Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Article: "Manly Men Eat Spicy Food. It's Just Science Fact"

From January.

http://bitterempire.com/manly-men-ea...-science-fact/

Manly Men Eat Spicy Food. It's Just Science Fact

Naomi Kritzer January 8, 2015 SciTech

There's an article making the rounds about how men with higher testosterone levels prefer spicier foods. The study was done in France. Men were tested for testosterone levels, then handed a plate of mashed potatoes and as many little packets of Tabasco sauce they wanted to add to flavor it, along with salt packets. Providing the Tabasco and salt in packets made it easy to determine how much was used as researchers could just count the open packets.

Big reveal: Higher testosterone correlated with a higher use of Tabasco, but not salt.

The thing about the full study was the way they recruited the men: they told them they'd be doing a food-tasting session that had been organized by a food research company, to do a sensory analysis of food that was going to be developed commercially in the future. The men were instructed to abstain from food or drink (other than water) for three hours beforehand, to ensure that they'd be reasonably hungry. Once they showed up, they were presented with 150g of mashed potatoes, 50 satchets of Tabasco sauce (the paper refers to these as "doses"), and 80 satchets of salt. They were also given an information sheets warning them of the risks of adding Tabasco, i.e., that one dose would be spicy while six doses might cause "temporary extinction of the sense of taste" and "vomiting."

So. Imagine. You're a man between the ages of 18 and 45 and you've been recruited, you thought, for a food research study. You show up expecting to be served something like papaya-flavored yogurt or maybe a quinoa-based breakfast cereal or peppermint frosting. Instead, they hand you a plate with 150g of mashed potatoes on it. Along with fifty satchets of Tabasco sauce. And a chart telling you that six satchets might make you vomit. Delicious!

What I want to know -- and of course the study doesn't tell me -- is how these people reacted, and how the research assistants kept a straight face. Potatoes? Really? You're testing mashed potatoes? (My husband, on hearing this study, wanted to know who puts Tabasco on their mashed potatoes, anyway. "People who aren't being provided butter or gravy?" I said.)

Not included in the study results: if you're a man from Grenoble, France, even if you have high testosterone, you are likely to be generous and accommodating to scientific researchers. Either that, or they made some reasonably high-quality mashed potatoes behind the scenes in that lab. This was France; I suppose that part may have been just a given.

(end)

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 Jun 2015 07:22:01 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> My husband, on hearing this study, wanted to know who puts Tabasco on their mashed potatoes, anyway.

That was my first thought too.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2015 9:25 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jun 2015 07:22:01 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>> My husband, on hearing this study, wanted to know who puts Tabasco on their mashed potatoes, anyway.

> That was my first thought too.

Potato profanity, if you ask me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 10:25:59 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jun 2015 07:22:01 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
> > My husband, on hearing this study, wanted to know who puts Tabasco on their mashed potatoes, anyway.

> That was my first thought too.
>
> --
>
> sf

They would have gotten a better result of they had provided something that actually pairs with Tabasco Sauce, like chili or spanish rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2015 5:14 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> And I will respond back using the word
> "sissy".
>
> -sw

Dwarf love letters...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 4:16:28 PM UTC-7, La Mirada wrote:
> On 6/4/2015 5:14 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > And I will respond back using the word
> > "sissy".
> >
> > -sw

> Dwarf love letters...

Impotent little troll.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2015 7:14 PM, ..... wrote:
> On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 4:16:28 PM UTC-7, La Mirada wrote:
>> On 6/4/2015 5:14 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> And I will respond back using the word
>>> "sissy".
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Dwarf love letters...

> Impotent little troll.

Pliers, please!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2015 9:58 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Christopher Helms" > wrote in message

>>> on > their mashed potatoes, anyway.
>>>
>>> That was my first thought too.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> sf

>> They would have gotten a better result of they had provided something
>> that actually pairs with Tabasco Sauce, like chili or spanish rice.

> Or even plain rice. I know someone who puts Siraccha sauce on that.

That works!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 6:22:09 PM UTC-7, La Mirada wrote:
> On 6/4/2015 7:14 PM, ..... wrote:

> >> Dwarf love letters...

> > Impotent little troll.
> >

> Pliers, please!

Is this your "devastating wit?" Such a worthless tiresome boner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 6:22:09 PM UTC-7, La Mirada wrote:
> On 6/4/2015 7:14 PM, ..... wrote:

> >> Dwarf love letters...

> > Impotent little troll.
> >

> Pliers, please!

So you might find your miniscule testicles? Really tiny troll, you have nothing to gain here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca EmaNymton > wrote in
:

>> That was my first thought too.

> In a BBQ restaurant, I saw someone place a few drops of
> Tabasco sauce on their scoop of potato salad. Of course I had
> to try it and it tasted pretty good, I think it was the zing
> of the extra vinegar. Not so sure about mashed potatoes,
> though.

Just do it and stop agonizing over it. Then you'll know either
way.

--
"If you are neutral in situations of injustice,
you have chosen the side of the oppressor " --

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2015 11:27 PM, ..... wrote:
> On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 6:22:09 PM UTC-7, La Mirada wrote:

>>> Impotent little troll.
>>>

>> Pliers, please!

> Is this your "devastating wit?" Such a worthless tiresome boner.

No, it was someone else's wit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGTY_jTZ-Zo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2015 11:53 PM, ..... wrote:
> On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 6:22:09 PM UTC-7, La Mirada wrote:

>>> Impotent little troll.
>>>

>> Pliers, please!

> So you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGTY_jTZ-Zo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2015 12:42 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 2:11:29 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Ah, that's the GOOD stuff...and of course the Chipotle as well.

>> I don't like Chipotle.

> Then don't buy it.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

She hasn't figured out we don't care if she doesn't like it.

Personally I find most Tabasco sauce boring. As for the study, salt or
Tabasco sauce? Salt. Where's the butter?! The sour cream? I
certainly wouldn't put it on mashed potatoes.

But the jalapeno version Tabasco is hardly worth mentioning. Jalapenos
are not all that hot. IMHO.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 13:06:05 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> But the jalapeno version Tabasco is hardly worth mentioning.

I've tried them all, thanks to the restaurants that have them all
available for customers and decided I'm a fan of original flavor.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 6/5/2015 12:42 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I don't like Chipotle.

>> Then don't buy it.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> She hasn't figured out we don't care if she doesn't like it.
>
> Personally I find most Tabasco sauce boring. As for the study, salt or
> Tabasco sauce? Salt. Where's the butter?! The sour cream? I certainly
> wouldn't put it on mashed potatoes.
>
> But the jalapeno version Tabasco is hardly worth mentioning. Jalapenos
> are not all that hot. IMHO.

I eat it because I like the flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 Jun 2015 15:03:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

> >> I don't like Chipotle.

> > Then don't buy it.

> What makes you think I do?

So it was just another example of you doing what you claim you don't
do? ie: insert needless negativity into every thread.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2015 4:44 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Then don't buy it.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> She hasn't figured out we don't care if she doesn't like it.
>>
>> Personally I find most Tabasco sauce boring. As for the study, salt
>> or Tabasco sauce? Salt. Where's the butter?! The sour cream? I
>> certainly wouldn't put it on mashed potatoes.
>>
>> But the jalapeno version Tabasco is hardly worth mentioning.
>> Jalapenos are not all that hot. IMHO.

> I eat it because I like the flavor.

Best reason.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Jun 2015 15:03:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>> > Then don't buy it.

>> What makes you think I do?

> So it was just another example of you doing what you claim you don't
> do? ie: insert needless negativity into every thread.

I see. So it is negativity now if I state my opinion? You don't like wet
burritos. Jill doesn't like cold foods. It's okay for you to say those
things, which I see as an opinion. Not negativity.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2015 8:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 5 Jun 2015 15:03:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> I >> >>> never
>>> complexity. >> >>> But

>>> have >> >> the

>>> What makes you think I do?

>> So it was just another example of you doing what you claim you don't
>> do? ie: insert needless negativity into every thread.

> I see. So it is negativity now if I state my opinion? You don't like
> wet burritos. Jill doesn't like cold foods. It's okay for you to say
> those things, which I see as an opinion. Not negativity.

We don't beat people over the head with those opinions.

I don't repond to every thread that mentions salads or raw vegetables or
cold food with a negative comment. Yet I cannot begin to count (nor
would I want to) the number of times you've posted you don't like
*cooked* vegetables. That's the difference. You slam RFC with your
dislikes. Constantly.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 6/5/2015 8:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 5 Jun 2015 15:03:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> So it was just another example of you doing what you claim you don't
>>> do? ie: insert needless negativity into every thread.

>> I see. So it is negativity now if I state my opinion? You don't like
>> wet burritos. Jill doesn't like cold foods. It's okay for you to say
>> those things, which I see as an opinion. Not negativity.

> We don't beat people over the head with those opinions.

I see. So... My saying that I don't like Chipotle is beating people over
the heads? How so?

> I don't repond to every thread that mentions salads or raw vegetables or
> cold food with a negative comment. Yet I cannot begin to count (nor would
> I want to) the number of times you've posted you don't like *cooked*
> vegetables. That's the difference. You slam RFC with your dislikes.
> Constantly.

Where did I say that I don't like cooked vegetables? That's total nonsense.
I eat cooked vegetables all the time! Last night I ate the meatloaf that I
made from scratch, including the chili sauce that I made from scratch.
Both the meatloaf and the chili sauce had cooked vegetables in them. I also
had green beans straight from the can. Oh whoa! I know that you know that
I have said that before because you called me out on it! And you thought
that when I said that, I took the can to the sink and ate them there. Nope.
Took the beans straight from the can onto my plate. I *will* eat hot,
cooked green beans. I just prefer them like that. How many more lies are
you going to spout? Now what I probably said was that I prefer some
vegetables raw. Like carrots. But there is an exception. I do like the
large (as in not baby) carrots, roasted with beef. I don't know if I prefer
them over raw. Both are damned good. And what I also said was that *in
this house* we eat more raw vegetables than we do cooked. We all *like* raw
vegetables.

Now do you see any complaints in any of that? I don't. I was saying not
only what *I* liked but what my *family* liked too. And we all like my
meatloaf!

I don't respond to every thread either. There are a lot of threads I don't
go into at all. Because they are of no interest to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2015 9:59 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> I see. So it is negativity now if I state my opinion? You don't like
>>> wet burritos. Jill doesn't like cold foods. It's okay for you to say
>>> those things, which I see as an opinion. Not negativity.

>> We don't beat people over the head with those opinions.

> I see. So... My saying that I don't like Chipotle is beating people
> over the heads? How so?
>>
>> I don't repond to every thread that mentions salads or raw vegetables
>> or cold food with a negative comment. Yet I cannot begin to count
>> (nor would I want to) the number of times you've posted you don't like
>> *cooked* vegetables. That's the difference. You slam RFC with your
>> dislikes. Constantly.

> Where did I say that I don't like cooked vegetables? That's total
> nonsense.

I'll let someone else take the time to look it up. Trust me, you said it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 6/5/2015 9:59 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> We don't beat people over the head with those opinions.

>> I see. So... My saying that I don't like Chipotle is beating people
>> over the heads? How so?
>>>
>>> I don't repond to every thread that mentions salads or raw vegetables
>>> or cold food with a negative comment. Yet I cannot begin to count
>>> (nor would I want to) the number of times you've posted you don't like
>>> *cooked* vegetables. That's the difference. You slam RFC with your
>>> dislikes. Constantly.

>> Where did I say that I don't like cooked vegetables? That's total
>> nonsense.

> I'll let someone else take the time to look it up. Trust me, you said it.

Nope. I may have said it in reference to a specific vegetable. Such as
broccoli, which I can't eat now because I won't digest it but if it were not
for that... I would eat it raw but not cooked. I probably also said that I
don't really like cooked cabbage, which I can't eat now either. But to make
a claim that I said that I hate cooked vegetables? Laughable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 22:47:13 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> I'll let someone else take the time to look it up. Trust me, you said it.

That wasn't my point. My point is whenever we bring up practically
*any* food subject, she responds with a negative comment based on
herself - effectively turning the subject to *her*. Me me me.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 22:47:13 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> I'll let someone else take the time to look it up. Trust me, you said
>> it.

> That wasn't my point. My point is whenever we bring up practically
> *any* food subject, she responds with a negative comment based on
> herself - effectively turning the subject to *her*. Me me me.

That's not true at all. I said that I liked the green Jalapeno kind of
Tabasco. Liked it! And I was told not to mention it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 6:03:59 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

> >> I don't like Chipotle.

> > Then don't buy it.

> What makes you think I do?

I don't think you do.

However, I don't see the point, when someone says "I like chipotle Tabasco"
for you to say "I don't like Chipotle". He wasn't exhorting you to buy
it; he was merely saying that he likes it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 6:03:59 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

>> > Then don't buy it.

>> What makes you think I do?

> I don't think you do.
>
> However, I don't see the point, when someone says "I like chipotle
> Tabasco"
> for you to say "I don't like Chipotle". He wasn't exhorting you to buy
> it; he was merely saying that he likes it.

Yet when I said that I liked the Jalapeno kind, I was told that I shouldn't
have mentioned it. Why the double standard? And why in the world would you
think that I thought that he wanted me to buy it? Why do people here treat
me like I should have no opinion on things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Jun 2015 03:18:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> However, I don't see the point, when someone says "I like chipotle Tabasco"
> for you to say "I don't like Chipotle". He wasn't exhorting you to buy
> it; he was merely saying that he likes it.

That's the way she turns the subject around to herself.

--

sf