Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Gin from Scotland?

Whooda thought the people that make great Scotch whisky also make a
great gin.

http://www.thebotanist.com/distilled/the-22/juniper

Juniper. The 22. Distilled. By The Botanist Islay Dry Gin...
Juniper is revered (even by non-gin drinkers) as the plant of succour €“
Jesus is believed to have been sheltered from Herods wrath by a juniper
bush and Elijah was...
View on www.thebotanist.com

I was at Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge MA yesterday and bought a bottle.
Yankee is a huge liquor store and has an amazing selection of every
type of adult beverage made. I buy Hendricks there cheaper than any
other place and I try to get a bottle of something I've never had before
to try. This is smooth and has a very pleasant flavor. With 22
botanicals I wonder how they come up with the recipe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> Whooda thought the people that make great Scotch whisky also make a great
> gin.
>
> http://www.thebotanist.com/distilled/the-22/juniper
>
> Juniper. The 22. Distilled. By The Botanist Islay Dry Gin...
> Juniper is revered (even by non-gin drinkers) as the plant of succour €“
> Jesus is believed to have been sheltered from Herods wrath by a juniper
> bush and Elijah was...
> View on www.thebotanist.com
>
> I was at Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge MA yesterday and bought a bottle.
> Yankee is a huge liquor store and has an amazing selection of every type
> of adult beverage made. I buy Hendricks there cheaper than any other
> place and I try to get a bottle of something I've never had before to try.
> This is smooth and has a very pleasant flavor. With 22 botanicals I
> wonder how they come up with the recipe.

Not tried it but I might now)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 20:52:19 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> Whooda thought the people that make great Scotch whisky also make a great
>> gin.
>>
>> http://www.thebotanist.com/distilled/the-22/juniper
>>
>> Juniper. The 22. Distilled. By The Botanist Islay Dry Gin...
>> Juniper is revered (even by non-gin drinkers) as the plant of succour –
>> Jesus is believed to have been sheltered from Herod’s wrath by a juniper
>> bush and Elijah was...
>> View on www.thebotanist.com
>>
>> I was at Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge MA yesterday and bought a bottle.
>> Yankee is a huge liquor store and has an amazing selection of every type
>> of adult beverage made. I buy Hendricks there cheaper than any other
>> place and I try to get a bottle of something I've never had before to try.
>> This is smooth and has a very pleasant flavor. With 22 botanicals I
>> wonder how they come up with the recipe.

>Not tried it but I might now)

I had a bourbon made in WI that was pretty nice! Ugly bottle, but good
contents!

Had a conversatioinb with a bartender at a local restaurant who said
the "where it's made" thing to be called a Bourbon" was it had to be
made in the USA, not just Kentucky as I'd learned. Maybe some one here
could break that tie? Else I'm gonna keep saying it had to be made in
Kentucky to be called a "bourbon".

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2015 4:45 PM, John Kuthe wrote:

> I had a bourbon made in WI that was pretty nice! Ugly bottle, but good
> contents!
>
> Had a conversatioinb with a bartender at a local restaurant who said
> the "where it's made" thing to be called a Bourbon" was it had to be
> made in the USA, not just Kentucky as I'd learned. Maybe some one here
> could break that tie? Else I'm gonna keep saying it had to be made in
> Kentucky to be called a "bourbon".
>
> John Kuthe...

95% is made in KY, but it does not have to be.

On May 4, 1964, the United States Congress recognized bourbon whiskey as
a "distinctive product of the United States" by concurrent resolution.
Bourbon may be produced anywhere in the United States where it is legal
to distill spirits, but most brands are produced in Kentucky, where
bourbon production has a strong historical association.[28] Iron-free
water that has been filtered through the high concentrations of
limestone, unique to the area, is often touted by bourbon distillers in
Kentucky as a signature step in the bourbon-making process.[29]

The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5)
state that bourbon made for U.S. consumption[17] must be:

Produced in the United States[18]
Made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn[18]
Aged in new, charred oak barrels[18]
Distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume)[18]
Entered into the barrel for aging at no more than 125 proof (62.5%
alcohol by volume)[18]
Bottled (like other whiskeys) at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol by
volume)[19]
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 17:05:40 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 9/13/2015 4:45 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
>

>> I had a bourbon made in WI that was pretty nice! Ugly bottle, but good
>> contents!
>>
>> Had a conversatioinb with a bartender at a local restaurant who said
>> the "where it's made" thing to be called a Bourbon" was it had to be
>> made in the USA, not just Kentucky as I'd learned. Maybe some one here
>> could break that tie? Else I'm gonna keep saying it had to be made in
>> Kentucky to be called a "bourbon".
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>95% is made in KY, but it does not have to be.
>
>On May 4, 1964, the United States Congress recognized bourbon whiskey as
>a "distinctive product of the United States" by concurrent resolution.
>Bourbon may be produced anywhere in the United States where it is legal
>to distill spirits, but most brands are produced in Kentucky, where
>bourbon production has a strong historical association.[28] Iron-free
>water that has been filtered through the high concentrations of
>limestone, unique to the area, is often touted by bourbon distillers in
>Kentucky as a signature step in the bourbon-making process.[29]
>>

>The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5)
>state that bourbon made for U.S. consumption[17] must be:
>
>Produced in the United States[18]
>Made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn[18]
>Aged in new, charred oak barrels[18]
>Distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume)[18]
>Entered into the barrel for aging at no more than 125 proof (62.5%
>alcohol by volume)[18]
>Bottled (like other whiskeys) at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol by
>volume)[19]

I'll bet Missouri has enough freshwater limestone filtered spring
water to make a bourbon, and we certainly have the oak! Problem
commercially is it's all former LAD land, or as I call it Drey land!

Can't be commerciaized.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 16:38:48 -0500, John Kuthe >
wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 17:05:40 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>>On 9/13/2015 4:45 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
>>

>>> I had a bourbon made in WI that was pretty nice! Ugly bottle, but good
>>> contents!
>>>
>>> Had a conversatioinb with a bartender at a local restaurant who said
>>> the "where it's made" thing to be called a Bourbon" was it had to be
>>> made in the USA, not just Kentucky as I'd learned. Maybe some one here
>>> could break that tie? Else I'm gonna keep saying it had to be made in
>>> Kentucky to be called a "bourbon".
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...

>>95% is made in KY, but it does not have to be.
>>
>>On May 4, 1964, the United States Congress recognized bourbon whiskey as
>>a "distinctive product of the United States" by concurrent resolution.
>>Bourbon may be produced anywhere in the United States where it is legal
>>to distill spirits, but most brands are produced in Kentucky, where
>>bourbon production has a strong historical association.[28] Iron-free
>>water that has been filtered through the high concentrations of
>>limestone, unique to the area, is often touted by bourbon distillers in
>>Kentucky as a signature step in the bourbon-making process.[29]
>>>

>>The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5)
>>state that bourbon made for U.S. consumption[17] must be:
>>
>>Produced in the United States[18]
>>Made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn[18]
>>Aged in new, charred oak barrels[18]
>>Distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume)[18]
>>Entered into the barrel for aging at no more than 125 proof (62.5%
>>alcohol by volume)[18]
>>Bottled (like other whiskeys) at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol by
>>volume)[19]

>I'll bet Missouri has enough freshwater limestone filtered spring
>water to make a bourbon, and we certainly have the oak! Problem
>commercially is it's all former LAD land, or as I call it Drey land!
>
>Can't be commerciaized.
>
>John Kuthe...

He

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCjZ0CkIpF0

Leo just died recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=11&v=a-we5ZyqYGU

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-13 20:45:30 +0000, John Kuthe said:

> I had a bourbon made in WI that was pretty nice! Ugly bottle, but good
> contents!

I had a bourbon made in Chicago and it was terrible. Actually it
tasted so much like a full-bodied rye I shouldn't say it was terrible;
but as a *bourbon* it was terrible.

> Had a conversatioinb with a bartender at a local restaurant who said
> the "where it's made" thing to be called a Bourbon" was it had to be
> made in the USA, not just Kentucky as I'd learned. Maybe some one here
> could break that tie? Else I'm gonna keep saying it had to be made in
> Kentucky to be called a "bourbon".

The thing to look for is "Kentucky bourbon"...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-13 19:31:05 +0000, Ed Pawlowski said:

> Whooda thought the people that make great Scotch whisky also make a great gin.
>
> http://www.thebotanist.com/distilled/the-22/juniper

Don't forget that Gordon's and Tanqueray are both Scotch Gin too.

I've had Hendrick's of course, but also Caorunn, which was quite good.
More on the floral side, but I like that kind just fine. I believe
I've tried "The Botanist" but don't recall my response.

> Juniper. The 22. Distilled. By The Botanist Islay Dry Gin...
> Juniper is revered (even by non-gin drinkers) as the plant of succour €“
> Jesus is believed to have been sheltered from Herods wrath by a
> juniper bush and Elijah was...
> View on www.thebotanist.com
>
> I was at Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge MA yesterday and bought a bottle.
> Yankee is a huge liquor store and has an amazing selection of every
> type of adult beverage made. I buy Hendricks there cheaper than any
> other place and I try to get a bottle of something I've never had
> before to try. This is smooth and has a very pleasant flavor. With 22
> botanicals I wonder how they come up with the recipe.

I can't imagine, I know Botanist has 33.

For a surprising long and deep survey of Scotch Gins, try he

http://ginclubscotland.com/scottish-gins/

I assume most of them are not available in the USA.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 15:14:56 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>On 2015-09-13 20:45:30 +0000, John Kuthe said:
>
>> I had a bourbon made in WI that was pretty nice! Ugly bottle, but good
>> contents!

>I had a bourbon made in Chicago and it was terrible. Actually it
>tasted so much like a full-bodied rye I shouldn't say it was terrible;
>but as a *bourbon* it was terrible.
>
>> Had a conversatioinb with a bartender at a local restaurant who said
>> the "where it's made" thing to be called a Bourbon" was it had to be
>> made in the USA, not just Kentucky as I'd learned. Maybe some one here
>> could break that tie? Else I'm gonna keep saying it had to be made in
>> Kentucky to be called a "bourbon".

>The thing to look for is "Kentucky bourbon"...

Well I just read how it was officialy made "made in USA" in 1964, but
I;ll bet befoire that it was made in Kentucky, made out of new
American made oak barrels and at least 51% corn.

I'm gonna stick with tradition. Besides my joke about Jack Daniels is
a fine Tennesee whiskey, but it's NOT a bourbon because it's not made
in Kentucky!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 15:31:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>Whooda thought the people that make great Scotch whisky also make a
>great gin.
>
>http://www.thebotanist.com/distilled/the-22/juniper
>
>Juniper. The 22. Distilled. By The Botanist Islay Dry Gin...
>Juniper is revered (even by non-gin drinkers) as the plant of succour –
>Jesus is believed to have been sheltered from Herod’s wrath by a juniper
>bush and Elijah was...
>View on www.thebotanist.com
>
>I was at Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge MA yesterday and bought a bottle.
> Yankee is a huge liquor store and has an amazing selection of every
>type of adult beverage made. I buy Hendricks there cheaper than any
>other place and I try to get a bottle of something I've never had before
>to try. This is smooth and has a very pleasant flavor. With 22
>botanicals I wonder how they come up with the recipe.

Any Pappy Van Winkle 15 year old Reserve?

Best bourbon I ever had!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2015 6:21 PM, gtr wrote:

> Don't forget that Gordon's and Tanqueray are both Scotch Gin too.
>
> I've had Hendrick's of course, but also Caorunn, which was quite good.
> More on the floral side, but I like that kind just fine. I believe I've
> tried "The Botanist" but don't recall my response.
>

> For a surprising long and deep survey of Scotch Gins, try he
>
> http://ginclubscotland.com/scottish-gins/
>
> I assume most of them are not available in the USA.

I don't recall seeing any of them but I'll look closer next time. I was
surprised at the 70% figure.

Scottish gins have a great rep. Over 70% of gin made in the UK is
produced in Scotland, including three of the bestsellers €“ Hendricks,
Tanqueray and €“ youve guessed it €“ Gordons, the worlds number one
London Dry Gin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 15:31:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>Whooda thought the people that make great Scotch whisky also make a
>great gin.
>
>http://www.thebotanist.com/distilled/the-22/juniper
>
>Juniper. The 22. Distilled. By The Botanist Islay Dry Gin...
>Juniper is revered (even by non-gin drinkers) as the plant of succour –
>Jesus is believed to have been sheltered from Herod’s wrath by a juniper
>bush and Elijah was...
>View on www.thebotanist.com
>
>I was at Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge MA yesterday and bought a bottle.
> Yankee is a huge liquor store and has an amazing selection of every
>type of adult beverage made. I buy Hendricks there cheaper than any
>other place and I try to get a bottle of something I've never had before
>to try. This is smooth and has a very pleasant flavor. With 22
>botanicals I wonder how they come up with the recipe.

I read about it recently. There must be an effort to promote it to
further markets.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 18:07:05 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 15:31:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>>Whooda thought the people that make great Scotch whisky also make a
>>great gin.
>>
>>http://www.thebotanist.com/distilled/the-22/juniper
>>
>>Juniper. The 22. Distilled. By The Botanist Islay Dry Gin...
>>Juniper is revered (even by non-gin drinkers) as the plant of succour –
>>Jesus is believed to have been sheltered from Herod’s wrath by a juniper
>>bush and Elijah was...
>>View on www.thebotanist.com
>>
>>I was at Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge MA yesterday and bought a bottle.
>> Yankee is a huge liquor store and has an amazing selection of every
>>type of adult beverage made. I buy Hendricks there cheaper than any
>>other place and I try to get a bottle of something I've never had before
>>to try. This is smooth and has a very pleasant flavor. With 22
>>botanicals I wonder how they come up with the recipe.

>I read about it recently. There must be an effort to promote it to
>further markets.
>Janet US

Distilleries are trying all sorts of things. Maker's Mark makes
Maker's 46 and cask strength, and the cask strength was really
unremarkable. The 46 was stronger Maker's Mark flavor whiich was
expected, but I like the original better.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-13 23:35:09 +0000, John Kuthe said:

> On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 15:14:56 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>
>> On 2015-09-13 20:45:30 +0000, John Kuthe said:
>>
>>> I had a bourbon made in WI that was pretty nice! Ugly bottle, but good
>>> contents!

>> I had a bourbon made in Chicago and it was terrible. Actually it
>> tasted so much like a full-bodied rye I shouldn't say it was terrible;
>> but as a *bourbon* it was terrible.
>>
>>> Had a conversatioinb with a bartender at a local restaurant who said
>>> the "where it's made" thing to be called a Bourbon" was it had to be
>>> made in the USA, not just Kentucky as I'd learned. Maybe some one here
>>> could break that tie? Else I'm gonna keep saying it had to be made in
>>> Kentucky to be called a "bourbon".

>> The thing to look for is "Kentucky bourbon"...

> Well I just read how it was officialy made "made in USA" in 1964, but
> I;ll bet befoire that it was made in Kentucky, made out of new
> American made oak barrels and at least 51% corn.
>
> I'm gonna stick with tradition. Besides my joke about Jack Daniels is
> a fine Tennesee whiskey, but it's NOT a bourbon because it's not made
> in Kentucky!

It's also not a bourbon because it doesn't taste like bourbon to me.
It's a fine sour mash whisky, but comparing it to some of my favorite
bourbons (4 Roses followee by Belle Meade, Knob Creek, Maker's Mark,
Old Grandad), it's has surprising sweetness. Not a bad-rap, mind you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-13 23:37:36 +0000, Ed Pawlowski said:

> On 9/13/2015 6:21 PM, gtr wrote:
>

>> Don't forget that Gordon's and Tanqueray are both Scotch Gin too.
>>
>> I've had Hendrick's of course, but also Caorunn, which was quite good.
>> More on the floral side, but I like that kind just fine. I believe I've
>> tried "The Botanist" but don't recall my response.
>>

>> For a surprising long and deep survey of Scotch Gins, try he
>>
>> http://ginclubscotland.com/scottish-gins/
>>
>> I assume most of them are not available in the USA.
>>

> I don't recall seeing any of them but I'll look closer next time. I
> was surprised at the 70% figure.
>
> Scottish gins have a great rep. Over 70% of gin made in the UK is
> produced in Scotland, including three of the bestsellers €“ Hendricks,
> Tanqueray and €“ youve guessed it €“ Gordons, the worlds number one
> London Dry Gin.

Some of my favorites are Dutch; Damrak (getting hard to find) and
Zuidam (no longer imported). I usually have a bottle of
Icelandic/British Martin Miller, but *always* have a 1.7 liter bottle
of Beefeater's serving duty between my boutique choice. Beefeater's is
almost always what I call in a bar, with Hendricks close behind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-14 01:13:13 +0000, John Kuthe said:

> Distilleries are trying all sorts of things. Maker's Mark makes
> Maker's 46 and cask strength, and the cask strength was really
> unremarkable. The 46 was stronger Maker's Mark flavor whiich was
> expected, but I like the original better.

I'm drinking the Four Roses single barrel 101 proof (that's cask
strength, right?), but of course I give it a spritz of carbo water
which puts it back around 85 where I like it. It really is incredibly
fantastic. I keep going back and forth between this Four Roses single
barrel and the Four Roses small batch (85-ish) and trying to explain to
myself why I like the single barrel slightly more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 18:17:01 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>On 2015-09-13 23:35:09 +0000, John Kuthe said:

>>> I had a bourbon made in Chicago and it was terrible. Actually it
>>> tasted so much like a full-bodied rye I shouldn't say it was terrible;
>>> but as a *bourbon* it was terrible.

>>> The thing to look for is "Kentucky bourbon"...

>> Well I just read how it was officialy made "made in USA" in 1964, but
>> I;ll bet befoire that it was made in Kentucky, made out of new
>> American made oak barrels and at least 51% corn.
>>
>> I'm gonna stick with tradition. Besides my joke about Jack Daniels is
>> a fine Tennesee whiskey, but it's NOT a bourbon because it's not made
>> in Kentucky!

>It's also not a bourbon because it doesn't taste like bourbon to me.
>It's a fine sour mash whisky, but comparing it to some of my favorite
>bourbons (4 Roses followee by Belle Meade, Knob Creek, Maker's Mark,
>Old Grandad), it's has surprising sweetness. Not a bad-rap, mind you.

Yeah, I always liked Jack Black OK. Maker's is my go-to bourbon
though.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 18:26:13 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>On 2015-09-14 01:13:13 +0000, John Kuthe said:
>
>> Distilleries are trying all sorts of things. Maker's Mark makes
>> Maker's 46 and cask strength, and the cask strength was really
>> unremarkable. The 46 was stronger Maker's Mark flavor whiich was
>> expected, but I like the original better.

>I'm drinking the Four Roses single barrel 101 proof (that's cask
>strength, right?), but of course I give it a spritz of carbo water
>which puts it back around 85 where I like it. It really is incredibly
>fantastic. I keep going back and forth between this Four Roses single
>barrel and the Four Roses small batch (85-ish) and trying to explain to
>myself why I like the single barrel slightly more.

Four Roses is some fine Fresh Squeezed Kentucky Corn Juice, as I say!!

Best I ever had: Pappy Van Winkle's 15 year old Reserve!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2015 10:06 PM, John Kuthe wrote:

> Yeah, I always liked Jack Black OK. Maker's is my go-to bourbon
> though.
>
> John Kuthe...

Same here. I usually keep two bourbons and MM has been one of them for
a long time. The other one varies to what looks good when I'm in the
store.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/13/2015 10:06 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
>

>> Yeah, I always liked Jack Black OK. Maker's is my go-to bourbon
>> though.
>>
>> John Kuthe...
>>

> Same here. I usually keep two bourbons and MM has been one of them for a
> long time. The other one varies to what looks good when I'm in the store.

Here too. MM is our preference.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 19:25:50 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> On 9/13/2015 10:06 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
>>

>>> Yeah, I always liked Jack Black OK. Maker's is my go-to bourbon
>>> though.
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...
>>>

>> Same here. I usually keep two bourbons and MM has been one of them for a
>> long time. The other one varies to what looks good when I'm in the store.

>Here too. MM is our preference.
>
>Cheri

Pretty tasty and easy drinking Fine Fresh Squeezed Kentucky Corn Juice
(another reason I'm keeping Kentucky!)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 19:25:50 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

>>> Same here. I usually keep two bourbons and MM has been one of them for
>>> long time. The other one varies to what looks good when I'm in the
>>> store.

>>Here too. MM is our preference.
>>
>>Cheri

> Pretty tasty and easy drinking Fine Fresh Squeezed Kentucky Corn Juice
> (another reason I'm keeping Kentucky!)
>
> John Kuthe...

Good plan.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-14 02:23:59 +0000, Ed Pawlowski said:

> On 9/13/2015 10:06 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
>

>> Yeah, I always liked Jack Black OK. Maker's is my go-to bourbon
>> though.

> Same here. I usually keep two bourbons and MM has been one of them for
> a long time. The other one varies to what looks good when I'm in the
> store.

If you find it convenient, try Four Roses or Belle Meade. I'd be
interested to know what you think. I've gotten to be a big fan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 6:21:19 PM UTC-4, gtr wrote:

> Don't forget that Gordon's and Tanqueray are both Scotch Gin too.

I've always thought of gin as a French drink made and drunk by the English. It looks like I may be wrong.

Where is most gin made and drunk? As to origin, knowledge of this seems to be lost.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-14, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> Same here. I usually keep two bourbons and MM has been one of them for
> a long time. The other one varies to what looks good when I'm in the
> store.

I usta drink Jack, back when it was fashionable and I was young and
stupid. I finally realized Jack is crap and refused to drink any
more. Much later, I had a Bourbon revival and discovered Makers Mark.
Wow. I'm sure many young ppl had the same revelation as myself. I've
loved Bourbon ever since. My fave is Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit,
when I can afford it, 101 when I can't. I'll not touch ANY Jim Beam
products, including their "B" Bourbon line. Yer mention of MM demands
I revisit that great life-changing hooch.

BTW, I still will not drink Jack Black.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-14 12:29:51 +0000, Helpful person said:

> On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 6:21:19 PM UTC-4, gtr wrote:
>>
>> Don't forget that Gordon's and Tanqueray are both Scotch Gin too.
>>

> I've always thought of gin as a French drink made and drunk by the
> English. It looks like I may be wrong.
>
> Where is most gin made and drunk? As to origin, knowledge of this
> seems to be lost.

Originally Dutch, and originally much sweeter than modern gin. That
stuff is now called genever. The British took a different approach now
called "Londond Dry". That has been the general course of activity for
around a century. Over the past 20+ years a more floral and less
juniper heavy gin has become a significant part of the market.

If you snoop around (as I did some man years ago), there's plenty of
blabber out there about gin.

If you expand your perception of gin to include any neutral sprit
(vodka) that has been infused outside the distillation process (such as
some aquavits) it becomes more tricky.

> http://www.richardfisher.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 08:30:49 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>On 2015-09-14 12:29:51 +0000, Helpful person said:
>
>> On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 6:21:19 PM UTC-4, gtr wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't forget that Gordon's and Tanqueray are both Scotch Gin too.
>>>

>> I've always thought of gin as a French drink made and drunk by the
>> English. It looks like I may be wrong.
>>
>> Where is most gin made and drunk? As to origin, knowledge of this
>> seems to be lost.

>Originally Dutch, and originally much sweeter than modern gin. That
>stuff is now called genever. The British took a different approach now
>called "Londond Dry". That has been the general course of activity for
>around a century. Over the past 20+ years a more floral and less
>juniper heavy gin has become a significant part of the market.
>
>If you snoop around (as I did some man years ago), there's plenty of
>blabber out there about gin.
>
>If you expand your perception of gin to include any neutral sprit
>(vodka) that has been infused outside the distillation process (such as
>some aquavits) it becomes more tricky.
>
>> http://www.richardfisher.com

Gin: the worst thing to do with juniper berries!! :-(

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The English got it from the Dutch. The Dutch are the earliest known gin producers. The Wikipedia page has a good summary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gin#History

> Where is most gin made and drunk?

The Philippines (about 43% of world production and consumption). The biggest Philippine brand is 27% of the world market. The USA is the 2nd biggest consumer, and Spain is the 3rd (and the biggest per capita consumer). UK is the biggest exporter, and the UK and USA are probably the 2nd and 3rd biggest producers (the big UK brands are made in both UK and USA, and I don't know the split, so don't know which is the bigger producer).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/09/2015 08:31 pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Whooda thought the people that make great Scotch whisky also make a
> great gin.
>
> http://www.thebotanist.com/distilled/the-22/juniper
>
> Juniper. The 22. Distilled. By The Botanist Islay Dry Gin...
> Juniper is revered (even by non-gin drinkers) as the plant of succour €“
> Jesus is believed to have been sheltered from Herods wrath by a juniper
> bush and Elijah was...
> View on www.thebotanist.com
>
> I was at Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge MA yesterday and bought a bottle.
> Yankee is a huge liquor store and has an amazing selection of every
> type of adult beverage made. I buy Hendricks there cheaper than any
> other place and I try to get a bottle of something I've never had before
> to try. This is smooth and has a very pleasant flavor. With 22
> botanicals I wonder how they come up with the recipe.

Gordon's Dry London Gin is actually made in Scotland!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon%27s_Gin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2015 3:18 AM, Jon wrote:
> On 13/09/2015 08:31 pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Whooda thought the people that make great Scotch whisky also make a
>> great gin.
>>
>> http://www.thebotanist.com/distilled/the-22/juniper
>>
>> Juniper. The 22. Distilled. By The Botanist Islay Dry Gin...
>> Juniper is revered (even by non-gin drinkers) as the plant of succour €“
>> Jesus is believed to have been sheltered from Herods wrath by a juniper
>> bush and Elijah was...
>> View on www.thebotanist.com
>>
>> I was at Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge MA yesterday and bought a bottle.
>> Yankee is a huge liquor store and has an amazing selection of every
>> type of adult beverage made. I buy Hendricks there cheaper than any
>> other place and I try to get a bottle of something I've never had before
>> to try. This is smooth and has a very pleasant flavor. With 22
>> botanicals I wonder how they come up with the recipe.

> Gordon's Dry London Gin is actually made in Scotland!
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon%27s_Gin

No one would ever dare question a Scot's distilling acumen.

TN: mostly dull wines in mostly wet Scotland DaleW Wine 3 25-06-2012 06:31 PM
Another memory from my childhood in Scotland It Wuznie Me General Cooking 6 12-03-2008 04:42 AM
Buy quark in Scotland? Mikey General Cooking 6 26-09-2004 09:01 PM
Scotland Chuck Reid Wine 3 25-06-2004 08:13 AM
Aviemore, Scotland Lesley Gault Restaurants 3 25-02-2004 10:43 AM