Old 25-08-2015, 06:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "15 Disgusting Foods Your Grandparents Probably Loved"

My grands were all born in the 1800s, so you can well imagine that they knew how to cook and ate real food. Fortunately, the knowledge was passed onto my mother who was an excellent cook.

Old 25-08-2015, 06:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-25 1:13 PM, Kalmia wrote:
My grands were all born in the 1800s, so you can well imagine that
they knew how to cook and ate real food. Fortunately, the knowledge
was passed onto my mother who was an excellent cook.

As were mine. My maternal grandmother was the youngest of them, born in
1900. They ate real food, but they had a much more limited diet than we
enjoy these days. My mother's father was a much better cook than her
mother. He was the one who prepared the holiday meals and he was the
one who did all the cooking. My other grandmother was a passable cook
but had an extremely limited repertoire. She had a weekly menu, by which
I mean that she cooked 7 different dinners. There was the Monday night
menu, the Tuesday night menu, the Wednesday night menu..... It was the
same thing every week.
Old 25-08-2015, 06:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 1:13:44 PM UTC-4, Kalmia wrote:
My grands were all born in the 1800s, so you can well imagine that they knew how to cook and ate real food. Fortunately, the knowledge was passed onto my mother who was an excellent cook.

My grandmother was born in 1913. She didn't like cooking all that much,
and wasn't very good at it. Our special family dessert was:

Pineapple Chiffon

Crumbed vanilla wafers pressed into a 9 x 13 pan.
Melt marshmallows, add canned crushed pineapple in heavy syrup, cool.
Fold in whipped cream (later, Cool Whip) and spread over
vanilla wafer crust. Chill and serve.

I loved it when I was a kid. Now, not so much.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 25-08-2015, 07:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/26/2015 3:13 AM, Kalmia wrote:
My grands were all born in the 1800s, so you can well i

Ayup...

Old 25-08-2015, 07:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Old 25-08-2015, 10:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-25 1:13 PM, Kalmia wrote:
My grands were all born in the 1800s, so you can well imagine that
they knew how to cook and ate real food. Fortunately, the knowledge
was passed onto my mother who was an excellent cook.

As were mine. My maternal grandmother was the youngest of them, born in
1900. They ate real food, but they had a much more limited diet than we
enjoy these days. My mother's father was a much better cook than her
mother. He was the one who prepared the holiday meals and he was the
one who did all the cooking. My other grandmother was a passable cook
but had an extremely limited repertoire. She had a weekly menu, by which
I mean that she cooked 7 different dinners. There was the Monday night
menu, the Tuesday night menu, the Wednesday night menu..... It was the
same thing every week.

My mother's mother prided herself on staying up to date, so she was
always clipping recipes from magazines and the daily paper. Winners
she kept in her recipe file, with a short notation. But she usually
cooked the good old favorites. Except for making jam in season, she
had quit canning by the time we grandkids came around.

When I was a kid, the weekly food section provided a week's worth of
menus, with recipes for the trickier dishes. I wonder how many moms
put their family's dietary fate in the hands of the food editor every
week.
Old 25-08-2015, 10:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Old 25-08-2015, 10:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/25/2015 1:25 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
My other grandmother was a passable cook but had an extremely limited
repertoire. She had a weekly menu, by which I mean that she cooked 7
different dinners. There was the Monday night menu, the Tuesday night
menu, the Wednesday night menu..... It was the same thing every week.

My maternal grandmother did that, too! I got the impression she started
cooking that way after grandpa retired. They were living on a fixed
income. He received a monthly pension and social security. I gathered
it was just easier for her to shop and cook that way just for the two of
them. But yes, you could tell what day of the week it was by what she
was cooking for dinner.

Jill
Old 25-08-2015, 10:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Old 25-08-2015, 10:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/26/2015 7:33 AM, jmcquown wrote:
On 8/25/2015 5:10 PM, wrote:

Jill

Ayup...
Old 25-08-2015, 10:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-25 5:29 PM, jmcquown wrote:

My maternal grandmother did that, too! I got the impression she started
cooking that way after grandpa retired. They were living on a fixed
income. He received a monthly pension and social security. I gathered
it was just easier for her to shop and cook that way just for the two of
them. But yes, you could tell what day of the week it was by what she
was cooking for dinner.

I think there are a lot of people like that. They are not into cooking
the way some of us are, or they are catering to a crowd that just wants
the same thing all the time. I am not saying that the food my paternal
grandmother cooked was not good. It's just that it was the same thing.
If we went on Sunday it was roast beef with mashed potatoes, Yorkshire
pudding, carrots and a green vegetable. If we went on Saturday it was
macaroni and cheese casserole and roasted ham. My parents lived with my
grandparents for a while early in their marriage and my mother told me
about the weekly menu.

I can't imagine a food regimen like that. My mother was a pretty good
cook and was always trying new things. The closest she came to a weekly
regimen was that we almost always had a had a roast on Sunday, either
beef or pork. There were inevitably leftovers. If it was beef the
leftovers would be served as hot roast beef sandwiches, preferably with
French fries, or Shepherd's pie. But let's not open up that beef/lamb
can of worms.

Old 25-08-2015, 11:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-25 5:10 PM, wrote:

My mother's mother prided hried Chicken.

Ayup...