Old 13-08-2015, 05:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pot pies

I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
capabilities.

My probably futile question:

Is there any way to make a faux pot pie? A casserole with all the
ingredients except the pie crust, but with the addition of comething to
give at least a small hint of pie crust taste?

Probably hopeless but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

TIA

Old 13-08-2015, 06:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-13 12:51 PM, KenK wrote:
I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
capabilities.

My probably futile question:

Is there any way to make a faux pot pie? A casserole with all the
ingredients except the pie crust, but with the addition of comething to
give at least a small hint of pie crust taste?

Probably hopeless but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Yes. It is called stew.

Old 13-08-2015, 06:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
Make a crustless pot pie

What you did to poor Omelet, literally stalking her right off usenet
will NEVER be forgotten, NEVER!

Herewith, from austin.food, another of the groups YOU have personally
killed off:

Omelet wrote:

He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

Old 13-08-2015, 06:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote in
:

On 13 Aug 2015 16:51:29 GMT, KenK wrote:

I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
capabilities.

My probably futile question:

Is there any way to make a faux pot pie? A casserole with all the
ingredients except the pie crust, but with the addition of comething
to give at least a small hint of pie crust taste?

Probably hopeless but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Make a crustless pot pie and cover the top with flattened canned
biscuit dough, store-bought puff pie pastry, or use a Bisquick
topping such as:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...en-pot-pie/f56
faec7-3303-4720-9e68-adbd534fb0f6

Thank you. Printed it. Have you tried this? Does it taste like
tradutional pie crust or bisquits?

Also, look for pre-made pie dough rolled into logs and sold in the
refrigerator section. The last two I bought were $1.38/pair. They're
a lot cheaper than buying the pre-formed p[ie shells in the disposable
pans.

Was not aware of that product. Thanks. Probablr right next to the formed
crusts and I didn't see it.

-sw

Old 13-08-2015, 06:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:
Sqwertz wrote in
:

[...]

\|||/
(o o)
,---ooO--(_)--------.
| |
| Please don't |
|feed the Sqwerty & |
| Marty TROLLS! |
| |
`-------------ooO---'
|__|__|
|| ||
ooO Ooo

Old 13-08-2015, 06:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" wrote in message
Sqwertz wrote in
:

[...]

Different place I know, but I have seen them in our supermarkets near the
butter/lard/etc

If you don't see it, do ask.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 13-08-2015, 06:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
I think Pillsbury's are blue boxes but
my store brand is much cheaper.

-sw

You are just real damned slow to learn...

You get this through your thick skull, woman-hater -

Old 13-08-2015, 07:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 Aug 2015 16:51:29 GMT, KenK wrote:

I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
capabilities.

My probably futile question:

Is there any way to make a faux pot pie? A casserole with all the
ingredients except the pie crust, but with the addition of comething to
give at least a small hint of pie crust taste?

Probably hopeless but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

TIA

Ken, pot pies are so easy! Stew your meat until tender (chicken is
faster than beef), thicken the stewing liquid and then add frozen
vegetables. Look for the bag that has all the vegetables, green
beans, corn, peas, carrots, onion. I forget what's in it. Mix it all
up, put it in your baking dish/casserole, top it with (thawed) frozen
pie crust - the kind that comes in a handy aluminum pie pan, which you
can also use as your baking vessel if you're not cooking for the
apocalypse. Stab it a couple of times to create escape hatches for
steam and you're done. Be sure to bake it on a cookie sheet to catch
any drips. You're only cooking the crust, so take it out of the oven
when the crust is browned to your liking. I'm guessing 30 minutes
will do it, but timing depends on volume and heat.

--

sf
Old 13-08-2015, 07:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-08-13 17:41:15 +0000, KenK said:

Sqwertz wrote in
:

[...]

O god I love a pot pie. Everytime the wife and I are shopping and I
begin the begging she insists on showing me nutritional information
where it's "fat" measure is "it will kill you". I'd never though about
trying my hand at it, but if it's just a bisquick or biscuit dough
solution, that may well be at my skill level.

Old 13-08-2015, 07:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-08-13 18:23:14 +0000, sf said:

Stew your meat until tender (chicken is
faster than beef), thicken the stewing liquid and then add frozen
vegetables. Look for the bag that has all the vegetables, green
beans, corn, peas, carrots, onion. I forget what's in it. Mix it all
up, put it in your baking dish/casserole, top it with (thawed) frozen
pie crust - the kind that comes in a handy aluminum pie pan, which you
can also use as your baking vessel if you're not cooking for the
apocalypse. Stab it a couple of times to create escape hatches for
steam and you're done. Be sure to bake it on a cookie sheet to catch
any drips. You're only cooking the crust, so take it out of the oven
when the crust is browned to your liking. I'm guessing 30 minutes
will do it, but timing depends on volume and heat.

That's officially on my schedule of projected activities!

Old 13-08-2015, 08:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-13 17:41:15 +0000, KenK said:

Sqwertz wrote in
:

[...]

lol Do try ready made frozen/cool puff pastry too and then I might let you
into the joys of suet pastry ... our favourite)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 13-08-2015, 08:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-13, KenK wrote:

I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
capabilities.

No, it's not:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...st-recipe.html

This recipe works!

The key is the resting/chilling period of 20 mins. Use it, then
modify per your situation.

The key to a good crust is this: Cut the butter/shortening very
coarse. Corn kernel size or bigger. Then, do not chill too long. A too cold
dough will split at the edges, when rolling. A too warm dough will melt while
rolling. Ony experience will make you a practiced crust maker. It's
worth the effort.

Good luck
nb

Old 13-08-2015, 09:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-13, notbob wrote:

The key to a good crust is this:

DOH!!

I forgot one critical instruction. When making dough, the flour/water
ratio is always different. When a dry day, more water. Humid day,
less. How do you know? Add only enough water for all the dry
ingredients to come together. IOW, the recommended 1/4 C is only a
starting point. When the dough picks up all the flour in the bowl,
add no more water. If you add all of 1/4 C and still have flour in
the bowl, DO add more water. But, only enough to get the rest of the
flour to join the ball of dough.

nb
Old 13-08-2015, 09:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" wrote in message
I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
capabilities.

My probably futile question:

Is there any way to make a faux pot pie? A casserole with all the
ingredients except the pie crust, but with the addition of comething to
give at least a small hint of pie crust taste?

Probably hopeless but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Mix your pie crust a little on the damp side and then place snmall dollops
on top and bake.

Or use biscuit dough.

---

Pies Serious Sid Baking 0 27-01-2010 09:24 AM
pies hahabogus General Cooking 3 28-05-2008 10:42 PM
Pies [email protected] General Cooking 7 30-01-2008 11:14 AM
Mm, pies [email protected] Vegetarian cooking 0 24-11-2006 10:51 PM
Cow Pies Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 06-03-2006 12:49 PM