Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A simple basic, since we have a new cook here

In article >, cshenk1
@cox.net says...
> It depends on the week but in the long run, the main thing might be to
> select a store and learn it's sales well. They happen in regular
> cycles. If you hit a main thing your really *need* large lots of, get
> it then when it's on a big sale.

Our local smkt delivers regular flyers of special bargains in all
departments; the other smkts I use are on the mainland and their own
websites inform on lossleaders. All frequent-use dry and canned stores,
favourite wines, domestic stuff like soap, detergent, TP, toothpaste,
linens are bought in bulk/by the case when I see them at loss-
leader/sales bargain prices.

Janet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/11/2015 5:05 AM, Janet wrote:
> In article >, cshenk1
> @cox.net says...
>>
>> Janet wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> In article >,
>>> says...

>>> I like the taste of evaporated milk as a topping. I keep a can in
>>> the pantry (and some canned apricots to pour it on) for powercut
>>> food.
>>>
>>> My grandkids are very interested in food-play and imaginary
>>> recipes, which I indulge if I think they'll eat the result. Last week
>>> one of them claimed pirates eat "jellyfish pudding".
>>>
>>> I had a packet of raspberry jelly in the pantry; dissolved the cubes
>>> in boiled water, made up the volume with evap; when it was just about
>>> to set, whisked it to fill it with airy honeycomb bubbles. Set it in
>>> a shallow dish, chilled and turned it out. Jellyfish pudding;
>>> pirates love it.
>>>
>>> WARNING; Condensed milk (straight from the can, spread on hot
>>> toast) is highly addictive.
>>>
>>> Janet UK.

>> LOL! I can't imagine it on toast!

> A can of condensed milk (eaten with spoon, the whole can) has to be
> high on my mental list called The End is Nigh menu.

At uni, we used to keep the opened can outside on the window sill during
the winter. The crust that formed was another treat!
Graham

--
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play.
It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >, sf
> > wrote:
>
> > It's the same here. He got the milks mixed up. He'd know
> > evaporated from condensed if he'd ever made pumpkin pie using the
> > recipe on a Libby's can.

> Evaporated milk, unsweetened and liberally applied kicks warm peach
> pie to another level in a bowl. It's a poor man's peaches and cream
> and a favorite of mine.
>
> leo

OOH! PING! RECIPE!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2015 8:37 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >, sf
> > wrote:
>
>> It's the same here. He got the milks mixed up. He'd know evaporated
>> from condensed if he'd ever made pumpkin pie using the recipe on a
>> Libby's can.

> Evaporated milk, unsweetened and liberally applied kicks warm peach pie
> to another level in a bowl. It's a poor man's peaches and cream and a
> favorite of mine.
>
> leo

I have, on at least three prior occasions, written posts that delve into
the “alleged” lurid past of one of our former presidents, George Herbert
Walker Bush (GHWB), the current but ailing patriarch of the Bush Family
Dynasty – I refer to them as the Bush Family Crime Syndicate, certainly
not in terms of endearment – but rather more like the Mafia Godfather
who prepares his sons to take over the family business upon his death.
This particular post references an article by Stew Webb, a contributor
of Veterans Today.

In his life-time, George H. W. Bush (GHWB) has controlled every
clandestine (hidden from view) and secret organization/operation within
the arsenal of the United States government as either 1) Director of the
CIA, 2) Vice President to Ronald Reagan (who was an unwitting puppet to
the Bush controlled cabal – GHWB secretly gave Reagan poisons that
hastened his fall into Alzheimer’s Disease and evidence suggests he
helped plan Reagan’ attempted assassination by John Hinckley, whose
family were close friends of the Bush family – a coincidence?) and 3)
ultimately as President of the United States before Bill Clinton took
office.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2015 12:45 PM, Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> says...

>>> Really? Sounds like soggy toast with little flavor. :-o

>> She may have been talking about sweetened condensed milk; hence
>> her distinction between evaporated and condensed.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Condensed milk (here) is sweetened, and very thick.
> Evaporated milk is a thinner, pouring consistency and unsweetened.
>
> Janet UK

I have, on at least three prior occasions, written posts that delve into
the “alleged” lurid past of one of our former presidents, George Herbert
Walker Bush (GHWB), the current but ailing patriarch of the Bush Family
Dynasty – I refer to them as the Bush Family Crime Syndicate, certainly
not in terms of endearment – but rather more like the Mafia Godfather
who prepares his sons to take over the family business upon his death.
This particular post references an article by Stew Webb, a contributor
of Veterans Today.

In his life-time, George H. W. Bush (GHWB) has controlled every
clandestine (hidden from view) and secret organization/operation within
the arsenal of the United States government as either 1) Director of the
CIA, 2) Vice President to Ronald Reagan (who was an unwitting puppet to
the Bush controlled cabal – GHWB secretly gave Reagan poisons that
hastened his fall into Alzheimer’s Disease and evidence suggests he
helped plan Reagan’ attempted assassination by John Hinckley, whose
family were close friends of the Bush family – a coincidence?) and 3)
ultimately as President of the United States before Bill Clinton took
office.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2015 5:24 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Looked at the store this morning. They have them here. They are on
>>> the bottom shelf now like someone mentioned. They used to be more
>>> on the middle shelves.
>>>
>>> Anyway, 5oz cans of Carnation and Pet evaporated or condensed -
>>> $1.19
>>>
>>> Then they have the 12oz cans for a much better deal. Store brands
>>> for $1.00 and $1.25. Brand names for $1.59

>> 98 cents at Winco but didn't look at the brand.

> Just got 10 cans for $6. (5 oz each)

I have, on at least three prior occasions, written posts that delve into
the “alleged” lurid past of one of our former presidents, George Herbert
Walker Bush (GHWB), the current but ailing patriarch of the Bush Family
Dynasty – I refer to them as the Bush Family Crime Syndicate, certainly
not in terms of endearment – but rather more like the Mafia Godfather
who prepares his sons to take over the family business upon his death.
This particular post references an article by Stew Webb, a contributor
of Veterans Today.

In his life-time, George H. W. Bush (GHWB) has controlled every
clandestine (hidden from view) and secret organization/operation within
the arsenal of the United States government as either 1) Director of the
CIA, 2) Vice President to Ronald Reagan (who was an unwitting puppet to
the Bush controlled cabal – GHWB secretly gave Reagan poisons that
hastened his fall into Alzheimer’s Disease and evidence suggests he
helped plan Reagan’ attempted assassination by John Hinckley, whose
family were close friends of the Bush family – a coincidence?) and 3)
ultimately as President of the United States before Bill Clinton took
office.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2015 6:13 PM, cshenk wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> 12 oz nestle Carnation - 57cents
>>> Store brand 5oz, 10/6$
>>>
>>> Thats the sales that kicked over this Wed. Normally 88 and 47cents
>>> respectively (I made a typo earlier of 40 cents for the smaller
>>> can, it was 47cents).
>>>
>>> Where you shopping Gary? Thats the 3333 Virginia Beach BLVD HT
>>> prices.
>>>
>>> Not specific store, but Krogers, Lion King? What?

>> I looked at prices at Farm Fresh. Luckily, I wasn't buying just
>> looking. I see the HT prices in the weekly food ad. Much better
>> prices.

> It depends on the week but in the long run, the main thing might be to
> select a store and learn it's sales well. They happen in regular
> cycles. If you hit a main thing your really *need* large lots of, get
> it then when it's on a big sale.
>
> Don for example is Pepsi specific. By 2 get 3 free for 12 packs this
> week. Limit is 10 per day but happens every 8-10 weeks or so and you
> can go back every day for a week until you have whatever stock level
> you need.
>
> The big thing with HT, is you need to get the evic card then sign up
> for the emails. The email is a single one, and come only twice a week.
> You'd have found the BOGO 'Better For Bread' flour was .97 each (limit
> 2) today. Since I bake all our bread, thats a major one here. Quality
> bread machine flour of 10lbs for 1.96?
>
> Basically I just paid 120$ for 197$ worth of food *today*. I'm doing
> the big food runs for the local Mayflower run but advance of it, using
> the yahoo local freecycle to help more directly. 2 full Turkey dinners
> (complete with dessert pie makings), gravy, stuffing, and so forth have
> gone out today.
>
> Hope your day was as good feeling!
>
> Carol

I have, on at least three prior occasions, written posts that delve into
the “alleged” lurid past of one of our former presidents, George Herbert
Walker Bush (GHWB), the current but ailing patriarch of the Bush Family
Dynasty – I refer to them as the Bush Family Crime Syndicate, certainly
not in terms of endearment – but rather more like the Mafia Godfather
who prepares his sons to take over the family business upon his death.
This particular post references an article by Stew Webb, a contributor
of Veterans Today.

In his life-time, George H. W. Bush (GHWB) has controlled every
clandestine (hidden from view) and secret organization/operation within
the arsenal of the United States government as either 1) Director of the
CIA, 2) Vice President to Ronald Reagan (who was an unwitting puppet to
the Bush controlled cabal – GHWB secretly gave Reagan poisons that
hastened his fall into Alzheimer’s Disease and evidence suggests he
helped plan Reagan’ attempted assassination by John Hinckley, whose
family were close friends of the Bush family – a coincidence?) and 3)
ultimately as President of the United States before Bill Clinton took
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/13/2015 6:20 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Leonard Blaisdell wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> In article >, sf
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> It's the same here. He got the milks mixed up. He'd know
>>> evaporated from condensed if he'd ever made pumpkin pie using the
>>> recipe on a Libby's can.

>> Evaporated milk, unsweetened and liberally applied kicks warm peach
>> pie to another level in a bowl. It's a poor man's peaches and cream
>> and a favorite of mine.
>>
>> leo

> OOH! PING! RECIPE!

I have, on at least three prior occasions, written posts that delve into
the “alleged” lurid past of one of our former presidents, George Herbert
Walker Bush (GHWB), the current but ailing patriarch of the Bush Family
Dynasty – I refer to them as the Bush Family Crime Syndicate, certainly
not in terms of endearment – but rather more like the Mafia Godfather
who prepares his sons to take over the family business upon his death.
This particular post references an article by Stew Webb, a contributor
of Veterans Today.

In his life-time, George H. W. Bush (GHWB) has controlled every
clandestine (hidden from view) and secret organization/operation within
the arsenal of the United States government as either 1) Director of the
CIA, 2) Vice President to Ronald Reagan (who was an unwitting puppet to
the Bush controlled cabal – GHWB secretly gave Reagan poisons that
hastened his fall into Alzheimer’s Disease and evidence suggests he
helped plan Reagan’ attempted assassination by John Hinckley, whose
family were close friends of the Bush family – a coincidence?) and 3)
ultimately as President of the United States before Bill Clinton took
office.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food,alt.food.barbecue

On 11/13/2015 6:34 PM, el Chamizal wrote:
> On 11/13/2015 6:20 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Leonard Blaisdell wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> In article >, sf

>>> Evaporated milk, unsweetened and liberally applied kicks warm peach
>>> pie to another level in a bowl. It's a poor man's peaches and cream
>>> and a favorite of mine.
>>>
>>> leo

>> OOH! PING! RECIPE!
>>

> I have, on at least three prior occasions, written posts that delve into
> the “alleged” lurid past of one of our former presidents, George Herbert
> Walker Bush (GHWB), the current but ailing patriarch of the Bush Family
> Dynasty – I refer to them as the Bush Family Crime Syndicate, certainly
> not in terms of endearment – but rather more like the Mafia Godfather
> who prepares his sons to take over the family business upon his death.
> This particular post references an article by Stew Webb, a contributor
> of Veterans Today.
>
> In his life-time, George H. W. Bush (GHWB) has controlled every
> clandestine (hidden from view) and secret organization/operation within
> the arsenal of the United States government as either 1) Director of the
> CIA, 2) Vice President to Ronald Reagan (who was an unwitting puppet to
> the Bush controlled cabal – GHWB secretly gave Reagan poisons that
> hastened his fall into Alzheimer’s Disease and evidence suggests he
> helped plan Reagan’ attempted assassination by John Hinckley, whose
> family were close friends of the Bush family – a coincidence?) and 3)
> ultimately as President of the United States before Bill Clinton took
> office.

I have, on at least three prior occasions, written posts that delve into
the “alleged” lurid past of one of our former presidents, George Herbert
Walker Bush (GHWB), the current but ailing patriarch of the Bush Family
Dynasty – I refer to them as the Bush Family Crime Syndicate, certainly
not in terms of endearment – but rather more like the Mafia Godfather
who prepares his sons to take over the family business upon his death.
This particular post references an article by Stew Webb, a contributor
of Veterans Today.

In his life-time, George H. W. Bush (GHWB) has controlled every
clandestine (hidden from view) and secret organization/operation within
the arsenal of the United States government as either 1) Director of the
CIA, 2) Vice President to Ronald Reagan (who was an unwitting puppet to
the Bush controlled cabal – GHWB secretly gave Reagan poisons that
hastened his fall into Alzheimer’s Disease and evidence suggests he
helped plan Reagan’ attempted assassination by John Hinckley, whose
family were close friends of the Bush family – a coincidence?) and 3)
ultimately as President of the United States before Bill Clinton took
office.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, cshenk1
@cox.net says...

> Leonard Blaisdell wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > In article >, sf
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > It's the same here. He got the milks mixed up. He'd know
> > > evaporated from condensed if he'd ever made pumpkin pie using the
> > > recipe on a Libby's can.

> > Evaporated milk, unsweetened and liberally applied kicks warm peach
> > pie to another level in a bowl. It's a poor man's peaches and cream
> > and a favorite of mine.
> >
> > leo

> OOH! PING! RECIPE!

Use can opener to open can of evaporated milk. Pour over pie.

Janet UK