Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I drank black coffee

Many of you here know I don't like coffee very much. I do drink an
occasional cup but add cream, sugar, and any other available chemicals
to make it palatable to me.

Last week we watched an episode of Uncommon Grounds, the show with Todd
Carmichael and his sourcing of coffee. (Travel Channel if you are
interested) He was in Panama and there is a processor of the beans that
sells some really high end stuff. He sold some coffee to a Japanese
buyer for $600 a pound. It was supposed to be really great.

After watching, I had to check to see if he is selling anything from the
particular estate and they have a couple. One is processed by 90 plus.
Although I don't drink it, my wife enjoys good coffee and I ordered a
half pound for her. Had to try it and wow, it really is good. It is
the only coffee I've ever been able to drink and enjoy on its own, no
additives.

Not cheap, but worth a try.
http://www.lacolombe.com/collections...ci-ninety-plus

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> Many of you here know I don't like coffee very much. I do drink an
> occasional cup but add cream, sugar, and any other available chemicals to
> make it palatable to me.
>
> Last week we watched an episode of Uncommon Grounds, the show with Todd
> Carmichael and his sourcing of coffee. (Travel Channel if you are
> interested) He was in Panama and there is a processor of the beans that
> sells some really high end stuff. He sold some coffee to a Japanese buyer
> for $600 a pound. It was supposed to be really great.
>
> After watching, I had to check to see if he is selling anything from the
> particular estate and they have a couple. One is processed by 90 plus.
> Although I don't drink it, my wife enjoys good coffee and I ordered a half
> pound for her. Had to try it and wow, it really is good. It is the only
> coffee I've ever been able to drink and enjoy on its own, no additives.
>
> Not cheap, but worth a try.
> http://www.lacolombe.com/collections...ci-ninety-plus

For the most part, I quit drinking it when I quit smoking. I tend to
associate the two. I may have had a cup or two since, if nothing else was
available. But I can't stand anything in my coffee. No flavors,
sweeteners, etc. Only black.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> Many of you here know I don't like coffee very much. I do drink an
> occasional cup but add cream, sugar, and any other available chemicals to
> make it palatable to me.
>
> Last week we watched an episode of Uncommon Grounds, the show with Todd
> Carmichael and his sourcing of coffee. (Travel Channel if you are
> interested) He was in Panama and there is a processor of the beans that
> sells some really high end stuff. He sold some coffee to a Japanese buyer
> for $600 a pound. It was supposed to be really great.
>
> After watching, I had to check to see if he is selling anything from the
> particular estate and they have a couple. One is processed by 90 plus.
> Although I don't drink it, my wife enjoys good coffee and I ordered a half
> pound for her. Had to try it and wow, it really is good. It is the only
> coffee I've ever been able to drink and enjoy on its own, no additives.
>
> Not cheap, but worth a try.
> http://www.lacolombe.com/collections...ci-ninety-plus

I never understood the need to search endlessly for a cup of coffee that
could be tolerated without the additives. What is wrong with the additives?
I, too, try to make my coffee taste as little like coffee as possible, when
I have it at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2015 2:28 PM, taxed and spent wrote:

>> Not cheap, but worth a try.
>> http://www.lacolombe.com/collections...ci-ninety-plus
>>

> I never understood the need to search endlessly for a cup of coffee that
> could be tolerated without the additives. What is wrong with the additives?
> I, too, try to make my coffee taste as little like coffee as possible, when
> I have it at all.

Having found one I can drink without them, I'll still be drinking tea.
This was a treat for my wife. With all the chemicals I'm still not
crazy about coffee, but once in a while it is OK.

What this coffee had was a real fruity taste, especially the peach. 99%
of other coffee, to me, is just coffee. I guess a real purist would
like it black.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 10:41:09 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 11/19/2015 2:28 PM, taxed and spent wrote:
>

> >> Not cheap, but worth a try.
> >> http://www.lacolombe.com/collections...ci-ninety-plus
> >>

> > I never understood the need to search endlessly for a cup of coffee that
> > could be tolerated without the additives. What is wrong with the additives?
> > I, too, try to make my coffee taste as little like coffee as possible, when
> > I have it at all.
> >

> Having found one I can drink without them, I'll still be drinking tea.
> This was a treat for my wife. With all the chemicals I'm still not
> crazy about coffee, but once in a while it is OK.
>
> What this coffee had was a real fruity taste, especially the peach. 99%
> of other coffee, to me, is just coffee. I guess a real purist would
> like it black.

If you like the fruity notes in your coffee, don't use any creamer, which pretty much kills them dead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-11-19 2:28 PM, taxed and spent wrote:

> I never understood the need to search endlessly for a cup of coffee that
> could be tolerated without the additives. What is wrong with the additives?
> I, too, try to make my coffee taste as little like coffee as possible, when
> I have it at all.

I have been drinking my coffee black for years. I gave up sugar in
coffee close to 40 years ago. I never was a big fan of sweet drinks.
When I was working and getting coffee at coffee shops I could not get
them to put little enough sugar. I was only putting about 1/4 teaspoon
in and counter staff had trouble dealing with that, so I just cut it out
completely. A few years later I eliminated the cream. I can drink
coffee with a little cream in it but not sugar.

My wife likes cream in her coffee. It has to be proper table cream, not
that half and half stuff, and not milk. If she can't have cream she
drinks it black.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-11-19 3:48 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> What this coffee had was a real fruity taste, especially the peach.
>> 99%

> There seems a lot of confusion as to the number of children. Is it 3,
> 6 or 7. Well written and proofed by CBC,,,chuckle.

>> of other coffee, to me, is just coffee. I guess a real purist
>> would like it black.

> If you like the fruity notes in your coffee, don't use any creamer,
> which pretty much kills them dead.

I go over to the local corner bakery coffee shop every day and enjoy a
wonderful cup of coffee. They rotate the various fair trade coffees
that they carry. It is a small town so it is not that astounding that
they are the best in town, but they are the best I have had anywhere. I
have to wonder how much difference other people notice in their coffees
after they have been doctored with cream and sugar. I don't usually
bother checking to see which coffee they are offering each day, but I do
often go back to see if I was right. Their usual rotation involves
Ethiopian, Guatemalan, Columbian, and a couple different blends. I
wonder how many people who add cream and sugar or sweetener distinguish
the different flavours.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2015 1:34 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-11-19 3:48 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>>> What this coffee had was a real fruity taste, especially the peach.
>>> 99%

>> There seems a lot of confusion as to the number of children. Is it 3,
>> 6 or 7. Well written and proofed by CBC,,,chuckle.

>>> of other coffee, to me, is just coffee. I guess a real purist
>>> would like it black.

>> If you like the fruity notes in your coffee, don't use any creamer,
>> which pretty much kills them dead.
>>

> I go over to the local corner bakery coffee shop every day and enjoy a
> wonderful cup of coffee. They rotate the various fair trade coffees
> that they carry. It is a small town so it is not that astounding that
> they are the best in town, but they are the best I have had anywhere. I
> have to wonder how much difference other people notice in their coffees
> after they have been doctored with cream and sugar. I don't usually
> bother checking to see which coffee they are offering each day, but I do
> often go back to see if I was right. Their usual rotation involves
> Ethiopian, Guatemalan, Columbian, and a couple different blends. I
> wonder how many people who add cream and sugar or sweetener distinguish
> the different flavours.

Not adding cream and/or sugar brings about a new coffee taste experience
for sure. C&S does make for a smoother cup but it tends to mask the
differences in the beans. They are the great equalizers, but in this
case, it's not necessarily a good thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2015 7:47 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> Not adding cream and/or sugar brings about a new coffee taste experience
> for sure. C&S does make for a smoother cup but it tends to mask the
> differences in the beans. They are the great equalizers, but in this
> case, it's not necessarily a good thing.

If the coffee is really good you don't have to make it smoother. I've
tried a few here and there but I just don't care for it, even very good
coffee. I use good loose tea and enjoy it much more.

Iced coffee is really nasty to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 14:00:30 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>Many of you here know I don't like coffee very much. I do drink an
>occasional cup but add cream, sugar, and any other available chemicals
>to make it palatable to me.
>
>Last week we watched an episode of Uncommon Grounds, the show with Todd
>Carmichael and his sourcing of coffee. (Travel Channel if you are
>interested) He was in Panama and there is a processor of the beans that
>sells some really high end stuff. He sold some coffee to a Japanese
>buyer for $600 a pound. It was supposed to be really great.
>
>After watching, I had to check to see if he is selling anything from the
>particular estate and they have a couple. One is processed by 90 plus.
> Although I don't drink it, my wife enjoys good coffee and I ordered a
>half pound for her. Had to try it and wow, it really is good. It is
>the only coffee I've ever been able to drink and enjoy on its own, no
>additives.
>
>Not cheap, but worth a try.
>http://www.lacolombe.com/collections...ci-ninety-plus

I like my coffee like I like my women.
https://www.google.com/search?q=i+li...w=1260&bih=608

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 3:48:49 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> > > I never understood the need to search endlessly for a cup of coffee that
> > > could be tolerated without the additives. What is wrong with the additives?
> > > I, too, try to make my coffee taste as little like coffee as possible, when
> > > I have it at all.
> > >

> > Having found one I can drink without them, I'll still be drinking tea.
> > This was a treat for my wife. With all the chemicals I'm still not
> > crazy about coffee, but once in a while it is OK.
> >
> > What this coffee had was a real fruity taste, especially the peach. 99%
> > of other coffee, to me, is just coffee. I guess a real purist would
> > like it black.

> If you like the fruity notes in your coffee, don't use any creamer, which pretty much kills them dead.

Au contraire. I've been drinking Peet's Cafe Domingo and
enjoy its cherry/berry notes. I use a goodly amount of
2% milk and those flavors still come through.

My husband uses fat-free Coffeemate and he can taste them,
too.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in news:n2l7np$2sh$1@dont-
email.me:

> For the most part, I quit drinking it when I quit smoking.

I did the same thing. Back about '92 IIRC.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-11-20 11:17 AM, KenK wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in news:n2l7np$2sh$1@dont-
> email.me:
>
>> For the most part, I quit drinking it when I quit smoking.

> I did the same thing. Back about '92 IIRC.

Drinking coffee was so strongly associated with a cigarette that it
became a bit of a test for me to have a coffee without smoking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-11-20, Dave Smith > wrote:

> Drinking coffee was so strongly associated with a cigarette that it
> became a bit of a test for me to have a coffee without smoking.

Fer me, it was a glass 'o booze while holding cards in my hand.
Fortunately, I've given all that up. Now jes blk coffee.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 6:27:28 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-11-20 11:17 AM, KenK wrote:
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote in news:n2l7np$2sh$1@dont-
> > email.me:
> >
> >> For the most part, I quit drinking it when I quit smoking.

> > I did the same thing. Back about '92 IIRC.
> >

> Drinking coffee was so strongly associated with a cigarette that it
> became a bit of a test for me to have a coffee without smoking.

It's a very appealing combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr2zI99bvso

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 21:33:33 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 11/19/2015 7:47 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> Not adding cream and/or sugar brings about a new coffee taste experience
>> for sure. C&S does make for a smoother cup but it tends to mask the
>> differences in the beans. They are the great equalizers, but in this
>> case, it's not necessarily a good thing.

>If the coffee is really good you don't have to make it smoother. I've
>tried a few here and there but I just don't care for it, even very good
>coffee. I use good loose tea and enjoy it much more.
>
>Iced coffee is really nasty to me.

Maybe you haven't had properly made iced coffee... I make it with
Bustello espresso, I have it black with no sweetener, it's very good.
You might want to try Manhatten Special, a real coffee lovers
beverage, I only like the original, probably because that's all there
was years ago when I first began drinking it... used to be sold in 7
ounce refillable glass deposit bottles:
https://www.manhattanspecial.com/
Stewart's Shops sells three different coffee ice creams, all
excellent:
http://www.stewartsshops.com/special...ors/ice-cream/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 06:10:21 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 3:48:49 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

>> > Having found one I can drink without them, I'll still be drinking tea.
>> > This was a treat for my wife. With all the chemicals I'm still not
>> > crazy about coffee, but once in a while it is OK.
>> >
>> > What this coffee had was a real fruity taste, especially the peach. 99%
>> > of other coffee, to me, is just coffee. I guess a real purist would
>> > like it black.

>> If you like the fruity notes in your coffee, don't use any creamer, which pretty much kills them dead.

>Au contraire. I've been drinking Peet's Cafe Domingo and
>enjoy its cherry/berry notes. I use a goodly amount of
>2% milk and those flavors still come through.
>
>My husband uses fat-free Coffeemate and he can taste them,
>too.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I don't want any fruity coffee... I want my coffee strong, dark, and
hot... perhaps with bare breasted Kaluha.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-11-20 12:57 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Maybe you haven't had properly made iced coffee... I make it with
> Bustello espresso, I have it black with no sweetener, it's very good.

It works for some people. My wife likes iced coffee. I do not. I was at
the corner bakery one day last year and the owner wanted me to try her
new iced coffee that she was going to put on her menu. I initially
declined the offer, telling her that I do not like iced coffee. She
urged me to give it a try because she thinks I am a good judge of things
like that. I tried it. It was better than most, but I can't see myself
every buying it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-11-20 12:57 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> Maybe you haven't had properly made iced coffee... I make it with
>> Bustello espresso, I have it black with no sweetener, it's very good.

> It works for some people. My wife likes iced coffee. I do not. I was at
> the corner bakery one day last year and the owner wanted me to try her
> new iced coffee that she was going to put on her menu. I initially
> declined the offer, telling her that I do not like iced coffee. She
> urged me to give it a try because she thinks I am a good judge of things
> like that. I tried it. It was better than most, but I can't see myself
> every buying it.

Although the US portrays itself as the land of equality, it unfairly
targets Muslim gunmen as terrorists, even as studies show that white
supremacist and radical anti-government groups pose the greatest
domestic terror threat in the country.

American media outlets have been reluctant to classify the Charleston,
South Carolina church massacre as terrorism, despite how clearly it fits
the definition of a terrorist act, defined as extreme violence intended
to murder civilians and to create fear based on political and
ideological beliefs.

Dylann Roof, 21, the white gunman who shot nine black people dead at the
Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston last month is
an avowed white supremacist who wanted to start a race war in the US.

Roof, however, has been described by mainstream media outlets and
authorities as mentally ill and filled with the hatred of blacks, not a
terrorist.

Similarly, Craig Stephen Hicks, a white gunman who killed three Muslim
American college students in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, in February
had also been steered away from terrorism, although governments and
leaders of several Muslim-majority countries deemed the shooting to be
terrorism.

Former Black Panther Party member and international defense lawyer John
Floyd says there is no real distinction between terrorism and hate
crimes, describing their differences as rhetorical.

Its a distinction without a real difference, Floyd told Press TVs
correspondent in Washington. A lot of the elements that if you were
trying to prove that it was a terrorist act, its there; if you want to
prove that its a hate crime, its there, he said.

According to a recent study published last month, white and right-wing
Americans present a far greater terror threat to the United States than
individuals linked to the al-Qaeda or ISIL extremist groups.

Most of the terror attacks carried out on US soil since the September
11, 2001 attacks have been committed by white supremacist and radical
anti-government groups, according to the New America Foundation, a
Washington-based think tank.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Splayass Faggot was: I drank black coffee

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> So says I, the SPLAYASS FAGGOT!

Although the US portrays itself as the land of equality, it unfairly
targets Muslim gunmen as terrorists, even as studies show that white
supremacist and radical anti-government groups pose the greatest
domestic terror threat in the country.

American media outlets have been reluctant to classify the Charleston,
South Carolina church massacre as terrorism, despite how clearly it fits
the definition of a terrorist act, defined as extreme violence intended
to murder civilians and to create fear based on political and
ideological beliefs.

Dylann Roof, 21, the white gunman who shot nine black people dead at the
Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston last month is
an avowed white supremacist who wanted to start a race war in the US.

Roof, however, has been described by mainstream media outlets and
authorities as mentally ill and filled with the hatred of blacks, not a
terrorist.

Similarly, Craig Stephen Hicks, a white gunman who killed three Muslim
American college students in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, in February
had also been steered away from terrorism, although governments and
leaders of several Muslim-majority countries deemed the shooting to be
terrorism.

Former Black Panther Party member and international defense lawyer John
Floyd says there is no real distinction between terrorism and hate
crimes, describing their differences as rhetorical.

Its a distinction without a real difference, Floyd told Press TVs
correspondent in Washington. A lot of the elements that if you were
trying to prove that it was a terrorist act, its there; if you want to
prove that its a hate crime, its there, he said.

According to a recent study published last month, white and right-wing
Americans present a far greater terror threat to the United States than
individuals linked to the al-Qaeda or ISIL extremist groups.

Most of the terror attacks carried out on US soil since the September
11, 2001 attacks have been committed by white supremacist and radical
anti-government groups, according to the New America Foundation, a
Washington-based think tank.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 1:00:33 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Many of you here know I don't like coffee very much. I do drink an
> occasional cup but add cream, sugar, and any other available chemicals
> to make it palatable to me.
>
> Last week we watched an episode of Uncommon Grounds, the show with Todd
> Carmichael and his sourcing of coffee. (Travel Channel if you are
> interested) He was in Panama and there is a processor of the beans that
> sells some really high end stuff. He sold some coffee to a Japanese
> buyer for $600 a pound. It was supposed to be really great.
>
> After watching, I had to check to see if he is selling anything from the
> particular estate and they have a couple. One is processed by 90 plus.
> Although I don't drink it, my wife enjoys good coffee and I ordered a
> half pound for her. Had to try it and wow, it really is good. It is
> the only coffee I've ever been able to drink and enjoy on its own, no
> additives.
>
> Not cheap, but worth a try.
> http://www.lacolombe.com/collections...ci-ninety-plus

Most of the 35 years I've been drinking coffee I took my coffee with cream and sugar. But a few years back I decided to try and shave a few Kcals from my dietary intake and and decided to start drinking coffee black. And now I drink hot strong black Sumatran!

I got almost a full pot for the AM! :-)

John Kuthe...