Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pot pies

I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
capabilities.

My probably futile question:

Is there any way to make a faux pot pie? A casserole with all the
ingredients except the pie crust, but with the addition of comething to
give at least a small hint of pie crust taste?

Probably hopeless but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-13 12:51 PM, KenK wrote:
> I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
> buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
> capabilities.
>
> My probably futile question:
>
> Is there any way to make a faux pot pie? A casserole with all the
> ingredients except the pie crust, but with the addition of comething to
> give at least a small hint of pie crust taste?
>
> Probably hopeless but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Yes. It is called stew.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Make a crustless pot pie

What you did to poor Omelet, literally stalking her right off usenet
will NEVER be forgotten, NEVER!

Herewith, from austin.food, another of the groups YOU have personally
killed off:

>> Omelet wrote:

>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote in
:

> On 13 Aug 2015 16:51:29 GMT, KenK wrote:
>
>> I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
>> buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
>> capabilities.
>>
>> My probably futile question:
>>
>> Is there any way to make a faux pot pie? A casserole with all the
>> ingredients except the pie crust, but with the addition of comething
>> to give at least a small hint of pie crust taste?
>>
>> Probably hopeless but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

> Make a crustless pot pie and cover the top with flattened canned
> biscuit dough, store-bought puff pie pastry, or use a Bisquick
> topping such as:
>
> http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...en-pot-pie/f56
> faec7-3303-4720-9e68-adbd534fb0f6

Thank you. Printed it. Have you tried this? Does it taste like
tradutional pie crust or bisquits?

> Also, look for pre-made pie dough rolled into logs and sold in the
> refrigerator section. The last two I bought were $1.38/pair. They're
> a lot cheaper than buying the pre-formed p[ie shells in the disposable
> pans.

Was not aware of that product. Thanks. Probablr right next to the formed
crusts and I didn't see it.

> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:
> Sqwertz > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 13 Aug 2015 16:51:29 GMT, KenK wrote:
>>
>>> I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
>>> buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
>>> capabilities.
>>>
>>> My probably futile question:
>>>
>>> Is there any way to make a faux pot pie? A casserole with all the
>>> ingredients except the pie crust, but with the addition of comething
>>> to give at least a small hint of pie crust taste?
>>>
>>> Probably hopeless but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

>> Make a crustless pot pie and cover the top with flattened canned
>> biscuit dough, store-bought puff pie pastry, or use a Bisquick
>> topping such as:
>>
>> http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...en-pot-pie/f56
>> faec7-3303-4720-9e68-adbd534fb0f6
>>

> Thank you. Printed it. Have you tried this? Does it taste like
> tradutional pie crust or bisquits?
>
>> Also, look for pre-made pie dough rolled into logs and sold in the
>> refrigerator section. The last two I bought were $1.38/pair. They're
>> a lot cheaper than buying the pre-formed p[ie shells in the disposable
>> pans.
>>

> Was not aware of that product. Thanks. Probablr right next to the formed
> crusts and I didn't see it.
>
>> -sw

\|||/
(o o)
,---ooO--(_)--------.
| |
| Please don't |
|feed the Sqwerty & |
| Marty TROLLS! |
| |
`-------------ooO---'
|__|__|
|| ||
ooO Ooo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 13 Aug 2015 16:51:29 GMT, KenK wrote:
>>
>>> I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
>>> buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
>>> capabilities.
>>>
>>> My probably futile question:
>>>
>>> Is there any way to make a faux pot pie? A casserole with all the
>>> ingredients except the pie crust, but with the addition of comething
>>> to give at least a small hint of pie crust taste?
>>>
>>> Probably hopeless but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

>> Make a crustless pot pie and cover the top with flattened canned
>> biscuit dough, store-bought puff pie pastry, or use a Bisquick
>> topping such as:
>>
>> http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...en-pot-pie/f56
>> faec7-3303-4720-9e68-adbd534fb0f6
>>

> Thank you. Printed it. Have you tried this? Does it taste like
> tradutional pie crust or bisquits?
>
>> Also, look for pre-made pie dough rolled into logs and sold in the
>> refrigerator section. The last two I bought were $1.38/pair. They're
>> a lot cheaper than buying the pre-formed p[ie shells in the disposable
>> pans.
>>

> Was not aware of that product. Thanks. Probablr right next to the formed
> crusts and I didn't see it.

Different place I know, but I have seen them in our supermarkets near the
butter/lard/etc

If you don't see it, do ask.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> I think Pillsbury's are blue boxes but
> my store brand is much cheaper.
>
> -sw

You are just real damned slow to learn...

You get this through your thick skull, woman-hater -

What you did to poor Omelet, literally stalking her right off usenet
will NEVER be forgotten, NEVER!

Herewith, from austin.food, another of the groups YOU have personally
killed off:

>> Omelet wrote:

>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 Aug 2015 16:51:29 GMT, KenK > wrote:

> I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
> buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
> capabilities.
>
> My probably futile question:
>
> Is there any way to make a faux pot pie? A casserole with all the
> ingredients except the pie crust, but with the addition of comething to
> give at least a small hint of pie crust taste?
>
> Probably hopeless but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
>
> TIA

Ken, pot pies are so easy! Stew your meat until tender (chicken is
faster than beef), thicken the stewing liquid and then add frozen
vegetables. Look for the bag that has all the vegetables, green
beans, corn, peas, carrots, onion. I forget what's in it. Mix it all
up, put it in your baking dish/casserole, top it with (thawed) frozen
pie crust - the kind that comes in a handy aluminum pie pan, which you
can also use as your baking vessel if you're not cooking for the
apocalypse. Stab it a couple of times to create escape hatches for
steam and you're done. Be sure to bake it on a cookie sheet to catch
any drips. You're only cooking the crust, so take it out of the oven
when the crust is browned to your liking. I'm guessing 30 minutes
will do it, but timing depends on volume and heat.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-08-13 17:41:15 +0000, KenK said:

> Sqwertz > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 13 Aug 2015 16:51:29 GMT, KenK wrote:
>>
>>> I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
>>> buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
>>> capabilities.
>>>
>>> My probably futile question:
>>>
>>> Is there any way to make a faux pot pie? A casserole with all the
>>> ingredients except the pie crust, but with the addition of comething
>>> to give at least a small hint of pie crust taste?
>>>
>>> Probably hopeless but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

>> Make a crustless pot pie and cover the top with flattened canned
>> biscuit dough, store-bought puff pie pastry, or use a Bisquick
>> topping such as:
>>
>> http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...en-pot-pie/f56
>> faec7-3303-4720-9e68-adbd534fb0f6
>>

> Thank you. Printed it. Have you tried this? Does it taste like
> tradutional pie crust or bisquits?
>
>> Also, look for pre-made pie dough rolled into logs and sold in the
>> refrigerator section. The last two I bought were $1.38/pair. They're
>> a lot cheaper than buying the pre-formed p[ie shells in the disposable
>> pans.
>>

> Was not aware of that product. Thanks. Probablr right next to the formed
> crusts and I didn't see it.

O god I love a pot pie. Everytime the wife and I are shopping and I
begin the begging she insists on showing me nutritional information
where it's "fat" measure is "it will kill you". I'd never though about
trying my hand at it, but if it's just a bisquick or biscuit dough
solution, that may well be at my skill level.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-08-13 18:23:14 +0000, sf said:

> Stew your meat until tender (chicken is
> faster than beef), thicken the stewing liquid and then add frozen
> vegetables. Look for the bag that has all the vegetables, green
> beans, corn, peas, carrots, onion. I forget what's in it. Mix it all
> up, put it in your baking dish/casserole, top it with (thawed) frozen
> pie crust - the kind that comes in a handy aluminum pie pan, which you
> can also use as your baking vessel if you're not cooking for the
> apocalypse. Stab it a couple of times to create escape hatches for
> steam and you're done. Be sure to bake it on a cookie sheet to catch
> any drips. You're only cooking the crust, so take it out of the oven
> when the crust is browned to your liking. I'm guessing 30 minutes
> will do it, but timing depends on volume and heat.

That's officially on my schedule of projected activities!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2015081311465386910-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2015-08-13 17:41:15 +0000, KenK said:
>
>> Sqwertz > wrote in
>> :

>>> Make a crustless pot pie and cover the top with flattened canned
>>> biscuit dough, store-bought puff pie pastry, or use a Bisquick
>>> topping such as:
>>>
>>> http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...en-pot-pie/f56
>>> faec7-3303-4720-9e68-adbd534fb0f6
>>>

>> Thank you. Printed it. Have you tried this? Does it taste like
>> tradutional pie crust or bisquits?
>>
>>> Also, look for pre-made pie dough rolled into logs and sold in the
>>> refrigerator section. The last two I bought were $1.38/pair. They're
>>> a lot cheaper than buying the pre-formed p[ie shells in the disposable
>>> pans.
>>>

>> Was not aware of that product. Thanks. Probablr right next to the formed
>> crusts and I didn't see it.

> O god I love a pot pie. Everytime the wife and I are shopping and I begin
> the begging she insists on showing me nutritional information where it's
> "fat" measure is "it will kill you". I'd never though about trying my
> hand at it, but if it's just a bisquick or biscuit dough solution, that
> may well be at my skill level.

lol Do try ready made frozen/cool puff pastry too and then I might let you
into the joys of suet pastry ... our favourite)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-13, KenK > wrote:

> I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
> buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
> capabilities.

No, it's not:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...st-recipe.html

This recipe works!

The key is the resting/chilling period of 20 mins. Use it, then
modify per your situation.

The key to a good crust is this: Cut the butter/shortening very
coarse. Corn kernel size or bigger. Then, do not chill too long. A too cold
dough will split at the edges, when rolling. A too warm dough will melt while
rolling. Ony experience will make you a practiced crust maker. It's
worth the effort.

Good luck
nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-13, notbob > wrote:

> The key to a good crust is this:

DOH!!

I forgot one critical instruction. When making dough, the flour/water
ratio is always different. When a dry day, more water. Humid day,
less. How do you know? Add only enough water for all the dry
ingredients to come together. IOW, the recommended 1/4 C is only a
starting point. When the dough picks up all the flour in the bowl,
add no more water. If you add all of 1/4 C and still have flour in
the bowl, DO add more water. But, only enough to get the rest of the
flour to join the ball of dough.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
>I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
> buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
> capabilities.
>
> My probably futile question:
>
> Is there any way to make a faux pot pie? A casserole with all the
> ingredients except the pie crust, but with the addition of comething to
> give at least a small hint of pie crust taste?
>
> Probably hopeless but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Mix your pie crust a little on the damp side and then place snmall dollops
on top and bake.

Or use biscuit dough.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-08-13 19:05:18 +0000, Ophelia said:

>> O god I love a pot pie. Everytime the wife and I are shopping and I
>> begin the begging she insists on showing me nutritional information
>> where it's "fat" measure is "it will kill you". I'd never though about
>> trying my hand at it, but if it's just a bisquick or biscuit dough
>> solution, that may well be at my skill level.

> lol Do try ready made frozen/cool puff pastry too and then I might let
> you into the joys of suet pastry ... our favourite)

Why not? I'll try anything twice (I assume the first time hurts with
anything good).

I thought of you when I opened the OCWeekly (Orange County, CA) today.
I've eaten at a number of these, but certainly not all. The idea of
variety in Mexican food in general, narrowed down to variety,
specifically, just in tacos:

http://tinyurl.com/paw7fm2

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 9:06:09 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "gtr" > wrote in message news:2015081311465386910-xxx@yyyzzz....
> > On 2015-08-13 17:41:15 +0000, KenK said:
> >
> >> Sqwertz > wrote in
> >> :

> >> Thank you. Printed it. Have you tried this? Does it taste like
> >> tradutional pie crust or bisquits?

> >> Was not aware of that product. Thanks. Probablr right next to the formed
> >> crusts and I didn't see it.

> > O god I love a pot pie. Everytime the wife and I are shopping and I begin
> > the begging she insists on showing me nutritional information where it's
> > "fat" measure is "it will kill you". I'd never though about trying my
> > hand at it, but if it's just a bisquick or biscuit dough solution, that
> > may well be at my skill level.

> lol Do try ready made frozen/cool puff pastry too and then I might let you
> into the joys of suet pastry ... our favourite)
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Last night I had dinner with my civics group. They served baked mahimahi in cream sauce and a deconstructed beef pie. The beef filling part was glooped on the plate and a small square of puff pastry was placed on top. I told the server to give me only one square instead of two. That was a mistake on my part because the puff pastry was quite pleasant. Next time, I'll get two squares, three if I'm feeling ornery.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 1:46:57 PM UTC-5, gtr wrote:
> On 2015-08-13 17:41:15 +0000, KenK said:
>
> > Sqwertz > wrote in
> > :

> >> Make a crustless pot pie and cover the top with flattened canned
> >> biscuit dough, store-bought puff pie pastry, or use a Bisquick
> >> topping such as:
> >>
> >> http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...en-pot-pie/f56
> >> faec7-3303-4720-9e68-adbd534fb0f6
> >>

> > Thank you. Printed it. Have you tried this? Does it taste like
> > tradutional pie crust or bisquits?
> >
> >> Also, look for pre-made pie dough rolled into logs and sold in the
> >> refrigerator section. The last two I bought were $1.38/pair. They're
> >> a lot cheaper than buying the pre-formed p[ie shells in the disposable
> >> pans.
> >>

> > Was not aware of that product. Thanks. Probablr right next to the formed
> > crusts and I didn't see it.

> O god I love a pot pie. Everytime the wife and I are shopping and I
> begin the begging

Are you a child who has to beg for permission, or a man?

> she insists on showing me nutritional information
> where it's "fat" measure is "it will kill you".

Is your wife stupid? Fat will not "kill you."

> I'd never though about trying my hand at it, but if it's just a bisquick
> or biscuit dough solution, that may well be at my skill level.

So, you're not *skilled* at cooking?

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 14:33:15 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

> mahi mahi in cream sauce

I had to look that one up - lots of cream sauce variations that can be
used with other fish, thanks!

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-08-13 22:03:55 +0000, MisterDiddyWahDiddy said:

>> O god I love a pot pie. Everytime the wife and I are shopping and I
>> begin the begging

> Are you a child who has to beg for permission, or a man?

Okay, okay already. You're killfiled. I can't imagine what drives
people like you to pull a switchblade on somebody you don't even know.
Unimaginable. On the other hand, if I did understand you, I'd probably
have to have the same biology.

Fortunately I don't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 Aug 2015 16:51:29 GMT, KenK > wrote:

>I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
>buying the expensive pie shells.

I would have thought the pot was considerably more expensive?

>Making my own crust is beyond my
>capabilities.
>
>My probably futile question:
>
>Is there any way to make a faux pot pie? A casserole with all the
>ingredients except the pie crust, but with the addition of comething to
>give at least a small hint of pie crust taste?

Good question, I've no idea how to do that without using real crust.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-08-13 22:32:56 +0000, Bruce said:

>> Is your wife stupid? Fat will not "kill you."

> Epitaph: "But Bryan said it was ok!"

Just for the record, though the need to insult others (or their wives!)
doesn't really need a point of departure, the wife did not say anything
remotely like that. But she does point out how much fat, salt and
calories are in the foods I gravitate towards, and does this for health
reasons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 7:10:47 PM UTC-5, gtr wrote:
> On 2015-08-13 22:03:55 +0000, MisterDiddyWahDiddy said:
>
> >> O god I love a pot pie. Everytime the wife and I are shopping and I
> >> begin the begging

> > Are you a child who has to beg for permission, or a man?

> Okay, okay already. You're killfiled. I can't imagine what drives
> people like you to pull a switchblade on somebody you don't even know.
> Unimaginable. On the other hand, if I did understand you, I'd probably
> have to have the same biology.
>
> Fortunately I don't.

Fortunate for me that I don't have a wife whom I have to unsuccessfully
beg to allow me to buy a Banquet or Swanson frozen pot pie.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:
> Fortunate for me that I don't have a wife whom I have to unsuccessfully
> beg to allow me to buy a Banquet or Swanson frozen pot pie.
>
> --Bryan

You should eat as much cheap, over-fattened, chemically laden food as
you think you can cram into your festering face.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 17:10:43 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> On 2015-08-13 22:03:55 +0000, MisterDiddyWahDiddy said:
>
> >> O god I love a pot pie. Everytime the wife and I are shopping and I
> >> begin the begging

> > Are you a child who has to beg for permission, or a man?

> Okay, okay already. You're killfiled. I can't imagine what drives
> people like you to pull a switchblade on somebody you don't even know.
> Unimaginable. On the other hand, if I did understand you, I'd probably
> have to have the same biology.
>
> Fortunately I don't.

He has definitely gone off the deep end *again* and kissed sobriety
goodbye.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 19:03:26 -0600, rfc Troll Squad >
wrote:

> MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:
> > Fortunate for me that I don't have a wife whom I have to unsuccessfully
> > beg to allow me to buy a Banquet or Swanson frozen pot pie.
> >
> > --Bryan

> You should eat as much cheap, over-fattened, chemically laden food as
> you think you can cram into your festering face.

She's hoping he eats himself to death.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 17:16:34 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> On 2015-08-13 22:32:56 +0000, Bruce said:
>
> >> Is your wife stupid? Fat will not "kill you."

> > Epitaph: "But Bryan said it was ok!"

> Just for the record, though the need to insult others (or their wives!)
> doesn't really need a point of departure, the wife did not say anything
> remotely like that. But she does point out how much fat, salt and
> calories are in the foods I gravitate towards, and does this for health
> reasons.

It's okay gtr. Normal people know you used artistic licence when you
wrote it.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 7:18:43 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:

> > > Are you a child who has to beg for permission, or a man?

> > Okay, okay already. You're killfiled. I can't imagine what drives
> > people like you to pull a switchblade on somebody you don't even know.
> > Unimaginable. On the other hand, if I did understand you, I'd probably
> > have to have the same biology.
> >
> > Fortunately I don't.

> He has definitely gone off the deep end *again* and kissed sobriety
> goodbye.
>
> --
>
> sf

Another disciple of our resident TROLL has spoken...pitiful it
is, but not unexpected.
====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" wrote in message ...

>I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
>buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
>capabilities.
>
>My probably futile question:
>
>Is there any way to make a faux pot pie? A casserole with all the
>ingredients except the pie crust, but with the addition of comething to
>give at least a small hint of pie crust taste?
>
>Probably hopeless but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

You could put the filling into bread bowls. If you can make bread?

Robert

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-08-14 01:24:25 +0000, sf said:

>>> Epitaph: "But Bryan said it was ok!"

>> Just for the record, though the need to insult others (or their wives!)
>> doesn't really need a point of departure, the wife did not say anything
>> remotely like that. But she does point out how much fat, salt and
>> calories are in the foods I gravitate towards, and does this for health
>> reasons.

> It's okay gtr. Normal people know you used artistic licence when you
> wrote it.

Actually it's kind of a bonus when strangters pull a shank on you out
of the gate for nothing in particular. In this way you don't get lulled
into a false sense of community.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
>I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
> buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
> capabilities.
>
> My probably futile question:
>
> Is there any way to make a faux pot pie? A casserole with all the
> ingredients except the pie crust, but with the addition of comething to
> give at least a small hint of pie crust taste?
>
> Probably hopeless but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
>
> TIA

What kind of pie crusts are you buying that are so expensive? I
occasionally buy the Pillsbury ones or some frozen kind. Unless I get
organic ones, I don't think they are expensive.

What I used to do sometimes was use either canned biscuits or homemade
biscuit dough on top of a chicken/vegetable/gravy mix. Not quite the same.

But if you are more concerned with the taste and not the looks of it, you
could cobble together a real crust or even use a crust mix then just cover
the top with little pieces of it. In other words, instead of trying to roll
out the whole crust, just make little balls, pat them out and cobble them
across the top.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 13 Aug 2015 16:51:29 GMT, KenK wrote:
>>
>>> I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
>>> buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
>>> capabilities.
>>>
>>> My probably futile question:
>>>
>>> Is there any way to make a faux pot pie? A casserole with all the
>>> ingredients except the pie crust, but with the addition of comething
>>> to give at least a small hint of pie crust taste?
>>>
>>> Probably hopeless but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

>> Make a crustless pot pie and cover the top with flattened canned
>> biscuit dough, store-bought puff pie pastry, or use a Bisquick
>> topping such as:
>>
>> http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...en-pot-pie/f56
>> faec7-3303-4720-9e68-adbd534fb0f6
>>

> Thank you. Printed it. Have you tried this? Does it taste like
> tradutional pie crust or bisquits?
>
>> Also, look for pre-made pie dough rolled into logs and sold in the
>> refrigerator section. The last two I bought were $1.38/pair. They're
>> a lot cheaper than buying the pre-formed p[ie shells in the disposable
>> pans.
>>

> Was not aware of that product. Thanks. Probablr right next to the formed
> crusts and I didn't see it.

Should be with the Pillsbury products like cookie dough, Crescent rolls,
canned biscuits and pizza dough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2015081311465386910-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2015-08-13 17:41:15 +0000, KenK said:
>
>> Sqwertz > wrote in
>> :

>>> Make a crustless pot pie and cover the top with flattened canned
>>> biscuit dough, store-bought puff pie pastry, or use a Bisquick
>>> topping such as:
>>>
>>> http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...en-pot-pie/f56
>>> faec7-3303-4720-9e68-adbd534fb0f6
>>>

>> Thank you. Printed it. Have you tried this? Does it taste like
>> tradutional pie crust or bisquits?
>>
>>> Also, look for pre-made pie dough rolled into logs and sold in the
>>> refrigerator section. The last two I bought were $1.38/pair. They're
>>> a lot cheaper than buying the pre-formed p[ie shells in the disposable
>>> pans.
>>>

>> Was not aware of that product. Thanks. Probablr right next to the formed
>> crusts and I didn't see it.

> O god I love a pot pie. Everytime the wife and I are shopping and I begin
> the begging she insists on showing me nutritional information where it's
> "fat" measure is "it will kill you". I'd never though about trying my
> hand at it, but if it's just a bisquick or biscuit dough solution, that
> may well be at my skill level.

I love them too but the others in this house do not. Can't remember the
last time that I had one. Hmmm... May have to make one this winter.
They'll eat it whether they like it or not! Hehehe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> lol Do try ready made frozen/cool puff pastry too and then I might let
> you into the joys of suet pastry ... our favourite)

I don't think we can get that here but I did get some crust dough that had
lard in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 22:12:01 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> On 2015-08-14 01:24:25 +0000, sf said:

> >> Just for the record, though the need to insult others (or their wives!)
> >> doesn't really need a point of departure, the wife did not say anything
> >> remotely like that. But she does point out how much fat, salt and
> >> calories are in the foods I gravitate towards, and does this for health
> >> reasons.

> > It's okay gtr. Normal people know you used artistic licence when you
> > wrote it.

> Actually it's kind of a bonus when strangters pull a shank on you out
> of the gate for nothing in particular. In this way you don't get lulled
> into a false sense of community.

Yeah, there IS that aspect.

BTW: did you notice your post in reply to me in this thread was
canceled as well as mine? Every now and then one of my posts doesn't
stay on the server, but I see replies so I know it was generated. I
always figured it was astraweb's fault somehow... but you're not on
astraweb, so I don't know what happened this time.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:201508131417015313-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2015-08-13 19:05:18 +0000, Ophelia said:
>
>>> O god I love a pot pie. Everytime the wife and I are shopping and I
>>> begin the begging she insists on showing me nutritional information
>>> where it's "fat" measure is "it will kill you". I'd never though about
>>> trying my hand at it, but if it's just a bisquick or biscuit dough
>>> solution, that may well be at my skill level.

>> lol Do try ready made frozen/cool puff pastry too and then I might let
>> you into the joys of suet pastry ... our favourite)

> Why not? I'll try anything twice (I assume the first time hurts with
> anything good)

Not where (pot) pies are concerned)

Note: We jus call them pies. Beef and onion pie; chicken and mushroom pie
.... etc

> I thought of you when I opened the OCWeekly (Orange County, CA) today.
> I've eaten at a number of these, but certainly not all. The idea of
> variety in Mexican food in general, narrowed down to variety,
> specifically, just in tacos:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/paw7fm2

Oh my! You certainly have plenty of choice !!! I make tortillas for my
husband (he loves them) but I don't like them I suppose a lot of filling
would overpower the tortilla though ... anyway, I couldn't have one .. I am
low-carbing at present)

I will show him your post. He usually rolls them up with meat or breakfast
stuff or salad. Who knows, he might like me to make some of those. If he
does, expect me back for advice)

Thanks)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 9:06:09 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "gtr" > wrote in message

>> > O god I love a pot pie. Everytime the wife and I are shopping and I
>> > begin
>> > the begging she insists on showing me nutritional information where
>> > it's
>> > "fat" measure is "it will kill you". I'd never though about trying my
>> > hand at it, but if it's just a bisquick or biscuit dough solution, that
>> > may well be at my skill level.

>> lol Do try ready made frozen/cool puff pastry too and then I might let
>> you
>> into the joys of suet pastry ... our favourite)
>>

> Last night I had dinner with my civics group. They served baked mahimahi
> in cream sauce and a deconstructed beef pie. The beef filling part was
> glooped on the plate and a small square of puff pastry was placed on top.
> I told the server to give me only one square instead of two. That was a
> mistake on my part because the puff pastry was quite pleasant. Next time,
> I'll get two squares, three if I'm feeling ornery.

Cool BUT I hate that where the pastry is sitting on top. It is so much
nicer baked with the filling.

So now ... get thee down to buy some puff pastry and experiment)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> lol Do try ready made frozen/cool puff pastry too and then I might let
>> you into the joys of suet pastry ... our favourite)

> I don't think we can get that here but I did get some crust dough that had
> lard in it.

Ahh you are right!!! I had forgotten. We can buy shredded suet in packets
in the spmrkts.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" wrote in message

>On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 22:52:02 -0400, "Robert"
> wrote:
>
>>"KenK" wrote in message ...
>>
>>>I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
>>>buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
>>>capabilities.
>>>
>>>My probably futile question:
>>>
>>>Is there any way to make a faux pot pie? A casserole with all the
>>>ingredients except the pie crust, but with the addition of comething to
>>>give at least a small hint of pie crust taste?
>>>
>>>Probably hopeless but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

>>You could put the filling into bread bowls. If you can make bread?

>OR use pre-made pie crust. Widely available.

Did you not read the part "I do not like buying the expensive pie shells".

Robert

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
> buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
> capabilities.
>
> My probably futile question:
>
> Is there any way to make a faux pot pie? A casserole with all the
> ingredients except the pie crust, but with the addition of comething to
> give at least a small hint of pie crust taste?
>
> Probably hopeless but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
>
> TIA

Ken, do you have a food processor?

If so, look he

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRuBatgKkv0

If not you can use a pastry cutter, and if you don't have one of those, cut
the fat in with a knife and proceed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuCyDYYVILg

HTH

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Pies Serious Sid Baking 0 27-01-2010 08:24 AM
pies hahabogus General Cooking 3 28-05-2008 10:42 PM
Pies [email protected] General Cooking 7 30-01-2008 10:14 AM
Mm, pies [email protected] Vegetarian cooking 0 24-11-2006 09:51 PM
Cow Pies Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 06-03-2006 11:49 AM