Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Evaporated milk vs. regular?

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 15:31:28 -0700, Abiquiu > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> I heard an interesting "aside" about the Chipotle issue yesterday.
>>> Chipotle employees are given a free meal daily and yet not one single
>>> Chipotle employee is among the known cases so far.

>> Very interesting....
>>
>>> To deepen the
>>> mystery further, Chipotle contracts with local vendors.

>> They do, yes.
>>
>>> So, why were
>>> so many customers sickened in such a small amount of time over such a
>>> wide area?

>> Whoa...this is very distressing, what do you think is up?

> Not a clue, but it seems like premise for a best selling mystery book.

Qdoba's revenge?

>> Qdoba hasn't had a similar scare.

> Without looking it up, I have no clue how Qdoba is related to Chipotle
> or why it would matter.

Analog operation and menu, ftmp.

Big time competitor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 15:32:30 -0700, Abiquiu > wrote:
>
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 08:37:03 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>>> When traveling the last place I'd stop for a quick meal would be a
>>> fast food burger joint, I'd rather go hungry a while longer. I'd stop
>>> at a deli or a pizzaria.

>> More provincial least coast choice-making.
>>
>> Word - the rest of the nation isn't constrained to such few choices.
>>
>> Capisce?

> When was the last time he traveled further than the nearest town let
> along across multiple states by auto?

LOl!

It's a provincial thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 2:18:38 PM UTC-10, Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> d says...
>
> > 5 gallons a week - oh no!

> He's got a son; ours drank a lot of milk in their teenage years when
> they were growing like weeds and putting on a lot of bone growth. IIRC
> our milkman delivered eight pints every day back then but I still had to
> buy extra at the supermarket.
>
> Janet UK

So you're saying that 56 pts per week is a perfectly normal amount of milk for a kid to drink? Now that's amazing!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/12/2015 15:27 dsi1 wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 2:18:38 PM UTC-10, Janet wrote:
>> In article >,
>> d says...
>>
>> > 5 gallons a week - oh no!

>> He's got a son; ours drank a lot of milk in their teenage years when
>> they were growing like weeds and putting on a lot of bone growth. IIRC
>> our milkman delivered eight pints every day back then but I still had to
>> buy extra at the supermarket.
>>
>> Janet UK

> So you're saying that 56 pts per week is a perfectly normal amount of milk for a kid to drink? Now that's amazing!

Lol, you're thinking milkaholics anonymous, but didn't she write
that *they* were growing?

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 6:34:42 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On 24/12/2015 15:27 dsi1 wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 2:18:38 PM UTC-10, Janet wrote:
> >> In article >,
> >> d says...

> >> He's got a son; ours drank a lot of milk in their teenage years when
> >> they were growing like weeds and putting on a lot of bone growth. IIRC
> >> our milkman delivered eight pints every day back then but I still had to
> >> buy extra at the supermarket.
> >>
> >> Janet UK

> > So you're saying that 56 pts per week is a perfectly normal amount of milk for a kid to drink? Now that's amazing!

> Lol, you're thinking milkaholics anonymous, but didn't she write
> that *they* were growing?
>
> --
> Bruce

Must be raising baby elephants...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/12/2015 15:37 dsi1 wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 6:34:42 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

>> > So you're saying that 56 pts per week is a perfectly normal amount of milk for a kid to drink? Now that's amazing!

>> Lol, you're thinking milkaholics anonymous, but didn't she write
>> that *they* were growing?
>>
>> --
>> Bruce

> Must be raising baby elephants...

lol

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 19:09:13 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 15:30:22 -0700, Abiquiu > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>> > Their food has gotten much better tasting lately too.
>> >

>> I can't tell a difference, but maybe if you tell me which items?

>It's just a nuance, but I can tell you that everything seems less
>salty so it seems fresher tasting. I stick to the Dollar Menu
>Grilled Onion Cheddar burgers or the Jalapeno burger for "regular"
>food + fries. My favorite breakfast items (Sausage McMuffin + hash
>browns) haven't changed much and that's fine by me because I like
>their sausage seasoning.

I don't think those burgers are available here. They sound good.
Wendy's or Jack in the Box is advertising a onion cheddar burger. That
combination must be the new thing.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 21:01:22 -0700, Abiquiu > wrote:

> sf wrote:

> >> I can't tell a difference, but maybe if you tell me which items?

> > It's just a nuance, but I can tell you that everything seems less
> > salty so it seems fresher tasting. I stick to the Dollar Menu
> > Grilled Onion Cheddar burgers or the Jalapeno burger for "regular"
> > food + fries. My favorite breakfast items (Sausage McMuffin + hash
> > browns) haven't changed much and that's fine by me because I like
> > their sausage seasoning.
> >

> I like the cheddar onion burger too, I'll try one and see if its less
> salty now - always good thing.

IMO they're too new for that kind of a comparison. Pick the regular
$1 burger. BTW: I saw a bunch of new items (to me) on the menu today
that looked tasty - maybe I'll go back next week and try one.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 21:02:26 -0700, Abiquiu > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 15:31:28 -0700, Abiquiu > wrote:
> >

> > Without looking it up, I have no clue how Qdoba is related to Chipotle
> > or why it would matter.
> >

> Analog operation and menu, ftmp.
>
> Big time competitor.

Had to look them up... not that big of a competitor. The closest are
in LA or Reno.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 7:30:32 PM UTC-10, Janet B wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 19:09:13 -0800, sf > wrote:

> >> I can't tell a difference, but maybe if you tell me which items?

> >It's just a nuance, but I can tell you that everything seems less
> >salty so it seems fresher tasting. I stick to the Dollar Menu
> >Grilled Onion Cheddar burgers or the Jalapeno burger for "regular"
> >food + fries. My favorite breakfast items (Sausage McMuffin + hash
> >browns) haven't changed much and that's fine by me because I like
> >their sausage seasoning.

> I don't think those burgers are available here. They sound good.
> Wendy's or Jack in the Box is advertising a onion cheddar burger. That
> combination must be the new thing.
> Janet US

Pretty good deal for a buck!

http://www.grubgrade.com/reviews/rev...rom-mcdonalds/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 1:00:14 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> On 24/12/2015 05:20 dsi1 wrote:

> >> Between my wife, son and myself, we use about 5 gallons of whole milk a week.
> >> Yesterday, the supermarket had quarts of 40% cream nearing last sale date
> >> marked down to $1.99. I bought 3, and took one to work for coffee. This
> >> morning with breakfast (leftover beef stew) I had a large cafe au lait.
> >> Now I'm having a second one. Day off today. I've been working late shifts
> >> the past several weeks, and that's about over. My old person brain needs to
> >> be asleep at midnight.

> > 5 gallons a week - oh no! Everything they said about white people is true! In fact, it's much worse that we could ever imagine!

European genes do predispose a person to be able to digest lactose through
adulthood. Those who can't digest lactose can buy lactase pills that work
very well. I do recognize that it is more healthful to consume cultured
milk, where most/almost all lactose has been digested by bacteria, but I
*really* enjoy milk.

> That's 1 liter per person per day. I think I'd start to moo
> after a couple of weeks.

Probably half of that 5 gallons is me. Since I went back to work, I let
myself drink all the milk I want, though with the end of Christmas Season
they have cut my hours (a good thing, since I prefer to average the minimum
# of hours that qualify me for cheap health insurance), so I'll cut back on
the milk. The days that I work I burn a huge # of calories, and I don't
want to be overweight.

> --
> Bruce

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B wrote:

< Mcd's Dollar Menu Grilled Onion Cheddar burgers"

> I don't think those burgers are available here. They sound good.

I like them very much. If you go to try one though, don't depend on
the displayed dollar menu. My local McD took them off the menu a
couple of years ago. I assumed they were canceled. Not so.

I recently asked and found out they still sell them but you have to
ask for them. I can only guess it's that they are downplaying the
dollar menu hoping that more people will choose the more expensive
meal combos.

I'll be going there soon to use their free wifi and
download some program upgrades for my laptop.
Might as well get a few burgers and fries while I wait.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-12-23 11:27 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> He's got a son; ours drank a lot of milk in their teenage years when
>> they were growing like weeds and putting on a lot of bone growth. IIRC
>> our milkman delivered eight pints every day back then but I still had to
>> buy extra at the supermarket.
>>
>> Janet UK

> So you're saying that 56 pts per week is a perfectly normal amount of milk for a kid to drink? Now that's amazing!

?? She said "they" and I am pretty sure than means more than one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/12/2015 10:30 PM, Janet B wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 19:09:13 -0800, sf > wrote:

>>> I can't tell a difference, but maybe if you tell me which items?

>> It's just a nuance, but I can tell you that everything seems less
>> salty so it seems fresher tasting. I stick to the Dollar Menu
>> Grilled Onion Cheddar burgers or the Jalapeno burger for "regular"
>> food + fries. My favorite breakfast items (Sausage McMuffin + hash
>> browns) haven't changed much and that's fine by me because I like
>> their sausage seasoning.

> I don't think those burgers are available here. They sound good.
> Wendy's or Jack in the Box is advertising a onion cheddar burger. That
> combination must be the new thing.
> Janet US

A&W sell a Buddy Burger, a small patty topped with caramelised onions.
Delish!!!!
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 1:26:55 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> > Thanks to the Libby's recipe, we traditionally use evaporated milk for
> > pumpkin pies - but I've substituted cream and oh my goodness, what a
> > delicious difference!
> >
> > --
> >
> > sf

> Sounds like a plan to me!

Cream adds more butter/milk fat to the recipe, of course it's delicious!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 21:01:22 -0700, Abiquiu > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> It's just a nuance, but I can tell you that everything seems less
>>> salty so it seems fresher tasting. I stick to the Dollar Menu
>>> Grilled Onion Cheddar burgers or the Jalapeno burger for "regular"
>>> food + fries. My favorite breakfast items (Sausage McMuffin + hash
>>> browns) haven't changed much and that's fine by me because I like
>>> their sausage seasoning.
>>>

>> I like the cheddar onion burger too, I'll try one and see if its less
>> salty now - always good thing.

> IMO they're too new for that kind of a comparison. Pick the regular
> $1 burger. BTW: I saw a bunch of new items (to me) on the menu today
> that looked tasty - maybe I'll go back next week and try one.

They've been there a year or so, but I had a standard burger the other
day and tasted no difference.

Maybe your local store is training better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 21:02:26 -0700, Abiquiu > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>> On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 15:31:28 -0700, Abiquiu > wrote:
>>>

>>> Without looking it up, I have no clue how Qdoba is related to Chipotle
>>> or why it would matter.
>>>

>> Analog operation and menu, ftmp.
>>
>> Big time competitor.

> Had to look them up... not that big of a competitor. The closest are
> in LA or Reno.

Nationally they're number 2, albeit a lot less stores.

Used to be known as Z-Tejas, iirc...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 7:30:32 PM UTC-10, Janet B wrote:

>>> It's just a nuance, but I can tell you that everything seems less
>>> salty so it seems fresher tasting. I stick to the Dollar Menu
>>> Grilled Onion Cheddar burgers or the Jalapeno burger for "regular"
>>> food + fries. My favorite breakfast items (Sausage McMuffin + hash
>>> browns) haven't changed much and that's fine by me because I like
>>> their sausage seasoning.

>> I don't think those burgers are available here. They sound good.
>> Wendy's or Jack in the Box is advertising a onion cheddar burger. That
>> combination must be the new thing.
>> Janet US

> Pretty good deal for a buck!
>
> http://www.grubgrade.com/reviews/rev...rom-mcdonalds/