Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Evaporated milk vs. regular?

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> cshenk wrote:
> >
> > Charlotte has a hankering for rice balls for example so I'm about to
> > start a batch of medium grain 'sticky rice' and then add shaved
> > dried plum and other things once it's cooled enough I can form
> > balls with it.

> ARRGGH! If that girl requests that kind of food, she must drink a
> lot. heheheheh

Naw. She was 6 when we moved to Japan and 13 when we moved back.
Those are pretty formative foodie years for many of us. She still
laughs at American fish sticks but likes them well enough as a munchie.
Don't worry, she likes regular western foods too.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 3:25:03 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
> > On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 2:40:06 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > > What exactly is wrong with canned milk? Do you even know?

> > It's cooked. It tastes weird. I can barely stomach that UHT
> > pasteurized junk in a box; canned is completely beyond the pale.
> >

> > Cindy Hamilton

> You don't care for the taste - that's fine and honorable. OTOH,
> dissing foods because of socio-economic associations is disingenuous.
> Mostly it's an innuendo-laden attempt to hide one's fear of other
> races and social classes.

I think she's just not used to it which has more than races and social
classes but more to do with the area and cuisine you are raised with or
have encountered in your life.

I had to laugh because Gary just commented that my daughter must have
been on a binge to want rice balls. It's all about associations one
has. Charlotte BTW is old enough to drink but doesn't like alcohol so
doesn't drink.

I don't think either one was being racist or snooty. Just had
different life experiences.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 3:25:03 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> > > It's cooked. It tastes weird. I can barely stomach that UHT
> > > pasteurized junk in a box; canned is completely beyond the pale.
> > >

> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > You don't care for the taste - that's fine and honorable. OTOH,
> > dissing foods because of socio-economic associations is disingenuous.
> > Mostly it's an innuendo-laden attempt to hide one's fear of other
> > races and social classes.

> I think she's just not used to it which has more than races and social
> classes but more to do with the area and cuisine you are raised with or
> have encountered in your life.
>
> I had to laugh because Gary just commented that my daughter must have
> been on a binge to want rice balls. It's all about associations one
> has. Charlotte BTW is old enough to drink but doesn't like alcohol so
> doesn't drink.
>
> I don't think either one was being racist or snooty. Just had
> different life experiences.

Certainly not being evil. I was just joking you about why she would
want to eat rice balls for lunch. lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 7:58:03 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 3:25:03 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> > > It's cooked. It tastes weird. I can barely stomach that UHT
> > > pasteurized junk in a box; canned is completely beyond the pale.
> > >

> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > You don't care for the taste - that's fine and honorable. OTOH,
> > dissing foods because of socio-economic associations is disingenuous.
> > Mostly it's an innuendo-laden attempt to hide one's fear of other
> > races and social classes.

> I think she's just not used to it which has more than races and social
> classes but more to do with the area and cuisine you are raised with or
> have encountered in your life.

My remarks were not directed at her. It's alright to not like a food because you don't care for it's taste. OTOH, canned milk has a lot of associations with race and class: Mexicans, latin Americans, low-class cooking, cheap cooking, dirt poor folk, the depression, people without refrigeration, white-trash cooking. Making snide remarks and letting innuendo do your dirty work is fairly cowardly. Saying you don't like canned milk because it's low-class or Mexican is reprehensible but at least it ain't cowardly.

> I had to laugh because Gary just commented that my daughter must have
> been on a binge to want rice balls. It's all about associations one
> has. Charlotte BTW is old enough to drink but doesn't like alcohol so
> doesn't drink.

We were in a three hour long graduation ceremony at the University of Hawaii Manoa yesterday. Towards the end, my daughter sneaked in a Spam musubi into the Stan Sheriff Center and was munching on it. I had a small bite and it was sublime. That small nibble might have saved my life.

> I don't think either one was being racist or snooty. Just had
> different life experiences.

That's awful charitable of you. I consider dissing something simply because it's outside your of life experiences to be an ignorant thing to do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 11:57:59 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 3:25:03 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton
>> wrote:

>> > It's cooked. It tastes weird. I can barely stomach that UHT
>> > pasteurized junk in a box; canned is completely beyond the pale.
>> >

>> > Cindy Hamilton

>> You don't care for the taste - that's fine and honorable. OTOH,
>> dissing foods because of socio-economic associations is disingenuous.
>> Mostly it's an innuendo-laden attempt to hide one's fear of other
>> races and social classes.

>I think she's just not used to it which has more than races and social
>classes but more to do with the area and cuisine you are raised with or
>have encountered in your life.
>
>I had to laugh because Gary just commented that my daughter must have
>been on a binge to want rice balls. It's all about associations one
>has. Charlotte BTW is old enough to drink but doesn't like alcohol so
>doesn't drink.

That's the oldest one in the book, I used to tell my parents that and
they believed it for a little while.

>I don't think either one was being racist or snooty. Just had
>different life experiences.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> cshenk wrote:
> >
> > dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > You don't care for the taste - that's fine and honorable. OTOH,
> > > dissing foods because of socio-economic associations is
> > > disingenuous. Mostly it's an innuendo-laden attempt to hide
> > > one's fear of other races and social classes.

> > I think she's just not used to it which has more than races and
> > social classes but more to do with the area and cuisine you are
> > raised with or have encountered in your life.
> >
> > I had to laugh because Gary just commented that my daughter must
> > have been on a binge to want rice balls. It's all about
> > associations one has. Charlotte BTW is old enough to drink but
> > doesn't like alcohol so doesn't drink.
> >
> > I don't think either one was being racist or snooty. Just had
> > different life experiences.

> Certainly not being evil. I was just joking you about why she would
> want to eat rice balls for lunch. lol

Ok! Grin, she likes them. It's a comfort food for her. She had it
with some of the leftover curry rice lamb from last night.

For dinner tonight, looking at someting we've done many a time that's a
little like a LaChoy can. The recent thread reminded me of that.

Chicken broth, mostly defatted added to lots of chopped cabbage and
shaved carrots plus onions chopped thin. Add cornstarch, tumeric, star
anise, white pepper (white for looks, can use black), a pinch of wasabi
powder and water then set to a slow simmer. Stir well and let reduce
to a thick glossy sauce. (some may want to add the cabbage later so it
is more al-dente). Serve over some broken up cantonese noodle block.
I'm out of chicken bits to add to it but that would be good as an
additive.

Heat heavy china bowls with hit water thwn boiling water then empty
aand add the 'stew'. Crack a raw egg (do not stir) over the still
simmering stew and cover for 5 minutes. Open and eat.

It's a sort of Americanized Asian seeming dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 3:25:03 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 2:40:06 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>>> What exactly is wrong with canned milk? Do you even know?

>> It's cooked. It tastes weird. I can barely stomach that UHT pasteurized
>> junk in a box; canned is completely beyond the pale.
>>

>> Cindy Hamilton

> You don't care for the taste - that's fine and honorable. OTOH, dissing foods because of socio-economic associations is disingenuous. Mostly it's an innuendo-laden attempt to hide one's fear of other races and social classes.

A fair summation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Abiquiu" > wrote in message
> dsi1 wrote:

>>> It's cooked. It tastes weird. I can barely stomach that UHT
>>> pasteurized
>>> junk in a box; canned is completely beyond the pale.
>>>

>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> You don't care for the taste - that's fine and honorable. OTOH, dissing
>> foods because of socio-economic associations is disingenuous. Mostly it's
>> an innuendo-laden attempt to hide one's fear of other races and social
>> classes.
>>

> A fair summation.

I love to cook with canned milk.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "Abiquiu" > wrote in message
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> You don't care for the taste - that's fine and honorable. OTOH,
>>> dissing foods because of socio-economic associations is disingenuous.
>>> Mostly it's an innuendo-laden attempt to hide one's fear of other
>>> races and social classes.
>>>

>> A fair summation.

> I love to cook with canned milk.
>
> Cheri

It has it's shining moments:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/48202658481330513/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 11:59:43 AM UTC-10, Abiquiu wrote:
> Cheri wrote:

> >> A fair summation.

> > I love to cook with canned milk.
> >
> > Cheri

> It has it's shining moments:
>
> https://www.pinterest.com/pin/48202658481330513/

Just reading that makes my lactose intolerant guts get all twisted. OTOH, I had a peanut butter and condensed milk sandwich and that might be causing the gut grumble and rumble. Be still, my pounding guts!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 11:59:43 AM UTC-10, Abiquiu wrote:
>> Cheri wrote:

>>> I love to cook with canned milk.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> It has it's shining moments:
>>
>> https://www.pinterest.com/pin/48202658481330513/

> Just reading that makes my lactose intolerant guts get all twisted. OTOH, I had a peanut butter and condensed milk sandwich and that might be causing the gut grumble and rumble. Be still, my pounding guts!

Tee hee...

You need some lactaid and an immodium pill.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 2:48:48 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 18:03:05 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
> > On 12/18/2015 5:36 PM, l not -l wrote:
> > > When I recently made onion pie, i used half-and-half instead of evap. milk -
> > > I was very pleased with the result.
> > >

> > Half & half is really handy stuff.
> >

> I've started buying whipping cream even though it's used mainly in my
> coffee, but for some reason I picked up half & half last time and
> regretted my decision last night when I made a creamy pesto sauce.
> Don't get me wrong, it was terrific - but heavy cream would have been
> even better.
>
> --
>
> sf

Yes, once you get used to the deliciousness of 40% heavy cream little else will suffice!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 12:41:55 PM UTC-6, Abiquiu wrote:
> MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:

> >> Evaporated milk is used in Chinese egg custard tarts. In Hawaii, we'll bake whole pies. Those pies are a lot richer then American style
> >> custard pie.
> >>
> >> http://thewoksoflife.com/2014/07/hong-kong-egg-tarts/

> > The State with the best year round climate is also the State with the
> > worst cuisine.
> >
> > --Bryan
> >

> Bullshit.

I don't even know what he's talking about!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 12:41:55 PM UTC-6, Abiquiu wrote:
>> MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:

>>> The State with the best year round climate is also the State with the
>>> worst cuisine.
>>>
>>> --Bryan
>>>

>> Bullshit.

> I don't even know what he's talking about!
>
> John Kuthe...

He's dissing Hawaii.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 1:06:47 PM UTC-10, Abiquiu wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> >> It has it's shining moments:
> >>
> >> https://www.pinterest.com/pin/48202658481330513/

> > Just reading that makes my lactose intolerant guts get all twisted. OTOH, I had a peanut butter and condensed milk sandwich and that might be causing the gut grumble and rumble. Be still, my pounding guts!
> >

> Tee hee...
>
> You need some lactaid and an immodium pill.

Hopefully, it'll all sort itself out in the next few minutes - I've got a memorial service for my aunt this afternoon. She was a Buddhist and this will be the first year memorial. She'll have these services periodically up to 50 years. This makes it hard to forget honorable ancestors. Christians have it a lot easier - they have to go to a funeral only one time per person.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 7:58:03 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > You don't care for the taste - that's fine and honorable. OTOH,
> > > dissing foods because of socio-economic associations is
> > > disingenuous. Mostly it's an innuendo-laden attempt to hide
> > > one's fear of other races and social classes.

> > I think she's just not used to it which has more than races and
> > social classes but more to do with the area and cuisine you are
> > raised with or have encountered in your life.

> My remarks were not directed at her. It's alright to not like a food
> because you don't care for it's taste. OTOH, canned milk has a lot of
> associations with race and class: Mexicans, latin Americans,
> low-class cooking, cheap cooking, dirt poor folk, the depression,
> people without refrigeration, white-trash cooking. Making snide
> remarks and letting innuendo do your dirty work is fairly cowardly.
> Saying you don't like canned milk because it's low-class or Mexican
> is reprehensible but at least it ain't cowardly.
>

> > I had to laugh because Gary just commented that my daughter must
> > have been on a binge to want rice balls. It's all about
> > associations one has. Charlotte BTW is old enough to drink but
> > doesn't like alcohol so doesn't drink.

> We were in a three hour long graduation ceremony at the University of
> Hawaii Manoa yesterday. Towards the end, my daughter sneaked in a
> Spam musubi into the Stan Sheriff Center and was munching on it. I
> had a small bite and it was sublime. That small nibble might have
> saved my life.
>

> > I don't think either one was being racist or snooty. Just had
> > different life experiences.

> That's awful charitable of you. I consider dissing something simply
> because it's outside your of life experiences to be an ignorant thing
> to do.
>

> > --

Ok, I didnt see anything in Cindy's post but I can only see what is
above. I don;t read every note (nor pretend to) so maybe she said
something else that seemed racist?

Spam Musubi. Yum! I've never made it but the same rice used for it,
was the riceball I made today. I'd only need to handflat some out then
lay well fried spam (I'd go crispy there) and tie with my own
preference which would the green onion over fresh kelp strip.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 11:57:59 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> You don't care for the taste - that's fine and honorable. OTOH,
> >> dissing foods because of socio-economic associations is

> disingenuous. >> Mostly it's an innuendo-laden attempt to hide one's
> fear of other >> races and social classes.
> >
> > I think she's just not used to it which has more than races and
> > social classes but more to do with the area and cuisine you are
> > raised with or have encountered in your life.
> >
> > I had to laugh because Gary just commented that my daughter must
> > have been on a binge to want rice balls. It's all about
> > associations one has. Charlotte BTW is old enough to drink but
> > doesn't like alcohol so doesn't drink.

> That's the oldest one in the book, I used to tell my parents that and
> they believed it for a little while.
> >
> > I don't think either one was being racist or snooty. Just had
> > different life experiences.

JUst because you were dishonest to your parents, doesnt mean all are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Abiquiu" > wrote in message
> > dsi1 wrote:

> > > You don't care for the taste - that's fine and honorable. OTOH,
> > > dissing foods because of socio-economic associations is
> > > disingenuous. Mostly it's an innuendo-laden attempt to hide
> > > one's fear of other races and social classes.
> > >

> > A fair summation.

> I love to cook with canned milk.
>
> Cheri

What recipes do you use? I keep some for the odd times when I need
milk and am out but want to cook someting without troubling to go to
the store. Not many things I use it for, but that is lack of familar
with what it works best with.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 1:06:47 PM UTC-10, Abiquiu wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> Just reading that makes my lactose intolerant guts get all twisted. OTOH, I had a peanut butter and condensed milk sandwich and that might be causing the gut grumble and rumble. Be still, my pounding guts!
>>>

>> Tee hee...
>>
>> You need some lactaid and an immodium pill.

> Hopefully, it'll all sort itself out in the next few minutes - I've got a memorial service for my aunt this afternoon. She was a Buddhist and this will be the first year memorial. She'll have these services periodically up to 50 years. This makes it hard to forget honorable ancestors. Christians have it a lot easier - they have to go to a funeral only one time per person.

Yeah but...there's all that grave visitation stuff.

Anyway, good luck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 2:39:45 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > I think she's just not used to it which has more than races and
> > > social classes but more to do with the area and cuisine you are
> > > raised with or have encountered in your life.

> > My remarks were not directed at her. It's alright to not like a food
> > because you don't care for it's taste. OTOH, canned milk has a lot of
> > associations with race and class: Mexicans, latin Americans,
> > low-class cooking, cheap cooking, dirt poor folk, the depression,
> > people without refrigeration, white-trash cooking. Making snide
> > remarks and letting innuendo do your dirty work is fairly cowardly.
> > Saying you don't like canned milk because it's low-class or Mexican
> > is reprehensible but at least it ain't cowardly.
> >

> > > I had to laugh because Gary just commented that my daughter must
> > > have been on a binge to want rice balls. It's all about
> > > associations one has. Charlotte BTW is old enough to drink but
> > > doesn't like alcohol so doesn't drink.

> > We were in a three hour long graduation ceremony at the University of
> > Hawaii Manoa yesterday. Towards the end, my daughter sneaked in a
> > Spam musubi into the Stan Sheriff Center and was munching on it. I
> > had a small bite and it was sublime. That small nibble might have
> > saved my life.
> >

> > > I don't think either one was being racist or snooty. Just had
> > > different life experiences.

> > That's awful charitable of you. I consider dissing something simply
> > because it's outside your of life experiences to be an ignorant thing
> > to do.
> >

> > > --

> Ok, I didnt see anything in Cindy's post but I can only see what is
> above. I don;t read every note (nor pretend to) so maybe she said
> something else that seemed racist?
>
> Spam Musubi. Yum! I've never made it but the same rice used for it,
> was the riceball I made today. I'd only need to handflat some out then
> lay well fried spam (I'd go crispy there) and tie with my own
> preference which would the green onion over fresh kelp strip.
>

> --

I have seen Spam musubi made in a very clever way. Strip of nori is placed on a sheet of plastic wrap. The Spam slice is laid across the nori. A rice ball is made and the ball is compressed to hold it's shape and placed on top of the Spam. The wrap is gathered around the top of the rice ball and secured by twisting the wrap to squish the ball into the shape of the Spam. If you do it right, the Spam musubi is aesthetically pleasing and it'll be already wrapped. It's a fast way to make a bunch of musubi in the perfect package.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 14:59:40 -0700, Abiquiu > wrote:

> Cheri wrote:
> >

> > I love to cook with canned milk.
> >
> > Cheri

> It has it's shining moments:
>
> https://www.pinterest.com/pin/48202658481330513/

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I think tres leches flan
shows off canned milk very well.
https://kitchensmitten.wordpress.com...-mexican-flan/

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > A fair summation.

>> I love to cook with canned milk.
>>
>> Cheri

> What recipes do you use? I keep some for the odd times when I need
> milk and am out but want to cook someting without troubling to go to
> the store. Not many things I use it for, but that is lack of familar
> with what it works best with.

I use it in just about every recipe that calls for milk. I like it better,
the one place I dislike it is in coffee or tea or as in straight from the
can.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 14:59:40 -0700, Abiquiu > wrote:
>
>> Cheri wrote:
>> >

>> > I love to cook with canned milk.
>> >
>> > Cheri

>> It has it's shining moments:
>>
>> https://www.pinterest.com/pin/48202658481330513/

> I've said it before and I'll say it again - I think tres leches flan
> shows off canned milk very well.
> https://kitchensmitten.wordpress.com...-mexican-flan/
>
> --
>
> sf

I make corn starch pudding often for the grandkids and I always use it in
that, I also use in custards mixed with cream or half and half. I always
keep heavy whipping cream, but I don't keep milk at all anymore unless the
kids are here so it's very handy and also preferable to me in most recipes,
hamburger gravy comes to mind.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 9:29:41 AM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 2:40:06 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > > What exactly is wrong with canned milk? Do you even know?

> > It's cooked. It tastes weird. I can barely stomach that UHT
> > pasteurized junk in a box; canned is completely beyond the pale.
> >

> > Cindy Hamilton

> Cindy, there are a few recipes derived around canned evaporated milk
> that don't work quite right with any other substance. The taste change
> is wrong if you use something else.

Well, there it is. I very, very, very rarely cook with milk. On the other
hand, I go through a little more than a gallon of fresh 2% milk per week
putting it in coffee and drinking it alongside my morning oatmeal.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 12:53:32 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 7:58:03 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

UHT Pasteurized milk is pretty much exactly like canned evaporated milk,
reconstituted to regular milk strength with water. I use the stuff to
make probiotic cultured milk, which doesn't taste good, but that's not
why I drink a glass every morning. It's medicine.

> > > You don't care for the taste - that's fine and honorable. OTOH,
> > > dissing foods because of socio-economic associations is disingenuous.
> > > Mostly it's an innuendo-laden attempt to hide one's fear of other
> > > races and social classes.

> > I think she's just not used to it which has more than races and social
> > classes but more to do with the area and cuisine you are raised with or
> > have encountered in your life.

> My remarks were not directed at her. It's alright to not like a food because you don't care for it's taste. OTOH, canned milk has a lot of associations with race and class: Mexicans, latin Americans, low-class cooking, cheap cooking, dirt poor folk, the depression, people without refrigeration, white-trash cooking. Making snide remarks and letting innuendo do your dirty work is fairly cowardly. Saying you don't like canned milk because it's low-class or Mexican is reprehensible but at least it ain't cowardly.

It's low class because anyone with any taste would only consume it if they
were too poor to get decent food.

> > I had to laugh because Gary just commented that my daughter must have
> > been on a binge to want rice balls. It's all about associations one
> > has. Charlotte BTW is old enough to drink but doesn't like alcohol so
> > doesn't drink.

> We were in a three hour long graduation ceremony at the University of Hawaii Manoa yesterday. Towards the end, my daughter sneaked in a Spam musubi into the Stan Sheriff Center and was munching on it. I had a small bite and it was sublime. That small nibble might have saved my life.

Great weather, awful food. That Hawai'i.

> > I don't think either one was being racist or snooty. Just had
> > different life experiences.

> That's awful charitable of you. I consider dissing something simply because it's outside your of life experiences to be an ignorant thing to do.

You think that folks have never tasted canned milk, or Spam? I have to admit
that I've never tried poi, but the descriptions are enough. Shitty food is
the price you pay to live where you live.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 3:21:07 PM UTC-6, Cheri wrote:
> "Abiquiu" > wrote in message
> > dsi1 wrote:

> >> You don't care for the taste - that's fine and honorable. OTOH, dissing
> >> foods because of socio-economic associations is disingenuous. Mostly it's
> >> an innuendo-laden attempt to hide one's fear of other races and social
> >> classes.
> >>

> > A fair summation.

> I love to cook with canned milk.

Like Sheldon, you have all the taste of a dung beetle raised on a pig farm.

> Cheri

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 14:59:40 -0700, Abiquiu > wrote:
>
>> Cheri wrote:
>>>

>>> I love to cook with canned milk.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> It has it's shining moments:
>>
>> https://www.pinterest.com/pin/48202658481330513/

> I've said it before and I'll say it again - I think tres leches flan
> shows off canned milk very well.
> https://kitchensmitten.wordpress.com...-mexican-flan/

Boy does it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 5:01:25 AM UTC-10, MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:
> On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 12:53:32 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> UHT Pasteurized milk is pretty much exactly like canned evaporated milk,
> reconstituted to regular milk strength with water. I use the stuff to
> make probiotic cultured milk, which doesn't taste good, but that's not
> why I drink a glass every morning. It's medicine.

> > > I think she's just not used to it which has more than races and social
> > > classes but more to do with the area and cuisine you are raised with or
> > > have encountered in your life.

> > My remarks were not directed at her. It's alright to not like a food because you don't care for it's taste. OTOH, canned milk has a lot of associations with race and class: Mexicans, latin Americans, low-class cooking, cheap cooking, dirt poor folk, the depression, people without refrigeration, white-trash cooking. Making snide remarks and letting innuendo do your dirty work is fairly cowardly. Saying you don't like canned milk because it's low-class or Mexican is reprehensible but at least it ain't cowardly.
> >

> It's low class because anyone with any taste would only consume it if they
> were too poor to get decent food.
> >

> > > I had to laugh because Gary just commented that my daughter must have
> > > been on a binge to want rice balls. It's all about associations one
> > > has. Charlotte BTW is old enough to drink but doesn't like alcohol so
> > > doesn't drink.

> > We were in a three hour long graduation ceremony at the University of Hawaii Manoa yesterday. Towards the end, my daughter sneaked in a Spam musubi into the Stan Sheriff Center and was munching on it. I had a small bite and it was sublime. That small nibble might have saved my life.
> >

> Great weather, awful food. That Hawai'i.
> >

> > > I don't think either one was being racist or snooty. Just had
> > > different life experiences.

> > That's awful charitable of you. I consider dissing something simply because it's outside your of life experiences to be an ignorant thing to do.
> >

> You think that folks have never tasted canned milk, or Spam? I have to admit
> that I've never tried poi, but the descriptions are enough. Shitty food is
> the price you pay to live where you live.
> > >

> --Bryan

You're saying food is crap if it doesn't cost a lot. That's pretty lame, sounds like you're twelve years old. Grow up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:
> Shitty food is
> the price you pay to live where you live.

And in St. Louis BBQ souceland you pay it dearly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 5:01:25 AM UTC-10, MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:

>> UHT Pasteurized milk is pretty much exactly like canned evaporated milk,
>> reconstituted to regular milk strength with water. I use the stuff to
>> make probiotic cultured milk, which doesn't taste good, but that's not
>> why I drink a glass every morning. It's medicine.

>>> My remarks were not directed at her. It's alright to not like a food because you don't care for it's taste. OTOH, canned milk has a lot of associations with race and class: Mexicans, latin Americans, low-class cooking, cheap cooking, dirt poor folk, the depression, people without refrigeration, white-trash cooking. Making snide remarks and letting innuendo do your dirty work is fairly cowardly. Saying you don't like canned milk because it's low-class or Mexican is reprehensible but at least it ain't cowardly.
>>>

>> It's low class because anyone with any taste would only consume it if they
>> were too poor to get decent food.

>>> We were in a three hour long graduation ceremony at the University of Hawaii Manoa yesterday. Towards the end, my daughter sneaked in a Spam musubi into the Stan Sheriff Center and was munching on it. I had a small bite and it was sublime. That small nibble might have saved my life.
>>>

>> Great weather, awful food. That Hawai'i.

>>> That's awful charitable of you. I consider dissing something simply because it's outside your of life experiences to be an ignorant thing to do.
>>>

>> You think that folks have never tasted canned milk, or Spam? I have to admit
>> that I've never tried poi, but the descriptions are enough. Shitty food is
>> the price you pay to live where you live.
>>>>

>> --Bryan

> You're saying food is crap if it doesn't cost a lot. That's pretty lame, sounds like you're twelve years old. Grow up.

Impossible, the castration alone made it so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 5:25:03 AM UTC-8, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 2:40:06 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>
> > What exactly is wrong with canned milk? Do you even know?

> It's cooked. It tastes weird. I can barely stomach that UHT pasteurized
> junk in a box; canned is completely beyond the pale.

There are a couple of issues he
1. Few cows are to be found in the tropics. Canned milk was historically
the solution to a long supply chain from cow to drinker.
And a Vietnamese iced coffee with sweetened condensed milk is sublime.

2. Evaporated milk had two uses: if you lived off the grid, like Brooklyn,
yet you wanted milk for your coffee; or for cooking and baking. The taste
of cooked milk in a casserole or quiche is a non-issue. In fact, evaporated
milk never gives the broken-down protein taste that fresh milk can when
overheated.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 7:34:44 AM UTC-10, Abiquiu wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> >> UHT Pasteurized milk is pretty much exactly like canned evaporated milk,
> >> reconstituted to regular milk strength with water. I use the stuff to
> >> make probiotic cultured milk, which doesn't taste good, but that's not
> >> why I drink a glass every morning. It's medicine.

> >> It's low class because anyone with any taste would only consume it if they
> >> were too poor to get decent food.

> >> Great weather, awful food. That Hawai'i.

> >> You think that folks have never tasted canned milk, or Spam? I have to admit
> >> that I've never tried poi, but the descriptions are enough. Shitty food is
> >> the price you pay to live where you live.
> >>>>
> >> --Bryan

> > You're saying food is crap if it doesn't cost a lot. That's pretty lame, sounds like you're twelve years old. Grow up.
> >

> Impossible, the castration alone made it so.

That's the kind of whiny shit the kids used to pull when they were little. Hee hee.

I went to my aunt's memorial service yesterday. I was surprised that the Buddhist priest's name was Al Kaufman. On further examination it appeared that he was a haole. That's the first time I've seen that. The times they are a'changing. The good thing about that was I could understand him when he was speaking English. That's the first time I've seen that too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 7:34:44 AM UTC-10, Abiquiu wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> You're saying food is crap if it doesn't cost a lot. That's pretty lame, sounds like you're twelve years old. Grow up.
>>>

>> Impossible, the castration alone made it so.

> That's the kind of whiny shit the kids used to pull when they were little. Hee hee.

<chuckle>

> I went to my aunt's memorial service yesterday. I was surprised that the Buddhist priest's name was Al Kaufman. On further examination it appeared that he was a haole. That's the first time I've seen that. The times they are a'changing. The good thing about that was I could understand him when he was speaking English. That's the first time I've seen that too.

A Jewish Buddhist, yeah buddy, that's change we can believe in!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 7:49:24 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 5:25:03 AM UTC-8, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 2:40:06 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > > What exactly is wrong with canned milk? Do you even know?

> > It's cooked. It tastes weird. I can barely stomach that UHT pasteurized
> > junk in a box; canned is completely beyond the pale.
> >

> There are a couple of issues he
> 1. Few cows are to be found in the tropics. Canned milk was historically
> the solution to a long supply chain from cow to drinker.
> And a Vietnamese iced coffee with sweetened condensed milk is sublime.
>
> 2. Evaporated milk had two uses: if you lived off the grid, like Brooklyn,
> yet you wanted milk for your coffee; or for cooking and baking. The taste
> of cooked milk in a casserole or quiche is a non-issue. In fact, evaporated
> milk never gives the broken-down protein taste that fresh milk can when
> overheated.

Brooklyn is off the grid? Hoo boy! The old timers or people that grew up on the more rural areas of Hawaii ate a lot of foods that were canned. These days, everyone in Hawaii has refrigeration so eating/cooking like that has fallen out of favor.

The Pacific islanders to the North and South of us still value canned meats and will take a supply of it with them wherever they may roam. It's sorta like an all-purpose currency/gift/life-jacket to them. They'd take deep offense to some ignorant, ex-punk-rocker-clown, calling it "low class."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 10:20:38 AM UTC-8, dsi1 wrote:

> The Pacific islanders to the North and South of us still value canned meats and will take a supply of it with them wherever they may roam. It's sorta like an all-purpose currency/gift/life-jacket to them. They'd take deep offense to some ignorant, ex-punk-rocker-clown, calling it "low class."

A friend of my wife's worked a couple years on contract in Samoa. She
said the food staples were taro and canned corned beef. The locals
preferred the variety with "extra fat."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 8:28:35 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 10:20:38 AM UTC-8, dsi1 wrote:
>
> > The Pacific islanders to the North and South of us still value canned meats and will take a supply of it with them wherever they may roam. It's sorta like an all-purpose currency/gift/life-jacket to them. They'd take deep offense to some ignorant, ex-punk-rocker-clown, calling it "low class."
> >

> A friend of my wife's worked a couple years on contract in Samoa. She
> said the food staples were taro and canned corned beef. The locals
> preferred the variety with "extra fat."

The Samoans don't care for corned beef that comes in trapezoidal cans - just round ones. The Hawaiians OTOH, never had the round-can corned beef because they weren't sold here. These days, the round-can beef is sold here and it's better quality stuff than the Hawaiian-kine. The clumps of fat in the round cans are kind of weird though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 11:34:44 AM UTC-6, Abiquiu wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> >> UHT Pasteurized milk is pretty much exactly like canned evaporated milk,
> >> reconstituted to regular milk strength with water. I use the stuff to
> >> make probiotic cultured milk, which doesn't taste good, but that's not
> >> why I drink a glass every morning. It's medicine.

> >> It's low class because anyone with any taste would only consume it if they
> >> were too poor to get decent food.

> >> Great weather, awful food. That Hawai'i.

> >> You think that folks have never tasted canned milk, or Spam? I have to admit
> >> that I've never tried poi, but the descriptions are enough. Shitty food is
> >> the price you pay to live where you live.
> >>>>
> >> --Bryan

> > You're saying food is crap if it doesn't cost a lot. That's pretty lame, sounds like you're twelve years old. Grow up.

Poor folks who couldn't afford the luxury of refrigeration settled for
non-fresh milk. They got used to it, and it became part of their standard
cuisine. There are folks who eat innards too, even the shit tube intestines.

Like SPAM, canned milk "is cheap and non-perishable."
http://www.thehawaiiplan.com/why-do-...ans-love-spam/

> Impossible, the castration alone made it so.

Well, whatever your other deficits, we know that you're not castrated. It
would take some SERIOUS raging hormones to keep a stiffy while in the
presence of your cetacean sister.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 8:28:35 AM UTC-10, wrote:
>> On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 10:20:38 AM UTC-8, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>>> The Pacific islanders to the North and South of us still value canned meats and will take a supply of it with them wherever they may roam. It's sorta like an all-purpose currency/gift/life-jacket to them. They'd take deep offense to some ignorant, ex-punk-rocker-clown, calling it "low class."
>>>

>> A friend of my wife's worked a couple years on contract in Samoa. She
>> said the food staples were taro and canned corned beef. The locals
>> preferred the variety with "extra fat."

> The Samoans don't care for corned beef that comes in trapezoidal cans - just round ones.

Interesting!

Why?

> The Hawaiians OTOH, never had the round-can corned beef because they weren't sold here. These days, the round-can beef is sold here and it's better quality stuff than the Hawaiian-kine. The clumps of fat in the round cans are kind of weird though.

How are you folks on Mary Kitchen canned beef hash?

http://www.hormel.com/Brands/Hormel-...chen-Hash.aspx

That and Dinty Moore stew saw me though many a pickup truck camping trip...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 12:20:38 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 7:49:24 AM UTC-10, wrote:

> > > It's cooked. It tastes weird. I can barely stomach that UHT pasteurized
> > > junk in a box; canned is completely beyond the pale.
> > >

> > There are a couple of issues he
> > 1. Few cows are to be found in the tropics. Canned milk was historically
> > the solution to a long supply chain from cow to drinker.
> > And a Vietnamese iced coffee with sweetened condensed milk is sublime.
> >
> > 2. Evaporated milk had two uses: if you lived off the grid, like Brooklyn,
> > yet you wanted milk for your coffee; or for cooking and baking. The taste
> > of cooked milk in a casserole or quiche is a non-issue. In fact, evaporated
> > milk never gives the broken-down protein taste that fresh milk can when
> > overheated.

> Brooklyn is off the grid? Hoo boy! The old timers or people that grew up on the more rural areas of Hawaii ate a lot of foods that were canned. These days, everyone in Hawaii has refrigeration so eating/cooking like that has fallen out of favor.
>
> The Pacific islanders to the North and South of us still value canned meats and will take a supply of it with them wherever they may roam. It's sorta like an all-purpose currency/gift/life-jacket to them. They'd take deep offense to some ignorant, ex-punk-rocker-clown, calling it "low class."

They would have a legitimate argument that living somewhere that doesn't have
abundant *good tasting* food is more healthful. They could say, "Look at you
fat **** Missourians, tied for #16 as the most obese state, whereas Hawai'i
has the second LOWEST obesity rate."

http://khon2.com/2014/09/04/hawaii-h...y-report-says/

You're not going to get fat eating the minimum you can choke down.

--Bryan