Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Universal sous vide controller

I occurs to me, a temperature controller connected to an AC switch
would be perfect for creating a poor man's sous vide device. For
instance:

http://tinyurl.com/q87bjoa

I can see hooking this controller up to a crock-pot or a countertop
roasting oven or a large deep-fry (Grand Pappy) device to make it a
sous vide cooker. Strangely, no-one seems to be making such a device.
Well, until now. Even this controller (see above link) did not exist
on Amazon two weeks ago.

I talked to Thermoworks (Thermapen) about it and they gave me a dozen
reasons why they are not likely to create such a controller
(i.e. price point, liability, etc), none of which made any sense, to
me.

I'm dinking around in my barely viable workshop to create such a
controller. Would anyone, here, be interested? Not in buying from
me, jes "interested", in such a controller device.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 11:51:11 AM UTC-7, notbob wrote:
> I occurs to me, a temperature controller connected to an AC switch
> would be perfect for creating a poor man's sous vide device. For
> instance:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/q87bjoa
>
> I can see hooking this controller up to a crock-pot or a countertop
> roasting oven or a large deep-fry (Grand Pappy) device to make it a
> sous vide cooker. Strangely, no-one seems to be making such a device.
> Well, until now. Even this controller (see above link) did not exist
> on Amazon two weeks ago.
>
> I talked to Thermoworks (Thermapen) about it and they gave me a dozen
> reasons why they are not likely to create such a controller
> (i.e. price point, liability, etc), none of which made any sense, to
> me.
>
> I'm dinking around in my barely viable workshop to create such a
> controller. Would anyone, here, be interested? Not in buying from
> me, jes "interested", in such a controller device.
>
> nb

If you do come up with one that works I'll bet you could sell it to Thermoworks !

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 11:51:11 AM UTC-7, notbob wrote:
> I occurs to me, a temperature controller connected to an AC switch
> would be perfect for creating a poor man's sous vide device. For
> instance:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/q87bjoa
>
> I can see hooking this controller up to a crock-pot or a countertop
> roasting oven or a large deep-fry (Grand Pappy) device to make it a
> sous vide cooker. Strangely, no-one seems to be making such a device.
> Well, until now. Even this controller (see above link) did not exist
> on Amazon two weeks ago.
>
> I talked to Thermoworks (Thermapen) about it and they gave me a dozen
> reasons why they are not likely to create such a controller
> (i.e. price point, liability, etc), none of which made any sense, to
> me.
>
> I'm dinking around in my barely viable workshop to create such a
> controller. Would anyone, here, be interested? Not in buying from
> me, jes "interested", in such a controller device.
>
> nb

Be sure to copywrite it and patent it first, though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 3:00:22 PM UTC-4, ImStillMags wrote:

> Be sure to copywrite it and patent it first, though.

Not patentable.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Sep 2015 18:51:06 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I occurs to me, a temperature controller connected to an AC switch
>would be perfect for creating a poor man's sous vide device. For
>instance:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/q87bjoa
>
>I can see hooking this controller up to a crock-pot or a countertop
>roasting oven or a large deep-fry (Grand Pappy) device to make it a
>sous vide cooker. Strangely, no-one seems to be making such a device.
>Well, until now. Even this controller (see above link) did not exist
>on Amazon two weeks ago.
>
>I talked to Thermoworks (Thermapen) about it and they gave me a dozen
>reasons why they are not likely to create such a controller
>(i.e. price point, liability, etc), none of which made any sense, to
>me.
>
>I'm dinking around in my barely viable workshop to create such a
>controller. Would anyone, here, be interested? Not in buying from
>me, jes "interested", in such a controller device.
>
>nb

Yeah, that's basicallly what I helped Bryan make to rig up a sous vide
cooker with one oif those electric turkey roasting pans.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in :

> I occurs to me, a temperature controller connected to an AC switch
> would be perfect for creating a poor man's sous vide device. For
> instance:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/q87bjoa
>
> I can see hooking this controller up to a crock-pot or a countertop
> roasting oven or a large deep-fry (Grand Pappy) device to make it a
> sous vide cooker. Strangely, no-one seems to be making such a device.
> Well, until now. Even this controller (see above link) did not exist
> on Amazon two weeks ago.
>
> I talked to Thermoworks (Thermapen) about it and they gave me a dozen
> reasons why they are not likely to create such a controller
> (i.e. price point, liability, etc), none of which made any sense, to
> me.
>
> I'm dinking around in my barely viable workshop to create such a
> controller. Would anyone, here, be interested? Not in buying from
> me, jes "interested", in such a controller device.
>
> nb

They _are_ available. I went looking for one with the same idea you have a
while back before I surrendered and bought my sous vide circulator. Of
course, I don't remeber where I found it after all this time, but I believe
it was associated with a cooling controller for beer kegs.

Just to toss this out there, one of the things the sous vide machine makers
tout is the circulator that keeps the water in the bath moving around.
That's supposed to be a part of the process, and the home brew methods
being discussed here don't feature circulation. Circulation may or may not
be a requirement for good sous vide cooking. I personally have no idea.
But it's something to consider.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> http://tinyurl.com/q87bjoa
>
> I can see hooking this controller up to a crock-pot or a countertop
> roasting oven or a large deep-fry (Grand Pappy) device to make it a
> sous vide cooker....

This controller only handles 5 amps AC. A sous vide controller needs to
handle at least double that.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/30/15 2:22 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
>> ....Circulation may or may not

> be a requirement for good sous vide cooking. I personally have no idea.

It is.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alan Holbrook" > wrote in message
. 130...
> notbob > wrote in
> :
>
>> I occurs to me, a temperature controller connected to an AC switch
>> would be perfect for creating a poor man's sous vide device. For
>> instance:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/q87bjoa
>>
>> I can see hooking this controller up to a crock-pot or a countertop
>> roasting oven or a large deep-fry (Grand Pappy) device to make it a
>> sous vide cooker. Strangely, no-one seems to be making such a device.
>> Well, until now. Even this controller (see above link) did not exist
>> on Amazon two weeks ago.
>>
>> I talked to Thermoworks (Thermapen) about it and they gave me a dozen
>> reasons why they are not likely to create such a controller
>> (i.e. price point, liability, etc), none of which made any sense, to
>> me.
>>
>> I'm dinking around in my barely viable workshop to create such a
>> controller. Would anyone, here, be interested? Not in buying from
>> me, jes "interested", in such a controller device.
>>
>> nb

> They _are_ available. I went looking for one with the same idea you have
> while back before I surrendered and bought my sous vide circulator. Of
> course, I don't remeber where I found it after all this time, but I
> believe
> it was associated with a cooling controller for beer kegs.
>
> Just to toss this out there, one of the things the sous vide machine
> makers
> tout is the circulator that keeps the water in the bath moving around.
> That's supposed to be a part of the process, and the home brew methods
> being discussed here don't feature circulation. Circulation may or may
> not
> be a requirement for good sous vide cooking. I personally have no idea.
> But it's something to consider.

Mine is a dedicated sous vide machine and the water doesn't circulate.

It is just like this one:

http://www.thehut.com/kitchen-applia...xs2wo ddt8Fmg

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/29/2015 11:52 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Even John Kuthe and Bryan posted his experiences about this before
> they both went boinkers.
>
> -sw

**** off and drop dead, you miserable group-killing dwarf.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/29/2015 1:06 PM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 3:00:22 PM UTC-4, ImStillMags wrote:
>>
>> Be sure to copywrite it and patent it first, though.

> Not patentable.
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

Bullshit lie!

One can apply for a utility or design patent.

You gave CRAP advice, you unhelpful ass!