Old 19-11-2015, 07:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I drank black coffee

Many of you here know I don't like coffee very much. I do drink an
occasional cup but add cream, sugar, and any other available chemicals
to make it palatable to me.

Last week we watched an episode of Uncommon Grounds, the show with Todd
Carmichael and his sourcing of coffee. (Travel Channel if you are
interested) He was in Panama and there is a processor of the beans that
sells some really high end stuff. He sold some coffee to a Japanese
buyer for $600 a pound. It was supposed to be really great.

After watching, I had to check to see if he is selling anything from the
particular estate and they have a couple. One is processed by 90 plus.
Although I don't drink it, my wife enjoys good coffee and I ordered a
half pound for her. Had to try it and wow, it really is good. It is
the only coffee I've ever been able to drink and enjoy on its own, no
additives.

Not cheap, but worth a try.
http://www.lacolombe.com/collections...ci-ninety-plus

Old 19-11-2015, 07:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
[...]

For the most part, I quit drinking it when I quit smoking. I tend to
associate the two. I may have had a cup or two since, if nothing else was
available. But I can't stand anything in my coffee. No flavors,
sweeteners, etc. Only black.

Old 19-11-2015, 07:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

I never understood the need to search endlessly for a cup of coffee that
could be tolerated without the additives. What is wrong with the additives?
I, too, try to make my coffee taste as little like coffee as possible, when
I have it at all.

Old 19-11-2015, 08:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2015 2:28 PM, taxed and spent wrote:

Not cheap, but worth a try.
http://www.lacolombe.com/collections...ci-ninety-plus

I never understood the need to search endlessly for a cup of coffee that
could be tolerated without the additives. What is wrong with the additives?
I, too, try to make my coffee taste as little like coffee as possible, when
I have it at all.

Having found one I can drink without them, I'll still be drinking tea.
This was a treat for my wife. With all the chemicals I'm still not
crazy about coffee, but once in a while it is OK.

What this coffee had was a real fruity taste, especially the peach. 99%
of other coffee, to me, is just coffee. I guess a real purist would
like it black.
Old 19-11-2015, 08:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 10:41:09 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/19/2015 2:28 PM, taxed and spent wrote:

Not cheap, but worth a try.
http://www.lacolombe.com/collections...ci-ninety-plus

I never understood the need to search endlessly for a cup of coffee that
could be tolerated without the additives. What is wrong with the additives?
I, too, try to make my coffee taste as little like coffee as possible, when
I have it at all.

Having found one I can drink without them, I'll still be drinking tea.
This was a treat for my wife. With all the chemicals I'm still not
crazy about coffee, but once in a while it is OK.

What this coffee had was a real fruity taste, especially the peach. 99%
of other coffee, to me, is just coffee. I guess a real purist would
like it black.

If you like the fruity notes in your coffee, don't use any creamer, which pretty much kills them dead.

Old 19-11-2015, 11:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-11-19 2:28 PM, taxed and spent wrote:

I never understood the need to search endlessly for a cup of coffee that
could be tolerated without the additives. What is wrong with the additives?
I, too, try to make my coffee taste as little like coffee as possible, when
I have it at all.

I have been drinking my coffee black for years. I gave up sugar in
coffee close to 40 years ago. I never was a big fan of sweet drinks.
When I was working and getting coffee at coffee shops I could not get
them to put little enough sugar. I was only putting about 1/4 teaspoon
in and counter staff had trouble dealing with that, so I just cut it out
completely. A few years later I eliminated the cream. I can drink
coffee with a little cream in it but not sugar.

My wife likes cream in her coffee. It has to be proper table cream, not
that half and half stuff, and not milk. If she can't have cream she
drinks it black.

Old 19-11-2015, 11:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-11-19 3:48 PM, dsi1 wrote:

What this coffee had was a real fruity taste, especially the peach.
99%

There seems a lot of confusion as to the number of children. Is it 3,
6 or 7. Well written and proofed by CBC,,,chuckle.

of other coffee, to me, is just coffee. I guess a real purist
would like it black.

If you like the fruity notes in your coffee, don't use any creamer,
which pretty much kills them dead.

I go over to the local corner bakery coffee shop every day and enjoy a
wonderful cup of coffee. They rotate the various fair trade coffees
that they carry. It is a small town so it is not that astounding that
they are the best in town, but they are the best I have had anywhere. I
have to wonder how much difference other people notice in their coffees
after they have been doctored with cream and sugar. I don't usually
bother checking to see which coffee they are offering each day, but I do
often go back to see if I was right. Their usual rotation involves
Ethiopian, Guatemalan, Columbian, and a couple different blends. I
wonder how many people who add cream and sugar or sweetener distinguish
the different flavours.
Old 20-11-2015, 12:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2015 1:34 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
On 2015-11-19 3:48 PM, dsi1 wrote:

[...]

Not adding cream and/or sugar brings about a new coffee taste experience
for sure. C&S does make for a smoother cup but it tends to mask the
differences in the beans. They are the great equalizers, but in this
case, it's not necessarily a good thing.
Old 20-11-2015, 02:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2015 7:47 PM, dsi1 wrote:

Not adding cream and/or sugar brings about a new coffee taste experience
for sure. C&S does make for a smoother cup but it tends to mask the
differences in the beans. They are the great equalizers, but in this
case, it's not necessarily a good thing.

If the coffee is really good you don't have to make it smoother. I've
tried a few here and there but I just don't care for it, even very good
coffee. I use good loose tea and enjoy it much more.

Iced coffee is really nasty to me.
Old 20-11-2015, 03:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 14:00:30 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

I like my coffee like I like my women.
https://www.google.com/search?q=i+li...w=1260&bih=608

Old 20-11-2015, 02:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 3:48:49 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
[...]

Au contraire. I've been drinking Peet's Cafe Domingo and
enjoy its cherry/berry notes. I use a goodly amount of
2% milk and those flavors still come through.

My husband uses fat-free Coffeemate and he can taste them,
too.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 20-11-2015, 04:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in news:[email protected]
email.me:

For the most part, I quit drinking it when I quit smoking.

I did the same thing. Back about '92 IIRC.

Old 20-11-2015, 04:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-11-20 11:17 AM, KenK wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in news:[email protected]
email.me:

For the most part, I quit drinking it when I quit smoking.

I did the same thing. Back about '92 IIRC.

Drinking coffee was so strongly associated with a cigarette that it
became a bit of a test for me to have a coffee without smoking.

Old 20-11-2015, 04:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-11-20, Dave Smith wrote:

Drinking coffee was so strongly associated with a cigarette that it
became a bit of a test for me to have a coffee without smoking.

Fer me, it was a glass 'o booze while holding cards in my hand.
Fortunately, I've given all that up. Now jes blk coffee.

nb
Old 20-11-2015, 05:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-11-20 11:17 AM, KenK wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in news:[email protected]
email.me:

For the most part, I quit drinking it when I quit smoking.

I did the same thing. Back about '92 IIRC.

Drinking coffee was so strongly associated with a cigarette that it
became a bit of a test for me to have a coffee without smoking.

It's a very appealing combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr2zI99bvso