Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pot pies

"MisterDiddyWahDiddy" > wrote in message

> Fortunate for me that I don't have a wife whom I have to unsuccessfully
> beg to allow me to buy a Banquet or Swanson frozen pot pie.

Those probably vie for the worst food ever, along with those frozen burritos
with TVP in them. I remember my dad buying a bunch of them once when they
were on sale for cheap. There was nothing in them! Perhaps a cube or two
of rubbery meat, a couple of peas, a carrot cube, the rest was gravy and
air. I guess the crust was okay but they certainly did not make a filling
or even tasty meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Robert" > wrote in message
> "The Other Guy" wrote in message
>
>>On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 22:52:02 -0400, "Robert"
> wrote:

>>>You could put the filling into bread bowls. If you can make bread?

>>OR use pre-made pie crust. Widely available.
>>

> Did you not read the part "I do not like buying the expensive pie shells".

Seems that a lot of people did not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2015 6:15 AM, Robert wrote:

>>> You could put the filling into bread bowls. If you can make bread?

>> OR use pre-made pie crust. Widely available.
>>

> Did you not read the part "I do not like buying the expensive pie shells".
>
> Robert

What is expensive? Pie crusts are less than a buck. It is makes a
mediocre meal into a great one, it is a pretty cheap investment. I
don't know how that compares with the premade shells though as I never
buy them.

There is frugal, and then there is cheap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 8:18:47 PM UTC-4, MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:

> > > Are you a child who has to beg for permission, or a man?

> > Okay, okay already. You're killfiled. I can't imagine what drives
> > people like you to pull a switchblade on somebody you don't even know.
> > Unimaginable. On the other hand, if I did understand you, I'd probably
> > have to have the same biology.
> >
> > Fortunately I don't.

> Fortunate for me that I don't have a wife whom I have to unsuccessfully
> beg to allow me to buy a Banquet or Swanson frozen pot pie.
>
> --Bryan

Banquet WOULD be about your speed, poverty boy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 19:03:26 -0600, rfc Troll Squad >
> wrote:
>
>> MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:
>>> Fortunate for me that I don't have a wife whom I have to unsuccessfully
>>> beg to allow me to buy a Banquet or Swanson frozen pot pie.
>>>
>>> --Bryan

>> You should eat as much cheap, over-fattened, chemically laden food as
>> you think you can cram into your festering face.

> She's hoping he eats himself to death.

A fair and reasonable wish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:
>>> Fortunately I don't.
>> >
>> >He has definitely gone off the deep end*again* and kissed sobriety
>> >goodbye.
>> >
>> >--
>> >
>> >sf

> Another disciple of our resident TROLL has spoken...pitiful it
> is, but not unexpected.
> ====

You are as gutless as any man who was ever misbirthed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 9:52:02 AM UTC-6, rfc Troll Squad wrote:

> > Another disciple of our resident TROLL has spoken...pitiful it
> > is, but not unexpected.
> > ====

> You are as gutless as any man who was ever misbirthed.

Stick it up your nose...freakin retard.
====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:

>>> Another disciple of our resident TROLL has spoken...pitiful it
>>> is, but not unexpected.
>>> ====

>> You are as gutless as any man who was ever misbirthed.

> Stick it up your nose...freakin retard.
> ====

I'd be right pleased to ram it up yours, you simple-minded little fop!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> That was me that did that.
>
> -sw

Why don't you just LEAVE this medium forever, woman-stalker?

Do it NOW!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "MisterDiddyWahDiddy" > wrote in message
>
> > Fortunate for me that I don't have a wife whom I have to unsuccessfully
> > beg to allow me to buy a Banquet or Swanson frozen pot pie.

> Those probably vie for the worst food ever, along with those frozen burritos
> with TVP in them. I remember my dad buying a bunch of them once when they
> were on sale for cheap. There was nothing in them! Perhaps a cube or two
> of rubbery meat, a couple of peas, a carrot cube, the rest was gravy and
> air. I guess the crust was okay but they certainly did not make a filling
> or even tasty meal.

I disagree. The Banquet turkey pot pies are tasty enough. Certainly a
home-made pie would be better but I have no problem with those when
they go on sale. I eat them maybe once per year. It's not a regular
thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Julie is actually right for a change.

GET OUT OF HERE NOW!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in
:

> "KenK" > wrote in message
>>I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
>> buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
>> capabilities.
>>
>> My probably futile question:
>>
>> Is there any way to make a faux pot pie? A casserole with all the
>> ingredients except the pie crust, but with the addition of comething
>> to give at least a small hint of pie crust taste?
>>
>> Probably hopeless but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

> Mix your pie crust a little on the damp side and then place snmall
> dollops on top and bake.
>
> Or use biscuit dough.
>

> ---

That's something I hadn't thought of! As I see it, the problem with
making my own crust is rolling it out, trimming, etc. This would solve
that problem.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-08-14 05:47:02 +0000, sf said:

> BTW: did you notice your post in reply to me in this thread was
> canceled as well as mine?

No; once read and acknowledged/responded to, I don't watch. I did NOT
see my initial chanterelle post, nor the first 4 responses to it,
though, and so started another topic. Then the *continuing* thread
began appearing. I went to an abandoned newsreader and found them all,
so assumed some filters in my regular newsreader were responsible.

> Every now and then one of my posts doesn't
> stay on the server, but I see replies so I know it was generated. I
> always figured it was astraweb's fault somehow... but you're not on
> astraweb, so I don't know what happened this time.

Yeah, it just sounds like spooks in the newsreaders. I can't imagine
it's taking place at a higher level.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-08-14 17:20:20 +0000, Gary said:

>> Those probably vie for the worst food ever, along with those frozen burritos
>> with TVP in them.

Yeah; though I liked them as a kid, they now seem small, thin and
oversalted. The pot pies I really love are those by Marie Callander,
something similar from Trader Joe's. But the best are from a place
called "La Palma Chicken Pie Shop" in Anaheim, or a deli that makes and
freezes them called Benjie's in Tustin. Both really fabulous.

>> I remember my dad buying a bunch of them once when they
>> were on sale for cheap. There was nothing in them! Perhaps a cube or two
>> of rubbery meat, a couple of peas, a carrot cube, the rest was gravy and
>> air. I guess the crust was okay but they certainly did not make a filling
>> or even tasty meal.

> I disagree. The Banquet turkey pot pies are tasty enough. Certainly a
> home-made pie would be better but I have no problem with those when
> they go on sale. I eat them maybe once per year. It's not a regular
> thing.

The best of the "ones that are good" in any frozen packaged-food
section of the supermarket, whether it's pot pies, pizza or enchiladas,
seem to be about 25% as good as anything made and assembled by humans.
I say this without having eaten every single one: That's too high a bar
for "exhaustive conclusions".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 10:41:53 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" <> wrote in message
> > On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 9:06:09 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >> "gtr" > wrote in message

> >> lol Do try ready made frozen/cool puff pastry too and then I might let
> >> you
> >> into the joys of suet pastry ... our favourite)
> >>

> > Last night I had dinner with my civics group. They served baked mahimahi
> > in cream sauce and a deconstructed beef pie. The beef filling part was
> > glooped on the plate and a small square of puff pastry was placed on top.
> > I told the server to give me only one square instead of two. That was a
> > mistake on my part because the puff pastry was quite pleasant. Next time,
> > I'll get two squares, three if I'm feeling ornery.

> Cool BUT I hate that where the pastry is sitting on top. It is so much
> nicer baked with the filling.
>
> So now ... get thee down to buy some puff pastry and experiment)
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

You're right that a real pie would have been better. We have our meetings at a retirement home and the foods are from their kitchen. They serve it that way because small or large pies are not real practical for the residents. Well, that's my theory anyway. If I was the cook, I'd make real pies.

I'm slated to be the president of my group next year. I'm completely unsuited for the position however, my main (and only) agenda is to move the meetings elsewhere. Wish me luck!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > BTW: did you notice your post in reply to me in this thread was
> > canceled as well as mine? Every now and then one of my posts doesn't
> > stay on the server, but I see replies so I know it was generated. I
> > always figured it was astraweb's fault somehow... but you're not on
> > astraweb, so I don't know what happened this time.

> That was me that did that.

hehheh ;-D

BTW Steve...all of your food posts with pics look very good. I rarely
respond but love to see the pics and descriptions. Just to let you
know. Let me know when you open up your own restaurant.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

truth and honor wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> > That was me that did that.
> >
> > -sw

> Why don't you just LEAVE this medium forever, woman-stalker?
>
> Do it NOW!

Why don't YOU just give it up and leave here, ass-breath. Get a real
life and move on. Good grief!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> sf wrote:
>>
>>> BTW: did you notice your post in reply to me in this thread was
>>> canceled as well as mine? Every now and then one of my posts doesn't
>>> stay on the server, but I see replies so I know it was generated. I
>>> always figured it was astraweb's fault somehow... but you're not on
>>> astraweb, so I don't know what happened this time.

>> That was me that did that.

> hehheh ;-D
>
> BTW Steve...all of your food posts with pics look very good. I rarely
> respond but love to see the pics and descriptions. Just to let you
> know. Let me know when you open up your own restaurant.

Oh for Pete's sake, you're actually feeding the dwarf's ego?

WTF is the matter with YOU anyway?!@?!

\|||/
(o o)
,---ooO--(_)--------.
| |
| Please don't |
|feed the Sqwerty & |
| Marty TROLLS! |
| |
`-------------ooO---'
|__|__|
|| ||
ooO Ooo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> truth and honor wrote:
>>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>> That was me that did that.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Why don't you just LEAVE this medium forever, woman-stalker?
>>
>> Do it NOW!

> Why don't YOU just give it up and leave here, ass-breath. Get a real
> life and move on. Good grief!

Ya know what ferret breath - **** YOU!

I am NEVER going to let the "Groupkillas" get away with their misogyny
and arrogance.

Get that through your pin head!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
> buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
> capabilities.
>
> My probably futile question:
>
> Is there any way to make a faux pot pie? A casserole with all the
> ingredients except the pie crust, but with the addition of comething
> to give at least a small hint of pie crust taste?
>
> Probably hopeless but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
>
> TIA

I ran into one by accident with my bread machine. I got distracted and
left the yeast out.

1 1/3 c buttermilk (can use powder)
1/3 c water
1 TB butter
4 c flour
1 ts salt
4 tsp sugar

Set to dough mode. Remove when read and this ne can be hand flattened
to a reasonable pastry crust. Makes a lot but you can freeze the
excess. The amount there would make something like 14-18 'hot pocket'
sized wraps?

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 4:12:05 PM UTC-6, truth and honor wrote: Nothing of importance.
===
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:
> On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 4:12:05 PM UTC-6, truth and honor wrote: Nothing of importance.
> ===

Pfffffttt...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2015-08-13 22:32:56 +0000, Bruce said:
>
> > > Is your wife stupid? Fat will not "kill you."

> > Epitaph: "But Bryan said it was ok!"

> Just for the record, though the need to insult others (or their
> wives!) doesn't really need a point of departure, the wife did not
> say anything remotely like that. But she does point out how much
> fat, salt and calories are in the foods I gravitate towards, and does
> this for health reasons.

Smile, I do the same for Don as does our daughter. We do not nag too
much, just make sure he knows to portion control an item. IE: High
sodium, can have one a day but not more. (Don is hypertensive salt
related so needs to watch that one).

Before you scream, Don has visual issues (not blind, low vision) that
make it hard for him to read such on a label. He appreciates the help.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 8:18:43 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:

> > > Are you a child who has to beg for permission, or a man?

> > Okay, okay already. You're killfiled. I can't imagine what drives
> > people like you to pull a switchblade on somebody you don't even know.
> > Unimaginable. On the other hand, if I did understand you, I'd probably
> > have to have the same biology.
> >
> > Fortunately I don't.

> He has definitely gone off the deep end *again* and kissed sobriety
> goodbye.

You ****ing stupid old crone, I never bought into the weakling "sobriety"
culture that believes in bullshit higher powers, and when I was drinking
heavily, that was when I was nicer. I have used alcohol to excess (which
I used to do almost every day) exactly twice since January, and both
occasions were planned.

Fat-o-phobes are ****ing stupid, and people who let their spouse dictate
their eating habits are spineless.

> sf

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 10:52:02 AM UTC-5, rfc Troll Squad wrote:

> > Another disciple of our resident TROLL has spoken...pitiful it
> > is, but not unexpected.
> > ====

> You are as gutless as any man who was ever misbirthed.

All you are accomplishing is getting folks to ally with Steve and Marty
against a common enemy--you. My enemy's enemy... What a loser you are.

Anonymous trolls like you are the gutless ones.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 12:32:26 PM UTC-5, truth and honor wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
> > Julie is actually right for a change.

> GET OUT OF HERE NOW!

HAHAHAHA. I agree with Julie too, which means that I agree with Steve.
Steve is still here and you are a COMPLETE FAILURE!

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> Okay, okay already. You're killfiled. I can't imagine what drives
>>> people like you to pull a switchblade on somebody you don't even know.
>>> Unimaginable. On the other hand, if I did understand you, I'd probably
>>> have to have the same biology.
>>>
>>> Fortunately I don't.

>> He has definitely gone off the deep end *again* and kissed sobriety
>> goodbye.
>>

> You ****ing stupid old crone, I never bought into the weakling "sobriety"
> culture that believes in bullshit higher powers, and when I was drinking
> heavily, that was when I was nicer.

Oh sure, you _think_ you were nicer, alky's always do...

> I have used alcohol to excess (which
> I used to do almost every day) exactly twice since January, and both
> occasions were planned.

Oh how nice you plan for your rfc binges...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> Another disciple of our resident TROLL has spoken...pitiful it
>>> is, but not unexpected.
>>> ====

>> You are as gutless as any man who was ever misbirthed.

> All you are accomplishing is getting folks to ally with Steve and Marty
> against a common enemy--you.

Those who ally with evil to promote a broken culture of arrogance and
bullying were worth NOTHING to begin with, and even less as their
obvious hypocrisy emerges.

> My enemy's enemy... What a loser you are.
>
> Anonymous trolls like you are the gutless ones.

Say what, Bosco Pelone?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:
> On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 12:32:26 PM UTC-5, truth and honor wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>> Julie is actually right for a change.

>> GET OUT OF HERE NOW!

> HAHAHAHA. I agree with Julie too, which means that I agree with Steve.
> Steve is still here and you are a COMPLETE FAILURE!
>
> --Bryan

I'm not even close to being done here...enjoy!

Pssst...you're next...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 6:30:08 PM UTC-5, truth and honor wrote:
> MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:
> >>

> >> GET OUT OF HERE NOW!

> > HAHAHAHA. I agree with Julie too, which means that I agree with Steve.
> > Steve is still here and you are a COMPLETE FAILURE!
> >
> > --Bryan
> >

> I'm not even close to being done here...enjoy!
>
> Pssst...you're next...

The hatred of a Bircher is a compliment.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:
> On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 6:30:08 PM UTC-5, truth and honor wrote:
>> MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:

>>> HAHAHAHA. I agree with Julie too, which means that I agree with Steve.
>>> Steve is still here and you are a COMPLETE FAILURE!
>>>
>>> --Bryan
>>>

>> I'm not even close to being done here...enjoy!
>>
>> Pssst...you're next...

> The hatred of a Bircher is a compliment.
>
> --Bryan

The seething rage of a communist is a terrible thing to behold.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-08-14 22:37:34 +0000, Roy said:

> On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 4:12:05 PM UTC-6, truth and honor wrote:
> Nothing of importance.
> ===

Glad I missed it. Unsure why I was notified...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:
> On 2015-08-14 22:37:34 +0000, Roy said:
>
>> On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 4:12:05 PM UTC-6, truth and honor wrote:
>> Nothing of importance.
>> ===

> Glad I missed it. Unsure why I was notified...

Roy has delusions of relevance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 18:23:32 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>On 2015-08-14 22:37:34 +0000, Roy said:
>
>> On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 4:12:05 PM UTC-6, truth and honor wrote:
>> Nothing of importance.
>> ===

>Glad I missed it. Unsure why I was notified...

You'd think he'd have figured things out by now, but no... still
replying to the casa troll.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 17:27:09 -0600, truth and honor > wrote:

> >> He has definitely gone off the deep end *again* and kissed sobriety
> >> goodbye.
> >>

> > You ****ing stupid old crone, I never bought into the weakling "sobriety"
> > culture that believes in bullshit higher powers, and when I was drinking
> > heavily, that was when I was nicer.

> Oh sure, you _think_ you were nicer, alky's always do...
>
> > I have used alcohol to excess (which
> > I used to do almost every day) exactly twice since January, and both
> > occasions were planned.

> Oh how nice you plan for your rfc binges...

It also explains his long absences. He has other interests when he's
sober.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 11:31:11 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> The best of the "ones that are good" in any frozen packaged-food
> section of the supermarket, whether it's pot pies, pizza or enchiladas,
> seem to be about 25% as good as anything made and assembled by humans.
> I say this without having eaten every single one: That's too high a bar
> for "exhaustive conclusions".

I can agree with that assessment.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 10:47:10 -0600, truth and honor > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> > That was me that did that.
> >
> > -sw

> Why don't you just LEAVE this medium forever, woman-stalker?
>
> Do it NOW!

Look at the little weasel puffing out his chest like that.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 14:56:02 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> truth and honor wrote:
> >
> > Sqwertz wrote:
> > > That was me that did that.
> > >
> > > -sw

> > Why don't you just LEAVE this medium forever, woman-stalker?
> >
> > Do it NOW!

> Why don't YOU just give it up and leave here, ass-breath. Get a real
> life and move on. Good grief!

You're so clueless.

--

sf

Pies Serious Sid Baking 0 27-01-2010 08:24 AM
pies hahabogus General Cooking 3 28-05-2008 10:42 PM
Pies [email protected] General Cooking 7 30-01-2008 10:14 AM
Mm, pies [email protected] Vegetarian cooking 0 24-11-2006 09:51 PM
Cow Pies Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 06-03-2006 11:49 AM