Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Where Have RFC'ers Gone To On Social Media?

sf wrote:

> Some people still use pen & paper and put a stamp on an envelope.
> Others have moved on to more modern forms of communication.

I use both but....
I still make lists with pen&paper. I love my cute 5X7 note pads.

I still put a stamp on about 5 envelopes per month. I, personally,
like to support the USPO and would like them to stay in business.

I still prefer paper books vs some e-book reader.

This old style will last at least as long as I live.
I also don't have to worry about some site going down, my
batteries running low or my phone breaking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia from GB wrote:
>
>> That is one thing Iove so much about the letters I get from GD She
>> writes
>> funny and loving letters. Must nicer than emails)

> Letters you get from GD? (aka Grenada)
> I thought you said she's in HK. ;-D

;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 21:42:09 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> On 9/21/2015 8:53 AM, William wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 11:05:47 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > In America today Ophelia, people inside homes have hands holding
> > Smartphones and eyes focused on Smartphones at all times.
> >
> > William
> >

> I always laugh when I see married couples posting to each other on
> Facebook. It seems weird to me.

The ones who share a single account are more weird to me.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 07:15:59 +1000, Bruce > wrote:

> Yes, some people seem to post everything they think I don't need to
> see everything, but unfollowing them is too drastic.

Unfollow and then check out their homepage when you're in the mood to
catch up.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/15 5:46 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Larry, I don't need FB to keep in touch...I use a couple old-style "round robin" letters,
> email, and the telephone (a landline). Nobody "needs" FB.

It's a tool. Like any other tool, you need to evaluate its utility and
shortcomings. To just dismiss all social media out-of-hand is your loss.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

>I still put a stamp on about 5 envelopes per month. I, personally,
>like to support the USPO and would like them to stay in business.

I still pen letters and cards, used to be many more but now about 3-4
letters a month... holiday card list has shrunk to about six as people
have passed on. I pen letters with fountain pens of course, fancy
inks, on fancy schmancy papers, even attach wax seals. I write to
people about my age and older... most seniors I know don't use
computers, nor are they interested.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 11:49:43 AM UTC-5, gtr wrote:
> On 2015-09-20 16:28:18 +0000, William said:
>
> > Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
> > postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.

> I have not yet found anything of value in FaceBook. I don't doubt that
> there are brief twitter-like exchanges there, and lots of them. But I
> have not yet found substantive discussion of anything, cooking included.

I will say somethng positive about the FB RFC page. It is good, people talk about coking, eating and other food related things. There has been ( as far as can tell ) no name calling no wars or anythng nasty. I do not think the posts are censored, people just do the right thing in there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/09/2015 8:09 AM, rosie wrote:
> On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 11:49:43 AM UTC-5, gtr wrote:
>> On 2015-09-20 16:28:18 +0000, William said:
>>
>>> Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
>>> postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.

>> I have not yet found anything of value in FaceBook. I don't doubt that
>> there are brief twitter-like exchanges there, and lots of them. But I
>> have not yet found substantive discussion of anything, cooking included.

> I will say somethng positive about the FB RFC page. It is good, people talk about coking, eating and other food related things. There has been ( as far as can tell ) no name calling no wars or anythng nasty. I do not think the posts are censored, people just do the right thing in there.

That's because they cannot hide behind a pseudonym.

--

Xeno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2015 6:42 PM, Xeno wrote:
> On 24/09/2015 8:09 AM, rosie wrote:

>>> I have not yet found anything of value in FaceBook. I don't doubt that
>>> there are brief twitter-like exchanges there, and lots of them. But I
>>> have not yet found substantive discussion of anything, cooking included.

>> I will say somethng positive about the FB RFC page. It is good, people
>> talk about coking, eating and other food related things. There has
>> been ( as far as can tell ) no name calling no wars or anythng nasty.
>> I do not think the posts are censored, people just do the right thing
>> in there.
>>

> That's because they cannot hide behind a pseudonym.

Some do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-23 22:09:57 +0000, rosie said:

> On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 11:49:43 AM UTC-5, gtr wrote:
>> On 2015-09-20 16:28:18 +0000, William said:
>>
>>> Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
>>> postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.

>> I have not yet found anything of value in FaceBook. I don't doubt
>> that> there are brief twitter-like exchanges there, and lots of them.
>> But I> have not yet found substantive discussion of anything, cooking
>> included.

> I will say somethng positive about the FB RFC page. It is good, people
> talk about coking, eating and other food related things. There has been
> ( as far as can tell ) no name calling no wars or anythng nasty. I do
> not think the posts are censored, people just do the right thing in
> there.

I'm glad to hear that. Do you think they lose some of the social
bonding that takes place when people are attacking one another, and
forming cliques based on the people and approaches they dislike?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 08:42:22 +1000, Xeno >
wrote:

>On 24/09/2015 8:09 AM, rosie wrote:

>>> I have not yet found anything of value in FaceBook. I don't doubt that
>>> there are brief twitter-like exchanges there, and lots of them. But I
>>> have not yet found substantive discussion of anything, cooking included.

>> I will say somethng positive about the FB RFC page. It is good, people talk about coking, eating and other food related things. There has been ( as far as can tell ) no name calling no wars or anythng nasty. I do not think the posts are censored, people just do the right thing in there.
>>

>That's because they cannot hide behind a pseudonym.

Please.

I have 4 FB accounts under different names.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-24 01:08:48 +0000, Jeßus said:

> Anyway, next thing I know, FB wanted my phone number and a
> government issued I.D. Needless to say, that wasn't about to happen.

So we have this great freedom with the internet as long as we're not
using a fascist conduit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I have not yet found anything of value in FaceBook. I don't doubt that
>> there are brief twitter-like exchanges there, and lots of them. But I
>> have not yet found substantive discussion of anything, cooking included.

Try https://www.facebook.com/seriouseats/timeline

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/09/2015 9:14 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 08:42:22 +1000, Xeno >
> wrote:

>>> I will say somethng positive about the FB RFC page. It is good, people talk about coking, eating and other food related things. There has been ( as far as can tell ) no name calling no wars or anythng nasty. I do not think the posts are censored, people just do the right thing in there.
>>>

>> That's because they cannot hide behind a pseudonym.

> Please.
>
> I have 4 FB accounts under different names.

Yes, I have one under a pseudonym as well, but should you post
disparaging words in FB RFC, your tenure will be brief and THAT is what
forces posters to hold their tongues. Moderated usenet groups operate
similarly...

--

Xeno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 19:09:26 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>On 2015-09-24 01:08:48 +0000, Jeßus said:
>
>> Anyway, next thing I know, FB wanted my phone number and a
>> government issued I.D. Needless to say, that wasn't about to happen.

>So we have this great freedom with the internet as long as we're not
>using a fascist conduit.

You could say that IMO, we're in an odd sort of nether-world ATM in
regards to the Internet. Those with a clue can still circumvent crap
like Facebook, Twitter and general intrusions on privacy. We still
have Usenet and other venues, proxy servers, VPNs and the Tor network.
As long as the Internet's basic existing architecture remains as-is,
those who care can still remain private/anonymous if they wish and
Govco can do jack-shit about that. I do expect a fundamental change at
some point, they'll have to do away with TCP/IP and a few other things
to truly eliminate privacy... it'll probably be called something like
'Internet II' or some such crap.

I suppose while faecebook remains popular, they really have no need to
push for fundamental changes, as the majority use FB to some extent.
Truly a government's surveillance wet dream. No question in my mind at
all that the NSA has full access to FB. Yep, I'm wearing my tin-foil
hat, in case anyone's curious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 14:53:49 +1000, Xeno >
wrote:

>On 24/09/2015 9:14 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 08:42:22 +1000, Xeno >
>> wrote:

>>> That's because they cannot hide behind a pseudonym.

>> Please.
>>
>> I have 4 FB accounts under different names.
>>

>Yes, I have one under a pseudonym as well, but should you post
>disparaging words in FB RFC, your tenure will be brief and THAT is what
>forces posters to hold their tongues. Moderated usenet groups operate
>similarly...

It is why I do not hang out in rfc on FB. One of the moderators is a
controlling bitch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> You reckon lol I have perused the FB rfc in the last few days and I
>>> don't think anyone saw me and I certainly wasn't there as LB!
>>>

>> Did/could you post?

> Didn't try.

That's what I thought. You're only likely to come a cropper if you try
to post. Merely reading is not going to cause alarm...

--

Xeno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> come a cropper
>>>
>>> 1. (archaic) To fall headlong from a horse.
>>> 2. (Britain, idiomatic) To suffer some misfortune; to fail.
>>>
>>> Learn something new everyday.

>> Also well used by fighter pilots during the war.

> For being shot down?

That's pretty much coming a cropper... especially if you crash in a crop
field! ;-)

--

Xeno

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 14:53:49 +1000, Xeno >
> wrote:
>
>>On 24/09/2015 9:14 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:

>>> Please.
>>>
>>> I have 4 FB accounts under different names.
>>>

>>Yes, I have one under a pseudonym as well, but should you post
>>disparaging words in FB RFC, your tenure will be brief and THAT is what
>>forces posters to hold their tongues. Moderated usenet groups operate
>>similarly...

> It is why I do not hang out in rfc on FB. One of the moderators is a
> controlling bitch.

That is the reason I don't like moderated groups. It attracts the type.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message

> It is why I do not hang out in rfc on FB. One of the moderators is a
> controlling bitch.

I've never seen a moderator yet that wasn't a bit controlling.

Cheri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Boron Elgar" > wrote in message

>> It is why I do not hang out in rfc on FB. One of the moderators is a
>> controlling bitch.

> That is the reason I don't like moderated groups. It attracts the type.

Definitely!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Didn't try.
>>>

>>That's what I thought. You're only likely to come a cropper if you try
>>to post. Merely reading is not going to cause alarm...

> come a cropper
>
> 1. (archaic) To fall headlong from a horse.
> 2. (Britain, idiomatic) To suffer some misfortune; to fail.
>
> Learn something new everyday.

It is common here)
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sf, your statement has an implied judgment, which I don't appreciate. Did
you not see the part where I said I use email?

I repeat, nobody "needs" FB.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/09/2015 11:10 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
>> It is why I do not hang out in rfc on FB. One of the moderators is a
>> controlling bitch.

> I've never seen a moderator yet that wasn't a bit controlling.
>
> Cheri

It goes with the territory! ;-)

--

Xeno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Sf, your statement has an implied judgment, which I don't appreciate. Did
> you not see the part where I said I use email?
>
> I repeat, nobody "needs" FB.

I still wonder how *anyone* ever survived all the years before
internet and cell phones.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2015 10:58 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 08:42:22 +1000, Xeno wrote:
>
>> On 24/09/2015 8:09 AM, rosie wrote:
>>
>>> I will say somethng positive about the FB RFC page. It is good, people talk about coking, eating and other food related things. There has been ( as far as can tell ) no name calling no wars or anythng nasty. I do not think the posts are censored, people just do the right thing in there.
>>>

>> That's because they cannot hide behind a pseudonym.

> Sure you can. You can sign-up and change your name to anything you
> want. Just like you can do here.
>
> -sw

Spoken like a true professional woman-stalking virus.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 11:59:53 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 16:03:23 +1000, Jeßus wrote:
>
>> I suppose while faecebook remains popular, they really have no need to
>> push for fundamental changes, as the majority use FB to some extent.
>> Truly a government's surveillance wet dream. No question in my mind at
>> all that the NSA has full access to FB. Yep, I'm wearing my tin-foil
>> hat, in case anyone's curious.

>The government should have invented Facebook and Android. They just
>didn't realize how willing people would be to give up all their
>privacy voluntarily and with glee. It probably even surprised Google
>and Facebook how gullible the general public really were.

It sure surprised me, I think it might be a case of gradual adjustment
and indifference over the years. Had FB tried this say, 15 years ago,
most people would have reacted quite differently. Then again, the
demographics on the Internet (for want of a better term) these days is
a lot different too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>That does not surprise me - way back in the early 90s on a local group
>>>there was a young man whose sig line said "Death to the President of
>>>the USA" - several of us told him it was not a good idea. Then we let
>>>him get on with it.
>>>
>>>Imagine our surprise when on the local news we hear a 23 year old has
>>>been arrested for threatening the president of the USA. He was a
>>>nutter and they let him go after a psych exam but he was not to use a
>>>computer anymore.
>>>
>>>It was a lesson for the rest of us also, as to who was reading what.

>>There's been a few very notable exceptions on Usenet. I'll wager that
>>it wasn't govt monitoring in that case, rather person(s) on Usenet
>>that altered them. I can recall some civil court cases from Usenet
>>too.

>We weren't so sure - his arrest happened just prior to GWB visiting
>Halifax - it seemed too much of a co-incidence.

Fair enough, I'll defer to your direct experience.

>I was going to go
>downtown and protest his visit too but it was bitterly cold and
>protesters were going to be penned up out of his sight, so I decided
>age let me off that one!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/15 9:12 AM, Nancy2 wrote:

> I repeat, nobody "needs" FB.

Your contention is pointless.

The verb "need" is meaningless unless you provide a predicate, usually a
purpose.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/09/2015 1:11 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 06:12:57 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>> Sf, your statement has an implied judgment, which I don't appreciate. Did
>> you not see the part where I said I use email?
>>
>> I repeat, nobody "needs" FB.

> We also don't "need" RFC, yet here we are.

Ah but we 'want' RFC. THAT is the difference!

--

Xeno
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 06:12:57 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>>Sf, your statement has an implied judgment, which I don't appreciate. Did
>>you not see the part where I said I use email?
>>
>>I repeat, nobody "needs" FB.

> We also don't "need" RFC, yet here we are.

OH I don't know. Where would some folk go to get their jollies? Half the
things they do here would get them a severe beating in real life. . It is
very easy to be brave here. That is why I laugh when I see the tough guys
strutting their stuff)
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Xeno" > wrote in message
> On 25/09/2015 1:11 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 06:12:57 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Sf, your statement has an implied judgment, which I don't appreciate.
>>> Did
>>> you not see the part where I said I use email?
>>>
>>> I repeat, nobody "needs" FB.

>> We also don't "need" RFC, yet here we are.
>>

> Ah but we 'want' RFC. THAT is the difference!

Noo some do NEED it, as I said in my previous post)

Bullies of the world unite!!!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Xeno wrote:

> On 25/09/2015 1:11 PM, Bruce wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 06:12:57 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Sf, your statement has an implied judgment, which I don't appreciate. Did
> >> you not see the part where I said I use email?
> >>
> >> I repeat, nobody "needs" FB.

> > We also don't "need" RFC, yet here we are.
> >

> Ah but we 'want' RFC. THAT is the difference!

<Dire Straits>
I want my
I want my
I want my RFC
</Dire Straits>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 10:15:22 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 06:12:57 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2

>>> We also don't "need" RFC, yet here we are.

>>OH I don't know. Where would some folk go to get their jollies? Half the
>>things they do here would get them a severe beating in real life. . It is
>>very easy to be brave here. That is why I laugh when I see the tough guys
>>strutting their stuff)

> Maybe they would start buying gossip magazines and emailing each other
> about the scandalous stuff they've read.

Hmm don't think so. They wouldn't be able to see the hurt and upset they
(hope to) inflict, now would they?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 11:10:10 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> Maybe they would start buying gossip magazines and emailing each other
>>> about the scandalous stuff they've read.

>>Hmm don't think so. They wouldn't be able to see the hurt and upset they
>>(hope to) inflict, now would they?

> You're right in that the sadistic factor would be lacking.

.... along with their enjoyment.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/