Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Taco salad shells

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 13:16:10 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

>>> Sorry. I'm not scrolling through all of that. I just don't understand
>>> why
>>> people here have to always veer all over the place and tell me to do
>>> things
>>> other than what I want to do. I thought this was a simple thing. I said
>>> that I bought the molds and they came with no instructions. I foolishly
>>> assumed that someone else here might have them and could tell me how to
>>> use
>>> them. Someone did, but then others are telling me to do other things.
>>> things. That really ****es me off!

>> I've trimmed this up a bit, which I should have done before.
>> I was responding to kokopelli, who seems to care what's traditional.
>> Taco salads have been around for about a minute (relatively speaking)
>> on the food scene, so I don't believe tradition needs to be invoked.
>> Serve 'em how you like 'em.

>So, is a Taco Salad any salad in a taco shell?
>
>If not, what is is?

A taco salad is a salad that uses the ingredients of the taco. Iceberg
lettuce, tomatoes, onions, shredded cheese, probably cooked minced
meat and/or refried beans. Topped with salsa and sour cream. Served
with corn chips or tortilla pieces or in one of the taco shells.
There are as many ways of putting it together as there are cooks.
http://tinyurl.com/nudqjr7
As you can see from the pictures, everyone has their own idea of
presentation.
I make individual meal-sized salads on dinner plates or large shallow
bowls. A serving of hot refried beans goes in the middle of the plate
surrounded by a serving of corn chips. (we like Tostitos) The beans
and almost all of the chips are covered with finely shredded iceberg
lettuce, sprinkled with chopped green onions. Shredded cheddar or
Jack cheese is next, then a hefty sprinkling of diced tomatoes and
chopped black olives. A dollop of sour cream is next followed by a
drizzle of salsa.
You take a chip or fork, push toward the refried beans, lift up and
you have all the ingredients of a taco on your fork. It's messy
eating but, oh, so good
I'm going to have to do this for dinner tonight.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default [Quote of the Month] Taco salad shells

Sqwertz wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > I've asked here for "tried and true" recipes here a few times in the
> > past. By then, I've already googled several. I'm just asking for more
> > personal...did you make this and how did it taste.

> There are some situations where you should google first, and some
> situations where it's more appropriate to post. But that doesn't work
> for the illogical, ignorant assholes who can't tell the difference
> between the situations and just want to bitch and moan and get uptight
> and indignant about anything and everything, no matter how senseless.
>
> All the previous posters may now take a bow (you may curtsey, Gary).

Whenever I google a recipe, I'll do 2-3 or more and look at ingredient
content. I'll mix and match but if still unsure I will ask here.

Tell me Steve, what program (User-Agent) do you use to access RFC?
I'm very curious. Email me privately if you want to. I can keep
secrets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> That is something that really annoys me. There is another poster here,
>> who
>> you ask a question gets all hoity toity with a google reponse. What
>> these
>> idiot don't seem to understand is, if we all just googled, there would be
>> no
>> point in the group!

> I've asked here for "tried and true" recipes here a few times in the
> past. By then, I've already googled several. I'm just asking for more
> personal...did you make this and how did it taste.

Of course, but to be rudely told to 'Go google it' ... or the sneering 'I
googled and found this .. you could have done it too' The question isn't to
find out how clever the googlers are, but to ask for personal opinions.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"taxed and spent" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> Yeah. According to Steve, this newsgroup shouldn't even be here. We
>>> could all search the web for everything. Right?

>> That is something that really annoys me. There is another poster here,
>> who you ask a question gets all hoity toity with a google reponse. What
>> these idiot don't seem to understand is, if we all just googled, there
>> would be no point in the group!
>>

> I think you google first, then say I found this and that, it seems this is
> better than that, does anyone have any experience. Something like that.
> Not "how many degrees C in a degree F?"

Unless it is something factual like the latter, I prefer to ask about
personal preferences and experiences from people whose opinions I respect.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 13:16:10 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:

>>> I've trimmed this up a bit, which I should have done before.
>>> I was responding to kokopelli, who seems to care what's traditional.
>>> Taco salads have been around for about a minute (relatively speaking)
>>> on the food scene, so I don't believe tradition needs to be invoked.
>>> Serve 'em how you like 'em.

>>So, is a Taco Salad any salad in a taco shell?
>>
>>If not, what is is?

> A taco salad is a salad that uses the ingredients of the taco. Iceberg
> lettuce, tomatoes, onions, shredded cheese, probably cooked minced
> meat and/or refried beans. Topped with salsa and sour cream. Served
> with corn chips or tortilla pieces or in one of the taco shells.
> There are as many ways of putting it together as there are cooks.
> http://tinyurl.com/nudqjr7
> As you can see from the pictures, everyone has their own idea of
> presentation.

They are all very pretty

> I make individual meal-sized salads on dinner plates or large shallow
> bowls. A serving of hot refried beans goes in the middle of the plate
> surrounded by a serving of corn chips. (we like Tostitos) The beans
> and almost all of the chips are covered with finely shredded iceberg
> lettuce, sprinkled with chopped green onions. Shredded cheddar or
> Jack cheese is next, then a hefty sprinkling of diced tomatoes and
> chopped black olives. A dollop of sour cream is next followed by a
> drizzle of salsa.
> You take a chip or fork, push toward the refried beans, lift up and
> you have all the ingredients of a taco on your fork. It's messy
> eating but, oh, so good
> I'm going to have to do this for dinner tonight.

So, it is nothing to do with the tortilla? Oh my, I get so confuddled) I
though 'taco' was another name for a tortilla used in a different way.

Thank you)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> That is something that really annoys me. There is another poster here,
>>> who
>>> you ask a question gets all hoity toity with a google reponse. What
>>> these
>>> idiot don't seem to understand is, if we all just googled, there would
>>> be
>>> no
>>> point in the group!

>> I've asked here for "tried and true" recipes here a few times in the
>> past. By then, I've already googled several. I'm just asking for more
>> personal...did you make this and how did it taste.

> Of course, but to be rudely told to 'Go google it' ... or the sneering 'I
> googled and found this .. you could have done it too' The question isn't
> find out how clever the googlers are, but to ask for personal opinions.

are not the results you find in a web search personal opinions?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 09:56:29 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> That is something that really annoys me. There is another poster here,
>>> who
>>> you ask a question gets all hoity toity with a google reponse. What
>>> these
>>> idiot don't seem to understand is, if we all just googled, there would
>>> be no
>>> point in the group!

>>I've asked here for "tried and true" recipes here a few times in the
>>past. By then, I've already googled several. I'm just asking for more
>>personal...did you make this and how did it taste.

> Exactly - the Baileys Cheesecake recipe I received from O was a good
> example - I would not have thought to google that but it was a
> success.

and now that she has given it to you, will you look it up in your files or
ask her again?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Another lame poster who starts threads to do with Julie and then bitches
>>> about all the responses she gets. Loser.

>> Yeah. According to Steve, this newsgroup shouldn't even be here. We
>> could all search the web for everything. Right?

> That is something that really annoys me. There is another poster here,
> who you ask a question gets all hoity toity with a google reponse. What
> these idiot don't seem to understand is, if we all just googled, there
> would be no point in the group!

True, and I like to hear from people that have actually made or are making
the recipe.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> Yeah. According to Steve, this newsgroup shouldn't even be here. We
>>> could all search the web for everything. Right?

>> That is something that really annoys me. There is another poster here,
>> who you ask a question gets all hoity toity with a google reponse. What
>> these idiot don't seem to understand is, if we all just googled, there
>> would be no point in the group!

> True, and I like to hear from people that have actually made or are making
> the recipe.

Me too. Google searches are a good source for that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 17:28:44 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Janet B" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 13:16:10 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>>So, is a Taco Salad any salad in a taco shell?
>>>
>>>If not, what is is?

>> A taco salad is a salad that uses the ingredients of the taco. Iceberg
>> lettuce, tomatoes, onions, shredded cheese, probably cooked minced
>> meat and/or refried beans. Topped with salsa and sour cream. Served
>> with corn chips or tortilla pieces or in one of the taco shells.
>> There are as many ways of putting it together as there are cooks.
>> http://tinyurl.com/nudqjr7
>> As you can see from the pictures, everyone has their own idea of
>> presentation.

>They are all very pretty
>

>> I make individual meal-sized salads on dinner plates or large shallow
>> bowls. A serving of hot refried beans goes in the middle of the plate
>> surrounded by a serving of corn chips. (we like Tostitos) The beans
>> and almost all of the chips are covered with finely shredded iceberg
>> lettuce, sprinkled with chopped green onions. Shredded cheddar or
>> Jack cheese is next, then a hefty sprinkling of diced tomatoes and
>> chopped black olives. A dollop of sour cream is next followed by a
>> drizzle of salsa.
>> You take a chip or fork, push toward the refried beans, lift up and
>> you have all the ingredients of a taco on your fork. It's messy
>> eating but, oh, so good
>> I'm going to have to do this for dinner tonight.

>So, it is nothing to do with the tortilla? Oh my, I get so confuddled) I
>though 'taco' was another name for a tortilla used in a different way.
>
>Thank you)

Tacos are varying ingredients served in a folded tortilla, generally
eaten in the hand.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"taxed and spent" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> That is something that really annoys me. There is another poster here,
>>> who you ask a question gets all hoity toity with a google reponse. What
>>> these idiot don't seem to understand is, if we all just googled, there
>>> would be no point in the group!

>> True, and I like to hear from people that have actually made or are
>> making the recipe.

> Me too. Google searches are a good source for that.

But I haven't been communicating with them for years and trust their
opinions as much as *most* here. YMMV, and Google away.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"taxed and spent" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> I've asked here for "tried and true" recipes here a few times in the
>>> past. By then, I've already googled several. I'm just asking for more
>>> personal...did you make this and how did it taste.

>> Of course, but to be rudely told to 'Go google it' ... or the sneering
>> 'I
>> googled and found this .. you could have done it too' The question isn't
>> find out how clever the googlers are, but to ask for personal opinions.

> are not the results you find in a web search personal opinions?

Of course, but not of those we know and trust.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "taxed and spent" > wrote in message

>>> Of course, but to be rudely told to 'Go google it' ... or the sneering
>>> 'I
>>> googled and found this .. you could have done it too' The question
>>> isn't
>>> find out how clever the googlers are, but to ask for personal opinions.

>> are not the results you find in a web search personal opinions?

> Of course, but not of those we know and trust.

LOL! I find it easier to separate the wheat from the chaff in my web
searches than here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 17:28:44 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Janet B" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> A taco salad is a salad that uses the ingredients of the taco. Iceberg
>>> lettuce, tomatoes, onions, shredded cheese, probably cooked minced
>>> meat and/or refried beans. Topped with salsa and sour cream. Served
>>> with corn chips or tortilla pieces or in one of the taco shells.
>>> There are as many ways of putting it together as there are cooks.
>>> http://tinyurl.com/nudqjr7
>>> As you can see from the pictures, everyone has their own idea of
>>> presentation.

>>They are all very pretty
>>

>>> I make individual meal-sized salads on dinner plates or large shallow
>>> bowls. A serving of hot refried beans goes in the middle of the plate
>>> surrounded by a serving of corn chips. (we like Tostitos) The beans
>>> and almost all of the chips are covered with finely shredded iceberg
>>> lettuce, sprinkled with chopped green onions. Shredded cheddar or
>>> Jack cheese is next, then a hefty sprinkling of diced tomatoes and
>>> chopped black olives. A dollop of sour cream is next followed by a
>>> drizzle of salsa.
>>> You take a chip or fork, push toward the refried beans, lift up and
>>> you have all the ingredients of a taco on your fork. It's messy
>>> eating but, oh, so good
>>> I'm going to have to do this for dinner tonight.

>>So, it is nothing to do with the tortilla? Oh my, I get so confuddled)
>>though 'taco' was another name for a tortilla used in a different way.
>>
>>Thank you)

> Tacos are varying ingredients served in a folded tortilla, generally
> eaten in the hand.

You are going to confuse the heck outta me again ... aren't you???

O retires from the subject, gracefully ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"taxed and spent" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> are not the results you find in a web search personal opinions?

>> Of course, but not of those we know and trust.

> LOL! I find it easier to separate the wheat from the chaff in my web
> searches than here.

Each to his/her own eh?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 09:32:43 -0700, "taxed and spent"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..

>>> Exactly - the Baileys Cheesecake recipe I received from O was a good
>>> example - I would not have thought to google that but it was a
>>> success.

>>and now that she has given it to you, will you look it up in your files or
>>ask her again?
>>

> Baileys Cheesecake
>

> Base: One packet of dark chocolate digestives (I used just short of a
> packet for a 9 inch tin)

ok, watching an episode of Doc Martin and now he what is a "digestive"?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "taxed and spent" > wrote in message

>>> Of course, but not of those we know and trust.

>> LOL! I find it easier to separate the wheat from the chaff in my web
>> searches than here.

> Each to his/her own eh?

I don't tell people what do to. I am too busy telling people not to tell ME
what to do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 1:28:56 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
> >
> > Carry on, ****tard.

> It would seem that I am not the ****tard here.

Yes, you are and you will ALWAYS be one and an attention
whore as well.

> You have no reading
> comprehension. I said repeatedly that I wanted the crown shape which is why
> I bought the molds.

You said NOTHING about wanting 'crowns' u n t i l it
was suggested to you to use a metal bowl.

> I am not stupid and I do know that I could bake
> something around a bowl, in a custard cup, around upside down muffin tins,
> in foil or whatever.

Who said anything about a custard cup, or a muffin tin, or
foil?? You did, not a single person here mentioned those
items, but the biggest dumbass on RFC.

> I didn't want to do that. I wanted to use the molds.
> If I were to use my bowls, I would then somehow have to distort the shape
> to get the crown shape. Which makes no sense at all since I already have
> the molds.

Eye roll at yet another lame answer.

> Who's the ****tard now?
>
> You still are, you'll always get first prize for that. As

usual when anyone has a suggestion for you it won't work/my
lazy ass family doesn't like/won't eat that/that's how we do
it on the west coast/I've never seen that on the west coast (as
if you were speaking for everyone./I can't eat that, and the
list grows daily.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 1:29:18 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
> > On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 5:44:20 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> >>

> >> Isn't a crown shape just a fancier bowl? For family home eating, does
> >> it really matter as long as it's cooked right and holds whatever
> >> filling?
> >>

> > Of course it is, but remember, you're not dealing with someone
> > that's as sharp as a tack.

> Please stop talking to yourself.

I wasn't talking you, dopey, I was talking to Gary unless
you are now cross-dressing and calling yourself Gary.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> ok, watching an episode of Doc Martin and now he what is a "digestive"?

It's a UK biscuit, the sort you'd eat with a cup of tea or coffee.

Google McVities Digestive for a look.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 12-Sep-2015, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> "Janet B" > wrote in message

>> > A taco salad is a salad that uses the ingredients of the taco. Iceberg
>> > lettuce, tomatoes, onions, shredded cheese, probably cooked minced
>> > meat and/or refried beans. Topped with salsa and sour cream. Served
>> > with corn chips or tortilla pieces or in one of the taco shells.
>> > There are as many ways of putting it together as there are cooks.
>> > http://tinyurl.com/nudqjr7
>> > As you can see from the pictures, everyone has their own idea of
>> > presentation.

>> They are all very pretty
>>

>> > I make individual meal-sized salads on dinner plates or large shallow
>> > bowls. A serving of hot refried beans goes in the middle of the plate
>> > surrounded by a serving of corn chips. (we like Tostitos) The beans
>> > and almost all of the chips are covered with finely shredded iceberg
>> > lettuce, sprinkled with chopped green onions. Shredded cheddar or
>> > Jack cheese is next, then a hefty sprinkling of diced tomatoes and
>> > chopped black olives. A dollop of sour cream is next followed by a
>> > drizzle of salsa.
>> > You take a chip or fork, push toward the refried beans, lift up and
>> > you have all the ingredients of a taco on your fork. It's messy
>> > eating but, oh, so good
>> > I'm going to have to do this for dinner tonight.

>> So, it is nothing to do with the tortilla? Oh my, I get so confuddled)
>> though 'taco' was another name for a tortilla used in a different way.
>>
>> Thank you)

> A fairly typical recipe, with photo, can be seen at:
> http://www.daisybrand.us/recipes/taco-salad-177
>
> As can be seen in the photo, the tortilla is shaped, then fried or baked
> in
> a bowl shape in which the salad is served.

Thanks But it is actually the tortilla that is the 'taco' part?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > taxed and spent wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > all the taco salad bowls I have ever seen have been flour, not
> > > corn.

> > Me, I've not seem a crisp type that was not corn.

> I guess you don't get out much. We even have restaurants here that
> make nachos with the flour ones. And some places use a wedge of
> fried flour tortilla as a garnish. Then there is the dessert made of
> fried or baked flour ones with cinnamon and sugar. That's what I do
> when I get tortillas for cheap or have some that are going bad to use
> up. And I guess you've never heard of a Chimichanga or Flautas?

Ok. I just live in the wrong spots to see that crisp flour type I
guess. Of course I have heard of chimichangas and Falutas. Easy to
make. I lived in San Diego for 6 years and San Antonio for 3.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > Gary wrote:
> > > I've asked here for "tried and true" recipes here a few times in
> > > the past. By then, I've already googled several. I'm just asking
> > > for more personal...did you make this and how did it taste.

> > There are some situations where you should google first, and some
> > situations where it's more appropriate to post. But that doesn't
> > work for the illogical, ignorant assholes who can't tell the
> > difference between the situations and just want to bitch and moan
> > and get uptight and indignant about anything and everything, no
> > matter how senseless.
> >
> > All the previous posters may now take a bow (you may curtsey, Gary).

> Whenever I google a recipe, I'll do 2-3 or more and look at ingredient
> content. I'll mix and match but if still unsure I will ask here.
>
> Tell me Steve, what program (User-Agent) do you use to access RFC?
> I'm very curious. Email me privately if you want to. I can keep
> secrets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Another lame poster who starts threads to do with Julie and then bitches
>>> about all the responses she gets. Loser.

>> Yeah. According to Steve, this newsgroup shouldn't even be here. We
>> could all search the web for everything. Right?

> That is something that really annoys me. There is another poster here,
> who you ask a question gets all hoity toity with a google reponse. What
> these idiot don't seem to understand is, if we all just googled, there
> would be no point in the group!

Yes! And while looking something up, might give you an answer, it might
also give you a wrong answer. I prefer asking people who are known to me if
they have tried something.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"taxed and spent" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> I've asked here for "tried and true" recipes here a few times in the
>>> past. By then, I've already googled several. I'm just asking for more
>>> personal...did you make this and how did it taste.

>> Of course, but to be rudely told to 'Go google it' ... or the sneering
>> 'I
>> googled and found this .. you could have done it too' The question isn't
>> find out how clever the googlers are, but to ask for personal opinions.

> are not the results you find in a web search personal opinions?

Some are, but we here don't usually know those people. Not that I know
anyone here personally but I have been conversing with most for years now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"taxed and spent" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 09:32:43 -0700, "taxed and spent"
>> > wrote:

>>>and now that she has given it to you, will you look it up in your files
>>>or
>>>ask her again?
>>>

>> Baileys Cheesecake
>>

>> Base: One packet of dark chocolate digestives (I used just short of a
>> packet for a 9 inch tin)

> ok, watching an episode of Doc Martin and now he what is a "digestive"?

A cookie.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 18:08:21 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Janet B" > wrote in message

snip

>>>So, it is nothing to do with the tortilla? Oh my, I get so confuddled)
>>>though 'taco' was another name for a tortilla used in a different way.
>>>
>>>Thank you)

>> Tacos are varying ingredients served in a folded tortilla, generally
>> eaten in the hand.

>You are going to confuse the heck outta me again ... aren't you???
>
>O retires from the subject, gracefully ...

picture of taco
http://tinyurl.com/poq8zhr
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 10:27:19 -0700, "taxed and spent"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 09:32:43 -0700, "taxed and spent"
>>>

> wrote in message
m...

>>> Baileys Cheesecake
>>>

>>> Base: One packet of dark chocolate digestives (I used just short of a
>>> packet for a 9 inch tin)

>>ok, watching an episode of Doc Martin and now he what is a "digestive"?
>>

> My supermarket carries Peak Freans Digestive, though not chocolate
> ones, so I subbed with plain digestive, went nicely. If not, graham
> cracker crumbs would do, though not quite so tasty. I also added more
> Baileys

More than a whisky glass full????? Tell me, were any of the partakers,
still standing ... <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 7:21:43 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

>> > Restaurants do a lot of things that I won't do at home. "Caesar
>> > salad" dressing made with mayonnaise, for example.
>> >

>> I have never seen that.

> Any time a Caesar salad comes out with creamy dressing, it's
> got mayonnaise in it, or has been manufactured and emulsified
> so as to be virtually identical to mayonnaise.
>
> It's a way of getting around serving raw eggs to people.

I never order them. And I never eat salad dressing. So dunno.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 18:08:21 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Janet B" > wrote in message

> snip

>>> Tacos are varying ingredients served in a folded tortilla, generally
>>> eaten in the hand.

>>You are going to confuse the heck outta me again ... aren't you???
>>
>>O retires from the subject, gracefully ...

> picture of taco
> http://tinyurl.com/poq8zhr

Now that is what *I* understand a taco to be)) As I said, the 'taco
salad' thing was confusing .... well to me anyway)

thanks)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

>>> Sorry. I'm not scrolling through all of that. I just don't understand
>>> why
>>> people here have to always veer all over the place and tell me to do
>>> things
>>> other than what I want to do. I thought this was a simple thing. I
>>> said
>>> that I bought the molds and they came with no instructions. I foolishly
>>> assumed that someone else here might have them and could tell me how to
>>> use
>>> them. Someone did, but then others are telling me to do other things.
>>> It's
>>> as though you all think I am stupid and not capable of thinking to do
>>> other
>>> things. That really ****es me off!

>> I've trimmed this up a bit, which I should have done before.
>> I was responding to kokopelli, who seems to care what's traditional.
>> Taco salads have been around for about a minute (relatively speaking)
>> on the food scene, so I don't believe tradition needs to be invoked.
>> Serve 'em how you like 'em.

> So, is a Taco Salad any salad in a taco shell?
>
> If not, what is is?

Nope. It is the ingredients that you would put in a taco, served in a
shell. But there is usually quantity of stuff, especially lettuce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Janet B" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 13:16:10 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>>So, is a Taco Salad any salad in a taco shell?
>>>
>>>If not, what is is?

>> A taco salad is a salad that uses the ingredients of the taco. Iceberg
>> lettuce, tomatoes, onions, shredded cheese, probably cooked minced
>> meat and/or refried beans. Topped with salsa and sour cream. Served
>> with corn chips or tortilla pieces or in one of the taco shells.
>> There are as many ways of putting it together as there are cooks.
>> http://tinyurl.com/nudqjr7
>> As you can see from the pictures, everyone has their own idea of
>> presentation.

> They are all very pretty
>

>> I make individual meal-sized salads on dinner plates or large shallow
>> bowls. A serving of hot refried beans goes in the middle of the plate
>> surrounded by a serving of corn chips. (we like Tostitos) The beans
>> and almost all of the chips are covered with finely shredded iceberg
>> lettuce, sprinkled with chopped green onions. Shredded cheddar or
>> Jack cheese is next, then a hefty sprinkling of diced tomatoes and
>> chopped black olives. A dollop of sour cream is next followed by a
>> drizzle of salsa.
>> You take a chip or fork, push toward the refried beans, lift up and
>> you have all the ingredients of a taco on your fork. It's messy
>> eating but, oh, so good
>> I'm going to have to do this for dinner tonight.

> So, it is nothing to do with the tortilla? Oh my, I get so confuddled)
> I though 'taco' was another name for a tortilla used in a different way.
>
> Thank you)

Tortillas are used for tacos as well. Taco is not another name for
tortilla. The tortilla is the bread for the taco.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Janet B" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 13:16:10 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:

> > > So, is a Taco Salad any salad in a taco shell?
> > >
> > > If not, what is is?

> > A taco salad is a salad that uses the ingredients of the taco.
> > Iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, onions, shredded cheese, probably cooked
> > minced meat and/or refried beans. Topped with salsa and sour
> > cream. Served with corn chips or tortilla pieces or in one of the
> > taco shells. There are as many ways of putting it together as
> > there are cooks. http://tinyurl.com/nudqjr7
> > As you can see from the pictures, everyone has their own idea of
> > presentation.

> They are all very pretty
>

> > I make individual meal-sized salads on dinner plates or large
> > shallow bowls. A serving of hot refried beans goes in the middle
> > of the plate surrounded by a serving of corn chips. (we like
> > Tostitos) The beans and almost all of the chips are covered with
> > finely shredded iceberg lettuce, sprinkled with chopped green
> > onions. Shredded cheddar or Jack cheese is next, then a hefty
> > sprinkling of diced tomatoes and chopped black olives. A dollop of
> > sour cream is next followed by a drizzle of salsa.
> > You take a chip or fork, push toward the refried beans, lift up and
> > you have all the ingredients of a taco on your fork. It's messy
> > eating but, oh, so good
> > I'm going to have to do this for dinner tonight.

> So, it is nothing to do with the tortilla? Oh my, I get so
> confuddled) I though 'taco' was another name for a tortilla used
> in a different way.
>
> Thank you)

Grin, it's ok.

1) Taco. A flour shell (normally corn and fried to crisp but may be
soft and white flour based). This is filled with a small portion of
meat, sauces, cheese, lettuce and cheese for the basic version. Eaten
with your hands. The meat may be ground or shaved. Normally beef,
they also can come with seafood or chicken fillings.

2) Taco chips. Just the shell. Can come in white flour or a corn
flour. Often called 'corn chips'. They have no filling but are used
to scoup up foods. Usually corn based.

3) Taco bowl. A corn or white flour bowl that has been baked or fried
into a bowl shape. Filled with the same stuff as in number 1 above.

4) Taco salad. This is a bowl with lots of meat, lettuce, cheese,
onions, and sauce. Taco/corn chips are used with it. Common is to add
refried beans.

That help?
Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 08:28:57 -0500, John Kuthe >
wrote:

>Raw egg and anchovies!
>
>Makes a Caesar Salad a Caesar Salad!!
>
>John Kuthe...

how are those ingredients added John? Crack an egg over anchovies and
stir them up?

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

>>> I've trimmed this up a bit, which I should have done before.
>>> I was responding to kokopelli, who seems to care what's traditional.
>>> Taco salads have been around for about a minute (relatively speaking)
>>> on the food scene, so I don't believe tradition needs to be invoked.
>>> Serve 'em how you like 'em.

>> So, is a Taco Salad any salad in a taco shell?
>>
>> If not, what is is?

> Nope. It is the ingredients that you would put in a taco, served in a
> shell. But there is usually quantity of stuff, especially lettuce.

So, the ingredients for the taco salad are prescribed?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 4:02:22 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:

> But what is the recipe for making a taco? How is it different to a
> tortilla?

Tortilla is to taco as bread is to sandwich. A sandwich can be
made with a variety of things inside; tacos can be made with
a variety of things inside.

Although tacos are generically a corn tortilla folded around some
filling, the taco that was popularized by Taco Bell is what
most Americans who live outside the Southwest think of as a
taco. A corn tortilla, fried crisp and folded over a form so
that when it cools it holds its shape. Spiced ground beef filling,
garnished with "cheddar" cheese, shredded iceberg lettuce,
thinly sliced or chopped onion, and diced tomato.

Here's a typical method and recipe.

<http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/ground-beef-tacos/7217b5cb-5bdc-4458-a6e4-844a39188b9c>

Note that in this recipe, "chili powder" refers to a mixture of
ground capsicum chiles with other spices. I find that the spiced
ground beef mixture is not very "hot", although you probably would
find it rather sparky. Frankly, a decent taco can be made using no
chiles at all.

When it says "taco shells", it refers to bought shells that are
manufactured from fried corn tortillas in a giant factory.

Contrariwise, people with closer ties to Mexico, who live in areas
with lots of Mexicans, or who like good food will often prefer
a more "authentic" taco made from soft corn tortillas with fillings
such as braised beef, pork or chicken, grilled meat, mashed beans,
fish (fried or grilled), other seafood, ad infinitum. Here's one
of my favorites.

<http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012463-tacos-de-carnitas>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 20:36:17 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Janet B" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 18:08:21 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"Janet B" > wrote in message

>> snip

>>>You are going to confuse the heck outta me again ... aren't you???
>>>
>>>O retires from the subject, gracefully ...

>> picture of taco
>> http://tinyurl.com/poq8zhr

>Now that is what *I* understand a taco to be)) As I said, the 'taco
>salad' thing was confusing .... well to me anyway)
>
>thanks)

the salad is a deconstructed taco
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 4:02:22 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
>

>> But what is the recipe for making a taco? How is it different to a
>> tortilla?

> Tortilla is to taco as bread is to sandwich. A sandwich can be
> made with a variety of things inside; tacos can be made with
> a variety of things inside.

Understood.

> Although tacos are generically a corn tortilla folded around some
> filling, the taco that was popularized by Taco Bell is what
> most Americans who live outside the Southwest think of as a
> taco. A corn tortilla, fried crisp and folded over a form so
> that when it cools it holds its shape. Spiced ground beef filling,
> garnished with "cheddar" cheese, shredded iceberg lettuce,
> thinly sliced or chopped onion, and diced tomato.
>
> Here's a typical method and recipe.
>
> <http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/ground-beef-tacos/7217b5cb-5bdc-4458-a6e4-844a39188b9c>
>
> Note that in this recipe, "chili powder" refers to a mixture of
> ground capsicum chiles with other spices. I find that the spiced
> ground beef mixture is not very "hot", although you probably would
> find it rather sparky. Frankly, a decent taco can be made using no
> chiles at all.
>
> When it says "taco shells", it refers to bought shells that are
> manufactured from fried corn tortillas in a giant factory.
>
> Contrariwise, people with closer ties to Mexico, who live in areas
> with lots of Mexicans, or who like good food will often prefer
> a more "authentic" taco made from soft corn tortillas with fillings
> such as braised beef, pork or chicken, grilled meat, mashed beans,
> fish (fried or grilled), other seafood, ad infinitum. Here's one
> of my favorites.
>
> <http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012463-tacos-de-carnitas>

That was most interesting. I make flour tortillas (or are they chapatis?)
and my husband just rolls them up with whatever takes his fancy. It is
fascinating (to me) how all these different and complex dishes have spun out
from such a simple thing I love learning all this stuff but eating them
would be a different matter. Spicy foods are simply not something we would
eat.

Thank you very much

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 20:36:17 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Janet B" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> snip

>>> picture of taco
>>> http://tinyurl.com/poq8zhr

>>Now that is what *I* understand a taco to be)) As I said, the 'taco
>>salad' thing was confusing .... well to me anyway)
>>
>>thanks)

> the salad is a deconstructed taco

Ahh yes. Understood) So, does a taco salad have set ingredients (which
define it as a taco salad)?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/