Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mar-sca-pone! Aargh!

I just heard the name of this cheese once again pronounced like this on a
cooking show. I have it incorrectly pronounced like this so many times that
I used to think that was the correct pronunciation. What is wrong with
these people?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 2:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I just heard the name of this cheese once again pronounced like this on
> a cooking show. I have it incorrectly pronounced like this so many
> times that I used to think that was the correct pronunciation. What is
> wrong with these people?

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It bugs me, too. The same with "turmeric," pronounced "tumeric."

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 12:56:18 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> I just heard the name of this cheese once again pronounced like this on a
> cooking show. I have it incorrectly pronounced like this so many times that
> I used to think that was the correct pronunciation. What is wrong with
> these people?

Especially when it's likely they're reading it from a teleprompter.
Sound it out, like your second-grade teacher told you.

The one that gets me is nucular. Nu-cle-ar, just like it's spelled.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 05:20:23 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>>It bugs me, too. The same with "turmeric," pronounced "tumeric."
>>
>>N.

> Looks correct to me mar-sca-ponay ??? At least that was how an
> Italian boyfriend pronounced it.

He was an imposter. It is mascarpone.

I bet he mispronounced provolone, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 05:20:23 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>>It bugs me, too. The same with "turmeric," pronounced "tumeric."
>>
>>N.

> Looks correct to me mar-sca-ponay ??? At least that was how an
> Italian boyfriend pronounced it.

Yep!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"taxed and spent" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 05:20:23 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>It bugs me, too. The same with "turmeric," pronounced "tumeric."
>>>
>>>N.

>> Looks correct to me mar-sca-ponay ??? At least that was how an
>> Italian boyfriend pronounced it.

> He was an imposter. It is mascarpone.
>
> I bet he mispronounced provolone, too.

lolol

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/09/2015 6:20 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> It bugs me, too. The same with "turmeric," pronounced "tumeric."
>
> N.

and "risotto" is NOT pronounced "rizoatoh!
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/09/2015 7:10 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 12:56:18 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I just heard the name of this cheese once again pronounced like this on a
>> cooking show. I have it incorrectly pronounced like this so many times that
>> I used to think that was the correct pronunciation. What is wrong with
>> these people?

> Especially when it's likely they're reading it from a teleprompter.
> Sound it out, like your second-grade teacher told you.
>
> The one that gets me is nucular. Nu-cle-ar, just like it's spelled.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

And lab-or-at-ory!
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-10, taxed and spent > wrote:

> He was an imposter. It is mascarpone.

I found this:

"pronounced mahs-car-POH-nay"

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 10/09/2015 6:20 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> It bugs me, too. The same with "turmeric," pronounced "tumeric."
>>
>> N.
>>

> and "risotto" is NOT pronounced "rizoatoh!
> Graham

it really depends on the dialect.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
news
> On 10/09/2015 7:10 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 12:56:18 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I just heard the name of this cheese once again pronounced like this on
>>> cooking show. I have it incorrectly pronounced like this so many times
>>> that
>>> I used to think that was the correct pronunciation. What is wrong with
>>> these people?

>> Especially when it's likely they're reading it from a teleprompter.
>> Sound it out, like your second-grade teacher told you.
>>
>> The one that gets me is nucular. Nu-cle-ar, just like it's spelled.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> And lab-or-at-ory!
> Graham

Left-Tenant! I love that one now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 14:44:57 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"taxed and spent" > wrote in message
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 05:20:23 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2

>>> Looks correct to me mar-sca-ponay ??? At least that was how an
>>> Italian boyfriend pronounced it.

>> He was an imposter. It is mascarpone.
>>
>> I bet he mispronounced provolone, too.

>lolol

There are different Italian dialects, some don't pronounce the 'e'.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/audio...scarpone&text=
http://www.merriam-webster.com/audio...rovolone&text=
Many Italians don't use the word "pasta" except to mean the dough used
to make macaroni.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 9:23:36 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:

> I found this:
>
> "pronounced mahs-car-POH-nay"
>
> nb

That's the way I've heard this very overrated cheese
pronounced, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-10 14:23:29 +0000, notbob said:

> On 2015-09-10, taxed and spent > wrote:
>
>> He was an imposter. It is mascarpone.

> I found this:
>
> "pronounced mahs-car-POH-nay"

To continue this critical culinary discussion:

Naples is pronounced na-po-LEE.
Rome is pronounced RO-mah.
Rio de Janeiro is pronounced oo-HEE-oo zhe-zha-NAY-roo.

Don't study the menu so long you let your food get cold.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 6:20 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> It bugs me, too. The same with "turmeric," pronounced "tumeric."
>
> N.

MIS_pronounced you mean.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 7:10 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 12:56:18 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I just heard the name of this cheese once again pronounced like this on a
>> cooking show. I have it incorrectly pronounced like this so many times that
>> I used to think that was the correct pronunciation. What is wrong with
>> these people?

> Especially when it's likely they're reading it from a teleprompter.
> Sound it out, like your second-grade teacher told you.
>
> The one that gets me is nucular. Nu-cle-ar, just like it's spelled.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

+1!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 9:05 AM, taxed and spent wrote:
> "graham" > wrote in message
> news
>>>
>>> Especially when it's likely they're reading it from a teleprompter.
>>> Sound it out, like your second-grade teacher told you.
>>>
>>> The one that gets me is nucular. Nu-cle-ar, just like it's spelled.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> And lab-or-at-ory!
>> Graham

> Left-Tenant! I love that one now.

Al - U - Min - ium.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/09/2015 11:25 AM, Kokopelli wrote:
> On 9/10/2015 9:05 AM, taxed and spent wrote:
>> "graham" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> And lab-or-at-ory!
>>> Graham

>> Left-Tenant! I love that one now.
>>

> Al - U - Min - ium.

Funnily enough, Sir Humphry Davy who discovered the element called it
"Aluminum" but when the name was published there were objections and the
"ium" ending was adopted to bring it in line with other elements -
sodium, potassium, calcium, strontium etc.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/09/2015 9:05 AM, taxed and spent wrote:
> "graham" > wrote in message
> news
>>>
>>> Especially when it's likely they're reading it from a teleprompter.
>>> Sound it out, like your second-grade teacher told you.
>>>
>>> The one that gets me is nucular. Nu-cle-ar, just like it's spelled.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> And lab-or-at-ory!
>> Graham

> Left-Tenant! I love that one now.

Kansas and Arkansas:-)
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 12:57 PM, graham wrote:
> On 10/09/2015 11:25 AM, Kokopelli wrote:
>> On 9/10/2015 9:05 AM, taxed and spent wrote:

>>> Left-Tenant! I love that one now.
>>>

>> Al - U - Min - ium.

> Funnily enough, Sir Humphry Davy who discovered the element called it
> "Aluminum" but when the name was published there were objections and the
> "ium" ending was adopted to bring it in line with other elements -
> sodium, potassium, calcium, strontium etc.
> Graham

+1

Excellent context on that one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 1:00 PM, graham wrote:
> On 10/09/2015 9:05 AM, taxed and spent wrote:
>> "graham" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> And lab-or-at-ory!
>>> Graham

>> Left-Tenant! I love that one now.
>>

> Kansas and Arkansas:-)
> Graham

Another good one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 12:04:19 PM UTC-5, gtr wrote:
> On 2015-09-10 14:23:29 +0000, notbob said:
>
> > On 2015-09-10, taxed and spent > wrote:
> >
> >> He was an imposter. It is mascarpone.

> > I found this:
> >
> > "pronounced mahs-car-POH-nay"

> To continue this critical culinary discussion:
>
> Naples is pronounced na-po-LEE.
> Rome is pronounced RO-mah.
> Rio de Janeiro is pronounced oo-HEE-oo zhe-zha-NAY-roo.
>
> Don't study the menu so long you let your food get cold.

Don't forget Bella Napoli!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> It bugs me, too. The same with "turmeric," pronounced "tumeric."
>
> N.

I hate the one too but some online sources say that it is one of the correct
ways to say it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2015-09-10, taxed and spent > wrote:
>
>> He was an imposter. It is mascarpone.

> I found this:
>
> "pronounced mahs-car-POH-nay"

Yep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 3:58 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>> It bugs me, too. The same with "turmeric," pronounced "tumeric."
>>
>> N.

> I hate the one too but some online sources say that it is one of the
> correct ways to say it.

No, seriously?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/turmeric

At least the audio clip is accurate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 05:20:23 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>It bugs me, too. The same with "turmeric," pronounced "tumeric."
>>>
>>>N.

>> Looks correct to me mar-sca-ponay ??? At least that was how an
>> Italian boyfriend pronounced it.

> Yep!

Wrong!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 12:56:18 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I just heard the name of this cheese once again pronounced like this on a
>> cooking show. I have it incorrectly pronounced like this so many times
>> that
>> I used to think that was the correct pronunciation. What is wrong with
>> these people?

> Especially when it's likely they're reading it from a teleprompter.
> Sound it out, like your second-grade teacher told you.
>
> The one that gets me is nucular. Nu-cle-ar, just like it's spelled.

That too, although I can't remember the last time I heard that word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 3:59 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 2015-09-10, taxed and spent > wrote:
>>
>>> He was an imposter. It is mascarpone.

>> I found this:
>>
>> "pronounced mahs-car-POH-nay"

> Yep.

And are you cooking any Parsippinays?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 12:56 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I just heard the name of this cheese once again pronounced like this on
> a cooking show. I have it incorrectly pronounced like this so many
> times that I used to think that was the correct pronunciation. What is
> wrong with these people?

Why does it matter? If you want to buy it, I'm sure they don't care how
you pronounce it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 1:04 PM, gtr wrote:
> On 2015-09-10 14:23:29 +0000, notbob said:
>
>> On 2015-09-10, taxed and spent > wrote:
>>
>>> He was an imposter. It is mascarpone.

>> I found this:
>>
>> "pronounced mahs-car-POH-nay"

> To continue this critical culinary discussion:
>
> Naples is pronounced na-po-LEE.
> Rome is pronounced RO-mah.
> Rio de Janeiro is pronounced oo-HEE-oo zhe-zha-NAY-roo.
>
> Don't study the menu so long you let your food get cold.

Fritte de mare... fruit of the sea. No one really cares. It's on a
menu. Order it or don't. The guy on the other side of the menu is
working for minimum wage and tips. Point at the picture and let him do
his job.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 6:00 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 05:20:23 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2

>>> Looks correct to me mar-sca-ponay ??? At least that was how an
>>> Italian boyfriend pronounced it.

>> Yep!

> Wrong!

Why must you pronounce it? Just point at what cheese you want and buy
it. Or not.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 5:58 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>> It bugs me, too. The same with "turmeric," pronounced "tumeric."
>>
>> N.

> I hate the one too but some online sources say that it is one of the
> correct ways to say it.

Why would you need to pronounce it?

Jill