Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Don't Want Survival Food? How about this?

Hello Fresh boxed food delivery:

https://www.hellofresh.com/storytell..._campaign=US-S[01_01_00_00]%3A%20HelloFresh%20%28USA%29&utm_term=hellofresh

ooops, tiny url:

http://tinyurl.com/pmdamxd

Shall we talk?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 11:22:30 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Hello Fresh boxed food delivery:
>
> https://www.hellofresh.com/storytell..._campaign=US-S[01_01_00_00]%3A%20HelloFresh%20%28USA%29&utm_term=hellofresh
>
> ooops, tiny url:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/pmdamxd
>
> Shall we talk?

I tried Blue Apron.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> There are a bunch of these services. You pay 4-6x as much

Bugger off, virus.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Hello Fresh boxed food delivery:
>
> https://www.hellofresh.com/storytell..._campaign=US-S[01_01_00_00]%3A%20HelloFresh%20%28USA%29&utm_term=hellofresh
>
> ooops, tiny url:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/pmdamxd
>
> Shall we talk?

My friend's niece gets that and likes it. Seems like a big waste of money
to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/17/2015 3:09 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Hello Fresh boxed food delivery:
>>
>> https://www.hellofresh.com/storytell..._campaign=US-S[01_01_00_00]%3A%20HelloFresh%20%28USA%29&utm_term=hellofresh
>>

>> ooops, tiny url:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/pmdamxd
>>
>> Shall we talk?

> My friend's niece gets that and likes it. Seems like a big waste of
> money to me.

I agree, Julie.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/17/2015 12:09 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 11:22:30 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Hello Fresh boxed food delivery:
>>
>> https://www.hellofresh.com/storytell..._campaign=US-S[01_01_00_00]%3A%20HelloFresh%20%28USA%29&utm_term=hellofresh
>>
>> ooops, tiny url:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/pmdamxd
>>
>> Shall we talk?
>>

> I tried Blue Apron.

And? Was it worth the price? I am not considering this, mind you, just
a topic for discussion.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/17/2015 12:26 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 11:22:30 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Hello Fresh boxed food delivery:
>>
>> https://www.hellofresh.com/storytell..._campaign=US-S[01_01_00_00]%3A%20HelloFresh%20%28USA%29&utm_term=hellofresh
>>
>> ooops, tiny url:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/pmdamxd
>>
>> Shall we talk?

> There are a bunch of these services. You pay 4-6x as much for food as
> you would if you'd just shopped and prepped the food yourself. There
> are much better options if you're just trying to avoid those 2 things.
>
> -sw

They don't even do the prep. They just drop off a box of overpriced
"local" food with a recipe. You still have to do all the work.

"And that’s exactly why we connect you with local suppliers, ensuring
that produce goes from their farm to your fork in the shortest time
possible. From ToJo Mushrooms, our esteemed mushroom farmer, to Murray's
Chickens, our sustainable chicken farmer, you can be sure you’ll be
eating the best."

Sorry, I don't know ToJo the esteemed mushroom farmer nor do I know
Murray or his chickens. Get back to me when you can tell me the name of
the gal who sells me eggs.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 16:13:29 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 10/17/2015 12:09 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 11:22:30 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hello Fresh boxed food delivery:
> >>
> >> https://www.hellofresh.com/storytell..._campaign=US-S[01_01_00_00]%3A%20HelloFresh%20%28USA%29&utm_term=hellofresh
> >>
> >> ooops, tiny url:
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/pmdamxd
> >>
> >> Shall we talk?
> >>

> > I tried Blue Apron.
> >

> And? Was it worth the price? I am not considering this, mind you, just
> a topic for discussion.

For some, it's worth the price because they don't have to meal plan,
grocery shop or buy large amounts of seasonings when just a little is
called for in a recipe. They are given a written recipe on shiny card
stock and spices are pre-measured and all packages are clearly
labeled. all you do need to prepare vegetables... ie: cut the
zucchini and cook the food. When you're ready to cook all you do is
take the recipe and pull out the necessary ingredients.

If I was single, I would probably have an entirely different outlook
so maybe it would make sense. Every meal is scaled for two, so I
could cook once and eat twice. I would probably not mind spending
extra money so that someone else would come up with interesting meals,
grocery shop and parcel out ingredients in the exact amounts that I'd
need and give me a recipe to follow.

I still enjoy hunting for interesting recipes, grocery shopping and
cooking, so the subscription wasn't worthwhile for me. In fact, I
felt rushed because I had my own list of meals that I wanted to make -
but the box was here and I knew another one was coming in a week. So
I cancelled the service. AFAIC, it's good for people who don't enjoy
meal planning, grocery shopping etc or families who work long hours
and have children who need to be fed sooner than later after work.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/17/2015 4:58 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 16:13:29 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/17/2015 12:09 PM, sf wrote:

>>> I tried Blue Apron.
>>>

>> And? Was it worth the price? I am not considering this, mind you, just
>> a topic for discussion.
>>

> For some, it's worth the price because they don't have to meal plan,
> grocery shop or buy large amounts of seasonings when just a little is
> called for in a recipe. They are given a written recipe on shiny card
> stock and spices are pre-measured and all packages are clearly
> labeled. all you do need to prepare vegetables... ie: cut the
> zucchini and cook the food. When you're ready to cook all you do is
> take the recipe and pull out the necessary ingredients.
>
> If I was single, I would probably have an entirely different outlook
> so maybe it would make sense. Every meal is scaled for two, so I
> could cook once and eat twice. I would probably not mind spending
> extra money so that someone else would come up with interesting meals,
> grocery shop and parcel out ingredients in the exact amounts that I'd
> need and give me a recipe to follow.
>
> I still enjoy hunting for interesting recipes, grocery shopping and
> cooking, so the subscription wasn't worthwhile for me. In fact, I
> felt rushed because I had my own list of meals that I wanted to make -
> but the box was here and I knew another one was coming in a week. So
> I cancelled the service. AFAIC, it's good for people who don't enjoy
> meal planning, grocery shopping etc or families who work long hours
> and have children who need to be fed sooner than later after work.

I suppose it makes sense in some situations. Thanks for the answer.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > Wrote in message:
> Hello Fresh boxed food delivery:
>
> https://www.hellofresh.com/storytell..._campaign=US-S[01_01_00_00]%3A%20HelloFresh%20%28USA%29&utm_term=hellofresh
>
> ooops, tiny url:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/pmdamxd
>
> Shall we talk?
>
> Jill

Me and my sister in law were just talking about this. She buys
some of the vegetarian kits for my niece and lets her cook them
herself. it's great learning for her and she tries things she
might not otherwise and makes life easier for them all. Plus they
keep the recipe cards for what she likes so she can recreate them
with grocery store items.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 10:01:17 -0400 (EDT), Cheryl
> wrote:

>Me and my sister in law were just talking about this. She buys
> some of the vegetarian kits for my niece and lets her cook them
> herself. it's great learning for her and she tries things she
> might not otherwise and makes life easier for them all. Plus they
> keep the recipe cards for what she likes so she can recreate them
> with grocery store items.

Cheryl totally different subject - I see under your signature an
Android newsgroup reader, is it purely a reader or can you post from
there too ?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 16:35:06 -0400 (EDT), Cheryl

Wrote in message:

>> Cheryl totally different subject - I see under your signature an
>> Android newsgroup reader, is it purely a reader or can you post from
>> there too ?
>>

>read and post.

On a little bitty screen!! Not as real computer screen like my HP
Pavillion 27xi!! TWENTY SEVEN INCHES, diagonally!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wrote in message:

>> Cheryl totally different subject - I see under your signature an
>> Android newsgroup reader, is it purely a reader or can you post from
>> there too ?
>>

>read and post.

OK thanks, will investigate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 3:18:54 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 10/18/2015 4:50 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 16:35:06 -0400 (EDT), Cheryl
> > > wrote:

> >> read and post.

> > On a little bitty screen!! Not as real computer screen like my HP
> > Pavillion 27xi!! TWENTY SEVEN INCHES, diagonally!!
> >
> > John Kuthe...
> >

> Funny, my two home computers have a 24" and a 27" screen, but 80% of
> what I do is on my 11" Acer netbook. Right now I'm watching TV with my
> wife and I'm sitting back in the recliner with the netbook on my belly.
> I can also lay in bed with the head up and do the same thing with my
> feet under the blanket. Power beds was a great idea. Got them when my
> wife had surgery a couple of years ago. Bedroom has a 40" screen and
> soundbar.

My theory is that people with poor eyesight should be watching movies on small screens instead of big ones. With a small screen, you can put your face right up to the screen and see more than you could with a big screen. The future of TV screens for old folks could be smaller, not larger.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2015 9:35 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> My theory is that people with poor eyesight should be watching movies on small screens instead of big ones. With a small screen, you can put your face right up to the screen and see more than you could with a big screen. The future of TV screens for old folks could be smaller, not larger.

There is some truth to that. My grandson has vision problems and uses a
small screen and either large font or magnifying glass.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 18:35:10 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 3:18:54 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 10/18/2015 4:50 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
>> > On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 16:35:06 -0400 (EDT), Cheryl

>> > On a little bitty screen!! Not as real computer screen like my HP
>> > Pavillion 27xi!! TWENTY SEVEN INCHES, diagonally!!
>> >
>> > John Kuthe...
>> >

>> Funny, my two home computers have a 24" and a 27" screen, but 80% of
>> what I do is on my 11" Acer netbook. Right now I'm watching TV with my
>> wife and I'm sitting back in the recliner with the netbook on my belly.
>> I can also lay in bed with the head up and do the same thing with my
>> feet under the blanket. Power beds was a great idea. Got them when my
>> wife had surgery a couple of years ago. Bedroom has a 40" screen and
>> soundbar.

>My theory is that people with poor eyesight should be watching movies on small screens instead of big ones. With a small screen, you can put your face right up to the screen and see more than you could with a big screen. The future of TV screens for old folks could be smaller, not larger.

I've got no use for an itty butty screen!! I love as much screen "real
estate" as I can get!! This 27" diagonal screen is perfect because it
still fits between the uprights on my computer desk hutch! A bigger
one would not.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 3:54:26 PM UTC-10, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 18:35:10 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

> >> Funny, my two home computers have a 24" and a 27" screen, but 80% of
> >> what I do is on my 11" Acer netbook. Right now I'm watching TV with my
> >> wife and I'm sitting back in the recliner with the netbook on my belly..
> >> I can also lay in bed with the head up and do the same thing with my
> >> feet under the blanket. Power beds was a great idea. Got them when my
> >> wife had surgery a couple of years ago. Bedroom has a 40" screen and
> >> soundbar.

> >My theory is that people with poor eyesight should be watching movies on small screens instead of big ones. With a small screen, you can put your face right up to the screen and see more than you could with a big screen. The future of TV screens for old folks could be smaller, not larger.

> I've got no use for an itty butty screen!! I love as much screen "real
> estate" as I can get!! This 27" diagonal screen is perfect because it
> still fits between the uprights on my computer desk hutch! A bigger
> one would not.
>

> John Kuthe...

Just wait until your range of sight is something like 7". Your big screen TV won't save you then! Muuuhahahahahahaaha!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 19:01:51 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 3:54:26 PM UTC-10, John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 18:35:10 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> wrote:

>> >My theory is that people with poor eyesight should be watching movies on small screens instead of big ones. With a small screen, you can put your face right up to the screen and see more than you could with a big screen. The future of TV screens for old folks could be smaller, not larger.

>> I've got no use for an itty butty screen!! I love as much screen "real
>> estate" as I can get!! This 27" diagonal screen is perfect because it
>> still fits between the uprights on my computer desk hutch! A bigger
>> one would not.
>>

>> John Kuthe...

>Just wait until your range of sight is something like 7". Your big screen TV won't save you then! Muuuhahahahahahaaha!

I can get as close as I want to to it!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 5:28:08 PM UTC-10, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 19:01:51 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 3:54:26 PM UTC-10, John Kuthe wrote:

> >> I've got no use for an itty butty screen!! I love as much screen "real
> >> estate" as I can get!! This 27" diagonal screen is perfect because it
> >> still fits between the uprights on my computer desk hutch! A bigger
> >> one would not.
> >>

> >> John Kuthe...

> >Just wait until your range of sight is something like 7". Your big screen TV won't save you then! Muuuhahahahahahaaha!

> I can get as close as I want to to it!
>
> John Kuthe...

Try sticking your nose a few inches from a big screen TV and you'll see why it ain't practical.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 21:09:17 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

> On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 5:28:08 PM UTC-10, John Kuthe wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 19:01:51 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
> > wrote:

> > >Just wait until your range of sight is something like 7". Your big screen TV won't save you then! Muuuhahahahahahaaha!

> > I can get as close as I want to to it!
> >
> > John Kuthe...

> Try sticking your nose a few inches from a big screen TV and you'll see why it ain't practical.

LOL!

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 10/18/2015 9:35 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> My theory is that people with poor eyesight should be watching movies on
>> small screens instead of big ones. With a small screen, you can put your
>> face right up to the screen and see more than you could with a big
>> screen. The future of TV screens for old folks could be smaller, not
>> larger.
>>

> There is some truth to that. My grandson has vision problems and uses a
> small screen and either large font or magnifying glass.

Yes! My mom puts hers on wide screen and then I get calls from her asking
what something is on the TV. I can never see what she is seeing as her
screen is distorted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 18:35:10 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:

>>> Funny, my two home computers have a 24" and a 27" screen, but 80% of
>>> what I do is on my 11" Acer netbook. Right now I'm watching TV with my
>>> wife and I'm sitting back in the recliner with the netbook on my belly.
>>> I can also lay in bed with the head up and do the same thing with my
>>> feet under the blanket. Power beds was a great idea. Got them when my
>>> wife had surgery a couple of years ago. Bedroom has a 40" screen and
>>> soundbar.

>>My theory is that people with poor eyesight should be watching movies on
>>small screens instead of big ones. With a small screen, you can put your
>>face right up to the screen and see more than you could with a big screen.
>>The future of TV screens for old folks could be smaller, not larger.

> I've got no use for an itty butty screen!! I love as much screen "real
> estate" as I can get!! This 27" diagonal screen is perfect because it
> still fits between the uprights on my computer desk hutch! A bigger
> one would not.

I think that's a guy thing. I only ever bought one TV. A very small black
and white. I have had two TVs since. Both gifts. One was the same size
but color. My dad didn't like my black and white so got me the color.

Then when Angela was small, we had been using my husband's old TV which was
actually bigger than I prefer. It went bad so out came my old little one.
Daughter and I were fine with it. Husband and dad were not. Dad bought me
the one that we have now. He also bought my husband his own TV. Husband
has since bought several others, each progressively bigger. And he wants
bigger still. His dad had a huge one.

I am fine with something about the size of an average notebook. The one I
have currently is bigger than that but it's okay. I wouldn't want much
bigger though. My brother had a little black and white back in the 70's
that had a screen not much bigger than a Saltine. That was a little too
small for me and I think you could only get sound via headphones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 3:48:11 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 10/18/2015 9:35 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

> > My theory is that people with poor eyesight should be watching movies on small screens instead of big ones. With a small screen, you can put your face right up to the screen and see more than you could with a big screen. The future of TV screens for old folks could be smaller, not larger.
> >

> There is some truth to that. My grandson has vision problems and uses a
> small screen and either large font or magnifying glass.

A headset that places two screens a few inches from his eyes MIGHT work well for him. The good news is that these things will be fairly common soon.

http://www.wareable.com/headgear/the...nd-vr-headsets
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 3:48:11 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 10/18/2015 9:35 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>

>>> My theory is that people with poor eyesight should be watching movies on small screens instead of big ones. With a small screen, you can put your face right up to the screen and see more than you could with a big screen. The future of TV screens for old folks could be smaller, not larger.
>>>

>> There is some truth to that. My grandson has vision problems and uses a
>> small screen and either large font or magnifying glass.

> A headset that places two screens a few inches from his eyes MIGHT work well for him. The good news is that these things will be fairly common soon.
>
> http://www.wareable.com/headgear/the...nd-vr-headsets

Welcome to..."The Lawnmower Man"...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 7:07:10 AM UTC-10, Questa wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> >> There is some truth to that. My grandson has vision problems and uses a
> >> small screen and either large font or magnifying glass.

> > A headset that places two screens a few inches from his eyes MIGHT work well for him. The good news is that these things will be fairly common soon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 7:07:10 AM UTC-10, Questa wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> A headset that places two screens a few inches from his eyes MIGHT work well for him. The good news is that these things will be fairly common soon.
>>>
>>> http://www.wareable.com/headgear/the...nd-vr-headsets
>>>

>> Welcome to..."The Lawnmower Man"...

> That's a movie that rarely comes on the telly. It's an arrangement we can all live with.

<chuckle>

Or..."Brazil"...