Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Australia may limit Vegemite sales

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-33839742

The Australian government is proposing banning the sale of the popular
Vegemite spread in some communities because it is used to make alcohol.

It says the yeast-based product is contributing to anti-social behaviour
in some remote communities.

Indigenous Affairs Minister Nigel Scullion described the salty spread as
a "precursor to misery".

He said it was being bought in bulk to make moonshine, sometimes being
brewed in bathtubs.

In communities where alcohol is banned because of addiction problems, Mr
Scullion said Vegemite sales should also be restricted, the BBC's Jon
Donnison in Sydney reports.

The minister added that in some cases children were failing to turn up
to school because they were too hung over, and that Vegemite was an
increasingly common factor in domestic violence cases.

Vegemite started as a wartime substitute for Marmite.

It is now something of an Australian culinary icon, our correspondent says.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/8/2015 10:02 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> All the best stuff comes from bathtubs.
>> Omelet wrote:

>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 8, 2015 at 8:52:02 PM UTC-7, graham wrote:
> http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-33839742
>
> The Australian government is proposing banning the sale of the popular
> Vegemite spread in some communities because it is used to make alcohol.
>
> It says the yeast-based product is contributing to anti-social behaviour
> in some remote communities.
>
> Indigenous Affairs Minister Nigel Scullion described the salty spread as
> a "precursor to misery".
>
> He said it was being bought in bulk to make moonshine, sometimes being
> brewed in bathtubs.
>
> In communities where alcohol is banned because of addiction problems, Mr
> Scullion said Vegemite sales should also be restricted, the BBC's Jon
> Donnison in Sydney reports.
>
> The minister added that in some cases children were failing to turn up
> to school because they were too hung over, and that Vegemite was an
> increasingly common factor in domestic violence cases.
>
> Vegemite started as a wartime substitute for Marmite.
>
> It is now something of an Australian culinary icon, our correspondent says.

Vegemite was first introduced to market in 1923 -- a bit after Armistice Day.
But the biggest problem is that the yeast in Vegemite is dead Dead DEAD.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2015 2:59 PM, wrote:
It has even been confirmed that George Bush (GHWB) denied presidents,
during and after his tenure in office, access to sensitive data, such
the the U.S. UFO files due to the fact they did not possess the proper
security clearances. President Carter wanted to access those files due
to his own experience of seeing a UFO but was denied access by the CIA.
To this day, GHWB exercises undue influence within the CIA as he made
sure he had loyal operatives at all levels, starting at the
directorship. Then again he made sure he had damaging information on
many key individuals, all else failing he “ordered their
neutralization,” former CIA Director William Colby, being a notable
example. The official finding was suicide.

He is known, by many government insiders, to be an openingly unabashed
(doesn’t hide it among friends) pedophile, specifically referring to the
Franklin Community Credit Union scandal in the 1980s which was a major
national scandal that was covered-up by White House officials during the
time GHWB was vice president to Reagan and later.

He is also a practicing satanist by many accounts (now very popular
among the elite with their hand signs and T.V shows with satanic symbols
and themes – Beyonce, one among many); a coward (during World War II);
authorized the assassinations of democratically elected foreign leaders,
as well as American citizens – most notably Ross Perot who ran against
him as president – and used the CIA as a front for drug smuggling into
the United States using military transport aircraft and ships, a
practice that started with the Iran/Contra Scandal and later blossomed
as a major source of black operations funding outside the congressional
budget appropriations process where Congress controls the purse.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2015 1:52 PM, graham wrote:
It has even been confirmed that George Bush (GHWB) denied presidents,
during and after his tenure in office, access to sensitive data, such
the the U.S. UFO files due to the fact they did not possess the proper
security clearances. President Carter wanted to access those files due
to his own experience of seeing a UFO but was denied access by the CIA.
To this day, GHWB exercises undue influence within the CIA as he made
sure he had loyal operatives at all levels, starting at the
directorship. Then again he made sure he had damaging information on
many key individuals, all else failing he €śordered their
neutralization,€ť former CIA Director William Colby, being a notable
[...]

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-33839742
>
> The Australian government is proposing banning the sale of the popular
> Vegemite spread in some communities because it is used to make alcohol.
>
> It says the yeast-based product is contributing to anti-social behaviour
> in some remote communities.
>
> Indigenous Affairs Minister Nigel Scullion described the salty spread as a
> "precursor to misery".
>
> He said it was being bought in bulk to make moonshine, sometimes being
> brewed in bathtubs.
>
> In communities where alcohol is banned because of addiction problems, Mr
> Scullion said Vegemite sales should also be restricted, the BBC's Jon
> Donnison in Sydney reports.
>
> The minister added that in some cases children were failing to turn up to
> school because they were too hung over, and that Vegemite was an
> increasingly common factor in domestic violence cases.
>
> Vegemite started as a wartime substitute for Marmite.
>
> It is now something of an Australian culinary icon, our correspondent
> says.

We had that on our news this morning.

How do they stop people going to areas without where it is not banned and
buying it anyway??

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/08/2015 11:45 am, wrote:

> Vegemite is not a patch on Marmite !

+1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite

The original and best!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2015 5:53 PM, Ophelia wrote:
I have, on at least three prior occasions, written posts that delve into
the €śalleged€ť lurid past of one of our former presidents, George Herbert
Walker Bush (GHWB), the current but ailing patriarch of the Bush Family
Dynasty €“ I refer to them as the Bush Family Crime Syndicate, certainly
not in terms of endearment €“ but rather more like the Mafia Godfather
who prepares his sons to take over the family business upon his death.
This particular post references an article by Stew Webb, a contributor
of Veterans Today.

In his life-time, George H. W. Bush (GHWB) has controlled every
clandestine (hidden from view) and secret organization/operation within
the arsenal of the United States government as either 1) Director of the
CIA, 2) Vice President to Ronald Reagan (who was an unwitting puppet to
the Bush controlled cabal €“ GHWB secretly gave Reagan poisons that
hastened his fall into Alzheimers Disease and evidence suggests he
helped plan Reagan attempted assassination by John Hinckley, whose
family were close friends of the Bush family €“ a coincidence?) and 3)
ultimately as President of the United States before Bill Clinton took
office.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

**** off, woman-stalker:

>> Omelet wrote:

>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/10/2015 2:55 AM, TRS wrote:
Barbara J. Llorente - A FRAUD!
Get the **** out of here, you FAT FRAUD biotch troll!

Get out - stalker!

....dump!

____.-.____
[__Barbara__]
[_J.Llorente _]
(d|||TROLL|||b)
`|||ENABLER|||`
`"""""""""'
\\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~//

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Aug 2015 21:52:13 -0600, graham wrote:

> He said it was being bought in bulk to make moonshine, sometimes being
> brewed in bathtubs.

Somebody should inform him that you can make moonshine from just about
anything that will ferment, vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts, tree bark,
etc..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/11/2015 6:51 AM, Mitchell Brown wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Aug 2015 21:52:13 -0600, graham wrote:

The true story never has been told that children from orphanages all
across America during the 1980s came to Washington DC, paid by the US
Taxpayers, to unknowingly participate in the Congressional Blackmail
Child Sex Ring. Daddy Bush, Dick Cheney, John Sununu, according to
sources, would be standing in line to greet the children and their
caretakers as they came to the Vice Presidents Home and or the White
House for their specially invited tour at US Government expense. Bush,
Cheney and Sununu would ask, €śwhats your name€ť, and later just before
dinner time, a call from the White House came into the hotel where the
children were staying to the Caretakers inviting Little Billy, Mary,
Johnny, Timmy, and Pam to the White House State dinner that evening.

The caretakers thought it would be good for the children, since the
White House could not accommodate the entire orphanage. Gunderson and
Pender, who ran the operation, dispatched the limo at Bushs request,
and the female would take the children to the limo and immediately give
them a Coke or Pepsi with the VOODOO DRUG in it, and they were off to
U.S. Senator Barney Franks pad, known as a €śBrownstone€ť.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 1:52:44 PM UTC-7, Mitchell Brown wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Aug 2015 21:52:13 -0600, graham wrote:
>

> > He said it was being bought in bulk to make moonshine, sometimes being
> > brewed in bathtubs.
> >

> Somebody should inform him that you can make moonshine from just about
> anything that will ferment, vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts, tree bark,
> etc..

you can make "Jungle Juice" or "Pruno," but to make, say, poteen requires
a still.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 21:52:13 -0600, graham > wrote:

>http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-33839742
>
>The Australian government is proposing banning the sale of the popular
>Vegemite spread in some communities because it is used to make alcohol.
>
>It says the yeast-based product is contributing to anti-social behaviour
>in some remote communities.
>
>Indigenous Affairs Minister Nigel Scullion described the salty spread as
>a "precursor to misery".
>
>He said it was being bought in bulk to make moonshine, sometimes being
>brewed in bathtubs.
>
>In communities where alcohol is banned because of addiction problems, Mr
>Scullion said Vegemite sales should also be restricted, the BBC's Jon
>Donnison in Sydney reports.
>
>The minister added that in some cases children were failing to turn up
>to school because they were too hung over, and that Vegemite was an
>increasingly common factor in domestic violence cases.
>
>Vegemite started as a wartime substitute for Marmite.
>
>It is now something of an Australian culinary icon, our correspondent says.

It's been an 'Australian icon' for many, many decades. It's *never*
been an 'Australian CULINARY icon'. Aside from that, the story makes
absolutely no sense at all on several levels. It's bullshit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 21:52:13 -0600, graham > wrote:

>http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-33839742

<snip>
>He said it was being bought in bulk to make moonshine, sometimes being
>brewed in bathtubs.

How does one make moonshine with a bathtub? Quite an achievement
there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Aug 2015 07:48:32 -0300, wrote:

>I thought the article seemed like one of those April 1st spoofs

Certainly reads like one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Aug 2015 07:45:59 -0300, wrote:

>Vegemite is not a patch on Marmite !

They _all_ taste like shit to me...
Posted to rec.food.cooking
tDs tDs is offline

On 8/10/2015 9:57 PM, Je�us wrote:
> It's been an 'Australian icon' for many, many decades.

So has cheaply made crap housing, a wildly roller-coaster minerals-
whoring economy and utter and lasting continental irrelevance.

Oh well...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 20:51:02 +0000 (UTC), Mitchell Brown
> wrote:

>On Sat, 08 Aug 2015 21:52:13 -0600, graham wrote:
>

>> He said it was being bought in bulk to make moonshine, sometimes being
>> brewed in bathtubs.
>>

>Somebody should inform him that you can make moonshine from just about
>anything that will ferment, vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts, tree bark,
>etc..

I'd like to know how the hell Vegemite makes alcohol in the first
place? Why ON EARTH would they not use something cheaper and more
effective, such as baker's yeast? The story simply makes no sense.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Strange though that Australians, who generally have
> conservative palates, like something that tastes like fermented goat
> turds.

You seem to have an "eating poo" fixation there, Bruce.
Have you actually tried fermented goat turds? Are they good?

Old repeated story -
My old boss (when talking about eating different foods)
always said,
"Heck, I'd eat a turd if it was properly prepared."

That was so funny to me, I've always remembered it.

:-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Opinicus wrote:

> Especially since none of my moonshine-makin' kin even knew what a
> bathtub was.

The Appalachian side of my family lived without a real bathroom or a
bathtub up until I was about age 10-12. I remember when they finally
installed a real bathroom with running water and a bathtub. It was the
first thing they would show you when you came to visit because it was
so great to finally have. They were so proud of the real bathroom. lol

Before then, I would visit for a week or two (my grandparents), and
they had no tub. They had a large galvanized tub that they would fill
with water heated on the coal kitchen stove. Everyone took a bath at
night in that galvanized tub that was behind the enormous stove. The
lucky ones were the first one or two to get a bath as the water was
still fairly clean.

And back in those days, there was the outhouse for day use and the
honey pot in the upstairs landing for night use. It was like camping
out (or worse) whenever I visited there but I loved those people and
their ways.

:-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 8:30:26 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Bruce wrote:

> > >Bruce is the one that said it tastes like Goat poo. hahaha
> > >
> > >Correct me if wrong but I get the impression that vegemite is
> > >something like a chocolate flavored spread served on toast, crackers,
> > >or whatever. And people feed this to their kids for breakfast? I
> > >sounds so nasty to me.

> > Not like chocolate. Staying away from uncouth comparisons, I'd say
> > more like motor oil.

> LOL! They do sell this stuff in my grocery store now. About $5.00
> usd. It's almost tempting to try but it would probably be a waste of
> money????

I didn't see Bruce's entire reply (I'm a Google Groups troglodyte
and he's got "no archive" set), but the chocolate stuff is Nutella.

I would have guessed that Vegemite and Marmite both taste something
like Worcestershire sauce, with a component that's yeasty or tastes
like feet. Motor oil came as a surprise.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 05:59:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 8:30:26 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:

>> > Not like chocolate. Staying away from uncouth comparisons, I'd say
>> > more like motor oil.

>> LOL! They do sell this stuff in my grocery store now. About $5.00
>> usd. It's almost tempting to try but it would probably be a waste of
>> money????

>I didn't see Bruce's entire reply (I'm a Google Groups troglodyte
>and he's got "no archive" set), but the chocolate stuff is Nutella.

I turned it off for this message. Are you saying that "no archive"
means the post never shows up on GG at all? That would be a new thing,
I believe.

>I would have guessed that Vegemite and Marmite both taste something
>like Worcestershire sauce, with a component that's yeasty or tastes
>like feet. Motor oil came as a surprise.

Yeasty, Worcestershire sauce, concentrated gravy, concentrated
anchovis paste are all maybe closer than motor oil, also because I've
never tasted that.

--
Bruce