Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Boston: New nonprofit store sells donated surplus food

From WBUR. Some of the prices don't sound any better than what I can get at the discount rack at Market Basket (canned goods, in that section) or at Haymarket (produce; that's only on Fridays and Saturdays) but if I can get a deal on baking chocolate and walnuts, it might be worth a trip every two months or so. I wonder how many other cities have stores like this.

http://www.wbur.org/2015/06/04/dorch...-grocery-story

By Curt Nickisch

First paragraphs:

Is it worth buying groceries at a steep discount if they have a shorter shelf life? A new grocery store in Dorchester is finding out. It opened its doors Thursday with shelves full of surplus and aging food.

Called Daily Table, the nonprofit grocery store just outside of Codman Square is selling canned vegetables two for $1, a dozen eggs for 99 cents, and potatoes at 49 cents a pound.

"That's good. It's cheap!" Noemi Sosa says, marveling at the prices that for Boston are phenomenally low. Most of the stock is donated by food wholesalers and markets. It either didn't sell, or it's surplus.

"As you can see right here we've got a pile of bananas at 29 cents a pound," explains Doug Rauch, the former Trader Joe's president who founded Daily Table. "They're Chiquita bananas, there's no little black spots on them. Those probably have another three or four days before you start to go, 'Oh, banana bread!'"

Rauch was frustrated by the amount of nutritious food that went into dumpsters at Trader Joe's just because it was nearing its sell-by date. Meanwhile, millions of people don't eat very well. But Rauch had to fight the critics, who said he was just dumping food rejected by rich people on the poor...

(snip)

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 11:20:49 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> From WBUR. Some of the prices don't sound any better than what I can get at the discount rack at Market Basket (canned goods, in that section) or at Haymarket (produce; that's only on Fridays and Saturdays) but if I can get a deal on baking chocolate and walnuts, it might be worth a trip every two months or so. I wonder how many other cities have stores like this.

http://www.wbur.org/2015/06/04/dorch...-grocery-story

> By Curt Nickisch
>

> First paragraphs:
>
> Is it worth buying groceries at a steep discount if they have a shorter shelf life? A new grocery store in Dorchester is finding out. It opened its doors Thursday with shelves full of surplus and aging food.
>
> Called Daily Table, the nonprofit grocery store just outside of Codman Square is selling canned vegetables two for $1, a dozen eggs for 99 cents, and potatoes at 49 cents a pound.

People post regularly and proudly here about buying "used" meat, which
is in the mark down bin because it's at or near its sell by date - so
why would any of the above be a bad thing? Buy less and shop more
often, if saving money on food is a priority.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 11:20:49 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>> From WBUR. Some of the prices don't sound any better than what I can get
>> at the discount rack at Market Basket (canned goods, in that section) or
>> at Haymarket (produce; that's only on Fridays and Saturdays) but if I can
>> get a deal on baking chocolate and walnuts, it might be worth a trip
>> every two months or so. I wonder how many other cities have stores like
>> this.

http://www.wbur.org/2015/06/04/dorch...-grocery-story

>> By Curt Nickisch
>>

>> First paragraphs:
>>
>> Is it worth buying groceries at a steep discount if they have a shorter
>> shelf life? A new grocery store in Dorchester is finding out. It opened
>> its doors Thursday with shelves full of surplus and aging food.
>>
>> Called Daily Table, the nonprofit grocery store just outside of Codman
>> Square is selling canned vegetables two for $1, a dozen eggs for 99
>> cents, and potatoes at 49 cents a pound.

> People post regularly and proudly here about buying "used" meat, which
> is in the mark down bin because it's at or near its sell by date - so
> why would any of the above be a bad thing? Buy less and shop more
> often, if saving money on food is a priority.
>
> --
>
> sf

Except to me it's not "used" meat, it's reduced in price meat, which I
always look for, also S-Mart puts out a rack of discounted veggies, fruits,
etc. everyday at 10:00 A.M. lots of good buys there, but I'm not out at that
time as a rule, usually shop early around 6-7 or so. I buy a lot at the .99
Cent Store and the Dollar Tree store, lots of name brands marked a lot
lower, I love all those buys.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 11:20:49 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>>
>>> From WBUR. Some of the prices don't sound any better than what I can get
>>> at the discount rack at Market Basket (canned goods, in that section) or
>>> at Haymarket (produce; that's only on Fridays and Saturdays) but if I
>>> can get a deal on baking chocolate and walnuts, it might be worth a trip
>>> every two months or so. I wonder how many other cities have stores like
>>> this.

http://www.wbur.org/2015/06/04/dorch...-grocery-story

>>> By Curt Nickisch
>>>

>>> First paragraphs:
>>>
>>> Is it worth buying groceries at a steep discount if they have a shorter
>>> shelf life? A new grocery store in Dorchester is finding out. It opened
>>> its doors Thursday with shelves full of surplus and aging food.
>>>
>>> Called Daily Table, the nonprofit grocery store just outside of Codman
>>> Square is selling canned vegetables two for $1, a dozen eggs for 99
>>> cents, and potatoes at 49 cents a pound.

>> People post regularly and proudly here about buying "used" meat, which
>> is in the mark down bin because it's at or near its sell by date - so
>> why would any of the above be a bad thing? Buy less and shop more
>> often, if saving money on food is a priority.
>>
>> --
>>
>> sf

> Except to me it's not "used" meat, it's reduced in price meat, which I
> always look for, also S-Mart puts out a rack of discounted veggies,
> fruits, etc. everyday at 10:00 A.M. lots of good buys there, but I'm not
> out at that time as a rule, usually shop early around 6-7 or so. I buy a
> lot at the .99 Cent Store and the Dollar Tree store, lots of name brands
> marked a lot lower, I love all those buys.

You can blame Barb for that one I'm afraid I use it too)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
From WBUR. Some of the prices don't sound any better than what I can get at
[...]

---

If you are not brand loyal, you can get canned for around 60 to 65 cents a
can at Winco. That's the cheapest regular price I have seen. One store did
have some on sale for less with a coupon but there was a limit on how many
you could buy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > Wrote in message:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 11:20:49 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>>
>>> From WBUR. Some of the prices don't sound any better than what I can get
>>> at the discount rack at Market Basket (canned goods, in that section) or
>>> at Haymarket (produce; that's only on Fridays and Saturdays) but if I can
>>> get a deal on baking chocolate and walnuts, it might be worth a trip
>>> every two months or so. I wonder how many other cities have stores like
>>> this.

http://www.wbur.org/2015/06/04/dorch...-grocery-story

>>> By Curt Nickisch
>>>

>>> First paragraphs:
>>>
>>> Is it worth buying groceries at a steep discount if they have a shorter
>>> shelf life? A new grocery store in Dorchester is finding out. It opened
>>> its doors Thursday with shelves full of surplus and aging food.
>>>
>>> Called Daily Table, the nonprofit grocery store just outside of Codman
>>> Square is selling canned vegetables two for $1, a dozen eggs for 99
>>> cents, and potatoes at 49 cents a pound.

>> People post regularly and proudly here about buying "used" meat, which
>> is in the mark down bin because it's at or near its sell by date - so
>> why would any of the above be a bad thing? Buy less and shop more
>> often, if saving money on food is a priority.
>>
>> --
>>
>> sf

> Except to me it's not "used" meat, it's reduced in price meat, which I
> always look for, also S-Mart puts out a rack of discounted veggies, fruits,
> etc. everyday at 10:00 A.M. lots of good buys there, but I'm not out at that
> time as a rule, usually shop early around 6-7 or so. I buy a lot at the .99
> Cent Store and the Dollar Tree store, lots of name brands marked a lot
> lower, I love all those buys.
>
> Cheri

I have some used meat love as well especially for fat sausages . I
could use them all day!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > Wrote in message:

> > wrote in message
> From WBUR. Some of the prices don't sound any better than what I can get at
> the discount rack at Market Basket (canned goods, in that section) or at
> Haymarket (produce; that's only on Fridays and Saturdays) but if I can get a
> deal on baking chocolate and walnuts, it might be worth a trip every two
> months or so. I wonder how many other cities have stores like this.
>
> http://www.wbur.org/2015/06/04/dorch...-grocery-story
>

> By Curt Nickisch
>

> First paragraphs:
>
> Is it worth buying groceries at a steep discount if they have a shorter
> shelf life? A new grocery store in Dorchester is finding out. It opened its
> doors Thursday with shelves full of surplus and aging food.
>
> Called Daily Table, the nonprofit grocery store just outside of Codman
> Square is selling canned vegetables two for $1, a dozen eggs for 99 cents,
> and potatoes at 49 cents a pound.
>
> "That's good. It's cheap!" Noemi Sosa says, marveling at the prices that for
> Boston are phenomenally low. Most of the stock is donated by food
> wholesalers and markets. It either didn't sell, or it's surplus.
>
> "As you can see right here we've got a pile of bananas at 29 cents a pound,"
> explains Doug Rauch, the former Trader Joe's president who founded Daily
> Table. "They're Chiquita bananas, there's no little black spots on them.
> Those probably have another three or four days before you start to go, 'Oh,
> banana bread!'"
>
> Rauch was frustrated by the amount of nutritious food that went into
> dumpsters at Trader Joe's just because it was nearing its sell-by date.
> Meanwhile, millions of people don't eat very well. But Rauch had to fight
> the critics, who said he was just dumping food rejected by rich people on
> the poor...
>
> (snip)
>

> Lenona.
>
> ---
>
> If you are not brand loyal, you can get canned for around 60 to 65 cents a
> can at Winco. That's the cheapest regular price I have seen. One store did
> have some on sale for less with a coupon but there was a limit on how many
> you could buy.

How many was that?Did you screw the store out of as many as you
could get? Just because it's on sale doesn't mean you have to
screw the merchant out of every single one you can
get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > Wrote in message:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 11:20:49 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>>
>>> From WBUR. Some of the prices don't sound any better than what I can get
>>> at the discount rack at Market Basket (canned goods, in that section) or
>>> at Haymarket (produce; that's only on Fridays and Saturdays) but if I can
>>> get a deal on baking chocolate and walnuts, it might be worth a trip
>>> every two months or so. I wonder how many other cities have stores like
>>> this.

http://www.wbur.org/2015/06/04/dorch...-grocery-story

>>> By Curt Nickisch
>>>

>>> First paragraphs:
>>>
>>> Is it worth buying groceries at a steep discount if they have a shorter
>>> shelf life? A new grocery store in Dorchester is finding out. It opened
>>> its doors Thursday with shelves full of surplus and aging food.
>>>
>>> Called Daily Table, the nonprofit grocery store just outside of Codman
>>> Square is selling canned vegetables two for $1, a dozen eggs for 99
>>> cents, and potatoes at 49 cents a pound.

>> People post regularly and proudly here about buying "used" meat, which
>> is in the mark down bin because it's at or near its sell by date - so
>> why would any of the above be a bad thing? Buy less and shop more
>> often, if saving money on food is a priority.
>>
>> --
>>
>> sf

> Except to me it's not "used" meat, it's reduced in price meat, which I
> always look for, also S-Mart puts out a rack of discounted veggies, fruits,
> etc. everyday at 10:00 A.M. lots of good buys there, but I'm not out at that
> time as a rule, usually shop early around 6-7 or so. I buy a lot at the .99
> Cent Store and the Dollar Tree store, lots of name brands marked a lot
> lower, I love all those buys.
>
> Cheri

Speaking of used meat I am having a good wank right now ! Your
posts do get me hot !
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2015 5:49 PM, La Mirada wrote:
> "Cheri" > Wrote in message:
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> news

http://www.wbur.org/2015/06/04/dorch...-grocery-story

>>> People post regularly and proudly here about buying "used" meat, which
>>> is in the mark down bin because it's at or near its sell by date - so
>>> why would any of the above be a bad thing? Buy less and shop more
>>> often, if saving money on food is a priority.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> sf

>> Except to me it's not "used" meat, it's reduced in price meat, which I
>> always look for, also S-Mart puts out a rack of discounted veggies, fruits,
>> etc. everyday at 10:00 A.M. lots of good buys there, but I'm not out at that
>> time as a rule, usually shop early around 6-7 or so. I buy a lot at the .99
>> Cent Store and the Dollar Tree store, lots of name brands marked a lot
>> lower, I love all those buys.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> I have

PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65

Fraud alert.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2015 5:55 PM, La Mirada wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > Wrote in message:
>>
>> > wrote in message
>> From WBUR. Some of the prices don't sound any better than what I can get at
>> the discount rack at Market Basket (canned goods, in that section) or at
>> Haymarket (produce; that's only on Fridays and Saturdays) but if I can get a
>> deal on baking chocolate and walnuts, it might be worth a trip every two
>> months or so. I wonder how many other cities have stores like this.
>>
>> http://www.wbur.org/2015/06/04/dorch...-grocery-story
>>

>> By Curt Nickisch
>>

>> First paragraphs:
>>
>> Is it worth buying groceries at a steep discount if they have a shorter
>> shelf life? A new grocery store in Dorchester is finding out. It opened its
>> doors Thursday with shelves full of surplus and aging food.
>>
>> Called Daily Table, the nonprofit grocery store just outside of Codman
>> Square is selling canned vegetables two for $1, a dozen eggs for 99 cents,
>> and potatoes at 49 cents a pound.
>>
>> "That's good. It's cheap!" Noemi Sosa says, marveling at the prices that for
>> Boston are phenomenally low. Most of the stock is donated by food
>> wholesalers and markets. It either didn't sell, or it's surplus.
>>
>> "As you can see right here we've got a pile of bananas at 29 cents a pound,"
>> explains Doug Rauch, the former Trader Joe's president who founded Daily
>> Table. "They're Chiquita bananas, there's no little black spots on them.
>> Those probably have another three or four days before you start to go, 'Oh,
>> banana bread!'"
>>
>> Rauch was frustrated by the amount of nutritious food that went into
>> dumpsters at Trader Joe's just because it was nearing its sell-by date.
>> Meanwhile, millions of people don't eat very well. But Rauch had to fight
>> the critics, who said he was just dumping food rejected by rich people on
>> the poor...
>>
>> (snip)
>>

>> Lenona.
>>
>> ---
>>
>> If you are not brand loyal, you can get canned for around 60 to 65 cents a
>> can at Winco. That's the cheapest regular price I have seen. One store did
>> have some on sale for less with a coupon but there was a limit on how many
>> you could buy.
>>

> How many was that?

PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65

Fraud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2015 6:07 PM, La Mirada wrote:
> "Cheri" > Wrote in message:
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> news

http://www.wbur.org/2015/06/04/dorch...-grocery-story

>>> People post regularly and proudly here about buying "used" meat, which
>>> is in the mark down bin because it's at or near its sell by date - so
>>> why would any of the above be a bad thing? Buy less and shop more
>>> often, if saving money on food is a priority.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> sf

>> Except to me it's not "used" meat, it's reduced in price meat, which I
>> always look for, also S-Mart puts out a rack of discounted veggies, fruits,
>> etc. everyday at 10:00 A.M. lots of good buys there, but I'm not out at that
>> time as a rule, usually shop early around 6-7 or so. I buy a lot at the .99
>> Cent Store and the Dollar Tree store, lots of name brands marked a lot
>> lower, I love all those buys.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> Speaking of

PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65

Fraud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2015 6:23 PM, La Mirada wrote:
> Wrote in message:
>> From WBUR. Some of the prices don't sound any better than what I can get at the discount rack at Market Basket (canned goods, in that section) or at Haymarket (produce; that's only on Fridays and Saturdays) but if I can get a deal on baking chocolate and walnuts, it might be worth a trip every two months or so. I wonder how many other cities have stores like this.

http://www.wbur.org/2015/06/04/dorch...-grocery-story

>> By Curt Nickisch
>>

>> First paragraphs:
>>
>> Is it worth buying groceries at a steep discount if they have a shorter shelf life? A new grocery store in Dorchester is finding out. It opened its doors Thursday with shelves full of surplus and aging food.
>>
>> Called Daily Table, the nonprofit grocery store just outside of Codman Square is selling canned vegetables two for $1, a dozen eggs for 99 cents, and potatoes at 49 cents a pound.
>>
>> "That's good. It's cheap!" Noemi Sosa says, marveling at the prices that for Boston are phenomenally low. Most of the stock is donated by food wholesalers and markets. It either didn't sell, or it's surplus.
>>
>> "As you can see right here we've got a pile of bananas at 29 cents a pound," explains Doug Rauch, the former Trader Joe's president who founded Daily Table. "They're Chiquita bananas, there's no little black spots on them. Those probably have another three or four days before you start to go, 'Oh, banana bread!'"
>>
>> Rauch was frustrated by the amount of nutritious food that went into dumpsters at Trader Joe's just because it was nearing its sell-by date. Meanwhile, millions of people don't eat very well. But Rauch had to fight the critics, who said he was just dumping food rejected by rich people on the poor...
>>
>> (snip)
>>

>> Lenona.
>>

> That's just

PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65

Fraud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"La Mirada" wrote in message ...

>PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65

>Fraud alert.

Picking on Asians again, bigot?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2015 8:03 PM, Cabrito del Pendejo wrote:

> "La Mirada" wrote in message ...
>

>> PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65

>> Fraud alert.

> Picking on Asians again, bigot?

Shitlips, learn to smooch Sqwerty's headers, you sycophant.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2015 9:18 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 11:20:49 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>> From WBUR. Some of the prices don't sound any better than what I can
>> get at the discount rack at Market Basket (canned goods, in that
>> section) or at Haymarket (produce; that's only on Fridays and
>> Saturdays) but if I can get a deal on baking chocolate and walnuts,
>> it might be worth a trip every two months or so. I wonder how many
>> other cities have stores like this.

http://www.wbur.org/2015/06/04/dorch...-grocery-story

> So basically they're selling food that would normally be donated to
> food banks and given away for free.
>
> -sw

Don't be a dog in the manger.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 21:22:19 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> >
> > "sf" > wrote in message
> > news

http://www.wbur.org/2015/06/04/dorch...-grocery-story

> >> People post regularly and proudly here about buying "used" meat, which
> >> is in the mark down bin because it's at or near its sell by date - so
> >> why would any of the above be a bad thing? Buy less and shop more
> >> often, if saving money on food is a priority.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> sf

> > Except to me it's not "used" meat, it's reduced in price meat, which I
> > always look for, also S-Mart puts out a rack of discounted veggies,
> > fruits, etc. everyday at 10:00 A.M. lots of good buys there, but I'm not
> > out at that time as a rule, usually shop early around 6-7 or so. I buy a
> > lot at the .99 Cent Store and the Dollar Tree store, lots of name brands
> > marked a lot lower, I love all those buys.

> You can blame Barb for that one I'm afraid I use it too)

I hate that term. The only reason I used it is because that's what so
many here say and I was making a point.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 11:20:51 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> From WBUR. Some of the prices don't sound any better than what I can get at the discount rack at Market Basket (canned goods, in that section) or at Haymarket (produce; that's only on Fridays and Saturdays) but if I can get a deal on baking chocolate and walnuts, it might be worth a trip every two months or so. I wonder how many other cities have stores like this.
>
> http://www.wbur.org/2015/06/04/dorch...-grocery-story

I don't understand why it is located in Dorchester -- this is cheap
food for people on tight budgets, but who are not officially poor.

I know when I buy groceries in an Asian supermarket I best cook it up
within a few days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 12:45:31 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

snip
>Except to me it's not "used" meat, it's reduced in price meat, which I
>always look for, also S-Mart puts out a rack of discounted veggies, fruits,
>etc. everyday at 10:00 A.M. lots of good buys there, but I'm not out at that
>time as a rule, usually shop early around 6-7 or so. I buy a lot at the .99
>Cent Store and the Dollar Tree store, lots of name brands marked a lot
>lower, I love all those buys.
>
>Cheri

Several recipes that my mother typed out for me when I was a brand new
bride have the direction to shop in the late afternoon on Saturdays
when produce was marked down. (there were Blue laws then)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2015 1:40 AM, La Mirada wrote:
> "Ophelia" > Wrote in message:
>>

>> "Cheri" > wrote in message

http://www.wbur.org/2015/06/04/dorch...-grocery-story

>>> Except to me it's not "used" meat, it's reduced in price meat, which I
>>> always look for, also S-Mart puts out a rack of discounted veggies,
>>> fruits, etc. everyday at 10:00 A.M. lots of good buys there, but I'm not
>>> out at that time as a rule, usually shop early around 6-7 or so. I buy a
>>> lot at the .99 Cent Store and the Dollar Tree store, lots of name brands
>>> marked a lot lower, I love all those buys.

>> You can blame Barb for that one I'm afraid I use it too)
>>

>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
>>

> You use used meat ?

PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65

Fraud.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2015 10:44 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 21:03:07 -0500, Cabrito del Pendejo wrote:
>
>> "La Mirada" wrote in message ...
>>
>>> PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65

>>> Fraud alert.

>> Picking on Asians again, bigot?

> His psychosis has finally progressed enough to make him unaware of his
> multiple personalities.
>
> -sw

Your joint frogging is fooling only yourselves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 10:56:07 -0600, La Mirada wrote:

> On 6/8/2015 10:44 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Picking on Asians again, bigot?

>> His psychosis has finally progressed enough to make him unaware of his
>> multiple personalities.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Your joint frogging is fooling only yourselves.

Your powers of deduction have eluded you again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2015 11:46 AM, Casa Bona wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 10:56:07 -0600, La Mirada wrote:

>>> His psychosis has finally progressed enough to make him unaware of his
>>> multiple personalities.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> Your joint frogging is fooling only yourselves.

> Your powers of deduction have eluded you again.

-yaaaawn-
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 2:20:51 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> From WBUR. Some of the prices don't sound any better than what I can get at the discount rack at Market Basket (canned goods, in that section) or at Haymarket (produce; that's only on Fridays and Saturdays) but if I can get a deal on baking chocolate and walnuts, it might be worth a trip every two months or so. I wonder how many other cities have stores like this.
>
> http://www.wbur.org/2015/06/04/dorch...-grocery-story
>

> By Curt Nickisch
>

> First paragraphs:
>
> Is it worth buying groceries at a steep discount if they have a shorter shelf life? A new grocery store in Dorchester is finding out. It opened its doors Thursday with shelves full of surplus and aging food.
>
> Called Daily Table, the nonprofit grocery store just outside of Codman Square is selling canned vegetables two for $1, a dozen eggs for 99 cents, and potatoes at 49 cents a pound.
>
> "That's good. It's cheap!" Noemi Sosa says, marveling at the prices that for Boston are phenomenally low. Most of the stock is donated by food wholesalers and markets. It either didn't sell, or it's surplus.
>
> "As you can see right here we've got a pile of bananas at 29 cents a pound," explains Doug Rauch, the former Trader Joe's president who founded Daily Table. "They're Chiquita bananas, there's no little black spots on them. Those probably have another three or four days before you start to go, 'Oh, banana bread!'"
>
> Rauch was frustrated by the amount of nutritious food that went into dumpsters at Trader Joe's just because it was nearing its sell-by date. Meanwhile, millions of people don't eat very well. But Rauch had to fight the critics, who said he was just dumping food rejected by rich people on the poor....

Another article about Daily Table, from today's Boston Globe:

<http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/06/13/dorchester-daily-table-emporium-cleverly-reuses-food-waste/bhZZSacW4xqaij5UrkeKbM/story.html#>

The assertion that they're "selling food that ought to be given out free"
is akin to judging charities solely on how low their overhead expenses are.

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 7:07:26 PM UTC-5, La Mirada wrote:
> "Cheri" > Wrote in message:
> >
> > "sf" > wrote in message
> > news

http://www.wbur.org/2015/06/04/dorch...-grocery-story

> >> People post regularly and proudly here about buying "used" meat, which
> >> is in the mark down bin because it's at or near its sell by date - so
> >> why would any of the above be a bad thing? Buy less and shop more
> >> often, if saving money on food is a priority.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> sf

> > Except to me it's not "used" meat, it's reduced in price meat, which I
> > always look for, also S-Mart puts out a rack of discounted veggies, fruits,
> > etc. everyday at 10:00 A.M. lots of good buys there, but I'm not out at that
> > time as a rule, usually shop early around 6-7 or so. I buy a lot at the .99
> > Cent Store and the Dollar Tree store, lots of name brands marked a lot
> > lower, I love all those buys.
> >
> > Cheri
> >

> Speaking of used meat I am having a good wank right now ! Your
> posts do get me hot !

Usually you fantasize about banging the behemoth, and get an extra kick
out of knowing that you got to have what Steve didn't.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 04:23:53 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

> On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 7:07:26 PM UTC-5, La Mirada wrote:
> > >

> > Speaking of used meat I am having a good wank right now ! Your
> > posts do get me hot !

> Usually you fantasize about banging the behemoth, and get an extra kick
> out of knowing that you got to have what Steve didn't.

That one was the fake/frogger/whatever

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2015 5:23 AM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 7:07:26 PM UTC-5, La Mirada wrote:
>> "Cheri" > Wrote in message:

http://www.wbur.org/2015/06/04/dorch...-grocery-story

>>> Except to me it's not "used" meat, it's reduced in price meat, which I
>>> always look for, also S-Mart puts out a rack of discounted veggies, fruits,
>>> etc. everyday at 10:00 A.M. lots of good buys there, but I'm not out at that
>>> time as a rule, usually shop early around 6-7 or so. I buy a lot at the .99
>>> Cent Store and the Dollar Tree store, lots of name brands marked a lot
>>> lower, I love all those buys.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>

>> Speaking of used meat I am having a good wank right now ! Your
>> posts do get me hot !

> Usually you fantasize about banging the behemoth, and get an extra kick
> out of knowing that you got to have what Steve didn't.
>
> --Bryan

You moron:

PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65

Fraud.

California Wine Grape Surplus shbailey Winemaking 0 11-07-2009 02:00 AM
Pricing, publicity for wine sold by nonprofit charity at auction Claire[_1_] Wine 3 16-02-2009 11:53 AM
Medicine Assistance Is Donated To The Uninsured By AmericanConsultants Rx aaflsahc Historic 0 05-12-2007 09:35 AM
beer & food in Boston martyn dawe Beer 4 15-07-2004 07:19 PM
surplus of tomatoes gardener Preserving 16 27-03-2004 09:09 PM