Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Cutting the Cost of Baking" by Amy Dacyczyn

This article appears in "The Tightwad Gazette," vol. 1, on pages 201-205, followed by "Baking Powder Update" (205-206) and a piece on the virtues of powdered milk (mostly on pages 208-209).

From what I can tell, the page numbers would not be the same in "The Complete Tightwad Gazette," which has all three volumes. Check the index to be sure.

It's not really available to read in Google Books - and the blogs and forums I found under that article's title don't make it clear just when they're quoting directly from the book.

First paragraph:

"As a general rule home-baked foods cost 1/4 to 1/3 of the store-bought price. Exceptions include some packaged mixes, as well as some baked goods purchased on sale with double coupons. The cost of home baking can be further minimized using basic strategies."

Aside from tips on shopping, energy, health and time-saving, she explained how to make cheap substitutes for wheat flour, cream ("mix powdered milk with half the water"), buttermilk, condensed milk, eggs, oil (sometimes, one can use applesauce!), brown sugar, and baking powder.

Regarding the soy-flour substitute for eggs, she said: "We...tried it in muffins, pancakes, cornbread, cake, and even meatloaf. We could not detect any difference."

She also pointed out that if you use soy flour AND powdered milk in a homemade pancake mix, all you'd need is water when cooking pancakes on a camping trip.

Under "Sugars" (many of you know this one), she quoted a reader as saying that a very small amount of baking soda in a fruit pie or crisp will allow you to use only about half the usual amount of sugar. One needs to experiment to be sure, of course.

In the article on powdered milk, she said: "I will say that ALL foods are an acquired taste. Chances are that the first time you tasted coffee, tea, diet cola, or wine you did not like them. In all likelihood one of those beverages is a regular part of your diet today. Dry milk tastes best when chilled overnight and consumed with a meal...Dry milk is 100% fat-free. Whole milk has a 4% fat content. By mixing half and half you can make your own 2% milk, which is often more expensive than whole milk."

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
This article appears in "The Tightwad Gazette," vol. 1, on pages 201-205,
followed by "Baking Powder Update" (205-206) and a piece on the virtues of
powdered milk (mostly on pages 208-209).

From what I can tell, the page numbers would not be the same in "The
Complete Tightwad Gazette," which has all three volumes. Check the index to
be sure.

[...]

----------

There is being frugal, and then there is being foolish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 12:30:19 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:

> There is being frugal, and then there is being foolish.

Define "foolish."

As Amy D. mentioned elsewhere, there are five - maybe ten - immediate ways to save big amounts of money, but hundreds of ways to save TINY amounts, and they Add Up. Sure, learning to focus on such things can be a bit difficult at first, like learning to ride a bike, but once you get used to the concept, you don't spend time thinking about it any more than you think about pedaling or keeping your balance.

For example, most of us wouldn't dream of spending $10,000 a year on movies, overpriced popcorn, cable TV, video games, etc. - and probably most of us don't spend quite that much. However, when one adds it up, it can be pretty shocking to realize just how much one DID spend last year - considering one likely doesn't remember half the movies watched or games played!

Another example of this is takeout food or restaurant meals, which can easily cost 10 times what you could cook at home - just how many restaurant meals do you remember that were 10 times as memorable as your home cooking? (As opposed to twice as memorable?)

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 12:30:19 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:

> There is being frugal, and then there is being foolish.

Define "foolish."

As Amy D. mentioned elsewhere, there are five - maybe ten - immediate ways
to save big amounts of money, but hundreds of ways to save TINY amounts, and
they Add Up. Sure, learning to focus on such things can be a bit difficult
at first, like learning to ride a bike, but once you get used to the
concept, you don't spend time thinking about it any more than you think
about pedaling or keeping your balance.

For example, most of us wouldn't dream of spending $10,000 a year on movies,
overpriced popcorn, cable TV, video games, etc. - and probably most of us
don't spend quite that much. However, when one adds it up, it can be pretty
shocking to realize just how much one DID spend last year - considering one
likely doesn't remember half the movies watched or games played!

Another example of this is takeout food or restaurant meals, which can
easily cost 10 times what you could cook at home - just how many restaurant
meals do you remember that were 10 times as memorable as your home cooking?
(As opposed to twice as memorable?)

Lenona.

---------

soy-flour substitute for eggs

powdered milk to make cream

why not just stop eating?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 1:08:01 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 12:30:19 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:
>

> > There is being frugal, and then there is being foolish.

> Define "foolish."
>
> As Amy D. mentioned elsewhere, there are five - maybe ten - immediate ways to save big amounts of money, but hundreds of ways to save TINY amounts, and they Add Up. Sure, learning to focus on such things can be a bit difficult at first, like learning to ride a bike, but once you get used to the concept, you don't spend time thinking about it any more than you think about pedaling or keeping your balance.
>
> Another example of this is takeout food or restaurant meals, which can easily cost 10 times what you could cook at home - just how many restaurant meals do you remember that were 10 times as memorable as your home cooking? (As opposed to twice as memorable?)

My time has considerable value to me. I'm often willing to trade it for
foregone savings.

Or, consider my weekly lunch out. I leave the office (leaving behind
all of the stresses of the workday). Someone cooks my food, someone
delivers it to my table and refills my water, and someone washes the
dishes. $14 for a salad, bread, and olive oil (including tip)
is well worth it to me. The bread is as good as the bread for
which I pay more than $6.00 per loaf at the bakery.

Most times, my home cooking isn't all that elaborate, saving my
time for other activities. Restaurant meals meet or exceed my
usual home-cooked fare, especially ethnic foods. I'm not about
to buy five different kinds of fish to make sushi at home.

Many restaurant meals are 10 times as memorable as the scrambled
eggs and toast that I had for dinner on Friday.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 2:22:07 AM UTC+10, wrote:

> cheap substitutes for wheat flour,

Given the price of wheat flour (75c/kg, for 1kg packs from the supermarket), I wonder what might be cheap enough to be a cheap substitute.

(Supermarket small package wholemeal/whole-wheat flour is significantly more expensive here (I assume that the shorter shelf life is at least partly responsible), but bulk prices for all-purpose plain flour and wholemeal are similar.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 11:30:19 AM UTC-5, taxed and spent wrote:
> > wrote in message
> This article appears in "The Tightwad Gazette," vol. 1, on pages 201-205,
> followed by "Baking Powder Update" (205-206) and a piece on the virtues of
> powdered milk (mostly on pages 208-209).
>
> From what I can tell, the page numbers would not be the same in "The
> Complete Tightwad Gazette," which has all three volumes. Check the index to
> be sure.
>
> It's not really available to read in Google Books - and the blogs and forums
> I found under that article's title don't make it clear just when they're
> quoting directly from the book.
>
> First paragraph:
>
> "As a general rule home-baked foods cost 1/4 to 1/3 of the store-bought
> price. Exceptions include some packaged mixes, as well as some baked goods
> purchased on sale with double coupons. The cost of home baking can be
> further minimized using basic strategies."
>
> Aside from tips on shopping, energy, health and time-saving, she explained
> how to make cheap substitutes for wheat flour, cream ("mix powdered milk
> with half the water"), buttermilk, condensed milk, eggs, oil (sometimes, one
> can use applesauce!), brown sugar, and baking powder.
>
> Regarding the soy-flour substitute for eggs, she said: "We...tried it in
> muffins, pancakes, cornbread, cake, and even meatloaf. We could not detect
> any difference."
>
> She also pointed out that if you use soy flour AND powdered milk in a
> homemade pancake mix, all you'd need is water when cooking pancakes on a
> camping trip.
>
> Under "Sugars" (many of you know this one), she quoted a reader as saying
> that a very small amount of baking soda in a fruit pie or crisp will allow
> you to use only about half the usual amount of sugar. One needs to
> experiment to be sure, of course.
>
> In the article on powdered milk, she said: "I will say that ALL foods are an
> acquired taste. Chances are that the first time you tasted coffee, tea, diet
> cola, or wine you did not like them. In all likelihood one of those
> beverages is a regular part of your diet today. Dry milk tastes best when
> chilled overnight and consumed with a meal...Dry milk is 100% fat-free.
> Whole milk has a 4% fat content. By mixing half and half you can make your
> own 2% milk, which is often more expensive than whole milk."
>

> Lenona.
>
> ----------
>
> There is being frugal, and then there is being foolish.

Lenona has very low standards, at least when it comes to food. Only a pig
would use powdered milk if they had any reasonable choice. Amy Dacyczyn is
a pig who merits being slopped like one.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2015 7:19 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> Amy Dacyczyn is a pig who merits being slopped like one.
>
> --Bryan

Aren't you just the most adorable little asshole!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 11:22:57 -0700, "taxed and spent"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
>On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 12:30:19 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:
>

>> There is being frugal, and then there is being foolish.

>Define "foolish."
>
>As Amy D. mentioned elsewhere, there are five - maybe ten - immediate ways
>to save big amounts of money, but hundreds of ways to save TINY amounts, and
>they Add Up. Sure, learning to focus on such things can be a bit difficult
>at first, like learning to ride a bike, but once you get used to the
>concept, you don't spend time thinking about it any more than you think
>about pedaling or keeping your balance.
>
>For example, most of us wouldn't dream of spending $10,000 a year on movies,
>overpriced popcorn, cable TV, video games, etc. - and probably most of us
>don't spend quite that much. However, when one adds it up, it can be pretty
>shocking to realize just how much one DID spend last year - considering one
>likely doesn't remember half the movies watched or games played!
>
>Another example of this is takeout food or restaurant meals, which can
>easily cost 10 times what you could cook at home - just how many restaurant
>meals do you remember that were 10 times as memorable as your home cooking?
>(As opposed to twice as memorable?)
>
>Lenona.

The last time I went to a movie I saw Sophie's Choice. The last time
I paid to see a sporting event the Bums played at Ebbet's Field. The
last time I ate anything out has to be like three years ago, I got
tired of paying good money to be served dreck... actually the only
food I've ever eaten at any restaurant that was better than my own
cooking was Chinese food and Kosher deli food... there are no more
decent Chinese restaurants or Kosher delis. I like cable TV, HDTV is
a hundred times better than the old style TV, and it costs a heck of a
lot less than movie tickets... actually I wouldn't go to one of those
alley way multiplex joints to sit on a milk box seat with all those
noisy smelly unbathed cretins if you paid me... I'd much rather the
comfort of home with my big screen HDTV. I don't do video games, I've
tried a few, big time wasters, they get boring fast. I have a dozen
skinless boneless chicken titties defrosted to prepare tomorrow,
haven't decided how yet... but before freezing I sliced each into
cutlets, I turned those 12 D cups into 24 B cups... I'm thinking
lightly breaded/fried.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 8:33:25 PM UTC-5, La Mirada wrote:
> On 6/14/2015 7:19 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> > Amy Dacyczyn is a pig who merits being slopped like one.
> >
> > --Bryan

> Aren't you just the most adorable little asshole!

I'm sure you'd prefer your sister's asshole, which I'm certain you'd find
more adorable, but fighting your way past those giant cellulite ass cheeks
is just too much work.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
On Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 1:08:01 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 12:30:19 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:
>

> > There is being frugal, and then there is being foolish.

> Define "foolish."
>
> As Amy D. mentioned elsewhere, there are five - maybe ten - immediate ways
> to save big amounts of money, but hundreds of ways to save TINY amounts,
> and they Add Up. Sure, learning to focus on such things can be a bit
> difficult at first, like learning to ride a bike, but once you get used to
> the concept, you don't spend time thinking about it any more than you
> think about pedaling or keeping your balance.
>
> Another example of this is takeout food or restaurant meals, which can
> easily cost 10 times what you could cook at home - just how many
> restaurant meals do you remember that were 10 times as memorable as your
> home cooking? (As opposed to twice as memorable?)

My time has considerable value to me. I'm often willing to trade it for
foregone savings.

Or, consider my weekly lunch out. I leave the office (leaving behind
all of the stresses of the workday). Someone cooks my food, someone
delivers it to my table and refills my water, and someone washes the
dishes. $14 for a salad, bread, and olive oil (including tip)
is well worth it to me. The bread is as good as the bread for
which I pay more than $6.00 per loaf at the bakery.

Most times, my home cooking isn't all that elaborate, saving my
time for other activities. Restaurant meals meet or exceed my
usual home-cooked fare, especially ethnic foods. I'm not about
to buy five different kinds of fish to make sushi at home.

Many restaurant meals are 10 times as memorable as the scrambled
eggs and toast that I had for dinner on Friday.

Cindy Hamilton

---

Holy cow! $14 for salad, bread and olive oil is not a price I would ever
pay unless it was at some sort of dinner party that I just couldn't get out
of. I have an upcoming party at Buco De Beppo. I am going for the people.
Not the food. I think the only safe thing they have for me to eat is green
beans. Maybe salad. But knowing how my stomach operates, it wouldn't be
wise to eat both at the same time.

I do love the food at my favorite taqueria, but unless one of us is super
hungry, we don't pay that much per person, including a soft drink. Of
course it's not fine dining. Just damned good food!

I can think of many ways to cut costs while cooking or baking but they're
not necessarily things I want to do. When I make food, I have several
considerations. One of which is nutrition. Sure, I could save money buy
using an off brand shortening instead of a healthier oil. But isn't that
what the big food producers do? No thanks. One reason I do make my own
food is because I know exactly what I am putting in it.

I am eating an overpriced meal tonight. I just don't care. I got salad bar
at Central Market. It's hot, I'm tired and I don't to cook. Although I did
get an assortment of prepared salads, I am likely not having any of them. I
got mostly cooked and raw vegetables for myself and a little cooked Farro.
I did get a small amount of beet salad. I might have a few bites of that.
It's simply cooked beets, red onion, olive oil, salt and pepper.

I needed to use up some instant mashed potatoes so husband had those with
some of the Ikea meatballs that I bought, beef gravy, the beet salad and a
kale salad. Angela just had an assortment of salads. I also have several
kinds of fruit. If anyone is still hungry, they can have some of that. Or
some cheese.

I will most likely not be cooking tomorrow either as it will be hotter
still, but I did buy some really good steaks that I will probably make the
day after.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2015 7:48 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 8:33:25 PM UTC-5, La Mirada wrote:
>> On 6/14/2015 7:19 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>>> Amy Dacyczyn is a pig who merits being slopped like one.
>>>
>>> --Bryan

>> Aren't you just the most adorable little asshole!

> I'm sure you'd prefer your sister's asshole, which I'm certain you'd find
> more adorable, but fighting your way past those giant cellulite ass cheeks
> is just too much work.
>
> --Bryan

I'm wondering if you share your unique perverted fantasies with your son.

I do hope not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Timo" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 2:22:07 AM UTC+10, wrote:
>>
>> cheap substitutes for wheat flour,

> Given the price of wheat flour (75c/kg, for 1kg packs from the
> supermarket), I wonder what might be cheap enough to be a cheap
> substitute.
>
> (Supermarket small package wholemeal/whole-wheat flour is significantly
> more expensive here (I assume that the shorter shelf life is at least
> partly responsible), but bulk prices for all-purpose plain flour and
> wholemeal are similar.)

Sweet rice flour (aka glutinous rice) can be cheap if you buy it in the
Asian market or Asian food section. However, it's not so good for bread
unless you really need to eat gluten free and in that case you would usually
use a blend of flour. However it works very well for thickening sauces and
gravies and it won't break down on reheating like cornstarch can.

I had a friend in NY who pretty much made everything from scratch. She's in
MO now where I would imagine that she has a big garden. That wasn't an
option where we lived, in the military housing on Staten Island. I did try
growing a few things but the housing area was just too wooded and there were
too many wild animals around. Anyway... She bought wheat in 50 pound bags
and ground it into flour herself. I have no clue how much the grinder cost.
And no, she did not use a bread machine. She did say that the wheat needed
to be used up as quickly as possible and should only be ground up as needed
or it would go rancid.

In her case, I don't know how much of her decision to do this was based on
saving money and how much was due to other things. She was very picky about
their diet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan-TGWWW" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> acquired taste. Chances are that the first time you tasted coffee, tea,
>> diet
>> cola, or wine you did not like them. In all likelihood one of those
>> beverages is a regular part of your diet today. Dry milk tastes best when
>> chilled overnight and consumed with a meal...Dry milk is 100% fat-free.
>> Whole milk has a 4% fat content. By mixing half and half you can make
>> your
>> own 2% milk, which is often more expensive than whole milk."
>>

>> Lenona.
>>
>> ----------
>>
>> There is being frugal, and then there is being foolish.

> Lenona has very low standards, at least when it comes to food. Only a pig
> would use powdered milk if they had any reasonable choice. Amy Dacyczyn
> is
> a pig who merits being slopped like one.

There are many reasons to use powdered milk, but for me, cost isn't one of
them. Could be that in the past, it was cheaper to use it. Doesn't seem to
be the case now but, we don't use a lot of milk in this house. I tend to
buy small amounts and even that can go bad once opened, before it is all
used. For that reason, I like to keep some powdered around for use in
cooking and baking. I didn't have any aside from buttermilk for a very long
time because when I do buy it, I like to buy a very small amount and I just
hadn't been able to find it like that until I saw some online at Walmart.
So now I have some again.

I used to use it for mashed potatoes. The flavor was incredible! Do not
fully drain your potatoes, but reserve the water in case you need more. Add
the powdered milk. You can even add extra for extra protein. Add whatever
else such as salt, pepper, butter, and mash the milk right in. Add more
water if needed.

When used in baked goods or even in an icing or frosting, you can not tell
the difference between that and real milk.

I have also seen candy recipes that call for the powdered milk. Faux
Tootsie Rolls are one such.

One thing I would not try to use it for is to drink or on cereal. I grew up
with the stuff and it's nasty like that. But it might work in a pinch in a
smoothie or coffee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 10:19:19 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

> Holy cow! $14 for salad, bread and olive oil is not a price I would ever
> pay unless it was at some sort of dinner party that I just couldn't get out
> of.

I suspect my disposable income is a trifle higher than yours,
since my husband and I are both employed as engineers, and we
pool our incomes in the traditional way that married people do.

The salad, bread, and olive oil are $10.00. Sales tax is $0.60. I just
plop $14 on the table and leave. I get excellent service, not that I need
very much. They always remember that I prefer the salad without
peperoncini.

Oh, I forgot that they bring a lagniappe of taramosalata with the
bread. Just a couple of tablespoons. That's included in the $10.00.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2015 9:24 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> The salad, bread, and olive oil are $10.00. Sales tax is $0.60. I just
> plop $14 on the table and leave. I get excellent service, not that I need
> very much. They always remember that I prefer the salad without
> peperoncini.

I order salad at restaurants on occasion, $10 is about normal.
We're not talking about a tiny bowl with a few iceberg lettuce
leaves and a cherry tomato. Maybe a chopped salad, or a caesar
salad type of thing with chicken.

Either way, if it's worth it to you, who's got the right to say
how you use your budget. Heh.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 18:19:30 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>Lenona has very low standards, at least when it comes to food. Only a pig
>would use powdered milk if they had any reasonable choice. Amy Dacyczyn is
>a pig who merits being slopped like one.

Powdered milk is often a first choice ingredient for certain breads.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Oh, I forgot that they bring a lagniappe of taramosalata with the
> bread. Just a couple of tablespoons. That's included in the $10.00.

Geez! WTH is that? No need to answer...I'll look it up but I have
never heard of what you just said. Hee hee (tm dsil)

PS - I just looked it up and I'm still not sure.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-06-15 9:51 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 18:19:30 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
> > wrote:
>

>> Lenona has very low standards, at least when it comes to food. Only a pig
>> would use powdered milk if they had any reasonable choice. Amy Dacyczyn is
>> a pig who merits being slopped like one.

> Powdered milk is often a first choice ingredient for certain breads.

My mother always used powdered milk for bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 1:08:01 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 12:30:19 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:
>>

>> > There is being frugal, and then there is being foolish.

>> Define "foolish."
>>
>> As Amy D. mentioned elsewhere, there are five - maybe ten - immediate
>> ways to save big amounts of money, but hundreds of ways to save TINY
>> amounts, and they Add Up. Sure, learning to focus on such things can be a
>> bit difficult at first, like learning to ride a bike, but once you get
>> used to the concept, you don't spend time thinking about it any more than
>> you think about pedaling or keeping your balance.
>>
>> Another example of this is takeout food or restaurant meals, which can
>> easily cost 10 times what you could cook at home - just how many
>> restaurant meals do you remember that were 10 times as memorable as your
>> home cooking? (As opposed to twice as memorable?)

> My time has considerable value to me. I'm often willing to trade it for
> foregone savings.
>
> Or, consider my weekly lunch out. I leave the office (leaving behind
> all of the stresses of the workday). Someone cooks my food, someone
> delivers it to my table and refills my water, and someone washes the
> dishes. $14 for a salad, bread, and olive oil (including tip)
> is well worth it to me. The bread is as good as the bread for
> which I pay more than $6.00 per loaf at the bakery.
>
> Most times, my home cooking isn't all that elaborate, saving my
> time for other activities. Restaurant meals meet or exceed my
> usual home-cooked fare, especially ethnic foods. I'm not about
> to buy five different kinds of fish to make sushi at home.
>
> Many restaurant meals are 10 times as memorable as the scrambled
> eggs and toast that I had for dinner on Friday.

I don't know why others get concerned about how some people use their own
money. Your money, your decision.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> Oh, I forgot that they bring a lagniappe of taramosalata with the
>> bread. Just a couple of tablespoons. That's included in the $10.00.

> Geez! WTH is that? No need to answer...I'll look it up but I have
> never heard of what you just said. Hee hee (tm dsil)
>
> PS - I just looked it up and I'm still not sure.

A gift

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 09:51:46 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 18:19:30 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
> > wrote:
>

> >Lenona has very low standards, at least when it comes to food. Only a pig
> >would use powdered milk if they had any reasonable choice. Amy Dacyczyn is
> >a pig who merits being slopped like one.

> Powdered milk is often a first choice ingredient for certain breads.

Back in the days when I made yogurt, I used powdered milk to make a
thicker product. I could say I was simulating Greek yogurt, but I'd
never heard of it at that point. Now I keep powdered buttermilk in a
corner of the refrigerator for those times I need buttermilk on the
spur of the moment and have none to use.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> >> Oh, I forgot that they bring a lagniappe of taramosalata with the
> >> bread. Just a couple of tablespoons. That's included in the $10.00.

> > Geez! WTH is that? No need to answer...I'll look it up but I have
> > never heard of what you just said. Hee hee (tm dsil)
> >
> > PS - I just looked it up and I'm still not sure.

> A gift

Help me here. what is it exactly? :-o
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl...ppe+definition

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Gary" > wrote in message

>>> A gift

>> Help me here. what is it exactly? :-o

> https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl...ppe+definition

Definition of LAGNIAPPE. : a small gift given a customer by a merchant at
the time of a purchase; broadly : something given or obtained gratuitously
or by way of good measure.

Chiefly Southern Louisiana and Southeast Texas. a small gift given with a
purchase to a customer, by way of compliment or for good measure; bonus. 2.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 11:29:34 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:

> > > Geez! WTH is that? No need to answer...I'll look it up but I have
> > > never heard of what you just said. Hee hee (tm dsil)
> > >
> > > PS - I just looked it up and I'm still not sure.

> > A gift

> Help me here. what is it exactly? :-o

Oh, just figure it out from context:

1) "His blood pressure rose as she slipped off her lagniappe, wearing
nothing underneath."

2) "Lagniappe! And let slip the dogs of war!"

3) "Your lagniappe is busted, lady. We can get you a remanufactured
one for $350 or a new one for $700. Labor is gonna run ya another
$800. We might need to replace your frommidge while we're in there."

Did that help?

:-)

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 11:30:03 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:

> > > Geez! WTH is that? No need to answer...I'll look it up but I have
> > > never heard of what you just said. Hee hee (tm dsil)
> > >
> > > PS - I just looked it up and I'm still not sure.

> > A gift

> Help me here. what is it exactly? :-o

Taramosalata is a spread of carp row, onion, lemon juice, olive oil
and bread. Here's a recipe.
http://www.lemonandolives.com/greek-taramosalata/

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2015 9:04 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

>>> Define "foolish."
>>>
>>> As Amy D. mentioned elsewhere, there are five - maybe ten - immediate
>>> ways to save big amounts of money, but hundreds of ways to save TINY
>>> amounts, and they Add Up. Sure, learning to focus on such things can
>>> be a
>>> bit difficult at first, like learning to ride a bike, but once you get
>>> used to the concept, you don't spend time thinking about it any more
>>> than
>>> you think about pedaling or keeping your balance.
>>>
>>> Another example of this is takeout food or restaurant meals, which can
>>> easily cost 10 times what you could cook at home - just how many
>>> restaurant meals do you remember that were 10 times as memorable as your
>>> home cooking? (As opposed to twice as memorable?)

>> My time has considerable value to me. I'm often willing to trade it for
>> foregone savings.
>>
>> Or, consider my weekly lunch out. I leave the office (leaving behind
>> all of the stresses of the workday). Someone cooks my food, someone
>> delivers it to my table and refills my water, and someone washes the
>> dishes. $14 for a salad, bread, and olive oil (including tip)
>> is well worth it to me. The bread is as good as the bread for
>> which I pay more than $6.00 per loaf at the bakery.
>>
>> Most times, my home cooking isn't all that elaborate, saving my
>> time for other activities. Restaurant meals meet or exceed my
>> usual home-cooked fare, especially ethnic foods. I'm not about
>> to buy five different kinds of fish to make sushi at home.
>>
>> Many restaurant meals are 10 times as memorable as the scrambled
>> eggs and toast that I had for dinner on Friday.

> I don't know why others get concerned about how some people use their own
> money. Your money, your decision.

Precisely!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 4:41:47 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Most times, my home cooking isn't all that elaborate, saving my
> time for other activities. Restaurant meals meet or exceed my
> usual home-cooked fare, especially ethnic foods. I'm not about
> to buy five different kinds of fish to make sushi at home.

I love sushi. I would NEVER try to make sushi at home, mainly because I heard of at least one horror story that doesn't happen with trained chefs (a tiny worm that resulted in agony and surgery for the poor eater, later on).

But even if that were not a possible hazard, I suspect it just wouldn't taste the same anyway.

However, regarding time, Amy D. had another story, about the benefits of freezers (probably in vol. 2 and/or "The Complete Tightwad Gazette"). In it, she mentioned a friend who had always had a freezer even when she lived in a trailer. That didn't sound frugal to Amy until she heard how the friend used it; she cooked big batches of multiple dishes (not sure how elaborate they were; stew was one of them), divided them into small containers, froze them and simply popped them in the microwave when needed, choosing a different dinner each time. So even when she was exhausted, she had tasty, nutritious food available in minutes, every day.

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> The salad, bread, and olive oil are $10.00. Sales tax is $0.60. I just
>> plop $14 on the table and leave. I get excellent service, not that I need
>> very much. They always remember that I prefer the salad without
>> peperoncini.

>I order salad at restaurants on occasion, $10 is about normal.
>We're not talking about a tiny bowl with a few iceberg lettuce
>leaves and a cherry tomato. Maybe a chopped salad, or a caesar
>salad type of thing with chicken.
>
>Either way, if it's worth it to you, who's got the right to say
>how you use your budget. Heh.

I enjoy a big chefs salad, makes the entire meal... I often prepare my
own at home... no special recipe... whatever is available; fresh
veggies, canned beans/beets, cheeses, cold cuts, toasted nuts,
croutons, hard eggs, etc... then just some good crusty bread. A big
chefs salad is also a great way to clean out the fridge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 12:04:42 PM UTC-4, wrote:

> 1) "His blood pressure rose as she slipped off her lagniappe, wearing
> nothing underneath."
>
> 2) "Lagniappe! And let slip the dogs of war!"
>
> 3) "Your lagniappe is busted, lady. We can get you a remanufactured
> one for $350 or a new one for $700. Labor is gonna run ya another
> $800. We might need to replace your frommidge while we're in there."
>
> Did that help?

It was very helpful that I wasn't drinking a beverage when I
read your post.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 8:05:19 PM UTC-4, Timo wrote:

> Given the price of wheat flour (75c/kg, for 1kg packs from the supermarket), I wonder what might be cheap enough to be a cheap substitute.

IIRC, Amy D. said she stirred in a small amount of wheat germ into the white flour. One person (below) claimed to use 7 parts white flour and 1 part wheat germ. Offhand, I don't know how likely that is to be cheaper than whole wheat flour. (Other people use 2 parts white flour to 1 part wheat germ.)

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ubstitute+germ

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 20:22:20 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:

>On 6/14/2015 7:48 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

>>> Aren't you just the most adorable little asshole!

>> I'm sure you'd prefer your sister's asshole, which I'm certain you'd find
>> more adorable, but fighting your way past those giant cellulite ass cheeks
>> is just too much work.
>>
>> --Bryan
>>

>I'm wondering if you share your unique perverted fantasies with your son.
>
>I do hope not.

Bryan is just an undiagnosed and in denial sufferer of Narcississtic
Personality Disorder, considers himself to be an authority on
everything, and is taking passive aggressive pot shots at a few people
here on RFC.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan said (snipped)
_________________________________

You obviously haven't seen the menu for "Chez Dacyczyn."

If you want to know what they ate, their menu for two weeks in 1992 appears on pages 48-49 of vol. 1. (They have their own big garden and there's nothing surprising or elaborate - but it's all quite healthful.) Not sure if it appears in "The Complete Tightwad Gazette," which came out in 1998 - check the index under "menu."

From volume 1, some favorites of mine:

Price books for groceries - about learning how much to buy or not buy when things go on sale.

Dating - learning how to find frugal people without appearing ungenerous.

Baking substitutes

Chart for comparing prices on different-sized eggs (e.g. five large eggs are equal to four jumbo eggs - good to know when making custard, meringue, or omelettes)

Supermarket scales - how to use them to compare bags of produce, fresh or bruised, that are not sold per pound.

Vols. 2 and 3 (not sure where vol. 2 ends):

"Calculating Your Cost-Per-Muffin" (a chart of how much flour costs per cup, vanilla costs per teaspoon, etc - since prices change, this is best for comparing the RELATIVE cost of one type of breakfast vs. another)

"Creative Deprivation" (she said she restricts treats not to save money, primarily, but because "I just think there's nothing sadder than a jaded 8-year-old." She then describes how her kids will devour the rare ice cream treat "in absolute silence, savoring every drip. I was very proud of my brood for being able to appreciate this simple treat....")

On using freezers efficiently in your cooking

"Wealth, Poverty and Frugality" (on learning and teaching that frugality is smart, not shameful, and how to stop saying "we can't afford it" to kids instead of giving other explanations such as "It's not good for you/it's bad for the environment/etc." Or, in different cases: "Earn it yourselves, since you thought of it first, or wait for your birthday.")

"Three Steps to a Frito-Free Child"

On vegetarianism: One reader (in 1994) says to read "Laurel's Kitchen" and not "Diet for a Small Planet," unless you want to be turned off

"War and Peas" (about getting kids to eat what they're served and still have happy, laughter-filled mealtimes - her own words)

"Focus Before You Feast" (about curbing one's general appetites - sort of like the advice "don't shop when you're hungry")

Overripe banana recipes - my improvised favorite is frozen chunks of banana with milk, cocoa powder, and vanilla or raspberry syrup

"The Unmagical Time-Management Method" (about how managing one's life is often about what you AVOID doing, to save time)

"Wow Know-How" (about calculating how much something is worth to you)

Also, as Amy D. said, there's nothing "frugal" about 6 kids and a 100-year-old, 2,500-square-foot farmhouse attached to a 4,500-square-foot barn (this doesn't include the two attics, the carriage house, and the icehouse). So of course they had to scrimp as much as possible - but even so, they managed to give their kids so much stuff over the years - other than what they earned on their own - that in 1996:

"Alec (their oldest child) turned 13 this fall. Despite the pessimistic predictions about teenagers chafing at the yoke of frugality, he seems to have few wants. He has a science lab, a telescope, model rockets and a launching pad, an archery range, a metal detector, a like-new bike, cross-country skis, fishing gear, camping equipment, his own kitten and so on. When we asked him what he wanted for his birthday, all he could come up with was a new watch."

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 9:37:31 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I like cable TV,

I would too, if I liked paying for dozens of channels when I only care about two or three channels (like TCM). But to me, that would be a rip-off.

In the meantime, the library has hundreds of free movies.

Lenona.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2015 11:16 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 20:22:20 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:

>>> I'm sure you'd prefer your sister's asshole, which I'm certain you'd find
>>> more adorable, but fighting your way past those giant cellulite ass cheeks
>>> is just too much work.
>>>
>>> --Bryan
>>>

>> I'm wondering if you share your unique perverted fantasies with your son.
>>
>> I do hope not.

> Bryan is just an undiagnosed and in denial sufferer of Narcississtic
> Personality Disorder, considers himself to be an authority on
> everything, and is taking passive aggressive pot shots at a few people
> here on RFC.
>
> John Kuthe...

Get him some meds, stat!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/06/2015 9:12 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 09:51:46 -0400, Boron Elgar
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 18:19:30 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Lenona has very low standards, at least when it comes to food. Only a pig
>>> would use powdered milk if they had any reasonable choice. Amy Dacyczyn is
>>> a pig who merits being slopped like one.

>> Powdered milk is often a first choice ingredient for certain breads.

> Back in the days when I made yogurt, I used powdered milk to make a
> thicker product. I could say I was simulating Greek yogurt, but I'd
> never heard of it at that point. Now I keep powdered buttermilk in a
> corner of the refrigerator for those times I need buttermilk on the
> spur of the moment and have none to use.

Do you add it to chocolate cake batter?
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 18:19:30 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>Lenona has very low standards, at least when it comes to food. Only a pig
>would use powdered milk if they had any reasonable choice. Amy Dacyczyn is
>a pig who merits being slopped like one.

Why are your posts always so vague? Get to the point and just spit it
out, man.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2015 11:30 AM, Gary wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:

>>> Geez! WTH is that? No need to answer...I'll look it up but I have
>>> never heard of what you just said. Hee hee (tm dsil)
>>>
>>> PS - I just looked it up and I'm still not sure.

>> A gift

> Help me here. what is it exactly? :-o

I suspect he means what is taramosalata.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taramasalata

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> Oh, I forgot that they bring a lagniappe of taramosalata with the
>> bread. Just a couple of tablespoons. That's included in the $10.00.

> Geez! WTH is that? No need to answer...I'll look it up but I have
> never heard of what you just said. Hee hee (tm dsil)
>
> PS - I just looked it up and I'm still not sure.

Me either.