Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Super cheap food

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" > wrote in message
>>
>> > Jill doesn't seem to think "beyond the box." Ramen noodle soup can be
>> > eaten on it's own but doesn't have much nutrition plus lots of salt.
>> > It can be used as a soup base to make some nice soups though. Add in
>> > any available vegetables, use chicken stock rather than water. Once
>> > you enhance this stuff, the nutrition level can go way up and the
>> > sodium count will go down.
>> >
>> > Again, think of it as a soup starter, not a finished product.

>> Sort of like canned chicken broth? ;-)

> Save your money and skip the canned broth. Plain tap water is also a
> good soup starter, not a finished product. At least with Ramen, you
> get flavor and noodles for way less price.
>

> You can do the same thing by adding seasonings to chicken broth, as for
> Ramen what do you suppose is in the seasoning packet that you couldn't add
> to broth?

Exactly. Even the TV chefs use it. I will say that there is a great
variation between the brands when it comes to taste but that's the beauty of
it. Try different ones and find one that you like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> Have you tried Campbell's Kitchen Accomplice? It's a very concentrated
> liquid where a little goes a long way, and can be kept in the fridge for
> several months. It's a really good flavoring IMO and a tsp or so goes a long
> way.

Thank you, Cheri. I've never noticed it but I will look for it and try
some. I trust your opinion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Exactly. Even the TV chefs use it. I will say that there is a great
> variation between the brands when it comes to taste but that's the beauty of
> it. Try different ones and find one that you like.

What TV chefs? Food Network has very few these days.

Most or all canned or boxed broth/stock also includes veggies, salt
and other things. When I make broth or stock I use nothing but chicken
and water and it's tastier than any commercial brand that I've ever
tried. I haven't try all of them though...only about 4-5 brands. There
might be some tasty ones but none of them are pure chicken broth.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 12, 2015 at 9:24:41 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > Exactly. Even the TV chefs use it. I will say that there is a great
> > variation between the brands when it comes to taste but that's the beauty of
> > it. Try different ones and find one that you like.

> What TV chefs? Food Network has very few these days.
>
> Most or all canned or boxed broth/stock also includes veggies, salt
> and other things. When I make broth or stock I use nothing but chicken
> and water and it's tastier than any commercial brand that I've ever
> tried. I haven't try all of them though...only about 4-5 brands. There
> might be some tasty ones but none of them are pure chicken broth.

When I make broth or stock, I add carrots, celery, onion, salt,
pepper and sometimes garlic. Generally the aromatics are browned.
I feel it gives a rounder, more complex flavor.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, November 12, 2015 at 9:24:41 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>> >
>> > Exactly. Even the TV chefs use it. I will say that there is a great
>> > variation between the brands when it comes to taste but that's the
>> > beauty of
>> > it. Try different ones and find one that you like.

>> What TV chefs? Food Network has very few these days.
>>
>> Most or all canned or boxed broth/stock also includes veggies, salt
>> and other things. When I make broth or stock I use nothing but chicken
>> and water and it's tastier than any commercial brand that I've ever
>> tried. I haven't try all of them though...only about 4-5 brands. There
>> might be some tasty ones but none of them are pure chicken broth.

> When I make broth or stock, I add carrots, celery, onion, salt,
> pepper and sometimes garlic. Generally the aromatics are browned.
> I feel it gives a rounder, more complex flavor.

Pretty much the way I do it.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2015 02:25 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> Please translate ... "poblanos and serranos are still trying to make
> some small peppers"

Poblanos and Serranos are varieties of spicy chillie peppers. The
Poblanos are large, dark green and fairly mild but very flavorful. The
Serranos are much smaller, thin, light(er) green and can be very spicy.
Depends on growing conditions. Used mostly to add heat (piquancy).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Whirled Peas" > wrote in message
> On 11/12/2015 02:25 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> Please translate ... "poblanos and serranos are still trying to make
>> some small peppers"
>>

> Poblanos and Serranos are varieties of spicy chillie peppers. The Poblanos
> are large, dark green and fairly mild but very flavorful. The Serranos are
> much smaller, thin, light(er) green and can be very spicy. Depends on
> growing conditions. Used mostly to add heat (piquancy).

Ahh do you mean the growers are trying to make them smaller??

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

>>> What TV chefs? Food Network has very few these days.
>>>
>>> Most or all canned or boxed broth/stock also includes veggies, salt
>>> and other things. When I make broth or stock I use nothing but chicken
>>> and water and it's tastier than any commercial brand that I've ever
>>> tried. I haven't try all of them though...only about 4-5 brands. There
>>> might be some tasty ones but none of them are pure chicken broth.

>> When I make broth or stock, I add carrots, celery, onion, salt,
>> pepper and sometimes garlic. Generally the aromatics are browned.
>> I feel it gives a rounder, more complex flavor.

> Pretty much the way I do it.

I imagine most people that are making homemade stock do.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Cheri wrote:
>>
>> Have you tried Campbell's Kitchen Accomplice? It's a very concentrated
>> liquid where a little goes a long way, and can be kept in the fridge for
>> several months. It's a really good flavoring IMO and a tsp or so goes a
>> long
>> way.

> Thank you, Cheri. I've never noticed it but I will look for it and try
> some. I trust your opinion.

LOL, it helps my canned broth Gary.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> When I make broth or stock, I add carrots, celery, onion, salt,
>>> pepper and sometimes garlic. Generally the aromatics are browned.
>>> I feel it gives a rounder, more complex flavor.

>> Pretty much the way I do it.

> I imagine most people that are making homemade stock do.

We might never know)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> Pretty much the way I do it.

>> I imagine most people that are making homemade stock do.

> We might never know)
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2015 08:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Whirled Peas" > wrote in message
>> On 11/12/2015 02:25 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>

>>> Please translate ... "poblanos and serranos are still trying to make
>>> some small peppers"
>>>

>> Poblanos and Serranos are varieties of spicy chillie peppers. The
>> Poblanos are large, dark green and fairly mild but very flavorful. The
>> Serranos are much smaller, thin, light(er) green and can be very
>> spicy. Depends on growing conditions. Used mostly to add heat (piquancy).

> Ahh do you mean the growers are trying to make them smaller??

No, these are traditional varieties (cultivars) that have been grown for
generations. My point was that, even within the same growing field, some
chillies of the same variety are hotter than others. Probably due to
different micronutrients in different patches of soil, different
amounts of sunlight and different amounts of water applied at different
times. They seem to be very sensitive to those variations.

"...trying to make small peppers" just means that the plants are still
trying to produce, even at the end of the season. It's kinda like
finding those stunted small green tomatoes still on the vines after the
first plant-killing frost. The peppers will probably never mature.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-11-12, Whirled Peas > wrote:

> Probably due to different micronutrients in different patches of
> soil, different amounts of sunlight and different amounts of water
> applied at different times.

That may be the diff in organic peppers, but I suspect it's the
nitrogen fertilizers and pest/herb-icides that make the diff in
commercial ag products. Yesterday, I saw jalapenos as big as poblanos
peppers. I suspect the japs were as hot as pabs, too.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Whirled Peas" > wrote in message
> On 11/12/2015 08:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Poblanos and Serranos are varieties of spicy chillie peppers. The
>>> Poblanos are large, dark green and fairly mild but very flavorful. The
>>> Serranos are much smaller, thin, light(er) green and can be very
>>> spicy. Depends on growing conditions. Used mostly to add heat
>>> (piquancy).

>> Ahh do you mean the growers are trying to make them smaller??
>>

> No, these are traditional varieties (cultivars) that have been grown for
> generations. My point was that, even within the same growing field, some
> chillies of the same variety are hotter than others. Probably due to
> different micronutrients in different patches of soil, different amounts
> of sunlight and different amounts of water applied at different times.
> They seem to be very sensitive to those variations.
>
> "...trying to make small peppers" just means that the plants are still
> trying to produce, even at the end of the season. It's kinda like finding
> those stunted small green tomatoes still on the vines after the first
> plant-killing frost. The peppers will probably never mature.

Thank you

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> Pretty much the way I do it.

>> I imagine most people that are making homemade stock do.

> We might never know)

Or care. :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 12, 2015 at 12:45:14 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

> Thanks, but my question was ... how are they trying to make small peppers?"

Well, when a daddy pepper plant and a mommy pepper plant love each
other very much...

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, November 12, 2015 at 12:45:14 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Thanks, but my question was ... how are they trying to make small
>> peppers?"

> Well, when a daddy pepper plant and a mommy pepper plant love each
> other very much...
>
> Cindy Hamilton

rofl nice one)))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > Cheri wrote:
> >>
> >> Have you tried Campbell's Kitchen Accomplice? It's a very concentrated
> >> liquid where a little goes a long way, and can be kept in the fridge for
> >> several months. It's a really good flavoring IMO and a tsp or so goes a
> >> long
> >> way.

> > Thank you, Cheri. I've never noticed it but I will look for it and try
> > some. I trust your opinion.

> LOL, it helps my canned broth Gary.

Didn't see that yesterday but you're just gonna love this one. One
thing I did see on sale is 32oz boxes of "Kitchen Basics, unsalted
Chicken Stock" for $1.50 and.....I bought one! hahaha And after all
that ranting.

It's one I've never tried so I'll give it a go. At least 1st
ingredient is chicken stock. It's still alot of vegetable stock too
which I don't do. But hey...

I'm also making my own chicken stock today. I'll compare the two
tomorrow, then combine them both and freeze them for future use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Cheri wrote:

> > concentrated >> liquid where a little goes a long way, and can be
> > kept in the fridge for >> several months. It's a really good
> > flavoring IMO and a tsp or so goes a >> long
> > >
> > > Thank you, Cheri. I've never noticed it but I will look for it
> > > and try some. I trust your opinion.

> > LOL, it helps my canned broth Gary.

> Didn't see that yesterday but you're just gonna love this one. One
> thing I did see on sale is 32oz boxes of "Kitchen Basics, unsalted
> Chicken Stock" for $1.50 and.....I bought one! hahaha And after all
> that ranting.
>
> It's one I've never tried so I'll give it a go. At least 1st
> ingredient is chicken stock. It's still alot of vegetable stock too
> which I don't do. But hey...
>
> I'm also making my own chicken stock today. I'll compare the two
> tomorrow, then combine them both and freeze them for future use.

LOL, I think I saw that ad at Food Lion?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Cheri wrote:

>> > Thank you, Cheri. I've never noticed it but I will look for it and try
>> > some. I trust your opinion.

>> LOL, it helps my canned broth Gary.

> Didn't see that yesterday but you're just gonna love this one. One
> thing I did see on sale is 32oz boxes of "Kitchen Basics, unsalted
> Chicken Stock" for $1.50 and.....I bought one! hahaha And after all
> that ranting.
>
> It's one I've never tried so I'll give it a go. At least 1st
> ingredient is chicken stock. It's still alot of vegetable stock too
> which I don't do. But hey...
>
> I'm also making my own chicken stock today. I'll compare the two
> tomorrow, then combine them both and freeze them for future use.

LOL Gary, I was going to ping you with a recipe for homemade chicken stock
from Lidia Bastianich. Seriously, I don't think anyone would argue that
canned is better than homemade, but...if I don't have stock in the freezer
and want to use chicken stock in something that I'm making quickly, I will
use canned and like it just fine.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In central america pepper plants are perennials, so are sweet taters.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> Cheri wrote:

>>> LOL, it helps my canned broth Gary.

>> Didn't see that yesterday but you're just gonna love this one. One
>> thing I did see on sale is 32oz boxes of "Kitchen Basics, unsalted
>> Chicken Stock" for $1.50 and.....I bought one! hahaha And after all
>> that ranting.
>>
>> It's one I've never tried so I'll give it a go. At least 1st
>> ingredient is chicken stock. It's still alot of vegetable stock too
>> which I don't do. But hey...
>>
>> I'm also making my own chicken stock today. I'll compare the two
>> tomorrow, then combine them both and freeze them for future use.

> LOL Gary, I was going to ping you with a recipe for homemade chicken stock
> from Lidia Bastianich. Seriously, I don't think anyone would argue that
> canned is better than homemade, but...if I don't have stock in the freezer
> and want to use chicken stock in something that I'm making quickly, I will
> use canned and like it just fine.

I probably would if only because of the way I've seen it described here.
Does not sound good to me at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 19:59:18 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> Didn't see that yesterday but you're just gonna love this one. One
>>> thing I did see on sale is 32oz boxes of "Kitchen Basics, unsalted
>>> Chicken Stock" for $1.50 and.....I bought one! hahaha And after all
>>> that ranting.
>>>
>>> It's one I've never tried so I'll give it a go. At least 1st
>>> ingredient is chicken stock. It's still alot of vegetable stock too
>>> which I don't do. But hey...
>>>
>>> I'm also making my own chicken stock today. I'll compare the two
>>> tomorrow, then combine them both and freeze them for future use.

>> LOL Gary, I was going to ping you with a recipe for homemade chicken stock
>> from Lidia Bastianich. Seriously, I don't think anyone would argue that
>> canned is better than homemade, but...if I don't have stock in the freezer
>> and want to use chicken stock in something that I'm making quickly, I will
>> use canned and like it just fine.

>I probably would if only because of the way I've seen it described here.
>Does not sound good to me at all.

You should be using your namesake:
http://www.amazon.com/Bovril-Liquid-...eywords=bovril
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> LOL Gary, I was going to ping you with a recipe for homemade chicken stock
> from Lidia Bastianich.

Please go ahead and send the recipe. I'm always open to new ideas.
What I've been doing for many years is the suggestions from Joseph
Littleshoes from many years ago in another cooking ng.

> Seriously, I don't think anyone would argue that
> canned is better than homemade, but...if I don't have stock in the freezer
> and want to use chicken stock in something that I'm making quickly, I will
> use canned and like it just fine.

I quit after tasting it plain years ago but my rant was actually not
what it evidently appeared to be. I certainly don't care what others
use. My rant was directed at a very few here that often say, "Why
would you use that commercial crap when it's so easy to make your
own?" Then they proceed to cut you down for using it.

They were my targets. And I got a few of them to defend the canned
broth. I've got ammunition now for the next time they cut down someone
using commercial premade ingredients. Sadly, there's always some
collateral damage when you do a troll like this and offend some
innocents.