Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Old fashioned elegant dining.

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I have posted about using coupons. I think a lot of people here and by
>> here
>> I mean in the parts of Washington where I live, do use them. But I
>> certainly do not use them all the time.

> Coupons aren't as good as they used to be but I still use them
> occasionally. My Sunday paper still carries 2-3 coupon sections each
> week. I cut out what I might use then actually use only a few of
> those. You can save some serious money sometimes, just not as often
> as in the past.
>
> Many coupons are only found online with the various companies these
> days. That's more time-consuming than I care to bother with though.

Yeah. Most of the stores have some that you can load to your smart phone.
I rarely find any of interest to me though. I do use Target's Cartwheel
when I am able to plan it out in advance and occasionally some of their
printable coupons. I find myself going there less and less now though. I
liked the grocery section when they first put it in but they keep changing
what they sell. I can still make a meal from what I buy there but I can
never count on them having what I want.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Why would she lie? She's not allergic to roses.

> Julie, asthma can be triggered by several factors but if being near a
> rose sets it off, she IS allergic to roses.

So you are trying to tell me that my nephew was allergic to exercise? And
that another kid that I used to know was allergic to the cold? I don't
think so. She and I have both had the skin prick testing. Neither of us
are allergic to roses.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"In The Beginning" Julie Bove wrote:

> Wow! A place like that would put me right off. I haven't gotten a menu in
> years with no prices. I would just order soup or salad, probably not eat it
> and get out out of there as quickly as I could. And then never go back!

LMAO! What a classic comment from you, Julie. I read it, loved it,
and LMAO. I just *knew* that you were looking at some serious trouble
for saying it. Time has proven me right. You seem to be handling all
the flak fairly well though. Well done!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 19:36:36 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>Today, I would probably swap menus but never go back to that place with
>sexist menus ever again. Point blank. I would never go back.

I would assume the reason the practice still exists is that is it
part of the whole "old fashioned" ambience of the place. That is why
people go there.

There are few who are more ardent or vocal feminists as I, and really,
this doesn't ring my chimes.

I would bet a decent sum that if price-printed menus were requested
for all guests, that they would appear at the table immediately.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 21, 2015 at 5:44:31 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

> The first veal chop I ever had was in a very elegant restaurant. It was
> delicious. I am still trying to find out how to do a crusted veal chop
> like that.

Don't crust it. For the "chop" buy the veal equivalent of a beef prime rib chop. Salt and pepper and cook it on the barbecue grill. Don't overcook. Delicious.

http://www.richardfisher.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 22/09/2015 7:55 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 9/22/2015 8:59 PM, cshenk wrote:
>>
>>> I grew up in a culture of sharing food. Don't worry, if there is
>>> someone new to this we explain it first and if we order appetizers, we
>>> offset so everyone gets a little taste of all the different types.
>>>
>>> Then depending on the type of cookery, main dishes might go in the
>>> center too and you snag a portion regardless of what you ordered. Your
>>> 'order'in places asiatic like that just mean your addition to the table.

>> We do that too. We order two or three appetizers for the four of us and
>> that is more than enough.
>>
>> I recall one night at a business dinner after a trade show. There were
>> at least six of us. We ordered one of each appetizer and it was enough
>> to feed all of us and we never got entrees.
>>

> I've often found while travelling that at dinner, 2 appetisers are
> sufficient rather than an app + entrée.

Do you ever do that here?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 8:54:24 AM UTC-4, Helpful person wrote:
> On Monday, September 21, 2015 at 5:44:31 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > The first veal chop I ever had was in a very elegant restaurant. It was
> > delicious. I am still trying to find out how to do a crusted veal chop
> > like that.

> Don't crust it. For the "chop" buy the veal equivalent of a beef prime rib chop. Salt and pepper and cook it on the barbecue grill. Don't overcook. Delicious.
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

Before seasoning rub the chop with oil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >> Why would she lie? She's not allergic to roses.

> > Julie, asthma can be triggered by several factors but if being near a
> > rose sets it off, she IS allergic to roses.

> So you are trying to tell me that my nephew was allergic to exercise? And
> that another kid that I used to know was allergic to the cold? I don't
> think so. She and I have both had the skin prick testing. Neither of us
> are allergic to roses.

I *SAID* asthma can be triggered by several factors. Allergic reaction
is only one. Exercise and breathing in cold air is another. Even
stress can sometimes trigger it. Look up asthma, read and learn.
I've got it and I do know what I'm talking about.

And BTW, allergies come and go. So your supposed skin prick test might
not even apply except for right then. I'll bet neither of you really
got a test for roses only. That would be only one of several million
skin-prick tests.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Why would she lie? She's not allergic to roses.

> Julie, asthma can be triggered by several factors but if being near a
> rose sets it off, she IS allergic to roses.

I have to agree. I have chronic asthma and various things can trigger it.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 9:36:20 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> I took my wife and another woman to dinner tonight to The Castle
> http://www.castlerestaurant.com/
>
> We've not been there for years and I sort of forgot how nice dining can
> be. We went not just to eat, but to socialize and it was perfect for
> it. No rushing, not a lot of noise. I made a reservation and the table
> was ready for us when we arrived a few minutes early.
>
> Little things make a difference. The hostess pulled the chair out to
> seat my wife, the table had some toasted bread and a cheese spread,
> butter on the bread plates and charger plates. Hardly ever see chargers
> any more.
>
> I did not realize it until after, the ladies menu did not have prices.
> Very few places do that. Both ladies were given a long stem rose too.
>
> We had appetizers and ordered a bottle of wine from an extensive list.
> The game special was antelope, but we did not order it..
>
> My friend ordered Steak Diane and it is prepared tableside. Yeah, a bit
> of a show, but nice to see. Good too. So were the desserts!
>
> It was a nice leisurely 2 1/2 hours.

HOw nice for you. I haven't seen a place like that in ages - guess I eat where the rest of les miserables go. Anyhow, I have to ask -- were there kids there? After that thread about checking for high chairs etc., I wonder what your place does about kids being brought in?
Did you notice?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 11:19:36 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> >I took my wife and another woman to dinner tonight to The Castle
> > http://www.castlerestaurant.com/
> >
> > We've not been there for years and I sort of forgot how nice dining can
> > be. We went not just to eat, but to socialize and it was perfect for it.
> > No rushing, not a lot of noise. I made a reservation and the table was
> > ready for us when we arrived a few minutes early.
> >
> > Little things make a difference. The hostess pulled the chair out to seat
> > my wife, the table had some toasted bread and a cheese spread, butter on
> > the bread plates and charger plates. Hardly ever see chargers any more.
> >
> > I did not realize it until after, the ladies menu did not have prices.
> > Very few places do that. Both ladies were given a long stem rose too.
> >
> > We had appetizers and ordered a bottle of wine from an extensive list. The
> > game special was antelope, but we did not order it..
> >
> > My friend ordered Steak Diane and it is prepared tableside. Yeah, a bit
> > of a show, but nice to see. Good too. So were the desserts!
> >
> > It was a nice leisurely 2 1/2 hours.

> Wow! A place like that would put me right off. I haven't gotten a menu in
> years with no prices. I would just order soup or salad, probably not eat it
> and get out out of there as quickly as I could. And then never go back!

Count this as one more sourgrapes retort.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Julie, asthma can be triggered by several factors but if being near a
>>> rose sets it off, she IS allergic to roses.

>> So you are trying to tell me that my nephew was allergic to exercise? And
>> that another kid that I used to know was allergic to the cold? I don't
>> think so. She and I have both had the skin prick testing. Neither of us
>> are allergic to roses.

> I *SAID* asthma can be triggered by several factors. Allergic reaction
> is only one. Exercise and breathing in cold air is another. Even
> stress can sometimes trigger it. Look up asthma, read and learn.
> I've got it and I do know what I'm talking about.
>
> And BTW, allergies come and go. So your supposed skin prick test might
> not even apply except for right then. I'll bet neither of you really
> got a test for roses only. That would be only one of several million
> skin-prick tests.

They're both hypochondriacs, plain and simple.
--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message ...

>>> So, taking something that you will know will cause you an asthma attack >> is
>>> ungrateful?

>> I don't believe your mother is allergic to roses one bit. That was
>> not the context in which you introduced the situation. You lie,
>> Julie.

> She's not allergic to them. I said that she wasn't. Allergies and
> asthma are not the same thing.

Whether it's "allergies" or "asthma" makes no difference. You're
strawmanning again.
--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 08:49:49 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 19:36:36 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>>Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>Today, I would probably swap menus but never go back to that place with
>>sexist menus ever again. Point blank. I would never go back.
>>

>I would assume the reason the practice still exists is that is it
>part of the whole "old fashioned" ambience of the place. That is why
>people go there.
>
>There are few who are more ardent or vocal feminists as I, and really,
>this doesn't ring my chimes.

snip

I've got the T-shirt too (literally) and the involvement. I still
see no need to harp on someone's enjoyment of an experience. There
are those here that enjoy taking the mickey out of certain posters and
that's their shtick. However, there is one person here who enjoys
negativity wrapped in supposed personal experience. That person has
no social graces at all and wolves would be ashamed to have raised
her.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 02:22:59 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>> But that was a part of something else. I have no clue what it was even
>>> in
>>> reference to.

>> That looks to be a pretty self-contained and concise statement. It
>> sums up everything you stand for even without your argument that it
>> wasn't in context.

>Well, no. I know that I would never have just made that post. That was
>obviously in relation to something else that someone said. But what, I
>don't know.

It was in reply to someone commenting about enjoying food. I remember
it well.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 20:54:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Doris Night" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 19:19:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>Why would she lie? She's not allergic to roses.

>> OK, she could say "Roses cause my asthma to flare up."
>>
>> It is an easily understandable reason for wishing the roses to go
>> away. It's a polite way to get out of a situation that could become
>> uncomfortable. It's a way of handling things so that others are not
>> embarrassed.

>Yeah, well maybe that is how you were raised to live your life. Clearly, I
>was not. That doesn't make my way wrong either.

We all have a pretty clear picture of where and how you were raised.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 03:20:25 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 15:15:09 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Like mother, like daughter. Ungratefulness at its finest.

>> So, taking something that you will know will cause you an asthma attack is
>> ungrateful?

>I don't believe your mother is allergic to roses one bit. That was
>not the context in which you introduced the situation. You lie,
>Julie.
>
>-sw

It was introduced in the context of her mother being for women's
rights, not asthma.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 20:55:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message

>>> Like mother, like daughter. Ungratefulness at its finest.
>>> --
>>> jinx the minx
>>>

>> High 5!!!

>Why would one be grateful for something they didn't want to begin with?

Right. I remember you recounting how you berated your mother for
giving you something for Christmas that you didn't like. What a
gracious recipient.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 00:09:04 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>>> Because a lot of females would be offended to see a menu like that. And
>>> some males would too! I can remember my dad complaining bitterly about
>>> some place that he took my mom to that had no prices on the women's
>>> menu. Stuff like that just doesn't go over very well here. And by
>>> here, I mean any place I have lived in Washington state.

>> It is nut just about gender, it is guest/host. I'd not take people to a
>> place if I didn't think I could afford it.

>That's pretty much what I said, Ed. In the case of your restaurant I'd
>say it has old world ambiance, good choice! I wouldn't take it
>personally or turn it into a feminist issue if I didn't get prices on my
>menu. I probably would have tried to find the menu and prices online
>before we went there.
>
>Some people seem to take exception. The words "Old fashioned" and
>"elegant" in the subject line are, to me, self-explanatory.
>
>Jill

Exactly
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>The style of dining they offer is rare these days too. Unless there is
>another generation to take over, it will probably be closed in a few
>years if the owner retires. How many places today will let you occupy a
>table for 2 1/2 hours?

Fast food joints I suppose... but I know of several very nice
restaurants on LI that don't mind how long you sit; several taverns
serve good food and people sit for hours after dinner boozing it up,
they make more profit on drinks than food. There are also several
fine dining restaurants that have a live band and a dance floor,
people stay until closing, some until the sun comes up. This was a
favorite:
http://www.soundviewrestaurant.com/home.cfm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 08:34:12 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 08:49:49 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 19:36:36 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>>
>>>Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>>Today, I would probably swap menus but never go back to that place with
>>>sexist menus ever again. Point blank. I would never go back.
>>>

>>I would assume the reason the practice still exists is that is it
>>part of the whole "old fashioned" ambience of the place. That is why
>>people go there.
>>
>>There are few who are more ardent or vocal feminists as I, and really,
>>this doesn't ring my chimes.

>snip
>
>I've got the T-shirt too (literally) and the involvement. I still
>see no need to harp on someone's enjoyment of an experience. There
>are those here that enjoy taking the mickey out of certain posters and
>that's their shtick. However, there is one person here who enjoys
>negativity wrapped in supposed personal experience. That person has
>no social graces at all and wolves would be ashamed to have raised
>her.
>Janet US

You just made me squirt coffee on my monitor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B > wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 20:55:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> > wrote in message

>>> High 5!!!

>> Why would one be grateful for something they didn't want to begin with?

> Right. I remember you recounting how you berated your mother for
> giving you something for Christmas that you didn't like. What a
> gracious recipient.
> Janet US

You must be taking that story out of context, Janet!
--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B > wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 03:20:25 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:

>>> So, taking something that you will know will cause you an asthma attack is
>>> ungrateful?

>> I don't believe your mother is allergic to roses one bit. That was
>> not the context in which you introduced the situation. You lie,
>> Julie.
>>
>> -sw

> It was introduced in the context of her mother being for women's
> rights, not asthma.
> Janet US

Perhaps she was trying to portray a woman's right to act like an ingrate.
--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2015 10:36 AM, Janet B wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 02:22:59 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> That looks to be a pretty self-contained and concise statement. It
>>> sums up everything you stand for even without your argument that it
>>> wasn't in context.

>> Well, no. I know that I would never have just made that post. That was
>> obviously in relation to something else that someone said. But what, I
>> don't know.

> It was in reply to someone commenting about enjoying food. I remember
> it well.

Ditto. That was a memorable comment. And there is no mitigating
it by claiming it was out of context, as has been said.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-23 8:54 AM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Monday, September 21, 2015 at 5:44:31 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> The first veal chop I ever had was in a very elegant restaurant. It was
>> delicious. I am still trying to find out how to do a crusted veal chop
>> like that.

> Don't crust it. For the "chop" buy the veal equivalent of a beef prime rib chop. Salt and pepper and cook it on the barbecue grill. Don't overcook. Delicious.

I have done that several times and they were always good. The thing is
that the first veal chop I ever had was crusted, and it was delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-23 9:47 AM, Kalmia wrote:

>>> It was a nice leisurely 2 1/2 hours.

>> Wow! A place like that would put me right off. I haven't gotten a menu in
>> years with no prices. I would just order soup or salad, probably not eat it
>> and get out out of there as quickly as I could. And then never go back!

> Count this as one more sourgrapes retort.

Let's be fair to her personality disorder. What would not put her right
off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2015 4:46 AM, Jeßus wrote:
> That is patently untrue Julie. I've never been to Washington. But I DO
> know enough to know millions of people live in the state of
> Washington. You've never mentioned anything about living in a remote
> area before (so we can discount that possibility). And you're trying
> to tell me there was only*one* gas station in your area? It's a
> ridiculous claim on the face of it.
>
> The nearest city to me is Launceston (population a mere 100,000), and
> there are at least 14 gas stations there... and that's just off the
> top of my head.

I live in a very small place. The nearest "city" (Beaufort) has a
population of maybe 13,000 people. You can't drive 2 miles without
seeing a gas station. Where I actually live (Saint Helena Island,
according to the US Post Office), there are two gas stations not even a
quart of a mile apart, just five miles from my house. She'll step up
now and say she wasn't in Bothell, she was somewhere else. I still
wouldn't believe there was only one gas station where she happened to be
at the time.

Doesn't matter. The fact that she had to stomp all over Ed's report of
a nice dinner in an elegant restaurant is par for the course.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2015 12:50 AM, Janet B wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 22:17:01 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 21:36:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>>> I took my wife and another woman to dinner tonight to The Castle
>>> http://www.castlerestaurant.com/

>> I was scratching my head wondering about "elegant, fine dining" when I
>> saw French fries and onion rings on the appetizer menu. But then I
>> saw escargot.. ;-)
>>
>> The whole lunch menu is kinda... odd. Shrimp and mussels are oysters,
>> squid is clams (they should just have a "Seafood" category). And
>> there's two pizzas - plain cheese or cheese and the "Topping du jour".
>> And while there are some sandwich wraps, I don't see any kaiser rolls!
>>
>> Anyway - I digress :-) The dinner menu looks very good and I'm sure
>> the food, service, and ambiance were great!
>>
>> -sw

> I think the second menu is there for diners that could not appreciate
> the first menu.
> Janet US

That would be my take on the reason for two menus. BTW, if Ed's wife
and their friend were *really* curious/concerned about the prices, they
are listed online.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 9:47:29 AM UTC-4, Kalmia wrote:
> On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 11:19:36 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

> > Wow! A place like that would put me right off. I haven't gotten a menu in
> > years with no prices. I would just order soup or salad, probably not eat it
> > and get out out of there as quickly as I could. And then never go back!

> Count this as one more sourgrapes retort.

I don't think she would recognize elegant if it genteelly smacked
her in the face with a white glove.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2015 12:37 PM, Roy wrote:
> Julie, please do not post of your likes and dislikes in food. We DON'T CARE.
> Please post recipes or new food product reviews or the
> weather or even politics but likes and dislikes are BORING.
> Everyone has their food preferences...variety is the spice
> of life but endless repetition of "ailments" and "can't
> eats" are not interesting.
> =====

I surely wish that message would get through. But hey, the trolls seem
to find her amusing so as long as they stand up for her point of view
and people keep replying to them. This is what we get.

Heaven forbid she not turn a post about a nice enjoyable meal into
something negative. (sigh)

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2015 12:54 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 9:47:29 AM UTC-4, Kalmia wrote:
>> On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 11:19:36 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Wow! A place like that would put me right off. I haven't gotten a menu in
>>> years with no prices. I would just order soup or salad, probably not eat it
>>> and get out out of there as quickly as I could. And then never go back!

>> Count this as one more sourgrapes retort.

> I don't think she would recognize elegant if it genteelly smacked
> her in the face with a white glove.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I'm literally LMAO! Thanks for that!

Jill <---owns some white gloves
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 10:02:36 AM UTC-4, Jinx the Minx wrote:
> Whether it's "allergies" or "asthma" makes no difference. You're
> strawmanning again.

I can guarantee she won't know what you mean.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 9:19:18 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove sputtered:

> I assume.

Assume. When you 'assume' it makes an
'ASS' out of 'U' but not 'ME.' Ass/u/me.

>It isn't pretty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 9:23:26 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> On 9/20/2015 11:44 PM, graham wrote:
>
> > On 20/09/2015 9:19 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> >> Wow! A place like that would put me right off. I haven't gotten a menu
> >> in years with no prices. I would just order soup or salad, probably not
> >> eat it and get out out of there as quickly as I could. And then never
> >> go back!

> > I've refrained from commenting in the past but really, what a dimwit you
> > are!
> > Graham

> Yeah, because they don't serve beans, rice and tortillas in such places.
>
> Jill

*SNORT!*