kilikini

Default Low Carb Ham Ideas?

We cured and smoked our own ham last week and we have quite a bit left, but
we're bord with it. Anyone have any good recipe ideas on what to do with
the leftover slices? There's just two of us and we have a rather large
tupperware container full.

I'd love to do scalloped potatoes, but we'd prefer to not eat the carbs.
(TFM is becoming The Fat Man again since we got married 3 weeks ago. He he
he.)

Any ham-veggie ideas? No omelettes please! That's how we got rid of the
LAST ham we cured & smoked.

TIA.

kili

Nancy Howells

In article >, "kilikini"
> wrote:

> We cured and smoked our own ham last week and we have quite a bit left,
> but
> we're bord with it. Anyone have any good recipe ideas on what to do with
> the leftover slices? There's just two of us and we have a rather large
> tupperware container full.
>
> I'd love to do scalloped potatoes, but we'd prefer to not eat the carbs.
> (TFM is becoming The Fat Man again since we got married 3 weeks ago. He
> he
> he.)
>
> Any ham-veggie ideas? No omelettes please! That's how we got rid of the
> LAST ham we cured & smoked.
>
> TIA.
>
> kili

How about scalloped cauliflower with ham?

I would also think about a bean soup, using black soybeans instead of
other higher-carb beans. Ham and cheese melts (no bread, or low-carb
bread) are favorites at my house. Ham and scrambled eggs (perhaps a
little too close to omelettes for your comfort, sorry...) are also good,
as are deviled eggs with ham ground into it. I don't know why you
couldn't do a veggie stir-fry and add ham to it instead of poultry -
just add the ham at the end.

--
Nancy Howells (don't forget to switch it, and replace the to send mail).
Hahabogus

"kilikini" > wrote in
:

> We cured and smoked our own ham last week and we have quite a bit
> left, but we're bord with it. Anyone have any good recipe ideas on
> what to do with the leftover slices? There's just two of us and we
> have a rather large tupperware container full.
>
> I'd love to do scalloped potatoes, but we'd prefer to not eat the
> carbs. (TFM is becoming The Fat Man again since we got married 3 weeks
> ago. He he he.)
>
> Any ham-veggie ideas? No omelettes please! That's how we got rid of
> the LAST ham we cured & smoked.
>
> TIA.
>
> kili

Stir fries?
use with melted or not cheese in a tortilla as in a roll up?
Pan fried with cheese sprinkled scrambled eggs on the side?
various soup recipes?
grilled ham and cheese samwhiches?
in a sauce for spaghetti squash?
As in a Cobb's salad?
a cordon blue type dish?
Grind it up and make a kinda garlic sausage?
various ham casseroles (see below)
pasta salad ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ham Asparagus casserole
Ingredients

4 slice ham
1 package asparagus, frozen
1 can cream of celery soup
2 tbsp milk

Directions

Wrap ham around 3 or 4 asparagus spears. Fasten with toothpick.
Arrange in a shallow baking dish. Combine soup, milk then pour over
ham. Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees or until done. Randy Rigg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
7 layer Ham Cassarole http://www.recipezaar.com/16320

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Creamy Ham Casserole

1/2 cup MIRACLE WHIP Light Dressing
1/4 cup 2% reduced fat milk
1-1/2 cups rotini pasta pasta, cooked, drained
2 cups broccoli florets
1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped ham
1/2 green or red pepper, chopped
1-1/2 cups KRAFT 2% Milk Shredded Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese, divided
Seasoned croutons (optional)

MIX dressing and milk in large bowl. Add pasta, broccoli, ham, peppers and
1 cup of the cheese; mix lightly.
SPOON into 1-1/2-quart casserole. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
BAKE at 350°F for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with
croutons.

KRAFT KITCHENS TIPS

Great Substitute
Substitute frozen broccoli florets, thawed, for fresh broccoli.

Use Your Microwave
Mix casserole as directed; spoon into 1-1/2-quart microwavable casserole.
Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Microwave on HIGH 8 to 10 minutes
or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with croutons.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Exported from MasterCook *

Western Ham Roll-Ups

Recipe By :n/a
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers

6 thin slices ham
6 slices Swiss cheese
6 half-sour pickle spears
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons mustard

Trim ham, cheese and pickles to equal lengths. Lay out ham slices, top
with cheese slices.

Combine mayo and mustard; spread onto cheese. Lay pickle in center and
roll up tightly. Cut into bite-sized pieces.

This recipe yields 8 servings.

Carbohydrates: 1.5 grams
Net Carbs: 1.5 grams
Protein: 8 grams
Fat: 9.5 grams
Calories: 120

"So simple youll want to keep a batch of these in the refrigerator all
the time."
Source:
"Atkins Cookbook at http://atkinscenter.com"
S(Formatted for MC6):
"06-24-2003 by Joe Comiskey - Mad's Recipe Emporium"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 347 Calories; 26g Fat (68.4%
calories from fat); 24g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 79mg
Cholesterol; 288mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Lean Meat; 3 Fat; 0 Other
Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Exported from MasterCook *

Monte Cristo Sandwiches

Recipe By :n/a
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Main Dish Sandwiches

4 tablespoons butter -- softened
8 slices Atkins white or rye bread
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
8 ounces smoked ham slices
8 ounces Swiss cheese slices
8 ounces roasted turkey breast slices
4 eggs
1/3 cup cream -- plus
3 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon salt

Spread 4 slices of bread with mustard. Divide ham, cheese, and turkey
slices over bread. Top with remaining bread slices and press down to
flatten slightly.

Mix eggs, cream mixture and salt in a shallow bowl. Melt butter on a
griddle or in 2 skillets over medium heat. Dip each sandwich into batter,
coating well.

Cook sandwiches 3 to 4 minutes per side until golden brown. Press down
lightly with a spatula once or twice during cooking time to melt the
cheese.

This recipe yields 4 servings.

Carbohydrates: 21.5 grams
Net Carbs: 11.5 grams
Fiber: 10 grams
Protein: 53 grams
Fat: 46 grams
Calories: 740

"When served with a green salad, this filling sandwich makes a perfect
light supper. Traditionally made with three slices of bread per sandwich,
our carb controlled version uses only two."
Source:
"Atkins Cookbook at http://atkinscenter.com"
S(Formatted for MC6):
"06-06-2003 by Joe Comiskey - Mad's Recipe Emporium"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 433 Calories; 37g Fat (76.1%
calories from fat); 22g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
287mg Cholesterol; 657mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Lean Meat; 5 1/2 Fat; 0
Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pinwheels

Recipe By :n/a
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers Snacks

4 ounces cream cheese -- softened
4 ounces chipped beef or ham
1 tablespoon onion -- grated
1 teaspoon horseradish
1 dash Worcestershire sauce

Blend cream cheese, onion, horseradish, and Worcestershire sauce until of
spreading consistency.

Carefully separate slices of beef or ham and spread with cheese mixture.
Roll as for jelly roll and fasten with toothpicks. Chill.

Just before serving, slice into 1/2-inch slices.

This recipe yields ?? servings; approximately 1.5 carb grams per serving.

Source:
"Low Carb Recipes at http://www.lowcarbluxury.com"
S(Formatted for MC6):
"06-08-2003 by Joe Comiskey - Mad's Recipe Emporium"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 402 Calories; 40g Fat (87.0%
calories from fat); 9g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 124mg
Cholesterol; 347mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 7 1/2 Fat;
0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Hahabogus

"kilikini" > wrote in
:

> We cured and smoked our own ham last week and we have quite a bit
> left, but we're bord with it. Anyone have any good recipe ideas on
> what to do with the leftover slices? There's just two of us and we
> have a rather large tupperware container full.
>
> I'd love to do scalloped potatoes, but we'd prefer to not eat the
> carbs. (TFM is becoming The Fat Man again since we got married 3 weeks
> ago. He he he.)
>
> Any ham-veggie ideas? No omelettes please! That's how we got rid of
> the LAST ham we cured & smoked.
>
> TIA.
>
> kili

A few places to look for your own low carb ideas

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search?q=low+carb
http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/backissues.html
http://tinyurl.com/4pf95 (a mess of asdlc recipes)
http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes.html
http://www.lowcarbcafe.com/cgi-bin/recipe/recipe.cgi

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
notbob

On 2004-11-11, kilikini > wrote:

> I'd love to do scalloped potatoes, but we'd prefer to not eat the carbs.
> (TFM is becoming The Fat Man again since we got married 3 weeks ago. He he
> he.)

????

The only pic I've ever seen of TFM, he wasn't even remotely fat. 'Course that
pic may have been really old. Anywho, screw the Adkins diet. I was on it
for months. Sure, I lost 30 lbs on it, but eventually the losses stopped
and I was left with eating tons of meat to no advantage. I've gone to a
much more logical diet of eating less meat and more veggies and fruits. I
even eat starches now and then, just not many. I'm again losing weight and
not locked into that tired ol' meat/cheese grind. I feel better for it, too.

nb

notbob

On 2004-11-11, kilikini > wrote:

> Any ham-veggie ideas?

oh yeah! Make deviled ham spread.

nb
kilikini

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2004-11-11, kilikini > wrote:
>
> > I'd love to do scalloped potatoes, but we'd prefer to not eat the carbs.
> > (TFM is becoming The Fat Man again since we got married 3 weeks ago. He

he
> > he.)

> ????
>
> The only pic I've ever seen of TFM, he wasn't even remotely fat. 'Course

that
> pic may have been really old. Anywho, screw the Adkins diet. I was on it
> for months. Sure, I lost 30 lbs on it, but eventually the losses stopped
> and I was left with eating tons of meat to no advantage. I've gone to a
> much more logical diet of eating less meat and more veggies and fruits. I
> even eat starches now and then, just not many. I'm again losing weight

and
> not locked into that tired ol' meat/cheese grind. I feel better for it,

too.

> nb

TFM lost 60 pounds on Adkins, Nb. He's kind of been off of the diet for
about 6 months now and is getting his belly back, so we're going back to
Adkins. 'Course he's been eating a lot of beans, rice, cornbread, bread,
etc. At least we have to cut back! <g>

kili

notbob

On 2004-11-11, kilikini > wrote:
> Adkins. 'Course he's been eating a lot of beans, rice, cornbread, bread,

Beans shouldn't be a problem. It's that "lot of" that does it.

nb
Hahabogus

notbob > wrote in

> Anywho, screw the Adkins diet.

No mention of Atkins was mentioned, only a desire to eat less carbs.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Dawn

kilikini wrote:

> We cured and smoked our own ham last week and we have quite a bit left, but
> we're bord with it. Anyone have any good recipe ideas on what to do with
> the leftover slices? There's just two of us and we have a rather large
> tupperware container full.

When I have that much leftover I put it in the freezer for later and
then move on to something else. In a month or so you can pull it out and
enjoy it again.

Meanwhile, have you tried scalloped cauliflower? Pre-cook the
cauliflower, drain well, top with cheese sauce and crushed pork rinds
and bake until bubbly and golden. Ham is really good in that.

Dawn

Katra

> On 2004-11-11, kilikini > wrote:
>
> > I'd love to do scalloped potatoes, but we'd prefer to not eat the carbs.
> > (TFM is becoming The Fat Man again since we got married 3 weeks ago. He he
> > he.)

Cauliflower. :-)
Either steamed with cheese sauce, or pureed and used as faux mashed
"potatoes".

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

> On 2004-11-11, kilikini > wrote:
>
> > I'd love to do scalloped potatoes, but we'd prefer to not eat the carbs.
> > (TFM is becoming The Fat Man again since we got married 3 weeks ago. He he
> > he.)

Cauliflower. :-)
Either steamed with cheese sauce, or pureed and used as faux mashed
"potatoes".

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

BOB

kilikini wrote:
> We cured and smoked our own ham last week and we have quite a bit left, but
> we're bord with it. Anyone have any good recipe ideas on what to do with
> the leftover slices? There's just two of us and we have a rather large
> tupperware container full.
>
> I'd love to do scalloped potatoes, but we'd prefer to not eat the carbs.
> (TFM is becoming The Fat Man again since we got married 3 weeks ago. He he
> he.)
>
> Any ham-veggie ideas? No omelettes please! That's how we got rid of the
> LAST ham we cured & smoked.

Try the Dr. Suess recipe...Green eggs and Ham.
;-)

BOB

kilikini

"Katra" > wrote in message

> > On 2004-11-11, kilikini > wrote:
> >
> > > I'd love to do scalloped potatoes, but we'd prefer to not eat the

carbs.
> > > (TFM is becoming The Fat Man again since we got married 3 weeks ago.

He he
> > > he.)

> Cauliflower. :-)
> Either steamed with cheese sauce, or pureed and used as faux mashed
> "potatoes".
>
> K.

Katra, I would LOVE to try a Cauliflower dish, but the man won't eat it
cooked, period. He won't touch it. He'll grind the whole thing down raw,
but won't come in the house if it's cooked. I love it cooked, but not raw!

kili

kilikini

"Katra" > wrote in message

> > On 2004-11-11, kilikini > wrote:
> >
> > > I'd love to do scalloped potatoes, but we'd prefer to not eat the

carbs.
> > > (TFM is becoming The Fat Man again since we got married 3 weeks ago.

He he
> > > he.)

> Cauliflower. :-)
> Either steamed with cheese sauce, or pureed and used as faux mashed
> "potatoes".
>
> K.

Katra, I would LOVE to try a Cauliflower dish, but the man won't eat it
cooked, period. He won't touch it. He'll grind the whole thing down raw,
but won't come in the house if it's cooked. I love it cooked, but not raw!

kili

Katra

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> carbs.

> He he

> > Cauliflower. :-)
> > Either steamed with cheese sauce, or pureed and used as faux mashed
> > "potatoes".
> >
> > K.
> >

> Katra, I would LOVE to try a Cauliflower dish, but the man won't eat it
> cooked, period. He won't touch it. He'll grind the whole thing down raw,
> but won't come in the house if it's cooked. I love it cooked, but not raw!
>
> kili

Well, there are always creative things that can be done with other
veggies. :-) Water chestnuts and bamboo shoots come to mind. I've used
shredded bamboo shoots as a pasta substitute, and chopped them in the
food processor as a rice substitute, and _I_ like them, but dad was a
bit dubious about the faux rice. ;-) He'll eat the shredded ok as a
pasta substitute with a good marinara sauce...

I'm wondering how crushed and pureed water chestnuts would work, and how
high they are in carbs. I've not checked the can as I just use a few in
stir fry's.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> carbs.

> He he

> > Cauliflower. :-)
> > Either steamed with cheese sauce, or pureed and used as faux mashed
> > "potatoes".
> >
> > K.
> >

> Katra, I would LOVE to try a Cauliflower dish, but the man won't eat it
> cooked, period. He won't touch it. He'll grind the whole thing down raw,
> but won't come in the house if it's cooked. I love it cooked, but not raw!
>
> kili

Well, there are always creative things that can be done with other
veggies. :-) Water chestnuts and bamboo shoots come to mind. I've used
shredded bamboo shoots as a pasta substitute, and chopped them in the
food processor as a rice substitute, and _I_ like them, but dad was a
bit dubious about the faux rice. ;-) He'll eat the shredded ok as a
pasta substitute with a good marinara sauce...

I'm wondering how crushed and pureed water chestnuts would work, and how
high they are in carbs. I've not checked the can as I just use a few in
stir fry's.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> carbs.

> He he

> > Cauliflower. :-)
> > Either steamed with cheese sauce, or pureed and used as faux mashed
> > "potatoes".
> >
> > K.
> >

> Katra, I would LOVE to try a Cauliflower dish, but the man won't eat it
> cooked, period. He won't touch it. He'll grind the whole thing down raw,
> but won't come in the house if it's cooked. I love it cooked, but not raw!
>
> kili

Well, there are always creative things that can be done with other
veggies. :-) Water chestnuts and bamboo shoots come to mind. I've used
shredded bamboo shoots as a pasta substitute, and chopped them in the
food processor as a rice substitute, and _I_ like them, but dad was a
bit dubious about the faux rice. ;-) He'll eat the shredded ok as a
pasta substitute with a good marinara sauce...

I'm wondering how crushed and pureed water chestnuts would work, and how
high they are in carbs. I've not checked the can as I just use a few in
stir fry's.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Darkginger

"kilikini" > wrote

> Any ham-veggie ideas? No omelettes please! That's how we got rid of the
> LAST ham we cured & smoked.

Crustless quiche. I'm low carbing (Atkins not Adkins, never heard of the
latter! Have dropped 44lbs so far!), and I make them all the time. 6 eggs,
500ml cream, half an onion, chopped, 4-8 oz chopped ham. Mix all together,
pour into dish, bake in moderate oven for around 40 mins, or until the
middle stops wobbling. You can add spices if you like 'em, or some chopped
spinach, broccoli florets (pre cooked), peppers, mushrooms, whatever.

Hope that helps!

Jo

---

PENMART01

>"Darkginger" writes:
>
>"kilikini" wrote:
>
>> Any ham-veggie ideas? No omelettes please! That's how we got rid of the
>> LAST ham we cured & smoked.

>quiche.

Um, quiche is an omelet, a *** sorta omelet, but an omelet nevertheless.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Katra

In article >,
"Darkginger" > wrote:

> "kilikini" > wrote
>
> > Any ham-veggie ideas? No omelettes please! That's how we got rid of the
> > LAST ham we cured & smoked.

> Crustless quiche. I'm low carbing (Atkins not Adkins, never heard of the
> latter! Have dropped 44lbs so far!), and I make them all the time. 6 eggs,
> 500ml cream, half an onion, chopped, 4-8 oz chopped ham. Mix all together,
> pour into dish, bake in moderate oven for around 40 mins, or until the
> middle stops wobbling. You can add spices if you like 'em, or some chopped
> spinach, broccoli florets (pre cooked), peppers, mushrooms, whatever.
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> Jo

I think Crustless quiche is a fritatta??? :-)

Shrimp and avocado are wonderful as ingredients too.

K.

Low carb, practically no carb real fried chicken. ImStillMags General Cooking 33 03-07-2014 09:06 AM
Bean ideas? Eggplant ideas? serene General Cooking 2 01-04-2006 11:27 PM
low-carb gljiva Recipes 0 27-07-2005 01:10 PM
LOW CARB GOES MLM Per Ivar Hanssen Asian Cooking 0 27-03-2004 02:39 PM
Question concerning lower-carb ideas eriana Diabetic 9 03-02-2004 05:37 PM