Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Salt reduced side bacon

Just tried some salt-reduced bacon and I won't be doing that again.
There seemed to be an odd background taste that was possibly from sub-standard
pork bellies used in its production. Also packaged in the new rip-off 375 gram
package. I won't have to worry about it spoiling before it gets used up as
there isn't much there to start with.

I'll stick with the old tradition regular salted and thick-sliced product from now on. My blood pressure is fine so no problemo.
===
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2015 8:06 PM, Roy wrote:
> Just tried some salt-reduced bacon and I won't be doing that again.
> There seemed to be an odd background taste that was possibly from sub-standard
> pork bellies used in its production. Also packaged in the new rip-off 375 gram
> package. I won't have to worry about it spoiling before it gets used up as
> there isn't much there to start with.
>
> I'll stick with the old tradition regular salted and thick-sliced product from now on. My blood pressure is fine so no problemo.
> ===

Highly recommend is the Wright's brand.

One taste and you'll be right as rain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:
> Just tried some salt-reduced bacon and I won't be doing that again.
> There seemed to be an odd background taste that was possibly from sub-standard
> pork bellies used in its production. Also packaged in the new rip-off 375 gram
> package. I won't have to worry about it spoiling before it gets used up as
> there isn't much there to start with.
>
> I'll stick with the old tradition regular salted and thick-sliced product from now on. My blood pressure is fine so no problemo.

my wife accidentally bought low sodium bacon once - I would salt it before
cooking so it was at least edible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 16:58:13 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

> Roy wrote:
> > Just tried some salt-reduced bacon and I won't be doing that again.
> > There seemed to be an odd background taste that was possibly from sub-standard
> > pork bellies used in its production. Also packaged in the new rip-off 375 gram
> > package. I won't have to worry about it spoiling before it gets used up as
> > there isn't much there to start with.
> >
> > I'll stick with the old tradition regular salted and thick-sliced product from now on. My blood pressure is fine so no problemo.

> my wife accidentally bought low sodium bacon once - I would salt it before
> cooking so it was at least edible

I used to buy low sodium bacon in the hopes of it tasting less salty,
but apparenty the amount of salt in bacon isn't regulated so it was
often more salth tasting, not less and I gave up on it eventually.

--

sf