Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default But don't forget green rice!

To this I will always add roasted, diced green Hatch chiles.

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/a...reen_rice.aspx

1/2 cup tightly packed fresh cilantro sprigs (about 1/2 oz.)
1 cup tightly packed fresh stemmed spinach leaves (about 1-1/2 oz.)
1-1/4 cups homemade or low-salt chicken broth
1-1/4 cups milk
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 Tbs. olive oil
3 Tbs. unsalted butter
1-1/2 cups long-grain rice
1/4 cup finely minced onion
1 clove garlic, minced

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 11:19:34 -0700, Embudo > wrote:

>To this I will always add roasted, diced green Hatch chiles.
>
>http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/a...reen_rice.aspx
>
>1/2 cup tightly packed fresh cilantro sprigs (about 1/2 oz.)
>1 cup tightly packed fresh stemmed spinach leaves (about 1-1/2 oz.)
>1-1/4 cups homemade or low-salt chicken broth
>1-1/4 cups milk
>1 tsp. kosher salt
>1 Tbs. olive oil
>3 Tbs. unsalted butter
>1-1/2 cups long-grain rice
>1/4 cup finely minced onion
>1 clove garlic, minced

That's not even close to anything Mexican, not with all that milk and
Spinach leaves... maybe you meant Spanish leaves.

Just so happens I'm making REAL Mexican rice today...
First in a deep pan (braiser) brown three pounds pork chops, and set
aside. In the same pan saute a big diced onion, six large cloves
minced garlic, add diced green bell peppers and/or anchos, 2 cans
black beans, two generous (D) cups Canilla rice, a tbls Penzys Adobo,
3 packets Goya Sazon con culantro y achiote, 1 packet Goya chicken
bouilion, 1/4 tsp each black pepper n'msg, two bay leaves, and 3 1/2
cups water, place chops on top... bring to a boil then lower to a bare
simmer and cover, cook 15 minutes, turn off heat but do not lift lid
for a full twenty minutes, than remove chops, gently fluff rice with
fork... serve with chops. Works well with chicken too, or sausage, or
all three... a one pot meal. EArly this morning I browned th chops an
dplce then in teh fridge in a covered dish. Then I sauted the onion,
garlic, and peppers, added the rinsed and drained beans, and place in
fridge in the covered pot. While doing all that I meassure dout th
erice adn dry ingredients in a lage cup. Now for dinner all I need to
is put it all together on the stove, in under and hour we can eat like
mayan kings... if only I had some virgins to sacrifice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 11:19:34 -0700, Embudo > wrote:
>
>> To this I will always add roasted, diced green Hatch chiles.
>>
>> http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/a...reen_rice.aspx
>>
>> 1/2 cup tightly packed fresh cilantro sprigs (about 1/2 oz.)
>> 1 cup tightly packed fresh stemmed spinach leaves (about 1-1/2 oz.)
>> 1-1/4 cups homemade or low-salt chicken broth
>> 1-1/4 cups milk
>> 1 tsp. kosher salt
>> 1 Tbs. olive oil
>> 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
>> 1-1/2 cups long-grain rice
>> 1/4 cup finely minced onion
>> 1 clove garlic, minced

> That's not even close to anything Mexican, not with all that milk and
> Spinach leaves... maybe you meant Spanish leaves.

Nope, they meant what they printed.

Spinach is very typical in enchiladas suiza also.

> Just so happens I'm making REAL Mexican rice today...
> First in a deep pan (braiser) brown three pounds pork chops, and set
> aside. In the same pan saute a big diced onion, six large cloves
> minced garlic, add diced green bell peppers and/or anchos, 2 cans
> black beans, two generous (D) cups Canilla rice, a tbls Penzys Adobo,
> 3 packets Goya Sazon con culantro y achiote, 1 packet Goya chicken
> bouilion, 1/4 tsp each black pepper n'msg, two bay leaves, and 3 1/2
> cups water, place chops on top... bring to a boil then lower to a bare
> simmer and cover, cook 15 minutes, turn off heat but do not lift lid
> for a full twenty minutes, than remove chops, gently fluff rice with
> fork... serve with chops. Works well with chicken too, or sausage, or
> all three... a one pot meal. EArly this morning I browned th chops an
> dplce then in teh fridge in a covered dish. Then I sauted the onion,
> garlic, and peppers, added the rinsed and drained beans, and place in
> fridge in the covered pot. While doing all that I meassure dout th
> erice adn dry ingredients in a lage cup. Now for dinner all I need to
> is put it all together on the stove, in under and hour we can eat like
> mayan kings... if only I had some virgins to sacrifice.

I have to say that sounds OUTSTANDING!

Your own concoction? Impressive if so.

But good gravy, that'll be leftovers for a while in that amount.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 11:19:34 -0700, Embudo > wrote:
>
> > To this I will always add roasted, diced green Hatch chiles.
> >
> > http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/a...reen_rice.aspx
> >
> > 1/2 cup tightly packed fresh cilantro sprigs (about 1/2 oz.)
> > 1 cup tightly packed fresh stemmed spinach leaves (about 1-1/2 oz.)
> > 1-1/4 cups homemade or low-salt chicken broth
> > 1-1/4 cups milk
> > 1 tsp. kosher salt
> > 1 Tbs. olive oil
> > 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
> > 1-1/2 cups long-grain rice
> > 1/4 cup finely minced onion
> > 1 clove garlic, minced

> That's not even close to anything Mexican, not with all that milk and
> Spinach leaves... maybe you meant Spanish leaves.
>
> Just so happens I'm making REAL Mexican rice today...
> First in a deep pan (braiser) brown three pounds pork chops, and set
> aside. In the same pan saute a big diced onion, six large cloves
> minced garlic, add diced green bell peppers and/or anchos, 2 cans
> black beans, two generous (D) cups Canilla rice, a tbls Penzys Adobo,
> 3 packets Goya Sazon con culantro y achiote, 1 packet Goya chicken
> bouilion, 1/4 tsp each black pepper n'msg, two bay leaves, and 3 1/2
> cups water, place chops on top... bring to a boil then lower to a bare
> simmer and cover, cook 15 minutes, turn off heat but do not lift lid
> for a full twenty minutes, than remove chops, gently fluff rice with
> fork... serve with chops. Works well with chicken too, or sausage, or
> all three... a one pot meal. EArly this morning I browned th chops an
> dplce then in teh fridge in a covered dish. Then I sauted the onion,
> garlic, and peppers, added the rinsed and drained beans, and place in
> fridge in the covered pot. While doing all that I meassure dout th
> erice adn dry ingredients in a lage cup. Now for dinner all I need to
> is put it all together on the stove, in under and hour we can eat like
> mayan kings... if only I had some virgins to sacrifice.

Your's sounds good too Sheldon but remember, Mexican cuisine is as
diverse as American.

His may come from areas where Horchata was born.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 14:52:26 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> Just so happens I'm making REAL Mexican rice today...

> What you just described is certainly NOT Mexican rice either.

**** off and drop dead you insufferable woman-stalking dwarf.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 11:19:34 -0700, Embudo > wrote:
>>
>>> To this I will always add roasted, diced green Hatch chiles.
>>>
>>> http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/a...reen_rice.aspx
>>>
>>> 1/2 cup tightly packed fresh cilantro sprigs (about 1/2 oz.)
>>> 1 cup tightly packed fresh stemmed spinach leaves (about 1-1/2 oz.)
>>> 1-1/4 cups homemade or low-salt chicken broth
>>> 1-1/4 cups milk
>>> 1 tsp. kosher salt
>>> 1 Tbs. olive oil
>>> 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
>>> 1-1/2 cups long-grain rice
>>> 1/4 cup finely minced onion
>>> 1 clove garlic, minced

>> That's not even close to anything Mexican, not with all that milk and
>> Spinach leaves... maybe you meant Spanish leaves.
>>
>> Just so happens I'm making REAL Mexican rice today...
>> First in a deep pan (braiser) brown three pounds pork chops, and set
>> aside. In the same pan saute a big diced onion, six large cloves
>> minced garlic, add diced green bell peppers and/or anchos, 2 cans
>> black beans, two generous (D) cups Canilla rice, a tbls Penzys Adobo,
>> 3 packets Goya Sazon con culantro y achiote, 1 packet Goya chicken
>> bouilion, 1/4 tsp each black pepper n'msg, two bay leaves, and 3 1/2
>> cups water, place chops on top... bring to a boil then lower to a bare
>> simmer and cover, cook 15 minutes, turn off heat but do not lift lid
>> for a full twenty minutes, than remove chops, gently fluff rice with
>> fork... serve with chops. Works well with chicken too, or sausage, or
>> all three... a one pot meal. EArly this morning I browned th chops an
>> dplce then in teh fridge in a covered dish. Then I sauted the onion,
>> garlic, and peppers, added the rinsed and drained beans, and place in
>> fridge in the covered pot. While doing all that I meassure dout th
>> erice adn dry ingredients in a lage cup. Now for dinner all I need to
>> is put it all together on the stove, in under and hour we can eat like
>> mayan kings... if only I had some virgins to sacrifice.

> Your's sounds good too Sheldon but remember, Mexican cuisine is as
> diverse as American.
>
> His may come from areas where Horchata was born.
>
> Carol

+1

Mexico has a stunning diversity of cuisines.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Embudo wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> cshenk wrote:
> > Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > That's not even close to anything Mexican, not with all that milk
> > > and Spinach leaves... maybe you meant Spanish leaves.
> > >
> > > Just so happens I'm making REAL Mexican rice today...
> > > First in a deep pan (braiser) brown three pounds pork chops, and
> > > set aside. In the same pan saute a big diced onion, six large
> > > cloves minced garlic, add diced green bell peppers and/or anchos,
> > > 2 cans black beans, two generous (D) cups Canilla rice, a tbls
> > > Penzys Adobo, 3 packets Goya Sazon con culantro y achiote, 1
> > > packet Goya chicken bouilion, 1/4 tsp each black pepper n'msg,
> > > two bay leaves, and 3 1/2 cups water, place chops on top... bring
> > > to a boil then lower to a bare simmer and cover, cook 15 minutes,
> > > turn off heat but do not lift lid for a full twenty minutes, than
> > > remove chops, gently fluff rice with fork... serve with chops.
> > > Works well with chicken too, or sausage, or all three... a one
> > > pot meal. EArly this morning I browned th chops an dplce then in
> > > teh fridge in a covered dish. Then I sauted the onion, garlic,
> > > and peppers, added the rinsed and drained beans, and place in
> > > fridge in the covered pot. While doing all that I meassure dout
> > > th erice adn dry ingredients in a lage cup. Now for dinner all I
> > > need to is put it all together on the stove, in under and hour we
> > > can eat like mayan kings... if only I had some virgins to
> > > sacrifice.

> > Your's sounds good too Sheldon but remember, Mexican cuisine is as
> > diverse as American.
> >
> > His may come from areas where Horchata was born.
> >
> > Carol
> >

> +1
>
> Mexico has a stunning diversity of cuisines.

Horchata is one of those things. If you didn't know, you wouldn't tag
it as 'mexican' at all. You'd be thinking something more like Hawaii
or some health drink that tasted good for a change from California.

For the rest, once rice got to Mexico, the world there changed in
subtle but distinctive ways.

There are many ways to make horchata. Here is one.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/141828/lolas-horchata/

In the early days, I can imagine a cook setting this up with a mortar
and pestile then setting it to the side and making the corn for
whichever bread was regional (flat or not, thin or not) then other
fixings.

Many versions use milk but not all.

It's a little frustrating with folks who've never lived near Mexico,
think it's all about 'Taco Bell Burritos'.

Here's one you may know the name of? I do not. I can only describe it.

Mashed sweet potatoes mixed with something (rice flour or wheat flour?)
to make a sort of stiff dough with added cinnimon and maybe something
else? Then rolled out about 1/2 inch thick. Filled with sour cream and
rolled up with ends closed to little packages that were then fast high
heat fried so you had a crispy outside and a mouthwatering soft inside.
Major yum. I have managed to replicate them fairly well but I have no
clue what the Mexican name for them is.

My version uses:
2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 cup self rising flour
about 1 TS cinnimon
1 TS vanilla extract

Mix that to a stiff dough (add water if needed) then pat it out to
about 1/2 inch thick. Add a line of sour cream then cut and roll. FRy
in a cast iron skillet in hot oil.

Charlotte dubed them 'sweet potato thingamajicies'

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 15:17:28 -0700, Embudo > wrote:

>cshenk wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> That's not even close to anything Mexican, not with all that milk and
>>> Spinach leaves... maybe you meant Spanish leaves.
>>>
>>> Just so happens I'm making REAL Mexican rice today...
>>> First in a deep pan (braiser) brown three pounds pork chops, and set
>>> aside. In the same pan saute a big diced onion, six large cloves
>>> minced garlic, add diced green bell peppers and/or anchos, 2 cans
>>> black beans, two generous (D) cups Canilla rice, a tbls Penzys Adobo,
>>> 3 packets Goya Sazon con culantro y achiote, 1 packet Goya chicken
>>> bouilion, 1/4 tsp each black pepper n'msg, two bay leaves, and 3 1/2
>>> cups water, place chops on top... bring to a boil then lower to a bare
>>> simmer and cover, cook 15 minutes, turn off heat but do not lift lid
>>> for a full twenty minutes, than remove chops, gently fluff rice with
>>> fork... serve with chops. Works well with chicken too, or sausage, or
>>> all three... a one pot meal. EArly this morning I browned th chops an
>>> dplce then in teh fridge in a covered dish. Then I sauted the onion,
>>> garlic, and peppers, added the rinsed and drained beans, and place in
>>> fridge in the covered pot. While doing all that I meassure dout th
>>> erice adn dry ingredients in a lage cup. Now for dinner all I need to
>>> is put it all together on the stove, in under and hour we can eat like
>>> mayan kings... if only I had some virgins to sacrifice.

>> Your's sounds good too Sheldon but remember, Mexican cuisine is as
>> diverse as American.
>>
>> His may come from areas where Horchata was born.
>>
>> Carol
>>

>+1
>
>Mexico has a stunning diversity of cuisines.

Most Mexican cuisine is very much like US cuisine, then there's the
TexMex border crapola that the dwarf thinks is food, but in fact it's
garbage. I like real Mexican food but I'm partial to the cuisine of
the Yucatan. An excellent cookbook is "False Tongues and Sunday
Bread" a Guatamalan and Mayan Cookbook by Copeland Marks. Another is
"Foods of the Maya" by Nancy & Jeffery Gerlach. There are several
other cookbooks of the region that I refer to often. Plus I've spent
considerable time exploring the Yucatan and Central American countries
including the Caribbean so I have first hand knowledge of the local
foods, which are primarily seafood, tropical fruits and vegetables,
and they definitely don't eat spinach as it's a cool weather crop and
won't grow in the tropics, they cultivate other greens.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 15:17:28 -0700, Embudo > wrote:
>
> > cshenk wrote:

> oz.) >>>> 1-1/4 cups homemade or low-salt chicken broth

> and >>> Spinach leaves... maybe you meant Spanish leaves.

> set >>> aside. In the same pan saute a big diced onion, six large
> cloves >>> minced garlic, add diced green bell peppers and/or anchos,
> 2 cans >>> black beans, two generous (D) cups Canilla rice, a tbls
> Penzys Adobo, >>> 3 packets Goya Sazon con culantro y achiote, 1
> packet Goya chicken >>> bouilion, 1/4 tsp each black pepper n'msg,
> two bay leaves, and 3 1/2 >>> cups water, place chops on top... bring
> to a boil then lower to a bare >>> simmer and cover, cook 15 minutes,
> turn off heat but do not lift lid >>> for a full twenty minutes, than
> remove chops, gently fluff rice with >>> fork... serve with chops.
> Works well with chicken too, or sausage, or >>> all three... a one
> pot meal. EArly this morning I browned th chops an >>> dplce then in
> teh fridge in a covered dish. Then I sauted the onion, >>> garlic,
> and peppers, added the rinsed and drained beans, and place in >>>
> fridge in the covered pot. While doing all that I meassure dout th

> need to >>> is put it all together on the stove, in under and hour we
> can eat like >>> mayan kings... if only I had some virgins to
> sacrifice.
> > >
> >> Your's sounds good too Sheldon but remember, Mexican cuisine is as
> >> diverse as American.
> > >
> >> His may come from areas where Horchata was born.
> > >
> >> Carol
> > >

> > +1
> >
> > Mexico has a stunning diversity of cuisines.

> Most Mexican cuisine is very much like US cuisine,

No Sheldon, it isnt. The mix is all different.

> then there's the
> TexMex border crapola that the dwarf thinks is food, but in fact it's
> garbage. I like real Mexican food but I'm partial to the cuisine of
> the Yucatan. An excellent cookbook is "False Tongues and Sunday
> Bread" a Guatamalan and Mayan Cookbook by Copeland Marks. Another is
> "Foods of the Maya" by Nancy & Jeffery Gerlach. There are several
> other cookbooks of the region that I refer to often.

Nice google, not convinced.

> Plus I've spent
> considerable time exploring the Yucatan and Central American countries
> including the Caribbean so I have first hand knowledge of the local
> foods, which are primarily seafood, tropical fruits and vegetables,
> and they definitely don't eat spinach as it's a cool weather crop and
> won't grow in the tropics, they cultivate other greens.

Yeah, right. Like it only grows up north where you are. Might wanna
try a google there. And might add, just like us, they ship food about.
Meantime, Northern Mexico is WELL in spinach growing areas. Just
incase you missed it, roughly 1/3 of Mexico is parallel (or a little
north for some of it of) Florida.

Some of the versions grown in southerly areas look different but taste
like spinach.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> Embudo wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> cshenk wrote:

>>> Your's sounds good too Sheldon but remember, Mexican cuisine is as
>>> diverse as American.
>>>
>>> His may come from areas where Horchata was born.
>>>
>>> Carol
>>>

>> +1
>>
>> Mexico has a stunning diversity of cuisines.

> Horchata is one of those things. If you didn't know, you wouldn't tag
> it as 'mexican' at all. You'd be thinking something more like Hawaii
> or some health drink that tasted good for a change from California.
>
> For the rest, once rice got to Mexico, the world there changed in
> subtle but distinctive ways.
>
> There are many ways to make horchata. Here is one.
>
> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/141828/lolas-horchata/
>
> In the early days, I can imagine a cook setting this up with a mortar
> and pestile then setting it to the side and making the corn for
> whichever bread was regional (flat or not, thin or not) then other
> fixings.
>
> Many versions use milk but not all.
>
> It's a little frustrating with folks who've never lived near Mexico,
> think it's all about 'Taco Bell Burritos'.
>
> Here's one you may know the name of? I do not. I can only describe it.
>
> Mashed sweet potatoes mixed with something (rice flour or wheat flour?)
> to make a sort of stiff dough with added cinnimon and maybe something
> else? Then rolled out about 1/2 inch thick. Filled with sour cream and
> rolled up with ends closed to little packages that were then fast high
> heat fried so you had a crispy outside and a mouthwatering soft inside.
> Major yum. I have managed to replicate them fairly well but I have no
> clue what the Mexican name for them is.
>
> My version uses:
> 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
> 1/2 cup self rising flour
> about 1 TS cinnimon
> 1 TS vanilla extract
>
> Mix that to a stiff dough (add water if needed) then pat it out to
> about 1/2 inch thick. Add a line of sour cream then cut and roll. FRy
> in a cast iron skillet in hot oil.
>
> Charlotte dubed them 'sweet potato thingamajicies'
>
> Carol

Outstanding post - you know your cuisine!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 15:17:28 -0700, Embudo > wrote:
>
>> cshenk wrote:

>>> Your's sounds good too Sheldon but remember, Mexican cuisine is as
>>> diverse as American.
>>>
>>> His may come from areas where Horchata was born.
>>>
>>> Carol
>>>

>> +1
>>
>> Mexico has a stunning diversity of cuisines.

> Most Mexican cuisine is very much like US cuisine,

No it's not.

Good grief man!

> then there's the
> TexMex border crapola that the dwarf thinks is food, but in fact it's
> garbage.

It's as valid as any other form of border cuisine.

In Arizona it's Sonora style.

In New Mexico and West Texas it's Chihuahuan style.

Quite different, but both are outstanding.

You need to quit pretending to be an expert and then passing off a tasty
enough but distinctly NON-Mexican pork chop/rice melange as the real thing.

> I like real Mexican food but I'm partial to the cuisine of
> the Yucatan.

Well bully for you, but that's no reason to denigrate the other regional
cuisines.

> An excellent cookbook is "False Tongues and Sunday
> Bread" a Guatamalan and Mayan Cookbook by Copeland Marks. Another is
> "Foods of the Maya" by Nancy & Jeffery Gerlach. There are several
> other cookbooks of the region that I refer to often. Plus I've spent
> considerable time exploring the Yucatan and Central American countries
> including the Caribbean so I have first hand knowledge of the local
> foods, which are primarily seafood, tropical fruits and vegetables,
> and they definitely don't eat spinach as it's a cool weather crop and
> won't grow in the tropics, they cultivate other greens.

You really are going to insist I nail you on this, aren't you?

http://www.food.com/recipe/mexican-spinach-salad-234832

http://www.yummly.com/recipes/mexican-spinach?prm-v1=1

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/19069998398629371/

http://mexicancuisinerecipes.com/sop...i-soup-recipe/

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Spinach...-512256?prm-v1

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/me...style-50135209

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...-cheese-107413

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Embudo wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> cshenk wrote:

> > > +1
> > >
> > > Mexico has a stunning diversity of cuisines.

> > Horchata is one of those things. If you didn't know, you wouldn't
> > tag it as 'mexican' at all. You'd be thinking something more like
> > Hawaii or some health drink that tasted good for a change from
> > California.
> >
> > For the rest, once rice got to Mexico, the world there changed in
> > subtle but distinctive ways.
> >
> > There are many ways to make horchata. Here is one.
> >
> > http://allrecipes.com/recipe/141828/lolas-horchata/
> >
> > In the early days, I can imagine a cook setting this up with a
> > mortar and pestile then setting it to the side and making the corn
> > for whichever bread was regional (flat or not, thin or not) then
> > other fixings.
> >
> > Many versions use milk but not all.
> >
> > It's a little frustrating with folks who've never lived near Mexico,
> > think it's all about 'Taco Bell Burritos'.
> >
> > Here's one you may know the name of? I do not. I can only
> > describe it.
> >
> > Mashed sweet potatoes mixed with something (rice flour or wheat
> > flour?) to make a sort of stiff dough with added cinnimon and maybe
> > something else? Then rolled out about 1/2 inch thick. Filled with
> > sour cream and rolled up with ends closed to little packages that
> > were then fast high heat fried so you had a crispy outside and a
> > mouthwatering soft inside. Major yum. I have managed to replicate
> > them fairly well but I have no clue what the Mexican name for them
> > is.
> >
> > My version uses:
> > 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
> > 1/2 cup self rising flour
> > about 1 TS cinnimon
> > 1 TS vanilla extract
> >
> > Mix that to a stiff dough (add water if needed) then pat it out to
> > about 1/2 inch thick. Add a line of sour cream then cut and roll.
> > FRy in a cast iron skillet in hot oil.
> >
> > Charlotte dubed them 'sweet potato thingamajicies'
> >
> > Carol
> >

> Outstanding post - you know your cuisine!

Grin, some of us here actually do cook. I looked that over and 3 TB
water was generally added but it depended on how wet the sweet potatoes
were when I mashed them. Basically if you know what dough feels like,
mash the potatoes then add flour to make a dough, adding more water at
need. You can use the 2% sour cream but dont use the Fat Free ones.
They dont cook right and turn nasty.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> Embudo wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> cshenk wrote:

>>> Horchata is one of those things. If you didn't know, you wouldn't
>>> tag it as 'mexican' at all. You'd be thinking something more like
>>> Hawaii or some health drink that tasted good for a change from
>>> California.
>>>
>>> For the rest, once rice got to Mexico, the world there changed in
>>> subtle but distinctive ways.
>>>
>>> There are many ways to make horchata. Here is one.
>>>
>>> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/141828/lolas-horchata/
>>>
>>> In the early days, I can imagine a cook setting this up with a
>>> mortar and pestile then setting it to the side and making the corn
>>> for whichever bread was regional (flat or not, thin or not) then
>>> other fixings.
>>>
>>> Many versions use milk but not all.
>>>
>>> It's a little frustrating with folks who've never lived near Mexico,
>>> think it's all about 'Taco Bell Burritos'.
>>>
>>> Here's one you may know the name of? I do not. I can only
>>> describe it.
>>>
>>> Mashed sweet potatoes mixed with something (rice flour or wheat
>>> flour?) to make a sort of stiff dough with added cinnimon and maybe
>>> something else? Then rolled out about 1/2 inch thick. Filled with
>>> sour cream and rolled up with ends closed to little packages that
>>> were then fast high heat fried so you had a crispy outside and a
>>> mouthwatering soft inside. Major yum. I have managed to replicate
>>> them fairly well but I have no clue what the Mexican name for them
>>> is.
>>>
>>> My version uses:
>>> 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
>>> 1/2 cup self rising flour
>>> about 1 TS cinnimon
>>> 1 TS vanilla extract
>>>
>>> Mix that to a stiff dough (add water if needed) then pat it out to
>>> about 1/2 inch thick. Add a line of sour cream then cut and roll.
>>> FRy in a cast iron skillet in hot oil.
>>>
>>> Charlotte dubed them 'sweet potato thingamajicies'
>>>
>>> Carol
>>>

>> Outstanding post - you know your cuisine!

> Grin, some of us here actually do cook. I looked that over and 3 TB
> water was generally added but it depended on how wet the sweet potatoes
> were when I mashed them. Basically if you know what dough feels like,
> mash the potatoes then add flour to make a dough, adding more water at
> need. You can use the 2% sour cream but dont use the Fat Free ones.
> They dont cook right and turn nasty.
>
> Carol

Roger the fat free debacle, been there tried that.

And watch out for lowfat cheese as well if you're not a fan of plasticy
melted caps.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2015 5:52 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Embudo wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> cshenk wrote:

>>> Horchata is one of those things. If you didn't know, you wouldn't
>>> tag it as 'mexican' at all. You'd be thinking something more like
>>> Hawaii or some health drink that tasted good for a change from
>>> California.
>>>
>>> For the rest, once rice got to Mexico, the world there changed in
>>> subtle but distinctive ways.
>>>
>>> There are many ways to make horchata. Here is one.
>>>
>>> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/141828/lolas-horchata/
>>>
>>> In the early days, I can imagine a cook setting this up with a
>>> mortar and pestile then setting it to the side and making the corn
>>> for whichever bread was regional (flat or not, thin or not) then
>>> other fixings.
>>>
>>> Many versions use milk but not all.
>>>
>>> It's a little frustrating with folks who've never lived near Mexico,
>>> think it's all about 'Taco Bell Burritos'.
>>>
>>> Here's one you may know the name of? I do not. I can only
>>> describe it.
>>>
>>> Mashed sweet potatoes mixed with something (rice flour or wheat
>>> flour?) to make a sort of stiff dough with added cinnimon and maybe
>>> something else? Then rolled out about 1/2 inch thick. Filled with
>>> sour cream and rolled up with ends closed to little packages that
>>> were then fast high heat fried so you had a crispy outside and a
>>> mouthwatering soft inside. Major yum. I have managed to replicate
>>> them fairly well but I have no clue what the Mexican name for them
>>> is.
>>>
>>> My version uses:
>>> 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
>>> 1/2 cup self rising flour
>>> about 1 TS cinnimon
>>> 1 TS vanilla extract
>>>
>>> Mix that to a stiff dough (add water if needed) then pat it out to
>>> about 1/2 inch thick. Add a line of sour cream then cut and roll.
>>> FRy in a cast iron skillet in hot oil.
>>>
>>> Charlotte dubed them 'sweet potato thingamajicies'
>>>
>>> Carol
>>>

>> Outstanding post - you know your cuisine!

> Grin, some of us here actually do cook. I looked that over and 3 TB
> water was generally added but it depended on how wet the sweet potatoes
> were when I mashed them. Basically if you know what dough feels like,
> mash the potatoes then add flour to make a dough, adding more water at
> need. You can use the 2% sour cream but dont use the Fat Free ones.
> They dont cook right and turn nasty.
>
> Carol

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2015 7:55 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On 11/11/2015 5:52 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Embudo wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Barbara J Llorente 71 Cerritos Ave San Francisco, CA 94127.
Age 65 (Born 1950) (415) 239-7248. Background Check - Available. Record

ID: 47846596.

>>> Outstanding post - you know your cuisine!

>> Grin, some of us here actually do cook. I looked that over and 3 TB
>> water was generally added but it depended on how wet the sweet potatoes
>> were when I mashed them. Basically if you know what dough feels like,
>> mash the potatoes then add flour to make a dough, adding more water at
>> need. You can use the 2% sour cream but dont use the Fat Free ones.
>> They dont cook right and turn nasty.
>>
>> Carol

> ost
> >
> 3/18/2011 3:49 PM
> Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
> readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
> fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com
>

> Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.
>
> -sw
>

> I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
> There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

before I forget: eel fried rice Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 2 06-10-2010 08:45 PM
Green peas rice nandini.c Recipes 0 05-08-2009 08:44 AM
Green Rice Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 27-04-2005 03:19 AM
St. Patrick's Green Rice~~ Duckie ® Recipes 0 15-03-2005 11:44 PM
GREEN POBLANO RICE A1 WBarfieldsr Mexican Cooking 0 09-10-2003 10:59 PM