Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Great Holiday Baking Show

Anyone catch the first episode? I don't care much for
cooking competition shows but it was interesting to see what
results came of trying to make gingerbread houses in four hours.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Anyone catch the first episode? I don't care much for
> cooking competition shows but it was interesting to see what
> results came of trying to make gingerbread houses in four hours.
>
> nancy

what's the rush?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 18:00:17 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> Anyone catch the first episode? I don't care much for
> cooking competition shows but it was interesting to see what
> results came of trying to make gingerbread houses in four hours.

I dislike cooking competitions to the point that I didn't even know it
was on. The final result would have been interesting, but suffering
through the entire show just to get there....

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-12-02 21:24, sf wrote:

> I dislike cooking competitions to the point that I didn't even know it
> was on. The final result would have been interesting, but suffering
> through the entire show just to get there....

The cooking contests on the food networks are just another version of
"reality" shows. There is usually at least one contestant who mentions
that she has a mother, sister, aunt or friend who has cancer or who has
recently died. To mention that in a competition is just adding some
drama to the show.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 18:00:17 -0500, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>> Anyone catch the first episode? I don't care much for
>> cooking competition shows but it was interesting to see what
>> results came of trying to make gingerbread houses in four hours.
>>

> I dislike cooking competitions to the point that I didn't even know it
> was on. The final result would have been interesting, but suffering
> through the entire show just to get there....

+1!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/2/2015 9:37 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-12-02 21:24, sf wrote:
>>
>> I dislike cooking competitions to the point that I didn't even know it
>> was on. The final result would have been interesting, but suffering
>> through the entire show just to get there....
>>

> The cooking contests on the food networks are just another version of
> "reality" shows. There is usually at least one contestant who mentions
> that she has a mother, sister, aunt or friend who has cancer or who has
> recently died. To mention that in a competition is just adding some
> drama to the show.

I thought having Mary Berry as a judge was supposed to be the hook.

Anyway, I did wonder how they came up with the six contestants.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 9:10:15 PM UTC-6, Nancy Young wrote:

> I thought having Mary Berry as a judge was supposed to be the hook.
>
> Anyway, I did wonder how they came up with the six contestants.
>
> nancy

Is this "The Great British Baking Show?"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 21:37:10 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2015-12-02 21:24, sf wrote:
> >
> > I dislike cooking competitions to the point that I didn't even know it
> > was on. The final result would have been interesting, but suffering
> > through the entire show just to get there....
> >

> The cooking contests on the food networks are just another version of
> "reality" shows. There is usually at least one contestant who mentions
> that she has a mother, sister, aunt or friend who has cancer or who has
> recently died. To mention that in a competition is just adding some
> drama to the show.

Aren't the people who do that competing for a cause?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 21:37:10 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2015-12-02 21:24, sf wrote:
>> >
>> > I dislike cooking competitions to the point that I didn't even know it
>> > was on. The final result would have been interesting, but suffering
>> > through the entire show just to get there....
>> >

>> The cooking contests on the food networks are just another version of
>> "reality" shows. There is usually at least one contestant who mentions
>> that she has a mother, sister, aunt or friend who has cancer or who has
>> recently died. To mention that in a competition is just adding some
>> drama to the show.
>>

> Aren't the people who do that competing for a cause?

Nope. There is always one with a dramatic back-story.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"el pedernal" > wrote in message
> sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 18:00:17 -0500, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone catch the first episode? I don't care much for
>>> cooking competition shows but it was interesting to see what
>>> results came of trying to make gingerbread houses in four hours.
>>>

>> I dislike cooking competitions to the point that I didn't even know it
>> was on. The final result would have been interesting, but suffering
>> through the entire show just to get there....
>>

> +1!!!

ditto

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/3/2015 12:27 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 21:37:10 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>> The cooking contests on the food networks are just another version of
>> "reality" shows. There is usually at least one contestant who mentions
>> that she has a mother, sister, aunt or friend who has cancer or who has
>> recently died. To mention that in a competition is just adding some
>> drama to the show.
>>

> Aren't the people who do that competing for a cause?

I don't know anything about that, myself, since I never watch them,
not even Iron Chef. Not my thing. I thought it would be nice to
see people making cookies.

These days it seems like the only people cooking on TV anymore are
celebrities. Tiffani Theissen can cook for me any day.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy, the ABC 4-week show is derivative of the original Brit program, just
ended on PBS. My TVG said it was on in the evenings, but I found it here
On Saturday morning.

Mary Berry was also a judge in the British show.

It was really demanding and tough. I don't yet see the same expertise
among the ABC program participants, but I could be wrong. I really enjoyed the
PBS one, which was much longer and started out with at least twice the
number of bakers.

I will watch the ABC one anyway. I like competitions, especially baking
or cooking ones.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> These days it seems like the only people cooking on TV anymore are
> celebrities. Tiffani Theissen can cook for me any day.

WHOA! I don't know if she can cook or not but she's welcome in my
house anyday. heheh
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Itsjoan, see my comment. It is derivative and much shorter,
lasting only four weeks.

I don't believe they are doing the show for charity, but I don't
know what the "prize" is. The British one only offered the title
of "Star Baker," as far as I know.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/3/2015 8:21 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Nancy, the ABC 4-week show is derivative of the original Brit program, just
> ended on PBS. My TVG said it was on in the evenings, but I found it here
> On Saturday morning.

I have that show on my list on Netflix streaming. Haven't watched it yet.

> Mary Berry was also a judge in the British show.

They make it seen she's quite the celebrity chef in the UK.

> It was really demanding and tough. I don't yet see the same expertise
> among the ABC program participants, but I could be wrong.

No offense to the people, but they really are amateurs, for the
most part. Not amateurs in the sense that they haven't been paid to
bake, but amateurs who have little experience.

> I really enjoyed the
> PBS one, which was much longer and started out with at least twice the
> number of bakers.
>
> I will watch the ABC one anyway. I like competitions, especially baking
> or cooking ones.

I more like shows where I might make what they're making, I don't learn
anything from competitions. Okay, since I don't watch them, of course
I don't. Ha. The only thing I think I learned from the first episode
was what brandy snaps are. And that if you're going on a cooking
competition show involving decorative anything, you should practice
your piping skills.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/3/2015 8:21 AM, Gary wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> These days it seems like the only people cooking on TV anymore are
>> celebrities. Tiffani Theissen can cook for me any day.

> WHOA! I don't know if she can cook or not but she's welcome in my
> house anyday. heheh

She's got it going on in the kitchen, and I don't mean it the
way you might. (laugh) And! she's funny and bright.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 05:21:05 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Nancy, the ABC 4-week show is derivative of the original Brit program, just
>ended on PBS. My TVG said it was on in the evenings, but I found it here
>On Saturday morning.
>
>Mary Berry was also a judge in the British show.
>
>It was really demanding and tough. I don't yet see the same expertise
>among the ABC program participants, but I could be wrong. I really enjoyed the
>PBS one, which was much longer and started out with at least twice the
>number of bakers.
>
>I will watch the ABC one anyway. I like competitions, especially baking
>or cooking ones.
>
>N.

I loved the one on PBS - only decent cooking show around. None of the
accompanying foolishness of these so=called 'reality' shows.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-12-03 12:27 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 21:37:10 -0500, Dave Smith

>> The cooking contests on the food networks are just another version of
>> "reality" shows. There is usually at least one contestant who mentions
>> that she has a mother, sister, aunt or friend who has cancer or who has
>> recently died. To mention that in a competition is just adding some
>> drama to the show.
>>

> Aren't the people who do that competing for a cause?

Beats me. I have never watched one long enough to get that from them. I
just know that the times I have surfed through to one and watched it for
a few minutes the contestants invariably talked about how they had a
very sick mother, sister or best friend, or had recently had one of
those people die on them. AFAIAC, their personal grief is irrelevant to
the contest and thrown in only to add some drama to the show.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 05:24:49 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Itsjoan, see my comment. It is derivative and much shorter,
>lasting only four weeks.
>
>I don't believe they are doing the show for charity, but I don't
>know what the "prize" is. The British one only offered the title
>of "Star Baker," as far as I know.
>
>N.

Correct.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-12-03 8:30 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> It was really demanding and tough. I don't yet see the same expertise
>> among the ABC program participants, but I could be wrong.

> No offense to the people, but they really are amateurs, for the
> most part. Not amateurs in the sense that they haven't been paid to
> bake, but amateurs who have little experience.

One of the reasons for these same contests shows is that those amateurs
work cheap. They don't need to hire as many writers. They don't need
rehearsal time. It is a cheap way to fill programming time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/3/2015 8:53 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-12-03 8:30 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>>> It was really demanding and tough. I don't yet see the same expertise
>>> among the ABC program participants, but I could be wrong.

>> No offense to the people, but they really are amateurs, for the
>> most part. Not amateurs in the sense that they haven't been paid to
>> bake, but amateurs who have little experience.

> One of the reasons for these same contests shows is that those amateurs
> work cheap. They don't need to hire as many writers. They don't need
> rehearsal time. It is a cheap way to fill programming time.

Same thing for all reality shows, they are cheap to produce.
Someone's watching all these cupcake wars kind of shows, though,
because if they weren't getting the ratings, they wouldn't get the
sponsors. I used to watch cooking shows even if they weren't making
food I'd like because it's soothing and you might see something you
didn't know.

But competition shows, no recipes, no new technique, just rush rush
and people yelling ONE MINUTE! Stresses me out. Heh.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 8:24:13 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 18:00:17 -0500, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
> > Anyone catch the first episode? I don't care much for
> > cooking competition shows but it was interesting to see what
> > results came of trying to make gingerbread houses in four hours.
> >

> I dislike cooking competitions to the point that I didn't even know it
> was on. The final result would have been interesting, but suffering
> through the entire show just to get there....
>

> --
>
> sf

Screw cooking competitions!! Glad I Killed My Television so now I don't have to worry about those POS "cooking" SHOWS!! They are not about cooking anymore, it's all about the SHOW!! And SELLING AD TIME!!

Screw all of that!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> Screw cooking competitions!! Glad I Killed My Television so now I don't have to worry about those POS "cooking" SHOWS!! They are not about cooking anymore, it's all about the SHOW!! And SELLING AD TIME!!
>
> Screw all of that!

I'm not big on cooking competition shows either. I did like "Iron
Chef" and will still even check in with the "Chopped" shows
occasionally. You don't learn recipes but they give you ideas to
consider. Interesting how they take some ingredients and make
something good. The judges on Chopped are all morons imo though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 10:45:46 AM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 8:24:13 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 18:00:17 -0500, Nancy Young
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Anyone catch the first episode? I don't care much for
> > > cooking competition shows but it was interesting to see what
> > > results came of trying to make gingerbread houses in four hours.
> > >

> > I dislike cooking competitions to the point that I didn't even know it
> > was on. The final result would have been interesting, but suffering
> > through the entire show just to get there....
> >

> > --
> >
> > sf

> Screw cooking competitions!! Glad I Killed My Television so now I don't have to worry about those POS "cooking" SHOWS!! They are not about cooking anymore, it's all about the SHOW!! And SELLING AD TIME!!
>
> Screw all of that!
>
> John Kuthe...

Then why in the name of Julia Child did you even read
this thread?

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 5:45:46 AM UTC-10, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 8:24:13 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 18:00:17 -0500, Nancy Young
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Anyone catch the first episode? I don't care much for
> > > cooking competition shows but it was interesting to see what
> > > results came of trying to make gingerbread houses in four hours.
> > >

> > I dislike cooking competitions to the point that I didn't even know it
> > was on. The final result would have been interesting, but suffering
> > through the entire show just to get there....
> >

> > --
> >
> > sf

> Screw cooking competitions!! Glad I Killed My Television so now I don't have to worry about those POS "cooking" SHOWS!! They are not about cooking anymore, it's all about the SHOW!! And SELLING AD TIME!!
>
> Screw all of that!
>
> John Kuthe...

I can see why you hate those programs - those programs have their origins from China! Twas the Iron Chef TV program that started it all. I know it was a Japanese program but you can't deny that it all comes from the same region and they both are kind of funny lookin' people. They also use sticks to eat food, the same as the Chinese. OTOH, Iron Chef was a huge spectacle while these copy cats look like cheap Walmart crap programs. THAT'S NOT RIGHT!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Dec 2015 11:35:18 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>John Kuthe wrote:
>>
>> Screw cooking competitions!! Glad I Killed My Television so now I don't have to worry about those POS "cooking" SHOWS!! They are not about cooking anymore, it's all about the SHOW!! And SELLING AD TIME!!
>>
>> Screw all of that!

>I'm not big on cooking competition shows either. I did like "Iron
>Chef" and will still even check in with the "Chopped" shows
>occasionally. You don't learn recipes but they give you ideas to
>consider. Interesting how they take some ingredients and make
>something good. The judges on Chopped are all morons imo though.

He's screeching his head off again while not knowing a damn thing -
it's a PBS show, no ads and very different to NA shows of that ilk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-12-03 11:35 AM, Gary wrote:

> I'm not big on cooking competition shows either. I did like "Iron
> Chef" and will still even check in with the "Chopped" shows
> occasionally. You don't learn recipes but they give you ideas to
> consider. Interesting how they take some ingredients and make
> something good. The judges on Chopped are all morons imo though.

I never thought much of Iron Chef and the whole concept of a cooking
competition for people under pressure. Now I have to look back and think
how much better it was the crap that it spawned.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 07:43:00 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> These days it seems like the only people cooking on TV anymore are
> celebrities.

I tend to watch it weekday mornings, so it's the old stalwarts. Bobby
Flay is starting to be appt television for me... 9:30 AM, Food
Network.

> Tiffani Theissen can cook for me any day.

No idea who she is. What channel/time?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 09:26:05 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 10:45:46 AM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 8:24:13 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
>> > On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 18:00:17 -0500, Nancy Young

>> > I dislike cooking competitions to the point that I didn't even know it
>> > was on. The final result would have been interesting, but suffering
>> > through the entire show just to get there....
>> >

>> > --
>> >
>> > sf

>> Screw cooking competitions!! Glad I Killed My Television so now I don't have to worry about those POS "cooking" SHOWS!! They are not about cooking anymore, it's all about the SHOW!! And SELLING AD TIME!!
>>
>> Screw all of that!
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>Then why in the name of Julia Child did you even read
>this thread?
>
>Cindy Hamilton

---- said, hitting the nail on the head!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Those may be brandy snaps in some circles, but my recipe calls them
"Lace Cookies."

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yeah, those Chopped judges really are "morons"....really? Alex Guarnaschelli
is an Iron Chef, and Aaron Sanchez is a respected Mexican cuisine chef.
The other regular judges are also respected chefs or restaurant owners/ chefs.
Successful ones, at that. I guess that makes them morons, alright.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-12-03 6:25 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Those may be brandy snaps in some circles, but my recipe calls them
> "Lace Cookies."

That reminds me. I have not made Florentines in years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/12/2015 3:27 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-12-03 11:35 AM, Gary wrote:
>
>> I'm not big on cooking competition shows either. I did like "Iron
>> Chef" and will still even check in with the "Chopped" shows
>> occasionally. You don't learn recipes but they give you ideas to
>> consider. Interesting how they take some ingredients and make
>> something good. The judges on Chopped are all morons imo though.
>>

> I never thought much of Iron Chef and the whole concept of a cooking
> competition for people under pressure. Now I have to look back and think
> how much better it was the crap that it spawned.

It was CRAP and it spread like a virus!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 4:39:33 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 07:43:00 -0500, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
> > These days it seems like the only people cooking on TV anymore are
> > celebrities.

> I tend to watch it weekday mornings, so it's the old stalwarts. Bobby
> Flay is starting to be appt television for me... 9:30 AM, Food
> Network.
>
> > Tiffani Theissen can cook for me any day.

> No idea who she is. What channel/time?
>

> --
>
> sf

I have no idea, but she has a great stripper name! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 17:21:38 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 4:39:33 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 07:43:00 -0500, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > These days it seems like the only people cooking on TV anymore are
>> > celebrities.

>> I tend to watch it weekday mornings, so it's the old stalwarts. Bobby
>> Flay is starting to be appt television for me... 9:30 AM, Food
>> Network.
>>
>> > Tiffani Theissen can cook for me any day.

>> No idea who she is. What channel/time?
>>

>> --
>>
>> sf

>I have no idea, but she has a great stripper name! :-)
>
>John Kuthe...

Tiffani Amber Theissen has very decent C cup implants too.
http://brasizemeasurements.org/tiffa...astic-surgery/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

AFAICS, Gordon Ramsey is the only screaming and yelling chef. I can't watch him,
at all, in anything. Real, respected chefs, don't do that, at least the ones I watch.

N.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-12-03 21:57, Nancy2 wrote:
> AFAICS, Gordon Ramsey is the only screaming and yelling chef. I can't watch him,
> at all, in anything. Real, respected chefs, don't do that, at least the ones I watch.

In some of his later programs he was much more subdued, but I had
trouble getting past the abusiveness displayed in the earlier ones.