Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Taco salad shells

I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
shells from tortillas. But... They came with no instructions. I just
winged it. Softened the flour tortillas slightly in the microwave.
Attempted to fit them into the molds. Maybe needed to soften them a tiny
bit more as they didn't entirely conform but the end result as far as shape
was fine. They worked. But... They didn't crisp up!

I had the oven on to 350 as I was baking a carrot cake. I took them out
when the edges began to brown as I didn't want them to burn. but the
bottoms were still a bit soft. Letting them sit for a few minutes seemed to
help. My husband ate his right away. No complaints. But I am dawdling
over mine and now it has sort of melted down to a soggy mess.

So where did I go wrong? Should I have oiled the tortilla? Baked it at a
different temp.? Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 10:43:04 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
> shells from tortillas.

I know before even touching my keyboard you will shoot my
suggestions down and everybody else who is crazy enough to
reply to you. But you could have saved yourself some money
and just draped the tortillas over and inverted metal bowl.

I know, I know, it wouldn't work in your kitchen. Carry on.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 20:42:49 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
>shells from tortillas. But... They came with no instructions. I just
>winged it. Softened the flour tortillas slightly in the microwave.
>Attempted to fit them into the molds. Maybe needed to soften them a tiny
>bit more as they didn't entirely conform but the end result as far as shape
>was fine. They worked. But... They didn't crisp up!
>
>I had the oven on to 350 as I was baking a carrot cake. I took them out
>when the edges began to brown as I didn't want them to burn. but the
>bottoms were still a bit soft. Letting them sit for a few minutes seemed to
>help. My husband ate his right away. No complaints. But I am dawdling
>over mine and now it has sort of melted down to a soggy mess.
>
>So where did I go wrong? Should I have oiled the tortilla? Baked it at a
>different temp.? Thanks.

I think the crispy taco salad shells are fried.

I KNOW they contain a lot of fat.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 10:43:04 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
>> shells from tortillas.
>>

> I know before even touching my keyboard you will shoot my
> suggestions down and everybody else who is crazy enough to
> reply to you. But you could have saved yourself some money
> and just draped the tortillas over and inverted metal bowl.

Gee... Then I would have something bowl shaped. Unlike the fluted shape of
the shells that I wanted.

> I know, I know, it wouldn't work in your kitchen. Carry on.

I'm not going to distort my bowls.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 20:42:49 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
>>shells from tortillas. But... They came with no instructions. I just
>>winged it. Softened the flour tortillas slightly in the microwave.
>>Attempted to fit them into the molds. Maybe needed to soften them a tiny
>>bit more as they didn't entirely conform but the end result as far as
>>shape
>>was fine. They worked. But... They didn't crisp up!
>>
>>I had the oven on to 350 as I was baking a carrot cake. I took them out
>>when the edges began to brown as I didn't want them to burn. but the
>>bottoms were still a bit soft. Letting them sit for a few minutes seemed
>>help. My husband ate his right away. No complaints. But I am dawdling
>>over mine and now it has sort of melted down to a soggy mess.
>>
>>So where did I go wrong? Should I have oiled the tortilla? Baked it at a
>>different temp.? Thanks.

> I think the crispy taco salad shells are fried.
>
> I KNOW they contain a lot of fat.
>
> John Kuthe...

Yeah. But I'm not going to start frying things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 20:42:49 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
>> shells from tortillas. But... They came with no instructions. I just
>> winged it. Softened the flour tortillas slightly in the microwave.
>> Attempted to fit them into the molds. Maybe needed to soften them a tiny
>> bit more as they didn't entirely conform but the end result as far as
>> shape
>> was fine. They worked. But... They didn't crisp up!

> Of course not. They're supposed to be fried to crisp up. The only
> thing you can do in the oven is dehydrate them, but you won't like the
> texture. Sure, you can dredge them in oil and then bake, but the
> texture will still not be what you get in restaurants.
>
> What did you find out when you searched the web for how to use those
> molds to make salad bowls?

I didn't look online. I've been busy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 12:00:48 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message

> > On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 10:43:04 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >> I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
> >> shells from tortillas.
> >>

> > I know before even touching my keyboard you will shoot my
> > suggestions down and everybody else who is crazy enough to
> > reply to you. But you could have saved yourself some money
> > and just draped the tortillas over and inverted metal bowl.

> Gee... Then I would have something bowl shaped. Unlike the fluted shape of
> the shells that I wanted.
> >
> > I know, I know, it wouldn't work in your kitchen. Carry on.

> I'm not going to distort my bowls.

Eye roll. Not surprised at your silly answer at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 10:43:04 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
>> shells from tortillas.
>>

> I know before even touching my keyboard you will shoot my
> suggestions down and everybody else who is crazy enough to
> reply to you. But you could have saved yourself some money
> and just draped the tortillas over and inverted metal bowl.
>
> I know, I know, it wouldn't work in your kitchen. Carry on.

Over an upside down microwave safe bowl in the microwave works fine too,
just have to watch them carefully.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 12:00:48 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message

>> > I know before even touching my keyboard you will shoot my
>> > suggestions down and everybody else who is crazy enough to
>> > reply to you. But you could have saved yourself some money
>> > and just draped the tortillas over and inverted metal bowl.

>> Gee... Then I would have something bowl shaped. Unlike the fluted shape
>> of
>> the shells that I wanted.
>> >
>> > I know, I know, it wouldn't work in your kitchen. Carry on.

>> I'm not going to distort my bowls.
>>

> Eye roll. Not surprised at your silly answer at all.

Have you never eaten one? If you have, did you really have a shell that was
bowl shaped? I never have.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 10:43:04 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
>>> shells from tortillas.
>>>

>> I know before even touching my keyboard you will shoot my
>> suggestions down and everybody else who is crazy enough to
>> reply to you. But you could have saved yourself some money
>> and just draped the tortillas over and inverted metal bowl.
>>
>> I know, I know, it wouldn't work in your kitchen. Carry on.

> Over an upside down microwave safe bowl in the microwave works fine too,
> just have to watch them carefully.

I suppose that would work if I wanted a bowl shape. I have never actually
seen a taco salad served in a bowl shaped shell. Always the crown shape.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> So where did I go wrong? Should I have oiled the tortilla? Baked it at a
> different temp.? Thanks.

I would Google it and look at 3-4 hits and see what they say.

Just guessing here, I think some of the others are correct in saying
that they need to be fried.

To cook in the oven, I would try lightly oiling them, press into the
mold and then bake at a higher temp than 350 for less time. I would
try 450-475

You just need to experiment and you'll get it right.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Cheri" wrote
> > Over an upside down microwave safe bowl in the microwave works fine too,
> > just have to watch them carefully.

> I suppose that would work if I wanted a bowl shape. I have never actually
> seen a taco salad served in a bowl shaped shell. Always the crown shape.

Isn't a crown shape just a fancier bowl? For family home eating, does
it really matter as long as it's cooked right and holds whatever
filling?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 5:24:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> >
> > > wrote in message

> >> I know before even touching my keyboard you will shoot my
> >> suggestions down and everybody else who is crazy enough to
> >> reply to you. But you could have saved yourself some money
> >> and just draped the tortillas over and inverted metal bowl.
> >>
> >> I know, I know, it wouldn't work in your kitchen. Carry on.

> > Over an upside down microwave safe bowl in the microwave works fine too,
> > just have to watch them carefully.

> I suppose that would work if I wanted a bowl shape. I have never actually
> seen a taco salad served in a bowl shaped shell. Always the crown shape.

Why does the exact shape matter? It's a thingy to hold a salad.
An actual bowl would work as well.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> So where did I go wrong? Should I have oiled the tortilla? Baked it at
>> different temp.? Thanks.

> I would Google it and look at 3-4 hits and see what they say.
>
> Just guessing here, I think some of the others are correct in saying
> that they need to be fried.
>
> To cook in the oven, I would try lightly oiling them, press into the
> mold and then bake at a higher temp than 350 for less time. I would
> try 450-475
>
> You just need to experiment and you'll get it right.

I have since looked and it said 375 for 10-15 minutes. I did not time mine
but I would say more like 4-5 minutes at the most. Also the pics that I see
online are quite dark. I feared burning so took them out when they were
just beginning to brown. At any rate, everyone loved the taco salads and
the other two loved their Seahawks Nachos. Albertsons sells various colored
chips, freshly made.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Cheri" wrote
>> > Over an upside down microwave safe bowl in the microwave works fine
>> > too,
>> > just have to watch them carefully.

>> I suppose that would work if I wanted a bowl shape. I have never
>> actually
>> seen a taco salad served in a bowl shaped shell. Always the crown shape.

> Isn't a crown shape just a fancier bowl? For family home eating, does
> it really matter as long as it's cooked right and holds whatever
> filling?

Not in my opinion. I like to tuck things like olives into the points of the
crown shape. When I make things like taco salads, they do look fancy. If
you had just a bowl shape, I think it would lead to a big, sloppy mess.
Besides... I already bought the molds. They were super cheap. And I
intended to use them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

>> > Over an upside down microwave safe bowl in the microwave works fine
>> > too,
>> > just have to watch them carefully.

>> I suppose that would work if I wanted a bowl shape. I have never
>> actually
>> seen a taco salad served in a bowl shaped shell. Always the crown shape.

> Why does the exact shape matter? It's a thingy to hold a salad.
> An actual bowl would work as well.

Like I said to Gary... With the crown shape, you can tuck things in so they
don't roll around and fling out. Like olives or little round tomatoes.
Besides, I had asked about the molds specifically because that is what I
used. I used them because I specifically wanted that shape.

I do not much like making salads. I find them to be rather boring. So when
I do make them, I go all out. I have gotten compliments from strangers
about the way I arrange stuff at a salad bar. And my taco salads are no
different. I used to take the ingredients to make them at the dance studio
and people there commented that they looked good.

I do remember getting a taco salad at Taco Bell in CA. That was before I
knew of all the crap that they put in their food. I will not eat there now.
I actually can't, but that's beside the point. Now I don't remember what
shape the shell from there was. Perhaps it was a bowl. I just remember
that it was a big mess by the time that I got it home. Nothing but a slop
fest. I wound up giving it to my husband. He did eat a little of it but
even he didn't like it. I had asked for no sour cream and they seemed to
have put extra on there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The best part of eating the Taco Salad is eating the bottom and about
an inch up the side walls of the shell after it gets soggy with
refried beans and cheese sitting on the bottom.

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 7:20:39 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

> >> I suppose that would work if I wanted a bowl shape. I have never
> >> actually
> >> seen a taco salad served in a bowl shaped shell. Always the crown shape.

> > Why does the exact shape matter? It's a thingy to hold a salad.
> > An actual bowl would work as well.

> Like I said to Gary... With the crown shape, you can tuck things in so they
> don't roll around and fling out. Like olives or little round tomatoes.
> Besides, I had asked about the molds specifically because that is what I
> used. I used them because I specifically wanted that shape.
>
> I do not much like making salads. I find them to be rather boring. So when
> I do make them, I go all out. I have gotten compliments from strangers
> about the way I arrange stuff at a salad bar. And my taco salads are no
> different. I used to take the ingredients to make them at the dance studio
> and people there commented that they looked good.

Fair enough. I don't like taco salads, so the nuances are lost on me.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 20:42:49 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
>shells from tortillas. But... They came with no instructions. I just
>winged it. Softened the flour tortillas slightly in the microwave.
>Attempted to fit them into the molds. Maybe needed to soften them a tiny
>bit more as they didn't entirely conform but the end result as far as shape
>was fine. They worked. But... They didn't crisp up!
>
>I had the oven on to 350 as I was baking a carrot cake. I took them out
>when the edges began to brown as I didn't want them to burn. but the
>bottoms were still a bit soft. Letting them sit for a few minutes seemed to
>help. My husband ate his right away. No complaints. But I am dawdling
>over mine and now it has sort of melted down to a soggy mess.
>
>So where did I go wrong? Should I have oiled the tortilla? Baked it at a
>different temp.? Thanks.

http://www.theyummylife.com/tortilla_bowls

http://www.livestrong.com/article/53...o-salad-bowls/

You're welcome.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/11/2015 9:02 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 7:20:39 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Why does the exact shape matter? It's a thingy to hold a salad.
>>> An actual bowl would work as well.

>> Like I said to Gary... With the crown shape, you can tuck things in so they
>> don't roll around and fling out. Like olives or little round tomatoes.
>> Besides, I had asked about the molds specifically because that is what I
>> used. I used them because I specifically wanted that shape.
>>
>> I do not much like making salads. I find them to be rather boring. So when
>> I do make them, I go all out. I have gotten compliments from strangers
>> about the way I arrange stuff at a salad bar. And my taco salads are no
>> different. I used to take the ingredients to make them at the dance studio
>> and people there commented that they looked good.

> Fair enough. I don't like taco salads, so the nuances are lost on me.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I believe those taco molds are intended to be used with corn tortillas,
not flour tortillas. Flour tortillas aren't supposed to be crisp nor
are they used in what I've seen called a "taco salad".

She says she doesnt much like making salads. In other threads,
according to her, she practically grazes at the salad bar at the
supermarket. Oh, wait, the supermarket changed hands. Gotta bitch
about that! Olives! Oh boy! I'm pretty sure they don't have taco
shells at the salad bar at the grocery store.

It's just another thing for her to buy and then complain about. Nothing
ever seems to turn out well. Pity party!

Ever notice how when people post about food and recipes that turned out
great she has no comment?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie, go on YouTube, the directions are there in a tutorial. They say 7 to 10 minutes at 400°. There's a demonstration of how to use the molds. The tortillas looked crispy.

Denise in NH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 22:01:02 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 20:42:49 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
>>>shells from tortillas. But... They came with no instructions. I just
>>>winged it. Softened the flour tortillas slightly in the microwave.
>>>Attempted to fit them into the molds. Maybe needed to soften them a tiny
>>>bit more as they didn't entirely conform but the end result as far as
>>>shape
>>>was fine. They worked. But... They didn't crisp up!
>>>
>>>I had the oven on to 350 as I was baking a carrot cake. I took them out
>>>when the edges began to brown as I didn't want them to burn. but the
>>>bottoms were still a bit soft. Letting them sit for a few minutes seemed
>>>help. My husband ate his right away. No complaints. But I am dawdling
>>>over mine and now it has sort of melted down to a soggy mess.
>>>
>>>So where did I go wrong? Should I have oiled the tortilla? Baked it at a
>>>different temp.? Thanks.

>> I think the crispy taco salad shells are fried.
>>
>> I KNOW they contain a lot of fat.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>Yeah. But I'm not going to start frying things.

Then you are not gonna make what you are desiring.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>So where did I go wrong? Should I have oiled the tortilla? Baked it at a
>different temp.? Thanks.

I make them all the time and they get crispy, turn your oven up to 400 and
they should turn out fine.
-Kody

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I believe those taco molds are intended to be used with corn tortillas,
> not flour tortillas. Flour tortillas aren't supposed to be crisp nor
> are they used in what I've seen called a "taco salad".

I think you are correct there, Jill. Corn tortillas are the ones I've
always eaten after being cooked crisp.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 10:43:04 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
>> shells from tortillas.
>>

> I know before even touching my keyboard you will shoot my
> suggestions down and everybody else who is crazy enough to
> reply to you. But you could have saved yourself some money
> and just draped the tortillas over and inverted metal bowl.
>
> I know, I know, it wouldn't work in your kitchen. Carry on.

I don't get these taco shells for holding salad. I just use a regular glass
bowl - I have always found the taco shell bowls impossible to wash.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote:
> >Yeah. But I'm not going to start frying things.

> Then you are not gonna make what you are desiring.

And I tend to agree with you there, John. If you try to recreate a
fried food, the "oven fried" version is never as good.

French fries are the perfect example.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I believe those taco molds are intended to be used with corn tortillas,
>> not flour tortillas. Flour tortillas aren't supposed to be crisp nor
>> are they used in what I've seen called a "taco salad".

> I think you are correct there, Jill. Corn tortillas are the ones I've
> always eaten after being cooked crisp.
>
> G.

all the taco salad bowls I have ever seen have been flour, not corn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

taxed and spent wrote:

> I don't get these taco shells for holding salad. I just use a regular glass
> bowl - I have always found the taco shell bowls impossible to wash.

LOL! Ok, good one...that made me laugh but if you think that's bad,
try washing a bread bowl holding soup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

taxed and spent wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> I believe those taco molds are intended to be used with corn tortillas,
> >> not flour tortillas. Flour tortillas aren't supposed to be crisp nor
> >> are they used in what I've seen called a "taco salad".

> > I think you are correct there, Jill. Corn tortillas are the ones I've
> > always eaten after being cooked crisp.
> >
> > G.

> all the taco salad bowls I have ever seen have been flour, not corn.

I won't argue with you. I don't eat that stuff. It's just that my
experience with crisp shells have always been corn tortillas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/11/2015 11:03 AM, Gary wrote:
> taxed and spent wrote:

>>> I think you are correct there, Jill. Corn tortillas are the ones I've
>>> always eaten after being cooked crisp.
>>>
>>> G.

>> all the taco salad bowls I have ever seen have been flour, not corn.

> I won't argue with you. I don't eat that stuff. It's just that my
> experience with crisp shells have always been corn tortillas.

I'm just thinking about the silly fluted bowls I've seen on
infomercials. Act now and we'll send you two of them! From what I
vaguely remember they used corn tortillas. I don't eat taco salad.
Just another thing for her to complain about.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 10:09 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> What did you find out when you searched the web

I found YOU, stalking innocent women of course:

>> Omelet wrote:

>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/11/2015 10:04 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I think you're mistaken.

I think YOU are a woman-stalker:

>> Omelet wrote:

>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/11/2015 10:07 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> But it's taking you at least 15 minutes half hour to post and read
> the responses here.

**** off you fat-cheeked stalker dwarf!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> "Cheri" wrote
>>>
>>> I suppose that would work if I wanted a bowl shape. I have never
>>> actually
>>> seen a taco salad served in a bowl shaped shell. Always the crown
>>> shape.

>> Isn't a crown shape just a fancier bowl? For family home eating, does
>> it really matter as long as it's cooked right and holds whatever
>> filling?

> Not in my opinion. I like to tuck things like olives into the points of
> the crown shape. When I make things like taco salads, they do look fancy.
> If you had just a bowl shape, I think it would lead to a big, sloppy mess.
> Besides... I already bought the molds. They were super cheap. And I
> intended to use them.

I have the molds too, but have never tried them. I usually make my taco
salads with no shell though, so not much reason to use them. I think I got
them with the last of the rewards on a credit card a few years ago. There is
no sloppy mess with the bowl shape since the bottom of most bowls are flat,
but since you have the molds, might as well use them.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 9:42 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
> shells from tortillas. But... They came with no instructions. I just
> winged it. Softened the flour tortillas slightly in the microwave.
> Attempted to fit them into the molds. Maybe needed to soften them a
> tiny bit more as they didn't entirely conform but the end result as far
> as shape was fine. They worked. But... They didn't crisp up!
>
> I had the oven on to 350 as I was baking a carrot cake. I took them out
> when the edges began to brown as I didn't want them to burn. but the
> bottoms were still a bit soft. Letting them sit for a few minutes
> seemed to help. My husband ate his right away. No complaints. But I
> am dawdling over mine and now it has sort of melted down to a soggy mess.
>
> So where did I go wrong? Should I have oiled the tortilla? Baked it at
> a different temp.? Thanks.

Oiled, yes.

Cooking spray lightly.

Also heat the mold before cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 11:00 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 10:43:04 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I finally got around to buying some of those molds for baking taco salad
>>> shells from tortillas.
>>>

>> I know before even touching my keyboard you will shoot my
>> suggestions down and everybody else who is crazy enough to
>> reply to you. But you could have saved yourself some money
>> and just draped the tortillas over and inverted metal bowl.

> Gee... Then I would have something bowl shaped. Unlike the fluted
> shape of the shells that I wanted.
>>
>> I know, I know, it wouldn't work in your kitchen. Carry on.

> I'm not going to distort my bowls.

Ah for the lack of a simple vowel...

;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/11/2015 4:48 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Over an upside down microwave safe bowl in the microwave works fine too,
>>> just have to watch them carefully.

>> I suppose that would work if I wanted a bowl shape. I have never actually
>> seen a taco salad served in a bowl shaped shell. Always the crown shape.

> Why does the exact shape matter? It's a thingy to hold a salad.
> An actual bowl would work as well.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

But that's not traditional.