Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default North America

> wrote in message
> North America has 8% of the world's population but uses 1/3 of the
> world's resources and creates 1/2 of the world's non-organic waste.

aaaand LOVING IT!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

lucretiaborgia wrote:

> North America has 8% of the world's population but uses 1/3 of the
> world's resources and creates 1/2 of the world's non-organic waste.

I don't think that's true, do you have a citation? I'd guess that
China and India each create more waste/pollution. The US makes a
mighty effort to limit and clean up its pollution through several
policing agencies, no other country does anything to curtail their
pollution... Mexico is a huge offender regarding pollution too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2015 10:34 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> lucretiaborgia wrote:
>>
>> North America has 8% of the world's population but uses 1/3 of the
>> world's resources and creates 1/2 of the world's non-organic waste.

> I don't think that's true, do you have a citation? I'd guess that
> China and India each create more waste/pollution. The US makes a
> mighty effort to limit and clean up its pollution through several
> policing agencies, no other country does anything to curtail their
> pollution... Mexico is a huge offender regarding pollution too.

http://www.businessinsider.com/thing...es-best-2014-3

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/25/travel...s-does-better/

http://www.financedegreecenter.com/foreign-aid/
Since WWII the United States has led the developed world disbursements
of foreign aid almost every year.

— In 2012, the United States send $37,680,000,000 dollars overseas
for foreign aid

A few reasons:

–* National Security
— Counter-Terrorism focus since 2001
–* Commercial Interests
— Think of it as an investment
–* Humanitarian Concerns
— Less suffering makes a better world

What are the objectives?

Peace and Security
— $10,594,000,000 of the budget
—‹ Specific areas include
–* Counter-Terrorism
–* Stabilization/Security Sector Reform
–* Counter-narcotics

Investing in People
— $10,559,000,000 of the budget
—‹ Specific areas include
–* Health
–* Education
–* Social Services/Protection of Vulnerable

Governing Justly & Democratically
— $2,596,000,000
—‹ Rule of Law & Human Rights
—‹ Civil Society
—‹ Good Governance

Promoting Economic Growth
— $4,405,000,000
—‹ Agriculture
—‹ Environment
—‹ Infrastructure

Humanitarian Assistance
— $4,091,000,000
—‹ Protection, Assistance & Solutions
—‹ Disaster Readiness
—‹ Migration Management

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

> You must mean some of the third world countries to which NAs garbage
> is shipped - or perhaps India where they break up whole container
> ships on the beach for salvage, or Africa where they are overburdened
> with old computer junk and the little kids sift through it looking
> for the bits they can resell.

Yeah, and they send a lot of garbage here too. They call it merchandise,
which falls apart in a day or two, which then generates trash to send back
to them.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2015 5:59 PM, Cheri wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
>> You must mean some of the third world countries to which NAs garbage
>> is shipped - or perhaps India where they break up whole container
>> ships on the beach for salvage, or Africa where they are overburdened
>> with old computer junk and the little kids sift through it looking
>> for the bits they can resell.

> Yeah, and they send a lot of garbage here too. They call it merchandise,
> which falls apart in a day or two, which then generates trash to send
> back to them.
>
> Cheri

It's all true.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 16:59:41 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .

>> You must mean some of the third world countries to which NAs garbage
>> is shipped - or perhaps India where they break up whole container
>> ships on the beach for salvage, or Africa where they are overburdened
>> with old computer junk and the little kids sift through it looking
>> for the bits they can resell.

>Yeah, and they send a lot of garbage here too. They call it merchandise,
>which falls apart in a day or two, which then generates trash to send back
>to them.

They wouldn't send it if people didn't buy it.
So who's to blame for that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"taxed and spent" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> North America has 8% of the world's population but uses 1/3 of the
>> world's resources and creates 1/2 of the world's non-organic waste.

> aaaand LOVING IT!

Yep. We are consumers!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 16:59:41 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
> wrote in message
. ..

>>> You must mean some of the third world countries to which NAs garbage
>>> is shipped - or perhaps India where they break up whole container
>>> ships on the beach for salvage, or Africa where they are overburdened
>>> with old computer junk and the little kids sift through it looking
>>> for the bits they can resell.

>>Yeah, and they send a lot of garbage here too. They call it merchandise,
>>which falls apart in a day or two, which then generates trash to send back
>>to them.

> They wouldn't send it if people didn't buy it.
> So who's to blame for that?

In some cases, like my broom and dustpan, we have no choice but crap. I
looked online and couldn't find a set for sale anywhere that had all good
ratings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 19:08:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 16:59:41 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>Yeah, and they send a lot of garbage here too. They call it merchandise,
>>>which falls apart in a day or two, which then generates trash to send back
>>>to them.

>> They wouldn't send it if people didn't buy it.
>> So who's to blame for that?

>In some cases, like my broom and dustpan, we have no choice but crap. I
>looked online and couldn't find a set for sale anywhere that had all good
>ratings.

Some things are harder to find that others, true.
But IME, if you take the time, you can find quality products. Internet
really helps there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 21:24:33 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 10:31:47 +1000, Jeßus wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 16:59:41 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>Yeah, and they send a lot of garbage here too. They call it merchandise,
>>>which falls apart in a day or two, which then generates trash to send back
>>>to them.

>> They wouldn't send it if people didn't buy it.
>> So who's to blame for that?

>Walmart has not given us an option.

Well... point taken but it's merely a question of making an effort to
find alternatives - which is something most people are too lazy to do
(but not lazy enough to come up with all sorts of excuses why they
can't do that).

>They fooled customers into buying
>crap at low prices while driving the quality manufacturers out of
>business.

Yes, in the grand scheme of things, Walmart has done a lot of harm in
all sorts of ways. It is precisely the type of business model which
should be avoided.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 18:51:03 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"taxed and spent" > wrote in message
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>> North America has 8% of the world's population but uses 1/3 of the
>>> world's resources and creates 1/2 of the world's non-organic waste.

>> aaaand LOVING IT!

>Yep. We are consumers!

With no self-respect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2015 8:24 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Walmart has not given us an option.
>> Omelet wrote:

>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2015 8:32 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 10:43:39 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:

>>> I don't think that's true, do you have a citation? I'd guess that
>>> China and India each create more waste/pollution. The US makes a
>>> mighty effort to limit and clean up its pollution through several
>>> policing agencies, no other country does anything to curtail their
>>> pollution... Mexico is a huge offender regarding pollution too.
>>>

>> http://www.businessinsider.com/thing...es-best-2014-3
>>
>> http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/25/travel...s-does-better/
>>
>> http://www.financedegreecenter.com/foreign-aid/
>> Since WWII the United States has led the developed world disbursements
>> of foreign aid almost every year.
>>
>> ? In 2012, the United States send $37,680,000,000 dollars overseas
>> for foreign aid

> Official development assistance by country as a percentage of Gross
> National Income in 2013

Irrelevant.

Gross National Income is NOT a useful budgeting metric.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...ps-explain-it/

$37,680,000,000: Thats How Much the U.S. Spent on Foreign Aid in 2012 €”
Heres a Chart That Helps Explain It

http://www.financedegreecenter.com/foreign-aid/

Can we afford to be so generous?

— $37 billion dollars is€¦
—‹ 1% of Total US Budget
–* 20% €“ Social Security
–* 19% €“ Defense
–* 15% €“ income security
–* 13% €“ medicare
–* 10% €“ health
–* 6% €“ net interest
–* 6% €“ other
–* 4% €“ education & training
–* 3% €“ veterans
–* 3% €“ transportation
–* 1% €“ foreign aid

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2015 9:28 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 12:50:00 +1000, Jeßus wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 21:24:33 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> Walmart has not given us an option.

>> Well... point taken but it's merely a question of making an effort to
>> find alternatives - which is something most people are too lazy to do
>> (but not lazy enough to come up with all sorts of excuses why they
>> can't do that).
>>
>>> They fooled customers into buying
>>> crap at low prices while driving the quality manufacturers out of
>>> business.

>> Yes, in the grand scheme of things, Walmart has done a lot of harm in
>> all sorts of ways. It is precisely the type of business model which
>> should be avoided.

> Walmart was able to take advantage of a poor economy, when many people
> didn't have the option of buying good quality household goods and
> clothes. That just started a downward spiral.
>
> -sw

Bullshit LIE!

Wal Mart has steadily grown over decades.

There was no single "poor economy".

You are as full of shit as the Christmas goose.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 19:08:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 16:59:41 -0700, "Cheri" >
>>> wrote:
>>>
> wrote in message
m...

>>> They wouldn't send it if people didn't buy it.
>>> So who's to blame for that?

>>In some cases, like my broom and dustpan, we have no choice but crap. I
>>looked online and couldn't find a set for sale anywhere that had all good
>>ratings.

> Some things are harder to find that others, true.
> But IME, if you take the time, you can find quality products. Internet
> really helps there.

Hasn't helped in the case of the broom and dustpan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 10:08:34 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

> In some cases, like my broom and dustpan, we have no choice but crap. I
> looked online and couldn't find a set for sale anywhere that had all good
> ratings.

Try this:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#dust-pans/=xlr5de

You probably can have a good dustpan or a pretty dustpan, but not
a good, pretty dustpan. You'll have to decide what is the more
important characteristic for you.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 16:59:41 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..

>>> You must mean some of the third world countries to which NAs garbage
>>> is shipped - or perhaps India where they break up whole container
>>> ships on the beach for salvage, or Africa where they are overburdened
>>> with old computer junk and the little kids sift through it looking
>>> for the bits they can resell.

>>Yeah, and they send a lot of garbage here too. They call it merchandise,
>>which falls apart in a day or two, which then generates trash to send back
>>to them.
>>
>>Cheri

> You get what you pay for -

Yep, and they get the trash back...fair exchange.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 00:47:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 19:08:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

> wrote in message
om...

>>>In some cases, like my broom and dustpan, we have no choice but crap. I
>>>looked online and couldn't find a set for sale anywhere that had all good
>>>ratings.

>> Some things are harder to find that others, true.
>> But IME, if you take the time, you can find quality products. Internet
>> really helps there.

>Hasn't helped in the case of the broom and dustpan.

Naturally.

5 seconds of searching:
http://www.amazon.com/Impact-4216-Bl.../dp/B004MDM5CM
http://www.lifewithoutplastic.com/st...en-handle.html

I know, they're no good either. Right?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 22:56:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> One word - Wartmart - it got the race to the cheapest junk going.

>> They're certainly one of, if not the worst offender.

>Every retailers is selling the same imported crap. And we keep buying
>it. Much of the junk is specified and designed by US companies and made
>cheaply overseas. Then the consumer looks for the cheapest seller.
>WalMart is not the only culprit, but they are easy to blame.

Actually Walmart buys in such volume, and pays it's bills in such
timely fashion, that they dictate major improvements to the products
they sell... a toaster, a TV, a bottle of Heinz red, a tube of
Colgate, etc. will be made better than what's sold at other retailers.
Walmart is designated a "999" account which means they always pay
within 90 days, suppliers maintain a special division for Walmart,
whatever Walmart asks for is granted and they ship immediately. I
know for a fact that Colgate Palmolive has separate manufacturing
facilities, warehouses, a fleet of trucks, and offices just for
Walmart... other suppliers the same... no supplier wants to lose a
Walmart account.

The primary reason that most manufactured products are made in other
countries is simply because the US hasn't the skilled labor force
anymore to produce those products... also OSHA and the EPA won't allow
the US to compete... all US retailers sell imported products, they
have no choice... but Walmart maintains the scrictest QC.

I've already explained why so many have negative opinions about
Walmart. Walmart maintains very strict employment rules, drugging is
grounds for immediate dismissal, stealing is grounds for immediate
dismissal, don't show up for your shift you'd best have a good reason
or you're a goner. Those with family members that Walmart fired are
going to have negative opinions. I know several people who work for
Walmart, they love their job.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2015 9:04 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> The primary reason that most manufactured products are made in other
> countries is simply because the US hasn't the skilled labor force
> anymore to produce those products... also OSHA and the EPA won't allow
> the US to compete... all US retailers sell imported products, they
> have no choice... but Walmart maintains the scrictest QC.

Last week I met with a purchasing manager for a company making a product
here in CT. Some of their parts are made in China because he cah get a
better part at a much better price.

Low labor intensive parts can be made here as cheap, but high labor
intensity and robotic welded parts are better from China.. He can buy
everything in the US, but then his product would cost more and he cannot
sell it.

Two classic examples of WalMart can be read by googling
WalMart vs Vlasic pickle
http://www.fastcompany.com/47593/wal-mart-you-dont-know

WalMart vs Snapper mower.
http://www.fastcompany.com/54763/man...id-no-wal-mart

The people at Vlasic did not have the balls to just say "no".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14/06/2015 8:27 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/14/2015 9:04 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> The primary reason that most manufactured products are made in other
>> countries is simply because the US hasn't the skilled labor force
>> anymore to produce those products... also OSHA and the EPA won't allow
>> the US to compete... all US retailers sell imported products, they
>> have no choice... but Walmart maintains the scrictest QC.
>>

> Last week I met with a purchasing manager for a company making a product
> here in CT. Some of their parts are made in China because he cah get a
> better part at a much better price.
>
> Low labor intensive parts can be made here as cheap, but high labor
> intensity and robotic welded parts are better from China.. He can buy
> everything in the US, but then his product would cost more and he cannot
> sell it.

My microscope camera was actually made in Canada!!! But because of the
market,
it was priced in US$.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-06-14 12:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I've heard the opposite on things like TVs. They are made a bit cheaper
> for WalMart by leaving out some filters and the like. I've heard it
> about tools sold by the big box stores versus the local hardware store.
>
> To date, I've never seen hard evidence, such as two tools or TVs taken
> apart and compared. Until I do see it I'm rather skeptical

I have to wonder about some of the claims I have heard. I know the big
stores are selling cheap products for the benefit of those who find
value in buying cheap and replacing the stuff way too soon. I find it
hard to believe that they would cheapen some of the parts of any
particular model since, being a model, there are certain replacement
parts, so they have to be standard. A more likely scenario is that the
manufacturers make a special model for those guys.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14/06/2015 3:52 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-06-14 12:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> I've heard the opposite on things like TVs. They are made a bit cheaper
>> for WalMart by leaving out some filters and the like. I've heard it
>> about tools sold by the big box stores versus the local hardware store.
>>
>> To date, I've never seen hard evidence, such as two tools or TVs taken
>> apart and compared. Until I do see it I'm rather skeptical

> I have to wonder about some of the claims I have heard. I know the big
> stores are selling cheap products for the benefit of those who find
> value in buying cheap and replacing the stuff way too soon. I find it
> hard to believe that they would cheapen some of the parts of any
> particular model since, being a model, there are certain replacement
> parts, so they have to be standard. A more likely scenario is that the
> manufacturers make a special model for those guys.

Well we know that store brands of groceries are made by major
manufacturers but IME are somewhat inferior to the "name brands".
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 00:47:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 19:08:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"

m...

>>> Some things are harder to find that others, true.
>>> But IME, if you take the time, you can find quality products. Internet
>>> really helps there.

>>Hasn't helped in the case of the broom and dustpan.

> Naturally.
>
> 5 seconds of searching:
> http://www.amazon.com/Impact-4216-Bl.../dp/B004MDM5CM
> http://www.lifewithoutplastic.com/st...en-handle.html
>
> I know, they're no good either. Right?

That's just a dustpan and one that I can't use. I need one with a long
handle and would prefer a set with broom where the broom clips on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 10:08:34 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> In some cases, like my broom and dustpan, we have no choice but crap. I
>> looked online and couldn't find a set for sale anywhere that had all good
>> ratings.

> Try this:
>
> http://www.mcmaster.com/#dust-pans/=xlr5de
>
> You probably can have a good dustpan or a pretty dustpan, but not
> a good, pretty dustpan. You'll have to decide what is the more
> important characteristic for you.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Nope. Those are not what I want. I want an open design dustpan with a
broom that clips on. Dustpan has to have long handle. I have found that
the closed ones like shown there are not good for the kitchen. Stuff sticks
inside of them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 17:52:53 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I have to wonder about some of the claims I have heard. I know the big
> stores are selling cheap products for the benefit of those who find
> value in buying cheap and replacing the stuff way too soon. I find it
> hard to believe that they would cheapen some of the parts of any
> particular model since, being a model, there are certain replacement
> parts, so they have to be standard. A more likely scenario is that the
> manufacturers make a special model for those guys.

To the same end. The chain sets a price point and the manufacturer
meets it with a shoddy product composed of substandard parts.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 5:42:21 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:

> Well we know that store brands of groceries are made by major
> manufacturers but IME are somewhat inferior to the "name brands".
> Graham

I buy a lot of Kroger's house brand products and they're pretty
darn good with the exception of their canned lima beans. Two
or three times I've tried them just thinking it was a bad crop.
I'd wait about a year before trying them again but every single
time those limas were as hard as a rock no matter how long I
simmered them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2015 6:42 PM, graham wrote:

> Well we know that store brands of groceries are made by major
> manufacturers but IME are somewhat inferior to the "name brands".
> Graham

That's a rather sweeping statement. Some may be inferior, but much is
identical coming down the canning or packing line. I've seen it
firsthand in some plants. Only difference is the label.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14/06/2015 7:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/14/2015 6:42 PM, graham wrote:
>

>> Well we know that store brands of groceries are made by major
>> manufacturers but IME are somewhat inferior to the "name brands".
>> Graham
>>

> That's a rather sweeping statement. Some may be inferior, but much is
> identical coming down the canning or packing line. I've seen it
> firsthand in some plants. Only difference is the label.

Sweeping perhaps. But I once worked in a canning plant owned by Unilever
that canned and packaged peas. The Unilever brand was top quality. A
brand for a chain of shops owned by Unilever had about 10% of a
re-constituted pea (from dried) in it and the brand for Woolco had about
25% of the inferior product in it.
I've noticed that store brand canned pink salmon contains pieces from
near the tail whereas name brand is from towards the head.
In both cases the nutritional value was essentially the same but the
quality of the product was inferior.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2015 11:52 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-06-14 12:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> I've heard the opposite on things like TVs. They are made a bit cheaper
>> for WalMart by leaving out some filters and the like. I've heard it
>> about tools sold by the big box stores versus the local hardware store.
>>
>> To date, I've never seen hard evidence, such as two tools or TVs taken
>> apart and compared. Until I do see it I'm rather skepticalI

> I have to wonder about some of the claims I have heard. I know the big
> stores are selling cheap products for the benefit of those who find
> value in buying cheap and replacing the stuff way too soon. I find it
> hard to believe that they would cheapen some of the parts of any
> particular model since, being a model, there are certain replacement
> parts, so they have to be standard. A more likely scenario is that the
> manufacturers make a special model for those guys.

If you're a buyer like Costco, you can specify how a product is
manufactured and the price you want to pay for it. If it's something
like canned tuna, it's gonna be a better product than what you can find
in supermarkets. My guess is that a lot of manufacturers are happy to
get that gig even though they have to jump through hoops to accommodate
the buyer.

I don't know what Walmart's philosophy on the products they buy is but
they're probably more interested in a good enough product at a great
price point. My guess is that manufacturers are happy to get that gig
too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-06-14, Dave Smith > wrote:

> I have to wonder about some of the claims I have heard. I know the big
> stores are selling cheap products for the benefit of those who find
> value in buying cheap and replacing the stuff way too soon. I find it
> hard to believe that they would cheapen some of the parts of any
> particular model since, being a model, there are certain replacement
> parts, so they have to be standard. A more likely scenario is that the
> manufacturers make a special model for those guys.

Howzabout this scenario: HP subs out mobos to another co. To save
$$$$ for their bean counters, the sub-contracted company uses cheaper
components unbeknownst to HP. When this sub-standard substitution is
finally discovered, HP must either go along with the subcontractor or
create new must-follow specs for any subcontracted company. This
takes time and manpower for HP to go back and create these build
specs.

Happened all the time with the mega-corp I usata work for. My company
began by making their own PCBs. When they subbed PCBs out --the
greatest boondoggle of all time!-- the subbed companies all provided
cheaper PCBs than my company originally made, in-house. A real
headache, all around.

nb

North America sf[_9_] General Cooking 28 16-06-2015 10:35 PM
North America Cheri[_3_] General Cooking 10 15-06-2015 01:51 AM
North America Gary General Cooking 2 13-06-2015 04:43 PM
North America La Mirada General Cooking 0 13-06-2015 01:51 AM