FoodBanter.com

-   -   Fish Fingers' 60th Anniversary in the UK (Gdn) (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/435100-fish-fingers-60th-anniversary.html)

[email protected] 05-10-2015 08:04 PM

Fish Fingers' 60th Anniversary in the UK (Gdn)

A good read from one Felicity Cloake:

"But whether they are served with hot sauce or ketchup, fish fingers are still fish in its least-threatening form, which may explain why they haven't caught on to the same extent in countries less squeamish about seafood, such as Spain or France. They were introduced to the UK market in 1955 with the sales pitch: "No bones, no waste, no smell, no fuss." They were an immediate hit, selling 600 tonnes in the first year. These days, the figure is closer to 28,000 tonnes, and Birds Eye, which brought them to this country from the United States, claims that three-quarters of us get their first taste of fish from a fish finger."

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...e-of-childhood

dsi1[_17_] 05-10-2015 08:22 PM

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 9:04:30 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> A good read from one Felicity Cloake:
>
> "But whether they are served with hot sauce or ketchup, fish fingers are still fish in its least-threatening form, which may explain why they haven't caught on to the same extent in countries less squeamish about seafood, such as Spain or France. They were introduced to the UK market in 1955 with the sales pitch: "No bones, no waste, no smell, no fuss." They were an immediate hit, selling 600 tonnes in the first year. These days, the figure is closer to 28,000 tonnes, and Birds Eye, which brought them to this country from the United States, claims that three-quarters of us get their first taste of fish from a fish finger."
>
> http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...e-of-childhood

It's the same way in the states. It's a brilliant way to get people to eat fish and a lot of kids grew up eating the stuff during the 60s and 70s.

I don't like messing around with those stinky, slimy, fishes either. OTOH, I suspect that we'll be eating more fish because it's cheaper. Last night I had salt-grilled saba broiled in a toaster oven. It was just a buck per piece. Hoo boy!

Ophelia[_14_] 05-10-2015 09:03 PM

Fish Fingers' 60th Anniversary in the UK (Gdn)

> wrote in message
> A good read from one Felicity Cloake:
>
> "But whether they are served with hot sauce or ketchup, fish fingers are
> still fish in its least-threatening form, which may explain why they
> haven't caught on to the same extent in countries less squeamish about
> seafood, such as Spain or France. They were introduced to the UK market in
> 1955 with the sales pitch: "No bones, no waste, no smell, no fuss." They
> were an immediate hit, selling 600 tonnes in the first year. These days,
> the figure is closer to 28,000 tonnes, and Birds Eye, which brought them
> to this country from the United States, claims that three-quarters of us
> get their first taste of fish from a fish finger."
>
> http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...e-of-childhood

Nahh unless it was in areas that didn't have fish and chip shops:)) I can't
actually think of any.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

graham[_4_] 05-10-2015 09:07 PM

On 05/10/2015 1:04 PM, wrote:
> A good read from one Felicity Cloake:
>
> "But whether they are served with hot sauce or ketchup, fish fingers are still fish in its least-threatening form, which may explain why they haven't caught on to the same extent in countries less squeamish about seafood, such as Spain or France. They were introduced to the UK market in 1955 with the sales pitch: "No bones, no waste, no smell, no fuss." They were an immediate hit, selling 600 tonnes in the first year. These days, the figure is closer to 28,000 tonnes, and Birds Eye, which brought them to this country from the United States, claims that three-quarters of us get their first taste of fish from a fish finger."

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...e-of-childhood

There was a competition in, I think, Punch, to describe a common or
garden dish in restaurantese. The best submission described fish fingers
as something like: "Strips of Arctic cod, lovingly coated in batter and
breadcrumbs etc, etc"
Graham

Roy[_2_] 05-10-2015 09:27 PM

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 2:13:50 PM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > A good read from one Felicity Cloake:
> >
> > "But whether they are served with hot sauce or ketchup, fish fingers are
> > still fish in its least-threatening form, which may explain why they
> > haven't caught on to the same extent in countries less squeamish about
> > seafood, such as Spain or France. They were introduced to the UK market in
> > 1955 with the sales pitch: "No bones, no waste, no smell, no fuss." They
> > were an immediate hit, selling 600 tonnes in the first year. These days,
> > the figure is closer to 28,000 tonnes, and Birds Eye, which brought them
> > to this country from the United States, claims that three-quarters of us
> > get their first taste of fish from a fish finger."
> >
> > http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...e-of-childhood

> Nahh unless it was in areas that didn't have fish and chip shops:)) I can't
> actually think of any.

Fish fingers are an abomination unto the Lord. Ground up processed fish trimmings
lovingly smashed and trashed and coated with whatever is at hand.
Then they are heated until they are half-burned and then frozen and packaged.
Yuck!!!
=====

dsi1[_17_] 05-10-2015 09:31 PM

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 10:28:02 AM UTC-10, Roy wrote:
> On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 2:13:50 PM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > > A good read from one Felicity Cloake:
> > >
> > > "But whether they are served with hot sauce or ketchup, fish fingers are
> > > still fish in its least-threatening form, which may explain why they
> > > haven't caught on to the same extent in countries less squeamish about
> > > seafood, such as Spain or France. They were introduced to the UK market in
> > > 1955 with the sales pitch: "No bones, no waste, no smell, no fuss." They
> > > were an immediate hit, selling 600 tonnes in the first year. These days,
> > > the figure is closer to 28,000 tonnes, and Birds Eye, which brought them
> > > to this country from the United States, claims that three-quarters of us
> > > get their first taste of fish from a fish finger."
> > >
> > > http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...e-of-childhood

> > Nahh unless it was in areas that didn't have fish and chip shops:)) I can't
> > actually think of any.
> >

> Fish fingers are an abomination unto the Lord. Ground up processed fish trimmings
> lovingly smashed and trashed and coated with whatever is at hand.
> Then they are heated until they are half-burned and then frozen and packaged.
> Yuck!!!
> =====

This is true. They're also a brilliant way to get people to eat fish. The ways of the Lord is a mystery to us.

Jeßus[_50_] 05-10-2015 09:37 PM

Fish Fingers' 60th Anniversary in the UK (Gdn)

On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 13:27:52 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
wrote:

>Fish fingers are an abomination unto the Lord. Ground up processed fish trimmings
>lovingly smashed and trashed and coated with whatever is at hand.
>Then they are heated until they are half-burned and then frozen and packaged.
>Yuck!!!

It figures that you think fish fingers can only be highly processed
cheap crap. They don't have to be, you know.

Ophelia[_14_] 05-10-2015 09:57 PM

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 2:13:50 PM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> > A good read from one Felicity Cloake:
>> >
>> > "But whether they are served with hot sauce or ketchup, fish fingers
>> > are
>> > still fish in its least-threatening form, which may explain why they
>> > haven't caught on to the same extent in countries less squeamish about
>> > seafood, such as Spain or France. They were introduced to the UK market
>> > in
>> > 1955 with the sales pitch: "No bones, no waste, no smell, no fuss."
>> > They
>> > were an immediate hit, selling 600 tonnes in the first year. These
>> > days,
>> > the figure is closer to 28,000 tonnes, and Birds Eye, which brought
>> > them
>> > to this country from the United States, claims that three-quarters of
>> > us
>> > get their first taste of fish from a fish finger."
>> >
>> > http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...e-of-childhood

>> Nahh unless it was in areas that didn't have fish and chip shops:)) I
>> can't
>> actually think of any.
>>

> Fish fingers are an abomination unto the Lord. Ground up processed fish
> trimmings
> lovingly smashed and trashed and coated with whatever is at hand.
> Then they are heated until they are half-burned and then frozen and
> packaged.
> Yuck!!!
> =====

I can only remember trying them once! It was enough.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

dsi1[_17_] 05-10-2015 10:32 PM

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 11:01:26 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> >> Nahh unless it was in areas that didn't have fish and chip shops:)) I
> >> can't
> >> actually think of any.
> >>

> > Fish fingers are an abomination unto the Lord. Ground up processed fish
> > trimmings
> > lovingly smashed and trashed and coated with whatever is at hand.
> > Then they are heated until they are half-burned and then frozen and
> > packaged.
> > Yuck!!!
> > =====

> I can only remember trying them once! It was enough.
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

The thing is, if you put a put a fish on a plate and set that before a little kid, he's liable to start bawling. Put some fish sticks in front of the same kid and the outcome is certain - happy kid.

Janet 05-10-2015 10:45 PM

Fish Fingers' 60th Anniversary in the UK (Gdn)

In article >,
says...

> On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 13:27:52 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
> wrote:
>
> >Fish fingers are an abomination unto the Lord. Ground up processed fish trimmings
> >lovingly smashed and trashed and coated with whatever is at hand.
> >Then they are heated until they are half-burned and then frozen and packaged.
> >Yuck!!!

> It figures that you think fish fingers can only be highly processed
> cheap crap. They don't have to be, you know.

The fish in Birds Eye UK fish fingers, is 100% cod fillet.
The coating is breadcrumbs.

I served them to my grandchildren last week for their tea, baked in
the oven, with cheesy potato (some left over mashed potato, sprinkled
with grated cheddar and baked till golden); peas, and fresh tomatoes.

Janet UK

jmcquown[_2_] 05-10-2015 10:48 PM

On 10/5/2015 3:04 PM, wrote:
> A good read from one Felicity Cloake:
>
> "But whether they are served with hot sauce or ketchup, fish fingers are still fish in its least-threatening form, which may explain why they haven't caught on to the same extent in countries less squeamish about seafood, such as Spain or France. They were introduced to the UK market in 1955 with the sales pitch: "No bones, no waste, no smell, no fuss." They were an immediate hit, selling 600 tonnes in the first year. These days, the figure is closer to 28,000 tonnes, and Birds Eye, which brought them to this country from the United States, claims that three-quarters of us get their first taste of fish from a fish finger."

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...e-of-childhood

"Sadly, the early name “cod pieces” failed to stick, though perhaps it’s
for the best"

Jill

Dave Smith[_1_] 05-10-2015 10:51 PM

On 2015-10-05 5:32 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> The thing is, if you put a put a fish on a plate and set that before
> a little kid, he's liable to start bawling. Put some fish sticks in
> front of the same kid and the outcome is certain - happy kid.

I don't remember ever buying or serving fish sticks, but when our son
was young he loved fish of any kind. When he balked at some foods I
would fib and tell him it was fish and he would eat it.

Dave Smith[_1_] 05-10-2015 10:55 PM

On 2015-10-05 5:48 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> "Sadly, the early name €ścod pieces€ť failed to stick, though perhaps its
> for the best"

LOL. Sadly, only drama or history buffs would know what a cod piece is.

dsi1[_20_] 05-10-2015 11:12 PM

On 10/5/2015 11:51 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-10-05 5:32 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> The thing is, if you put a put a fish on a plate and set that before
>> a little kid, he's liable to start bawling. Put some fish sticks in
>> front of the same kid and the outcome is certain - happy kid.
>>

> I don't remember ever buying or serving fish sticks, but when our son
> was young he loved fish of any kind. When he balked at some foods I
> would fib and tell him it was fish and he would eat it.

Well he sounds like a good lad and that's good.

jmcquown[_2_] 05-10-2015 11:14 PM

On 10/5/2015 5:55 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-10-05 5:48 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> "Sadly, the early name €ścod pieces€ť failed to stick, though perhaps its
>> for the best"
>>

> LOL. Sadly, only drama or history buffs would know what a cod piece is.

Or historical drama buffs. ;)

Jill

Dave Smith[_1_] 05-10-2015 11:41 PM

On 2015-10-05 6:12 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> I don't remember ever buying or serving fish sticks, but when our son
>> was young he loved fish of any kind. When he balked at some foods I
>> would fib and tell him it was fish and he would eat it.

> Well he sounds like a good lad and that's good.

He is a good kid. I think we did well.

Janet B 05-10-2015 11:55 PM

On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 22:45:19 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
>says...
>>
>> On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 13:27:52 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Fish fingers are an abomination unto the Lord. Ground up processed fish trimmings
>> >lovingly smashed and trashed and coated with whatever is at hand.
>> >Then they are heated until they are half-burned and then frozen and packaged.
>> >Yuck!!!

>> It figures that you think fish fingers can only be highly processed
>> cheap crap. They don't have to be, you know.

> The fish in Birds Eye UK fish fingers, is 100% cod fillet.
> The coating is breadcrumbs.
>
> I served them to my grandchildren last week for their tea, baked in
>the oven, with cheesy potato (some left over mashed potato, sprinkled
>with grated cheddar and baked till golden); peas, and fresh tomatoes.
>
> Janet UK
>
>Same here for the ones I purchase -- 100% cod fillet. Tea sounded good to me.

Janet US

brooklyn1 06-10-2015 12:58 AM

Fish Fingers' 60th Anniversary in the UK (Gdn)

On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 22:45:19 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
>says...
>>
>> On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 13:27:52 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Fish fingers are an abomination unto the Lord. Ground up processed fish trimmings
>> >lovingly smashed and trashed and coated with whatever is at hand.
>> >Then they are heated until they are half-burned and then frozen and packaged.
>> >Yuck!!!

>> It figures that you think fish fingers can only be highly processed
>> cheap crap. They don't have to be, you know.

> The fish in Birds Eye UK fish fingers, is 100% cod fillet.
> The coating is breadcrumbs.
>
> I served them to my grandchildren last week for their tea, baked in
>the oven, with cheesy potato (some left over mashed potato, sprinkled
>with grated cheddar and baked till golden); peas, and fresh tomatoes.
>
> Janet UK

Cheese with fish is DIS-GUSTING!

Mirrror of TrVth 06-10-2015 01:00 AM

On 10/5/2015 4:52 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Unfortunately they're kinda tasteless.

Just like YOU, dwarf.

Bugger off.

Janet B 06-10-2015 01:00 AM

Fish Fingers' 60th Anniversary in the UK (Gdn)

On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 17:55:37 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2015-10-05 5:48 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> "Sadly, the early name “cod pieces” failed to stick, though perhaps it’s
>> for the best"
>>

>LOL. Sadly, only drama or history buffs would know what a cod piece is.

gimme a break! Really?
Janet US

brooklyn1 06-10-2015 01:18 AM

Roy wrote:

>Fish fingers are an abomination unto the Lord.

Don't know about your lord but when I was a teen bringing dates to
drive in movies I had fish fingers that lasted all night and through
the next day. LOL

dsi1[_20_] 06-10-2015 01:21 AM

On 10/5/2015 2:00 PM, Janet B wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 17:55:37 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2015-10-05 5:48 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>

>>> "Sadly, the early name “cod pieces” failed to stick, though perhaps it’s
>>> for the best"
>>>

>> LOL. Sadly, only drama or history buffs would know what a cod piece is.

> gimme a break! Really?
> Janet US

I'm wearing one now. A guy in my position has to. It's made of Kevlar.
For extra protection I also have a custom-made, carbon nano-tube, merkin
that's can withstand an acetylene torch flame for 20 seconds. I highly
recommend these items if you have the wherewithal.

Nancy Young[_8_] 06-10-2015 02:51 AM

On 10/5/2015 8:00 PM, Janet B wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 17:55:37 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2015-10-05 5:48 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>

>>> "Sadly, the early name “cod pieces” failed to stick, though perhaps it’s
>>> for the best"
>>>

>> LOL. Sadly, only drama or history buffs would know what a cod piece is.

> gimme a break! Really?

It's not something that ever comes up in conversation but
I certainly know what it is.

Seems like something you might hear about in a Monte Python
sketch.

nancy

Janet B 06-10-2015 05:32 AM

Fish Fingers' 60th Anniversary in the UK (Gdn)

On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 21:51:16 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 10/5/2015 8:00 PM, Janet B wrote:
>> On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 17:55:37 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> LOL. Sadly, only drama or history buffs would know what a cod piece is.

>> gimme a break! Really?

>It's not something that ever comes up in conversation but
>I certainly know what it is.
>
>Seems like something you might hear about in a Monte Python
>sketch.
>
>nancy

Or if you ever did any reading.
Janet US

Jeßus[_50_] 06-10-2015 06:08 AM

Fish Fingers' 60th Anniversary in the UK (Gdn)

On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 22:45:19 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
>says...
>>
>> On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 13:27:52 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Fish fingers are an abomination unto the Lord. Ground up processed fish trimmings
>> >lovingly smashed and trashed and coated with whatever is at hand.
>> >Then they are heated until they are half-burned and then frozen and packaged.
>> >Yuck!!!

>> It figures that you think fish fingers can only be highly processed
>> cheap crap. They don't have to be, you know.

> The fish in Birds Eye UK fish fingers, is 100% cod fillet.
> The coating is breadcrumbs.

Doesnt sound too bad compared to the cheap and nasty ones out there.
I make my own fish fingers occasionally, usually from strips of salmon
fillet that I then coat in crumbs or good old panko.

> I served them to my grandchildren last week for their tea, baked in
>the oven, with cheesy potato (some left over mashed potato, sprinkled
>with grated cheddar and baked till golden); peas, and fresh tomatoes.

Yum :) I have just returned from the dentist and haven't eaten much at
all in the past 24 hours, until just now - a cauliflower & cheese and
a chicken mornay pie... man, I was hungry!

Moe DeLoughan[_2_] 06-10-2015 01:05 PM

On 10/5/2015 5:52 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 07:37:53 +1100, Jeßus wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 13:27:52 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Fish fingers are an abomination unto the Lord. Ground up processed fish trimmings
>>> lovingly smashed and trashed and coated with whatever is at hand.
>>> Then they are heated until they are half-burned and then frozen and packaged.
>>> Yuck!!!

>> It figures that you think fish fingers can only be highly processed
>> cheap crap. They don't have to be, you know.

> The ones at Costco are made from whole pieces of fish and are quite
> meaty. Trident I think is the brand. Unfortunately they're kinda
> tasteless. Needs more additives!

Trident Ultimate fish sticks. Whole pollock filets with panko crumb
coating. They're very good.

Gary 06-10-2015 01:24 PM

Janet B wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> >LOL. Sadly, only drama or history buffs would know what a cod piece is.

> gimme a break! Really?

On a somewhat related but very disturbing note. I was channel surfing
during commercial time last night. I clicked on TLC I think. It was
titled, "The man with an 80-pound groin." Oh man did I ever wish I
didn't see that. After watching a few minutes and determining that it
was a real medical show. I quickly switched to some other friendly
channel, saying la la la la all the time.

Anyway, the guy was arguing with his doctor who wanted to remove it.
Other doctors years ago told him that he could easily die on the
operating table so that's why he put it off so long.

Janet 06-10-2015 02:09 PM

Fish Fingers' 60th Anniversary in the UK (Gdn)

In article >, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

> On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 22:45:19 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> >says...

> >> It figures that you think fish fingers can only be highly processed
> >> cheap crap. They don't have to be, you know.

> > The fish in Birds Eye UK fish fingers, is 100% cod fillet.
> > The coating is breadcrumbs.
> >
> > I served them to my grandchildren last week for their tea, baked in
> >the oven, with cheesy potato (some left over mashed potato, sprinkled
> >with grated cheddar and baked till golden); peas, and fresh tomatoes.
> >
> > Janet UK

> Cheese with fish is DIS-GUSTING!

Cheese with potato is yummy.

Sorry to hear you've never tasted or been able to afford lobster
thermidor; or haddock, plaice or sole mornay. They are rather expensive.

Janet UK

Janet B 06-10-2015 04:29 PM

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 08:24:39 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Janet B wrote:
>>
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>> >LOL. Sadly, only drama or history buffs would know what a cod piece is.

>> gimme a break! Really?

>On a somewhat related but very disturbing note. I was channel surfing
>during commercial time last night. I clicked on TLC I think. It was
>titled, "The man with an 80-pound groin." Oh man did I ever wish I
>didn't see that. After watching a few minutes and determining that it
>was a real medical show. I quickly switched to some other friendly
>channel, saying la la la la all the time.
>
>Anyway, the guy was arguing with his doctor who wanted to remove it.
>Other doctors years ago told him that he could easily die on the
>operating table so that's why he put it off so long.

Different guy apparently. On TV last night was surgery for The Man
with the 132 pound scrotum.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4966973.html
Janet US

Ophelia[_14_] 06-10-2015 06:02 PM

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 08:24:39 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Janet B wrote:

>>> gimme a break! Really?

>>On a somewhat related but very disturbing note. I was channel surfing
>>during commercial time last night. I clicked on TLC I think. It was
>>titled, "The man with an 80-pound groin." Oh man did I ever wish I
>>didn't see that. After watching a few minutes and determining that it
>>was a real medical show. I quickly switched to some other friendly
>>channel, saying la la la la all the time.
>>
>>Anyway, the guy was arguing with his doctor who wanted to remove it.
>>Other doctors years ago told him that he could easily die on the
>>operating table so that's why he put it off so long.

> Different guy apparently. On TV last night was surgery for The Man
> with the 132 pound scrotum.
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4966973.html

Please tell me they are not showing a picture of his scrotum???

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

dsi1[_17_] 06-10-2015 06:25 PM

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 11:55:36 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-10-05 5:48 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>

> > "Sadly, the early name "cod pieces" failed to stick, though perhaps it's
> > for the best"
> >

> LOL. Sadly, only drama or history buffs would know what a cod piece is.

Everybody knows that a cod piece is what some unsavory bottom-feeding shady fishes carry when they feel the need to pack some heat.

dsi1[_17_] 06-10-2015 06:25 PM

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 7:02:17 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Janet B" > wrote in message

> >>On a somewhat related but very disturbing note. I was channel surfing
> >>during commercial time last night. I clicked on TLC I think. It was
> >>titled, "The man with an 80-pound groin." Oh man did I ever wish I
> >>didn't see that. After watching a few minutes and determining that it
> >>was a real medical show. I quickly switched to some other friendly
> >>channel, saying la la la la all the time.
> >>
> >>Anyway, the guy was arguing with his doctor who wanted to remove it.
> >>Other doctors years ago told him that he could easily die on the
> >>operating table so that's why he put it off so long.

> > Different guy apparently. On TV last night was surgery for The Man
> > with the 132 pound scrotum.
> > http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4966973.html

> Please tell me they are not showing a picture of his scrotum???
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Please tell me that they are! ;)

John Kuthe[_2_] 06-10-2015 06:55 PM

On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 12:04:27 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>A good read from one Felicity Cloake:
>
>"But whether they are served with hot sauce or ketchup, fish fingers are still fish in its least-threatening form, which may explain why they haven't caught on to the same extent in countries less squeamish about seafood, such as Spain or France. They were introduced to the UK market in 1955 with the sales pitch: "No bones, no waste, no smell, no fuss." They were an immediate hit, selling 600 tonnes in the first year. These days, the figure is closer to 28,000 tonnes, and Birds Eye, which brought them to this country from the United States, claims that three-quarters of us get their first taste of fish from a fish finger."

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...e-of-childhood

Fish do not have fingers. And chickens don't have nuggets either!!

John Kuthe...

Janet B 06-10-2015 07:14 PM

Fish Fingers' 60th Anniversary in the UK (Gdn)

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 18:02:03 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Janet B" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>On a somewhat related but very disturbing note. I was channel surfing
>>>during commercial time last night. I clicked on TLC I think. It was
>>>titled, "The man with an 80-pound groin." Oh man did I ever wish I
>>>didn't see that. After watching a few minutes and determining that it
>>>was a real medical show. I quickly switched to some other friendly
>>>channel, saying la la la la all the time.
>>>
>>>Anyway, the guy was arguing with his doctor who wanted to remove it.
>>>Other doctors years ago told him that he could easily die on the
>>>operating table so that's why he put it off so long.

>> Different guy apparently. On TV last night was surgery for The Man
>> with the 132 pound scrotum.
>> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4966973.html

>Please tell me they are not showing a picture of his scrotum???

Yes, of course. But probably not in the fashion you are imagining.
This was just a large thing on the operating table.
Janet US

Janet B 06-10-2015 07:19 PM

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 14:09:14 -0300, wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 09:29:26 -0600, Janet B >
>wrote:

>>>On a somewhat related but very disturbing note. I was channel surfing
>>>during commercial time last night. I clicked on TLC I think. It was
>>>titled, "The man with an 80-pound groin." Oh man did I ever wish I
>>>didn't see that. After watching a few minutes and determining that it
>>>was a real medical show. I quickly switched to some other friendly
>>>channel, saying la la la la all the time.
>>>
>>>Anyway, the guy was arguing with his doctor who wanted to remove it.
>>>Other doctors years ago told him that he could easily die on the
>>>operating table so that's why he put it off so long.

>>Different guy apparently. On TV last night was surgery for The Man
>>with the 132 pound scrotum.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4966973.html
>>Janet US

>Wow how sad that some surgeon didn't step in and do something for
>free, perhaps on condition he could be filmed for hospital case books
>or something.

Doctors did perform the surgery under those kind of circumstances. He
had no insurance and surgery/recovery was estimated at 1 million.
Unfortunately he was grossly obese, had diabetes and had several heart
events and had infections He died recently at 49.
Janet US

Ophelia[_14_] 06-10-2015 08:15 PM

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 18:02:03 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Janet B" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Different guy apparently. On TV last night was surgery for The Man
>>> with the 132 pound scrotum.
>>> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4966973.html

>>Please tell me they are not showing a picture of his scrotum???

> Yes, of course. But probably not in the fashion you are imagining.
> This was just a large thing on the operating table.

More than enough for the imagination to cope with ... <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_14_] 06-10-2015 08:17 PM

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 7:02:17 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > Different guy apparently. On TV last night was surgery for The Man
>> > with the 132 pound scrotum.
>> > http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4966973.html

>> Please tell me they are not showing a picture of his scrotum???
>>

> Please tell me that they are! ;)

Not I, but I leave you to your strange predilections ... and hope you are
not disappointed!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Jeßus[_50_] 06-10-2015 08:21 PM

Fish Fingers' 60th Anniversary in the UK (Gdn)

On Mon, 05 Oct 2015 19:58:57 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 22:45:19 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>>says...

>>> It figures that you think fish fingers can only be highly processed
>>> cheap crap. They don't have to be, you know.

>> The fish in Birds Eye UK fish fingers, is 100% cod fillet.
>> The coating is breadcrumbs.
>>
>> I served them to my grandchildren last week for their tea, baked in
>>the oven, with cheesy potato (some left over mashed potato, sprinkled
>>with grated cheddar and baked till golden); peas, and fresh tomatoes.

>Cheese with fish is DIS-GUSTING!

Gruyčre with lobster is disgusting? Then again, you think lamb is
disgusting, so your opinion is invalid <G>.

Mirrror of TrVth 06-10-2015 08:25 PM

On 10/5/2015 10:10 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Cod is such a large-grained fish

And you're such a small-grained attention whore.

Jeßus[_50_] 06-10-2015 08:26 PM

Fish Fingers' 60th Anniversary in the UK (Gdn)

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 12:14:29 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

>On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 18:02:03 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>>"Janet B" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Different guy apparently. On TV last night was surgery for The Man
>>> with the 132 pound scrotum.
>>> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4966973.html

>>Please tell me they are not showing a picture of his scrotum???

>Yes, of course. But probably not in the fashion you are imagining.
>This was just a large thing on the operating table.

The guy could recover his medical costs by getting his scrotum made
into luggage. Donald Trump would love a new bag for his golf clubs.