Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Where Have RFC'ers Gone To On Social Media?

Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-20 16:28:18 +0000, William said:

> Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
> postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.

I have not yet found anything of value in FaceBook. I don't doubt that
there are brief twitter-like exchanges there, and lots of them. But I
have not yet found substantive discussion of anything, cooking included.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 12:28:18 -0400, William > wrote:

>Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
>postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.
>
>William

Facebook, mostly. For me.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 09:49:40 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>On 2015-09-20 16:28:18 +0000, William said:
>
>> Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
>> postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.

>I have not yet found anything of value in FaceBook. I don't doubt that
>there are brief twitter-like exchanges there, and lots of them. But I
>have not yet found substantive discussion of anything, cooking included.

Facebook is an advertising platform, basically. It's a lousy database,
has an atrocious editor, and is particularly terrible because of the
"Facebook algorithm". Look it up!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 9:28:45 AM UTC-7, BigC300 wrote:
> Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
> postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.
>
> William

https://www.facebook.com/groups/recfoodcooking/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 12:02:45 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 9:28:45 AM UTC-7, BigC300 wrote:
>> Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
>> postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.
>>
>> William

>https://www.facebook.com/groups/recfoodcooking/

thanks for the link!

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2015 12:43 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 09:49:40 -0700, gtr wrote:
>
>> On 2015-09-20 16:28:18 +0000, William said:
>>
>>> Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
>>> postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.

>> I have not yet found anything of value in FaceBook. I don't doubt that
>> there are brief twitter-like exchanges there, and lots of them. But I
>> have not yet found substantive discussion of anything, cooking included.

> You must not be looking in the right places.
>
> -sw

Congratulations on killing this group off, stalker.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-20 18:43:19 +0000, Sqwertz said:

> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 09:49:40 -0700, gtr wrote:
>
>> On 2015-09-20 16:28:18 +0000, William said:
>>
>>> Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
>>> postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.

>> I have not yet found anything of value in FaceBook. I don't doubt that
>> there are brief twitter-like exchanges there, and lots of them. But I
>> have not yet found substantive discussion of anything, cooking included.

> You must not be looking in the right places.

Perhaps not. I've searched for "cooking groups" and such and find a
number that are closed groups; perhaps some of these are the "right
places" but inaccessible. Any clues as to how such groups can be found
are appreciated.

But I've spent almost a month really trying to study facebook and set
up a presence there. From what I've seen, "discussions" on most any
topic seem to be single paragraph exchanges, with around 5 iterations
making for a "long exchange", and most falling short of that. Very
cursory. Not what I'd call a discussion per se.

That said, I've only been subscribed to a couple of groups, now
unsubscribed. My initial assessment is that it's a not particularly
expansive user interface. Kinda like twitter with significant elbow
room, most of which is unused.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-20 19:10:30 +0000, William said:

> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 12:02:45 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 9:28:45 AM UTC-7, BigC300 wrote:
>>> Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
>>> postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.
>>>
>>> William

>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/recfoodcooking/

> thanks for the link!

Looks handy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 13:17:16 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>On 2015-09-20 18:43:19 +0000, Sqwertz said:

>>> I have not yet found anything of value in FaceBook. I don't doubt that
>>> there are brief twitter-like exchanges there, and lots of them. But I
>>> have not yet found substantive discussion of anything, cooking included.

>> You must not be looking in the right places.

>Perhaps not. I've searched for "cooking groups" and such and find a
>number that are closed groups; perhaps some of these are the "right
>places" but inaccessible. Any clues as to how such groups can be found
>are appreciated.

Closed groups are no inaccessible. You ask for permission to join.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 13:17:16 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>On 2015-09-20 18:43:19 +0000, Sqwertz said:

>>> I have not yet found anything of value in FaceBook. I don't doubt that
>>> there are brief twitter-like exchanges there, and lots of them. But I
>>> have not yet found substantive discussion of anything, cooking included.

>> You must not be looking in the right places.

>Perhaps not. I've searched for "cooking groups" and such and find a
>number that are closed groups; perhaps some of these are the "right
>places" but inaccessible. Any clues as to how such groups can be found
>are appreciated.
>
>But I've spent almost a month really trying to study facebook and set
>up a presence there. From what I've seen, "discussions" on most any
>topic seem to be single paragraph exchanges, with around 5 iterations
>making for a "long exchange", and most falling short of that. Very
>cursory. Not what I'd call a discussion per se.
>
>That said, I've only been subscribed to a couple of groups, now
>unsubscribed. My initial assessment is that it's a not particularly
>expansive user interface. Kinda like twitter with significant elbow
>room, most of which is unused.

Mosly what peolle do is what I heard termed as "peacocking", from one
of the founders of Flickr. Basically just posting something that says
"llook at me and how cool I and my life are." Lotta what I call hit
and run posts. Not as many good discussions but Ive had a few in a few
Facebook Groups.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 16:42:32 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 13:17:16 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>>> You must not be looking in the right places.

>>Perhaps not. I've searched for "cooking groups" and such and find a
>>number that are closed groups; perhaps some of these are the "right
>>places" but inaccessible. Any clues as to how such groups can be found
>>are appreciated.

>Closed groups are no inaccessible. You ask for permission to join.

Yep, and many times you will be granted access. Unless it's what
Facebook calls a "Private" group which is onl;y visible/accessable by
invitation, ostensibly. I'm that Facebook literate from an admin
perspective.

John Kuthe...

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message

> Yep, and many times you will be granted access. Unless it's what
> Facebook calls a "Private" group which is onl;y visible/accessable by
> invitation, ostensibly. I'm that Facebook literate from an admin
> perspective.
>
> John Kuthe...
>
> John Kuthe...

And therein lies the problem. LOL

Cheri
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-20 21:00:39 +0000, John Kuthe said:

>>> Perhaps not. I've searched for "cooking groups" and such and find a
>>> number that are closed groups; perhaps some of these are the "right
>>> places" but inaccessible. Any clues as to how such groups can be found
>>> are appreciated.

>> Closed groups are no inaccessible. You ask for permission to join.

Good to know, thanks.

> Yep, and many times you will be granted access. Unless it's what
> Facebook calls a "Private" group which is onl;y visible/accessable by
> invitation, ostensibly. I'm that Facebook literate from an admin
> perspective.

I find FaceBook's interface problematic for too many reasons, but if
you're literate perhaps you can answer this: If I subscribe to RFC,
which I have, but also have 2 dozen "friends" that post 10 times a day,
is there anyway to do filtering without unfollowing/unfriending and
such?

That is, I'd like to review NO rfc posts, and only my friends blabber.
Following this I'd like to see none of their blabber and all of the rfc
posts. I ran into this before with a jazz musicians group that had
such high volume that I had to unfollow it altogether to avoid the
deluge. Seemingly there is no middle ground.

Elsewhere you said:

> Mosly what peolle do is what I heard termed as "peacocking", from one
> of the founders of Flickr. Basically just posting something that says
> "llook at me and how cool I and my life are."

I've been needing that work. This is the entirety of (what I perceive)
twitter to be.

> Lotta what I call hit and run posts.

Sometimes minus the "run". Repetitive stand-alone "look-a-me" posts.
I've started calling this barking, because seemingly no response will
encourage a give-and-take engagement.

> Not as many good discussions but Ive had a few in a few Facebook Groups.

In a previous attempt to search for cooking groups I got these "closed
groups "and nothing like RFC. Now I get RFC and all the "closed
groups" I saw seem to have vanished. Clearly it takes practice to
learn best out to waste one's time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 14:28:47 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>>> Closed groups are no inaccessible. You ask for permission to join.

>Good to know, thanks.
>
>> Yep, and many times you will be granted access. Unless it's what
>> Facebook calls a "Private" group which is onl;y visible/accessable by
>> invitation, ostensibly. I'm that Facebook literate from an admin
>> perspective.

>I find FaceBook's interface problematic for too many reasons, but if
>you're literate perhaps you can answer this: If I subscribe to RFC,
>which I have, but also have 2 dozen "friends" that post 10 times a day,
>is there anyway to do filtering without unfollowing/unfriending and
>such?
>
>That is, I'd like to review NO rfc posts, and only my friends blabber.
>Following this I'd like to see none of their blabber and all of the rfc
>posts. I ran into this before with a jazz musicians group that had
>such high volume that I had to unfollow it altogether to avoid the
>deluge. Seemingly there is no middle ground.
>
>Elsewhere you said:
>
>> Mosly what peolle do is what I heard termed as "peacocking", from one
>> of the founders of Flickr. Basically just posting something that says
>> "llook at me and how cool I and my life are."

>I've been needing that work. This is the entirety of (what I perceive)
>twitter to be.
>
>> Lotta what I call hit and run posts.

>Sometimes minus the "run". Repetitive stand-alone "look-a-me" posts.
>I've started calling this barking, because seemingly no response will
>encourage a give-and-take engagement.
>
>> Not as many good discussions but Ive had a few in a few Facebook Groups.

>In a previous attempt to search for cooking groups I got these "closed
>groups "and nothing like RFC. Now I get RFC and all the "closed
>groups" I saw seem to have vanished. Clearly it takes practice to
>learn best out to waste one's time.

That's one of the main points of faecebook - to get you to spend as
much time on faecebook as possible. That, and build up a profile of
you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 14:17:11 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
>
>> Yep, and many times you will be granted access. Unless it's what
>> Facebook calls a "Private" group which is onl;y visible/accessable by
>> invitation, ostensibly. I'm that Facebook literate from an admin
>> perspective.
>>
>> John Kuthe...
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>And therein lies the problem. LOL
>
>Cheri

What are you talking about? I created a Private Facebook group for my
shared living arrangement. Invited al my housemates and made everyone
an admin. I don't want sole control over the group.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> Closed groups are no inaccessible. You ask for permission to join.

>Good to know, thanks.
>
>> Yep, and many times you will be granted access. Unless it's what
>> Facebook calls a "Private" group which is onl;y visible/accessable by
>> invitation, ostensibly. I'm that Facebook literate from an admin
>> perspective.

>I find FaceBook's interface problematic for too many reasons, but if
>you're literate perhaps you can answer this: If I subscribe to RFC,
>which I have, but also have 2 dozen "friends" that post 10 times a day,
>is there anyway to do filtering without unfollowing/unfriending and
>such?

TruedatQ@! the thing I hate perhaps more than anything else is
Facebook's post upon pressing the enter key. Stupid!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 07:49:13 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>>Good to know, thanks.
>>
>>> Yep, and many times you will be granted access. Unless it's what
>>> Facebook calls a "Private" group which is onl;y visible/accessable by
>>> invitation, ostensibly. I'm that Facebook literate from an admin
>>> perspective.

>>I find FaceBook's interface problematic for too many reasons, but if
>>you're literate perhaps you can answer this: If I subscribe to RFC,
>>which I have, but also have 2 dozen "friends" that post 10 times a day,
>>is there anyway to do filtering without unfollowing/unfriending and
>>such?
>>
>>That is, I'd like to review NO rfc posts, and only my friends blabber.
>>Following this I'd like to see none of their blabber and all of the rfc
>>posts. I ran into this before with a jazz musicians group that had
>>such high volume that I had to unfollow it altogether to avoid the
>>deluge. Seemingly there is no middle ground.
>>
>>Elsewhere you said:
>>
>>> Mosly what peolle do is what I heard termed as "peacocking", from one
>>> of the founders of Flickr. Basically just posting something that says
>>> "llook at me and how cool I and my life are."

>>I've been needing that work. This is the entirety of (what I perceive)
>>twitter to be.
>>
>>> Lotta what I call hit and run posts.

>>Sometimes minus the "run". Repetitive stand-alone "look-a-me" posts.
>>I've started calling this barking, because seemingly no response will
>>encourage a give-and-take engagement.
>>
>>> Not as many good discussions but Ive had a few in a few Facebook Groups.

>>In a previous attempt to search for cooking groups I got these "closed
>>groups "and nothing like RFC. Now I get RFC and all the "closed
>>groups" I saw seem to have vanished. Clearly it takes practice to
>>learn best out to waste one's time.

>That's one of the main points of faecebook - to get you to spend as
>much time on faecebook as possible. That, and build up a profile of
>you.

One of the best things I ever foujnd for Facerbook is FBPurity.com,
for Fluff Buster purity!! FBPurity is free, safe, blocks Facebook ads
AND gives you the user much more control over your Facebook!! I liked
it so much the first day I used it I donated $20 to the guy who wrote
it!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/09/2015 2:28 AM, William wrote:
> Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
> postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.
>
> William

Given the trolling crap that's been going on here of late, anywhere else
would seem better.

--

Xeno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/09/2015 2:56 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 09:49:40 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>
>> On 2015-09-20 16:28:18 +0000, William said:
>>
>>> Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
>>> postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.

>> I have not yet found anything of value in FaceBook. I don't doubt that
>> there are brief twitter-like exchanges there, and lots of them. But I
>> have not yet found substantive discussion of anything, cooking included.

> Facebook is an advertising platform, basically. It's a lousy database,
> has an atrocious editor, and is particularly terrible because of the
> "Facebook algorithm". Look it up!
>
> John Kuthe...

Fair description.

--

Xeno

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/09/2015 8:47 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 12:28:18 -0400, William > wrote:
>
>> Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
>> postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.

> Yes, I'll be posting Youtube links with footage from turkey factories.

Looks like the turkeys have been posting here. Is it Thanksgiving already?

--

Xeno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 16:58:00 -0500, John Kuthe >
wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 07:49:13 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>Good to know, thanks.

>>>I find FaceBook's interface problematic for too many reasons, but if
>>>you're literate perhaps you can answer this: If I subscribe to RFC,
>>>which I have, but also have 2 dozen "friends" that post 10 times a day,
>>>is there anyway to do filtering without unfollowing/unfriending and
>>>such?
>>>
>>>That is, I'd like to review NO rfc posts, and only my friends blabber.
>>>Following this I'd like to see none of their blabber and all of the rfc
>>>posts. I ran into this before with a jazz musicians group that had
>>>such high volume that I had to unfollow it altogether to avoid the
>>>deluge. Seemingly there is no middle ground.

>>>I've been needing that work. This is the entirety of (what I perceive)
>>>twitter to be.

>>>Sometimes minus the "run". Repetitive stand-alone "look-a-me" posts.
>>>I've started calling this barking, because seemingly no response will
>>>encourage a give-and-take engagement.

>>>In a previous attempt to search for cooking groups I got these "closed
>>>groups "and nothing like RFC. Now I get RFC and all the "closed
>>>groups" I saw seem to have vanished. Clearly it takes practice to
>>>learn best out to waste one's time.

>>That's one of the main points of faecebook - to get you to spend as
>>much time on faecebook as possible. That, and build up a profile of
>>you.

>One of the best things I ever foujnd for Facerbook is FBPurity.com,
>for Fluff Buster purity!! FBPurity is free, safe, blocks Facebook ads
>AND gives you the user much more control over your Facebook!! I liked
>it so much the first day I used it I donated $20 to the guy who wrote
>it!

I remember those when I was on FB. Sadly, it doesnt filter out most of
the FB users... talk about lowest common denominator crap.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 14:17:11 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>>"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Yep, and many times you will be granted access. Unless it's what
>>> Facebook calls a "Private" group which is onl;y visible/accessable by
>>> invitation, ostensibly. I'm that Facebook literate from an admin
>>> perspective.
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...

>>And therein lies the problem. LOL
>>
>>Cheri

> What are you talking about? I created a Private Facebook group for my
> shared living arrangement. Invited al my housemates and made everyone
> an admin. I don't want sole control over the group.
>
> John Kuthe...

Good for you. You having sole control would be frightening. JMO

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 16:33:57 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 14:17:11 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>And therein lies the problem. LOL
>>>
>>>Cheri

>> What are you talking about? I created a Private Facebook group for my
>> shared living arrangement. Invited al my housemates and made everyone
>> an admin. I don't want sole control over the group.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>Good for you. You having sole control would be frightening. JMO
>
>Cheri

We hardly use it anyway. Me and one other good responsible housemate.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-20 21:58:00 +0000, John Kuthe said:

> One of the best things I ever foujnd for Facerbook is FBPurity.com,
> for Fluff Buster purity!! FBPurity is free, safe, blocks Facebook ads
> AND gives you the user much more control over your Facebook!! I liked
> it so much the first day I used it I donated $20 to the guy who wrote
> it!

Thanks for the tip--I'm not sure about it's feasibility on the Mac, but
I see their or boatloads of programs out there for the Mac that intend
to address deficiencies, irritations and/or wrest a modicum of control
out of the interface. They might be useful.

It would be nice if it could cull info from FaceBook and dump it into a
usenet-type structure and I could go on about my business!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 16:33:57 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>>"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> What are you talking about? I created a Private Facebook group for my
>>> shared living arrangement. Invited al my housemates and made everyone
>>> an admin. I don't want sole control over the group.
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...

>>Good for you. You having sole control would be frightening. JMO
>>
>>Cheri

> We hardly use it anyway. Me and one other good responsible housemate.
>
> John Kuthe...

That's good. I just don't like anyone having sole control of content, others
may though and that's fine too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 18:15:50 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 16:33:57 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>Good for you. You having sole control would be frightening. JMO
>>>
>>>Cheri

>> We hardly use it anyway. Me and one other good responsible housemate.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>That's good. I just don't like anyone having sole control of content, others
>may though and that's fine too.
>
>Cheri

I learned long ago two rules to make shared living work. 1. Pay the
rent and utilities ontime, and 2. respect your fellow huousemate and
their property.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message

> I learned long ago two rules to make shared living work. 1. Pay the
> rent and utilities ontime, and 2. respect your fellow huousemate and
> their property.
>
> John Kuthe...

Those are two good rules!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/09/2015 4:06 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message
>
>> I learned long ago two rules to make shared living work. 1. Pay the
>> rent and utilities ontime, and 2. respect your fellow huousemate and
>> their property.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> Those are two good rules!
>
> Cheri

Only as long as they are reciprocated....

--

Xeno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 22:32:49 -0500, John Kuthe >
wrote:

<snip>

>I learned long ago two rules to make shared living work. 1. Pay the
>rent and utilities ontime, and 2. respect your fellow huousemate and
>their property.

You had to learn that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 12:03:05 PM UTC-7, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 9:28:45 AM UTC-7, BigC300 wrote:
> > Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
> > postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.
> >
> > William

> https://www.facebook.com/groups/recfoodcooking/

Seems to be asking me to log into my Facebook account.

I haven't used my FB account since they opened it up to non-.edu
accounts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 16:33:57 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>>"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> What are you talking about? I created a Private Facebook group for my
>>> shared living arrangement. Invited al my housemates and made everyone
>>> an admin. I don't want sole control over the group.
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...

>>Good for you. You having sole control would be frightening. JMO
>>
>>Cheri

> We hardly use it anyway. Me and one other good responsible housemate.

I may have this all wrong because I don't use FB but are you saying you set
up a group just for you and your housemates so you could all chat to each
other? Can't you talk face to face if you are all in the same house?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/09/2015 7:27 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 16:33:57 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>> Good for you. You having sole control would be frightening. JMO
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> We hardly use it anyway. Me and one other good responsible housemate.
>>

> I may have this all wrong because I don't use FB but are you saying you
> set up a group just for you and your housemates so you could all chat to
> each other? Can't you talk face to face if you are all in the same house?

Don't go there Ophelia.... You will open up a hornet's nest! ;-)

--

Xeno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Xeno" > wrote in message
> On 21/09/2015 7:27 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message

>>> We hardly use it anyway. Me and one other good responsible housemate.
>>>

>> I may have this all wrong because I don't use FB but are you saying you
>> set up a group just for you and your housemates so you could all chat to
>> each other? Can't you talk face to face if you are all in the same
>> house?
>>

> Don't go there Ophelia.... You will open up a hornet's nest! ;-)

*rolls eyes*

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 11:32:25 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:

> I learned long ago two rules to make shared living work. 1. Pay the
> rent and utilities ontime, and 2. respect your fellow huousemate and
> their property.

Those rules work for marriage, too. The second one is the difficult
one, judging by the divorce rate.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't "do" FB, Twitter, or any of those popular media venues.
95% of it is pure bullsh*t.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 11:05:47 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

In America today Ophelia, people inside homes have hands holding
Smartphones and eyes focused on Smartphones at all times.

William
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 05:13:49 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>I don't "do" FB, Twitter, or any of those popular media venues.
>95% of it is pure bullsh*t.
>
>N.

It's funny Nancy, one of my friends told me the other day he had sent
me some information on Facebook...I said I don't look at Facebook
regularly...if you want to send me information use my e-mail address.

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 16:42:32 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 13:17:16 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> >> You must not be looking in the right places.

> >Perhaps not. I've searched for "cooking groups" and such and find a
> >number that are closed groups; perhaps some of these are the "right
> >places" but inaccessible. Any clues as to how such groups can be found
> >are appreciated.

> Closed groups are no inaccessible. You ask for permission to join.

Yes, they are my favorite type of group. Totally accessible, but
conversations can't be snooped on by anyone who hasn't joined. I like
the ones that are closely moderated, with strict rules to follow and
have had some very nice exchanges with other members via messaging. I
don't do group chats, but I imagine it could happen if I was
interested in that sort of thing.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 16:00:39 -0500, John Kuthe >
wrote:

> Yep, and many times you will be granted access. Unless it's what
> Facebook calls a "Private" group which is onl;y visible/accessable by
> invitation, ostensibly. I'm that Facebook literate from an admin
> perspective.

The correct term for a group that you need to be invited to join is
"secret".

--

sf