Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

Default BBQ sauce taste test

http://www.thekitchn.com/the-bottled...ed-them-220654

How We Selected the 7 Brands

There are a lot of different kinds of bottled BBQ sauce. There's the
vinegary kind, the Kansas-city style, and BBQ sauce that has lots of
tomato. How are you to decide between the three? I decided not to parse
out the various kinds and just go for the best based on taste. It's just
the way it is.

I chose these seven brands of BBQ sauce because they are widely
available in the United States. I also noted that when Serious Eats did
a similar taste test, they included many of these brands.

1. Trader Joe's Kansas City BBQ Sauce ($2.69/ 18oz)
A couple of my colleagues are from Texas and have feelings about BBQ
sauce. This one did not disappoint! In fact, one of them said it tasted
just like home.

2. Sweet Baby Ray's Original ($2.59/180z)
Overall this BBQ sauce was very well-balanced. A lot of the testers
noted it was peppery, sweet, and tangy all at once.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/t...cue-sauce.html

Best Kansas City-Style (Tie: 5.7): TJ's Bold & Smoky

This is a touch less sweet than the Bulls-Eye brand. Vinegary, tangy,
and some sweetness to be sure, but with enough bitterness to keep it
balanced. We really liked the smooth texture€”it wasn't gloppy or runny.
It could use a little more heat but had a pleasant balance nonetheless.
We liked it much better than Trader Joe's other available barbecue
sauce: Trader Joe's All-Natural Sauce

Or just go traditional and make:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...gar-sauce.html

1 gallon cider vinegar
1 1/3 cup crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons black pepper
1/4 cup salt

But there's more at your local grocer, in fact a very tasty new
contender at Kroger is "Mustard On My Mind".

A commendably short ingredients list and zingy sweet/tangy mustard
flavor makes this one to consider for all things porky.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 9/10/2015 5:45 AM, Shalako wrote:
Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 13:45:27 -0600, Shalako > wrote:

> http://www.thekitchn.com/the-bottled...ed-them-220654

I saw that a couple of weeks ago... (or was it longer?), but I've
found the style I prefer and make a variation I like. If I'm too lazy
or don't have the ingredients, then Trader Joe's Carolina sauce is
very close.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 5:00 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 13:45:27 -0600, Shalako > wrote:
>
>> http://www.thekitchn.com/the-bottled...ed-them-220654

> I saw that a couple of weeks ago... (or was it longer?), but I've
> found the style I prefer and make a variation I like. If I'm too lazy
> or don't have the ingredients, then Trader Joe's Carolina sauce is
> very close.

Indeed, Carolina style is the way to go.

Their "gold" is not far off the taste and ingredients list from that
Kroger one I linked to.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Shalako > wrote:
> http://www.thekitchn.com/the-bottled...ed-them-220654
>
> How We Selected the 7 Brands

That has absolutely nothing to do with how it blends with meat without
obscuring the taste of good meat. If your just going to dip fries, go to
it.

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/11/2015 1:02 AM, gregz wrote:
> Shalako > wrote:
>> http://www.thekitchn.com/the-bottled...ed-them-220654
>>
>> How We Selected the 7 Brands
>>

> That has absolutely nothing to do with how it blends with meat without
> obscuring the taste of good meat. If your just going to dip fries, go to
> it.
>
> Greg

Or simply taste and test.

No harm, no foul either, lol...

BBQ sauce taste test Shalako Barbecue 1 09-09-2015 11:36 PM
Asian hot sauce taste test Travis McGee General Cooking 18 18-03-2014 09:47 PM
Taste test: pasta Kalmia General Cooking 38 05-11-2012 01:02 AM
Coke Taste Test Dan Abel General Cooking 12 20-11-2009 11:00 AM
Taste Test Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 17 14-09-2006 04:14 AM