Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Old fashioned elegant dining.

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/20/2015 11:21 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> The restaurant has been around about 60 years and is still in the
>>> family. My guess is, change won't come easily. The owner is maybe 65
>>> or so but I don't know if there are other family members involved.

>> Personally, I wouldn't harrass them about it, but I wouldn't take many
>> female friends there either
>>

> Why? Is it important they know how much you are paying? If I was to
> return with guests I'm taking to dinner, I'd want everyone else to have no
> prices. Order and enjoy, don't worry about the cost, that is my job.

Because a lot of females would be offended to see a menu like that. And
some males would too! I can remember my dad complaining bitterly about some
place that he took my mom to that had no prices on the women's menu. Stuff
like that just doesn't go over very well here. And by here, I mean any
place I have lived in Washington state.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 06:10:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> Personally, I wouldn't harrass them about it, but I wouldn't take many
>>> female friends there either
>>>

>>Why? Is it important they know how much you are paying? If I was to
>>return with guests I'm taking to dinner, I'd want everyone else to have
>>no prices. Order and enjoy, don't worry about the cost, that is my job.

> It's a bit strange to treat men and women different. Unless it's an
> 1800s theme restaurant where men are kings and women are their
> ornamental poodles.

Indeed. Some restaurants here give out flowers to females on Mother's day
whether they are a mother or not. What do they give to males on Father's
day? Nothing. My mom hates flowers. My dad loved them. He would have
liked to get a flower. He never did.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/21/2015 7:50 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
>>> I think Ed knew the restaurant he was taking his wife and guest to,
>>> liked it and they all enjoyed it. I would not feel badly that I had a
>>> different menu but if I was taking a guest there, I would phone ahead
>>> and tell them I was the one who wanted to receive one with prices.
>>> That I want to be the one who receives the bill. No probs that I can
>>> see, I don't see it as a male/female issue but more payer and
>>> recipients.

>> The menu with prices goes to the man by default. A restaurant
>> shouldn't interfere like that. Or have such a gender bias.
>>

> You are really hung up on that.
>
> Yes, unless some arrangement is obvious, it does go to the man and 99% of
> the time is would be correct. No reason that the female host of a group
> cannot make it clear she is in charge, running the show, paying the bill.
> Takes but five seconds when you are greeted coming in the door.
>
> Old fashioned? Yes, but some of us still like to treat our wives and
> friends. If I invite a couple to dine with us, I make it clear to the
> staff that I'm the host and it has never been an issue. If any doubt on
> my part, I slip my CC to the waiter before the check comes.
>
> My simple rules for paying the check if there are two couples:
> I pay it all
> You pay it all
> We split it down the middle regardless of who had the extra drink or
> whatever.
>
> Thinking about it now, there are three women that sometimes go to the
> restaurants with us. In one case, I always pay, my choice. Another will
> always pay a third, the other either lets me pay or pays it all herself.

But some people prefer not to order very expensive food. I am one of those.
I don't care who is paying. If it's expensive, I won't be having it. And
without being able to see the prices, I wouldn't know this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> Not every woman's into women's lib. Some people prefer the old ways.
>>> The Amish, for instance.

>> Trust me, I was/am completely into women's lib - even served in the
>> 70s on the Task Force for Women, my main theme was getting equal
>> pensions or at least equal pension contributions for women. Just
>> today I really cut the dirt out from under one particular males feet
>> after he said 'Well I think you are wrong' and knowing I wasn't I told
>> him I didn't give a flying **** what he thought. Should have seen
>> him, I don't think he even realised I knew words like that
>>
>> I think Ed knew the restaurant he was taking his wife and guest to,
>> liked it and they all enjoyed it. I would not feel badly that I had a
>> different menu but if I was taking a guest there, I would phone ahead
>> and tell them I was the one who wanted to receive one with prices.
>> That I want to be the one who receives the bill. No probs that I can
>> see, I don't see it as a male/female issue but more payer and
>> recipients.
>>

> I know Bruce was not hitting me personally, but he seems to think giving a
> woman special attention somehow diminishes them.

It does.

> I know a few strong women that are equal to any guy in what they can
> accomplish. I've hired women and put them in jobs that were previously
> "male" positions (and paid them the same). I've yet to meet a woman that
> was insulted by a little attention. A little pampering. They will also
> put a guy in his place if they even hint that they are treating them as
> less than equal. I've seen them in action.

You haven't personally met me. I pamper myself. I don't need anyone else
to do it for me. And when I was dating, if the guy made a big deal to run
in front of me and open a door, that would be the end of my interest in him.
I'm more of the mindset of that whoever gets to the door first, should open
it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 21:36:10 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>>On 9/21/2015 7:23 PM, wrote:
>>
>>> Trust me, I was/am completely into women's lib - even served in the
>>> 70s on the Task Force for Women, my main theme was getting equal
>>> pensions or at least equal pension contributions for women. Just
>>> today I really cut the dirt out from under one particular males feet
>>> after he said 'Well I think you are wrong' and knowing I wasn't I told
>>> him I didn't give a flying **** what he thought. Should have seen
>>> him, I don't think he even realised I knew words like that
>>>
>>> I think Ed knew the restaurant he was taking his wife and guest to,
>>> liked it and they all enjoyed it. I would not feel badly that I had a
>>> different menu but if I was taking a guest there, I would phone ahead
>>> and tell them I was the one who wanted to receive one with prices.
>>> That I want to be the one who receives the bill. No probs that I can
>>> see, I don't see it as a male/female issue but more payer and
>>> recipients.
>>>

>>I know Bruce was not hitting me personally, but he seems to think giving
>>a woman special attention somehow diminishes them.

> What that restaurant does with their menus, isn't 'special attention'.
> It's patronizing.

It is. Right down to the giving of the rose. It's as though they are
implying that we poor little things haven't got enough money to buy our own.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/21/2015 9:38 PM, Bruce wrote:
>

>>> I know Bruce was not hitting me personally, but he seems to think giving
>>> a woman special attention somehow diminishes them.

>> What that restaurant does with their menus, isn't 'special attention'.
>> It's patronizing.
>>

> Thanks. I'll tell my wife and Susan they've been patronized. They'll get
> a laugh out of it.

Obviously there is a market for a place like that there. I don't think it
would go over very well here. Here being any place in Washington where I
have lived.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message

>>> What that restaurant does with their menus, isn't 'special attention'.
>>> It's patronizing.
>>>

>>Thanks. I'll tell my wife and Susan they've been patronized. They'll
>>get a laugh out of it.

> Maybe they're from a generation that likes to be patronized.

My mom is in her 80's. She is pretty much blind now so wouldn't be able to
tell that there were no prices on the menu. But if she knew it, she would
not like it. And the person who tried to hand her that rose would live to
regret it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Monday, September 21, 2015 at 3:10:37 AM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> > Personally, I wouldn't harrass them about it, but I wouldn't take many
>> > female friends there either
>> >

>> Why? Is it important they know how much you are paying? If I was to
>> return with guests I'm taking to dinner, I'd want everyone else to have
>> no prices. Order and enjoy, don't worry about the cost, that is my job.

> This is what I'm thinking. You are taking your guests out so that they
> can enjoy themselves. You don't want them picking the second cheapest
> item on the menu, just because they don't want to be a burden on you.
> You want them to order whatever they would enjoy eating.

Some people do not enjoy expensive things. I do enjoy *some* expensive
things. Like a really good pair of shoes or perfume. But food? Not so
much. I did go to a restaurant once where I did not have to pay. They
really had nothing on the menu that I wanted to eat because I am not a meat
lover. I really only wanted soup and salad but the host insisted that I
order a dinner. I chose the least expensive steak on the menu because I
really hate fish and chicken and there weren't any other options. I did not
want it at all and had to force myself to eat it. It may have been good. I
don't remember. I just remember with each bite, thinking about how much I
did not want to be eating it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 1:50:51 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
> > On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 10:20:28 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >> I could never enjoy any food from a place like that. I would feel so
> >> uncomfortable, all I would want to do would be leave!
> >>

> > That's why you're not invited out to eat in public. You
> > don't know how to behave or not act like a jerk.

> So you think it's okay to treat women like second class citizens?

Dipshit, where do you get the idea in this post from Ed
that women are being treated as second class citizens?

My original comment was directed to your dumbass and how you
would act if you were lucky enough to be taken out in public.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 1:53:33 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> The mere fact that they give women menus with no prices would put me off
> enough to not want anything to do with them. I shouldn't have to look at my
> husband's menu. Everyone should be the same. I would not want the rose
> either.

If someone should be stupid enough to treat your sorry butt
to dinner, why do YOU need to see the prices??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2015 2:53 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>> Of course you could ask for a menu with prices or look at the menu
>> your husband has. If you have guests you may not want them to see
>> prices, just as you would giving a wedding reception.

> The mere fact that they give women menus with no prices would put me off
> enough to not want anything to do with them. I shouldn't have to look
> at my husband's menu. Everyone should be the same. I would not want
> the rose either.

You should not be looking at your hosts menu, you just order as you
want. If you have guests at your house for dinner, do you put price
tags on the meal? Then why would you insist your guests at a restaurant
have them?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2015 3:11 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>> Why? Is it important they know how much you are paying? If I was to
>> return with guests I'm taking to dinner, I'd want everyone else to
>> have no prices. Order and enjoy, don't worry about the cost, that is
>> my job.

> Because a lot of females would be offended to see a menu like that. And
> some males would too! I can remember my dad complaining bitterly about
> some place that he took my mom to that had no prices on the women's
> menu. Stuff like that just doesn't go over very well here. And by
> here, I mean any place I have lived in Washington state.

It is nut just about gender, it is guest/host. I'd not take people to a
place if I didn't think I could afford it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 1:53:33 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> The mere fact that they give women menus with no prices would put me off
>> enough to not want anything to do with them. I shouldn't have to look at
>> my
>> husband's menu. Everyone should be the same. I would not want the rose
>> either.
>>

> If someone should be stupid enough to treat your sorry butt
> to dinner, why do YOU need to see the prices??

I have said it repeatedly. I find it rude to order the most expensive thing
on the menu. Someone *does* take me to lunch quite often. I order either
beans and rice, beans rice and tortillas or oatmeal and bacon. Once in a
while I will add a salad. Not usually.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/22/2015 2:53 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>>> Of course you could ask for a menu with prices or look at the menu
>>> your husband has. If you have guests you may not want them to see
>>> prices, just as you would giving a wedding reception.

>> The mere fact that they give women menus with no prices would put me off
>> enough to not want anything to do with them. I shouldn't have to look
>> at my husband's menu. Everyone should be the same. I would not want
>> the rose either.

> You should not be looking at your hosts menu, you just order as you want.
> If you have guests at your house for dinner, do you put price tags on the
> meal? Then why would you insist your guests at a restaurant have them?

But if I am dining out with my husband, *he* is not my host. In fact, when
we used to go out to eat, I always paid the bill. We have different
accounts and different things come from different accounts. Things have
changed now and he now usually pays when we go out. If I go out with my
friends, there is never a host. We each pay for our own. Exception being
when I had enough credit at Shari's to pay for our meals. In that case, I
did.

When the extended family gets together, we usually pay for our own. My mom
will give $20 towards the birthday person's meal if it is a birthday.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/22/2015 3:11 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>>> Why? Is it important they know how much you are paying? If I was to
>>> return with guests I'm taking to dinner, I'd want everyone else to
>>> have no prices. Order and enjoy, don't worry about the cost, that is
>>> my job.

>> Because a lot of females would be offended to see a menu like that. And
>> some males would too! I can remember my dad complaining bitterly about
>> some place that he took my mom to that had no prices on the women's
>> menu. Stuff like that just doesn't go over very well here. And by
>> here, I mean any place I have lived in Washington state.

> It is nut just about gender, it is guest/host. I'd not take people to a
> place if I didn't think I could afford it.

We just don't do things like that here. And here being anywhere I have
lived in Washington. And we meaning my friends and family. There is never
a host or a guest. We meet for dinner and pay our own share.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 6:09:49 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/22/2015 3:11 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> >

> >> Why? Is it important they know how much you are paying? If I was to
> >> return with guests I'm taking to dinner, I'd want everyone else to
> >> have no prices. Order and enjoy, don't worry about the cost, that is
> >> my job.

> > Because a lot of females would be offended to see a menu like that. And
> > some males would too! I can remember my dad complaining bitterly about
> > some place that he took my mom to that had no prices on the women's
> > menu. Stuff like that just doesn't go over very well here. And by
> > here, I mean any place I have lived in Washington state.

> It is nut just about gender, it is guest/host. I'd not take people to a
> place if I didn't think I could afford it.

It seems clear that Julie is not thinking about "guests" but mainly
about her and her spouse. That's quite a different case. When my
husband and I dine out (and we vanishingly rarely dine out with friends),
I'm usually the one pulling out my wallet at the end. It all comes from the
same bank account, and I'd get no particular "pampered" feeling from him
paying. I don't really have much of a concept of being pampered. Still,
that's my neurosis and good for your wife if she likes it (as she seems to do).

If we stumbled into a place that gave me a menu without prices, I'd probably
laugh about it and ask to switch with my husband.

Anyway, who can't tell what the relative prices are on a menu? I checked
out the menu at The Castle, and they really didn't seem all that high for
a special night out.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 00:23:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Maybe they're from a generation that likes to be patronized.

>>My mom is in her 80's. She is pretty much blind now so wouldn't be able
>>tell that there were no prices on the menu. But if she knew it, she would
>>not like it. And the person who tried to hand her that rose would live to
>>regret it.

> I guess most people don't take well to being patronized, whether
> they're old or young.

I would think not. My mom was and still is one of those militant feminists.
And yet, she makes weird exceptions. One being that she never pumped her
own gas. Moot point now since she no longer drives. But I suspect that had
more to do with something else. Her dad owned a gas station. So I think in
her mind, pumping gas was something she just would never do. She also grew
up on a farm so would never allow us to stop at a farm stand or buy stuff
from any place that had the word "farm" in the name. She would somehow
think that produce from the supermarket was far superior to that which was
bought from a farm.

And don't try to argue with her or think that what you might say will ever
make sense to her. I learned that with the bedding plants. When we first
moved back here, she insisted that I must buy my plants at this expensive
little nursery. I pointed out to her that the plants at Fred Meyer came
from exactly the same nurseries. This nursery that she was touting was not
one that grew their own things. I used to be the Garden Shop manager at K
Mart so I am very familiar with the nurseries that vend here and which ones
were good. She does love Fred Meyer but seemed to think that their plants
were inferior.

Now I also know that if you get those plants soon after they come off of the
truck, they should be fine no matter where you get them. And Fred Meyer
often advertises on the radio when they get a new shipment. So I had been
buying things there with no problems whatever. I had even bought things for
her that she had no problems with. She just didn't know that I had bought
them there. I also know that if people don't do upkeep with the plants,
they won't be so good. They need to be watered, rotated on the rack so that
each one gets sun, bad looking leaves picked off, etc. And that doesn't
always happen at a busy store.

So like a fool, I went with her to her favored nursery and bought what did
not look like good plants to me. And I paid a fortune for them. And they
quickly died! I even bought my daughter a toy in there and it turned out to
be defective. That nursery closed a few years ago. And every person I have
mentioned it to has told me that it was bad. But for some reason, my mom
thought it was wonderful. And nobody could tell her otherwise.

We also once had the salad fight. She sent my dad up to the store to get
some salad for dinner. And he came back with a couple of bags of salad mix.
She flipped out and told him that it was disgusting and he should have
bought the salad from the salad bar instead! I just looked at her and
blinked my eyes then said, "Where do you think they get the salad for the
salad bar from? Do you think they have a salad chef or something?" I did
win that one. My dad did go back to the store and showed her the receipt
from where he paid about 10 times the amount for some assorted greens.
After that, she started buying the bagged salad and no more was said about
it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 1:50:51 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message

>> > That's why you're not invited out to eat in public. You
>> > don't know how to behave or not act like a jerk.

>> So you think it's okay to treat women like second class citizens?
>>

> Dipshit, where do you get the idea in this post from Ed
> that women are being treated as second class citizens?

By giving them a menu with no prices.

> My original comment was directed to your dumbass and how you
> would act if you were lucky enough to be taken out in public.

Thankfully you will never know. I would never go anywhere near where you
are. You can't even act nice in your own home!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 03:58:21 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>>It seems clear that Julie is not thinking about "guests" but mainly
>>about her and her spouse. That's quite a different case. When my
>>husband and I dine out (and we vanishingly rarely dine out with friends),
>>I'm usually the one pulling out my wallet at the end. It all comes from
>>the
>>same bank account, and I'd get no particular "pampered" feeling from him
>>paying. I don't really have much of a concept of being pampered.

> I think it's not so much about pampering women, but about old
> fashioned men feeling like the king of the roost as they takes their
> poodle for a walk.

Exactly. For me, the term pampering conjures up a spa and although I have
never been to one, I never would go to one. All of those people doing
various things to me does not sound pleasant. I don't think I would like to
go to a massage therapist either. I did try a chiropractor. He caused
pain! I just used my shiatsu massager and put a warm pack over my eyes. I
am having quite the troubles here with my sinuses, skin and eyes from all of
the smoke that keeps coming into the area. I feel much better after having
done these things. But I am doing them to myself. Just like I have always
done my own nails. Now hair is another matter. I do my own coloring and
back when I had perms, I did those too. I won't cut my own hair though. I
am lousy at it. If it were not for that, I would do it myself. I freaking
hate having people mess with my hair.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-22 6:06 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> You should not be looking at your hosts menu, you just order as you
> want. If you have guests at your house for dinner, do you put price
> tags on the meal? Then why would you insist your guests at a restaurant
> have them?

True enough.

However... when people have menus with prices and there are also
specials available, they should let you know the price of the specials.
My wife was under the impression that specials are a special deal of the
day and assumed that they are always cheaper. In fairness to her, that
is the way it usually is around here and what we have seen elsewhere.
We had a rude surprise at an Italian restaurant in Newport Beach when we
there there a couple weeks ago. Most of the dishes were around $15-25.
One of the specials was sea bass, which she ordered. Holy cow. My shrimp
risotto, which was amazingly delicious, was $17. Her sea bass was $33.
Eating in restaurants every night for almost two weeks, that was a hot
on the pocket book, that and the fact that our dollar is way down these
days, so it translated to about $5 Cdn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/09/2015 12:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "graham" > wrote in message

>>> Wow! A place like that would put me right off. I haven't gotten a menu
>>> in years with no prices. I would just order soup or salad, probably not
>>> eat it and get out out of there as quickly as I could. And then never
>>> go back!

>> I've refrained from commenting in the past but really, what a dimwit
>> you are!
>> Graham

> I see. So wanting equality for women is being a dimwit? Okay then.

Perhaps you could point out where, in my brief repost, I made a
misogynistic comment. Methinks you are unnecessarily conflating your
feelings regarding the position of you and your family in society with
feminism.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2015 9:21 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 00:27:28 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Some people do not enjoy expensive things. I do enjoy *some* expensive
>> things. Like a really good pair of shoes or perfume. But food? Not so
>> much.

> So you're intolerant to expensive food, too? That goes to show you
> that ALL of your intolerances/allergies have no scientific or
> physiological truth to them - they're all in your head.
>
> -sw

Oh lookie who's back to his relentless woman-stalking!

You truly should be ground into cat food, you worthless scum.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 21:36:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>I took my wife and another woman to dinner tonight to The Castle
>http://www.castlerestaurant.com/
>
>We've not been there for years and I sort of forgot how nice dining can
>be. We went not just to eat, but to socialize and it was perfect for
>it. No rushing, not a lot of noise. I made a reservation and the table
>was ready for us when we arrived a few minutes early.
>
>Little things make a difference. The hostess pulled the chair out to
>seat my wife, the table had some toasted bread and a cheese spread,
>butter on the bread plates and charger plates. Hardly ever see chargers
>any more.
>
>I did not realize it until after, the ladies menu did not have prices.
>Very few places do that. Both ladies were given a long stem rose too.
>
>We had appetizers and ordered a bottle of wine from an extensive list.
>The game special was antelope, but we did not order it..
>
>My friend ordered Steak Diane and it is prepared tableside. Yeah, a bit
>of a show, but nice to see. Good too. So were the desserts!
>
>It was a nice leisurely 2 1/2 hours.

Looks like a great place to eat. I think I would prefer the Crusader
Room, not because it is cheaper but because it has something I really
like that I don't find in most restaurants, Broiled Calves Liver. If
I ever get that far North again I will have to try it.

In the meantime I will start looking for some calves liver in the area
grocery stores.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2015 3:17 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> But some people prefer not to order very expensive food. I am one of
> those. I don't care who is paying. If it's expensive, I won't be having
> it. And without being able to see the prices, I wouldn't know this.

I guess I'll never understand that part. I order what I like. We eat
at a variety of restaurants from Burger King to the occasional posh
place and others in between. I know that Applebees is going to run from
about $10 to $18. I order what I'm in the mood for as the few dollars
difference is not going to break me. If it was, I'd go to Burger King.
If I'm at a fancy place, same deal, they may from from $25 to $35, but
10 bucks on a $150 bill is not a big deal.

I won't order Cavier no matter the price because I don't like it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2015 7:26 AM, Bruce wrote:

> I think it's not so much about pampering women, but about old
> fashioned men feeling like the king of the roost as they takes their
> poodle for a walk.

Hmm, I guess you are more old fashioned than me to think that way but I
guess it still exists with the trophy wife. .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 1:27:34 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message

> >> Why? Is it important they know how much you are paying? If I was to
> >> return with guests I'm taking to dinner, I'd want everyone else to have
> >> no prices. Order and enjoy, don't worry about the cost, that is my job.

> > This is what I'm thinking. You are taking your guests out so that they
> > can enjoy themselves. You don't want them picking the second cheapest
> > item on the menu, just because they don't want to be a burden on you.
> > You want them to order whatever they would enjoy eating.

> Some people do not enjoy expensive things. I do enjoy *some* expensive
> things. Like a really good pair of shoes or perfume. But food? Not so
> much. I did go to a restaurant once where I did not have to pay. They
> really had nothing on the menu that I wanted to eat because I am not a meat
> lover. I really only wanted soup and salad but the host insisted that I
> order a dinner. I chose the least expensive steak on the menu because I
> really hate fish and chicken and there weren't any other options. I did not
> want it at all and had to force myself to eat it. It may have been good. I
> don't remember. I just remember with each bite, thinking about how much I
> did not want to be eating it.

Julie, please do not post of your likes and dislikes in food. We DON'T CARE.
Please post recipes or new food product reviews or the
weather or even politics but likes and dislikes are BORING.
Everyone has their food preferences...variety is the spice
of life but endless repetition of "ailments" and "can't
eats" are not interesting.
=====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

lucretia wrote:
>Bruce wrote:
>>Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Actually it's stupid... what if a couple of women came in for dinner,
would they get women's menus with no prices... or would the staff need
to determine which one is the male dyke? The only times I've seen
menus with no prices was at affairs like weddings and such, no prices
because the invited guests were not required to pay, and that's how
I'd treat a restaurant menu with no prices, indicating everything is
on the house.

>>>Thanks. I'll tell my wife and Susan they've been patronized. They'll
>>>get a laugh out of it.

>>Maybe they're from a generation that likes to be patronized.

>Now that is really an ageist comment!

Not at all discriminatory/ageism, has to do with historical practices
and the evolution of societal norms. I'm from a time when men asked
women out and paid the tab. Even though I realize that mores have
changed they have not changed for me at my age... 20-30 year old women
are not going to ask me out anyway. I'd not be comfortable with a
women asking me out to dinner her treat... I'd consider that a
patronizing insult, that I couldn't afford to pay for dinner... I'd
definitely not enjoy that dinner, in fact it would be very embarrasing
with all the other patrons watching her pay for me like I was a dead
beat. Actually I'd not accept a date from a woman asking me out, in
my time only hookers did that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 00:23:13 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> My mom is in her 80's. She is pretty much blind now so wouldn't be able to
>> tell that there were no prices on the menu. But if she knew it, she would
>> not like it. And the person who tried to hand her that rose would live to
>> regret it.

> What would she do, throw it onto the floor and grind on it with her
> heel?
>
> -sw

Like mother, like daughter. Ungratefulness at its finest.
--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2015 9:31 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> True enough.
>
> However... when people have menus with prices and there are also
> specials available, they should let you know the price of the specials.
> My wife was under the impression that specials are a special deal of the
> day and assumed that they are always cheaper. In fairness to her, that
> is the way it usually is around here and what we have seen elsewhere.
> We had a rude surprise at an Italian restaurant in Newport Beach when we
> there there a couple weeks ago. Most of the dishes were around $15-25.
> One of the specials was sea bass, which she ordered. Holy cow. My shrimp
> risotto, which was amazingly delicious, was $17. Her sea bass was $33.
> Eating in restaurants every night for almost two weeks, that was a hot
> on the pocket book, that and the fact that our dollar is way down these
> days, so it translated to about $5 Cdn.

Sea bass tends to be expensive. Only once can I remember being really
surprised at the special price. I expect them to be in the same range
as other menu items, but one place hit is hard for an appetizer.
Appetizers were $8 to $10 and this was $24 IIRC. It was a 4 cheese pasta
and was very good. It was in NYC so I guess I should not have been
surprised. IT was on the company though as we were there for business
and my boss is the one that recommended the place.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 10:21:24 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 00:27:28 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Some people do not enjoy expensive things. I do enjoy *some* expensive
>> things. Like a really good pair of shoes or perfume. But food? Not so
>> much.

>So you're intolerant to expensive food, too? That goes to show you
>that ALL of your intolerances/allergies have no scientific or
>physiological truth to them - they're all in your head.

Yep.

And don't forget that Julie has stated here previously that she
doesn't like food, and that it shouldn't be an enjoyable experience
anyway (don't ask me what that's about...) But she likes to cook! LOL.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 04:06:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 00:23:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>My mom is in her 80's. She is pretty much blind now so wouldn't be able
>>>tell that there were no prices on the menu. But if she knew it, she would
>>>not like it. And the person who tried to hand her that rose would live to
>>>regret it.

>> I guess most people don't take well to being patronized, whether
>> they're old or young.

>I would think not. My mom was and still is one of those militant feminists.
>And yet, she makes weird exceptions. One being that she never pumped her
>own gas. Moot point now since she no longer drives. But I suspect that had
>more to do with something else. Her dad owned a gas station. So I think in
>her mind, pumping gas was something she just would never do. She also grew
>up on a farm so would never allow us to stop at a farm stand or buy stuff
>from any place that had the word "farm" in the name. She would somehow
>think that produce from the supermarket was far superior to that which was
>bought from a farm.
>
>And don't try to argue with her or think that what you might say will ever
>make sense to her.

If even half of this is true, it does at least explain why you are the
way you are.

<snip>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2015 11:16 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 00:20:38 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> It is. Right down to the giving of the rose. It's as though they are
>> implying that we poor little things haven't got enough money to buy our own.

> <shaking head> You're incredible, Julie. Do you feel the same way
> when you use all those coupons you're always bragging about?
>
> -sw

**** off virus, you need to drink Drano.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 22/09/2015 12:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I've refrained from commenting in the past but really, what a dimwit
>>> you are!
>>> Graham

>> I see. So wanting equality for women is being a dimwit? Okay then.

> Perhaps you could point out where, in my brief repost, I made a
> misogynistic comment. Methinks you are unnecessarily conflating your
> feelings regarding the position of you and your family in society with
> feminism.
> Graham

Please point out where I said that you made a misogynistic comment?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/22/2015 3:17 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> But some people prefer not to order very expensive food. I am one of
>> those. I don't care who is paying. If it's expensive, I won't be having
>> it. And without being able to see the prices, I wouldn't know this.

> I guess I'll never understand that part. I order what I like. We eat at
> a variety of restaurants from Burger King to the occasional posh place and
> others in between. I know that Applebees is going to run from about $10
> to $18. I order what I'm in the mood for as the few dollars difference is
> not going to break me. If it was, I'd go to Burger King. If I'm at a fancy
> place, same deal, they may from from $25 to $35, but 10 bucks on a $150
> bill is not a big deal.
>
> I won't order Cavier no matter the price because I don't like it.

I order what I like too which is usually the cheapest thing on the menu.
But I have been to places where I felt that the hummus appetizer was too
expensive or even a dinner salad was too expensive. We looked into a place
in San Francisco and they wanted $8 for a salad. This was about 12-13 years
ago. Similar salads at other places were $2-3.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 00:20:38 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> It is. Right down to the giving of the rose. It's as though they are
>> implying that we poor little things haven't got enough money to buy our
>> own.

> <shaking head> You're incredible, Julie. Do you feel the same way
> when you use all those coupons you're always bragging about?

What coupons am I always bragging about? I rarely get any coupons. I even
stopped taking the newspaper because they quit putting them in there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 00:23:13 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> My mom is in her 80's. She is pretty much blind now so wouldn't be able
>> tell that there were no prices on the menu. But if she knew it, she
>> would
>> not like it. And the person who tried to hand her that rose would live
>> regret it.

> What would she do, throw it onto the floor and grind on it with her
> heel?

She would either throw it back at them or jump back in horror. She hates
flowers. Except for certain specific ones that are grown outside and left
outside.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jinx the minx" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 00:23:13 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> My mom is in her 80's. She is pretty much blind now so wouldn't be able
>>> tell that there were no prices on the menu. But if she knew it, she
>>> would
>>> not like it. And the person who tried to hand her that rose would live
>>> regret it.

>> What would she do, throw it onto the floor and grind on it with her
>> heel?
>>
>> -sw

> Like mother, like daughter. Ungratefulness at its finest.

So, taking something that you will know will cause you an asthma attack is
ungrateful?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 00:27:28 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Some people do not enjoy expensive things. I do enjoy *some* expensive
>> things. Like a really good pair of shoes or perfume. But food? Not so
>> much.

> So you're intolerant to expensive food, too? That goes to show you
> that ALL of your intolerances/allergies have no scientific or
> physiological truth to them - they're all in your head.

No. It's just that the foods that naturally like are generally not
expensive. But as I said in another post, I have been to restaurants where
I feel that they charge too much for a specific thing. Like a dinner salad.
If that's the case, I will just go without. I'm much sooner eat cheap
lettuce at home than pay $8 for 6 bites of it in a restaurant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 1:27:34 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>> > This is what I'm thinking. You are taking your guests out so that they
>> > can enjoy themselves. You don't want them picking the second cheapest
>> > item on the menu, just because they don't want to be a burden on you.
>> > You want them to order whatever they would enjoy eating.

>> Some people do not enjoy expensive things. I do enjoy *some* expensive
>> things. Like a really good pair of shoes or perfume. But food? Not so
>> much. I did go to a restaurant once where I did not have to pay. They
>> really had nothing on the menu that I wanted to eat because I am not a
>> meat
>> lover. I really only wanted soup and salad but the host insisted that I
>> order a dinner. I chose the least expensive steak on the menu because I
>> really hate fish and chicken and there weren't any other options. I did
>> not
>> want it at all and had to force myself to eat it. It may have been good.
>> don't remember. I just remember with each bite, thinking about how much
>> did not want to be eating it.

> Julie, please do not post of your likes and dislikes in food. We DON'T
> CARE.
> Please post recipes or new food product reviews or the
> weather or even politics but likes and dislikes are BORING.
> Everyone has their food preferences...variety is the spice
> of life but endless repetition of "ailments" and "can't
> eats" are not interesting.
> =====

And neither are your complaints.