Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Threats to bananas now:(

Six decades after a banana-killing fungus all but wiped out plantations
across Latin America, a new strain threatens to destroy global harvests.
A type of Fusarium wilt appeared this year in Australia's main
banana-growing state after spreading to Asia and Africa. While the fungus
has been around since the 1990s and has yet to affect top exporter Ecuador,
Fresh Del Monte Produce Inc. called it a potential "big nightmare." The
United Nations says the disease threatens supply, and Latin American growers
are taking steps to limit the risk.

The industry survived the demise of the top-selling Gros Michel banana in
the 1950s by switching to a different variety, called the Cavendish. But
this time, there's no ready substitute

"We don't have anything that can replace the Cavendish," said Gert Kema, a
plant research leader at Wageningen University in the Netherlands, who
studies banana diseases.

Some sobering points raised in the article:

Because most of the world's Cavendish bananas are clones, a disease
affecting one plant affects them all, the FAO says.

A lack of plant diversity isn't unique to bananas. After a history in which
more than 7,000 species were cultivated for human consumption, today just
four crops -- rice, wheat, corn and potatoes -- are responsible for more
than 60 percent of human energy intake, the UN's Food & Agriculture
Organization estimates.

When Gros Michel was killed off, the Cavendish proved immune to the fungus
strain, though the bananas were smaller, less hardy and not as tasty,
Koeppel said by phone from Los Angeles. It allowed the industry to recover,
but the new variety required shipping in smaller boxes rather than big
containers, he said. It took years to convert operations from farms to
retailers.

Article in full he

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/...D?ocid=U219DHP

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> Six decades after a banana-killing fungus all but wiped out plantations
> across Latin America, a new strain threatens to destroy global harvests.
> A type of Fusarium wilt appeared this year in Australia's main
> banana-growing state after spreading to Asia and Africa. While the fungus
> has been around since the 1990s and has yet to affect top exporter
> Ecuador,
> Fresh Del Monte Produce Inc. called it a potential "big nightmare." The
> United Nations says the disease threatens supply, and Latin American
> growers
> are taking steps to limit the risk.
>
> The industry survived the demise of the top-selling Gros Michel banana in
> the 1950s by switching to a different variety, called the Cavendish. But
> this time, there's no ready substitute
>
> "We don't have anything that can replace the Cavendish," said Gert Kema, a
> plant research leader at Wageningen University in the Netherlands, who
> studies banana diseases.
>
> Some sobering points raised in the article:
>
> Because most of the world's Cavendish bananas are clones, a disease
> affecting one plant affects them all, the FAO says.
>
> A lack of plant diversity isn't unique to bananas. After a history in
> which
> more than 7,000 species were cultivated for human consumption, today just
> four crops -- rice, wheat, corn and potatoes -- are responsible for more
> than 60 percent of human energy intake, the UN's Food & Agriculture
> Organization estimates.
>
> When Gros Michel was killed off, the Cavendish proved immune to the fungus
> strain, though the bananas were smaller, less hardy and not as tasty,
> Koeppel said by phone from Los Angeles. It allowed the industry to
> recover,
> but the new variety required shipping in smaller boxes rather than big
> containers, he said. It took years to convert operations from farms to
> retailers.
>

> Article in full he
>
> http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/...D?ocid=U219DHP

looks like we need a bit of GMO activity in the banana world.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"taxed and spent" > Wrote in message:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> Six decades after a banana-killing fungus all but wiped out plantations
>> across Latin America, a new strain threatens to destroy global harvests.
>> A type of Fusarium wilt appeared this year in Australia's main
>> banana-growing state after spreading to Asia and Africa. While the fungus
>> has been around since the 1990s and has yet to affect top exporter
>> Ecuador,
>> Fresh Del Monte Produce Inc. called it a potential "big nightmare." The
>> United Nations says the disease threatens supply, and Latin American
>> growers
>> are taking steps to limit the risk.
>>
>> The industry survived the demise of the top-selling Gros Michel banana in
>> the 1950s by switching to a different variety, called the Cavendish. But
>> this time, there's no ready substitute
>>
>> "We don't have anything that can replace the Cavendish," said Gert Kema, a
>> plant research leader at Wageningen University in the Netherlands, who
>> studies banana diseases.
>>
>> Some sobering points raised in the article:
>>
>> Because most of the world's Cavendish bananas are clones, a disease
>> affecting one plant affects them all, the FAO says.
>>
>> A lack of plant diversity isn't unique to bananas. After a history in
>> which
>> more than 7,000 species were cultivated for human consumption, today just
>> four crops -- rice, wheat, corn and potatoes -- are responsible for more
>> than 60 percent of human energy intake, the UN's Food & Agriculture
>> Organization estimates.
>>
>> When Gros Michel was killed off, the Cavendish proved immune to the fungus
>> strain, though the bananas were smaller, less hardy and not as tasty,
>> Koeppel said by phone from Los Angeles. It allowed the industry to
>> recover,
>> but the new variety required shipping in smaller boxes rather than big
>> containers, he said. It took years to convert operations from farms to
>> retailers.
>>

>> Article in full he
>>
>> http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/...D?ocid=U219DHP
>>

> looks like we need a bit of GMO activity in the banana world.
>
> why? So corporate pigs can dig their snouts into even more of our food supply?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"taxed and spent" > wrote:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> > Six decades after a banana-killing fungus all but wiped out plantations
> > across Latin America, a new strain threatens to destroy global harvests.
> > A type of Fusarium wilt appeared this year in Australia's main
> > banana-growing state after spreading to Asia and Africa. While the fungus
> > has been around since the 1990s and has yet to affect top exporter
> > Ecuador,
> > Fresh Del Monte Produce Inc. called it a potential "big nightmare." The
> > United Nations says the disease threatens supply, and Latin American
> > growers
> > are taking steps to limit the risk.
> >
> > The industry survived the demise of the top-selling Gros Michel banana in
> > the 1950s by switching to a different variety, called the Cavendish. But
> > this time, there's no ready substitute
> >
> > "We don't have anything that can replace the Cavendish," said Gert Kema, a
> > plant research leader at Wageningen University in the Netherlands, who
> > studies banana diseases.
> >
> > Some sobering points raised in the article:
> >
> > Because most of the world's Cavendish bananas are clones, a disease
> > affecting one plant affects them all, the FAO says.
> >
> > A lack of plant diversity isn't unique to bananas. After a history in
> > which
> > more than 7,000 species were cultivated for human consumption, today just
> > four crops -- rice, wheat, corn and potatoes -- are responsible for more
> > than 60 percent of human energy intake, the UN's Food & Agriculture
> > Organization estimates.
> >
> > When Gros Michel was killed off, the Cavendish proved immune to the fungus
> > strain, though the bananas were smaller, less hardy and not as tasty,
> > Koeppel said by phone from Los Angeles. It allowed the industry to
> > recover,
> > but the new variety required shipping in smaller boxes rather than big
> > containers, he said. It took years to convert operations from farms to
> > retailers.
> >

> > Article in full he
> >
> > http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/...D?ocid=U219DHP
> >

> looks like we need a bit of GMO activity in the banana world.

or maybe that's what started it

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod
tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim
veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea
commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate
velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint
occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt
mollit anim id est laborum.

Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem
accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab
illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt
explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut
odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione
voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum
quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam
eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat
voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam
corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur?
Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse
quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo
voluptas nulla pariatur?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2015 5:59 PM, La Mirada wrote:
> "taxed and spent" > Wrote in message:
>>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>> Six decades after a banana-killing fungus all but wiped out plantations
>>> across Latin America, a new strain threatens to destroy global harvests.
>>> A type of Fusarium wilt appeared this year in Australia's main
>>> banana-growing state after spreading to Asia and Africa. While the fungus
>>> has been around since the 1990s and has yet to affect top exporter
>>> Ecuador,
>>> Fresh Del Monte Produce Inc. called it a potential "big nightmare." The
>>> United Nations says the disease threatens supply, and Latin American
>>> growers
>>> are taking steps to limit the risk.
>>>
>>> The industry survived the demise of the top-selling Gros Michel banana in
>>> the 1950s by switching to a different variety, called the Cavendish. But
>>> this time, there's no ready substitute
>>>
>>> "We don't have anything that can replace the Cavendish," said Gert Kema, a
>>> plant research leader at Wageningen University in the Netherlands, who
>>> studies banana diseases.
>>>
>>> Some sobering points raised in the article:
>>>
>>> Because most of the world's Cavendish bananas are clones, a disease
>>> affecting one plant affects them all, the FAO says.
>>>
>>> A lack of plant diversity isn't unique to bananas. After a history in
>>> which
>>> more than 7,000 species were cultivated for human consumption, today just
>>> four crops -- rice, wheat, corn and potatoes -- are responsible for more
>>> than 60 percent of human energy intake, the UN's Food & Agriculture
>>> Organization estimates.
>>>
>>> When Gros Michel was killed off, the Cavendish proved immune to the fungus
>>> strain, though the bananas were smaller, less hardy and not as tasty,
>>> Koeppel said by phone from Los Angeles. It allowed the industry to
>>> recover,
>>> but the new variety required shipping in smaller boxes rather than big
>>> containers, he said. It took years to convert operations from farms to
>>> retailers.
>>>

>>> Article in full he
>>>
>>> http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/...D?ocid=U219DHP
>>>

>> looks like we need a bit of GMO activity in the banana world.
>>

> why? So corporate

PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65

Fraud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 21:22:33 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> Six decades after a banana-killing fungus all but wiped out plantations
> across Latin America, a new strain threatens to destroy global harvests.
> A type of Fusarium wilt appeared this year in Australia's main
> banana-growing state after spreading to Asia and Africa. While the fungus
> has been around since the 1990s and has yet to affect top exporter Ecuador,
> Fresh Del Monte Produce Inc. called it a potential "big nightmare." The
> United Nations says the disease threatens supply, and Latin American growers
> are taking steps to limit the risk.
>
> The industry survived the demise of the top-selling Gros Michel banana in
> the 1950s by switching to a different variety, called the Cavendish. But
> this time, there's no ready substitute

Wiki says there are 1000 varieties of bananas in the world, subdivided
into 50 groups. So all is not lost if Canvendish takes a hit and
consumers will finally get some banana diversity at the supermarket.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 21:22:33 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>> Six decades after a banana-killing fungus all but wiped out plantations
>> across Latin America, a new strain threatens to destroy global harvests.
>> A type of Fusarium wilt appeared this year in Australia's main
>> banana-growing state after spreading to Asia and Africa. While the fungus
>> has been around since the 1990s and has yet to affect top exporter
>> Ecuador,
>> Fresh Del Monte Produce Inc. called it a potential "big nightmare." The
>> United Nations says the disease threatens supply, and Latin American
>> growers
>> are taking steps to limit the risk.
>>
>> The industry survived the demise of the top-selling Gros Michel banana in
>> the 1950s by switching to a different variety, called the Cavendish. But
>> this time, there's no ready substitute

> Wiki says there are 1000 varieties of bananas in the world, subdivided
> into 50 groups. So all is not lost if Canvendish takes a hit and
> consumers will finally get some banana diversity at the supermarket.

I guess you didn't read that the reason that is the kind we get is because
they are the best keepers. There are other varieties but they don't
transport well at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 02:45:49 -0500 (CDT), La Mirada >
wrote:

> Ever do yourself with a frozen banana?

So,which rfc troll do we have here? I know it's not Casa.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 20:30:36 +1000, Bruce > wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 03:19:54 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 02:45:49 -0500 (CDT), La Mirada >
> >wrote:
> >

> >> Ever do yourself with a frozen banana?

> >So,which rfc troll do we have here? I know it's not Casa.

> Of course it is. Regardless, he'll be a nice addition to your
> collection. Do you swap with other people when you have duplicates?

Nope. He's not that kind of troll. He's here to make life miserable
for a select few and I'm not one of them.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 16:59:58 -0700, Malcom Mal Reynolds
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "taxed and spent" > wrote:

>> looks like we need a bit of GMO activity in the banana world.

>or maybe that's what started it

Monoculture is more to blame.

And perhaps you should read up on modern banana cultivation. Plants
are propagated by vegetative reproduction, which means each succeeding
generation is a clone and disease resistance does not arise.

I do not say that such practices are the most biologically beneficial,
in the long run, but before you start blaming this fungal Cavendish
susceptibility on GMO, maybe you should read up a bit about that, too.

"Lorem ipsum," indeed. You posted more drivel than you recognize.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2015 2:08 AM, sf wrote:

> Wiki says there are 1000 varieties of bananas in the world, subdivided
> into 50 groups. So all is not lost if Canvendish takes a hit and
> consumers will finally get some banana diversity at the supermarket.

The bad news is there is only one tree of each and it will be years
before they get the volume we have now.

The good news, maybe we will get some benanas with taste again. Seems
like most of the ones shipped green and processed by the markets are
lacking in flavor and texture.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 1:22:33 PM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:
> Six decades after a banana-killing fungus all but wiped out plantations
> across Latin America, a new strain threatens to destroy global harvests.
> A type of Fusarium wilt appeared this year in Australia's main
> banana-growing state after spreading to Asia and Africa. While the fungus
> has been around since the 1990s and has yet to affect top exporter Ecuador,
> Fresh Del Monte Produce Inc. called it a potential "big nightmare." The
> United Nations says the disease threatens supply, and Latin American growers
> are taking steps to limit the risk.
>
> The industry survived the demise of the top-selling Gros Michel banana in
> the 1950s by switching to a different variety, called the Cavendish. But
> this time, there's no ready substitute
>
> "We don't have anything that can replace the Cavendish," said Gert Kema, a
> plant research leader at Wageningen University in the Netherlands, who
> studies banana diseases.

The demise of the Cavendish has been some 20 years in the making. The
problem is that the Cavendish was the best fresh eating banana (taste,
yield, disease resistance) available at the time.

The other problem is that bananas are essential to food security for
millions of people around the globe. Banana trees produce the year around,
so they can be picked as needed, without having to be stored. Even if
your grain or other crop fails, you can sustain life with bananas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2015 1:45 AM, La Mirada wrote:
> sf > Wrote in message:
>> On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 21:22:33 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Six decades after a banana-killing fungus all but wiped out plantations
>>> across Latin America, a new strain threatens to destroy global harvests.
>>> A type of Fusarium wilt appeared this year in Australia's main
>>> banana-growing state after spreading to Asia and Africa. While the fungus
>>> has been around since the 1990s and has yet to affect top exporter Ecuador,
>>> Fresh Del Monte Produce Inc. called it a potential "big nightmare." The
>>> United Nations says the disease threatens supply, and Latin American growers
>>> are taking steps to limit the risk.
>>>
>>> The industry survived the demise of the top-selling Gros Michel banana in
>>> the 1950s by switching to a different variety, called the Cavendish. But
>>> this time, there's no ready substitute

>> Wiki says there are 1000 varieties of bananas in the world, subdivided
>> into 50 groups. So all is not lost if Canvendish takes a hit and
>> consumers will finally get some banana diversity at the supermarket.
>>
>> --
>>
>> sf
>>

> Ever do yourself with a frozen banana?

PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65

Fraud.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2015 4:19 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 02:45:49 -0500 (CDT), La Mirada >
> wrote:
>

>> Ever do yourself with a frozen banana?

> So,which rfc troll do we have here? I know it's not Casa.

It may be the one that goes by ...

Or it maybe Marty or the dwarf, there are so many to choose from!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2015 4:30 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 03:19:54 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 02:45:49 -0500 (CDT), La Mirada >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Ever do yourself with a frozen banana?

>> So,which rfc troll do we have here? I know it's not Casa.

> Of course it is.

No, it's not.

Grow up.

> Regardless, he'll be a nice addition to your
> collection. Do you swap with other people when you have duplicates?

Your flinty nature is showing again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2015 4:35 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 20:30:36 +1000, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 03:19:54 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>> So,which rfc troll do we have here? I know it's not Casa.

>> Of course it is. Regardless, he'll be a nice addition to your
>> collection. Do you swap with other people when you have duplicates?

> Nope. He's not that kind of troll. He's here to make life miserable
> for a select few and I'm not one of them.

Undeniably true.

Those who get their due have well earned it.

You, otoh, are a most pleasant and knowledgeable person to converse
with, one of the few bright lights here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2015 5:07 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 03:35:13 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>> Of course it is. Regardless, he'll be a nice addition to your
>>> collection. Do you swap with other people when you have duplicates?

>> Nope. He's not that kind of troll. He's here to make life miserable
>> for a select few and I'm not one of them.

> That attitude has caused a few problems in relatively recent history.

For those that have earned them, of course!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 21:07:22 +1000, Bruce > wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 03:35:13 -0700, sf > wrote:

> >> Of course it is. Regardless, he'll be a nice addition to your
> >> collection. Do you swap with other people when you have duplicates?

> >Nope. He's not that kind of troll. He's here to make life miserable
> >for a select few and I'm not one of them.

> That attitude has caused a few problems in relatively recent history.

Good.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 10:42:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 6/8/2015 2:08 AM, sf wrote:
>

> > Wiki says there are 1000 varieties of bananas in the world, subdivided
> > into 50 groups. So all is not lost if Canvendish takes a hit and
> > consumers will finally get some banana diversity at the supermarket.
> >

> The bad news is there is only one tree of each and it will be years
> before they get the volume we have now.
>
> The good news, maybe we will get some benanas with taste again. Seems
> like most of the ones shipped green and processed by the markets are
> lacking in flavor and texture.

FWIW, I prefer the smaller (less pretty) bananas more commonly found
in the Far East and Pacific Islands. People will adjust.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2015 10:10 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 21:07:22 +1000, Bruce > wrote:

>>> Nope. He's not that kind of troll. He's here to make life miserable
>>> for a select few and I'm not one of them.

>> That attitude has caused a few problems in relatively recent history.

> Good.

Heh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 09:45:41 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 16:59:58 -0700, Malcom Mal Reynolds
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "taxed and spent" > wrote:

> >> looks like we need a bit of GMO activity in the banana world.

> >or maybe that's what started it

> Monoculture is more to blame.
>
> And perhaps you should read up on modern banana cultivation. Plants
> are propagated by vegetative reproduction, which means each succeeding
> generation is a clone and disease resistance does not arise.
>
> I do not say that such practices are the most biologically beneficial,
> in the long run, but before you start blaming this fungal Cavendish
> susceptibility on GMO, maybe you should read up a bit about that, too.

He's saying it needs GMO modifications.... which like saying PIN
number, but at least it's clear.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2015 10:12 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 10:42:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 6/8/2015 2:08 AM, sf wrote:
>>

>>> Wiki says there are 1000 varieties of bananas in the world, subdivided
>>> into 50 groups. So all is not lost if Canvendish takes a hit and
>>> consumers will finally get some banana diversity at the supermarket.
>>>

>> The bad news is there is only one tree of each and it will be years
>> before they get the volume we have now.
>>
>> The good news, maybe we will get some benanas with taste again. Seems
>> like most of the ones shipped green and processed by the markets are
>> lacking in flavor and texture.

> FWIW, I prefer the smaller (less pretty) bananas more commonly found
> in the Far East and Pacific Islands. People will adjust.

Do you watch Martin Yan's Vietnam program on PBS?

He had a beautiful banana recipe that looks delicious:

http://yancancook.com/recipes/Salads..._blossom_salad

The blossoms are actually immature bananas that are peeled away from within:

http://www.thekitchn.com/ingredient-...nana-bl-120394

If you've ever seen a banana tree, perhaps you have noticed the
teardrop-shaped purple flower at the end of the banana fruit cluster.
This is the banana blossom, also called the banana heart. It is an
edible flower used in Southeast Asian and Indian cooking, where they
consider it a vegetable. You might be surprised that banana blossoms
have a lot in common with a more well-known and popular vegetable. Can
you guess what it is? Hint: while more widely known as a vegetable, it
is actually a flower!

Found in Asian grocery stores in the US, banana blossoms can be eaten
raw, and are also cooked in soups, stews, and curries. They can also be
steamed and served with dips, and peeled apart like an artichoke. Some
people claim the flower's petals taste like artichoke leaves. Similar to
artichokes, the fleshy petals and the "heart" of the banana blossom are
edible. And while most of us think of artichokes as vegetables, they are
actually flowers - they are large, un-bloomed thistles!

To prepare, slice off the bottom and peel off the dull-colored tough
outer petals. As you get deeper inside, the petals will start to fade in
color. Stop peeling away the petals when you reach the non-dull ones.
You may also see clusters of teeny, tiny baby bananas! These are called
"stick fruit." The yellow ones are edible, but throw out any brown ones.
When cut up, banana blossoms oxidize and turn brown fast, so work fast
or rub lemon juice on the cut parts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 10:17:50 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:

> Do you watch Martin Yan's Vietnam program on PBS?

Rarely anymore, but he was appointment television 30 years ago when my
DD was young because she absolutely LOVED watching him.

> He had a beautiful banana recipe that looks delicious:
>
> http://yancancook.com/recipes/Salads..._blossom_salad
>
> The blossoms are actually immature bananas that are peeled away from within:
>
> http://www.thekitchn.com/ingredient-...nana-bl-120394
>
> If you've ever seen a banana tree, perhaps you have noticed the
> teardrop-shaped purple flower at the end of the banana fruit cluster.

I know they can grow in certain parts of this city. I remember one
tree in particular, but didn't go past it very often and don't recall
ever seeing blossoms - just the fruit.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2015 10:23 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 03:19:54 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 02:45:49 -0500 (CDT), La Mirada >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Ever do yourself with a frozen banana?

>> So,which rfc troll do we have here? I know it's not Casa.

> If you don't think Casa Boner has the ability to turn on you like a
> rabid dog, then you're even more gullible than we all thought.

If you have to trade in fear tactics like that your reign of trollish
terror here is truly over.

> ObFood: Chicken Cordon

No one cares.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2015 10:34 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 10:17:50 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:
>
>> Do you watch Martin Yan's Vietnam program on PBS?

> Rarely anymore, but he was appointment television 30 years ago when my
> DD was young because she absolutely LOVED watching him.

The man is ageless, he just keeps on.

>> He had a beautiful banana recipe that looks delicious:
>>
>> http://yancancook.com/recipes/Salads..._blossom_salad
>>
>> The blossoms are actually immature bananas that are peeled away from within:
>>
>> http://www.thekitchn.com/ingredient-...nana-bl-120394
>>
>> If you've ever seen a banana tree, perhaps you have noticed the
>> teardrop-shaped purple flower at the end of the banana fruit cluster.

> I know they can grow in certain parts of this city. I remember one
> tree in particular, but didn't go past it very often and don't recall
> ever seeing blossoms - just the fruit.

This is a truly unique recipe and if I knew where to get the blossoms
I'd be all over it.

We shall see, someday...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 1:45:52 AM UTC-6, La Mirada wrote:
> sf > Wrote in message:
> > On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 21:22:33 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Six decades after a banana-killing fungus all but wiped out plantations
> >> across Latin America, a new strain threatens to destroy global harvests.
> >> A type of Fusarium wilt appeared this year in Australia's main
> >> banana-growing state after spreading to Asia and Africa. While the fungus
> >> has been around since the 1990s and has yet to affect top exporter Ecuador,
> >> Fresh Del Monte Produce Inc. called it a potential "big nightmare." The
> >> United Nations says the disease threatens supply, and Latin American growers
> >> are taking steps to limit the risk.
> >>
> >> The industry survived the demise of the top-selling Gros Michel banana in
> >> the 1950s by switching to a different variety, called the Cavendish. But
> >> this time, there's no ready substitute

> > Wiki says there are 1000 varieties of bananas in the world, subdivided
> > into 50 groups. So all is not lost if Canvendish takes a hit and
> > consumers will finally get some banana diversity at the supermarket.
> >
> > --
> >
> > sf
> >

> Ever do yourself with a frozen banana?
> --

You gross swine...get yourself to a shrink real quick-like.
As an unelected, unwanted Net nanny, you have failed big time.
Back to your institution, you nasty little TROLL.
=====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Boron Elgar > wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 16:59:58 -0700, Malcom Mal Reynolds
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "taxed and spent" > wrote:

> >> looks like we need a bit of GMO activity in the banana world.

> >or maybe that's what started it

> Monoculture is more to blame.
>
> And perhaps you should read up on modern banana cultivation. Plants
> are propagated by vegetative reproduction, which means each succeeding
> generation is a clone and disease resistance does not arise.

that can't be the case always, otherwise there wouldn't be other
varieties of banana

> I do not say that such practices are the most biologically beneficial,
> in the long run, but before you start blaming this fungal Cavendish
> susceptibility on GMO, maybe you should read up a bit about that, too.
>
> "Lorem ipsum," indeed. You posted more drivel than you recognize.
>
> Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2015 11:16 AM, Roy wrote:
> On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 1:45:52 AM UTC-6, La Mirada wrote:
>> sf > Wrote in message:

>>> Wiki says there are 1000 varieties of bananas in the world, subdivided
>>> into 50 groups. So all is not lost if Canvendish takes a hit and
>>> consumers will finally get some banana diversity at the supermarket.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> sf
>>>

>> Ever do yourself with a frozen banana?
>> --

> You gross swine...get yourself to a shrink real quick-like.
> As an unelected, unwanted Net nanny, you have failed big time.
> Back to your institution, you nasty little TROLL.
> =====

That is a forged post.

You may direct your ire at Marty or the dwarf.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2015 11:55 AM, La Mirada wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > Wrote in message:
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message

>>> Wiki says there are 1000 varieties of bananas in the world, subdivided
>>> into 50 groups. So all is not lost if Canvendish takes a hit and
>>> consumers will finally get some banana diversity at the supermarket.

>> I guess you didn't read that the reason that is the kind we get is because
>> they are the best keepers. There are other varieties but they don't
>> transport well at all.
>>

> You shouldn't keep them in the trunk of your car.
> They must be
> exposed to fresh air.

PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65

Fraud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2015 11:57 AM, La Mirada wrote:
> La Mirada > Wrote in message:
>> On 6/8/2015 4:19 AM, sf wrote:

>>> So,which rfc troll do we have here? I know it's not Casa.
>>>

>> It may be the one that goes by ...
>>
>> Or it maybe Marty or the dwarf, there are so many to choose from!
>>

> I did not post that! If you see Thunderbird/31.7.0 in the
> headers its fraud.

PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65

Fraud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2015 12:06 PM, La Mirada wrote:
> sf > Wrote in message:
>> On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 02:45:49 -0500 (CDT), La Mirada >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Ever do yourself with a frozen banana?

>> So,which rfc troll do we have here? I know it's not Casa.
>>
>> --
>>
>> sf
>>

> It's just those jerks frogging me again. if you see thunder bird
> in the headers it's a fraud.

PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65

Fraud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2015 12:08 PM, La Mirada wrote:
> Bruce > Wrote in message:

>>> Nope. He's not that kind of troll. He's here to make life miserable
>>> for a select few and I'm not one of them.

>> That attitude has caused a few problems in relatively recent history.
>>
>> --
>> Bruce
>>

> I'll let you know if there's any problems.

PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65

Fraud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2015 12:09 PM, La Mirada wrote:
> sf > Wrote in message:

>>> That attitude has caused a few problems in relatively recent history.

>> Good.
>>
>> --
>>
>> sf
>>

> Heh.

PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65

Fraud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2015 12:11 PM, La Mirada wrote:
> La Mirada > Wrote in message:

>>> Good.
>>>

>> Heh.
>>

> Fraud alert! If you see Thunderbird in the headers its a fake.

PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65

Fraud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2015 12:19 PM, La Mirada wrote:
> Sqwertz > Wrote in message:
>> On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 03:19:54 -0700, sf wrote:

>>> So,which rfc troll do we have here? I know it's not Casa.

>> If you don't think Casa Boner has the ability to turn on you like a
>> rabid dog, then you're even more gullible than we all thought.
>>
>> ObFood: Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich for Lunch.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> That's a very astute observation on your part. Maybe you're not so
> bad after all.
>
> I do find her sycophant attitude wearisome sometimes.

PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65

Fraud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2015 12:06 PM, La Mirada wrote:
> sf > Wrote in message:
>> On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 02:45:49 -0500 (CDT), La Mirada >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Ever do yourself with a frozen banana?

>> So,which rfc troll do we have here? I know it's not Casa.
>>
>> --
>>
>> sf
>>

> It's just those jerks frogging me again. if you see thunder bird
> in the headers it's a fraud.

PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65

Fraud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 10:39:14 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:

> On 6/8/2015 10:23 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 03:19:54 -0700, sf wrote:

> >> So,which rfc troll do we have here? I know it's not Casa.

> > If you don't think Casa Boner has the ability to turn on you like a
> > rabid dog, then you're even more gullible than we all thought.

> If you have to trade in fear tactics like that your reign of trollish
> terror here is truly over.

He remains miffed that I don't want to have anything to do with him
and yet, I like you when your meds are balanced. There are nice
people and fake nice people. He's the fake kind and it eats him up
that I can see through his act.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 12:21:36 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:

> On 6/8/2015 12:19 PM, La Mirada wrote:
> > Sqwertz > Wrote in message:

> >> If you don't think Casa Boner has the ability to turn on you like a
> >> rabid dog, then you're even more gullible than we all thought.
> >>
> >> ObFood: Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich for Lunch.
> >>
> >> -sw
> >>

> > That's a very astute observation on your part. Maybe you're not so
> > bad after all.
> >
> > I do find her sycophant attitude wearisome sometimes.
> >

> PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65
>
> Fraud.

Whatever/whoever it is, I did something to take it out. Not sure
what, but its posts are gone.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 11:58:00 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:

> On 6/8/2015 11:55 AM, La Mirada wrote:

> >> I guess you didn't read that the reason that is the kind we get is because
> >> they are the best keepers. There are other varieties but they don't
> >> transport well at all.
> >>

> > You shouldn't keep them in the trunk of your car.
> > They must be
> > exposed to fresh air.
> >

> PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65
>
> Fraud.

I see it now. X-Newsreader: PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 10:03:28 -0600, La Mirada wrote:

> On 6/8/2015 4:35 AM, sf wrote:

>>> Of course it is. Regardless, he'll be a nice addition to your
>>> collection. Do you swap with other people when you have duplicates?

>> Nope. He's not that kind of troll. He's here to make life miserable
>> for a select few and I'm not one of them.
>>

> Undeniably true.
>
> Those who get their due have well earned it.
>
> You, otoh, are a most pleasant and knowledgeable person to converse
> with, one of the few bright lights here.

It's really hard leading gullible people around on a leash like this
day in and day out. Don't think that I don't feel bad enough to slit
my wrists by the end of the day. That's why I take psychiatric
medications, and LOTS of them sometimes.

I am Andy's Evil Twin.

Brain Threats and Protectors - Infographic Dr. Jai Maharaj[_2_] Vegan 0 19-06-2015 09:48 PM
Bananas LadyJane General Cooking 5 04-09-2006 04:17 PM
Bananas LadyJane General Cooking 3 04-09-2006 01:39 AM
SOCKPUPPET ARMY SENDS EMAIL DEATH THREATS TO CHRIST: THE TIME OF CRUCIFIXION DRAWS NEAR!! Raymond Karczewski General Cooking 1 16-06-2006 09:39 PM
SOCKPUPPET ARMY SENDS EMAIL DEATH THREATS TO CHRIST: THE TIME OF CRUCIFIXION DRAWS NEAR!! Raymond Karczewski General Cooking 0 16-06-2006 12:09 AM