Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Beef skirt

I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England last
week I spotted some and bought it.

Please would you tell me what you do with it? Atm I have it in the sous
vide thingy as I read that is shouldn't be overcooked or it toughens. I
figured it ought to remain tender in there. Comments welcome.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 14:18:09 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England last
>week I spotted some and bought it.
>
>Please would you tell me what you do with it? Atm I have it in the sous
>vide thingy as I read that is shouldn't be overcooked or it toughens. I
>figured it ought to remain tender in there. Comments welcome.

It's what I always bought (along with the Cornish and Devonians) for
making Cornish Pasties. Have never found an equivalent here. I would
whip it out of the SV and make pasties.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 14:18:09 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>>I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England last
>>week I spotted some and bought it.
>>
>>Please would you tell me what you do with it? Atm I have it in the sous
>>vide thingy as I read that is shouldn't be overcooked or it toughens. I
>>figured it ought to remain tender in there. Comments welcome.

> It's what I always bought (along with the Cornish and Devonians) for
> making Cornish Pasties. Have never found an equivalent here. I would
> whip it out of the SV and make pasties.

Well I would have done that but I am low carbing atm! thanks

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England last
>week I spotted some and bought it.
>
>Please would you tell me what you do with it? Atm I have it in the sous
>vide thingy as I read that is shouldn't be overcooked or it toughens. I
>figured it ought to remain tender in there. Comments welcome.

Excellent marinated or not, then grilled/broiled hot and fast to no
more than medium rare... slice thin across the grain.... cooking slow
or braising in liquid ruins it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 14:18:09 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>>I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England last
>>week I spotted some and bought it.
>>
>>Please would you tell me what you do with it? Atm I have it in the sous
>>vide thingy as I read that is shouldn't be overcooked or it toughens. I
>>figured it ought to remain tender in there. Comments welcome.

> Excellent marinated or not, then grilled/broiled hot and fast to no
> more than medium rare... slice thin across the grain.... cooking slow
> or braising in liquid ruins it.

Hmm thanks. A bit late now. I suppose I could grind it?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England last
>week I spotted some and bought it.
>
>Please would you tell me what you do with it? Atm I have it in the sous
>vide thingy as I read that is shouldn't be overcooked or it toughens. I
>figured it ought to remain tender in there. Comments welcome.

Cook the heck out of it, to tenderize it! Skirt steak is among the
toughest and most flavorful of beef cuts. Similar to a beef brisket.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 15:03:10 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 14:18:09 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England last
>>>week I spotted some and bought it.
>>>
>>>Please would you tell me what you do with it? Atm I have it in the sous
>>>vide thingy as I read that is shouldn't be overcooked or it toughens. I
>>>figured it ought to remain tender in there. Comments welcome.

>> Excellent marinated or not, then grilled/broiled hot and fast to no
>> more than medium rare... slice thin across the grain.... cooking slow
>> or braising in liquid ruins it.

>Hmm thanks. A bit late now. I suppose I could grind it?

Make a spicey force meat and stuff wonton skins.
http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/glo.../Forcemeat.htm
Try again:
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/0...ifferent-ways/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 15:03:10 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Excellent marinated or not, then grilled/broiled hot and fast to no
>>> more than medium rare... slice thin across the grain.... cooking slow
>>> or braising in liquid ruins it.

>>Hmm thanks. A bit late now. I suppose I could grind it?

> Make a spicey force meat and stuff wonton skins.
> http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/glo.../Forcemeat.htm
> Try again:
> http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/0...ifferent-ways/

Thanks! Some good ideas there!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 14:18:09 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>>I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England last
>>week I spotted some and bought it.
>>
>>Please would you tell me what you do with it? Atm I have it in the sous
>>vide thingy as I read that is shouldn't be overcooked or it toughens. I
>>figured it ought to remain tender in there. Comments welcome.

> Cook the heck out of it, to tenderize it! Skirt steak is among the
> toughest and most flavorful of beef cuts. Similar to a beef brisket.

Yet that is not what the US recipes say. Well, it is cooking right now,
very slowly, so will see what it is like the day after tomorrow when it
comes out.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/11/2015 7:18 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England
> last week I spotted some and bought it.
>
> Please would you tell me what you do with it? Atm I have it in the
> sous vide thingy as I read that is shouldn't be overcooked or it
> toughens. I figured it ought to remain tender in there. Comments
> welcome.

ISTR that Mum would send me to the butcher to buy skirt and kidney and
I'm certain she stewed it.
Chinese restaurants here use it for a dish called "Ginger beef". It is
cut across the grain in very thin strips for this.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/11/2015 9:24 AM, l not -l wrote:
> On 5-Nov-2015, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England last
>> week I spotted some and bought it.
>>
>> Please would you tell me what you do with it? Atm I have it in the sous
>> vide thingy as I read that is shouldn't be overcooked or it toughens. I
>> figured it ought to remain tender in there. Comments welcome.

> IMO, it is flank steaks better option, and at lease here (suburb of St Louis
> MO USA) it is usually less expensive than flank. I would use it for
> anything where flank steak works.

Isn't flank the +/- same as skirt?
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 05/11/2015 7:18 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England
>> last week I spotted some and bought it.
>>
>> Please would you tell me what you do with it? Atm I have it in the
>> sous vide thingy as I read that is shouldn't be overcooked or it
>> toughens. I figured it ought to remain tender in there. Comments
>> welcome.
>>

> ISTR that Mum would send me to the butcher to buy skirt and kidney and I'm
> certain she stewed it.
> Chinese restaurants here use it for a dish called "Ginger beef". It is cut
> across the grain in very thin strips for this.

Thanks If she stewed it then it should be ok in the sous vide It'll be
in there for a couple of days, so if it isn't tender by then I shall look at
making the one I still have in the freezer differently.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 8:18:24 AM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
> I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England last
> week I spotted some and bought it.
>
> Please would you tell me what you do with it? Atm I have it in the sous
> vide thingy as I read that is shouldn't be overcooked or it toughens. I
> figured it ought to remain tender in there. Comments welcome.
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 8:18:24 AM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
> I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England last
> week I spotted some and bought it.
>
> Please would you tell me what you do with it? Atm I have it in the sous
> vide thingy as I read that is shouldn't be overcooked or it toughens. I
> figured it ought to remain tender in there. Comments welcome.
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Long ago, when Fajitas were becoming popular, skirt steak was very cheap. You would cook it outside on your guill, then slice it ,thinly, since those days, it has become more expensive, and fajitas are made mostly with round steak.
It is flavorful but tough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 5-Nov-2015, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England last
>> week I spotted some and bought it.
>>
>> Please would you tell me what you do with it? Atm I have it in the sous
>> vide thingy as I read that is shouldn't be overcooked or it toughens. I
>> figured it ought to remain tender in there. Comments welcome.

> IMO, it is flank steaks better option, and at lease here (suburb of St
> Louis
> MO USA) it is usually less expensive than flank. I would use it for
> anything where flank steak works.

Thanks I will look at that for the other piece.

> It makes wonderful beef fajitas - marinated and grilled or broiled, then
> sliced across the grain. Served with bell pepper (I prefer yellow and red
> vs. green) and onion strips, with a few garlic slivers, that have been
> cooked on high heat in a cast iron pan to get a little soft and have a
> little char. Accompanied by tortillas, flour or corn, salsa and sour
> cream.
>
> Oh man! Now I know what I'm having for dinner - I have to go dig a skirt
> steak out of the freezer.

Enjoy) btw I've never had a fajita in my life ... <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"rosie" > wrote in message

> Long ago, when Fajitas were becoming popular, skirt steak was very cheap.
> You would cook it outside on your guill, then slice it ,thinly, since
> those days, it has become more expensive, and fajitas are made mostly
> with round steak.
> It is flavorful but tough.

Thank you, yes, I realised it would be tough which is why I stuck it in the
sous vide thingy. I thought it would have the best chance to tenderise in
there.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 4:18:24 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England last
> week I spotted some and bought it.
>
> Please would you tell me what you do with it? Atm I have it in the sous
> vide thingy as I read that is shouldn't be overcooked or it toughens. I
> figured it ought to remain tender in there. Comments welcome.
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

The guy next door uses the stuff to make the best teriyaki steak on the island. He makes a plate with ahi cakes. Perhaps I can have it for lunch today. That would be just great.

http://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bpho...025uadYA/o.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "l not -l" > wrote in message
>>
>> On 5-Nov-2015, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>>
>>> I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England last
>>> week I spotted some and bought it.
>>>
>>> Please would you tell me what you do with it? Atm I have it in the sous
>>> vide thingy as I read that is shouldn't be overcooked or it toughens. I
>>> figured it ought to remain tender in there. Comments welcome.

>> IMO, it is flank steaks better option, and at lease here (suburb of St
>> Louis
>> MO USA) it is usually less expensive than flank. I would use it for
>> anything where flank steak works.

> Thanks I will look at that for the other piece.
>
>> It makes wonderful beef fajitas - marinated and grilled or broiled, then
>> sliced across the grain. Served with bell pepper (I prefer yellow and red
>> vs. green) and onion strips, with a few garlic slivers, that have been
>> cooked on high heat in a cast iron pan to get a little soft and have a
>> little char. Accompanied by tortillas, flour or corn, salsa and sour
>> cream.
>>
>> Oh man! Now I know what I'm having for dinner - I have to go dig a skirt
>> steak out of the freezer.

> Enjoy) btw I've never had a fajita in my life ... <g>

I'd rather eat a pasty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 4:18:24 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England last
>> week I spotted some and bought it.
>>
>> Please would you tell me what you do with it? Atm I have it in the sous
>> vide thingy as I read that is shouldn't be overcooked or it toughens. I
>> figured it ought to remain tender in there. Comments welcome.
>>

> The guy next door uses the stuff to make the best on the island. He makes
> a plate with ahi cakes. Perhaps I can have it for lunch today. That would
> be just great.
>
> http://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bpho...025uadYA/o.jpg

Good luck I hope you managed to get some)

I found this on the net which is very interesting and a recipe too)

http://norecipes.com/recipe/beef-teriyaki-recipe/

What do you think of that recipe?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:

>>> IMO, it is flank steaks better option, and at lease here (suburb of St
>>> Louis
>>> MO USA) it is usually less expensive than flank. I would use it for
>>> anything where flank steak works.

>> Thanks I will look at that for the other piece.
>>
>>> It makes wonderful beef fajitas - marinated and grilled or broiled, then
>>> sliced across the grain. Served with bell pepper (I prefer yellow and
>>> red
>>> vs. green) and onion strips, with a few garlic slivers, that have been
>>> cooked on high heat in a cast iron pan to get a little soft and have a
>>> little char. Accompanied by tortillas, flour or corn, salsa and sour
>>> cream.
>>>
>>> Oh man! Now I know what I'm having for dinner - I have to go dig a
>>> skirt
>>> steak out of the freezer.

>> Enjoy) btw I've never had a fajita in my life ... <g>

> I'd rather eat a pasty

Ahh Please tell why?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
> On 05/11/2015 9:24 AM, l not -l wrote:
>> On 5-Nov-2015, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>>
>>> I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England
>>> last
>>> week I spotted some and bought it.
>>>
>>> Please would you tell me what you do with it? Atm I have it in the
>>> sous
>>> vide thingy as I read that is shouldn't be overcooked or it
>>> toughens. I
>>> figured it ought to remain tender in there. Comments welcome.

>> IMO, it is flank steaks better option, and at lease here (suburb of St
>> Louis
>> MO USA) it is usually less expensive than flank. I would use it for
>> anything where flank steak works.
>>

> Isn't flank the +/- same as skirt?
> Graham

No, not so much:

http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefB&F.html

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-d...-basics-212263

Flank Steak
Where it's from: Flank steak is from the bottom abdominal area of the
cow, so it contains a lot of hard-working muscles. The meat has a lot of
tough fibers running through it and is fairly lean. It's a thicker,
wider cut of meat than skirt steak.
Flavor and textu Flank steak has tons of intense beefy flavor but can
be a little tough. Eat it thinly sliced and cut against the grain for
maximum tenderness.
Cooking flank steak: Flanks steaks take to marinades very well, and some
marinades can help to tenderize the meat. High heat and quick cooking is
the best way to cook flank steak. It can be stuffed, grilled, or seared.

Skirt Steak
Where it's from: Skirt steak is a thin, long cut of beef from the
diaphragm muscles of the cow. It is also lean and contains a lot of
tough fibers.
Flavor and textu Skirt steak has even more intense beefy flavor than
flank steak. It does contain more tough muscles than flank steak,
though, so should only be cooked to rare or medium rare for the most
tender texture. It should also be cut against the grain when served.
Cooking skirt steak: Skirt steaks take to marinades even better than
flank steaks and are best cooked quickly over high heat, although it can
also be slow-cooked and braised. Skirt steak is best seared or grilled
and makes a great stir-fry meat. It is the classic cut used in fajitas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

rosie wrote:
> fajitas are made mostly with round steak.

That's ABSURD!

Where do you live, New Jersey?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 4:18:24 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England last
>> week I spotted some and bought it.
>>
>> Please would you tell me what you do with it? Atm I have it in the sous
>> vide thingy as I read that is shouldn't be overcooked or it toughens. I
>> figured it ought to remain tender in there. Comments welcome.
>>

>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> The guy next door uses the stuff to make the best teriyaki steak on the island. He makes a plate with ahi cakes. Perhaps I can have it for lunch today. That would be just great.
>
> http://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bpho...025uadYA/o.jpg

Nice looking plate lunch!

The brown rice is a surprise and is that a crab cake under the remoulade
sauce?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England last
>week I spotted some and bought it.
>
>Please would you tell me what you do with it?

Best is slow cooking, because it is TOUGH.

It IS what fajitas were originally made of.

It is the diaphragm of a cow, so gets used a LOT.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 8:00:02 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" <> wrote in message
> > On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 4:18:24 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >> I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England last
> >> week I spotted some and bought it.
> >>
> >> Please would you tell me what you do with it? Atm I have it in the sous
> >> vide thingy as I read that is shouldn't be overcooked or it toughens. I
> >> figured it ought to remain tender in there. Comments welcome.
> >>

> > The guy next door uses the stuff to make the best on the island. He makes
> > a plate with ahi cakes. Perhaps I can have it for lunch today. That would
> > be just great.
> >
> > http://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bpho...025uadYA/o.jpg

> Good luck I hope you managed to get some)
>
> I found this on the net which is very interesting and a recipe too)
>
> http://norecipes.com/recipe/beef-teriyaki-recipe/
>
> What do you think of that recipe?
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

The recipe looks OK but I would not do that to a skirt steak. I'd just season the steak and then cut it into bite size pieces. Fry it in a hot pan with a good amount of oil. Keep those pieces moving! Cook to medium rare. If you have a big piece of meat, cook it in batches. You can then make a glaze as described. I'd add some ginger, for sure. A few drops of sesame oil would be good. When you have a nice glaze going, either pour it on the meat or add the meat to the pan and coat the pieces. It should take only a few seconds to do this and then get it off the heat! The first time you serve it, you might want to serve the glaze in the side i.e., as a dipping sauce. It's simple and a ridiculously fast dish to make. Mangia!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 8:23:53 AM UTC-10, Magdalena wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 4:18:24 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >> I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England last
> >> week I spotted some and bought it.
> >>
> >> Please would you tell me what you do with it? Atm I have it in the sous
> >> vide thingy as I read that is shouldn't be overcooked or it toughens. I
> >> figured it ought to remain tender in there. Comments welcome.
> >>

> >> --
> >> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> > The guy next door uses the stuff to make the best teriyaki steak on the island. He makes a plate with ahi cakes. Perhaps I can have it for lunch today. That would be just great.
> >
> > http://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bpho...025uadYA/o.jpg
> >

> Nice looking plate lunch!
>
> The brown rice is a surprise and is that a crab cake under the remoulade
> sauce?

It's an ahi cake. It's good! Thanks Dean! The guy's wife makes a wonderful bata mochi topped with haupia. God damnit, it's good! Thanks, Dean's wife!

http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2009/09...ans-drive-inn/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 8:00:02 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>>> The guy next door uses the stuff to make the best on the island. He makes
>>> a plate with ahi cakes. Perhaps I can have it for lunch today. That would
>>> be just great.
>>>
>>> http://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bpho...025uadYA/o.jpg

>> Good luck I hope you managed to get some)
>>
>> I found this on the net which is very interesting and a recipe too)
>>
>> http://norecipes.com/recipe/beef-teriyaki-recipe/
>>
>> What do you think of that recipe?
>>
>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> The recipe looks OK but I would not do that to a skirt steak. I'd just season the steak and then cut it into bite size pieces. Fry it in a hot pan with a good amount of oil. Keep those pieces moving! Cook to medium rare. If you have a big piece of meat, cook it in batches. You can then make a glaze as described. I'd add some ginger, for sure. A few drops of sesame oil would be good. When you have a nice glaze going, either pour it on the meat or add the meat to the pan and coat the pieces. It should take only a few seconds to do this and then get it off the heat! The first time you serve it, you might want to serve the glaze in the side i.e., as a dipping sauce. It's simple and a ridiculously fast dish to make. Mangia!

I've never seen beef teriyaki cooked as whole steaks and sliced either,
defeats the ability of the meat to absorb the sauce.

To your ginger I'd add some finely sliced or even minced garlic.

That said, the ingredients look great and the final product isn't
something I'd chase off my plate.

For a backgrounder on teriyaki I like:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/04/p...aki-sauce.html

In a seminal book on Japanese cuisine, the aptly named Japanese Cooking,
celebrated chef Shizuo Tsuji offered a simple recipe for the sauce:
seven tablespoons of dark soy sauce, seven tablespoons of mirin, seven
tablespoons of sake, and one tablespoon of sugar, boiled in a saucepan
until the sugar dissolves. We have our own tried-and-tested teriyaki
recipe that's lighter on the sake and heavier on the sugar. The "gloss"
of teriyaki comes primarily from the mirin, a syrupy rice wine.

The Westernized version of teriyaki probably came to us via Japanese
immigrants to Hawaii, where brown sugar is much more commonly available
than rice. Hawaiian teriyaki also sometimes contains pineapple juice or
green onions. (The enzyme bromelain in pineapple juice is a useful
addition to a marinade, as it tenderizes red meat.) This version of
teriyaki is now a popular part of Hawaiian cuisine; the sauce served at
a luau is more likely to be teriyaki than American-style barbecue sauce.

Kikkoman, the world-famous Japanese soy sauce company, cites Hawaiian
teriyaki as the inspiration for the bottled teriyaki sauce that it
introduced to the American market in 1961. Years later the company
introduced a second version of teriyaki that used corn starch (now
"modified food starch") to create a much thicker basting sauce. Other
manufacturers followed suit, and thicker teriyaki is now a common sight
in supermarkets. Its viscosity made teriyaki more popular as a dipping
sauce, and even as a table sauce like ketchup.

Home cooks should be aware of the two versions of teriyaki sauce when
they go shopping. The thinner teriyaki sauce makes for a better a
marinade, though in our teriyaki taste test, we determined you're better
off making your own teriyaki marinade at home than buying a bottle of
the thin stuff. The thicker American-style teriyaki sauce is a wiser
purchase. It's more of an instant flavor enhancer, and better for
basting as you cook. The high sugar content means it can create a lovely
thick caramelized coating.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The New Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 14:18:09 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>>I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England last
>>week I spotted some and bought it.
>>
>>Please would you tell me what you do with it?

> Best is slow cooking, because it is TOUGH.
>
> It IS what fajitas were originally made of.
>
> It is the diaphragm of a cow, so gets used a LOT.

ahaaa so marinading and grilling it ... ?

Well it is in my sous vide so from what you say, that is the best place for
it ... yes?

Thanks

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 8:23:53 AM UTC-10, Magdalena wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> The guy next door uses the stuff to make the best teriyaki steak on the island. He makes a plate with ahi cakes. Perhaps I can have it for lunch today. That would be just great.
>>>
>>> http://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bpho...025uadYA/o.jpg
>>>

>> Nice looking plate lunch!
>>
>> The brown rice is a surprise and is that a crab cake under the remoulade
>> sauce?

> It's an ahi cake. It's good!

Sweet!

> Thanks Dean! The guy's wife makes a wonderful bata mochi topped with haupia. God damnit, it's good! Thanks, Dean's wife!
>
> http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2009/09...ans-drive-inn/

Damn that looks like a great spot to lunch at.

The baked butter mochi looks really tempting.

And I like the "deep sea kaku"/ barracuda.

A fantastic eating firm white-fleshed fish.

With one caveat - do NOT eat 'Cuda or other reef fish that when filleted
shows a yellow tinge to the flesh.

That, according to an old-timer I used to fish with is evidence of the
deadly ciguatera toxin.

I know you won't find that tip online, but a filet with bright yellow on
the meat is not appealing anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciguatera

Ciguatoxin is odorless, tasteless and cannot be removed by conventional
cooking.

In Northern Australia, where ciguatera is a common problem, two
different folk science methods are widely believed to detect whether
fish harbor significant ciguatoxin. The first method is that flies are
supposed not to land on contaminated fish. The second is that cats will
display symptoms after eating contaminated fish. A third, less common
testing method involves putting a silver coin under the scales of the
suspect fish. If the coin turns black, according to the theory, it is
contaminated.

On Grand Cayman island the locals will test barracuda by placing a piece
of the fish on the ground and allowing ants to crawl on it. If the ants
continue to move then the fish is deemed safe to eat.[citation needed]

The validity of many of these tests has been scientifically
rejected.[16] While animals such as cats do react to eating infected
fish, such tests are difficult to execute properly and are sensitive to
complications.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "The New Other Guy" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 14:18:09 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I sometimes see people here refer to is. When I was down in England
>>> last
>>> week I spotted some and bought it.
>>>
>>> Please would you tell me what you do with it?

>> Best is slow cooking, because it is TOUGH.
>>
>> It IS what fajitas were originally made of.
>>
>> It is the diaphragm of a cow, so gets used a LOT.

> ahaaa so marinading and grilling it ... ?
>
> Well it is in my sous vide so from what you say, that is the best place for
> it ... yes?
>
> Thanks

Not really, you'll have zero caramelization in a sous vide bath.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 9:48:32 AM UTC-10, Magdalena wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> >> Good luck I hope you managed to get some)
> >>
> >> I found this on the net which is very interesting and a recipe too)
> >>
> >> http://norecipes.com/recipe/beef-teriyaki-recipe/
> >>
> >> What do you think of that recipe?
> >>
> >> --
> >> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> > The recipe looks OK but I would not do that to a skirt steak. I'd just season the steak and then cut it into bite size pieces. Fry it in a hot pan with a good amount of oil. Keep those pieces moving! Cook to medium rare. If you have a big piece of meat, cook it in batches. You can then make a glaze as described. I'd add some ginger, for sure. A few drops of sesame oil would be good. When you have a nice glaze going, either pour it on the meat or add the meat to the pan and coat the pieces. It should take only a few seconds to do this and then get it off the heat! The first time you serve it, you might want to serve the glaze in the side i.e., as a dipping sauce. It's simple and a ridiculously fast dish to make. Mangia!
> >

> I've never seen beef teriyaki cooked as whole steaks and sliced either,
> defeats the ability of the meat to absorb the sauce.

Boneless chicken thighs cooked like this is pretty good. I don't much care for
cooking meat in liquid unless it's ones intention to stew or braise.

> To your ginger I'd add some finely sliced or even minced garlic.
>
> That said, the ingredients look great and the final product isn't
> something I'd chase off my plate.
>
> For a backgrounder on teriyaki I like:
>
> http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/04/p...aki-sauce.html
>
> In a seminal book on Japanese cuisine, the aptly named Japanese Cooking,
> celebrated chef Shizuo Tsuji offered a simple recipe for the sauce:
> seven tablespoons of dark soy sauce, seven tablespoons of mirin, seven
> tablespoons of sake, and one tablespoon of sugar, boiled in a saucepan
> until the sugar dissolves. We have our own tried-and-tested teriyaki
> recipe that's lighter on the sake and heavier on the sugar. The "gloss"
> of teriyaki comes primarily from the mirin, a syrupy rice wine.
>
> The Westernized version of teriyaki probably came to us via Japanese
> immigrants to Hawaii, where brown sugar is much more commonly available
> than rice. Hawaiian teriyaki also sometimes contains pineapple juice or
> green onions. (The enzyme bromelain in pineapple juice is a useful
> addition to a marinade, as it tenderizes red meat.) This version of
> teriyaki is now a popular part of Hawaiian cuisine; the sauce served at
> a luau is more likely to be teriyaki than American-style barbecue sauce.
>
> Kikkoman, the world-famous Japanese soy sauce company, cites Hawaiian
> teriyaki as the inspiration for the bottled teriyaki sauce that it
> introduced to the American market in 1961. Years later the company
> introduced a second version of teriyaki that used corn starch (now
> "modified food starch") to create a much thicker basting sauce. Other
> manufacturers followed suit, and thicker teriyaki is now a common sight
> in supermarkets. Its viscosity made teriyaki more popular as a dipping
> sauce, and even as a table sauce like ketchup.
>
> Home cooks should be aware of the two versions of teriyaki sauce when
> they go shopping. The thinner teriyaki sauce makes for a better a
> marinade, though in our teriyaki taste test, we determined you're better
> off making your own teriyaki marinade at home than buying a bottle of
> the thin stuff. The thicker American-style teriyaki sauce is a wiser
> purchase. It's more of an instant flavor enhancer, and better for
> basting as you cook. The high sugar content means it can create a lovely
> thick caramelized coating.

We're experts on beef teriyaki on this rock. In the old days, teriyaki beef was mostly made from frozen New Zealand rib eye. I guess it was cheap and took well to being grilled on a hibachi. These days, it's made with thinly sliced cross rib roast. The classier TB is made from flank steak and now the trend is to use hanger and skirt. It's a good trend alright.

The Hawaiian style is to use a thin marinade but I like the Japan style which is to use a thick glaze. Hawaii is trending in that direction too.

I have fond memories of eating those BBQ beef sticks when I was a kid. Typically we'd have a couple with a bowl of saimin. For some reason, they don't taste like beef teriyaki on a stick. I love those things but nobody hardly makes these things from the past. The trendy restaurants on the mainland might start making these BBQ sticks but I doubt they'll ever get the taste right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 10:04:27 AM UTC-10, Magdalena wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> >> Nice looking plate lunch!
> >>
> >> The brown rice is a surprise and is that a crab cake under the remoulade
> >> sauce?

> > It's an ahi cake. It's good!

> Sweet!
>
> > Thanks Dean! The guy's wife makes a wonderful bata mochi topped with haupia. God damnit, it's good! Thanks, Dean's wife!
> >
> > http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2009/09...ans-drive-inn/

> Damn that looks like a great spot to lunch at.
>
> The baked butter mochi looks really tempting.
>
> And I like the "deep sea kaku"/ barracuda.
>
> A fantastic eating firm white-fleshed fish.
>
> With one caveat - do NOT eat 'Cuda or other reef fish that when filleted
> shows a yellow tinge to the flesh.
>
> That, according to an old-timer I used to fish with is evidence of the
> deadly ciguatera toxin.
>
> I know you won't find that tip online, but a filet with bright yellow on
> the meat is not appealing anyway.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciguatera
>
> Ciguatoxin is odorless, tasteless and cannot be removed by conventional
> cooking.
>
> In Northern Australia, where ciguatera is a common problem, two
> different folk science methods are widely believed to detect whether
> fish harbor significant ciguatoxin. The first method is that flies are
> supposed not to land on contaminated fish. The second is that cats will
> display symptoms after eating contaminated fish. A third, less common
> testing method involves putting a silver coin under the scales of the
> suspect fish. If the coin turns black, according to the theory, it is
> contaminated.
>
> On Grand Cayman island the locals will test barracuda by placing a piece
> of the fish on the ground and allowing ants to crawl on it. If the ants
> continue to move then the fish is deemed safe to eat.[citation needed]
>
> The validity of many of these tests has been scientifically
> rejected.[16] While animals such as cats do react to eating infected
> fish, such tests are difficult to execute properly and are sensitive to
> complications.

I did not know this - thanks!

OTOH, that guy, like a lot of locals, is into fishing. The fishing culture in Hawaii was pretty big with the Nisei and Sansei. I believe that my dad was fishing in Honolulu harbor when the Japanese came with their bombs. It must have been something to be a kid and see something like that. Anyway, my understanding is that the locals know how to make soup out puffer fish which tells me they have to be pretty knowledgeable about fish. I certainly am not though. That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 9:48:32 AM UTC-10, Magdalena wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> The recipe looks OK but I would not do that to a skirt steak. I'd just season the steak and then cut it into bite size pieces. Fry it in a hot pan with a good amount of oil. Keep those pieces moving! Cook to medium rare. If you have a big piece of meat, cook it in batches. You can then make a glaze as described. I'd add some ginger, for sure. A few drops of sesame oil would be good. When you have a nice glaze going, either pour it on the meat or add the meat to the pan and coat the pieces. It should take only a few seconds to do this and then get it off the heat! The first time you serve it, you might want to serve the glaze in the side i.e., as a dipping sauce. It's simple and a ridiculously fast dish to make. Mangia!
>>>

>> I've never seen beef teriyaki cooked as whole steaks and sliced either,
>> defeats the ability of the meat to absorb the sauce.

> Boneless chicken thighs cooked like this is pretty good. I don't much care for
> cooking meat in liquid unless it's ones intention to stew or braise.

I agree that flash frying before adding sauce is best.

Else...no stir fries?

>> To your ginger I'd add some finely sliced or even minced garlic.
>>
>> That said, the ingredients look great and the final product isn't
>> something I'd chase off my plate.
>>
>> For a backgrounder on teriyaki I like:
>>
>> http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/04/p...aki-sauce.html
>>
>> In a seminal book on Japanese cuisine, the aptly named Japanese Cooking,
>> celebrated chef Shizuo Tsuji offered a simple recipe for the sauce:
>> seven tablespoons of dark soy sauce, seven tablespoons of mirin, seven
>> tablespoons of sake, and one tablespoon of sugar, boiled in a saucepan
>> until the sugar dissolves. We have our own tried-and-tested teriyaki
>> recipe that's lighter on the sake and heavier on the sugar. The "gloss"
>> of teriyaki comes primarily from the mirin, a syrupy rice wine.
>>
>> The Westernized version of teriyaki probably came to us via Japanese
>> immigrants to Hawaii, where brown sugar is much more commonly available
>> than rice. Hawaiian teriyaki also sometimes contains pineapple juice or
>> green onions. (The enzyme bromelain in pineapple juice is a useful
>> addition to a marinade, as it tenderizes red meat.) This version of
>> teriyaki is now a popular part of Hawaiian cuisine; the sauce served at
>> a luau is more likely to be teriyaki than American-style barbecue sauce.
>>
>> Kikkoman, the world-famous Japanese soy sauce company, cites Hawaiian
>> teriyaki as the inspiration for the bottled teriyaki sauce that it
>> introduced to the American market in 1961. Years later the company
>> introduced a second version of teriyaki that used corn starch (now
>> "modified food starch") to create a much thicker basting sauce. Other
>> manufacturers followed suit, and thicker teriyaki is now a common sight
>> in supermarkets. Its viscosity made teriyaki more popular as a dipping
>> sauce, and even as a table sauce like ketchup.
>>
>> Home cooks should be aware of the two versions of teriyaki sauce when
>> they go shopping. The thinner teriyaki sauce makes for a better a
>> marinade, though in our teriyaki taste test, we determined you're better
>> off making your own teriyaki marinade at home than buying a bottle of
>> the thin stuff. The thicker American-style teriyaki sauce is a wiser
>> purchase. It's more of an instant flavor enhancer, and better for
>> basting as you cook. The high sugar content means it can create a lovely
>> thick caramelized coating.

> We're experts on beef teriyaki on this rock. In the old days, teriyaki beef was mostly made from frozen New Zealand rib eye. I guess it was cheap and took well to being grilled on a hibachi. These days, it's made with thinly sliced cross rib roast. The classier TB is made from flank steak and now the trend is to use hanger and skirt. It's a good trend alright.

I had no idea you imported Kiwi beef, but it is a logical source to use.

Could you taste a difference between that and domestic?

> The Hawaiian style is to use a thin marinade but I like the Japan style which is to use a thick glaze.

Same here.

> Hawaii is trending in that direction too.

Plus you add pineapple juice, which is awesome.

> I have fond memories of eating those BBQ beef sticks when I was a kid. Typically we'd have a couple with a bowl of saimin. For some reason, they don't taste like beef teriyaki on a stick. I love those things but nobody hardly makes these things from the past. The trendy restaurants on the mainland might start making these BBQ sticks but I doubt they'll ever get the taste right.

Had to look up saiman:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Soup/HawaiianSaimin.htm

The favorite local fast food of the Hawaiian islands (also considered
the national dish of Hawaii) is Saimin, an inexpensive noodle and broth
soup. It is considered the supreme comfort food of the Islands, eaten at
any time of day. You can find this soup at snack bars, coffee shops, and
even on the McDonald's menu (in Hawaii only). Saimin is basically the
same thing as ramen, a Japanese noodle soup. In Hawaii, you will get the
real thing, fresh, thin white noodles in a clear broth with green
onions, kamaboko (fish cakes), and sometimes ham or char siu (pork).
Some people add chicken, eggs, shrimp, and whatever else is desired. The
Saimin is eaten very hot with chopsticks or spoons, and the broth is
then drunk from the bowl. Do not be afraid to slup, as there is simply
no quiet way to eat Saimin.
Japanese immigrants consider Saimin to be Chinese, and the Chinese
consider it to be Japanese. Because Hawaii is made up of an incredible
mix of cultures - Hawaiian, Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, Thai, and many
others - it could have originated from anywhere, then combined into this
very tasty and popular soup. Each new wave of immigrant workers adapted
their native cuisine to fit the Islands' available ingredients.

Is this recipe close to the sticks you used to get?

http://www.cookinghawaiianstyle.com/...detail&id=1886

Cooking Process:
Thread meat strips or chicken cubes onto skewers; weaving strips in and
out. In a long shallow dish or zip lock bag; combine marinade
ingredients. Marinate meat sticks 30-40 minutes. Oven broil or charcoal
broil for best results, turning once until cooked to desired doneness,
about 2-3 minutes. Garnish with green onion. Makes 24-26 sticks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 12:16:51 PM UTC-6, Magdalena wrote:
> rosie wrote:
> > fajitas are made mostly with round steak.

> That's ABSURD!
>
> Where do you live, New Jersey?

they are now, I live in Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "tert in seattle" > wrote in message

>>> Thanks I will look at that for the other piece.

>>> Enjoy) btw I've never had a fajita in my life ... <g>

>> I'd rather eat a pasty

> Ahh Please tell why?

a fajita is just a tortilla with grilled meat and stuff in it

I've been eating pasties ever since I had teeth so it's kind of hard
to explain

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 10:04:27 AM UTC-10, Magdalena wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> It's an ahi cake. It's good!

>> Sweet!
>>
>>> Thanks Dean! The guy's wife makes a wonderful bata mochi topped with haupia. God damnit, it's good! Thanks, Dean's wife!
>>>
>>> http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2009/09...ans-drive-inn/

>> Damn that looks like a great spot to lunch at.
>>
>> The baked butter mochi looks really tempting.
>>
>> And I like the "deep sea kaku"/ barracuda.
>>
>> A fantastic eating firm white-fleshed fish.
>>
>> With one caveat - do NOT eat 'Cuda or other reef fish that when filleted
>> shows a yellow tinge to the flesh.
>>
>> That, according to an old-timer I used to fish with is evidence of the
>> deadly ciguatera toxin.
>>
>> I know you won't find that tip online, but a filet with bright yellow on
>> the meat is not appealing anyway.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciguatera
>>
>> Ciguatoxin is odorless, tasteless and cannot be removed by conventional
>> cooking.
>>
>> In Northern Australia, where ciguatera is a common problem, two
>> different folk science methods are widely believed to detect whether
>> fish harbor significant ciguatoxin. The first method is that flies are
>> supposed not to land on contaminated fish. The second is that cats will
>> display symptoms after eating contaminated fish. A third, less common
>> testing method involves putting a silver coin under the scales of the
>> suspect fish. If the coin turns black, according to the theory, it is
>> contaminated.
>>
>> On Grand Cayman island the locals will test barracuda by placing a piece
>> of the fish on the ground and allowing ants to crawl on it. If the ants
>> continue to move then the fish is deemed safe to eat.[citation needed]
>>
>> The validity of many of these tests has been scientifically
>> rejected.[16] While animals such as cats do react to eating infected
>> fish, such tests are difficult to execute properly and are sensitive to
>> complications.

> I did not know this - thanks!

No problemo.

> OTOH, that guy, like a lot of locals, is into fishing.

For a living, true.

I think the restaurants and markets he supplied wouldn't have liked
poisoning their clients.

> The fishing culture in Hawaii was pretty big with the Nisei and Sansei. I believe that my dad was fishing in Honolulu harbor when the Japanese came with their bombs. It must have been something to be a kid and see something like that.

Wow, as in earth-shattering - literally!

> Anyway, my understanding is that the locals know how to make soup out puffer fish which tells me they have to be pretty knowledgeable about fish. I certainly am not though. That's the breaks.

Better safe than sorry for sure, neurological illnesses are nasty stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

rosie wrote:
> On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 12:16:51 PM UTC-6, Magdalena wrote:
>> rosie wrote:
>>> fajitas are made mostly with round steak.

>> That's ABSURD!
>>
>> Where do you live, New Jersey?

> they are now, I live in Texas

And you're seeing round stake fajitas?

Lordy!

I believe we'll be a stoppin' those right at the border...

http://www.amazingmexicanrecipes.com...-beef-fajitas/

¼ cup tequila
…“ cup fresh lime juice
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon crushed, dried oregano leaves
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
Instructions
Combine everything and mix well.
Pour this marinade over the meat in a shallow plastic, glass or other
non-reactive container.
A 1 gallon zip top bag also works well.
Refrigerate overnight or for up to 24 hours.
You will have enough marinade for 1 to 1 ½ lbs of flank steak, which
will serve 4 people.

Photo Description:
This Mexican beef marinade will add flavor and tenderize your meat at
the same time. The tequila, lime and other ingredients all work in
harmony to bring out the beauty of your meat. Typical cuts of beef used
in Mexican cuisine include flank or skirt steak, and in this picture you
can see juicy flank steak which has been marinated and then grilled.
This would be a lovely meat to use when making your next fajita recipe.
Add onion and bell pepper, guacamole, sour cream and salsa to finish
your fajitas off perfectly. Marinating meat is such a simple thing to do
and any home cook can master this technique with ease.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 10:39:24 AM UTC-10, Magdalena wrote:
> [...]

> consider it to be Japanese. Because Hawaii is made up of an incredible
> mix of cultures - Hawaiian, Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, Thai, and many
> others - it could have originated from anywhere, then combined into this
> very tasty and popular soup. Each new wave of immigrant workers adapted
> their native cuisine to fit the Islands' available ingredients.
>
> Is this recipe close to the sticks you used to get?
>
> http://www.cookinghawaiianstyle.com/...detail&id=1886
>
> Cooking Process:
> Thread meat strips or chicken cubes onto skewers; weaving strips in and
> out. In a long shallow dish or zip lock bag; combine marinade
> ingredients. Marinate meat sticks 30-40 minutes. Oven broil or charcoal
> broil for best results, turning once until cooked to desired doneness,
> about 2-3 minutes. Garnish with green onion. Makes 24-26 sticks.

Actually, I've never tried making one of these things. The concept seems simple enough though. If I can find a place that makes a good BBQ stick, I would always order that.

Most of the saimin sold these days are pretty mediocre which is understandable since cooking the noodles properly does not lend itself to most commercial kitchens. These days, Japanese-style ramen is taking over the scene.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:

>>> I'd rather eat a pasty

>> Ahh Please tell why?

> a fajita is just a tortilla with grilled meat and stuff in it

Factual, but let's not diminish it with "just"...

It's a marvelously versatile dish, as happy with beef as chicken or even
shrimp!

> I've been eating pasties ever since I had teeth so it's kind of hard
> to explain

Tastycakes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 8:00:02 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > The guy next door uses the stuff to make the best on the island. He
>> > makes
>> > a plate with ahi cakes. Perhaps I can have it for lunch today. That
>> > would
>> > be just great.
>> >
>> > http://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bpho...025uadYA/o.jpg

>> Good luck I hope you managed to get some)
>>
>> I found this on the net which is very interesting and a recipe too)
>>
>> http://norecipes.com/recipe/beef-teriyaki-recipe/
>>
>> What do you think of that recipe?
>>
>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> The recipe looks OK but I would not do that to a skirt steak. I'd just
> season the steak and then cut it into bite size pieces. Fry it in a hot
> pan with a good amount of oil. Keep those pieces moving! Cook to medium
> rare. If you have a big piece of meat, cook it in batches. You can then
> make a glaze as described. I'd add some ginger, for sure. A few drops of
> sesame oil would be good. When you have a nice glaze going, either pour it
> on the meat or add the meat to the pan and coat the pieces. It should take
> only a few seconds to do this and then get it off the heat! The first time
> you serve it, you might want to serve the glaze in the side i.e., as a
> dipping sauce. It's simple and a ridiculously fast dish to make. Mangia!

I find it hard to imagine such a tough meat could be edible when fried ???

Just shows you what I know, eh? <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> [...]

>> others - it could have originated from anywhere, then combined into this
>> very tasty and popular soup. Each new wave of immigrant workers adapted
>> their native cuisine to fit the Islands' available ingredients.
>>
>> Is this recipe close to the sticks you used to get?
>>
>> http://www.cookinghawaiianstyle.com/...detail&id=1886
>>
>> Cooking Process:
>> Thread meat strips or chicken cubes onto skewers; weaving strips in and
>> out. In a long shallow dish or zip lock bag; combine marinade
>> ingredients. Marinate meat sticks 30-40 minutes. Oven broil or charcoal
>> broil for best results, turning once until cooked to desired doneness,
>> about 2-3 minutes. Garnish with green onion. Makes 24-26 sticks.

> Actually, I've never tried making one of these things. The concept seems simple enough though. If I can find a place that makes a good BBQ stick, I would always order that.

If you please:

http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Skewers...oo+BBQ+skewers

Yes, I suspect you wanted more than just the skewers, but these are the
best.

> Most of the saimin sold these days are pretty mediocre which is understandable since cooking the noodles properly does not lend itself to most commercial kitchens. These days, Japanese-style ramen is taking over the scene.

Ramen rules!

If you haven't seen it yet, the brisket ramen in this episode of Aaron
Franklin's BBQ show is to die for:

....about the 20:00 min. mark if you're in a hurry.

Skirt Steak Gunner[_6_] Mexican Cooking 1 19-03-2008 10:09 PM
"beef flap meat" vs "skirt steak" cathy[_1_] General Cooking 12 03-03-2007 03:01 AM
Got skirt steak Bob General Cooking 8 19-08-2005 05:26 PM
Corned Beef Skirt Steaks Steve Wertz Barbecue 21 20-04-2004 07:00 PM