Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default B/F Cereal

I was going to buy a packet of Post bran cereal the other day but balked
at the price. It appears to have *doubled* in the last ~3 years.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
>I was going to buy a packet of Post bran cereal the other day but balked at
>the price. It appears to have *doubled* in the last ~3 years.
> Graham

Cheapest store overall for cereal is Walmart. At least in this area.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 20:27:31 -0600, graham > wrote:

> I was going to buy a packet of Post bran cereal the other day but balked
> at the price. It appears to have *doubled* in the last ~3 years.
> Graham

The grocery store checked commented just today that prices are going
up fast. Honestly, I don't even want to know the details anymore.
Just hand me the bill and I'll pay it. That said, I did check the
price of a 16 oz jar of honey today (no shelf tag, they said it was a
new item). It's a California product and only $5.99! I didn't buy it
because I'd just bought honey from Trader Joe's. Now I'm thinking
I'll return the TJ's honey unopened and buy this one.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 9:27:34 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:

> I was going to buy a packet of Post bran cereal the other day but balked
> at the price. It appears to have *doubled* in the last ~3 years.
> Graham

A major saver on cereal is buying the store brand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rite Aid has some kind of name brand cereal on sale every week for about $2.50 or less, I get all my cereal there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 9:27:34 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:
>>
>> I was going to buy a packet of Post bran cereal the other day but balked
>> at the price. It appears to have *doubled* in the last ~3 years.
>> Graham
>>

> A major saver on cereal is buying the store brand.

Yeah but that kind is often loaded with crap or doesn't taste good. Not that
I don't think that most cereal no matter the brand is not loaded with
crap...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 5:17:34 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
> > On Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 9:27:34 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:
> >>
> >> I was going to buy a packet of Post bran cereal the other day but balked
> >> at the price. It appears to have *doubled* in the last ~3 years.
> >> Graham
> >>

> > A major saver on cereal is buying the store brand.

> Yeah but that kind is often loaded with crap or doesn't taste good. Not that
> I don't think that most cereal no matter the brand is not loaded with
> crap...

No, it's not. If you take the time to read the box you will
see the store brand matches the ingredients of the big name
cereal companies ingredient for ingredient.

Why do you think they place the name brand cereal at eye level?
IF you pay attention you will see the store brand is usually
on the bottom shelf.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 10:27:34 PM UTC-4, graham wrote:
> I was going to buy a packet of Post bran cereal the other day but balked
> at the price. It appears to have *doubled* in the last ~3 years.
> Graham
> --

I wonder if barley flake hot cereal would be good?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 10:27:34 PM UTC-4, graham wrote:
> I was going to buy a packet of Post bran cereal the other day but balked
> at the price. It appears to have *doubled* in the last ~3 years.
> Graham
> --

I don't like Post bran flakes or raisin bran.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 9:51:21 AM UTC-5, wrote:

> I don't like Post bran flakes or raisin bran.

I'm not crazy about bran flakes and raisin bran is the
same thing except it does have raisins. The raisins
are what makes it tolerable to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-06-06 10:27 PM, graham wrote:
> I was going to buy a packet of Post bran cereal the other day but balked
> at the price. It appears to have *doubled* in the last ~3 years.

Most cereals have at least doubled in the last few years. I usually buy
Shredded Wheat. A few years ago the large size had 24 biscuits and then
the repackaged it to make it look the same size but the new box has only
18 biscuits, but the price remained the same. Now the stuff is selling
for $4.99 per box in most stores. I make monthly trips to local discount
grocery where it is usually $3.99 but often on sale for $2.99, and
sometimes only $2.49.

Sometimes I like Shreddies for change, but I get the store brands, which
are just as good as the real McCoy. I used to occasionally treat myself
to Frosted Flakes, but would get the store brand, which I thought was
much better tasting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 10:07:34 AM UTC-4, wrote:

> No, it's not. If you take the time to read the box you will
> see the store brand matches the ingredients of the big name
> cereal companies ingredient for ingredient.

Not always. Cheerios are oats. Store brand oatie-ohs
had wheat, too. It's been a while since I made that
mistake, but the store I shopped at wasn't big enough to
have it's own store brands. This probably was Our
Family brand, which (like Spartan) is the quasi-generic
brand for small grocery chains.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/06/2015 11:49 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 20:27:31 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
>> I was going to buy a packet of Post bran cereal the other day but balked
>> at the price. It appears to have *doubled* in the last ~3 years.
>> Graham

> The grocery store checked commented just today that prices are going
> up fast. Honestly, I don't even want to know the details anymore.
> Just hand me the bill and I'll pay it. That said, I did check the
> price of a 16 oz jar of honey today (no shelf tag, they said it was a
> new item). It's a California product and only $5.99! I didn't buy it
> because I'd just bought honey from Trader Joe's. Now I'm thinking
> I'll return the TJ's honey unopened and buy this one.

Honey prices have increased due to the prevalence of Colony Collapse
that has now been diagnosed as the result of nicotinioid sprays.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/06/2015 8:27 PM, graham wrote:
> I was going to buy a packet of Post bran cereal the other day but balked
> at the price. It appears to have *doubled* in the last ~3 years.
> Graham

The price here is C$6/box. I checked another s/m this morning when I
picked up some things for a BBQ and their FP was C$6.15. However, it was
on special for C$3.50 and if I wanted to buy 4 packets it was priced at
a stool-dropping C$2.50 !!!!!!!!
Loss leader? Hardly, unless constipation is endemic:-)
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> Why do you think they place the name brand cereal at eye level?
> IF you pay attention you will see the store brand is usually
> on the bottom shelf.

Store brand is very often just as good and maybe even the same in a
different package.

Not always though. A few of them are very inferior.

One ex: Essential-everyday mayo is horrible slime. Don't ever buy
that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rite Aid doesn't have a huge selection of cereal but they do have Kelloggs raisin bran, Post shredded wheat, frosted miniwheats, cheerios, honey clusters fiber one and great grains.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2015 12:22 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I will never eat a flake of Golden Graham or a Honeycomb pentagram
> ever again unless it comes on little squares of paper.
>
> -sw
>> Omelet wrote:

>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with.
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> through vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies
> to deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take
> their meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 09:55:00 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 06/06/2015 11:49 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 20:27:31 -0600, graham > wrote:
>>
>>> I was going to buy a packet of Post bran cereal the other day but balked
>>> at the price. It appears to have *doubled* in the last ~3 years.
>>> Graham

>> The grocery store checked commented just today that prices are going
>> up fast. Honestly, I don't even want to know the details anymore.
>> Just hand me the bill and I'll pay it. That said, I did check the
>> price of a 16 oz jar of honey today (no shelf tag, they said it was a
>> new item). It's a California product and only $5.99! I didn't buy it
>> because I'd just bought honey from Trader Joe's. Now I'm thinking
>> I'll return the TJ's honey unopened and buy this one.
>>

>Honey prices have increased due to the prevalence of Colony Collapse
>that has now been diagnosed as the result of nicotinioid sprays.
>Graham

Really? I haven't kept up with that like I should have. Thanks, I'll
check.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/06/2015 11:08 AM, Janet B wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 09:55:00 -0600, graham > wrote:

>>> The grocery store checked commented just today that prices are going
>>> up fast. Honestly, I don't even want to know the details anymore.
>>> Just hand me the bill and I'll pay it. That said, I did check the
>>> price of a 16 oz jar of honey today (no shelf tag, they said it was a
>>> new item). It's a California product and only $5.99! I didn't buy it
>>> because I'd just bought honey from Trader Joe's. Now I'm thinking
>>> I'll return the TJ's honey unopened and buy this one.
>>>

>> Honey prices have increased due to the prevalence of Colony Collapse
>> that has now been diagnosed as the result of nicotinioid sprays.
>> Graham

> Really? I haven't kept up with that like I should have. Thanks, I'll
> check.
> Janet US

Sorry but I should have put an "almost certainly" in there for the price
increase.
However, colony collapse has been a very serious problem for the last
few years.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 5:17:34 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message

>> > A major saver on cereal is buying the store brand.

>> Yeah but that kind is often loaded with crap or doesn't taste good. Not
>> that
>> I don't think that most cereal no matter the brand is not loaded with
>> crap...
>>

> No, it's not. If you take the time to read the box you will
> see the store brand matches the ingredients of the big name
> cereal companies ingredient for ingredient.

Oh, I have. And in the ones that I looked at, they don't. The store brand
had extra stuff in there.

> Why do you think they place the name brand cereal at eye level?
> IF you pay attention you will see the store brand is usually
> on the bottom shelf.

Dur. You're forgetting that I worked in retail. I also buy very little in
the way of cereal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 06/06/2015 11:49 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 20:27:31 -0600, graham > wrote:
>>
>>> I was going to buy a packet of Post bran cereal the other day but balked
>>> at the price. It appears to have *doubled* in the last ~3 years.
>>> Graham

>> The grocery store checked commented just today that prices are going
>> up fast. Honestly, I don't even want to know the details anymore.
>> Just hand me the bill and I'll pay it. That said, I did check the
>> price of a 16 oz jar of honey today (no shelf tag, they said it was a
>> new item). It's a California product and only $5.99! I didn't buy it
>> because I'd just bought honey from Trader Joe's. Now I'm thinking
>> I'll return the TJ's honey unopened and buy this one.
>>

> Honey prices have increased due to the prevalence of Colony Collapse that
> has now been diagnosed as the result of nicotinioid sprays.
> Graham

The number of colonies, production per colony, and total honey production
are all up. Honey production is up 19% y/y.

CCD had NOT been affirmatively diagnosed as due to nicotinioids, and there
is much evidence to dispute that theory.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 11:21:44 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> " wrote:
> >
> > Why do you think they place the name brand cereal at eye level?
> > IF you pay attention you will see the store brand is usually
> > on the bottom shelf.

> Store brand is very often just as good and maybe even the same in a
> different package.
>
> Not always though. A few of them are very inferior.
>
> One ex: Essential-everyday mayo is horrible slime. Don't ever buy
> that.

Mayo is one thing I do buy the Kraft brand but I must admit I
did buy a small jar of Parade mayonnaise (some store or generic
brand) last year. Surprisingly it tasted _exactly_ like
Kraft. Aldi also stocks their brand called Bermans/Bermanns,
not exactly sure of the spelling, but it's their version of
Hellman's. I've not tried it yet but may try small jar someday.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 12:35:25 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message:
>
> > Why do you think they place the name brand cereal at eye level?
> > IF you pay attention you will see the store brand is usually
> > on the bottom shelf.

> Dur. You're forgetting that I worked in retail. I also buy very little in
> the way of cereal.

Yes, K Mart.

And what the sam hill is 'Dur'? Is that supposed to be 'duh'
or is that a made up word?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 11:13:51 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 07/06/2015 11:08 AM, Janet B wrote:
>> On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 09:55:00 -0600, graham > wrote:

snip

>>> Honey prices have increased due to the prevalence of Colony Collapse
>>> that has now been diagnosed as the result of nicotinioid sprays.
>>> Graham

>> Really? I haven't kept up with that like I should have. Thanks, I'll
>> check.
>> Janet US
>>

>Sorry but I should have put an "almost certainly" in there for the price
>increase.
>However, colony collapse has been a very serious problem for the last
>few years.
>Graham

I knew about colony collapse and have been following along, but I
hadn't realized the cause had been determined. That's big.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 09:55:00 -0600, graham > wrote:

> Honey prices have increased due to the prevalence of Colony Collapse
> that has now been diagnosed as the result of nicotinioid sprays.

Is that what seeds are coated with? I read it was because of the dust
from whatever it is they coat seeds with and then air sow.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 11:13:51 -0600, graham > wrote:

> However, colony collapse has been a very serious problem for the last
> few years.

I certainly has been!

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/06/2015 11:36 AM, taxed and spent wrote:
> "graham" > wrote in message

>>> The grocery store checked commented just today that prices are going
>>> up fast. Honestly, I don't even want to know the details anymore.
>>> Just hand me the bill and I'll pay it. That said, I did check the
>>> price of a 16 oz jar of honey today (no shelf tag, they said it was a
>>> new item). It's a California product and only $5.99! I didn't buy it
>>> because I'd just bought honey from Trader Joe's. Now I'm thinking
>>> I'll return the TJ's honey unopened and buy this one.
>>>

>> Honey prices have increased due to the prevalence of Colony Collapse that
>> has now been diagnosed as the result of nicotinioid sprays.
>> Graham
>>

> The number of colonies, production per colony, and total honey production
> are all up. Honey production is up 19% y/y.
>

> CCD had NOT been affirmatively diagnosed as due to nicotinioids, and there
> is much evidence to dispute that theory.

http://laughingsquid.com/someone-is-...-the-internet/
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 20:27:31 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
> > I was going to buy a packet of Post bran cereal the other day but
> > balked at the price. It appears to have doubled in the last ~3
> > years. Graham

> The grocery store checked commented just today that prices are going
> up fast. Honestly, I don't even want to know the details anymore.
> Just hand me the bill and I'll pay it. That said, I did check the
> price of a 16 oz jar of honey today (no shelf tag, they said it was a
> new item). It's a California product and only $5.99! I didn't buy it
> because I'd just bought honey from Trader Joe's. Now I'm thinking
> I'll return the TJ's honey unopened and buy this one.

I need to get more honey. I don't use it often but we hit banana bread
time here and i used up my last of it. Since i use it for cooking
mostly, I don't need fancy stuff.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> " wrote:
> >
> > Why do you think they place the name brand cereal at eye level?
> > IF you pay attention you will see the store brand is usually
> > on the bottom shelf.

> Store brand is very often just as good and maybe even the same in a
> different package.
>
> Not always though. A few of them are very inferior.
>
> One ex: Essential-everyday mayo is horrible slime. Don't ever buy
> that.

I find at least 60% of the store stuff is fine, 20% is BETTER and some
20% is not up to snuff. It probably depends high on the product.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-06-07 11:55 AM, graham wrote:
> On 06/06/2015 11:49 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 20:27:31 -0600, graham > wrote:
>>
>>> I was going to buy a packet of Post bran cereal the other day but balked
>>> at the price. It appears to have *doubled* in the last ~3 years.
>>> Graham

>> The grocery store checked commented just today that prices are going
>> up fast. Honestly, I don't even want to know the details anymore.
>> Just hand me the bill and I'll pay it. That said, I did check the
>> price of a 16 oz jar of honey today (no shelf tag, they said it was a
>> new item). It's a California product and only $5.99! I didn't buy it
>> because I'd just bought honey from Trader Joe's. Now I'm thinking
>> I'll return the TJ's honey unopened and buy this one.
>>

> Honey prices have increased due to the prevalence of Colony Collapse
> that has now been diagnosed as the result of nicotinioid sprays.

First of all, that would be neonicotinoid. Secondly, that is only one
of the suspected causes of Colony Collapse, which has been going on
since before the development and use of neonicotinoids.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave, I, too, am a shredded wheat fan...I like the big biscuits, and break them up, sprinkle
some sugar on, and then milk.

I find myself buying the "old fashioned" cereals, on the few occasions I buy cereal...corn flakes.
Cheerios, Puffed Wheat, Kix...yum. I do use Sugar Frosted Flakes in a cookie recipe and I do
like Sugar Pops (I think that's the name). I probably should eat more cereal and less toast for
breakfast. ;-)). Those old types are very nostalgia-creating for me, as those are the cereals we
had when I was growing up.

I do buy Cinnamon Toast Crunch for when my grandchildren are here. I tasted one of those
"crazy little squares" the other day and it was pretty tasty!

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I liked Trix when I was a kid. Riteaid did have Corn Chex but not now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 12:35:25 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message:
>>
>> > Why do you think they place the name brand cereal at eye level?
>> > IF you pay attention you will see the store brand is usually
>> > on the bottom shelf.

>> Dur. You're forgetting that I worked in retail. I also buy very little
>> in
>> the way of cereal.
>>

> Yes, K Mart.
>
> And what the sam hill is 'Dur'? Is that supposed to be 'duh'
> or is that a made up word?

I worked at other places besides K Mart. And I am not the only one who uses
"dur". If I wanted "duh" then I would have said that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 6:34:00 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
> >>
> >> Dur. You're forgetting that I worked in retail. I also buy very little
> >> in
> >> the way of cereal.

> > And what the sam hill is 'Dur'? Is that supposed to be 'duh'
> > or is that a made up word?

> I worked at other places besides K Mart. And I am not the only one who uses
> "dur". If I wanted "duh" then I would have said that.

Give me three (3) examples of who else uses the term 'dur.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/06/2015 4:38 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Dave, I, too, am a shredded wheat fan...I like the big biscuits, and break them up, sprinkle
> some sugar on, and then milk.

On Nevski Bridge, a soldier stood.
Chewing his beard for lack of food.
He said: "this stuff is tough to eat,
but a darn sight better than Shredded Wheat!"

Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I sometimes use da for the.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 4:23:56 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

> >>Trailer Trash Jo-Anne?

> > Yes, that's the one!

> Riiiiiiiiiiight! We should do this more often. Let's see how they like it
> up 'em!

Well Brucie and OhFeelme, neither one of you dunces can read.
And no, I don't live in a trailer, never have.

Longing for cereal Becca General Cooking 53 26-06-2009 08:22 PM
Cereal Muffins Mr. Bill[_2_] Baking 0 03-05-2009 01:31 PM
Cereal for Breakfast ? Alexm General Cooking 33 06-08-2008 08:21 PM
cereal snow duck General Cooking 7 29-09-2007 08:01 PM
How to Eat Breakfast Cereal? Andy[_2_] General Cooking 33 10-07-2007 04:48 PM