Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mold on bakery bread

On 10/1/2015 9:58 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> There was recently another mold thread but tonight I shopped and
> while in checkout I saw mold on some rolls from the bakery
> section. I don't think I'll be buying anything made "fresh in the
> store"
> or whatever they were advertising. Yuck.

Wow.

That's discouraging.

Don't they have "best by" dates on the wrapping?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 8:58:06 PM UTC-7, Cheryl wrote:
> There was recently another mold thread but tonight I shopped and
> while in checkout I saw mold on some rolls from the bakery
> section. I don't think I'll be buying anything made "fresh in the
> store"
> or whatever they were advertising. Yuck.

Another thing to watch for is shredded cheese. A kindly cashier saved
me from buying a big bag I was taking to a make-a-pizza party.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/1/2015 11:58 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> There was recently another mold thread but tonight I shopped and
> while in checkout I saw mold on some rolls from the bakery
> section. I don't think I'll be buying anything made "fresh in the
> store"
> or whatever they were advertising. Yuck.

Sounds like carelessness as it usually takes many days for mold to show
up. Most in-store bakeries move stuff out after 2 days. Hope you let a
manager know so he can correct it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I once saw mold on some pumpkin pies in the in-store bakery....the
employee to whom I showed it was mortified and immediately removed
all of them.

Stuff happens.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> I once saw mold on some pumpkin pies in the in-store bakery....the
> employee to whom I showed it was mortified and immediately removed
> all of them.
>
> Stuff happens.

I bought a very fresh and soft pack of 8 hamburger buns about 3 days
ago. Exp date was Oct 15. 2 days later, I saw green mold on them.
arrghh! Very rare occurance though. This is the first time I've had
mold on bread in years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

>There was recently another mold thread but tonight I shopped and
> while in checkout I saw mold on some rolls from the bakery
> section. I don't think I'll be buying anything made "fresh in the
> store" or whatever they were advertising. Yuck.

Typically stupidmarkets bake in-store but the bread is made up
elsewhere and frozen... probably was old when shipped to the store.
Very few stupidmarkets bake anything from scratch, so those working
the baked goods section are not bakers, typically low paid emplyees
who don't know about safe food handling, like don't wash after using
the terlit, probably can't read that sign about washing. I suggest
shopping elsewhere.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 10:07:36 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>Cheryl wrote:
>>
>>There was recently another mold thread but tonight I shopped and
>> while in checkout I saw mold on some rolls from the bakery
>> section. I don't think I'll be buying anything made "fresh in the
>> store" or whatever they were advertising. Yuck.

>Typically stupidmarkets bake in-store but the bread is made up
>elsewhere and frozen... probably was old when shipped to the store.
>Very few stupidmarkets bake anything from scratch, so those working
>the baked goods section are not bakers, typically low paid emplyees
>who don't know about safe food handling, like don't wash after using
>the terlit, probably can't read that sign about washing. I suggest
>shopping elsewhere.

As a baker, I resent your ignorance ShelDUM!! How "from stratch" does
something have to be to satisfy your curmudgeonly sense of "No one
does anything as good as *I* do it"? Do you grow and mill your own
wheat?

I suspect you have a tad of Narcissitic Personality Disorder!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 23:58:13 -0400 (EDT), Cheryl
> wrote:

>There was recently another mold thread but tonight I shopped and
> while in checkout I saw mold on some rolls from the bakery
> section. I don't think I'll be buying anything made "fresh in the
> store" or whatever they were advertising. Yuck.

I suspect it may be that the moving away from using a lot of
preservatives (which it what people seem to want) may be causing this
"sudden" food spoilage!! Which do we want? Pure wholesome foods with
no preservatives, no artifical anything and have the mold and bacteria
love our foods too, or?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/2/2015 10:07 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Typically stupidmarkets bake in-store but the bread is made up
> elsewhere and frozen... probably was old when shipped to the store.
> Very few stupidmarkets bake anything from scratch, so those working
> the baked goods section are not bakers, typically low paid emplyees

Stop & Shop just puts the frozen stuff in the oven as you state. Only
thing they do is write names on birthday cakes. Most of the stuff is ok,
but not the best around.

Price Chopper has a real bakery, mixing machines and oven. Decent stuff
for the most part.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 10:57:42 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 10/2/2015 10:07 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>

>> Typically stupidmarkets bake in-store but the bread is made up
>> elsewhere and frozen... probably was old when shipped to the store.
>> Very few stupidmarkets bake anything from scratch, so those working
>> the baked goods section are not bakers, typically low paid emplyees

>Stop & Shop just puts the frozen stuff in the oven as you state. Only
>thing they do is write names on birthday cakes. Most of the stuff is ok,
>but not the best around.
>
>Price Chopper has a real bakery, mixing machines and oven. Decent stuff
>for the most part.

Even "real bakeries" use bagged mixes. Panera/STL Bread Co mixes their
doughs in what they call FDFs or Fresh Dough Facilities then send the
finished scaled off dough to local cafes to be baked off.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> I once saw mold on some pumpkin pies in the in-store bakery....the
> employee to whom I showed it was mortified and immediately removed
> all of them.
>
> Stuff happens.
>
> N.

I ordered a dessert at a restaurant, I think it was some kind of pie,
and it came with visible mold right on top. Haven't been back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 16:54:21 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

>Nancy2 wrote:
>> I once saw mold on some pumpkin pies in the in-store bakery....the
>> employee to whom I showed it was mortified and immediately removed
>> all of them.
>>
>> Stuff happens.
>>
>> N.

>I ordered a dessert at a restaurant, I think it was some kind of pie,
>and it came with visible mold right on top. Haven't been back.

Lot of sugars in a pie. My homemade pies used to mold up pretty
quickly. (No I did NOT refrigerate them!)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/1/2015 10:37 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> it means they have a really dirty
> bakery

>> Omelet wrote:

>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/2/2015 8:07 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Typically stupidmarkets bake

Where do YOU shop, little man?

A 7-11?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 10:57:42 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 10/2/2015 10:07 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>

>> Typically stupidmarkets bake in-store but the bread is made up
>> elsewhere and frozen... probably was old when shipped to the store.
>> Very few stupidmarkets bake anything from scratch, so those working
>> the baked goods section are not bakers, typically low paid emplyees

>Stop & Shop just puts the frozen stuff in the oven as you state. Only
>thing they do is write names on birthday cakes. Most of the stuff is ok,
>but not the best around.
>
>Price Chopper has a real bakery, mixing machines and oven. Decent stuff
>for the most part.

The Price Chopper bakeries are excellent, everything from scratch, no
mixes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 23:58:13 -0400 (EDT), Cheryl
> wrote:

>There was recently another mold thread but tonight I shopped and
> while in checkout I saw mold on some rolls from the bakery
> section. I don't think I'll be buying anything made "fresh in the
> store" or whatever they were advertising. Yuck.

Better that you can at least see it.

I was buying bread at my local TJ's, and it got home OK but seemed to
be growing moldy in just two or three days, when generally I expect at
least four or five. Had this across several products that I'd often
bought in the past without such problems.

I suspect the cause was they were staging the racks out in the loading
dock during hot weather, and leaving it out there for hours.

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/2/2015 5:35 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I was at Walmart the other day and noticed

**** off.

No one cares.

Leave.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 18:35:30 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 22:43:23 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 8:58:06 PM UTC-7, Cheryl wrote:
>>> There was recently another mold thread but tonight I shopped and
>>> while in checkout I saw mold on some rolls from the bakery
>>> section. I don't think I'll be buying anything made "fresh in the
>>> store"
>>> or whatever they were advertising. Yuck.

>> Another thing to watch for is shredded cheese. A kindly cashier saved
>> me from buying a big bag I was taking to a make-a-pizza party.

>I was at Walmart the other day and noticed that half the selection of
>Kraft shredded mozzarella was moldy and didn't expire for another
>month. Walmart probably left them unrefrigerated for a week or so for
>that to happen. It's not the first time their coolers weren't working
>and nobody noticed for several days.

Yah, I was at Ralphs the other day and asked if they had any turkey
breast, since I didn't see any displayed. "Oh, the cooler in back
went bad, and I guess we threw it all away," some employee told me.

Well good, I've had trouble (years ago) with this same store, I bought
some meat that looked fine at the time, but went really bad within 24
hours in my fridge at home. I've seldom bought meat there since, and
make sure to cook it immediately when I do.

Another (newer and larger) Ralphs store about a mile away had it on
the shelf, no problem.

--

Given the antifungals on the cheese, to have it bad in the store is
really something. OTOH I've never bought a food product at Walmart.

Like they have food products, names or no-names, at the 99 cent store,
and I love going in there for other kinds of junk, but food?

J.

>-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > Wrote in message:
> On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 23:58:13 -0400 (EDT), Cheryl wrote:
>
>> There was recently another mold thread but tonight I shopped and
>> while in checkout I saw mold on some rolls from the bakery
>> section. I don't think I'll be buying anything made "fresh in the
>> store"
>> or whatever they were advertising. Yuck.

> Our in-store bakery expires their items in 48 hours. If baked good
> mold in that time or even 4 days, it means they have a really dirty
> bakery that needs serious cleaning.
>
> -sw

It was dated the same day. They usually put anything getting close
to expiration on a special rack. We've been getting a lot of rain
but I wouldn't think that condition applies to stores if it was
supposedly just baked. Maybe in wrong but I'll be looking closer
at bakery items.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski > Wrote in message:
> On 10/1/2015 11:58 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> There was recently another mold thread but tonight I shopped and
>> while in checkout I saw mold on some rolls from the bakery
>> section. I don't think I'll be buying anything made "fresh in the
>> store"
>> or whatever they were advertising. Yuck.
>>

> Sounds like carelessness as it usually takes many days for mold to show
> up. Most in-store bakeries move stuff out after 2 days. Hope you let a
> manager know so he can correct it.

I wish I did. The cashier said to bring it to customer service but
while he was checking out my purchases we were talking and I
forgot. He set it aside so I'm hoping no one put it back in the
bakery. Dang that wasn't good.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle > Wrote in message:
> Nancy2 wrote:
>> I once saw mold on some pumpkin pies in the in-store bakery....the
>> employee to whom I showed it was mortified and immediately removed
>> all of them.
>>
>> Stuff happens.
>>
>> N.

> I ordered a dessert at a restaurant, I think it was some kind of pie,
> and it came with visible mold right on top. Haven't been back.

Ewwww

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/2/2015 9:29 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> Sqwertz > Wrote in message:
>> On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 23:58:13 -0400 (EDT), Cheryl wrote:
>>
>>> There was recently another mold thread but tonight I shopped and
>>> while in checkout I saw mold on some rolls from the bakery
>>> section. I don't think I'll be buying anything made "fresh in the
>>> store"
>>> or whatever they were advertising. Yuck.

>> Our in-store bakery expires their items in 48 hours. If baked good
>> mold in that time or even 4 days, it means they have a really dirty
>> bakery that needs serious cleaning.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> It was dated the same day. They usually put anything getting close
> to expiration on a special rack. We've been getting a lot of rain
> but I wouldn't think that condition applies to stores if it was
> supposedly just baked. Maybe in wrong but I'll be looking closer
> at bakery items.

\|||/
(o o)
,---ooO--(_)--------.
| |
| Please don't |
|feed the Sqwerty & |
| Marty TROLLS! |
| |
`-------------ooO---'
|__|__|
|| ||
ooO Ooo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JRStern" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 18:35:30 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:

>>> Another thing to watch for is shredded cheese. A kindly cashier saved
>>> me from buying a big bag I was taking to a make-a-pizza party.

>>I was at Walmart the other day and noticed that half the selection of
>>Kraft shredded mozzarella was moldy and didn't expire for another
>>month. Walmart probably left them unrefrigerated for a week or so for
>>that to happen. It's not the first time their coolers weren't working
>>and nobody noticed for several days.

> Yah, I was at Ralphs the other day and asked if they had any turkey
> breast, since I didn't see any displayed. "Oh, the cooler in back
> went bad, and I guess we threw it all away," some employee told me.
>
> Well good, I've had trouble (years ago) with this same store, I bought
> some meat that looked fine at the time, but went really bad within 24
> hours in my fridge at home. I've seldom bought meat there since, and
> make sure to cook it immediately when I do.
>
> Another (newer and larger) Ralphs store about a mile away had it on
> the shelf, no problem.
>
> --
>
> Given the antifungals on the cheese, to have it bad in the store is
> really something. OTOH I've never bought a food product at Walmart.
>
> Like they have food products, names or no-names, at the 99 cent store,
> and I love going in there for other kinds of junk, but food?
>
> J.

I buy mozzarella etc for cooking in a block and grate it myself. If I grate
too much I freeze it.

Saves any going mouldy and I certainly don't fancy 'antifungals' on my
cheese!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> I buy mozzarella etc for cooking in a block and grate it myself. If I grate
> too much I freeze it.

That's the way to go with mozzarella. I'll have to start buying it
that way again. I'm surprised that *you* don't make your own though. I
used to and it's not very hard to do. At least I don't think it
is...it's been about 30 years now since I've made it.

> Saves any going mouldy and I certainly don't fancy 'antifungals' on my
> cheese!

I do have some shredded in my freezer so I looked at the ingredients.
Sure enough, it has a mold inhibitor (natamycin) and also don't forget
the cellulose powder (normally wood pulp) to prevent caking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

Gary:
> >I'm surprised that *you* don't make your own though. I
> >used to and it's not very hard to do. At least I don't think it
> >is...it's been about 30 years now since I've made it.

> Did you make it from cow or buffalo milk?

I've never seen buffalo milk. ta-tanka
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> I buy mozzarella etc for cooking in a block and grate it myself. If I
>> grate
>> too much I freeze it.

> That's the way to go with mozzarella. I'll have to start buying it
> that way again. I'm surprised that *you* don't make your own though. I
> used to and it's not very hard to do. At least I don't think it
> is...it's been about 30 years now since I've made it.

I have made it in the past but not for many years. I didn't have time to do
all that stuff when I was working and when I retired - I retired a bit early
because D was doing contract work so I could travel with him and although
he is retired now, we still go down to Yorkshire quite a lot. I suspect
once Winter really settles in I will be home a lot more and then I can
really get stuck in to my old cooking stuff) I am looking forward to it

I have been making my own curds and cottage cheese already and I just might
start doing others again too.

>> Saves any going mouldy and I certainly don't fancy 'antifungals' on my
>> cheese!

> I do have some shredded in my freezer so I looked at the ingredients.
> Sure enough, it has a mold inhibitor (natamycin) and also don't forget
> the cellulose powder (normally wood pulp) to prevent caking.

??? and you EAT that stuff???

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 03 Oct 2015 07:21:30 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Bruce wrote:
>>>

>>Gary:
>>>
>>> Did you make it from cow or buffalo milk?

>>I've never seen buffalo milk. ta-tanka

> Me neither, but original mozzarella's made with it. You can really
> taste the difference.

It does indeed, but I couldn't find it here either. Since I wouldn't be
eating it fresh, I would be happy to make it with cows milk for use in
cooking.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> > I do have some shredded in my freezer so I looked at the ingredients.
> > Sure enough, it has a mold inhibitor (natamycin) and also don't forget
> > the cellulose powder (normally wood pulp) to prevent caking.

> ??? and you EAT that stuff???

Yes, I do. I also oddly sleep with ferret.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/2/2015 12:37 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 23:58:13 -0400 (EDT), Cheryl wrote:
>
>> There was recently another mold thread but tonight I shopped and
>> while in checkout I saw mold on some rolls from the bakery
>> section. I don't think I'll be buying anything made "fresh in the
>> store"
>> or whatever they were advertising. Yuck.

> Our in-store bakery expires their items in 48 hours. If baked good
> mold in that time or even 4 days, it means they have a really dirty
> bakery that needs serious cleaning.

I happened to be in your favorite market known to be pricey
and needed a loaf of sandwich bread. Not something I ever
buy there.

You could see right through the bag that all the loaves
had green mold. Weird.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Oct 2015 00:13:06 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>> Another thing to watch for is shredded cheese. A kindly cashier saved
>>> me from buying a big bag I was taking to a make-a-pizza party.

>> I was at Walmart the other day and noticed that half the selection of
>> Kraft shredded mozzarella was moldy and didn't expire for another
>> month. Walmart probably left them unrefrigerated for a week or so for
>> that to happen. It's not the first time their coolers weren't working
>> and nobody noticed for several days.

>I have read reports on Facebook of moldy cheese here but not at Walmart.
>All it takes is one idiot customer to ditch the cheese in some other part of
>the store and then a well meaning customer or idiot clerk putting it back.
>If it has been warm for too long, that can happen.

That's common with meats too. That's why I've suggested a temperature
tracker be included in each perishables package. It would only add a
penny or two to the price. When I used to get cat insulin delivered
it was sent iced and included the temperature tracker, a small plastic
strip that would change color if the temperature went higher than it
should. I checked into those temperature trackers as I was curious,
it had a web site on it, they are available for many different
temperatures and uses, very inexpensive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/3/2015 3:13 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I have read reports on Facebook of moldy cheese here but not at Walmart.
> All it takes is one idiot customer to ditch the cheese in some other
> part of the store and then a well meaning customer or idiot clerk
> putting it back. If it has been warm for too long, that can happen.

I don't know about WalMart since I've never bought groceries there. But
I have seen things people have taken out of their carts and just stuck
on some shelf rather than put it back where they got it. When I find
things like that I give it to a clerk. What they do with it afterwards
is out of my control.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/3/2015 8:16 AM, Gary wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" wrote:
>>> I do have some shredded in my freezer so I looked at the ingredients.
>>> Sure enough, it has a mold inhibitor (natamycin) and also don't forget
>>> the cellulose powder (normally wood pulp) to prevent caking.

>> ??? and you EAT that stuff???

> Yes, I do. I also oddly sleep with ferret.

And for some reason you think that endlessly repeating that here buys
you...what?

Pity?

You are a pathetic excuse for man, aren't you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" wrote:
>> > I do have some shredded in my freezer so I looked at the ingredients.
>> > Sure enough, it has a mold inhibitor (natamycin) and also don't forget
>> > the cellulose powder (normally wood pulp) to prevent caking.

>> ??? and you EAT that stuff???

> Yes, I do. I also oddly sleep with ferret.

The ferret I can understand .. that stuff on your cheese .. nah

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Nancy2 wrote:
> >
> > I once saw mold on some pumpkin pies in the in-store bakery....the
> > employee to whom I showed it was mortified and immediately removed
> > all of them.
> >
> > Stuff happens.

> I bought a very fresh and soft pack of 8 hamburger buns about 3 days
> ago. Exp date was Oct 15. 2 days later, I saw green mold on them.
> arrghh! Very rare occurance though. This is the first time I've had
> mold on bread in years.

I have to giggle a little. I make all our bread so unless it gets
tucked in the fridge, mold in 3-5 days isn't uncommon if there is anly
left. I don't have any preservatives in there.