Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Eggland's Best taste test:

In as controlled an experiment as I could manage, I separately scrambled an EB and a cheapo egg this am. DH could not tell the difference and neither could I. I cannot speaks for nutritional differences, but I don't think I'll be buying too many EBs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 06:34:47 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> In as controlled an experiment as I could manage, I separately scrambled an EB and a cheapo egg this am. DH could not tell the difference and neither could I. I cannot speaks for nutritional differences, but I don't think I'll be buying too many EBs.

Thank you! Can't say I'm surprised though.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/24/2015 9:34 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> In as controlled an experiment as I could manage, I separately
> scrambled an EB and a cheapo egg this am. DH could not tell the
> difference and neither could I. I cannot speaks for nutritional
> differences, but I don't think I'll be buying too many EBs.

Perhaps your cheap eggs are nicer than mine. You can tell
just from looking that Eggland's Best are different from mine,
and I like the taste better, and I like the nutritional part.

Having said that, I don't think anyone is trying to convince
anyone else to spend the extra $1 or 2 on them. To each his
own.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 06:34:47 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>> In as controlled an experiment as I could manage, I separately scrambled
>> an EB and a cheapo egg this am. DH could not tell the difference and
>> neither could I. I cannot speaks for nutritional differences, but I
>> don't think I'll be buying too many EBs.

> Thank you! Can't say I'm surprised though.
>
> --
>
> sf

I never could tell the difference in taste either, the yolks are deeper
colored is all. The last dozen I bought there were 2 eggs with large
bloodspots. I contacted EB and they offered a dozen free eggs, but I said no
I don't want free eggs, just wanted you to know. I know that the bloodspots
won't hurt a thing, but I don't like seeing them in my eggs since it's
off-putting to me.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brown eggs are more likely to have blood spots.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/24/2015 11:44 AM, wrote:
> Brown eggs are more likely to have blood spots.

That's just tabasco....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/24/2015 4:23 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> The more you pay the better it tastes.
>
> -sw

The story of your dating life...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 06:34:47 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>In as controlled an experiment as I could manage, I separately scrambled an EB and a cheapo egg this am. DH could not tell the difference and neither could I. I cannot speaks for nutritional differences, but I don't think I'll be buying too many EBs.

IMO, unless the only way you eat eggs is scrambled, this wouldn't be
an objective test due to all the extra ingredients involved.

The best test would be comparing poached eggs, as fresh eggs are
critical for good poached eggs - plus it's just egg and no other
flavours. Failing that, a boiled egg would be a good way to compare.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 4:05:55 PM UTC-7, Je�us wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 06:34:47 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
> >In as controlled an experiment as I could manage, I separately scrambled an EB and a cheapo egg this am. DH could not tell the difference and neither could I. I cannot speaks for nutritional differences, but I don't think I'll be buying too many EBs.

> IMO, unless the only way you eat eggs is scrambled, this wouldn't be
> an objective test due to all the extra ingredients involved.
>
> The best test would be comparing poached eggs, as fresh eggs are
> critical for good poached eggs - plus it's just egg and no other
> flavours. Failing that, a boiled egg would be a good way to compare.

We mostly eat coddled eggs, and the EBs taste great.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/24/2015 9:14 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> usually don't.
>
> -sw

**** off, woman-hater.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Brown eggs are more likely to have blood spots.

I've never seen any brown or white that didn't have an occasional blood
spot, but...I think it's sloppy candling when two end up in the same dozen.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brown eggs are very hard to candle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> Brown eggs are more likely to have blood spots.

> I've never seen any brown or white that didn't have an occasional blood
> spot, but...I think it's sloppy candling when two end up in the same
> dozen.
>
> Cheri

I cooked some Wilcox brown a few days ago. All 4 had blood spots. I don't
know about the rest of them as I wasn't the one who cooked them and nobody
said anything about it to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote:
><coltwvu wrote:
>
>> Brown eggs are more likely to have blood spots.

>I've never seen any brown or white that didn't have an occasional blood
>spot, but...I think it's sloppy candling when two end up in the same dozen.
>
>Cheri

Eggshell color has not a whit to do with bloodspots, has to do with
the age and physical condition of the bird. And today eggs are
candled robotically, there is no sloppiness. I can't remember the
last time I found a blood spot, has to be more than 20 years ago, and
I use a lot of eggs.
http://www.incredibleegg.org/egg-fac.../b/blood-spots
Eggshell color is due to diferent breeds of chicken.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

coltwvu wrote:

>Brown eggs are very hard to candle.

How do you come up with such garbage misinformation? Today eggs are
candled sonically, and with intense lighting that's electronically
scanned, it would be exceedingly rare for the machines to miss a blood
spot or a cracked shell. Anyone buying eggs from a neighbor with a
few chickens those eggs are probably not candled at all, they likely
have some older chickens near the end of their egg production and
those are the eggs most likely to contain bloodspots, and also tend to
have cracked shells.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I think leghorns have been bred to not lay eggs with blood spots more than rhode island reds have been.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

> "Cheri" wrote:
> ><coltwvu wrote:
> >
> >> Brown eggs are more likely to have blood spots.

> >I've never seen any brown or white that didn't have an occasional blood
> >spot, but...I think it's sloppy candling when two end up in the same dozen.
> >
> >Cheri

> Eggshell color has not a whit to do with bloodspots, has to do with
> the age and physical condition of the bird.

Not in the slightest. Egg shell colour is controlled by the breed of
hen. Each breed lays one colour of egg throughout its life, regardless
of age or physical condition.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" wrote:
>><coltwvu wrote:
>>
>>> Brown eggs are more likely to have blood spots.

>>I've never seen any brown or white that didn't have an occasional blood
>>spot, but...I think it's sloppy candling when two end up in the same
>>dozen.
>>
>>Cheri

> Eggshell color has not a whit to do with bloodspots, has to do with
> the age and physical condition of the bird. And today eggs are
> candled robotically, there is no sloppiness. I can't remember the
> last time I found a blood spot, has to be more than 20 years ago, and
> I use a lot of eggs.
> http://www.incredibleegg.org/egg-fac.../b/blood-spots
> Eggshell color is due to diferent breeds of chicken.

Since we raised chickens in the old days, a couple thousand at a time, I
really don't need you to tell me about them or turkeys. We candled by hand,
and when we did come across blood spots, we put them in containers and
shipped them to bakeries.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> Eggshell color has not a whit to do with bloodspots, has to do with
> the age and physical condition of the bird. And today eggs are
> candled robotically, there is no sloppiness. I can't remember the
> last time I found a blood spot, has to be more than 20 years ago, and
> I use a lot of eggs.

I call it sloppy when two blood spotted eggs end up in the same dozen.

Cheri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> coltwvu wrote:
>>
>>Brown eggs are very hard to candle.

> How do you come up with such garbage misinformation? Today eggs are
> candled sonically, and with intense lighting that's electronically
> scanned, it would be exceedingly rare for the machines to miss a blood

I doubt that it's that rare, since two in the same dozen isn't a once in a
lifetime event I'm sure.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/25/2015 9:06 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> coltwvu wrote:
>>
>> Brown eggs are very hard to candle.

> How do you come up with such garbage misinformation? Today eggs are
> candled sonically,

I think you missed the humor. Eggs don't burn that well anyway, I'm
sticking with wax.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 6/25/2015 9:06 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> coltwvu wrote:
>>>
>>> Brown eggs are very hard to candle.

>> How do you come up with such garbage misinformation? Today eggs are
>> candled sonically,

> I think you missed the humor. Eggs don't burn that well anyway, I'm
> sticking with wax.

duhhhhhhh

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My parents both said as kids the chickens they saw were mostly barred plymouth rocks, said they never saw rhode island reds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 9:34:52 AM UTC-4, Kalmia wrote:
> In as controlled an experiment as I could manage, I separately scrambled an EB and a cheapo egg this am. DH could not tell the difference and neither could I. I cannot speaks for nutritional differences, but I don't think I'll be buying too many EBs.

3rd double yolk in this carton. I had boiled eggs twice, be hard to tell if they did have double yolk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 02:48:55 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
> >Brown eggs are very hard to candle.

> I can imagine, but that's not what they're for. Most people eat them.

What? The candles?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 22:14:55 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 09:05:41 +1000, Jeßus wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 06:34:47 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> In as controlled an experiment as I could manage, I separately
>>> scrambled an EB and a cheapo egg this am. DH could not tell the
>>> difference and neither could I. I cannot speaks for nutritional
>>> differences, but I don't think I'll be buying too many EBs.

>> IMO, unless the only way you eat eggs is scrambled, this wouldn't be
>> an objective test due to all the extra ingredients involved.

>Extra ingredients? I know some people add a splash of milk, but I
>usually don't.

I rarely make my scrambled eggs the same way twice, I'll add things
like milk or cheese, pepper, salt... finely chopped capsicum, onion or
anything else that sounds good at the time. I always cook them in
butter though - that's probably the one thing I do consistently.

Sometimes I cook my scrambled eggs firm, sometimes on the sloppy side.
Just plain egg on it's own sounds a little, well, plain for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I put hot sauce on scrambled eggs, tried pickled jalapenos in them once and didn't like it. I doubt jumbo white eggs come from leghorns, black minorcas maybe?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/25/2015 7:55 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I forgot about butter.

Margerine and anus again tonight?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/25/2015 7:59 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> brown shells make it harder to detect smaller blood spots.

Is this your foolproof pregnancy test?

Stick to guinea hens.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 20:55:18 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 08:52:17 +1000, Jeßus wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 22:14:55 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Extra ingredients? I know some people add a splash of milk, but I
>>>usually don't.

>> I rarely make my scrambled eggs the same way twice, I'll add things
>> like milk or cheese, pepper, salt... finely chopped capsicum, onion or
>> anything else that sounds good at the time. I always cook them in
>> butter though - that's probably the one thing I do consistently.

>I forgot about butter. I usually do add some butter to the pan before
>cracking in the eggs.
>
>I always scramble quickly in the pan rather
>than beating the egg separately then adding to the pan.

I use both methods. I like to vary my scrambled eggs a lot, depending
on what I feel like at the time.

>If I were doing a taste test it would just be egg and nothing else.

Yes, definitely that is the only way for a taste test.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 7:05:55 PM UTC-4, Je�us wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 06:34:47 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
> >In as controlled an experiment as I could manage, I separately scrambled an EB and a cheapo egg this am. DH could not tell the difference and neither could I. I cannot speaks for nutritional differences, but I don't think I'll be buying too many EBs.

> IMO, unless the only way you eat eggs is scrambled, this wouldn't be
> an objective test due to all the extra ingredients involved.

Extra ingredients? A sprinkle of salt on the finished eggs was all I added.. Same pan, same heat - in fact, I did them simultaneously, working like a beaver with a spatula to keep them separated.

Maybe I'll do another experiment with hard cooked just to see what happens.

BBQ sauce taste test Shalako General Cooking 5 11-09-2015 05:38 PM
BBQ sauce taste test Shalako Barbecue 1 09-09-2015 11:36 PM
Taste test: pasta Kalmia General Cooking 38 05-11-2012 01:02 AM
Coke Taste Test Dan Abel General Cooking 12 20-11-2009 11:00 AM
Taste Test Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 17 14-09-2006 04:14 AM