General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 07-06-2015, 09:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,980
Default Old copper pan


I bought this at a community yard sale for .50 cents. I don't know
what this is, do you? It's made in Holland and it's all copper with a
porcelain handle.The inside bottom is convex, the pan itself is 7
inches long by 5 1/2 inches wide.
I'm cleaning it up, and man, does it ever need cleaning, it's going to
take a while to get it looking good.
I doubt I'll use it if I ever find out what it is, but I think it will
make the cutest kitchen decoration.

Link to photos of the pan
https://www.flickr.com/gp/koko181/PU088b

koko

--

Food is our common ground, a universal experience
James Beard

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 07-06-2015, 10:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 11,730
Default Old copper pan



"koko" wrote in message
...

I bought this at a community yard sale for .50 cents. I don't know
what this is, do you? It's made in Holland and it's all copper with a
porcelain handle.The inside bottom is convex, the pan itself is 7
inches long by 5 1/2 inches wide.
I'm cleaning it up, and man, does it ever need cleaning, it's going to
take a while to get it looking good.
I doubt I'll use it if I ever find out what it is, but I think it will
make the cutest kitchen decoration.

Link to photos of the pan
https://www.flickr.com/gp/koko181/PU088b


Bruce might know, he is Dutch.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 07-06-2015, 10:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,710
Default Old copper pan

On 6/7/2015 2:59 PM, koko wrote:

I bought this at a community yard sale for .50 cents. I don't know
what this is, do you? It's made in Holland and it's all copper with a
porcelain handle.The inside bottom is convex, the pan itself is 7
inches long by 5 1/2 inches wide.
I'm cleaning it up, and man, does it ever need cleaning, it's going to
take a while to get it looking good.
I doubt I'll use it if I ever find out what it is, but I think it will
make the cutest kitchen decoration.

Link to photos of the pan
https://www.flickr.com/gp/koko181/PU088b

koko

--

Food is our common ground, a universal experience
James Beard

Maybe an au gratin pan?

Cool looking no mater what it is, someone gave that away to you.

http://www.falkusa.com/falk-copper-c...au-gratin-pans


  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 08-06-2015, 01:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,980
Default Old copper pan

On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 15:11:42 -0600, La Mirada wrote:


On 6/7/2015 2:59 PM, koko wrote:

I bought this at a community yard sale for .50 cents. I don't know
what this is, do you? It's made in Holland and it's all copper with a
porcelain handle.The inside bottom is convex, the pan itself is 7
inches long by 5 1/2 inches wide.
I'm cleaning it up, and man, does it ever need cleaning, it's going to
take a while to get it looking good.
I doubt I'll use it if I ever find out what it is, but I think it will
make the cutest kitchen decoration.

Link to photos of the pan
https://www.flickr.com/gp/koko181/PU088b

koko

--

Food is our common ground, a universal experience
James Beard

Maybe an au gratin pan?

Cool looking no mater what it is, someone gave that away to you.

http://www.falkusa.com/falk-copper-c...au-gratin-pans

It's old and a mess. Lots of green and crud but I'm cleaning it up for
decoration. I was just curious as to what it might have been used for.
koko

--

Food is our common ground, a universal experience
James Beard
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 08-06-2015, 02:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 138
Default Old copper pan

I'm curious. Looking at the first photo, there are two seams around
the pan. Is the depth of the pan to the uppermost of the seams? Does
it, perhaps, have a double bottom? The bottom for the contents at the
upper seam and the bottom for the heat at the lower seam? It is just
that I can't figure out the utility of the two circumferential seams.

--bs

On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 13:59:56 -0700, koko wrote:


I bought this at a community yard sale for .50 cents. I don't know
what this is, do you? It's made in Holland and it's all copper with a
porcelain handle.The inside bottom is convex, the pan itself is 7
inches long by 5 1/2 inches wide.
I'm cleaning it up, and man, does it ever need cleaning, it's going to
take a while to get it looking good.
I doubt I'll use it if I ever find out what it is, but I think it will
make the cutest kitchen decoration.

Link to photos of the pan
https://www.flickr.com/gp/koko181/PU088b

koko



  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 08-06-2015, 02:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,710
Default Old copper pan

On 6/7/2015 6:01 PM, koko wrote:
On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 15:11:42 -0600, La Mirada wrote:


On 6/7/2015 2:59 PM, koko wrote:

I bought this at a community yard sale for .50 cents. I don't know
what this is, do you? It's made in Holland and it's all copper with a
porcelain handle.The inside bottom is convex, the pan itself is 7
inches long by 5 1/2 inches wide.
I'm cleaning it up, and man, does it ever need cleaning, it's going to
take a while to get it looking good.
I doubt I'll use it if I ever find out what it is, but I think it will
make the cutest kitchen decoration.

Link to photos of the pan
https://www.flickr.com/gp/koko181/PU088b

koko

--

Food is our common ground, a universal experience
James Beard

Maybe an au gratin pan?

Cool looking no mater what it is, someone gave that away to you.

http://www.falkusa.com/falk-copper-c...au-gratin-pans

It's old and a mess. Lots of green and crud but I'm cleaning it up for
decoration. I was just curious as to what it might have been used for.
koko


Surely, I suspect it would be au gratin - very similar shape.

  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 08-06-2015, 04:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,961
Default Old copper pan

In article , koko
wrote:

It's old and a mess. Lots of green and crud but I'm cleaning it up for
decoration. I was just curious as to what it might have been used for.
koko


The solder looks fresh. Solder usually has significant lead content.
It'll be a neat decoration. I wouldn't cook with it unless I had the
solder tested.

leo
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 08-06-2015, 05:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,710
Default Old copper pan

On 6/7/2015 9:54 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
In article , koko
wrote:

It's old and a mess. Lots of green and crud but I'm cleaning it up for
decoration. I was just curious as to what it might have been used for.
koko


The solder looks fresh. Solder usually has significant lead content.
It'll be a neat decoration. I wouldn't cook with it unless I had the
solder tested.

leo


So what's your take on its use?

Au gratin pan, something else?
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 08-06-2015, 05:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,980
Default Old copper pan

On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 20:06:00 -0500, B. Server
wrote:

I'm curious. Looking at the first photo, there are two seams around
the pan. Is the depth of the pan to the uppermost of the seams? Does
it, perhaps, have a double bottom? The bottom for the contents at the
upper seam and the bottom for the heat at the lower seam? It is just
that I can't figure out the utility of the two circumferential seams.

--bs

snippage

Link to photos of the pan
https://www.flickr.com/gp/koko181/PU088b

koko


Nope, no double bottom. I can't figure out the top seam. It's only
visible from the outside of the pan as the new photos will show.

I just added two new photos to the album
https://www.flickr.com/gp/koko181/e6XFw2

The bottom of the pan is a separate piece that was welded? to the
bottom seam.

There is still a lot of cleaning to do, and I'll never cook with it,
but I wanted to show the bottom of the pan and how it's a separate
piece and the curve of it.
The photo without the lens cap is the inside. The bamboo skewer is
resting on the top of the curve. That's how high it is.

The bottom of the pan, with the lens cap showing the curve. The lens
cap is no way close to the skewer.

I'm intrigued as to what in the heck it is.

koko

--

Food is our common ground, a universal experience
James Beard
  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 08-06-2015, 06:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,961
Default Old copper pan

In article , La Mirada
wrote:

On 6/7/2015 9:54 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:


The solder looks fresh. Solder usually has significant lead content.
It'll be a neat decoration. I wouldn't cook with it unless I had the
solder tested.

leo


So what's your take on its use?
Au gratin pan, something else?


I honestly don't have a clue. If the solder held up, you could slow
simmer a pork hock in it on a stove or put it in a wood oven. I
guess...
So let's call it a pork hock cooker and look no further ;-)

leo


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 08-06-2015, 07:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,661
Default Old copper pan

On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 2:00:03 PM UTC-7, koko wrote:
I bought this at a community yard sale for .50 cents. I don't know
what this is, do you? It's made in Holland and it's all copper with a
porcelain handle.The inside bottom is convex, the pan itself is 7
inches long by 5 1/2 inches wide.
I'm cleaning it up, and man, does it ever need cleaning, it's going to
take a while to get it looking good.
I doubt I'll use it if I ever find out what it is, but I think it will
make the cutest kitchen decoration.

Link to photos of the pan
https://www.flickr.com/gp/koko181/PU088b


Copper cooking pans need to be tinned if acidic foods might be cooked
in them, to avoid copper toxicity. (And molten tin will join copper together.) The interior bottom of this pan looks like it never saw tin. In fact, it
looks corroded.

Although short handled, I wonder if it could be a bed warmer. Then
the interior finish wouldn't matter.
  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 08-06-2015, 11:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 61,789
Default Old copper pan

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 23:13:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Although short handled, I wonder if it could be a bed warmer. Then
the interior finish wouldn't matter.


For starters, bed warmers have a lid.

--

sf
  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 08-06-2015, 01:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,661
Default Old copper pan

On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 3:26:08 AM UTC-7, sf wrote:
On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 23:13:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Although short handled, I wonder if it could be a bed warmer. Then
the interior finish wouldn't matter.


For starters, bed warmers have a lid.


Every pot has a lid -- old Dutch expression. Finding the lid for a particular
pot takes time.
  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 08-06-2015, 03:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,851
Default Old copper pan

On 6/7/2015 11:54 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
In article , koko
wrote:

It's old and a mess. Lots of green and crud but I'm cleaning it up for
decoration. I was just curious as to what it might have been used for.
koko


The solder looks fresh. Solder usually has significant lead content.
It'll be a neat decoration. I wouldn't cook with it unless I had the
solder tested.

leo



The solder is the least of the worries. You should not cook in copper
unless it has been tinned. Acid in food will cause the copper to be
ingested.
  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 08-06-2015, 04:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,710
Default Old copper pan

On 6/8/2015 12:13 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 2:00:03 PM UTC-7, koko wrote:
I bought this at a community yard sale for .50 cents. I don't know
what this is, do you? It's made in Holland and it's all copper with a
porcelain handle.The inside bottom is convex, the pan itself is 7
inches long by 5 1/2 inches wide.
I'm cleaning it up, and man, does it ever need cleaning, it's going to
take a while to get it looking good.
I doubt I'll use it if I ever find out what it is, but I think it will
make the cutest kitchen decoration.

Link to photos of the pan
https://www.flickr.com/gp/koko181/PU088b


Copper cooking pans need to be tinned if acidic foods might be cooked
in them, to avoid copper toxicity. (And molten tin will join copper together.) The interior bottom of this pan looks like it never saw tin. In fact, it
looks corroded.

Although short handled, I wonder if it could be a bed warmer. Then
the interior finish wouldn't matter.

No apparent lid to contain the coals, unlikely.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/antique-bed-warmer




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning copper Nexis General Cooking 23 01-10-2008 10:06 PM
Copper cookware Ed Pawlowski Cooking Equipment 7 14-08-2008 04:35 PM
utensiles and copper JWBH[_1_] General Cooking 7 19-03-2007 09:25 PM
Cuisinart Copper D.Currie General Cooking 9 07-12-2005 11:51 PM
Copper Sulfate Joe Giller Winemaking 9 13-01-2004 11:36 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017