe calls for 1/3 can of evaporated milk. Aside from the nuisance of finding something else to do with the leftover part, I wondered - what IS the benefit of using that instead of regular milk? (I always use skim for most things, but if a recipe calls for whole milk, I can always add some powdered milk.)

Evaporated milk is less watery than even half and half. I love it for
quiches. You can freeze the rest -- I have two ice cube trays for
freezing broth, yogurt, etc.

Evaporated milk is used in Chinese egg custard tarts. In Hawaii, we'll bake whole pies. Those pies are a lot richer then American style
custard pie.

http://thewoksoflife.com/2014/07/hong-kong-egg-tarts/
Old 19-12-2015, 03:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

lenona321 wrote:

I thought I'd make an onion pie. The recipe calls
for 1/3 can of evaporated milk. Aside from the
nuisance of finding something else to do with the
leftover part, I wondered - what IS the benefit
of using that instead of regular milk? (I always use
skim for most things, but if a recipe calls for whole
milk, I can always add some powdered milk.)

There are many uses for evap, for all the years I drank coffee with
milk I used evap. I like evap drizzled over cooked chocolate pudding,
and when drizzled over vanilla ice cream evap forms a delicious crust.
Evap is also excellent for baking, adds a special richness that's not
possible with regular milk especially for chocolate cakes. Nowadays
there's skim evap, I think even fat free. During WWll fresh milk was
scarce, and most still used an ice-a-box, so many people used evap...
was also used for feeding babies, naturally wasn't nearly as good as
the real deal on tap.

Old 19-12-2015, 05:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 01:17:13 -0800 (PST), dsi1
wrote:

On Friday, December 18, 2015 at 9:15:04 PM UTC-10, wrote:
On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 4:11:56 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I thought I'd make an onion pie. The recipe calls for 1/3 can of evaporated milk. Aside from the nuisance of finding something else to do with the leftover part, I wondered - what IS the benefit of using that instead of regular milk? (I always use skim for most things, but if a recipe calls for whole milk, I can always add some powdered milk.)

Evaporated milk is less watery than even half and half. I love it for
quiches. You can freeze the rest -- I have two ice cube trays for
freezing broth, yogurt, etc.

Evaporated milk is used in Chinese egg custard tarts. In Hawaii, we'll bake whole pies. Those pies are a lot richer then American style
custard pie.

http://thewoksoflife.com/2014/07/hong-kong-egg-tarts/

Thanks to the Libby's recipe, we traditionally use evaporated milk for
pumpkin pies - but I've substituted cream and oh my goodness, what a
delicious difference!

--

sf
Old 19-12-2015, 06:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 9:08:04 AM UTC-6, Brooklyn1 wrote:
lenona321 wrote:

I thought I'd make an onion pie. The recipe calls
for 1/3 can of evaporated milk. Aside from the
nuisance of finding something else to do with the
leftover part, I wondered - what IS the benefit
of using that instead of regular milk? (I always use
skim for most things, but if a recipe calls for whole
milk, I can always add some powdered milk.)

There are many uses for evap, for all the years I drank coffee with
milk I used evap.

If anyone needed any more evidence that Sheldon has all the taste of
a dung beetle that was reared on a pig farm, this is it. I snipped
his other disgusting used of canned milk.

--Bryan
Old 19-12-2015, 06:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 3:17:18 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
On Friday, December 18, 2015 at 9:15:04 PM UTC-10, wrote:
On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 4:11:56 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I thought I'd make an onion pie. The recipe calls for 1/3 can of evaporated milk. Aside from the nuisance of finding something else to do with the leftover part, I wondered - what IS the benefit of using that instead of regular milk? (I always use skim for most things, but if a recipe calls for whole milk, I can always add some powdered milk.)

Evaporated milk is less watery than even half and half. I love it for
quiches. You can freeze the rest -- I have two ice cube trays for
freezing broth, yogurt, etc.

Evaporated milk is used in Chinese egg custard tarts. In Hawaii, we'll bake whole pies. Those pies are a lot richer then American style
custard pie.

http://thewoksoflife.com/2014/07/hong-kong-egg-tarts/

The State with the best year round climate is also the State with the
worst cuisine.

--Bryan