Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I made two batches of Majical Garlic Potatoes

I'm going on an annual family float trip this weekend called the River
Rat Ramble and a friend of mine has a camp stove oven!! I made one
batch two years ago, and we ran out!! That's not gonna happen again
this year. I'm trying something new this year, making up the
potatoes/garlic/cream mix ahead of time, refrigerate it in ZipLok
bags, take it to the campsite, pour into bakinv pans and grater the
Gruyere chesse on and bake. Never made it this way before, usually do
it all in one smooth conmtiguous way.

It's a recipe from a local restaurant that I got in a newsletter years
ago. I'll give you my slightly modified version:

5 lbs potatoes

4 cups 40% cream

2 heads of fresh garlic (not the stuff in jars!)

1 tsp salt

1 tsp white pepper (black pepper works too, but makes black specks in
the sauce!)

Gruyere swiss cheese

Peel (optional I suppose) and slice up the potatoes into chunk slices
about 1/4 inch thick. Peel and mince the garlic, and I pare that
little green plant out of the middle of each clove (A PITA, but it's
kinda fun too!)

In a large pot, put the potato pieces, the cream, the garlic and the
salt and pepper and bring to a gentle boil for about 10-15 mins. Thin
with a little milk to make it easy to stir.

Then pour into a shallow baking pan like a lasagna pan, and grate
Gruyere cheese on top. Bake at 350F for 40 mins or into until the
Gruyere gets light golden brown.

Let sit for 30 mins after baking, and enjoy!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/25/2015 8:11 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> I'm going on an annual family float trip this weekend called the River
> Rat Ramble and a friend of mine has a camp stove oven!! I made one
> batch two years ago, and we ran out!! That's not gonna happen again
> this year. I'm trying something new this year, making up the
> potatoes/garlic/cream mix ahead of time, refrigerate it in ZipLok
> bags, take it to the campsite, pour into bakinv pans and grater the
> Gruyere chesse on and bake. Never made it this way before, usually do
> it all in one smooth conmtiguous way.
>
> It's a recipe from a local restaurant that I got in a newsletter years
> ago. I'll give you my slightly modified version:
>
> 5 lbs potatoes
>
> 4 cups 40% cream
>
> 2 heads of fresh garlic (not the stuff in jars!)
>
> 1 tsp salt
>
> 1 tsp white pepper (black pepper works too, but makes black specks in
> the sauce!)
>
> Gruyere swiss cheese
>

> Peel (optional I suppose) and slice up the potatoes into chunk slices
> about 1/4 inch thick. Peel and mince the garlic, and I pare that
> little green plant out of the middle of each clove (A PITA, but it's
> kinda fun too!)
>
> In a large pot, put the potato pieces, the cream, the garlic and the
> salt and pepper and bring to a gentle boil for about 10-15 mins. Thin
> with a little milk to make it easy to stir.
>
> Then pour into a shallow baking pan like a lasagna pan, and grate
> Gruyere cheese on top. Bake at 350F for 40 mins or into until the
> Gruyere gets light golden brown.
>
> Let sit for 30 mins after baking, and enjoy!
>

> John Kuthe...

Just as good as the last time you posted it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 21:11:31 -0500, John Kuthe >
wrote:

>I'm going on an annual family float trip this weekend called the River
>Rat Ramble and a friend of mine has a camp stove oven!! I made one
>batch two years ago, and we ran out!! That's not gonna happen again
>this year. I'm trying something new this year, making up the
>potatoes/garlic/cream mix ahead of time, refrigerate it in ZipLok
>bags, take it to the campsite, pour into bakinv pans and grater the
>Gruyere chesse on and bake. Never made it this way before, usually do
>it all in one smooth conmtiguous way.
>
>It's a recipe from a local restaurant that I got in a newsletter years
>ago. I'll give you my slightly modified version:
>
>5 lbs potatoes
>
>4 cups 40% cream
>
>2 heads of fresh garlic (not the stuff in jars!)
>
>1 tsp salt
>
>1 tsp white pepper (black pepper works too, but makes black specks in
>the sauce!)
>
>Gruyere swiss cheese
>

>Peel (optional I suppose) and slice up the potatoes into chunk slices
>about 1/4 inch thick. Peel and mince the garlic, and I pare that
>little green plant out of the middle of each clove (A PITA, but it's
>kinda fun too!)
>
>In a large pot, put the potato pieces, the cream, the garlic and the
>salt and pepper and bring to a gentle boil for about 10-15 mins. Thin
>with a little milk to make it easy to stir.
>
>Then pour into a shallow baking pan like a lasagna pan, and grate
>Gruyere cheese on top. Bake at 350F for 40 mins or into until the
>Gruyere gets light golden brown.
>
>Let sit for 30 mins after baking, and enjoy!

Thanks John, I'm going to try this. Something like this is what I'm in
the mood for right now... I need some Gruyere though. I have to go
back into town again this evening anyway, I'll pick some Gruyere up
then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 12:43:52 +1000, Jeßus

>Thanks John, I'm going to try this. Something like this is what I'm in
>the mood for right now... I need some Gruyere though. I have to go
>back into town again this evening anyway, I'll pick some Gruyere up

Yeah, it's funny, the original newsletter from Riddle's Penultimate
restaurant said somehitng about the original French recipe called for
Gruyere, but the chef at Riddle's, Andy Ayres, said he felt it was
"gilding the lilly" so his recipe eliminated it!

I'm a big fan of gilding lillies, so I readded it to MY recipe! And
its fantastic!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 22:29:31 -0500, John Kuthe >
wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 12:43:52 +1000, Jeßus

>>Thanks John, I'm going to try this. Something like this is what I'm in
>>the mood for right now... I need some Gruyere though. I have to go
>>back into town again this evening anyway, I'll pick some Gruyere up
>>

>Yeah, it's funny, the original newsletter from Riddle's Penultimate
>restaurant said somehitng about the original French recipe called for
>Gruyere, but the chef at Riddle's, Andy Ayres, said he felt it was
>"gilding the lilly" so his recipe eliminated it!
>
>I'm a big fan of gilding lillies, so I readded it to MY recipe! And
>its fantastic!

I'd definitely reinstate the Gruyere. I don't use it very often, but
when I do... it's the only choice, IMO.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/25/2015 9:28 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I'll take mine with onion gravy.
>
> -sw

Up yer garlic arse!

You woman-hater!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 22:28:26 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 21:11:31 -0500, John Kuthe wrote:
>
>> I'm going on an annual family float trip this weekend called the River
>> Rat Ramble and a friend of mine has a camp stove oven!!

>And nothings says hot summer 'River Rat Ramble' better than garlic
>mashed potatoes! I'll take mine with onion gravy.
>
>-sw

Weather's cooling off a bit! Not supposed to get more than about
80-85F.

Believe me, you don't need anything on Majical Garlic Potatoes!! Not
that onion gravy would be bad, but...

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I'm going on an annual family float trip this weekend called the River
>Rat Ramble and a friend of mine has a camp stove oven!! I made one
>batch two years ago, and we ran out!! That's not gonna happen again
>this year. I'm trying something new this year, making up the
>potatoes/garlic/cream mix ahead of time, refrigerate it in ZipLok
>bags, take it to the campsite, pour into bakinv pans and grater the
>Gruyere chesse on and bake. Never made it this way before, usually do
>it all in one smooth conmtiguous way.
>
>It's a recipe from a local restaurant that I got in a newsletter years
>ago. I'll give you my slightly modified version:
>
>5 lbs potatoes
>
>4 cups 40% cream
>
>2 heads of fresh garlic (not the stuff in jars!)
>
>1 tsp salt
>
>1 tsp white pepper (black pepper works too, but makes black specks in
>the sauce!)
>
>Gruyere swiss cheese
>

>Peel (optional I suppose) and slice up the potatoes into chunk slices
>about 1/4 inch thick. Peel and mince the garlic, and I pare that
>little green plant out of the middle of each clove (A PITA, but it's
>kinda fun too!)
>
>In a large pot, put the potato pieces, the cream, the garlic and the
>salt and pepper and bring to a gentle boil for about 10-15 mins. Thin
>with a little milk to make it easy to stir.
>
>Then pour into a shallow baking pan like a lasagna pan, and grate
>Gruyere cheese on top. Bake at 350F for 40 mins or into until the
>Gruyere gets light golden brown.
>
>Let sit for 30 mins after baking, and enjoy!
>

>John Kuthe...

Thanks for posting John! I will try this recipe for sure!

William
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I'm going on an annual family float trip this weekend called the River
> Rat Ramble and a friend of mine has a camp stove oven!! I made one
> batch two years ago, and we ran out!! That's not gonna happen again
> this year. I'm trying something new this year, making up the
> potatoes/garlic/cream mix ahead of time, refrigerate it in ZipLok
> bags, take it to the campsite, pour into bakinv pans and grater the
> Gruyere chesse on and bake. Never made it this way before, usually do
> it all in one smooth conmtiguous way.
>
> It's a recipe from a local restaurant that I got in a newsletter years
> ago. I'll give you my slightly modified version:
>
> 5 lbs potatoes
>
> 4 cups 40% cream
>
> 2 heads of fresh garlic (not the stuff in jars!)
>
> 1 tsp salt
>
> 1 tsp white pepper (black pepper works too, but makes black specks in
> the sauce!)
>
> Gruyere swiss cheese
>

> Peel (optional I suppose) and slice up the potatoes into chunk slices
> about 1/4 inch thick. Peel and mince the garlic, and I pare that
> little green plant out of the middle of each clove (A PITA, but it's
> kinda fun too!)
>
> In a large pot, put the potato pieces, the cream, the garlic and the
> salt and pepper and bring to a gentle boil for about 10-15 mins. Thin
> with a little milk to make it easy to stir.
>
> Then pour into a shallow baking pan like a lasagna pan, and grate
> Gruyere cheese on top. Bake at 350F for 40 mins or into until the
> Gruyere gets light golden brown.
>
> Let sit for 30 mins after baking, and enjoy!
>

> John Kuthe...

Looks good John. I'm thinking it would also be good with a mix of
cheeses. Gruyere base, then add some muenster and a sprinkle of feta.
Blue cheese fans could use that in place of the feta.

Think it would work? I might also throw some black olives in (at the
baking phase).

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 12:56:31 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>John Kuthe wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> I'm going on an annual family float trip this weekend called the River
>> Rat Ramble and a friend of mine has a camp stove oven!! I made one
>> batch two years ago, and we ran out!! That's not gonna happen again
>> this year. I'm trying something new this year, making up the
>> potatoes/garlic/cream mix ahead of time, refrigerate it in ZipLok
>> bags, take it to the campsite, pour into bakinv pans and grater the
>> Gruyere chesse on and bake. Never made it this way before, usually do
>> it all in one smooth conmtiguous way.
>>
>> It's a recipe from a local restaurant that I got in a newsletter years
>> ago. I'll give you my slightly modified version:
>>
>> 5 lbs potatoes
>>
>> 4 cups 40% cream
>>
>> 2 heads of fresh garlic (not the stuff in jars!)
>>
>> 1 tsp salt
>>
>> 1 tsp white pepper (black pepper works too, but makes black specks in
>> the sauce!)
>>
>> Gruyere swiss cheese
>>

>> Peel (optional I suppose) and slice up the potatoes into chunk slices
>> about 1/4 inch thick. Peel and mince the garlic, and I pare that
>> little green plant out of the middle of each clove (A PITA, but it's
>> kinda fun too!)
>>
>> In a large pot, put the potato pieces, the cream, the garlic and the
>> salt and pepper and bring to a gentle boil for about 10-15 mins. Thin
>> with a little milk to make it easy to stir.
>>
>> Then pour into a shallow baking pan like a lasagna pan, and grate
>> Gruyere cheese on top. Bake at 350F for 40 mins or into until the
>> Gruyere gets light golden brown.
>>
>> Let sit for 30 mins after baking, and enjoy!
>>

>> John Kuthe...

>Looks good John. I'm thinking it would also be good with a mix of
>cheeses. Gruyere base, then add some muenster and a sprinkle of feta.
>Blue cheese fans could use that in place of the feta.
>
>Think it would work? I might also throw some black olives in (at the
>baking phase).
>
> Carol

It would be good wiuth any blwend of most chewses, but the original
recipie calls for Grurere swiss, whuich is a very excellent and
flavorful swiss. I actually forgot the very good Gruyere I'd bought in
STL for my float trip and had to stop at a grocers on the way and pick
up some cheap usual generic swiss brand on my way down to the camping
site this weelemnd, and it was fine!

Yes you could make an endless varieties of variations too, but try the
basic recipe first, and you may not ever want to vary it! My main
modifiocations to the original as I got it was ingrrasing the amouint
of garlic oin itrand using all pure 40% cream, with just a little shot
of whole milk to thin it a little for stirring in the initial cook
(bring to a simmer for 15mins of so in a pot before pouring it into a
baking pan.)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 28, 2015 at 5:57:17 PM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 12:56:31 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >John Kuthe wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> >> I'm going on an annual family float trip this weekend called the River
> >> Rat Ramble and a friend of mine has a camp stove oven!! I made one
> >> batch two years ago, and we ran out!! That's not gonna happen again
> >> this year. I'm trying something new this year, making up the
> >> potatoes/garlic/cream mix ahead of time, refrigerate it in ZipLok
> >> bags, take it to the campsite, pour into bakinv pans and grater the
> >> Gruyere chesse on and bake. Never made it this way before, usually do
> >> it all in one smooth conmtiguous way.
> >>
> >> It's a recipe from a local restaurant that I got in a newsletter years
> >> ago. I'll give you my slightly modified version:
> >>
> >> 5 lbs potatoes
> >>
> >> 4 cups 40% cream
> >>
> >> 2 heads of fresh garlic (not the stuff in jars!)
> >>
> >> 1 tsp salt
> >>
> >> 1 tsp white pepper (black pepper works too, but makes black specks in
> >> the sauce!)
> >>
> >> Gruyere swiss cheese
> >>

> >> Peel (optional I suppose) and slice up the potatoes into chunk slices
> >> about 1/4 inch thick. Peel and mince the garlic, and I pare that
> >> little green plant out of the middle of each clove (A PITA, but it's
> >> kinda fun too!)
> >>
> >> In a large pot, put the potato pieces, the cream, the garlic and the
> >> salt and pepper and bring to a gentle boil for about 10-15 mins. Thin
> >> with a little milk to make it easy to stir.
> >>
> >> Then pour into a shallow baking pan like a lasagna pan, and grate
> >> Gruyere cheese on top. Bake at 350F for 40 mins or into until the
> >> Gruyere gets light golden brown.
> >>
> >> Let sit for 30 mins after baking, and enjoy!
> >>

> >> John Kuthe...

> >Looks good John. I'm thinking it would also be good with a mix of
> >cheeses. Gruyere base, then add some muenster and a sprinkle of feta.
> >Blue cheese fans could use that in place of the feta.
> >
> >Think it would work? I might also throw some black olives in (at the
> >baking phase).
> >
> > Carol

> It would be good wiuth any blwend of most chewses, but the original
> recipie calls for Grurere swiss, whuich is a very excellent and
> flavorful swiss. I actually forgot the very good Gruyere I'd bought in
> STL for my float trip and had to stop at a grocers on the way and pick
> up some cheap usual generic swiss brand on my way down to the camping
> site this weelemnd, and it was fine!
>
> Yes you could make an endless varieties of variations too, but try the
> basic recipe first, and you may not ever want to vary it! My main
> modifiocations to the original as I got it was ingrrasing the amouint
> of garlic oin itrand using all pure 40% cream, with just a little shot
> of whole milk to thin it a little for stirring in the initial cook
> (bring to a simmer for 15mins of so in a pot before pouring it into a
> baking pan.)
>
> John Kuthe...

Been nipping at the old booze bucket again? Looks like it.
====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 11:04:38 +1000, Bruce > wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 17:57:02 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, June 28, 2015 at 5:57:17 PM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:

>>> It would be good wiuth any blwend of most chewses, but the original
>>> recipie calls for Grurere swiss, whuich is a very excellent and
>>> flavorful swiss. I actually forgot the very good Gruyere I'd bought in
>>> STL for my float trip and had to stop at a grocers on the way and pick
>>> up some cheap usual generic swiss brand on my way down to the camping
>>> site this weelemnd, and it was fine!
>>>
>>> Yes you could make an endless varieties of variations too, but try the
>>> basic recipe first, and you may not ever want to vary it! My main
>>> modifiocations to the original as I got it was ingrrasing the amouint
>>> of garlic oin itrand using all pure 40% cream, with just a little shot
>>> of whole milk to thin it a little for stirring in the initial cook
>>> (bring to a simmer for 15mins of so in a pot before pouring it into a
>>> baking pan.)
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...

>>Been nipping at the old booze bucket again? Looks like it.

>That's almost as bad as how I type on a mobile phone.

My Free Agent's editor sucks rocks, my arrow keys to move my editing
cursor stopped working for some mysterious reason, so correcting my
typing is very difficulot, and sometimes I don't even try!

John Kuthe...