Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Speaking of English Muffins...

I was at Publix today and went to pick up some butter. What did I spy
but English Muffins (Bay brand) in the refrigerated case. I guess I
just never noticed before. (I don't buy English Muffins often.) No, I
didn't check to see if any of them were moldy.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-10-06 5:50 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I was at Publix today and went to pick up some butter. What did I spy
> but English Muffins (Bay brand) in the refrigerated case. I guess I
> just never noticed before. (I don't buy English Muffins often.) No, I
> didn't check to see if any of them were moldy.

I posted recently about not seeing English muffins for sale here and
talking with my wife about it. She was in a grocery store today and
say English muffins so she bought a pack. I don't know why. I didn't say
I wanted them. I am not all that interested in English muffins. I was
just commenting on their seeming to have fallen out of favour around
here. However, she also bought a package of Crumpets, which I do
like... a lot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>I was at Publix today and went to pick up some butter. What did I spy but
>English Muffins (Bay brand) in the refrigerated case. I guess I just never
>noticed before. (I don't buy English Muffins often.) No, I didn't check
>to see if any of them were moldy.

Some of them are sold that way in some stores.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>I was at Publix today and went to pick up some butter. What did I spy but
>English Muffins (Bay brand) in the refrigerated case. I guess I just never
>noticed before. (I don't buy English Muffins often.) No, I didn't check
>to see if any of them were moldy.
>
> Jill

I'm with you, I've never noticed them.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I was at Publix today and went to pick up some butter. What did I spy
> but English Muffins (Bay brand) in the refrigerated case. I guess I
> just never noticed before. (I don't buy English Muffins often.) No, I
> didn't check to see if any of them were moldy.
>
> Jill

hmm, haven't thought of Andy in a while

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:
>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I was at Publix today and went to pick up some butter. What did I spy
>> but English Muffins (Bay brand) in the refrigerated case. I guess I
>> just never noticed before. (I don't buy English Muffins often.) No, I
>> didn't check to see if any of them were moldy.

>hmm, haven't thought of Andy in a while

Moldy made you think Andy... by now I'm sure he's well past moldy.
hehe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 4:51:03 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> I was at Publix today and went to pick up some butter. What did I spy
> but English Muffins (Bay brand) in the refrigerated case. I guess I
> just never noticed before. (I don't buy English Muffins often.) No, I
> didn't check to see if any of them were moldy.
>
> Jill

Jill, have you ever ordered English Muffins from Wolfermans? They are delicious, also they have a variety of flavors and sizes. Other baked goods too. I love them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/8/2015 12:34 PM, rosie wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 4:51:03 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>> I was at Publix today and went to pick up some butter. What did I spy
>> but English Muffins (Bay brand) in the refrigerated case. I guess I
>> just never noticed before. (I don't buy English Muffins often.) No, I
>> didn't check to see if any of them were moldy.
>>
>> Jill

> Jill, have you ever ordered English Muffins from Wolfermans? They are delicious, also they have a variety of flavors and sizes. Other baked goods too. I love them.

Nope, rosie, I haven't. I can't recall ever ordering food online
(spices from Penzey's or The Spice House don't count!) but someone may
be interested.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 09:34:49 -0700 (PDT), rosie >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 4:51:03 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>> I was at Publix today and went to pick up some butter. What did I spy
>> but English Muffins (Bay brand) in the refrigerated case. I guess I
>> just never noticed before. (I don't buy English Muffins often.) No, I
>> didn't check to see if any of them were moldy.
>>
>> Jill

>Jill, have you ever ordered English Muffins from Wolfermans? They are delicious, also they have a variety of flavors and sizes. Other baked goods too. I love them.

A friend ordered a gift package for us. After the first bite most of
it was thrown away. That's my only experience of Wolfermans. She
raved about them. Everything was dry.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/8/2015 1:54 PM, Janet B wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 09:34:49 -0700 (PDT), rosie >
> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 4:51:03 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>>> I was at Publix today and went to pick up some butter. What did I spy
>>> but English Muffins (Bay brand) in the refrigerated case. I guess I
>>> just never noticed before. (I don't buy English Muffins often.) No, I
>>> didn't check to see if any of them were moldy.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Jill, have you ever ordered English Muffins from Wolfermans? They are delicious, also they have a variety of flavors and sizes. Other baked goods too. I love them.

> A friend ordered a gift package for us. After the first bite most of
> it was thrown away. That's my only experience of Wolfermans. She
> raved about them. Everything was dry.
> Janet US

I really can't imagine ordering any sort of bread online.

All I said was I had never seen refrigerated English Muffins until that
day so I was a little surprised. I wasn't really tempted to buy a
package of them.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave, what is the difference between English muffins and crumpets, in
taste? I Google-Imaged crumpets, and they look like half of an
English muffin, like you would cut an E. muffin horizontally and you
would see the inside surface...which looked to me the same as a crumpet.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-10-08 4:46 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Dave, what is the difference between English muffins and crumpets, in
> taste? I Google-Imaged crumpets, and they look like half of an
> English muffin, like you would cut an E. muffin horizontally and you
> would see the inside surface...which looked to me the same as a crumpet.

In taste? Hmmm.... I usually have crumpets toasted with butter and
honey. My experience is more and better flavour but, more important is
the difference in texture. One of the biggest and the consistent
difference is that crumpets are only cooked on one side. The result is a
top surface that is full of holes, abysses designed to sop up melted
butter and honey or jam. I don't really care much for English muffins,
but I love crumpets.

That being said, spend the money for proper crumpets. The ones my wife
bought this week were not impressive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 6:29:48 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-10-08 4:46 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> > Dave, what is the difference between English muffins and crumpets, in
> > taste? I Google-Imaged crumpets, and they look like half of an
> > English muffin, like you would cut an E. muffin horizontally and you
> > would see the inside surface...which looked to me the same as a crumpet.
> >

> In taste? Hmmm.... I usually have crumpets toasted with butter and
> honey. My experience is more and better flavour but, more important is
> the difference in texture. One of the biggest and the consistent
> difference is that crumpets are only cooked on one side. The result is a
> top surface that is full of holes, abysses designed to sop up melted
> butter and honey or jam. I don't really care much for English muffins,
> but I love crumpets.
>
> That being said, spend the money for proper crumpets. The ones my wife
> bought this week were not impressive.

I probably haven't had proper crumpets, but the ones I've had have
struck me as moister than English muffins. I like 'em.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 6:29:48 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2015-10-08 4:46 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> > Dave, what is the difference between English muffins and crumpets, in
>> > taste? I Google-Imaged crumpets, and they look like half of an
>> > English muffin, like you would cut an E. muffin horizontally and you
>> > would see the inside surface...which looked to me the same as a
>> > crumpet.
>> >

>> In taste? Hmmm.... I usually have crumpets toasted with butter and
>> honey. My experience is more and better flavour but, more important is
>> the difference in texture. One of the biggest and the consistent
>> difference is that crumpets are only cooked on one side. The result is a
>> top surface that is full of holes, abysses designed to sop up melted
>> butter and honey or jam. I don't really care much for English muffins,
>> but I love crumpets.
>>
>> That being said, spend the money for proper crumpets. The ones my wife
>> bought this week were not impressive.

> I probably haven't had proper crumpets, but the ones I've had have
> struck me as moister than English muffins. I like 'em.

Different texture. I much prefer crumpets.

See he

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-d...rumpets-113577

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 13:46:37 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> Dave, what is the difference between English muffins and crumpets, in
> taste? I Google-Imaged crumpets, and they look like half of an
> English muffin, like you would cut an E. muffin horizontally and you
> would see the inside surface...which looked to me the same as a crumpet.

I love crumpets and think there's a big difference. Crumpets are kind
of squishy, meant to soak up lots of butter - but decent English
muffin should be crispy when it's toasted (that's why I prefer
Thomas's). If a toasted English muffin doesn't have those nooks &
crannies + a crispy exterior and a soft interior, switch brands.

--

sf

English Muffins Gus[_3_] General Cooking 63 08-01-2014 10:13 PM
Using English muffins ---- and more Sky General Cooking 21 05-10-2010 10:56 PM
New scam alert! Non-English-speaking illegals as foster parentsof monolingual English U.S. kids! greg3347 General Cooking 0 11-12-2007 01:16 PM
English Muffins Frank103 Baking 8 14-11-2006 02:41 AM
English muffins Nancy Young General Cooking 74 27-01-2006 12:08 AM