Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default condensed soup substitute

My family loves the "dreaded" green bean casserole for Thanksgiving so
I make it every year, but I got off the canned soup bandwagon decades
ago. If you want to kick canned soup to the curb, here's how to make
a condensed soup substitute (cream of mushroom is a variation listed
below).
http://www.home-ec101.com/homemade-s...g-soup-recipe/

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-11-01 1:50 PM, sf wrote:
> My family loves the "dreaded" green bean casserole for Thanksgiving so
> I make it every year, but I got off the canned soup bandwagon decades
> ago. If you want to kick canned soup to the curb, here's how to make
> a condensed soup substitute (cream of mushroom is a variation listed
> below).
> http://www.home-ec101.com/homemade-s...g-soup-recipe/

I was going to suggest a Bechamel sauce, which is what that link is.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Nov 2015 14:03:19 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2015-11-01 1:50 PM, sf wrote:
>> My family loves the "dreaded" green bean casserole for Thanksgiving so
>> I make it every year, but I got off the canned soup bandwagon decades
>> ago. If you want to kick canned soup to the curb, here's how to make
>> a condensed soup substitute (cream of mushroom is a variation listed
>> below).
>> http://www.home-ec101.com/homemade-s...g-soup-recipe/
>>

>I was going to suggest a Bechamel sauce, which is what that link is.

Basically, yes!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Nov 2015 10:50:24 -0800, sf > wrote:

>My family loves the "dreaded" green bean casserole for Thanksgiving so
>I make it every year, but I got off the canned soup bandwagon decades
>ago. If you want to kick canned soup to the curb, here's how to make
>a condensed soup substitute (cream of mushroom is a variation listed
>below).
>http://www.home-ec101.com/homemade-s...g-soup-recipe/

Here is my version of the casserole,\.

Green Beans with Mushrooms

1/2 cup onion, sliced
1/2 cup mushroom, sliced
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon marjoram, dry
1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
1 tablespoon flour, all-purpose
1 cup milk
4 cups green beans, canned, drained

Saute onion and mushroom in the olive oil.
Add the marjoram
Add butter and let melt
Add flour
Stir until flour is cooked.
Add milk carefully and keep stirring until it makes a sauce.
Add beans and cook until hot.
Add salt & pepper to taste.

Susan Ness
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 1 Nov 2015 14:03:19 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>On 2015-11-01 1:50 PM, sf wrote:
>>> My family loves the "dreaded" green bean casserole for
>>> Thanksgiving so I make it every year, but I got off the
>>> canned soup bandwagon decades ago.

>>I was going to suggest a Bechamel sauce, which is what that
>>link is.

> Basically, yes!

Duh, yeah. Same effect, less crud. I have never used canned
soup for creams. My mother would have rolled over in her
grave if I ever sank that low.

--

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice,
you have chosen the side of the oppressor " --

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-11-01 6:49 PM, Michel Boucher wrote:

>>> I was going to suggest a Bechamel sauce, which is what that
>>> link is.

>> Basically, yes!

> Duh, yeah. Same effect, less crud. I have never used canned
> soup for creams. My mother would have rolled over in her
> grave if I ever sank that low.

I was achild of the 50s so I had been exposed to a number of dishes that
had condensed soups as an ingredient. I rememberhaving been exposed to
variations of the infamous casserole as a kid. Having been at my
mother's uncle's farm when he slopped the pigs, I was not keen on it.
Years later when I had to help her prepare Christmas dinner and she
wanted me to take care of the green bean casserole I had not been
exposed to for more than 40 years, I have to admit that I was pleased
with the results.

I might even be tempted to try it myself, but..... I don't recall ever
seeing those canned fried onions in the grocery store. I have never
looked for them. Considering that my wife and I share the task of
shopping, I would expect to have experienced them by osmosis.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 01 Nov 2015 10:50:24 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> > My family loves the "dreaded" green bean casserole for Thanksgiving
> > so I make it every year, but I got off the canned soup bandwagon
> > decades ago. If you want to kick canned soup to the curb, here's
> > how to make a condensed soup substitute (cream of mushroom is a
> > variation listed below).
> > http://www.home-ec101.com/homemade-s...ensed-cream-of
> > -something-soup-recipe/

> Here is my version of the casserole,\.
>
> Green Beans with Mushrooms
>
> 1/2 cup onion, sliced
> 1/2 cup mushroom, sliced
> 1 teaspoon olive oil
> 1 teaspoon marjoram, dry
> 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
> 1 tablespoon flour, all-purpose
> 1 cup milk
> 4 cups green beans, canned, drained
>
> Saute onion and mushroom in the olive oil.
> Add the marjoram
> Add butter and let melt
> Add flour
> Stir until flour is cooked.
> Add milk carefully and keep stirring until it makes a sauce.
> Add beans and cook until hot.
> Add salt & pepper to taste.
>

> Susan Ness

LOL, mine goes the other way. Fresh green beans from the steamer,
canned soup. I'm usually adding this to other far more complex menus
and lack time to get that fancy with this simple side. Instead, I will
use that time to make something else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> My family loves the "dreaded" green bean casserole for Thanksgiving so
> I make it every year, but I got off the canned soup bandwagon decades
> ago. If you want to kick canned soup to the curb, here's how to make
> a condensed soup substitute (cream of mushroom is a variation listed
> below).
> http://www.home-ec101.com/homemade-s...g-soup-recipe/

I've been making similar for years but no dairy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>>> Basically, yes!

>> Duh, yeah. Same effect, less crud. I have never used canned
>> soup for creams. My mother would have rolled over in her
>> grave if I ever sank that low.

> I was achild of the 50s so I had been exposed to a number of dishes that
> had condensed soups as an ingredient. I rememberhaving been exposed to
> variations of the infamous casserole as a kid. Having been at my mother's
> uncle's farm when he slopped the pigs, I was not keen on it. Years later
> when I had to help her prepare Christmas dinner and she wanted me to take
> care of the green bean casserole I had not been exposed to for more than
> 40 years, I have to admit that I was pleased with the results.
>

> I might even be tempted to try it myself, but..... I don't recall ever
> seeing those canned fried onions in the grocery store. I have never
> looked for them. Considering that my wife and I share the task of
> shopping, I would expect to have experienced them by osmosis.

I've had trouble finding them. They're never where you might think them to
be.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Nov 2015 17:17:00 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> >

> > I might even be tempted to try it myself, but..... I don't recall ever
> > seeing those canned fried onions in the grocery store. I have never
> > looked for them. Considering that my wife and I share the task of
> > shopping, I would expect to have experienced them by osmosis.

> I've had trouble finding them. They're never where you might think them to
> be.

I don't use canned onions. Buttered bread crumbs or panko go on mine.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Nov 2015 18:35:33 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

> The Cook wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On Sun, 01 Nov 2015 10:50:24 -0800, sf > wrote:
> >
> > > My family loves the "dreaded" green bean casserole for Thanksgiving
> > > so I make it every year, but I got off the canned soup bandwagon
> > > decades ago. If you want to kick canned soup to the curb, here's
> > > how to make a condensed soup substitute (cream of mushroom is a
> > > variation listed below).
> > > http://www.home-ec101.com/homemade-s...ensed-cream-of
> > > -something-soup-recipe/

> > Here is my version of the casserole,\.
> >
> > Green Beans with Mushrooms
> >
> > 1/2 cup onion, sliced
> > 1/2 cup mushroom, sliced
> > 1 teaspoon olive oil
> > 1 teaspoon marjoram, dry
> > 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
> > 1 tablespoon flour, all-purpose
> > 1 cup milk
> > 4 cups green beans, canned, drained
> >
> > Saute onion and mushroom in the olive oil.
> > Add the marjoram
> > Add butter and let melt
> > Add flour
> > Stir until flour is cooked.
> > Add milk carefully and keep stirring until it makes a sauce.
> > Add beans and cook until hot.
> > Add salt & pepper to taste.
> >

> > Susan Ness

> LOL, mine goes the other way. Fresh green beans from the steamer,
> canned soup. I'm usually adding this to other far more complex menus
> and lack time to get that fancy with this simple side. Instead, I will
> use that time to make something else.

I prefer frozen beans. I've used canned, fresh and frozen. Fresh is
fine, but I hate the way fresh squeaks if they aren't well enough
cooked and frozen eliminates that problem. Plus they're less fuss.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Nov 2015 17:15:41 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> news
> > My family loves the "dreaded" green bean casserole for Thanksgiving so
> > I make it every year, but I got off the canned soup bandwagon decades
> > ago. If you want to kick canned soup to the curb, here's how to make
> > a condensed soup substitute (cream of mushroom is a variation listed
> > below).
> > http://www.home-ec101.com/homemade-s...g-soup-recipe/

> I've been making similar for years but no dairy.

I have to do that this year. Which non-dairy milk do you use... is
there also a non-dairy (non-soy) creamer? I haven't thought to look
yet.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Nov 2015 17:45:43 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Nov 2015 18:35:33 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> The Cook wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > Here is my version of the casserole,\.
>> >
>> > Green Beans with Mushrooms
>> >
>> > 1/2 cup onion, sliced
>> > 1/2 cup mushroom, sliced
>> > 1 teaspoon olive oil
>> > 1 teaspoon marjoram, dry
>> > 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
>> > 1 tablespoon flour, all-purpose
>> > 1 cup milk
>> > 4 cups green beans, canned, drained
>> >
>> > Saute onion and mushroom in the olive oil.
>> > Add the marjoram
>> > Add butter and let melt
>> > Add flour
>> > Stir until flour is cooked.
>> > Add milk carefully and keep stirring until it makes a sauce.
>> > Add beans and cook until hot.
>> > Add salt & pepper to taste.
>> >

>> > Susan Ness

>> LOL, mine goes the other way. Fresh green beans from the steamer,
>> canned soup. I'm usually adding this to other far more complex menus
>> and lack time to get that fancy with this simple side. Instead, I will
>> use that time to make something else.

>I prefer frozen beans. I've used canned, fresh and frozen. Fresh is
>fine, but I hate the way fresh squeaks if they aren't well enough
>cooked and frozen eliminates that problem. Plus they're less fuss.

BTW the green beans are either Roma or French Green Beans, grown in
our garden and canned by me.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-11-02, Dave Smith > wrote:

> I don't recall ever seeing those canned fried onions in the grocery
> store.

Seems they, like fresh cranberries, are a seasonal offering. Yer
stores must have an isle/island/section dedicated to T-Day and Xmas
specialty foods. All mine do.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-11-02 4:41 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 2-Nov-2015, notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2015-11-02, Dave Smith > wrote:
>>
>>> I don't recall ever seeing those canned fried onions in the grocery
>>> store.

>> Seems they, like fresh cranberries, are a seasonal offering. Yer
>> stores must have an isle/island/section dedicated to T-Day and Xmas
>> specialty foods. All mine do.
>>
>> nb

> Here, STL suburb, they are always available at the stores I shop, just not
> always intuitively shelved. However, around the holidays, the stock is much
> larger and prominently placed. Friday, while shopping, I noticed they
> (French's and store brand) were in there usual place; French's had also
> taken over a whole end-cap and were also in the "seasonal" aisle. That's
> my name for the perpendicular aisle that runs half the length of the store
> and is currently stocked with all the Thanksgiving-related boxed and canned
> goods - it's purpose is to handle the extra stock required to meet a
> temporary demand increase.

It seems to be a traditional Turkey Day dish in the US, not up here. As
Christmas approaches we start seeing special displays of baking
ingredients like flour, brown sugar, glazed fruits etc. I can't recall
ever seeing a special display of canned fried onions. I will make a
mental note to look. I am not even sure what section would be the most
likely to have them. My mother had some, so she obviously got them
somewhere, though she has been gone for a few years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 5:14:17 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-11-02 4:41 PM, l not -l wrote:

> >> Seems they, like fresh cranberries, are a seasonal offering. Yer
> >> stores must have an isle/island/section dedicated to T-Day and Xmas
> >> specialty foods. All mine do.
> >>
> >> nb

> > Here, STL suburb, they are always available at the stores I shop, just not
> > always intuitively shelved. However, around the holidays, the stock is much
> > larger and prominently placed. Friday, while shopping, I noticed they
> > (French's and store brand) were in there usual place; French's had also
> > taken over a whole end-cap and were also in the "seasonal" aisle. That's
> > my name for the perpendicular aisle that runs half the length of the store
> > and is currently stocked with all the Thanksgiving-related boxed and canned
> > goods - it's purpose is to handle the extra stock required to meet a
> > temporary demand increase.
> >

> It seems to be a traditional Turkey Day dish in the US, not up here. As
> Christmas approaches we start seeing special displays of baking
> ingredients like flour, brown sugar, glazed fruits etc. I can't recall
> ever seeing a special display of canned fried onions. I will make a
> mental note to look. I am not even sure what section would be the most
> likely to have them. My mother had some, so she obviously got them
> somewhere, though she has been gone for a few years.

I think they're in the canned vegetable aisle in my grocery store.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Canned fried onions

Dave Smith wrote:

> It seems to be a traditional Turkey Day dish in the US, not up here. As
> Christmas approaches we start seeing special displays of baking
> ingredients like flour, brown sugar, glazed fruits etc. I can't recall
> ever seeing a special display of canned fried onions. I will make a
> mental note to look. I am not even sure what section would be the most
> likely to have them. My mother had some, so she obviously got them
> somewhere, though she has been gone for a few years.

They do sell them year round here but I forget where in the middle
aisles. Now that holidays are coming soon, they were on the end of an
aisle today. $3 for a ???? size container. (I didn't look)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> It seems to be a traditional Turkey Day dish in the US, not up here. As
>> Christmas approaches we start seeing special displays of baking
>> ingredients like flour, brown sugar, glazed fruits etc. I can't recall
>> ever seeing a special display of canned fried onions. I will make a
>> mental note to look. I am not even sure what section would be the most
>> likely to have them. My mother had some, so she obviously got them
>> somewhere, though she has been gone for a few years.

> They do sell them year round here but I forget where in the middle
> aisles. Now that holidays are coming soon, they were on the end of an
> aisle today. $3 for a ???? size container. (I didn't look)

I've been seeing them all over now. Now that I don't need any.