Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default This Is the Perfect Tomato - But supermarkets refuse to sell it

Tomato lovers, rejoice, for science has achieved the impossible: the
perfect supermarket tomato. The Garden Gem won't bruise during
shipping, it resists many of the major diseases that regularly
decimate tomato crops, and it is a flesh-producing powerhouse, turning
out up to 22 pounds of tomatoes per plant, which is as productive as
the best modern cultivars.

But there is one aspect in which the Garden Gem is very different from
every other supermarket tomato: flavor. It actually has it. Lots. More
than 500 sensory panelists at the University of Florida have declared
it among the very best tomatoes they have tested.

Tomato lovers, stop rejoicing. Because you will not find the perfect
supermarket tomato in any supermarket. Not now, and perhaps not ever.
It's not because the Garden Gem is a genetically modified organism—it
was bred the same way tomatoes have been bred for thousands of years.
It's not because some multinational owns the patent and won’t release
it in the U.S. (which, unfortunately, is the case with a superb
British potato called the Mayan Gold). It's because Big Tomato doesn't
care about flavor. Tomato farmers don't care. Tomato packers don't
care. And supermarkets don't care.

When it comes to flavor, the tomato industry is broken. And not even
the Garden Gem appears able to fix it.

Full story at

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...ermarkets.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 09:47:23 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
> It's because Big Tomato doesn't
>care about flavor. Tomato farmers don't care. Tomato packers don't
>care. And supermarkets don't care.
>
>When it comes to flavor, the tomato industry is broken. And not even
>the Garden Gem appears able to fix it.
>
>Full story at
>
>http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...ermarkets.html

PEOPLE don't apparently care about the lack of flavor either! That's
how we got to these perfect LOOKING flavorless tomatos we have in
supermarkets today! I remember reading something a while back about
how real "heirloom" tomatos, or tomatos opf olde, didnt always redden
up evenly and completely, but plant breederd figured out how to breed
a tomato plant that would produce tomatos which would riped up and
redden completely and evenly, at the sacrifice of flavor. And since
most peoolle are more interested in form over functioin, they sold!!
This all the tomatos we grow and eat today quickly became this new
hybrid. Sick sad and TRUE!!

Don'r be fooked by all this advertising hype about :heirloom" tomatos!
None exist anymorte,m anywhere, save for if your great grandparents
have been growing the same genetic stock of tomatos for over 100
years! VERY unlikely to ever find today.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Tomato lovers, rejoice, for science has achieved the impossible: the
>perfect supermarket tomato. The Garden Gem won't bruise during
>shipping, it resists many of the major diseases that regularly
>decimate tomato crops, and it is a flesh-producing powerhouse, turning
>out up to 22 pounds of tomatoes per plant, which is as productive as
>the best modern cultivars.
>
>But there is one aspect in which the Garden Gem is very different from
>every other supermarket tomato: flavor. It actually has it. Lots. More
>than 500 sensory panelists at the University of Florida have declared
>it among the very best tomatoes they have tested.
>
>Tomato lovers, stop rejoicing. Because you will not find the perfect
>supermarket tomato in any supermarket. Not now, and perhaps not ever.
>It's not because the Garden Gem is a genetically modified organism—it
>was bred the same way tomatoes have been bred for thousands of years.
>It's not because some multinational owns the patent and won’t release
>it in the U.S. (which, unfortunately, is the case with a superb
>British potato called the Mayan Gold). It's because Big Tomato doesn't
>care about flavor. Tomato farmers don't care. Tomato packers don't
>care. And supermarkets don't care.
>
>When it comes to flavor, the tomato industry is broken. And not even
>the Garden Gem appears able to fix it.
>
>Full story at
>
>http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...ermarkets.html

If you had read the full story you would have seen that seed/plant
growers rejected the tomato because of its size - it would have raised
harvest costs.

Really, that is all the article says about this tomato. The complaints
about grocery stores were about grapes, and illogical and
unsubstantiated. The complaints about kiwis and growers were
unsubstantiated by anything factual.

Come back with some hard facts and get over the fact that Slate is a
click-bait web site manned by bloggers who don't know a whole helluva
lot more than reeling in clicks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Tomato lovers, rejoice, for science has achieved the impossible: the
>perfect supermarket tomato. The Garden Gem won't bruise during
>shipping, it resists many of the major diseases that regularly
>decimate tomato crops, and it is a flesh-producing powerhouse, turning
>out up to 22 pounds of tomatoes per plant, which is as productive as
>the best modern cultivars.
>
>But there is one aspect in which the Garden Gem is very different from
>every other supermarket tomato: flavor. It actually has it. Lots. More
>than 500 sensory panelists at the University of Florida have declared
>it among the very best tomatoes they have tested.
>
>Tomato lovers, stop rejoicing. Because you will not find the perfect
>supermarket tomato in any supermarket. Not now, and perhaps not ever.
>It's not because the Garden Gem is a genetically modified organism—it
>was bred the same way tomatoes have been bred for thousands of years.
>It's not because some multinational owns the patent and won’t release
>it in the U.S. (which, unfortunately, is the case with a superb
>British potato called the Mayan Gold). It's because Big Tomato doesn't
>care about flavor. Tomato farmers don't care. Tomato packers don't
>care. And supermarkets don't care.
>
>When it comes to flavor, the tomato industry is broken. And not even
>the Garden Gem appears able to fix it.
>
>Full story at
>
>http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...ermarkets.html

For full description of this tomato and another, similar effort by the
university, see below.

I grow at least a dozen varieties of tomato each year, neither of
these would make it onto my list. But I am not a grocery store.

To me, these tomatoes offer benefits of improved flavor and texture
over supermarket offerings, but they lack a lot when compared to
decent backyard varieties.

http://hos.ufl.edu/kleeweb/newcultivars.html

The Garden Gem:

This cultivar produces massive numbers of delicious oval fruits that
average 2-2.5 ounces. Taste panels rated it statistically identical to
its heirloom parent with twice the yield. It is an early producer,
giving ripe fruits about 60-65 days after transplanting. Its size
makes it perfect for salads or just popping in your mouth. And it
really shines in marinara. The personal chef for the University of
Florida, Dean Cacciatore, produced a sauce that blew away high-end $9
a jar commercial sauces in a consumer preference panel. This is truly
a versatile tomato

The Garden Treasu

This cultivar is the result of a cross between a very large, great
tasting Brandywine-type tomato with soft, extremely short shelf life
fruits and very poor yields. Garden Treasure produces a large (about
8-9 ounces), round fruit with vastly better yields, increased firmness
and great taste. The increased firmness actually improves consumer
liking because the heirloom is very soft. Garden Treasure was rated at
the top of our large-fruited cultivars. It is indeterminate, meaning
it will produce the first ripe fruit at about 70-75 days after
transplant and provide an extended harvest period as long as weather
permits
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/16/2015 10:34 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 09:47:23 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
> wrote:
>
>> Tomato lovers, rejoice, for science has achieved the impossible: the
>> perfect supermarket tomato. The Garden Gem won't bruise during
>> shipping, it resists many of the major diseases that regularly
>> decimate tomato crops, and it is a flesh-producing powerhouse, turning
>> out up to 22 pounds of tomatoes per plant, which is as productive as
>> the best modern cultivars.
>>
>> But there is one aspect in which the Garden Gem is very different from
>> every other supermarket tomato: flavor. It actually has it. Lots. More
>> than 500 sensory panelists at the University of Florida have declared
>> it among the very best tomatoes they have tested.
>>
>> Tomato lovers, stop rejoicing. Because you will not find the perfect
>> supermarket tomato in any supermarket. Not now, and perhaps not ever.
>> It's not because the Garden Gem is a genetically modified organism—it
>> was bred the same way tomatoes have been bred for thousands of years.
>> It's not because some multinational owns the patent and won’t release
>> it in the U.S. (which, unfortunately, is the case with a superb
>> British potato called the Mayan Gold). It's because Big Tomato doesn't
>> care about flavor. Tomato farmers don't care. Tomato packers don't
>> care. And supermarkets don't care.
>>
>> When it comes to flavor, the tomato industry is broken. And not even
>> the Garden Gem appears able to fix it.
>>
>> Full story at
>>
>> http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...ermarkets.html

> If you had read the full story you would have seen that seed/plant
> growers rejected the tomato because of its size - it would have raised
> harvest costs.

If you had any reading comprehension, you'd have seen that argument
was refuted. Salad and cherry tomatoes are routinely grown and sold
with no quibbling over harvest costs.

> Really, that is all the article says about this tomato. The complaints
> about grocery stores were about grapes, and illogical and
> unsubstantiated. The complaints about kiwis and growers were
> unsubstantiated by anything factual.

You do have a reading comprehension problem, don't you?

> Come back with some hard facts and get over the fact that Slate is a
> click-bait web site manned by bloggers who don't know a whole helluva
> lot more than reeling in clicks.

Sorry dude, I worked in the seed business for a number of years.
Everything mentioned in the article aligns with my knowledge of and
experience in the business - with one exception: if the large-scale
producers won't grow it, the obvious strategy is to approach market
and home gardeners, and create the demand there. Many supermarkets
contract with local market gardeners, who'd be utterly thrilled to
have something unique to grow and sell in partnership with the
supermarkets (at least until demand took off and spread nationally
after the biggest players notice).

I was personally involved in the local launch and promotion of two new
vegetable cultivars years ago. I contracted with local growers to
provide the plants and the produce to the local markets, and they both
(Big Bertha bell pepper and Sweetie sweet corn) became big hits. All
it took was bypassing the big guys until demand made it worth their
while to grow it and sell it themselves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 10:52:59 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
wrote:

>On 7/16/2015 10:34 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 09:47:23 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Tomato lovers, rejoice, for science has achieved the impossible: the
>>> perfect supermarket tomato. The Garden Gem won't bruise during
>>> shipping, it resists many of the major diseases that regularly
>>> decimate tomato crops, and it is a flesh-producing powerhouse, turning
>>> out up to 22 pounds of tomatoes per plant, which is as productive as
>>> the best modern cultivars.
>>>
>>> But there is one aspect in which the Garden Gem is very different from
>>> every other supermarket tomato: flavor. It actually has it. Lots. More
>>> than 500 sensory panelists at the University of Florida have declared
>>> it among the very best tomatoes they have tested.
>>>
>>> Tomato lovers, stop rejoicing. Because you will not find the perfect
>>> supermarket tomato in any supermarket. Not now, and perhaps not ever.
>>> It's not because the Garden Gem is a genetically modified organism—it
>>> was bred the same way tomatoes have been bred for thousands of years.
>>> It's not because some multinational owns the patent and won’t release
>>> it in the U.S. (which, unfortunately, is the case with a superb
>>> British potato called the Mayan Gold). It's because Big Tomato doesn't
>>> care about flavor. Tomato farmers don't care. Tomato packers don't
>>> care. And supermarkets don't care.
>>>
>>> When it comes to flavor, the tomato industry is broken. And not even
>>> the Garden Gem appears able to fix it.
>>>
>>> Full story at
>>>
>>> http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...ermarkets.html

>> If you had read the full story you would have seen that seed/plant
>> growers rejected the tomato because of its size - it would have raised
>> harvest costs.

>If you had any reading comprehension, you'd have seen that argument
>was refuted. Salad and cherry tomatoes are routinely grown and sold
>with no quibbling over harvest costs.

It isn't that the argument was refuted...it is that it was OFFERED to
be a primary reason. Period. And just because cherries are picked,
doesn't mean that a larger tomato with a slower picking frame makes
sense. Strawberries get picked too. So do blackberries. This is not in
competition with them.

>> Really, that is all the article says about this tomato. The complaints
>> about grocery stores were about grapes, and illogical and
>> unsubstantiated. The complaints about kiwis and growers were
>> unsubstantiated by anything factual.

>You do have a reading comprehension problem, don't you?

No, but you do not seem to be familiar with Schatzker's writings and
its criticisms.

>> Come back with some hard facts and get over the fact that Slate is a
>> click-bait web site manned by bloggers who don't know a whole helluva
>> lot more than reeling in clicks.
>>

>Sorry dude, I worked in the seed business for a number of years.
>Everything mentioned in the article aligns with my knowledge of and
>experience in the business - with one exception: if the large-scale
>producers won't grow it, the obvious strategy is to approach market
>and home gardeners, and create the demand there. Many supermarkets
>contract with local market gardeners, who'd be utterly thrilled to
>have something unique to grow and sell in partnership with the
>supermarkets (at least until demand took off and spread nationally
>after the biggest players notice).

Small growers can hope to contract to restaurants and specialty
markets or small suppliers. Larger markets contract with locals, too,
- Costco does this a lot - but not for the delicate or unusual stuff.

>I was personally involved in the local launch and promotion of two new
>vegetable cultivars years ago. I contracted with local growers to
>provide the plants and the produce to the local markets, and they both
>(Big Bertha bell pepper and Sweetie sweet corn) became big hits.

In home gardening.The peppers are not being carried by larger, mass
markets as harvested products. Sorry.

Sweetie 82? Lot of sweet-enhanced corn varieties out there. Dime a
dozen these days.

Now, lets get back to the story at hand, not your stuff....new
cultivars and varieties are introduced all the time to both home and
commercial growers. So what? Some make it, some not. So what? The
point this article was trying to make was that the little guy couldn't
break into the markets with their better mousetrap because the Big
Guys somehow blocked it. Welcome to capitalism. There is no story
here. None

>All it took was bypassing the big guys until demand made it worth their
>while to grow it and sell it themselves.

So if *any* product gets to market that validates Schatzker's claims
about the tomato? I dun thin so, Lucy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 10:52:59 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
wrote:

snip

>> If you had read the full story you would have seen that seed/plant
>> growers rejected the tomato because of its size - it would have raised
>> harvest costs.

>If you had any reading comprehension, you'd have seen that argument
>was refuted. Salad and cherry tomatoes are routinely grown and sold
>with no quibbling over harvest costs.

IMO, those two types of tomatoes are viewed as being special, not
quite a luxury item but somewhere in the same vein. Just like the
tiny mixed color potatoes are regarded. They elevate the cook and the
meal the cook prepared and therefore are worth the extra cost. In
fact, the extra cost confirms that the potatoes/tomatoes are something
special.
I don't know, can the fresh tomato industry afford to dilute the
market with another style tomato?
Also, times are tough right now. Prices are going up, consumers are
complaining, there are water shortages. Many of the big industrial
growers have their glass-house farms located in the West.
I think there are more issues other than growers looking at labor
costs.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> If you had any reading comprehension, you'd have seen that argument
> was refuted. Salad and cherry tomatoes are routinely grown and sold
> with no quibbling over harvest costs.

I read recently about a tiny tomato I think they called "current"
because of the size. Haven't seen it in stores or farmer's market yet
so I guess it's one of those specialty items custom ordered grown by
restaurants.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 11:41:35 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

> To me, these tomatoes offer benefits of improved flavor and texture
> over supermarket offerings, but they lack a lot when compared to
> decent backyard varieties.

I don't grow tomatoes at home, so I like decent grocery store
tomatoes.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 11:41:54 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 10:52:59 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
>wrote:
>
>> If you had any reading comprehension, you'd have seen that argument
>> was refuted. Salad and cherry tomatoes are routinely grown and sold
>> with no quibbling over harvest costs.

>I read recently about a tiny tomato I think they called "current"
>because of the size. Haven't seen it in stores or farmer's market yet
>so I guess it's one of those specialty items custom ordered grown by
>restaurants.

I've seen it in seed catalogs. I can't think of a reason why I would
need it. It seems more like a fou-fou chef thing.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 12:53:27 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 11:41:54 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 10:52:59 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
>>wrote:
>>
>>> If you had any reading comprehension, you'd have seen that argument
>>> was refuted. Salad and cherry tomatoes are routinely grown and sold
>>> with no quibbling over harvest costs.

>>I read recently about a tiny tomato I think they called "current"
>>because of the size. Haven't seen it in stores or farmer's market yet
>>so I guess it's one of those specialty items custom ordered grown by
>>restaurants.

>I've seen it in seed catalogs. I can't think of a reason why I would
>need it. It seems more like a fou-fou chef thing.
>Janet US

There are a lot of new cultivars that come out each year. We only hear
of the small number of them that take off for some reason - luck,
marketing, appeal and coincidence. Even what seems to be the best of
them do not necessarily succeed in market or in marketability.

Kevin Folta, than man involved through the University of Florida (his
CV only is below) did not even provide field evidence that this
particular tomato, Garden Gem, would be successful in areas other than
Florida. He sort of glossed over it on his blog, saying that if
something grows in Florida, it'll grow anywhere. Cute, but not
anything to bet on.

http://www.hos.ufl.edu/faculty/kmfolta
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 1:53:50 PM UTC-5, Janet B wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 11:41:54 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 10:52:59 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> If you had any reading comprehension, you'd have seen that argument
> >> was refuted. Salad and cherry tomatoes are routinely grown and sold
> >> with no quibbling over harvest costs.

> >I read recently about a tiny tomato I think they called "current"
> >because of the size. Haven't seen it in stores or farmer's market yet
> >so I guess it's one of those specialty items custom ordered grown by
> >restaurants.

> I've seen it in seed catalogs. I can't think of a reason why I would
> need it. It seems more like a fou-fou chef thing.

It's "currant," not "current." They are very small, and very high acid. I
used to grow them, but quit doing so because I like to save seeds/grow
volunteers, and currant tomatoes are aggressive pollinators.

> Janet US

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 14:16:58 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 1:53:50 PM UTC-5, Janet B wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 11:41:54 -0700, sf > wrote:

>> >I read recently about a tiny tomato I think they called "current"
>> >because of the size. Haven't seen it in stores or farmer's market yet
>> >so I guess it's one of those specialty items custom ordered grown by
>> >restaurants.

>> I've seen it in seed catalogs. I can't think of a reason why I would
>> need it. It seems more like a fou-fou chef thing.
>>

>It's "currant," not "current." They are very small, and very high acid. I
>used to grow them, but quit doing so because I like to save seeds/grow
>volunteers, and currant tomatoes are aggressive pollinators.
>
>> Janet US

>--Bryan

Thank you for correcting that. It was a mere slip of the brain.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/16/2015 5:27 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> So there should be room for another premium tomato,

NO ONE CARES!

....dump!

____.-.____
[__Sqwerty__]
[___Marty___]
(d|||TROLL|||b)
`|||TRASH|||`
`"""""""""'
\\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~//

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/16/2015 5:35 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> So location
> isn't that important -

NO ONE CARES!

....dump!

____.-.____
[__Sqwerty__]
[___Marty___]
(d|||TROLL|||b)
`|||TRASH|||`
`"""""""""'
\\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~//

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/17/2015 9:38 AM, Troll Disposal Service wrote:
> On 7/16/2015 5:27 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> So there should be room for another premium tomato,

> NO ONE CARES!
>
> ...dump!
>
> ____.-.____
> [__Sqwerty__]
> [___Marty___]
> (d|||TROLL|||b)
> `|||TRASH|||`
> `"""""""""'
> \\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~//

Barbara Llorente FRAUD!

No one cares about you.

Get OUT!

_,..._
/__ \
>< `. \

/_ \ |
\-_ /:|
,--'..'. :
,' `.
_,' \
_.._,--'' , |
, ,',, _| _,.'| | |
\\||/,'(,' '--'' | | |
_ ||| | /-' |
| | (- -)<`._ | / /
| | \_\O/_/`-.(<< |____/ /
| | / \ / -'| `--.'|
| | \___/ / /
| | H H / | |
|_|_..-H-H--.._ / ,| |
|-.._"_"__..-| | _-/ | |
| | | | \_ |
Barbara Llorente | | | | |
| The | |____| | |
|Troll Enabler | _..' | |____|
jrei | |_(____..._' _.' |
`-..______..-'"" (___..--'
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 9:58:50 AM UTC-7, Janet B wrote:

> IMO, those two types of tomatoes are viewed as being special, not
> quite a luxury item but somewhere in the same vein. Just like the
> tiny mixed color potatoes are regarded. They elevate the cook and the
> meal the cook prepared and therefore are worth the extra cost. In
> fact, the extra cost confirms that the potatoes/tomatoes are something
> special.
> I don't know, can the fresh tomato industry afford to dilute the
> market with another style tomato?
> Also, times are tough right now. Prices are going up, consumers are
> complaining, there are water shortages. Many of the big industrial
> growers have their glass-house farms located in the West.
> I think there are more issues other than growers looking at labor
> costs.

My wife brought home some very heirloomy-looking striped tomatoes from
the farmers' market lately.
They had less taste that the Campari hothouse tomatoes from AZ.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 11:41:54 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 10:52:59 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> If you had any reading comprehension, you'd have seen that argument
> >> was refuted. Salad and cherry tomatoes are routinely grown and sold
> >> with no quibbling over harvest costs.

> >I read recently about a tiny tomato I think they called "current"
> >because of the size. Haven't seen it in stores or farmer's market yet
> >so I guess it's one of those specialty items custom ordered grown by
> >restaurants.

> I've seen it in seed catalogs. I can't think of a reason why I would
> need it. It seems more like a fou-fou chef thing.

If I remember correctly, it was a fancy lettuce green salad -
definitely the kind of starter salad they'd charge $8-10 for... and
then you eat the entree.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 14:16:58 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

> It's "currant," not "current." They are very small, and very high acid.

When I saw the post I realized my spelling mistake, but there are no
backsies in Usenet like there is in Facebook.

> I used to grow them, but quit doing so because I like to save seeds/grow
> volunteers, and currant tomatoes are aggressive pollinators.

Son has gotten some interesting volunteers from his compost heap. One
year, they grew a pumpkin big enough to carve for Halloween.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Tomato lovers, rejoice, for science has achieved the impossible: the
>perfect supermarket tomato. The Garden Gem won't bruise during
>shipping, it resists many of the major diseases that regularly
>decimate tomato crops, and it is a flesh-producing powerhouse, turning
>out up to 22 pounds of tomatoes per plant, which is as productive as
>the best modern cultivars.
>
>But there is one aspect in which the Garden Gem is very different from
>every other supermarket tomato: flavor. It actually has it. Lots. More
>than 500 sensory panelists at the University of Florida have declared
>it among the very best tomatoes they have tested.
>
>Tomato lovers, stop rejoicing. Because you will not find the perfect
>supermarket tomato in any supermarket. Not now, and perhaps not ever.
>It's not because the Garden Gem is a genetically modified organism—it
>was bred the same way tomatoes have been bred for thousands of years.
>It's not because some multinational owns the patent and won’t release
>it in the U.S. (which, unfortunately, is the case with a superb
>British potato called the Mayan Gold). It's because Big Tomato doesn't
>care about flavor. Tomato farmers don't care. Tomato packers don't
>care. And supermarkets don't care.
>
>When it comes to flavor, the tomato industry is broken. And not even
>the Garden Gem appears able to fix it.
>
>Full story at
>
>http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...ermarkets.html

as a follow up to Moe's post, the following is a link to the
University of Florida's Horticulture Department where for a donation
of ten dollars, they will send you some Garden Gem Tomato seeds. I
crave a "tasteful" tomato so much that I intend to grow them in pots
right on my deck.

http://hos.ufl.edu/kleeweb/newcultivars.html

William
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 10:27:08 -0400, William > wrote:

>yields commercial
>>growers want

I think there is a mix of customers entering grocery produce
departments around the country. You have people who think Tomatoes are
simply fillers for their salads and they are not supposed to "taste",
sorta like iceburg lettuce. Then you have people who are looking for
tomatoes that have flavor like the various Sunset tomatoes.

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-07-17, William > wrote:

> I think there is a mix of customers entering grocery produce
> departments around the country. You have people who think Tomatoes are
> simply fillers for their salads and they are not supposed to "taste",
> sorta like iceburg lettuce. Then you have people who are looking for
> tomatoes that have flavor like the various Sunset tomatoes.

We received a flat of homegrown tomatoes from a distant relative who
lived on a farm. They were so insanely flavorful, we ate them
straight, like an apple. A tomato sammy (tomato, mayo, lettuce) was
the only concession. That was about 25 yrs ago and I've yet to taste
anything even remotely close, since then.

When I buy tomatoes from the store, it's pretty much like William
sez. Filler.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/17/2015 12:13 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 18:46:03 -0700 (PDT),
> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 9:58:50 AM UTC-7, Janet B wrote:
>>
>>> IMO, those two types of tomatoes are viewed as being special,
>>> not quite a luxury item but somewhere in the same vein. Just
>>> like the tiny mixed color potatoes are regarded. They elevate
>>> the cook and the meal the cook prepared and therefore are worth
>>> the extra cost.

Sitting recently on his brick back patio here, Michael Schiavo called
Jeb Bush a vindictive, untrustworthy coward.

For years, the self-described “average Joe” felt harassed, targeted and
tormented by the most important person in the state.

“It was a living hell,” he said, “and I blame him.”

Michael Schiavo was the husband of Terri Schiavo, the brain-dead woman
from the Tampa Bay area who ended up at the center of one of the most
contentious, drawn-out conflicts in the history of America’s culture
wars. The fight over her death lasted almost a decade. It started as a
private legal back-and-forth between her husband and her parents. Before
it ended, it moved from circuit courts to district courts to state
courts to federal courts, to the U.S. Supreme Court, from the state
legislature in Tallahassee to Congress in Washington. The president got
involved. So did the pope.

But it never would have become what it became if not for the dogged
intervention of the governor of Florida at the time, the second son of
the 41st president, the younger brother of the 43rd, the man who sits
near the top of the extended early list of likely 2016 Republican
presidential candidates.

On sustained, concentrated display, seen in thousands of pages of court
records and hundreds of emails he sent, was Jeb the converted Catholic,
Jeb the pro-life conservative, Jeb the hands-on workaholic, Jeb the
all-hours emailer—confident, competitive, powerful, obstinate Jeb.
Longtime watchers of John Ellis Bush say what he did throughout the
Terri Schiavo case demonstrates how he would operate in the Oval Office.
They say it’s the Jebbest thing Jeb’s ever done.

The case showed he “will pursue whatever he thinks is right, virtually
forever,” said Aubrey Jewett, a political science professor at the
University of Central Florida. “It’s a theme of Jeb’s governorship: He
really pushed executive power to the limits.”

“If you want to understand Jeb Bush, he’s guided by principle over
convenience,” said Dennis Baxley, a Republican member of the Florida
House of Representatives during Bush’s governorship and still. “He may
be wrong about something, but he knows what he believes.”

And what he believed in this case, and what he did, said Miami’s Dan
Gelber, a Democratic member of the state House during Bush’s
governorship, “probably was more defining than I suspect Jeb would like.”

For Michael Schiavo, though, the importance of the episode—Bush’s
involvement from 2003 to 2005, and what it might mean now for his almost
certain candidacy—is even more viscerally obvious.

“He should be ashamed,” he said. “And I think people really need to know
what type of person he is. To bring as much pain as he did, to me and my
family, that should be an issue.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/17/2015 1:50 PM, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> On 7/17/2015 12:13 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 18:46:03 -0700 (PDT),
>> wrote:

> Sitting recently

BODINE FRAUD!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The University of Florida e-mailed me this afternoon to advise my
seeds are in the mail. I will germinate them, get them growing in egg
cartons and transplant them to pots. I will advise everyone whenever I
get tomatoes.

William
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 05:50:20 +1000, Acme Bully Control
> wrote:

>On 7/17/2015 12:13 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 18:46:03 -0700 (PDT),
>> wrote:

>Sitting recently on his brick back patio here, Michael Schiavo called
>Jeb Bush a vindictive, untrustworthy coward.
>
>For years, the self-described “average Joe” felt harassed, targeted and
>tormented by the most important person in the state.
>
>“It was a living hell,” he said, “and I blame him.”
>
>Michael Schiavo was the husband of Terri Schiavo, the brain-dead woman
>from the Tampa Bay area who ended up at the center of one of the most
>contentious, drawn-out conflicts in the history of America’s culture
>wars. The fight over her death lasted almost a decade. It started as a
>private legal back-and-forth between her husband and her parents. Before
>it ended, it moved from circuit courts to district courts to state
>courts to federal courts, to the U.S. Supreme Court, from the state
>legislature in Tallahassee to Congress in Washington. The president got
>involved. So did the pope.
>
>But it never would have become what it became if not for the dogged
>intervention of the governor of Florida at the time, the second son of
>the 41st president, the younger brother of the 43rd, the man who sits
>near the top of the extended early list of likely 2016 Republican
>presidential candidates.
>
>On sustained, concentrated display, seen in thousands of pages of court
>records and hundreds of emails he sent, was Jeb the converted Catholic,
>Jeb the pro-life conservative, Jeb the hands-on workaholic, Jeb the
>all-hours emailer—confident, competitive, powerful, obstinate Jeb.
>Longtime watchers of John Ellis Bush say what he did throughout the
>Terri Schiavo case demonstrates how he would operate in the Oval Office.
>They say it’s the Jebbest thing Jeb’s ever done.
>
>The case showed he “will pursue whatever he thinks is right, virtually
>forever,” said Aubrey Jewett, a political science professor at the
>University of Central Florida. “It’s a theme of Jeb’s governorship: He
>really pushed executive power to the limits.”
>
>“If you want to understand Jeb Bush, he’s guided by principle over
>convenience,” said Dennis Baxley, a Republican member of the Florida
>House of Representatives during Bush’s governorship and still. “He may
>be wrong about something, but he knows what he believes.”
>
>And what he believed in this case, and what he did, said Miami’s Dan
>Gelber, a Democratic member of the state House during Bush’s
>governorship, “probably was more defining than I suspect Jeb would like.”
>
>For Michael Schiavo, though, the importance of the episode—Bush’s
>involvement from 2003 to 2005, and what it might mean now for his almost
>certain candidacy—is even more viscerally obvious.
>
>“He should be ashamed,” he said. “And I think people really need to know
>what type of person he is. To bring as much pain as he did, to me and my
>family, that should be an issue.”

and the point is....a lot of low information citizens will side with
and vote for Democrats or Republicans never mind that neither party
gives a shit about doing anything other than receiving cash payments
in their mailboxes from Lobbiests pushing their Corporate or Union
agendas...No Term Limits Ever...the Politicians just keep collecting
the money and doing nothing for a lifetime job with lifetime benefits.
Thank God we can still see a few of the most greedy *******s being
prosecuted and placed in the Federal Country Club prison system.

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/18/2015 10:33 AM, William wrote:
> Thank God we can still see a few of the most greedy *******s being
> prosecuted and placed in the Federal Country Club prison system.
>
> William

By whom and for what reasons?

Don't buy the BULLSHIT!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hello Foodies,

Who is coming on the Culinary Tour of Italy in October to cook with me, Masterchef 6 Contestant Jonathan Scinto and with other famous Chefs from each region we visit in Italy?

CALL NOW ....914-797-2247 to BOOK the Tour & more info!
(limited to 100 guests)

Don't wait, the deadline to get your $400 deposit in is August 18th.

Can't wait to meet and cook with you

Molto Grazie!

Follow me:
https://www.facebook.com/ChefJonathanS
https://twitter.com/ChefJonathanS
www.chefjonathans.com

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...pslyscduuo.jpg

Refuse Tea Christa[_2_] Tea 1 20-12-2009 07:38 PM
An offer I couldn't refuse Felice General Cooking 30 15-08-2009 02:18 AM
UK Supermarkets [email protected] Marketplace 2 17-02-2005 12:03 AM
UK Supermarkets EmmaG Marketplace 0 29-01-2005 10:41 AM
The perfect foil creates the perfect setup again! Jay Santos Vegan 860 27-01-2005 09:32 PM